Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
2.96/5  rDev -19.1%

750ml bottle, '10 vintage. Split this one between about 4 people, thank god. Poured into DFH signature glass.

A: Initially this one poured like a cloudy pink grapefruit juice, but then evened out into a deep orange amber color. There was about a half finger of loose bubbled white head initially, but that disappeared rather quickly into a ring of white around the edges of the glass.

S: I video reviewed this one, and I said "nail polish remover" and I am sticking to it. The nose on this was straight booze. I don't know where some of these reviews have it any other way. I agree with one about it being 120min with raspberries, because that is right on point. There is some sweetness from the berries in there to sort of cut the booze a touch.

T: They used Warrior hops in the brewing process, but you get no hop presence at all. Nothing really on the tip of the tongue. In the middle of the mouth, you get lots of sweet malt and a hint of berries. I was really thinking that maybe there would be some fruity sweetness, but that was not the case. The close is long and it definitely warms the throat with alcohol. This is a booze bomb.

M: It's medium leading to full. No where near as thick and viscous as a stout, but the booze makes it feel bigger than what it is.

O: This is certainly not for the faint of heart. I will not be buying this beer again. Far too boozy to be enjoyable. Where are the raspberry flavors and tartness that I was expecting? Less fermentation and booze-attention grabbing, and more flavor monitoring down at DFH.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

I picked this up at BevMo a week or so ago.

Appearance- orange copper color, minimal head

Smell- sweet raspberry, alcohol, very boozy

Taste- raspberry, alcohol, very boozy

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- It was ok but very boozy. I might drink it again. I don't know. still ok though

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured on-tap and served in a snifter, the beer is a cloudy, orange-amber coloring with a frothy, dense, small bubbled off-white head. Aromas are surprisingly subtle, with a strong raspberry and booze blend of the nose. Not overly sweet or tart on the nose, it smells great. Flavors are rich, with a heavy fruit and malt sweetness balanced very well. Raspberry tartness is solid, but remaining light to avoid being overpowering, with a good, smooth, creamy malt backbone. The beer has a decent lacing along the glass, and the body is round and smooth, with a velvety texture as it clears the palate. The aftertaste is a little sharp, with the tart raspberry flavors meeting a roasted, earthy backbone. The finish has a slight linger and cloy, but the increased ABV cleans that up quickly. Very smooth and flavorful.

3.69/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

First, I liked this, but as I was having dinner at a local gastropub with a great draft list, I put this on my tasting list at the end of the meal, as or with dessert.

It was served in a small, six oz snifter. In the glass, it was dark orange color, hazy with a 1/4 inch of tight packed foam on the top when I got it. The nose was huge, with lots of tart raspberries and sweetness. The first taste is lots of raspberry and sweetness, with a little subtle bread in the back of the throat. I didn't pick up on the alcohol the way I should have. My wife tried it, who doesn't like beer, and said she liked it. The mouthfeel was lighter than I thought as well, only slightly heavy, with more carbonation than I expected. Overall, this was a very good sipper for dessert, and saved me from eating something I shouldn't.

2.18/5  rDev -40.4%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%

Sampling as I write this in a 4 oz. Intuition ale works tumbler from the bottle.

I'll keep the review simple. It's raspberry 120. Do you like Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA? It's a raspberry version of that.

A: Pours a nice golden amber with a slight 1/2" head that dissipates fast. Leaves minimal lacing with a slight halo of cat spit around the rim. Carbonation is minimal.

S: Smells of raspberries and warming alcohol.

T: Overwhelming rum notes similar to DFH 120. Very sweet with all of the supplemental raspberry/corn sugar feedings, this doesn't surprise me. Best consumed cold to prevent the alcohol from turning your mouth into a volcano. Once your tastebuds die back a bit from the alcohol, the raspberry flavors overwhelm. Hops have no chance against this beer and aren't detectable at all. Tastes like lambic vs. appleton white rum.

M: Sharp stinging sensation from the high alcohol leaves the mouth astringent, dry and tasting like raspberry vapors. Very hard to get over the alcohol presence.

O: Great for anyone that wants a fast buzz that loves raspberries and hates hops. It's like lambic on acid and will definitely git ya drunk.

3.77/5  rDev +3%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

A: orange/mild cloudy, finger white head,
nice lacing

S: big raspberry nose, boozy, vanilla, jam

T: huge raspberry, hint of cherry, mild malt,
vanilla, boozy/sticky/sour finish

M: med body, big sticky/pucker mouth

O: Interesting. Glad I tried it, don't
know if I would get again. BIG SiPPER!
Share with friends. Reminds me of
strawberry wine when I lived in the South.

A: An apricot orange flavor that fades to yellow, and a touch of haze. A nice tan head is on top.

S: Sweet raspberries with a nice subtle tart smell. There is almost a cotton candy thing in there, or perhaps chocolate covered cherries. The finish definetely tells the abv.

T: sweet raspberry, and perhaps sugar cookies. There is a nice floral note in there, almost a soft rose petal flavor. The finish is has a bit of wheat bread and a significant amount of alcohol and a touch of extract.

M: Slightly thick mouthfeel, yet it still maintains an interesting softness. Carbonation is fine in consistancy, and medium in level.

O: overall tasty, although very much a sipper beer. It is somewhere between tart and cloying. Glad i got the small size.

2.57/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap at DFH in Rehoboth Beach.

A: Served in a goblet, Fort was pinkish-red in color with a small off-white head. Moderate head retention and very minimal lacing.

S: Definitely some raspberries, very rich and fresh, slightly sweet. Not really much else going on in terms of flavors, but there is a sizeable alcohol presence as well.

T: Lots of raspberries again, slightly tart, a bit of brown sugar and raisins. There is again a pretty good amount of alcohol coming through.

M: Medium to full bodied with moderate carbonation.

O: Certainly very fresh. The raspberry flavor was strong, but the booziness made it hard to drink. Would be interested in laying down a bottle for a few years, but there are other beers I would rather cellar more.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Poured to an oversized wine glass. 2011 vintage.
Pours on the redish side of orange, a vigorous pour pulled a one finger head that was gone in a hurry. Nice spotty lacing.
nose is big and boozy, I get burnt sugar raspberries and tropical fruit. Big alcohol burn dominates the nose.
The raspberries is up front in the taste but is still overshadowed by the high alcohol, aside from that I get burnt sugar and toffee reminiscent of a barleywine.
Mouthfeel is super sticky, big body, and medium-low carbonation.
This is my third time trying this beer. The first time was in my second month of craft beer and I thought it had gone bad and poured it down the drain, the second time it was four years old and fucking delicious, this time it was fresh and I have to say this is a beer that needs aging to meet its full potential. At 4 years I'd give it a 4.7.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled On: 2011 10:33

A: Pours a golden sunset color with big hues of pink. Not much of a head, but given the abv thats no surprise

S: Raspberries, alcohol, and some light malts. Fairly dominated by the first 2

T: Same as the nose, big on the raspberries and alcohol. The abv is actually hidden fairly well, I would have guessed around 11-12%, as the huge amount of raspberry seems to tone it down a little. Sweetness and alcohol linger, with the sweetness winning out for about 10 seconds after. I guess the ton of raspberries used pays off after all

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. With the abv, I'm surprised at the level of carbonation that is present (which is a good thing, as it helps wash away the booze)

O: A very interesting and delicious take on a fruit beer. The sweetness and alcohol balance out quite nicely and make this dangerously drinkable, albeit still a sipper that should take at least an hour to finish a 10-12 oz serving

4.04/5  rDev +10.4%

served from the tap at the brewpub in Rehoboth Beach.

appears a dark golden color with little head. I was actually surprised, I expected it to be tinted pink from the fruit. aroma is very pleasant - very sweet raspberries. the raspberry is actually more mild in the taste.

also surprisingly for the ABV strength, it's not boozy at all. body is fairly thin.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Poured from 750 mL bottle and shared with friends.

A-Clear amber, with hint of pink, ...well carbonated with one-finger head,

S-Raspberries and alcohol.

T- Rather sweet raspberry syrup with strong alcohol presence all the way through. The alcohol takes over and hangs on for a long finish.

M-Medium bodied; carbonation gradually dies down, alcohol heat with syrupy feel.

O-Bold and aggressive concept. Too heavy on the alcohol when my mind is thinking raspberry. Definitely a sipper.

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

750 mL bottle (date 2011/10) shared amongst friends and paired with dark Lindt chocolate.

A: nice clear amber with red hues. Thin white head dissipates quickly. Not really any lacing.

S: definite raspberry, honey, and fruity alcohol in the nose.

T: strong raspberries up front, syrupy, some hints of bourbon, fairly strong on the alcohol.

M: dry, crisp. fairly hash alcohol heat but this is expected given the DFH toxic waste parity symbol on the bottle cap.

O: a good beer for sure, very different. It is strong and very fruity. It does pair well with chocolate and I would recommend tasting it with that on hand. As I've grown to expect with DFH this is a very out there ale and I definitely appreciate it. Am aging two bottles as well.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

A: Appearance is beautiful! Its a deep, but perfectly clear red, and bright white head that actually leaves more lacing than expected for the ABV%. When swirled, the alcohol just sticks to the glass.

S: Boozy, almost fuel-like. I get light fruit notes, but it's hard to make out anything over the alcohol. I really wish the smell was better.

T: My first thought was of wine. It's very fruity, can defiantly pick out the raspberries. There is no hop flavor at all, but the beer is nicely balanced. The finish is all booze, but surprisingly, this doesn't detract from the overall good taste.

M: Carbonation is on the high side, the body is medium, but defiantly sticky. It feels somewhat oily too, it's not a bad thing, but thats the best descriptor that I have for the feeling.

D: At 18%, this is a sipping beer, that I will enjoy over a period of an hour or two.

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

18%?!? I had no idea. Good thing we split the bottle, I guess. A-and, really, this explains quite a bit about the rest of that awful night.

Pours a very pretty shade of amber that's a little limp. My handwritten score is a 3.5, but considering the elevated ABV the lack of effervescence is perfectly fine and this deserves a 4.

Smells like raspberry liqueur: big, sweet, candied raspberries along with some varied nodes of spice and honey. No alcohol nodes apparent whatsoever.

Tastes like it smells, only the honey sweetness gets a cloying near the back end. Overall it's pretty smooth, though, considering its giganticness.

Definitely worth trying, and you certainly get 15 bucks worth of drunk off of a 750ml bottle.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A-Clear amber carbonated with a nice two finger head, however after a while it starts to go flat.

S-Raspberries, fruit, and some alcohol.

T-Very sweet overwhelming fruit/raspberries. Alcohol is present as well.

M-Medium bodied, not much carbonation, and alcohol heat is there.

O-An interesting beer. If it wasn't for the price tag I'd pick up another and age it for a while. Alcohol was strong fresh.

3.92/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours a orange golden color with a slight reddish hint when held to the light. There is a soapy head that givees way to edges and leaves strands of lace up and down the glass. The aroma is of raspberries but the aroma is of real raspberries not a puree. The taste has a big raspberry taste up front. Again the taste is of real raspberries not puree or extract. After the raspberry taste there is a slight hop bite and a tiny bite of an alcohol taste. The mouthfeel is lowly carbonated there is also a slight sticky alcohol part. Overall it is a solid fruit beer. It is not an over the top fruit taste but an actual real fruit. The alcohol is very well hidden and makes this beer dangerously drinkable.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a pink-orange color with an off-white head. The head fizzled away leaving minimal lacing. Had an aroma of raspberries and something else that I could not identify. Raisins? Maybe it was the high alcohol mixed with fruit...but the aroma honestly reminded me of Raison D'Extra. Tasted of tart raspberries, sweet malts, brown sugar...raisins...and BOOZE. This beer certainly does not mask the high alcohol.

On the thin side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I wasn't a huge fan of this one and I stuck with just a 4oz pour. Unique, yes...drinkable...not really.

First had: on tap at Dogfish Head, Rehoboth Beach, DE

Slightly hazy golden-peach color with a small head that left a bit of soapy lacing, but didn't stick around too long. Aroma of raspberries and grainy alcohol, and not much else. Taste of raspberry, framboise-ish, but much bigger on the booze. Not much else in the way of flavor or complexity, pretty straightforward, pretty strong, delivers what it promises. Medium in body and carbonation. Not a bad beer, but definitely not for everyone. A shot of raspberry vodka is probably cheaper and you'll get the same effect, and be able to move on with your life quicker.

4.23/5  rDev +15.6%

A - This beer pours a nice clear orangish amber color. It has a fluffy 2-finger off-white head on it. The head has pretty good retention, and it leaves some scattered lave behind on the glass.

S - The nose has a huge bunch of fresh raspberry. There is a good bit of an alcohol bite. Overall the smell is pretty sweet, but the alcohol aromas do a pretty good job of cutting it. There is a little bit of hop presence coming through as well.

T - The taste starts off with a really nice sweet raspberry flavor. It is sweet, but not too sweet. There is definitely some alcohol presence, but just like the sweetness it isn't overdone. There is a little bit of hop presence coming through as well as some citrus. The finish leaves some lingering sweet and tart raspberry flavor and some booziness on the palate.

M - This has a pretty full body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice smooth feel to it. There is a good amount of sweetness, but it's never cloying. There is a pretty big alcohol bite that leaves some lingering warmth in the finish.

O - This has really good drinkability. It is definitely a sipper, but it's ultimately delicious. This is definitely one of the better fruit beers that I have had. The raspberry flavor is fresh and very nice. There is a pretty big alcohol presence, but it is really not bad at all for 18%. Overall, I really enjoyed this beer, and I don't know why I kind of avoided this one for a while. I definitely recommend trying this one out. I would buy it again. My girlfriend enjoyed it quite a bit too so thats a plus.

3.58/5  rDev -2.2%

Appearance: Nice rich deep golden color with some hints of read and a great white foamy head.
Smell: Very rich seedy sweet raspberry jam aroma with a hint of hops.
Taste: Very rich raspberry flavor with a slight bitterness from the alcohol and the seediness of the raspberries.
Mouthfeel/overall: The alcohol and sweetness are very overpowering but I can see the advantage of aging this beer.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

On draft at DFH in Falls Church:

Pours an orangeish color w/ almost zero head. Minimal lacing on my snifter glass. Very dense looking, w/ little carbonation. The smell is fairly simple- raspberry, malt, and alcohol. There might be some other dark berries in there, but they're mixed in the background. Very sweet smelling. The taste kicks it up a notch. Same profile as the nose, but it's well balanced, and the 18% ABV doesn't really get in the way. Sweet, but not overly so. Feel is medium, low carbonation, and fairly sweet w/ an alcohol/raspberry aftertaste. Overall, I actually dug this for a fruit/vegetable beer. Almost like drinking a port. Cheers.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery