Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured into a crystal mug the beer was a slightly hazy medium orange gold. A off white creamy head builds about one and a half finger high and dissipates relatively fast with leaving good lacing.
The smell is raspberry all the way, with some malt in the back.
Tasting the beer those flavors will arrive in the same order. The hops will mellow the sweetness of the raspberries slightly, but not enough. But it is a fruit beer, and therefore that is ok in my book. The alcohol is there, but well hidden for the high ABV of 18 percent.
I really liked this beer as for what it was designed for!

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Drank on 09/09/09 at my wedding dinner... yes I took notes at my wedding dinner.

Bottled on 07/09/07 putting this at two years, two months old.

Poured a slightly burnt orange with a thin wisp of a head that dissipated pretty quickly. Some visible sediment, likely from the age, that did not really effect taste or mouthfeel.

Smell is strong alcohol along with a slight hint of raspberry and a bready malt. The fruit flavor is still strong with a nice balance breadyness in the background, however the alcohol is a bit overpowering still. It is a big beer but the taste was almost off-putting.

Body has not thinned out at all and is still a solid medium body. Easy to sip on beer that went well with my meal that night. Glad there were a few people around to share it with.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Hmm? I have been searching for this for 4 months. When I finally found the 'holy grail' I have been searching for I paid $20 for one bottle. Hundreds of dollars/time hours later I EXPECTED to be freakin BLOWN AWAY! I was NOT! Does this mean I was disappointed? I don't know. I guess so. Maybe I was only disappointed because of all the hype this beer received as the 'strongest fruit beer in the world’. It was good but I am afraid it did not live up to all that hype.

The beer was an attractive color, but certainly more clear than I expected. It was quite coppery. A careful pour yielded a very small head. The smell was very yeasty. The taste was quite bready, a bit sour/tart, and definitely subtle raspberry. I was expecting more raspberry and less yeast. A bit of the 18% ABV shows through but remarkably little alcohol for the high ABV. So this is a pleasant drinkable beer but for the price and size of it... I was expecting quite a bit more. Bummer!

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Bottled 11/13/06

Appearance - pours out a hazed red-tinted amber. A brief light tan head that forms and disappears like I'm pouring a soda. A slow bead of bubbles from underneath sustains the thinnest of collars.

Aroma - a fusel hit right after opening this baby. Huge barleywine-like malts, a decent dose of fruit but nothing major. Smells absolutely potent, that's for sure.

Taste - caramel, sticky sweet malts at the fore. Sweet raspberry, very sweet. Holy smokes, a serious alcohol breath on this, even after three+ years aging. Some biting fruit tartness on the swallow provides the only attempt at bitterness. The abv heat, fruit snap, and malt bigness make a flavor almost like ginger ale at times. So very warm down to the belly, this will be an all-night sipper.

Mouthfeel - low-level carbonation, a slick feel without too big a body. Nicely done.

Drinkability - never again solo, but certainly with help.

Bottled in 2008. I figured this was a good buy for 12.99

A- Color of a lighter version of bloody mary, bloody orange? Head disappears immediately, it is 18% so thats understandable.

S- Raspberries, fresh ones, sweet ones, candied raspberries, raspberry puree, everything raspberry you could think of, thats what this smells like. Yea, it smells good.

T- Raspberry, some dark chocolate notes, definitely alcohol which seems to work in tandem with the fruity raspberry theme, kinda like a raspberry liquor.

M- Light bodied, enough carbonation to make this tasty.

I picked it up for the unique factor I definitely wouldnt pick it up again, been there done that kind of attitude. I wouldnt dissuade someone from picking it up at the price point that I did which I think is pretty reasonable. If you see if for anything higher pass on it. And make sure it has some age on it I cant imagine how boozy this must be fresh.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Aged a year, and sampled with friends. Pours a pale golden color, head does not last long. Smells overwhelmingly of raspberries. I mean slams you over the head with raspberries. Tastes of boozy, bittersweet raspberry puree, and sweetened syrup. I get no hops and little malt or yeast. Even still, it does not taste bad. The drawback is its syrupy mouthfeel and combine that with the sweetness and 18% ABV makes this a connoisseurs beer.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Tried a while ago but recently had an aged version. The appearance is a yellow with a ruby tint with a lot of haze. The smell is full of raspberries to the point of being more of a lambic than anything else. The taste was similar although had some interesting notes with a cleaner finish than I would have guessed. The mouthfeel was a bit thick for me but overall I thought this was a well made beer for something so odd.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Thanks to kbutler1 for sharing this one.

Bottled on 7/9/07

Poured into kbs chalice

Pours 1/4 finger of khaki colored head. Color is a burnt orange hued brown.

Aroma: Smells boozy with a ton of raspberry. I can actually smell every raspberry that they used in making this beer. Some caramel malt shows. Big flavor here.

Taste: Woah, this beer is huge. Tons of raspberry. Sweet and sugary. A massive amount of booze shows. Some yeast and malts are present. Maybe a layer of toffee.

Mouthfeel: Sweet and syrupy. Just a tad hot as well. Full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends with a hot burn to it. So much booze showing.

Overall, this beer is a massive sipper. As I drank more of it, it got easier to drink. Whether or not this was a result of the alcohol is another question. The raspberries are delicious, but just so much alcohol comes through.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Beer was a strawberry red color, with a small, one-finger head. Light carbonation and no lacing around the glass.

Aroma was apple, raspberries, cereal grains and bread.

Taste was sweet raspberries, caramel, bread, wood and faint hops.

I'd like to try this beer with a little age on it. The alcohol is a slap in the face. Very boozy and almost overwhelming at first. Still, nice fruit flavor and syrupy mouthfeel.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A: Reddish amber and shockingly transparent. Leaves a bit of sediment. Ok lacing. On first glance, this looks weak.

S: Rasberries and alcohol. More of both as the beer warms.

T: This is the rasberry spritzer or cordial of the beer world. This is well advertised on the bottle, so I will count that as a good thing. There is a good malt backbone to this beer. A little earthy flavor is brought in by the yeast.

M: This is a liquer with bubbles. Sweet and syrupy without inducing the gag reflex.

D: This is a dessert beer that should be enjoyed with friends to close an evening. My review may seem negative (and may rate that way) but I would recommend this as a dessert beer. The alcohol feel is a bit high for me though, and that tends to skew the experience of a beer for me.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

A: orange/mild cloudy, finger white head,
nice lacing

S: big raspberry nose, boozy, vanilla, jam

T: huge raspberry, hint of cherry, mild malt,
vanilla, boozy/sticky/sour finish

M: med body, big sticky/pucker mouth

O: Interesting. Glad I tried it, don't
know if I would get again. BIG SiPPER!
Share with friends. Reminds me of
strawberry wine when I lived in the South.

GOOD, NOT MUST HAVE!

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours leaving only little head that leaves a small ring in the glass. Color is a mostly clear, rose-copper. Carbonation looks adequate throughout. The smell is faint, like semi-sweet raspberry and strong alcohol. Taste is a nice raspberry flavor that is quite subtle, not too sweet or too tart. Its a bit medicinal, and the alcohol feels strong, but not bad for 18%. Hop flavor is low, or at least dominated by other flavors. It's light bodied, with nice carbonation overall. A nice brew to share with friends, but being so strong I wouldn't recommend drinking alot of it by yourself. After a while it does get harder to drink so just have a small glass and enjoy this unique, strong brew...

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

18%?!? I had no idea. Good thing we split the bottle, I guess. A-and, really, this explains quite a bit about the rest of that awful night.

Pours a very pretty shade of amber that's a little limp. My handwritten score is a 3.5, but considering the elevated ABV the lack of effervescence is perfectly fine and this deserves a 4.

Smells like raspberry liqueur: big, sweet, candied raspberries along with some varied nodes of spice and honey. No alcohol nodes apparent whatsoever.

Tastes like it smells, only the honey sweetness gets a cloying near the back end. Overall it's pretty smooth, though, considering its giganticness.

Definitely worth trying, and you certainly get 15 bucks worth of drunk off of a 750ml bottle.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Huge bottle pours a chill hazed but radiant copper body with a small almond head that quickly falls to a pink fringed skim and collar. Aroma is subtle, odd considering the bottle is stamped with a bottling date just over a month ago. Raspberry jam notes are joined by model airplane glue to the nose. Odd, but really pleasant. Medium body with spritzy carbonation. Taste is sticky with big doughy maltiness, sweet/tart berries, and the pleasant taste of the model airplane glue you loved as a kid. Solvent-like is an understatement, but it works here for some reason. Finishes dry with a kiss of grapefruit that comes out of nowhere. Surprisingly drinkable for such an enormous fruit beer. Another oddball brew from DFH.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

(Served in a tall flute)

A- This beer has a light crystal clear coppery body with a red tint. The head is a creamy thick dense foam that last and last. The foam sticks to the glass and looks of a slight pink hue but that might be the reflection of the beer.

S- The smell of sweet fresh raspberries is strong and wonderful. There is a supporting aroma of slightly toasted malt and perhaps some green hops. As it warms there is a bit of a buttered cooked corn note with the hops.

T- There is a bold sweet raspberry flavor that finishes a bit dry. There is a big alcohol taste to finish but it compliments the fruit. I don't taste any big fusel alcohols so it is not very harsh. There are some green resin hop flavors in the finish that are "kicked up" by the fizz and alcohol. As this beer warms some notes of cooked corn start to come through in the flavor.

M- The mouthfeel is medium light with a fizz in the texture and some alcohol heat that finishes the beer. As this beer warms more of the fusel alcohols come through and really give it more of a kick.

D- I think this is a good but young beer. I never thought of aging an American fruit beer until today. This has some nice fruit but the alcohol makes the hops really stand up and demand attention. I like it better than Champagne but not as much than some framboise I have had before. I will have to find another bottle or two and rereview in several years. It's nice they print the bottled date on the glass itself.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 750 at cellar temperature into a tulip glass. Been looking forward to tasting this one for awhile. Glad to have scored it at Gary's in Madison NJ.

A-Deep peachy amber with a white head that settles rapidly to nothingness. A pleasing looking brew that would be greatly enhanced by some foam on top.

S-Omigod! This smells more like industrial cleaner than something I want to put inside by body. Very chemical and solvent odors are wafting out of my tulip. Somewhere in the background is a fruitiness that I'm not sure I can place, but this is not pleasing. (This was my initial impression, which I am revising mid-review as I revisit the nose in the context of the taste...do not judge this book by its cover (or smell). I originally gave the nose a 1.5, but that would be unfair to this brew. The nose still does not do it justice.

T-What a surprise! This redeems in the taste in a big way. Sweet succulent red raspberry is delivered by strong warming alcohol in a velvet creaminess that is just lovely. Astringent hop and alcohol buzz on the back end and a finish that lasts forever. This is another offering that begs the question..."is this beer?" Don't know what it is, but I like it.

M-Well balanced medium mouthfeel and carbonation.

D-I'm lovin' it, but this is a big beer in a big bottle. Dudes at DFH, please put this in a 12 oz bottle like the 120!

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled on 11/28/05. Had this fresh and wasn't thrilled. After the better part of 3 years it's time for a revisit.

Copper bodied with some salmon-pink glints. A fizzy white head sizzles up and down over the course of 10 seconds. Still, for a beer this big, the carbonation is impressive, as when I had it fresh two+ years ago, there was no head at all.
Raspberry is the main player on the nose, all sweet, seedy, and tart, backed with a big wet, doughy blanket of caramel pastries, and a bit of Eau de Vie -like alcohol bite.
It begins sweet, as any good 18% fruit beer should. Raspberry jam, honey (or Mead), heavy canning syrup. This is all propped against a somewhat less sweet caramel and dough support (though, that is sweet by all accounts as well). As it progresses, it drifts towards things more tart and the raspberry jam starts to mimic sparkling grape juice with it's slightly cloying and sticky sweet-tart interplay (and real-deal grapey flavors). Fruit brandy and port traits appear on the swallow with a fair amount of alcohol sting and dryness.
It's big gloopy, full bodied, but the carbonation fights through it all and manages to keep this from the cloying, teeth-sticking mess it could be (and I thought it was when I last had it a couple years ago).
Ultimately, this succeeds at exactly what it is. A gigantic raspberry beer. At this strength, it's gonna be a little heavyhanded. But this is semi-drinkable and enjoyable despite it all. Age treats this well, and I don't think I'd drink it fresh again. It is far from something I'd reach for often, but I might squirrel away a bottle or two long term for certain occasions.

Also, bottling this in 750mLs is lunacy. 12oz could be satisfyingly shared and seems a much preferable size.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery