Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
AJ01923

11-16-2012 19:41:11 | More by MattGeleske
Gyle41386

South Carolina

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle into a tulip.

Reddish/pink lemonade pour. Not much going on in the foam or lacing departments.

Smells like a raspberry kids drink, but highly alcoholic. Like a boozy juice box. Sign me up.

Flavor is pretty much along those same lines. Smooth, sweet raspberries, with a hot, somewhat numbing finish. Booze is very apparent, though I wouldn't have guessed 18%.

Smooth, syrupy texture. Leaves a light tickle in the back of the throat. Hard to drink more than about four ounces of this one, but it's still enjoyable. I was pleasantly surprised that this was a fairly simple (well, as simple as an 18% raspberry beer can be) Dogfish Head offering...I was expecting something much more, off-center I guess, but that was not the case.

02-26-2010 02:05:06 | More by Gyle41386

Wisconsin

08-05-2013 13:16:35 | More by TonyTalon
Hopfenpeter

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

01-17-2012 04:25:58 | More by Hopfenpeter
petacutlasaurus

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

04-28-2011 22:34:32 | More by petacutlasaurus
XmnwildX12

11-25-2013 00:26:07 | More by XmnwildX12
imperialking

11-13-2012 19:45:20 | More by imperialking
mullenite

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Drank on 09/09/09 at my wedding dinner... yes I took notes at my wedding dinner.

Bottled on 07/09/07 putting this at two years, two months old.

Poured a slightly burnt orange with a thin wisp of a head that dissipated pretty quickly. Some visible sediment, likely from the age, that did not really effect taste or mouthfeel.

Smell is strong alcohol along with a slight hint of raspberry and a bready malt. The fruit flavor is still strong with a nice balance breadyness in the background, however the alcohol is a bit overpowering still. It is a big beer but the taste was almost off-putting.

Body has not thinned out at all and is still a solid medium body. Easy to sip on beer that went well with my meal that night. Glad there were a few people around to share it with.

09-21-2009 16:33:20 | More by mullenite
Phatz

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Hmm? I have been searching for this for 4 months. When I finally found the 'holy grail' I have been searching for I paid $20 for one bottle. Hundreds of dollars/time hours later I EXPECTED to be freakin BLOWN AWAY! I was NOT! Does this mean I was disappointed? I don't know. I guess so. Maybe I was only disappointed because of all the hype this beer received as the 'strongest fruit beer in the world’. It was good but I am afraid it did not live up to all that hype.

The beer was an attractive color, but certainly more clear than I expected. It was quite coppery. A careful pour yielded a very small head. The smell was very yeasty. The taste was quite bready, a bit sour/tart, and definitely subtle raspberry. I was expecting more raspberry and less yeast. A bit of the 18% ABV shows through but remarkably little alcohol for the high ABV. So this is a pleasant drinkable beer but for the price and size of it... I was expecting quite a bit more. Bummer!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

03-19-2006 06:17:33 | More by Phatz
brewdlyhooked13

Bottled 11/13/06

Appearance - pours out a hazed red-tinted amber. A brief light tan head that forms and disappears like I'm pouring a soda. A slow bead of bubbles from underneath sustains the thinnest of collars.

Aroma - a fusel hit right after opening this baby. Huge barleywine-like malts, a decent dose of fruit but nothing major. Smells absolutely potent, that's for sure.

Taste - caramel, sticky sweet malts at the fore. Sweet raspberry, very sweet. Holy smokes, a serious alcohol breath on this, even after three+ years aging. Some biting fruit tartness on the swallow provides the only attempt at bitterness. The abv heat, fruit snap, and malt bigness make a flavor almost like ginger ale at times. So very warm down to the belly, this will be an all-night sipper.

Mouthfeel - low-level carbonation, a slick feel without too big a body. Nicely done.

Drinkability - never again solo, but certainly with help.

01-21-2010 05:20:41 | More by brewdlyhooked13
foogerd

Bottled in 2008. I figured this was a good buy for 12.99

A- Color of a lighter version of bloody mary, bloody orange? Head disappears immediately, it is 18% so thats understandable.

S- Raspberries, fresh ones, sweet ones, candied raspberries, raspberry puree, everything raspberry you could think of, thats what this smells like. Yea, it smells good.

T- Raspberry, some dark chocolate notes, definitely alcohol which seems to work in tandem with the fruity raspberry theme, kinda like a raspberry liquor.

M- Light bodied, enough carbonation to make this tasty.

I picked it up for the unique factor I definitely wouldnt pick it up again, been there done that kind of attitude. I wouldnt dissuade someone from picking it up at the price point that I did which I think is pretty reasonable. If you see if for anything higher pass on it. And make sure it has some age on it I cant imagine how boozy this must be fresh.

03-17-2011 02:16:39 | More by foogerd
gskitt

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

01-02-2011 17:55:16 | More by gskitt