Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 510 | Hads: 1,045
4.07/5  rDev +11.2%

Quite psyched to try this forte at the brewpub last week with a couple BA buds.

Pours a clear mellow twinge cherry red with absolutely no head cap to speak of.

Aroma is light dry vinous in effect, with a suggestion of the cherry aspects.

First swigs: Impressive dry delicate (again) vinous dry chardonay like that amazingly hides the awl-kee-hawl aspect. 18%???!!! Knock me over with a feather! This "ah-hem!" BEER (so to speak) is a beguling mixture of hooch, beer and wine.

Forte has a thin escaping light body that seemingly escapes from the glass to my gullet. Oh, wait... I poured it out like that.

Last swigs: Is FORTE sooo good because it's only available at the brewpub? No. I'm not going to give the old "I had some and you didn't so it's great" act, but it is impressive enough to say WOW! and Sam Calgione is amazing at his craft. Seriously!!!

Beer is good, except at DH...GREAT!!!

4.06/5  rDev +10.9%

This really shocked the hell out of me. Considering that there's not much of anything to balance the 18% alcohol, it's really quite drinkable. Any other beer near that percentage that I have had is balanced by a large malt presence or has a really thick body. This is really more like mead than beer, and any meads with that much alcohol that I've had all drink really hot.

Pours a nice color, like a more translucent cherry juice. No head. Smells exactly like cherry Twizzlers. Slight alcohol taste up front, shifts into a fruit mead taste on the tongue, finishes a bit hot, but not in an offputting sort of way. No fusel alcohols detectable, which is really a testament to the great yeast handling done by the brewer. I could sip this all night. The amazing drinkability of this and of all the microdistilled products made at the brewpub are a true testament to the skills of the brewer/distiller there (and I'm such an ass for forgetting his name...I believe his first name is Mike).

Can't even imagine how awesome this would be with a couple of years under it's belt.

Pleasepleaseplease bottle it soon!

3.52/5  rDev -3.8%

On tap at Rehoboth in a tulip. Color seemed light pink to me, though the bar was dark. Little to no head to speak of.

Nose was very nice. Definite alcohol. I guessed cherry as the fruit, but my wife said raspberry, after reading more here, looks like she was right. Still, seemed like marachinos in alcohol to me.

Taste up front was sweet, no hops to speak of and brother, let me tell you, big alcohol in the end. I think I could have done the flamethrower act after this one. After the alcohol dissipates, it does remain somewhat sweet however.

Overall, another great experiment from DFH. I would never drink more than one of these and I don't know what this would be like in a bottle, but an interesting concoction and one I'm glad I tried none the less.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

i had this on tap as well, then opted to fill a growler to bring back up north to share...

this is a monster. there are smells and tastes of alcohol throughout. i read here some treated it as a brandy, which is accurate (as served on tap is in a tulip). in growler, it appears amber in color, but pours a slightly cloudy light reddish color with small head and little to no lacing (though this could be fault of the growler). smell is of strong alcohol, but with nice touches of berries and other sweets. taste is also of strong alcohol, but also has taste similar to the smell following. the body was medium, the tastes linger, and succesive drinks draw a minor acidity.

i completely applaud the creativity in the brewing--this is a recipe i could see be refined into a much more smooth (and slightly smaller) fruit beer, and even this batch will probably even mellow a little bit with age. however, as is, it's a bit much...

3.45/5  rDev -5.7%

This is the new 18%abv brewpub/fest-only brew from the fine folks at DFH. This is an interesting brew to say the least, but i'm not sure if it was worth the trip down to Rehoboth for. This is a dark ruby red/pink champagne colour with a small head of off-white foam that quickly fades to just a small rim of lace. The aroma is pretty good. I pciekd up some HOT booze, fresh raspberries, and some funky, spicy undertones. The taste was good, fruity, but a bit too hot for my tastes. It also seemed one-dimensional with just the booze stealing the show. The mouthfeel was medium bodied, and not too thick for an 18%abv brew, but the drinkability was below average for me because of the overwhlmingly hot liquor flavor this brew has. Still it's an interesting experiment in brewing, and with a little twaking or two years of age this could be a fruit/strong ale contender (ala kuhnhenns rasperry eisbock)

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery