Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 510 | Hads: 1,045
3.77/5  rDev +3%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

3.74/5  rDev +2.2%

I have had this fresh on tap at the brewery, a bottle about 6 month old, and most recently a bottle that was a little over a year old. I can definitely attest to this beer getting better with age.

I shared this bottle at the first Central Ohio beer tasting. Love the label. 12/2009 bottling.

The beer is a mild amber color, mostly clear. Not much head but we weren't in a rush to take a full pour of a beer so strong.

The smell has really opened up on this with some age. Some were complaining of the booziness, but for a beer of 18% you've got to expect that, no matter how well hidden it is. Still, I felt that the alcohol had mellowed nicely in one short year, I can see why some hold onto this for 5+ years.

Lots of raspberry and blackberry notes can be found in the aroma. The fruit is sweet and ripe, with a moderate sting of alcohol on the finish.

The taste is certainly hot, but tart raspberries distract the palate from the alcohol well. Sweet with a nice warming deep in the throat.

Ultimately this beer is very hot no matter how you slice it. I went into this bottle expecting exactly that, and wasn't disappointed with the beer. If you go into it thinking that 18% abv will somehow be masked completely you're not going to like this. Despite the alcohol, this is most definitely not undrinkable. A fine sipper that I wish we had more time to appreciate at our tasting. Not a beer to rush through.

2.96/5  rDev -19.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: It poured a very cloudy amber with a pink hue. Beautiful looking glass of beer. There was pretty much no head at all and the little it had dissipated fast.

S: Lots going on in my nose. Tons of fruity aromas. Seemed to have a tart smell, kind of weird feeling in my nostrils.

T: WOW. So boozy, and definitely all raspberries. Very sweet, a little too much for me. And by little... I mean a lot.

MF: The strong flavor tingles in your mouth. Almost feels like a raspberry fizzy candy. I don't think it drinks well at all, solely based on how much booze the flavor has.

O: I'd say it was worth trying and was great with a good meal but I'm a little disappointed in how much I had to spend to try it. Definitely not getting it again unless I hold a beer tasting with my friends.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Vintage 06

A: Deep orange-bronze. No head, no lacing. I guess with a beer clocking in at 18%, that can be expected.

S: Huge raspberry blast. It's like putting your nose into a jar of jam, with booze mixed in.

T: Raspberry flavor is unreal, not all that natural tasting. The fruit is there with sugar, but not in the cloying sense. The booziness to it probably died down, but still fairly strong.

M: Medium body, for such a big beer. A touch syrupy at time, minimal alcohol burn, considering the ABV.

O/D: Certainly an interesting beer. It's a fruit beer, almost drinks like a cocktail. Not something I'd try again, but it was so unique, I'm glad I had it. Can't really recommend it, unless you want big time fruity sweetness.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

I wanted to get my hands on this beer for a very long time. When I finally found it I bought a few bottles and had some at the brewpub. I love the intensity that this beer has. It's super string and very flavorful. The beer tingled your tongue and sweet and tart raspberry goodness. The alcohol leaves a mellow burning in the after taste. The color is a pretty reddish pink. It's got a pretty heavy feel to it as well with not much head. I enjoy this beer on it's own just sipping it over the course an hour or so. Very strong, it'll knock your socks off.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Updated review to average in the '07 batch I'm drinking now, along with the previous reviewed batch.

750 mL, '09 batch.

Reddish tan and just a touch hazy but mostly clear*. Many fine bubbles rise all along the sides of my duvel tulip glass. It didn't produce much head but there's some clumpy lacing. Overall quite nice to look at, very inviting.

The smell is a little subdued. Primarily alcoholic and raspberry notes dominate. There's some other fruits mixed in there, along with some spiciness and a little bit of a Belgian ale aroma.

Taste is very, very nice. The raspberries are strong, but not overpoweringly so. The ale base comes through letting you know this is a beer and not a cordial. It's definitely sweet but not so much that it loses its beery qualities.**

Feel is medium bodied, surprisingly, I expected it to be very thick. Clean and smooth, despite the high abv, which isn't at all overpowering, although it is noticeable. Aftertaste is of sweet raspberries and lingers beautifully.

Overall this beer is quite an experience to be sure. Very much a credit to the brewery, DFH once again leads the way in innovation.

I poured a little bit into my chicken marinade as well, should make a lovely flavor addition!

*'07 batch was much cloudier, almost brown in appearance, with more sediment and had less head and lacing, but still had nice rising bubbles.

**the '07 batch seemed a little mellower and easy to drink, also just a little more malty than the first go-round. Essentially they were not very much different tho, both were great, but the appearance of the newer batch was definitely superior

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Bottled in 2008. I figured this was a good buy for 12.99

A- Color of a lighter version of bloody mary, bloody orange? Head disappears immediately, it is 18% so thats understandable.

S- Raspberries, fresh ones, sweet ones, candied raspberries, raspberry puree, everything raspberry you could think of, thats what this smells like. Yea, it smells good.

T- Raspberry, some dark chocolate notes, definitely alcohol which seems to work in tandem with the fruity raspberry theme, kinda like a raspberry liquor.

M- Light bodied, enough carbonation to make this tasty.

I picked it up for the unique factor I definitely wouldnt pick it up again, been there done that kind of attitude. I wouldnt dissuade someone from picking it up at the price point that I did which I think is pretty reasonable. If you see if for anything higher pass on it. And make sure it has some age on it I cant imagine how boozy this must be fresh.

3.19/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Shared by Spider889.

The world's strongest fruit beer, eh? Thats just about as Dogfish Head as you get.
A- I was a little surprised to see this beer pour out a golden color rather than red. Come to think of it, I usually am surprised to see the color of most Dogfish beers. Seems like every one of their 750ml bottles all contain some sort of pale golden beer. Raspberries seem to have very little influence on the color, aside from a faint pinkish hue.

S- Big on raspberries. Alcohol sting mixed in with the puree/extract smelling concentration of raspberries.

T- For being 18% this beer is tame. I find that Olde School, at less than 16% or what ever it is, to have a stronger alcohol flavor. Raspberries are pretty strong too with not much else. No hops and a very meager malt profile. Its not bad, its just one dimensional.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Comes out of the bottle a hazy honey-golden - quite appealing. Fruity aroma has a bit of an alcohol nip to it. Flavor is mainly fruity - apple, banana and pear - and has a malty undertone as well as a strong, but not fierce, alcohol bite. Texture is smooth and subtly fizzy.

3.55/5  rDev -3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle, bottled in 2008. Pours a hazy amber color, with a very subtle pink hue. White head disappears immediately.

Raspberry aroma, with a huge blast of fusal alcohol. Some faint lighter malt in the nose, but mostly buried in booze.

A bit of lighter malt starts off. Some sour raspberry character. A bit of earthy hops and a lot of booze. A slight pucker at the end.

Lighter side of medium body, carbonation is also light. Huge boozy character, even after 2 years. Very unique, and an interesting thing here. A little certainly goes a long way.

4.52/5  rDev +23.5%

Appearance -Pinkish amber color topped by a half finger white head.

Smell -Imagine standing in a field of raspberries on a cool morning. Now multiply by 10. Slightly tart, slightly sweet, very boozy.

Taste -MMM...raspberries, funk, raspberries, booze, raspberries, malt, booze, raspberries. Not cloyingly sweet, not too tart. A nice balance.

Mouthfeel -A bit heavier than expected but the raspberry, booze, funk and tartness dance around the tongue.

Drinkability -More drinkable than expected. Plowed through the 750 mls on my own over the course of a couple of hours and never got burnt out of the taste.

An enjoyable "extreme" beer. Not for everyday but fun every now and then. Great work Dogfish Head!!!

3.72/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from 750ml bottle into a snifter glass. From notes: Pours a slightly hazed orange/deep gold, with a thin ring of white head. Nose is raspberry puree with sugar and alcohol, pungent hops,perfume and some oak. Tastes very strong. Of alcoholic raspberries with a bunch of fresh hops added in. Potent. A bit woodsy with a metallic twang towards the end from the warmth of the alcohol. Pretty intense overall, but as it warms it does grow on you and becomes more enjoyable. Strong fruity finish with lengthy hop bitterness. Mouthfeel is creamy yet abit prickly, at the same time. Interestingly unique beer.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Pours a golden hue with minimal head on top of an aroma that is slightly sugary and ALL raspberry it seems. A lighter body but still filling thanks to intense carbonation. Raspberry sweetness abounds thanks to the fruit and high yeast notes, but the beer is balanced enough so it's not like drinking straight razz juice or something. Finishes slightly dry and boozy, and I'll admit that I am surprised that the ABV didn't bleed into beer and ruin it.

4.82/5  rDev +31.7%

A: Pours a crisp rose color with a decent white head that goes quickly.

S: Insanely like raspberry, as if they are being crammed into my olfactory. Extremely sweet and a little essence of pale malt extract with a waft of alcohol.

T: Rich creamy and so much raspberry goodness it is almost overwhelming. It has so much raspberry depth, nothing like any other fruit beer I have ever had. It does not contain that fake sugary fruit essence, or a thin I can almost imagine it flavor. The alcohol is almost covered for such a strong beer, but as it warms it does start to creep up. The tartness of the raspberry's does get covered up by bozzyness as it warms too.

M:Thick, heavy, creamy, and it sticks making your tongue beg for more tart raspberry.

D: Extremely drinkable for an 18% brew, would be hard to drink more than one though.

2.7/5  rDev -26.2%

When I first poured this... What the hell? The color seems quite thin and transparent. There were a lot of head and carbonation fizzing up. It reminded me a bit of Duvel, but with a bit more carbonation.

Smell - I definitely can smell the raspberries coming out of this bottle, and it was alright.

Taste - I personally thought the taste was peculiar for something that I usually love: raspberries. The raspberry flavor is there, which I like, but I felt that something else was screwing it up.

Mouthfeel - It's too thin and over-carbonated for my taste. It's too bubbly in my mouth. It felt a bit like a cheap sparkling juice a recovering alcoholic might drink at a New Year's Eve party.

Drinkability - I guess a lot of people would like this, but it's not very drinkable for me because mainly of the carbonation. I tried hard to try liking it, but couldn't. It's, by far, my least favorite Dogfish Head beer.

4.3/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been awhile since I've reviewed but here goes. This beer was cellared two years ago, so it should be an interesting review.

Appearance: Not a huge head, but good carbonation. Hard to care what the appearance is for an atypical, a-style beer like this so who really cares?

Smell: Robust raspberry aroma mixed with mild alcoholic bite.

Taste: Alcohol more pronounced in the flavor than smell. Not surprising since it's 18% abv! A little on the hot side but the raspberries really help to balance. Little bit of a bite on the finish but not intolerable.

Mouthfeel: Unlike many raspberry beers not remotely cloying. Might be due to the alcohol cutting through sweetness/stickiness. Actually quite excellent.

Drinkability: I love this beer! It's sip-able, but also quite tasty and reminds me of a nice mix between cognac and beer.

Really what do you expect when you pour an 18% ABV? It has a bit of an alcohol bite but this shouldn't be a surprise and is ultimately the reason one buys a big beer, no?

4.36/5  rDev +19.1%

Pour - dark ruby, almost like a pure grapefruit juice. The head is small, and dissipates quickly with drinking.

Smell - pure awesome raspberry. for a fruit beer, the smell is amazing and exactly what you would want. It ends with a slight hint of the alcohol, which is welcome after such intense sweet odors.

Taste - The taste is on point in terms of capturing fruit tastes into a well crafted brew. The high alcohol content of this beer is well masked by the intense raspberry flavor, but the end of each taste is still dominated by a small, and slight stinging alcohol taste.

Drinkability - Definitely not a great session beer, due to its high ABV and intense flavors, however a single bottle of the beer, 1 pint +9.6 fl oz, is easily drinkable by one.

Overall, a delightfully innovative and tasty fruit beer with few shortcomings.

2.64/5  rDev -27.9%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

3.77/5  rDev +3%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

1.76/5  rDev -51.9%

Dogfish Head Fort

Pours a pinkish brown with a short livid head. Aroma of raspberries and some lofty alcohol. In the taste, bitter raspberry, honey, wheat malt and alcohol. Also has some rotten vegetation notes Sickeningly sweet too, almost as if it were "off". Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, and the alcohol burns. All in all you could not pay me to drink this stuff again. A hot mess, I'd age this and hope for the best maybe time (decades) can smooth it out.

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 2.5

November 2006 bottle.

I've had this bottle for at least two years, it's been so long that i don't remember who sent it to me. Whoever it was, thanks again!

Pours a amber/pink color with a pretty good white head.

Aromas are you guessed it, raspberries. Not much else here, maybe some cream.

Taste is boozy, but not too sweet. Slick and think, light creaminess. Finish is tart, with a very raspberry character, and some alcohol warmth.

Mouthfeel is good, nice and thick.

Drinkability? Not really... Intersting beer for sure, but man, I doubt my friend and I will be able to finish this bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Dogfish Head Fort has a brown-orange colour and a decent head that turns into decent lacing quite quickly. The smell is of fruity alcohol, almost like a permanent marker. I guess that is to be accepted. The taste is sweet and fruity. The alcohol taste is immediately apparent. I like it, but I can understand why some people might not like the prominent ethanol. This beer is quite foamy for a beer of 18 %, and the alcohol sting is always there. Overall, I very interesting and nice fruit beer.

4.38/5  rDev +19.7%

Poured froma 750ml bottle into a DFH signature glass

Bottle Date: 2009

Appearance: Pours a deep ruby in color, small size head likely from the alcohol slowly dissapates leaving a thin sheet of lace around the glass. This beer has a beautiful color likely from the boatloads of raspberries that go into this beer.

Smell: Whew, not only do I get a ton of sweet raspberry and cranberry flavors up front but I get a thick aroma of booze on the back end. The fruitiness smells very authentic, with the hoppiness pairing well giving out a tiny bit of citrus here as well. The "booze" element reminds me of a 120 Minute or Olde School in the fact that it's very pungent yet very sweet smelling.

Taste: Wow, I guess a year really did good things for this beer. As much as I thought alcohol bite was going to kill this beer, it's barely noticeable! Sweet raspberry flavors burst off the glass, again very authentic, almost like crushing up a bunch of raspberries and straining the juice into the glass! A red wine like tannin flavor mixes in here making this very comparable to a port wine. Very tart without being overly sour. The hops used give off a small citrus bite towards the finish, but nothing too noticeable. The last sip shows off a tiny touch of alcohol sweetness with more of that earthy raspberry flavor.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel is a bit thick, and the carbonation is low yet a tad prickly, almost like a champagne that's gone a bit flat. A good amount of bitterness from the hops come into play here as well. This one sits nicely on the tongue without getting too wet.

Drinkability: This is by all means a sipper, coming in at 18% ABV, this one will really creep up on you with a bit of age (let this sit for a year to really experience the depth of the flavors). I like that the raspberry flavors are not fake tasting, and that the alcohol bite from sitting for a year really took a backseat so I could experience all of the fruit flavors billowing from this beer! Very comparable to a wine, your snobby red wine drinkers would really get a taste for this one! Very glad I finally got a bottle of this to experience it, because it's one of the better fruit beers out there with nothing lacking on any level. Great job DFH!

2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

Bottled 2008

A-pours a dirty, cloudy, grapefruit juice looking color with a thin off white head that dissipates quickly.

S-the nose is full of raspberries and solvent alcohol, acetone, light rotten vegetable and a hint of spice in the finish. The booze is extremely strong but the vibrant raspberry do their best to mask it in a failing attempt.

T-so much alcohol in this, huge solvent alcohol met with sweet ripe raspberry. bitter rotten vegetables blend with a white peppery spice as the acetone kicks in full gear in the finish. rough malt flavors are muddled underneath the fruit and rubbing alcohol to create a boozy fruity mess.

M-again a messy malt body with a grainy syrupy texture and heavy feel to it. strong carbonation is the highlight with a crisp biting finish to balance the syrupy feel.

D-this is rough stuff, tough to get through a whole bottle. the raspberries are great its the rest of the beer that doesn't work. just too much going on with an unfocused malt presence and overly boozy flavor.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours a hazy orange-brown with very little head that disappears immediately. Surprise, no lace.
Smell is malty, alcohol, strawberry, and dark fruits.
Taste is like sherry with malt, dark fruits, a big hit of alcohol with no noticeable raspberry but a slight strawberry note.
Full-bodied and a medium effervescence, smooth, almost chewy. A really good beer if a sipping one.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery