Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
jjanega08

2.35/5  rDev -36.1%

A= pours an amber color. Sort of a golden amber with a small thin white head on it that has some decent retention for the strength of the beer. The lacing is minimal

S= Pungent. Loads of rasberries in it with a ton of booze. The heat is obvious and sort of fusal. Smells like rasberry jetfuel.

T= Not as much heat as I anticipated but there is still a TON of heat in this one. Nice rasberry flavor in it which I expected but the heat on this one is way to much. Tastes like rocket fuel.

M= A low carbonation slick sticky feeling.

D= Not what I was hoping for. Way to hot. I find DFH beers are great at around 10- 12 percent on the high end. When they venture venture further the heat starts to be a little too much. Interesting beer but not the best.

03-16-2010 02:58:02 | More by jjanega08
shivtim

Georgia

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Clearish orange/pink, like a dark apple juice with a small white head. Nose is some fruit but I can't place my finger on it... oh wait, raspberries... and more raspberries. Then add another handful of 'em. Taste is like raspberry vodka, lots of alcohol. It's actually not bad at first, kind of like strong slightly malted raspberries, but the aftertaste is extemely alcoholic and tart. Mouthfeel is average, drinkability is hurt by both the taste and the ABV.

01-14-2007 05:18:29 | More by shivtim
HardTarget

Report from the field:
Opened the bottle to celebrate being with old, good friends in Little Rock. Sorely disappointed. The nose is interesting, but boozy. Some deep raspberry notes sounding off, but overwhelmed by alcohol. To the eye it is a sullen red liquid with a thin collar. A taste brings all the expected alcohol, sweet red berry jam, and more alcohol. Just too harsh and strong. My wife, a Framboise lover, couldn't handle it. I ended up leaving a corked half bottle, the four of us couldn't finish it. Some earthy notes, mild funk, but the alcohol just was too much. Age it for a fortnight or twenty. I can maybe see this turning to jam and being enjoyable, but right now, I can't finish it.

12-30-2006 00:09:08 | More by HardTarget
judzillah

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

01-06-2007 17:48:39 | More by judzillah
mkotsayfan

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel glass. Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice creamy one-finger head. The aroma is of raspberry juice, and a whole lot of it. The taste is one-dimensional as well, just a lot of raspberries and a medicinal taste like that of cough syrup. The mouthfeel is medium-thick bodied with decent carbonation. This beer is definitely hot.

Overall, an interesting beer that was kind of what one would expect from an 18% fruit beer, just very syrupy and hot. I applaud the effort however.

02-19-2012 23:02:31 | More by mkotsayfan
MasterSki

2.4/5  rDev -34.8%

Busted one of these opens for my mom's annual Xmas party - shared it with a bunch of friends. Bottle is from July 2007.

A - Reddish orange - almost copper, looks like it has some suspended solids in there. Thin tannish head that dissipates to a reasonably attractive lace.

S - Raspberries and booze, a bit of solvent in there (a la nail polish remover). Raspberry tart this ain't. Doesn't smell like a beer, but more like a raspberry vodka type deal.

T - Yuck - this is overly hot. Starts like sweet raspberries, but ends like straight vodka.

M - It's hard to get a sense of mouthfeel, as that would entail taking a sip big enough to make a judgment. It seems medium-bodied, and relatively smooth, with only slight carbonation. One of the better features of this brew!

D - Drainpour city - even shared amongst six people the 750ml bottle is too much. Might work better as a mixer or as a shot. I was able to swallow, which elevates it above Triple Bock...

The more Dogfish Head beer I try, the less I like their brews. 90 Minute IPA is good, the rest of it is too boozy, spicy, yeasty, etc. I suppose it's good that they're pushing the limits of craft brewing, but I'm just not into this stuff.

12-27-2008 22:24:44 | More by MasterSki
DaveFL1976

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Another wacky brew from the folks at Dogfish Head. 18%? Wow. I've had the 120 min and the Worldwide Stout, so I sort of know what to expect out of this, but let's see how it goes.

The pour is a hazy orange/red color with a minimal head. To tell the truth, it's not much to look at. Smell is... Damn. I was hoping for a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock or a Frambois nose, but it's just not here. With this bottle, at least, the fruit is in the background, and the booziness takes center stage.

Taste. It's a wine. A carbonated raspberry wine.
barley and hops are nowhere to be found, and unfortunately, the raspberry flavour gets lost in the mid-palate. At the start you've got a combination of tartness and alcohol that flows into a harsh swallow and leaves my tongue with a tart berry finish.

OK, I am not digging this beer. If I want a strong raspberry beer, I'll take a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock 95 times out of 100 over this beer.

07-17-2009 04:34:27 | More by DaveFL1976
TheSarge

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

Very hazy. Thin light tan head dissipates very quickly. Thin lacing is left behind.

Smells of Raspberry Tea.

Very strange. Yes I taste the raspberries, but ith has a strange ketchup like flavor to it. This is so sour, it makes my tounge curl a bit.

This is a strange brew to me. I can't give it too a negative review based on my inexperience. Give it a try.

I still love you DFH brewery.

02-23-2007 11:06:26 | More by TheSarge
aforbes10

Iowa

2.45/5  rDev -33.4%

strawberry juice colored with a white head. about how a big fruit beer should look, IMO. Smells like raspberry jolly ranchers and red wine. Taste is a quick punch of raspberries and then an EXTREME alchol /baby cough syrup flavor. It really smacks you in the mouth. This experience does not diminish as you get further through the beer, either. Totally dominated by the alcohol, like a raspberry flavored mixed drink at a shitty bar. I really didn't like this offering from DH...and i do like fruit beers, even raspberry ones (like New Glarus' Rasp. Tart) but this just didn't do anything for me.

01-01-2007 21:27:01 | More by aforbes10
marcpal

2.48/5  rDev -32.6%

Poured into snifter from the tap at Dogfish Head brewpub in Rehoboth.

A: Amber color with a pinkish hazy hue to it. Bubbly carbonation, champagne like at first and minimal amounts of lacing on the pour.

S: Raspberry and fruit sweetness and then a bit more sweetmess and raspberries. This does not smell like a beer at all, and alcohol really not evident yet..

T: Here comes more of the raspberries, and the sweetness- and the alcohol does make its presence felt. Did not enjoy this one too much, far prefer the other DFH big beers but this is more of a hard mixer, not pleasurable to me.

M: Champagne like fizz matching the taset. There is a cloying sweetness and it is matched by the alcohol remaining in the back of the palate.

D: Not very drinkable based on the sweetness overbearingness and the high levels of alchohol. Would strongly prefer DFH other high price, high alcohol offerings by far (WW, 120, and others)

This is one of those beers that leaves you wondering afterward if it really is a beer? Not such a good thing to me but interesting. I could see it being a good drink with a dessert or as a sipper. It really takes something special foodwise to cut through the sweetness of this thing.

12-30-2007 20:27:02 | More by marcpal
TexIndy

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Bottled on 7/10/07. Tasted on 7/31/08.
Poured from a 750ml bottle into a pint glass. It was a hazy orange color and had a ton of carbonation. Even with a good pour, it didn't have much of a head which isn't surprising considering the high ABV. No lacing.

The aroma was extreme raspberries and alcohol. Reminded me of raspberry wine cooler. I don't like the ones that overtly reek of alcohol so this got knocked down some. The taste was better than I thought. I expected heavy alcohol to match the aroma but it wasn't as bad. It was still pretty heavy on the ABV but blended better in taste than smell. Heavy raspberry taste as well, of course.

Overall, I just didn't like this one. I like a bunch of fruit beers so it's not that aspect. It seemed to have a good base flavor but really got ruined with the high ABV and alcohol taste. Just made it unenjoyable after a few drinks. Got this one for free so can't complain too much but I wouldn't pay for this one or recommend it.

07-31-2008 21:07:26 | More by TexIndy

Colorado

08-15-2012 14:46:10 | More by MYJELLOMISFIT
pecokid

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier.

04-09-2010 23:29:30 | More by pecokid

Maine

01-13-2012 04:08:29 | More by EagleRare
DovaliHops

2.5/5  rDev -32.1%

Pours a clear, light orange color with a hint of pink. Small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is sweet cherry/raspberry with hint of cough syrup (Benadryl). Boozy and medicinal. Taste is medicinal as well. Very sweet...can't get over the medicinal flavors in this one. Sweet cherries and raspberries with booze. Mouthfeel is full bodied and hot. Drinkability is not very high. Overall, a good experience, but not something I would purchase ever again.

02-18-2012 08:32:09 | More by DovaliHops
xenjoiii

01-19-2012 15:21:45 | More by xenjoiii
sequenceman

2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

07-03-2007 23:33:08 | More by sequenceman
Auracom

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

01-06-2012 16:26:08 | More by Auracom