Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 876-900 | 901-925 | 926-950  | next › last »

jfcaa193

02-14-2012 01:45:10 | More by jfcaa193
superspak

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

750 ml bottle into wine glass, bottled in 2008. Pours extremely hazy red orange color with a foamy 1 finger off white head with poor retention that reduces to almost nothing. Aromas of strong raspberries, booze, and some tartness and big sweetness. The nose isn’t particularly inviting, but is alright. Taste of huge booze up front with some raspberries, malty sweetness, and some spiciness. Lingering notes of sweetness and booze on the finish. Big alcohol in the taste and a huge warming on the finish. This is pretty much undrinkable, way too much alcohol presence. Big syrupy mouthfeel with light-medium carbonation. This was just not good at all, my first drain pour. I could not see myself finishing this bottle.

07-27-2011 18:45:15 | More by superspak
tribial

1.9/5  rDev -48.4%

Drank on 12/1/08 bottled on 11/13/06.

I was expecting a lot from this beer, but was severely disappointed.
Granted, I'm not a big fan of fruit beers. I was expecting it to taste, and smell, a lot more like raspberries for the ton it was brewed with.
It came out of the bottle a nice deep red with almost no head, dissipated fast, leaving a tiny ring of foam around the glass.
Smelled very slightly of raspberries,but not in the way I'd like. More dulled and bland then the tart brightness of fresh raspberries, also had the smell of alcohol to be expected.
The taste was not good. Decent maybe, but still an off tasting brew. The raspberries were present but the alcohol flavor pretty much covered them, a chemical taste was present.
The mouthfeel was ok, but you didn't want to keep it in their long.
Very hard to drink. If I hadn't paid for the bottle I would have gladly sent it other places then my stomach. but at the price I really tried to like it.

The second glass is better... but that's because you probably have a nice buzz after the first glass.

12-02-2008 04:08:55 | More by tribial
BeerZack

1.85/5  rDev -49.7%

Murky orange, almost amber color with little ring of bubbles that does lace.

Smell is very intense booze. [I had to let this one "breathe" for an hour+ before I could stand to smell and drink it.] Sugary sweetness and whiffs of perfumy dried fruit. Still very hot.

Syrupy sugary thick maltiness reminds me of a Belgian Quad with a dose of cheap fruit wine. Overly sweet and alcoholic, very medicinal impression (cherry cough syrup).

The drinkability on this one is very low. The alcohol even burns the tongue; like you're drinking MD 20/20 from a fancy bottle. This one has got to get better with age because it is pretty much undrinkable now.

04-21-2008 06:24:46 | More by BeerZack
Klym

1.8/5  rDev -51.1%

I had pretty high hopes when I picked up a bottle of this because I have a big appreciation for bold flavors and for beers that try to tame in high ABVs. Not to mention, I've mostly had great experiences with DFH. I'm sorry to say it was a major disappointment and the first drainpour I've ever done with a beer from a well-respected brewery of the likes of DFH, and one of the very few I've ever done.

Smells and tastes like someone melted pounds of raspberry and blackberry candy into a vat of vodka. It's as though they tried to at least hide the alcohol by going over the top in sweetness but instead you get double punched by both over the top sweetness and over the top heat. I'm someone who can really enjoy a sweet beer and loves, for example, dessert stouts, but this is the type of sweetness you'd expect from a smirnoff ice special release, not a DFH special release. I honestly thought of mixing this beer with water to make it bearable so I wouldn't have to drainpour it. I don't know what to say, pure sweetness and pure alcohol that do nothing to mitigate one another and fight in your mouth in the most unpleasant battle ever. The only reason I don't give this an F is because I'm open to the possibility that there must be some niche out there that loves both syrup and vodka and would find some comfort in this beer. For anyone who enjoys well-managed flavors and complexity, this beer is an easy avoid.

07-08-2011 18:57:26 | More by Klym
Stinkypuss

1.65/5  rDev -55.2%

Dogfish Head Fort

Pours a pinkish brown with a short livid head. Aroma of raspberries and some lofty alcohol. In the taste, bitter raspberry, honey, wheat malt and alcohol. Also has some rotten vegetation notes Sickeningly sweet too, almost as if it were "off". Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, and the alcohol burns. All in all you could not pay me to drink this stuff again. A hot mess, I'd age this and hope for the best maybe time (decades) can smooth it out.

01-02-2011 16:36:44 | More by Stinkypuss
atowle25

1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

06-05-2011 19:56:44 | More by atowle25
ryane

1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

It had a bit of a funky smell, definately some honey in there, very warming finish, taste is something in between a fruit beer and a mead, very little to no raspberry flavor, carbonation is a bit high and bites especially in the finish

Not something I would recomend to anyone to pick up, I am continually amazed by the low quality of offerings by DFH, seems everyone is always in love with their beers, its not always wise to take things to the absolute extreme, balance is the hallmark of a quality beer

03-05-2009 02:35:59 | More by ryane
antoines15

1.58/5  rDev -57.1%

A - seems harmless enough, nothing special

S - smells fruity and boozy

T - here is where this "beer" just loses me. The alcohol is not hidden well at all as you taste every bit of the 18% and no much of the raspberry flavor. Not sure why you would make something like this to begin with.

M - carbonated and burns the tongue and throat as it goes down. Very harsh

D - if you couldn't tell, I find this to be almost undrinkable and I shared the bottle with five other people. I didn't even want to finish my 6 oz sample. Bleh. I saw someone compared it to mad dog 20/20 and i couldn't agree more. would not recommend it.

04-03-2010 21:44:03 | More by antoines15
Turbodog666

1.5/5  rDev -59.2%

01-03-2012 23:07:23 | More by Turbodog666
jdklks

Nevada

1.35/5  rDev -63.3%

shared this one with my buddy Jmoore50.

Dogfish Head continues to disappoint me as one of, if not the, most overrated breweries out there. If there is any question as to which is better, consistent quality or uniqueness, Dogfish Head provides us emphatically with the answer of consistent quality (because their attempt at uniqueness is laughable at best). Seriously, this beer has NO business being 18%, and why? Being familiar with many DFH brews, my guess would be for novelty.

The appearance is the ONLY place where this beer shines. super filtered and super clear. dark-golden, almost amber color with a little off white head that fades quickly. the smell is of raspberries soaked in gasoline.

Everything here is straight-forward. there is no complexity, let alone nuance to be taken from this. as the smell suggests, it tastes like raspberries soaking in gasoline, and its as hot on the palate and in the esophagus as any hard liquor. I dont think it was barrel aged, but there is (oddly) a sense of oakiness in the aftertaste (or maybe it is flavor of my taste-buds disintegrating). Absolutely disgusting.

Moutfeel is much much too hot. carbonation is off. drinkability- it would have been a drainpour had i not been sharing it and thus only had to drink half. It got to be tolerable near the end, but watch out and hold your breath for the first couple of tastes.

once again, an example of what happens when a brewery is "experimental" to the point of being WAY over the top. blah.

12-18-2009 18:42:36 | More by jdklks
lbkornlb14

1.35/5  rDev -63.3%

This beer is horrendous. I love dogfish head beers and am making a trip to the brewery in the coming weeks, me and my friend buy up any varieties we come across in distributors because we love DFH so much. That being said, this beer to me was undrinkable, expecting a fruit bomb, it was more like a straight alcohol taste, with a slight hint of raspberries, it was the definiton of "too much", although i know alot of time and effort was put into this beer, I will never buy it again, put it this way, it was so bad I dumped it down the drain after about 5 minutes. big miss.

08-04-2008 02:23:01 | More by lbkornlb14
corby112

1.35/5  rDev -63.3%

Pours a dark cloudy amber/orange color with some golden ruby hues when held to a light source and a thin white foam head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing behind.

Sour funky aroma with a subtle hint of raspberry which is surprising, until you take a sip. Massive alcohol presence which makes this beer smell more like Mad Dog 20/20 than a beer.

Once again the alcohol dominates the flavor taking away from any semblance of other flavors including the faint hints of raspberry and sugar. Firey alcohol burn lasts throughout warming up the chest in the finish.

I thought that this beer was flat out disgusting and undrinkable. It is the only beer I have ever drain poured. I guess if you want to get wasted there could be some value in it but I would just stick with Mad Dog. Gross!

08-28-2009 22:26:25 | More by corby112
ArrogantB

Colorado

1.3/5  rDev -64.7%

750ml bottle 2008 vintage. I knew this would be a tough beer but I was still completely unprepared for this shit. Sort of a light orange with a pinkish hue. Aroma is acetone and nail polish remover, disgusting. Flavor is very sweet, hint of raspberries and overwhelming alcohol. It was what I imagine industrial cleaning supplies to taste like. I think this was the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life .

10-07-2012 17:06:06 | More by ArrogantB