Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Yagman3000

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Served from a bottle into my DFH goblet.

Appears a cloudy orange brown with a thin rim of head remaining.

Smells very boozy with a tart citric nip to the nose.

Taste is boozy up front and finishes out with a subtle bitter to sweet raspberry burst. Alcohol definitely cones through.

Mouthfeel is complex with a variety of bitterness and subtle sweetness to it. Again, high abv is not lost... It's a sipper.

Overall an interesting beer experience. I'm partial to a Lindeman's framboise but I'm prone to a sweet tooth when not drinking hop bombers.

07-01-2011 17:35:04 | More by Yagman3000
jeffmonarch

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

06-27-2011 01:49:31 | More by jeffmonarch
Duff27

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

A- pours a murky dull orange, thin head. Decent head retention, no lacing.

S- smells like a sour/tart.

T- slighty sour. Fruity, would say raspberry because I know better hah. Boozy N' wild, don't bother this guy none.

M- medium mouthfeel, spot of carbonation I feel.

D/O- split between a few people for the girlfriends bday, we all enjoyed. Liked more than my score would indicate. Another experimental success in my book from DFH. Thanks MammothBrew!

06-26-2011 04:46:05 | More by Duff27
Chico1985

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottle date was 7/9/07, almost 4 years old. This is the beer I blame for my terrible hangover the next day.

Pours hazy reddish orange, I imagined it being more pink. Surprising off-white head retains well and leaves some lace.

Ugh. What a scent...honey mustard, mustard seed, oxidation, and light berries. Just...pretty damn bad.

Not quite as bad as the smell, but close. Mustard, raspberries, vodka, caramel. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and I wouldn't call it super boozy, but between all the alcohol and weird flavors I can't even say this is really close to enjoyable.

I had this fresh on-tap once and that was better. Not sure if age is to blame here but this was one wacky, off-putting beer that gave me bad flashbacks the next day.

06-23-2011 21:21:07 | More by Chico1985
Bmoyer0301

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

ppearance:

Today I am going with a new glass that I picked up while I was on vacation last week in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This elegant beauty is from Stone and was designed for their “Vertical Epic” series which is going to be a true test of time. As I popped the large bottle open there was just a faint hiss coming from the neck, nothing really earth shattering. On the pour I wasn’t sure how to tackle this one so I went straight on and noticed that it began to foam quite hard, I backed off and the head seemed to dissipate instantly. When I was done there was no head to mention of and no bubbles floating around anywhere. As I hold my glass up to the light it appears as a really rusty and murky brown color that resembles pond water. There is a lot of pectin haze going on here, probably from the fruit. It leaves me with a opaque liquid that isn’t chunky from yeast, just hazy. On the viscosity check I gave a nice healthy swirl around my glass and noticed there was a fair amount of legs, but not what you might think in terms of this high ABV.

Smell:

This not-so-pretty ale delivers a huge knuckle sandwich of raspberries and deep burnt sugar aromas up front. Lots of heat alcohol on the nose even after being cellared for almost three years, with sharp vapors that tingle your nose hairs. Vaguely I am pulling out some raisin and toffee undertones as the chalice warms up, with a touch of cinnamon. In the finish more berry like flavors that range from blueberries to cherries.

Taste:

As in the initial waft from the nose, the raspberries take front and center stage here. Gobs of sticky sweetness and berries that are just running amok in my mouth and I love it! Carmel and toffee certainly are right around the corner and balance all the fruit out nicely. As you take the initial swallow the heat alcohol grabs your throat and doesn’t want to let go, it is hot and fumy, but in a strange way it makes all these flavors mesh perfectly. This has a long lingering raspberry finish that is lip smacking delicious and after awhile you don’t even notice the 18% ABV. This beer is smooth sailing all the way to the end of the glass.

Drinkability:

Ahhh what can I say, you all know I love Dogfish Head so maybe I am biased. But this is probably one of my favorite examples of a well made fruit beer. Let it be said that if you open a bottle of this, it is going to be a long evening. So maybe you might want to grab a few friends for this one. The drinkability is low in the fact that the ABV is so high but on the scale of flavor and complexity I’d rate it pretty high. If you see this seasonal from these guys, grab a bottle or ten and put some away for later to see how they develop. Fort should be pretty accessible to most states and reasonably priced so I give it a big thumbs up in value

06-20-2011 16:08:56 | More by Bmoyer0301
chumba526

Oregon

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

2008 bottle.

Appears murky brownish red. It looks like carbonated red muddy swamp water. It also look s like a blood infused iced coffee drink. There is no real head to this beer.

It smells of brown sugar, rust, sweet malt and sweet raspberries. It does not have a complex raspberry smell like many other raspberry beers do.

It tastes of sweet malts. I get a bit of a brown sugar flavor. There is a raspberry flavor that is muddled in with a strong alcohol flavor. The finish of this beer is pretty nasty. It finishes with a strong rusty flavor.

it has a thick mouthfeel.

I feel like I have rusty nails in my mouth this rusty taste just will not go away. Drinking this makes my stomach turn. An interesting concept though the result is pretty poor. I can taste some berry flavor but the alcohol taste and the rustiness makes this beer not appealing.

My dad kind of likes it but he is kind of an alcoholic anyhow!

06-19-2011 22:35:59 | More by chumba526
cbutova

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

06-19-2011 05:38:20 | More by cbutova
ThePorterSorter

Missouri

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I cellared this beer for approximately one year under the adequate and relatively constant temperatures of my subterranean layer. Excited for the beer just at the summer breaking point when the days are almost beginning to get shorter and hotter.

Appearance:
The beer pours a very rich amber color with almost no head. Towards the end of the bottle there is noticeable white, floating sediment, but most of it stayed suspended. Speckled with white freckles.

Smell:
Potent ethanol with a tart berry sweetness. The berry aroma is specific to a tart berry of the woods, mostly raspberries. Candy sugars and no bitterness or spice. This beer smells strong for a fruit beer, I am definitely beginning to believe that this beer is 18% abv.

Taste:
Borderline overwhelming sweetness with this beer, but obviously a lot of sugar is required to boost a beer up to 18%. Potent ethanol makes this beer like a liquor with ease. Pungent sugars are upfront and finish. I would have preferred a tart, dry finish, but what did I expect with a beer brewed with over 2000lbs of raspberries.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly strong beer that loses sight of being a beer. I don't mind the strength of the alcohol or sugars, but there is nothing else to bring balance to this beverage. I would have loved this beer to have bitterness (not from hops) to help me conceive this as a beer instead of a darker smirnoff.

Overall:
This is a sipper, high alcohol prevents you from wanting to chug this beer at all. My main complaint with the beer is I would have better enjoyed a mead for the same price, alcohol content and sweetness. However, this is a terrific attempt at an extreme beverage and I applaud them for their effort. I wonder if it was actually worth a year of aging, but I like to pat myself on the shoulder for making it this long....

06-13-2011 02:37:57 | More by ThePorterSorter
rudzud

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

*2008 Vintage*

From notes taken on 6/10/11

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a crystal clear amber with a fizzy one finger head that leaves very little side lacing and a small halo.

S - Malty sweetness and super light raspberries. There are LOTS of ABV on the nose.

T - Its not bad. Tough to gauge this one. There is some raspberry/strawberry notes and they are pretty god. Unfortunately its all muddled/killed by the still very potent ABV.

M - Medium carbonation and slightly syrupy. The ABV is still noticeable.

O - Overall this isnt a bad beer, it just needs more time on it for things to smooth out. Its close though.

06-12-2011 02:23:34 | More by rudzud
atowle25

Washington

1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

06-05-2011 19:56:44 | More by atowle25
metter98

3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

A: The beer is cloudy orange in color and poured with a thin layer of off white bubbles that quickly dissipated, leaving only a ring of bubbles on the surface around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of raspberries in the nose along with some notes of alcohol.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and is dominated by flavors of raspberries, although there isn’t that much in the way of sweetness and the taste of alcohol is only really perceptible towards the finish.
M: It feels full-bodied and somewhat syrupy on the palate with a light amount of carbonation. There is a moderate amount of warming from the alcohol, which is most evident in the finish.
O: The beer definitely tastes strong and is something that needs to be sipped very slowly when considering its strength; however enough of the alcohol is masked from the taste so it’s not overly that difficult to drink.

Note: 2008 vintage

06-01-2011 02:09:04 | More by metter98
1Adam12

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev +20.9%

Murky orange color poured from the bottle. Beautiful raspberry alcohol smell. Smells like real raspberries though. Tastes like it smells. Tons of raspberry, and no hiding of the ABV in this bad boy. But it works. I think it works because even with the major alcohol taste, theres that much raspberry to balance it out, all while tasting like a beer still. Not overly sweet. Mouthfeel is medium. Nicely carbonated. I'm so bummed that my state no longer gets dogfish head (yet again dogfish head, PLEASE COME BACK TO US!), but this can still be found here and there around the state and it is something I will drive out of my way to find while I can get it.

05-30-2011 00:59:33 | More by 1Adam12
AdamBear

3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

on tap from a 2008 keg

A-thick tan color. thin cream colored head

S-smells like alcohol with a touch of raspberries and some cream.

T-comes in with a strong bite of alcohol and raspberries and cream...but mostly alcohol. ends with a burnt raspberry cream flavor. its a harsh beer with not much smoothness or balalnce.

M-medium heavy carbonation with a dry finish

O-this is just too big of a beer to be enjoyable. its harsh and does not go down easily. it wouldn't be terrible to share though. this isn't something i'll be searching out. you know, for the money, i expect a whole hell of a lot more out of my fruit beer.

05-21-2011 19:25:10 | More by AdamBear
ToAzwethinkweizm

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

Date: 20 May 2011
Glass: La Chouffe tulip snfiter 25cl
Type: 750ml capped, vintage 2009

Poured gently, 2-finger head reduces to light film, rather runny lacing, color is clear amber-orange.

Aroma is hot, like super boozy candy. Candy for adults. Like gummy worms soaked in grain alcohol. I'm not sure if raspberry is very identifiable on the nose, but rather leathery fig and strawberry.

Taste is extremely hot. Boozy fruit candy lacking enough sweetness. This young beer needs some dust. Don't get me wrong -- this is still an enjoyable beer. It is a fruity Dogfish Head 120.

I have been looking forward to drinking this beer, and look forward to drinking some of my vintage '07s several years from now.

05-20-2011 19:49:52 | More by ToAzwethinkweizm
perrymarcus

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.
bottled in 2009.

pours a clear, burnished deep orange tone yielding 3/4" off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin cap, collar around the glass. not unsurprising given the 18% ABV.

very pungent nose smacks of tart raspberries and alcohol. the strength of the rasberry is good, but on the whole it's fairly one-dimesional.

flavor is... ok, not going to sugarcoat it: IMO what we have here is a syrupy, boozy, cloying raspberry mess that wreaks havoc on the palate. salvaged from the drain by the intense rasberry presence but not my favorite offering from dogfish head. boozy finish.

decent, full bodied mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation.

i had high hopes for this number but in the end it's only slightly more enjoyable than a wine cooler on steroids.

05-01-2011 03:50:37 | More by perrymarcus
petacutlasaurus

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

04-28-2011 22:34:32 | More by petacutlasaurus
Spider889

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

I have had this fresh on tap at the brewery, a bottle about 6 month old, and most recently a bottle that was a little over a year old. I can definitely attest to this beer getting better with age.

I shared this bottle at the first Central Ohio beer tasting. Love the label. 12/2009 bottling.

The beer is a mild amber color, mostly clear. Not much head but we weren't in a rush to take a full pour of a beer so strong.

The smell has really opened up on this with some age. Some were complaining of the booziness, but for a beer of 18% you've got to expect that, no matter how well hidden it is. Still, I felt that the alcohol had mellowed nicely in one short year, I can see why some hold onto this for 5+ years.

Lots of raspberry and blackberry notes can be found in the aroma. The fruit is sweet and ripe, with a moderate sting of alcohol on the finish.

The taste is certainly hot, but tart raspberries distract the palate from the alcohol well. Sweet with a nice warming deep in the throat.

Ultimately this beer is very hot no matter how you slice it. I went into this bottle expecting exactly that, and wasn't disappointed with the beer. If you go into it thinking that 18% abv will somehow be masked completely you're not going to like this. Despite the alcohol, this is most definitely not undrinkable. A fine sipper that I wish we had more time to appreciate at our tasting. Not a beer to rush through.

04-18-2011 09:24:41 | More by Spider889
HoppyHachey

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%

A: It poured a very cloudy amber with a pink hue. Beautiful looking glass of beer. There was pretty much no head at all and the little it had dissipated fast.

S: Lots going on in my nose. Tons of fruity aromas. Seemed to have a tart smell, kind of weird feeling in my nostrils.

T: WOW. So boozy, and definitely all raspberries. Very sweet, a little too much for me. And by little... I mean a lot.

MF: The strong flavor tingles in your mouth. Almost feels like a raspberry fizzy candy. I don't think it drinks well at all, solely based on how much booze the flavor has.

O: I'd say it was worth trying and was great with a good meal but I'm a little disappointed in how much I had to spend to try it. Definitely not getting it again unless I hold a beer tasting with my friends.

04-17-2011 19:37:52 | More by HoppyHachey
mostpoetsdo

Rhode Island

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

Vintage 06

A: Deep orange-bronze. No head, no lacing. I guess with a beer clocking in at 18%, that can be expected.

S: Huge raspberry blast. It's like putting your nose into a jar of jam, with booze mixed in.

T: Raspberry flavor is unreal, not all that natural tasting. The fruit is there with sugar, but not in the cloying sense. The booziness to it probably died down, but still fairly strong.

M: Medium body, for such a big beer. A touch syrupy at time, minimal alcohol burn, considering the ABV.

O/D: Certainly an interesting beer. It's a fruit beer, almost drinks like a cocktail. Not something I'd try again, but it was so unique, I'm glad I had it. Can't really recommend it, unless you want big time fruity sweetness.

04-16-2011 13:30:14 | More by mostpoetsdo
Knapp85

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

I wanted to get my hands on this beer for a very long time. When I finally found it I bought a few bottles and had some at the brewpub. I love the intensity that this beer has. It's super string and very flavorful. The beer tingled your tongue and sweet and tart raspberry goodness. The alcohol leaves a mellow burning in the after taste. The color is a pretty reddish pink. It's got a pretty heavy feel to it as well with not much head. I enjoy this beer on it's own just sipping it over the course an hour or so. Very strong, it'll knock your socks off.

04-01-2011 16:58:38 | More by Knapp85
AlCaponeJunior

3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Updated review to average in the '07 batch I'm drinking now, along with the previous reviewed batch.

750 mL, '09 batch.

Reddish tan and just a touch hazy but mostly clear*. Many fine bubbles rise all along the sides of my duvel tulip glass. It didn't produce much head but there's some clumpy lacing. Overall quite nice to look at, very inviting.

The smell is a little subdued. Primarily alcoholic and raspberry notes dominate. There's some other fruits mixed in there, along with some spiciness and a little bit of a Belgian ale aroma.

Taste is very, very nice. The raspberries are strong, but not overpoweringly so. The ale base comes through letting you know this is a beer and not a cordial. It's definitely sweet but not so much that it loses its beery qualities.**

Feel is medium bodied, surprisingly, I expected it to be very thick. Clean and smooth, despite the high abv, which isn't at all overpowering, although it is noticeable. Aftertaste is of sweet raspberries and lingers beautifully.

Overall this beer is quite an experience to be sure. Very much a credit to the brewery, DFH once again leads the way in innovation.

I poured a little bit into my chicken marinade as well, should make a lovely flavor addition!

*'07 batch was much cloudier, almost brown in appearance, with more sediment and had less head and lacing, but still had nice rising bubbles.

**the '07 batch seemed a little mellower and easy to drink, also just a little more malty than the first go-round. Essentially they were not very much different tho, both were great, but the appearance of the newer batch was definitely superior

03-26-2011 14:55:44 | More by AlCaponeJunior
foogerd

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Bottled in 2008. I figured this was a good buy for 12.99

A- Color of a lighter version of bloody mary, bloody orange? Head disappears immediately, it is 18% so thats understandable.

S- Raspberries, fresh ones, sweet ones, candied raspberries, raspberry puree, everything raspberry you could think of, thats what this smells like. Yea, it smells good.

T- Raspberry, some dark chocolate notes, definitely alcohol which seems to work in tandem with the fruity raspberry theme, kinda like a raspberry liquor.

M- Light bodied, enough carbonation to make this tasty.

I picked it up for the unique factor I definitely wouldnt pick it up again, been there done that kind of attitude. I wouldnt dissuade someone from picking it up at the price point that I did which I think is pretty reasonable. If you see if for anything higher pass on it. And make sure it has some age on it I cant imagine how boozy this must be fresh.

03-17-2011 02:16:39 | More by foogerd
MbpBugeye

3.2/5  rDev -13%

Shared by Spider889.

The world's strongest fruit beer, eh? Thats just about as Dogfish Head as you get.
A- I was a little surprised to see this beer pour out a golden color rather than red. Come to think of it, I usually am surprised to see the color of most Dogfish beers. Seems like every one of their 750ml bottles all contain some sort of pale golden beer. Raspberries seem to have very little influence on the color, aside from a faint pinkish hue.

S- Big on raspberries. Alcohol sting mixed in with the puree/extract smelling concentration of raspberries.

T- For being 18% this beer is tame. I find that Olde School, at less than 16% or what ever it is, to have a stronger alcohol flavor. Raspberries are pretty strong too with not much else. No hops and a very meager malt profile. Its not bad, its just one dimensional.

03-10-2011 04:12:05 | More by MbpBugeye
Cyberkedi

Georgia

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Comes out of the bottle a hazy honey-golden - quite appealing. Fruity aroma has a bit of an alcohol nip to it. Flavor is mainly fruity - apple, banana and pear - and has a malty undertone as well as a strong, but not fierce, alcohol bite. Texture is smooth and subtly fizzy.

03-06-2011 17:14:28 | More by Cyberkedi
Bierguy5

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

750 ml bottle, bottled in 2008. Pours a hazy amber color, with a very subtle pink hue. White head disappears immediately.

Raspberry aroma, with a huge blast of fusal alcohol. Some faint lighter malt in the nose, but mostly buried in booze.

A bit of lighter malt starts off. Some sour raspberry character. A bit of earthy hops and a lot of booze. A slight pucker at the end.

Lighter side of medium body, carbonation is also light. Huge boozy character, even after 2 years. Very unique, and an interesting thing here. A little certainly goes a long way.

03-04-2011 01:04:46 | More by Bierguy5