Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 510 | Hads: 1,046
1.32/5  rDev -63.9%

750ml bottle 2008 vintage. I knew this would be a tough beer but I was still completely unprepared for this shit. Sort of a light orange with a pinkish hue. Aroma is acetone and nail polish remover, disgusting. Flavor is very sweet, hint of raspberries and overwhelming alcohol. It was what I imagine industrial cleaning supplies to taste like. I think this was the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life .

1.4/5  rDev -61.7%

shared this one with my buddy Jmoore50.

Dogfish Head continues to disappoint me as one of, if not the, most overrated breweries out there. If there is any question as to which is better, consistent quality or uniqueness, Dogfish Head provides us emphatically with the answer of consistent quality (because their attempt at uniqueness is laughable at best). Seriously, this beer has NO business being 18%, and why? Being familiar with many DFH brews, my guess would be for novelty.

The appearance is the ONLY place where this beer shines. super filtered and super clear. dark-golden, almost amber color with a little off white head that fades quickly. the smell is of raspberries soaked in gasoline.

Everything here is straight-forward. there is no complexity, let alone nuance to be taken from this. as the smell suggests, it tastes like raspberries soaking in gasoline, and its as hot on the palate and in the esophagus as any hard liquor. I dont think it was barrel aged, but there is (oddly) a sense of oakiness in the aftertaste (or maybe it is flavor of my taste-buds disintegrating). Absolutely disgusting.

Moutfeel is much much too hot. carbonation is off. drinkability- it would have been a drainpour had i not been sharing it and thus only had to drink half. It got to be tolerable near the end, but watch out and hold your breath for the first couple of tastes.

once again, an example of what happens when a brewery is "experimental" to the point of being WAY over the top. blah.

1.41/5  rDev -61.5%

Pours a dark cloudy amber/orange color with some golden ruby hues when held to a light source and a thin white foam head that quickly disappears leaving no lacing behind.

Sour funky aroma with a subtle hint of raspberry which is surprising, until you take a sip. Massive alcohol presence which makes this beer smell more like Mad Dog 20/20 than a beer.

Once again the alcohol dominates the flavor taking away from any semblance of other flavors including the faint hints of raspberry and sugar. Firey alcohol burn lasts throughout warming up the chest in the finish.

I thought that this beer was flat out disgusting and undrinkable. It is the only beer I have ever drain poured. I guess if you want to get wasted there could be some value in it but I would just stick with Mad Dog. Gross!

1.42/5  rDev -61.2%

This beer is horrendous. I love dogfish head beers and am making a trip to the brewery in the coming weeks, me and my friend buy up any varieties we come across in distributors because we love DFH so much. That being said, this beer to me was undrinkable, expecting a fruit bomb, it was more like a straight alcohol taste, with a slight hint of raspberries, it was the definiton of "too much", although i know alot of time and effort was put into this beer, I will never buy it again, put it this way, it was so bad I dumped it down the drain after about 5 minutes. big miss.

1.61/5  rDev -56%

A - seems harmless enough, nothing special

S - smells fruity and boozy

T - here is where this "beer" just loses me. The alcohol is not hidden well at all as you taste every bit of the 18% and no much of the raspberry flavor. Not sure why you would make something like this to begin with.

M - carbonated and burns the tongue and throat as it goes down. Very harsh

D - if you couldn't tell, I find this to be almost undrinkable and I shared the bottle with five other people. I didn't even want to finish my 6 oz sample. Bleh. I saw someone compared it to mad dog 20/20 and i couldn't agree more. would not recommend it.

1.64/5  rDev -55.2%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

1.65/5  rDev -54.9%

It had a bit of a funky smell, definately some honey in there, very warming finish, taste is something in between a fruit beer and a mead, very little to no raspberry flavor, carbonation is a bit high and bites especially in the finish

Not something I would recomend to anyone to pick up, I am continually amazed by the low quality of offerings by DFH, seems everyone is always in love with their beers, its not always wise to take things to the absolute extreme, balance is the hallmark of a quality beer

1.76/5  rDev -51.9%

Dogfish Head Fort

Pours a pinkish brown with a short livid head. Aroma of raspberries and some lofty alcohol. In the taste, bitter raspberry, honey, wheat malt and alcohol. Also has some rotten vegetation notes Sickeningly sweet too, almost as if it were "off". Mouthfeel is a bit syrupy, and the alcohol burns. All in all you could not pay me to drink this stuff again. A hot mess, I'd age this and hope for the best maybe time (decades) can smooth it out.

1.83/5  rDev -50%

I had pretty high hopes when I picked up a bottle of this because I have a big appreciation for bold flavors and for beers that try to tame in high ABVs. Not to mention, I've mostly had great experiences with DFH. I'm sorry to say it was a major disappointment and the first drainpour I've ever done with a beer from a well-respected brewery of the likes of DFH, and one of the very few I've ever done.

Smells and tastes like someone melted pounds of raspberry and blackberry candy into a vat of vodka. It's as though they tried to at least hide the alcohol by going over the top in sweetness but instead you get double punched by both over the top sweetness and over the top heat. I'm someone who can really enjoy a sweet beer and loves, for example, dessert stouts, but this is the type of sweetness you'd expect from a smirnoff ice special release, not a DFH special release. I honestly thought of mixing this beer with water to make it bearable so I wouldn't have to drainpour it. I don't know what to say, pure sweetness and pure alcohol that do nothing to mitigate one another and fight in your mouth in the most unpleasant battle ever. The only reason I don't give this an F is because I'm open to the possibility that there must be some niche out there that loves both syrup and vodka and would find some comfort in this beer. For anyone who enjoys well-managed flavors and complexity, this beer is an easy avoid.

1.89/5  rDev -48.4%

Murky orange, almost amber color with little ring of bubbles that does lace.

Smell is very intense booze. [I had to let this one "breathe" for an hour+ before I could stand to smell and drink it.] Sugary sweetness and whiffs of perfumy dried fruit. Still very hot.

Syrupy sugary thick maltiness reminds me of a Belgian Quad with a dose of cheap fruit wine. Overly sweet and alcoholic, very medicinal impression (cherry cough syrup).

The drinkability on this one is very low. The alcohol even burns the tongue; like you're drinking MD 20/20 from a fancy bottle. This one has got to get better with age because it is pretty much undrinkable now.

1.95/5  rDev -46.7%

Drank on 12/1/08 bottled on 11/13/06.

I was expecting a lot from this beer, but was severely disappointed.
Granted, I'm not a big fan of fruit beers. I was expecting it to taste, and smell, a lot more like raspberries for the ton it was brewed with.
It came out of the bottle a nice deep red with almost no head, dissipated fast, leaving a tiny ring of foam around the glass.
Smelled very slightly of raspberries,but not in the way I'd like. More dulled and bland then the tart brightness of fresh raspberries, also had the smell of alcohol to be expected.
The taste was not good. Decent maybe, but still an off tasting brew. The raspberries were present but the alcohol flavor pretty much covered them, a chemical taste was present.
The mouthfeel was ok, but you didn't want to keep it in their long.
Very hard to drink. If I hadn't paid for the bottle I would have gladly sent it other places then my stomach. but at the price I really tried to like it.

The second glass is better... but that's because you probably have a nice buzz after the first glass.

750 ml bottle into wine glass, bottled in 2008. Pours extremely hazy red orange color with a foamy 1 finger off white head with poor retention that reduces to almost nothing. Aromas of strong raspberries, booze, and some tartness and big sweetness. The nose isn’t particularly inviting, but is alright. Taste of huge booze up front with some raspberries, malty sweetness, and some spiciness. Lingering notes of sweetness and booze on the finish. Big alcohol in the taste and a huge warming on the finish. This is pretty much undrinkable, way too much alcohol presence. Big syrupy mouthfeel with light-medium carbonation. This was just not good at all, my first drain pour. I could not see myself finishing this bottle.

2.1/5  rDev -42.6%

After about a year of pondering the purchase of this beer, I finally caved and purchased a bottle of 07 this past Friday.

A: Murky brownish amber in color

S: Strangely vegetable-like and slightly sour aroma

T: Akin to a cheap sweetish wine with carbonation, a slight hint of raspberries, not sure where the ton of berries went to, definitely not into my bottle.

Mouthfeel: Average decent body, just not something that I want to keep in my mouth for too long.

Drinkability: I am halfway through my 1st glass and I can certainly feel the alcohol doing its work, unfortunately I cannot get past the peculiar vegetal off-taste of this brew.

I am supremely disappointed in this brew, if it wasn't for the $16 I would send this one along to the town sewer. I guess that I should have bought the Midas Touch.

2.12/5  rDev -42.1%

First let me say that I hate the fact that I am about trash a Dogfish beer - they got me into craft brew but it needs to be done for FORT.

Shared a bottle poured into a Dogfish goblet.

A - Average what one might expect from a fruit beer. Thick, syrupy.

S - Not bad, nice rasberries with alcohol prelude following that should have been a warning.

T - AHHHH!!!! No balance at all. I love barleywine so it had nothing to do with the high alc but this was just a mess. Overwhelming alc with a fake bitter rasberry cough medicine taste. Had flashbacks of having a cold as a young kid and being forced to take medicine.

M - A miserable miserable experience. Actually opened a barleywine to chase this beer.

D - Could not finish. Don't know what went wrong with this beer. I have another in the cellar and will try aging several years as this first one was drunk very young.

2.12/5  rDev -42.1%

A- Pours a dark orange and very hazy. Not too much going on here for the head either.

S- Smells of alcohol for sure and a mixture of raspberries.

T- Alcohol is everywhere and almost insane. A very slight raspberry taste and that is pretty much it.

M- Very thick and syrupy. Fuller side of medium in body and low carbonation.

D- The search continues for a fruit beer I like. No thanks I'll stick with their IPA's for sure next time.

2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

Bottled 2008

A-pours a dirty, cloudy, grapefruit juice looking color with a thin off white head that dissipates quickly.

S-the nose is full of raspberries and solvent alcohol, acetone, light rotten vegetable and a hint of spice in the finish. The booze is extremely strong but the vibrant raspberry do their best to mask it in a failing attempt.

T-so much alcohol in this, huge solvent alcohol met with sweet ripe raspberry. bitter rotten vegetables blend with a white peppery spice as the acetone kicks in full gear in the finish. rough malt flavors are muddled underneath the fruit and rubbing alcohol to create a boozy fruity mess.

M-again a messy malt body with a grainy syrupy texture and heavy feel to it. strong carbonation is the highlight with a crisp biting finish to balance the syrupy feel.

D-this is rough stuff, tough to get through a whole bottle. the raspberries are great its the rest of the beer that doesn't work. just too much going on with an unfocused malt presence and overly boozy flavor.

2.16/5  rDev -41%

This was not fun to drink. I picked this up at my local bottle shop thinking I would be adventurous. What a nightmare, thank the Lord I had jdkls to help me finish this one off.

The appearance is actually beautiful. A nice lightly red tinted golden color is present, and boy is it clear. Nice clarity, and on top of that is a crisp half finger white head that leaves pretty quick. The alcoholic legs on this were not extreme, but fun to watch slide down the sides of my glass.

The smell is not very strong, but what is there is very straight forward. Sweet red raspberry sweetness paired with 120 Minute ABV sweetness. Thats it.

The taste is very simple. The taste is of faint raspberries with gasoline. I have some advice for you, if you are first drinking this beer, do NOT inhale. This beer actually harms you. The back of my throat and my mouth burned with alcohol and nasty additive flavors. There are not many flavors in this. It reminded me of the worst parts of 120 Minute, burning ethanol and sugar from the malts and raspberries.

The mouthfeel was terrible, like taking shots of 151. Terrible.

I could not of finished the whole bottle, I would of died if I did not have a friend helping me out. I do not understand why this HAD to be 18% ABV. Why!?! Just make it a sessionable 5% and take away all of the burn and make it at least a bit enjoyable. Sugar sweetness and burning sensations made this a very big disappointment.

2.17/5  rDev -40.7%

Bottle date was 7/9/07, almost 4 years old. This is the beer I blame for my terrible hangover the next day.

Pours hazy reddish orange, I imagined it being more pink. Surprising off-white head retains well and leaves some lace.

Ugh. What a scent...honey mustard, mustard seed, oxidation, and light berries. Just...pretty damn bad.

Not quite as bad as the smell, but close. Mustard, raspberries, vodka, caramel. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and I wouldn't call it super boozy, but between all the alcohol and weird flavors I can't even say this is really close to enjoyable.

I had this fresh on-tap once and that was better. Not sure if age is to blame here but this was one wacky, off-putting beer that gave me bad flashbacks the next day.

2.18/5  rDev -40.4%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

2.18/5  rDev -40.4%

A- Dark orange, very hazy, quickly dissipating head.

S- rubbing alcohol with a raspberry hint.

T- painfully alcoholic. slight raspberry taste which became more apparent over the 90 or so minutes it took me to drink this one.

M- Very thick and syrupy. the feel is probably the best thing this beer has going for it.

D- ugh...never again. i forced myself to finish it because i paid so much for it. the idea of buying another one is laughable. i tried this because DFH has some other solid extreme beers. im glad to be able to say ive tried the worlds strongest fruit/vegetable beer, but i bet ill never try it again.

2.21/5  rDev -39.6%

Drank on-tap at Eli Cannon's Tap Room, Middletown, CT

Poured a cloudy, salmon-magenta with a thin, wispy, white film that quickly disappeared. The beer was very lambic-like in appearance.

The aroma was quite alcohol rich. Vodka-like with faint indications of ripe berries and a slight sour quality. It was not until the near end of the drink that the berry aroma really came forth. Candy-like notes of raspberries and strawberries were apparent. Unfortunately, it was a bit too little too late.

The taste was overwhelmingly alcoholic. Once again, vodka came to mind. Some faint berry flavors appeared mid-palate. Somewhat wine-like. The finish was slightly acidic and sour with the alcohol dominating once again. Notes of lemon peel came through in the aftertaste, along with a touch of syrupy sweetness.

Mouthfeel was light and fluffy on the palate with a fine, spritzy, lively carbonation. Practically champagne-like.

Drinkability was absolutely awful. This beer reminded me of a terrible sort of "jungle juice" concoction that I may have drunk in college. It seemed like every aspect of the beer was too thin to keep up with the extreme 18% ABV. Maybe if it were aged it would mellow out to a more palatable digestif. Until it did, I would stay away from this.

2.21/5  rDev -39.6%

750 ml bottle that was made on November 13, 2006, purchased at Liquid Solutions for a very expensive $17.55

I will start off by saying I opened this last night when a bunch of friends came over, but then nobody wanted any, so I was stuck drinking this whole thing by myself and it pretty much knocked me out, strongest beer I have I believe, wow!

Poured into my Dogfish Head snifter with a pinkish brown color, pretty funky looking with a pretty large foamy head that settled pretty quickly, left some lacing but not much

Smell was pure raspberries and surprisingly reminded me of a fruity soda with the amount of carbonation and the small bubbles rushing to the top, impressive for a beer that was capped, not corked

Taste was a little rough for me, almost like a berry blended barleywine, nothing like any fruit beer I have ever had and had a lot more hops than I thought it would especially after a year, but was pretty bitter, aftertaste was a little nasty and it just kept kicking, can really taste the high alcohol in this one, beer at first and then quickly turns into a champagne like aftertaste with not much raspberry oddly, wish it had more of a fruit taste

Could not drink another sip of this, but I did finish the entire bottle and that is part of the reason why I was not in the shape to write this review last night, too strong for one person

Cool to try because it is the strongest fruit beer in the world, but it is extremely pricey and pretty hard to find, I do not know if I could recommend this beer, but if you are curious like I was, you need to give it a try

2.24/5  rDev -38.8%

2008 bottle.

Appears murky brownish red. It looks like carbonated red muddy swamp water. It also look s like a blood infused iced coffee drink. There is no real head to this beer.

It smells of brown sugar, rust, sweet malt and sweet raspberries. It does not have a complex raspberry smell like many other raspberry beers do.

It tastes of sweet malts. I get a bit of a brown sugar flavor. There is a raspberry flavor that is muddled in with a strong alcohol flavor. The finish of this beer is pretty nasty. It finishes with a strong rusty flavor.

it has a thick mouthfeel.

I feel like I have rusty nails in my mouth this rusty taste just will not go away. Drinking this makes my stomach turn. An interesting concept though the result is pretty poor. I can taste some berry flavor but the alcohol taste and the rustiness makes this beer not appealing.

My dad kind of likes it but he is kind of an alcoholic anyhow!

2.27/5  rDev -38%

Orange golden red semi transparent body. Big white head, tan after agitation, rocky and fluffy with mostly medium to large bubbles. Good retention and clumpy lace.
The smell is a big whack of fresh sweet raspberries. Only a hint of alcohol.
Damn, the taste does not live up to the pleasant smell. The alcohol burn is way too strong and blurs out the other flavors that hopelessly tries to emerge. The raspberries poke through for just a moment but then are gone.
The aftertaste and mouthfeel is similar to listerine, yuck.
Much to expensive to be a drainpour, but alas it is.

2.28/5  rDev -37.7%

This is some pricey stuff. The wife and I considered it a special occasion bottle and took it over to some friends house to share over dinner.
I gotta say that the label, designed by Tara McPherson, has the cutest cartoon female I think I've ever seen. Well, her and the Esurance one. The drink itself looks nice too. At first pour it reminds me a bit like apple cider but given a minute in the glass it takes on a summer at dusk orange look. You can smell the alcohol in it. No doubt about that. The raspberry scent raps itself around it. Very interesting. We adjusted our tastebuds accordingly, clinked our glasses and took a sip. Then we all looked at each other.
"Ugh! Cough medicine" was everyone's first reaction. Follow up tastes didn't change much from that. I don't know if that was DFH's intention or if they need to experiment more with the idea. From start to finish it very medicinal and drying. Ethanol was mentioned more than once. The raspberry taste seems it more of the seed than the fruit and any sweetness that comes from it is hanging on heavy and thick to the alcohol making the whole damn thing unpleasant. All of us there are Dogfish Head fans. We wanted to get around the idea of Fort expecting something a bit juicy and sweet and knew we'd be getting a bit more kick but couldn't get into it. Especially at 18 bucks for a 750 mil bottle.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery