2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

FortFort

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Ratings: 925 | Reviews: 487 | Show All Ratings:
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev -27%

Poured a fizzy, orangy pink appearence, bubbles but no head - though it did leave somelacing. First impression is the 18% - yup, you can certainly tell its there - each and every one of the 18%, for sure. This is like a harsh and potent raspberry syrop that really burns. Raspberries seem authentic but not sweet, and the beer is honestly too pinsing and drowned out with alcohol to make it any way fruity. Aroma did evolve sniff to sniff though. Can't find any hops. Liquere like, actually very reminscent of a cognac and became continuously so as it warmed. Syropy and an alltogether different fruit beer. Perhaps slightly enjoyable (in a small dosage) but overall, flavours are scraped out by this burning cognac taste and mouthfeel is void of any finish or aftertaste. Where does this stand? Nothing in any way completes this beer. Couldn't tell you how this one would age, but I wouldn't be willing to try it. A neat one for sure, though I wouldn't revisit I was very happy to try - big thanks to northyorkSammy!

This beer seemed to hit the head more than it hit the tastebuds. A beer of this strength is hard done by to have any grace, and it doesn't.
Like other DogFish Head products, they've crafted this creative, over-the-top beer that I appreciate more for it's quality and creativity, than I do enjoy it for it's taste.

05-25-2006 16:48:31 | More by biegaman
froghop

Washington

2.68/5  rDev -27%

pours a clear orange with a small white head, and okay lacing.

smell is of malt, grass, lighter fluid, some berries, and earth.

taste is sweet, tart, of raspberry, and malt, ends dry and tart.

overall i would expect more from dogfish head, the smell of lighter fluid was bad and i feel affected the taste as well.

06-14-2009 15:48:08 | More by froghop
mtnbikerpa

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

This brew was poured from a 750 ml bottle. Poured a reddish hue with about 2 inches of thick head. Strong scents of paint thinner or solvent. Thick alcohol flavor along with nail polish remover. Very little if any raspberry flavor. No fruit flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel is heavy. Drinkable nature is very limited.

04-27-2010 23:46:57 | More by mtnbikerpa
2xHops

2.7/5  rDev -26.4%

When I first poured this... What the hell? The color seems quite thin and transparent. There were a lot of head and carbonation fizzing up. It reminded me a bit of Duvel, but with a bit more carbonation.

Smell - I definitely can smell the raspberries coming out of this bottle, and it was alright.

Taste - I personally thought the taste was peculiar for something that I usually love: raspberries. The raspberry flavor is there, which I like, but I felt that something else was screwing it up.

Mouthfeel - It's too thin and over-carbonated for my taste. It's too bubbly in my mouth. It felt a bit like a cheap sparkling juice a recovering alcoholic might drink at a New Year's Eve party.

Drinkability - I guess a lot of people would like this, but it's not very drinkable for me because mainly of the carbonation. I tried hard to try liking it, but couldn't. It's, by far, my least favorite Dogfish Head beer.

01-17-2011 04:24:41 | More by 2xHops
CONOR8832

2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

A - Very colorful beer, beautiful aray of colors, amber, some shades of pink, and some delicate red tones,I am sure from the rasberries. Very eye catching in appearance.

S - Solid aroma of fresh off the vine rasberries, with a touch of a freshly popped botte of chanpagne. This smell reminds me of a New Years celebration.

T - An explosive hit of fresh pureed rasberrries, there are a few citrus tasting notes in there but mostly fermented rasberries. Slight taste of some wood/oak notes with the champagne flavor left to linger on your tounge.

M - Ok I am going to make my champagne reference again. Yes this beer was very bubbly and dry, like a fine french champange. (I am now done with champagne references)

D - Not my personal favorite but I have to try everything. There was a little to much rasberry flavor/sweetness. I know that this is a fruit beer but in my opinion I did not care for the the sweetness that Fort had to it, like I said not my favorite but it is ok. Good beer to have after dinner in combination with some dark chocolate.

09-06-2010 13:43:09 | More by CONOR8832
billab914

2.75/5  rDev -25.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

On the bottle it said bottled in 2008. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured amber orange in color with a slight reddish tint to it. It has a very modest head, barely covering the top of the beer and concentrated around the edges.

The aroma shows a lot of boozy alcohol to it. The raspberries are definitely present as well but come through more as if they were soaked in alcohol. There is just too much solvent like alcohol flavors coming through to be that appealing.

The taste shows a lot of the fruity raspberry flavors. They really come through pretty nicely and taste fresh which is a plus. Lots of alcohol present as well and very warming as I drank it. More of an alcohol soaked raspberry flavor to it then anything else really.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and somewhat syrupy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't that great unfortunately, it's a lot like drinking a raspberry liquor. Just too hot and boozy to be that drinkable. The raspberry flavors were pretty good and fresh but they weren't bold enough to get past the alcohol. This wasn't that bad of a drink, I just don't think it scores well as a beer. I probably would think it was a very good raspberry liquor.

11-07-2010 23:06:11 | More by billab914
DaveHS

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

Dogfish Head is really pushing it these days. They seem to be doing the AVERY thing...trying to make one beer in every concievable style that will make people say," You can't even taste the alcohol! How do they balance it so well? It gets me drunk and it tastes like fruit! Yay!" The only problem is that this doesn't often work, and the result is usually a sacrifice of style for ABV.
As for FORT, I have no idea what the hell they were trying to do. This takes like cranberries and vodka. For $20.00! What the hell?
It pours out the color of a cran-apple Fruitopia. Almost no head. What little there is receeds quickly. Smells like berris and cheap Nikolai vodka out of a plastic bottle. It's kind of syrupy. The mouthfeel is okay at first, but gets progressively hotter as you go on. I'm sipping it right now. I take a little in my mouth, swish it, hold it, swallow it, wait a moment...NOTHING! What a one dimensional beer. Drinkable, sure, if you just want tog et drunk, but this is nothing special, and it is WAY overpriced.
Dogfish Head needs to get their act together. I remember the days of 120 minute IPA 750s that tasted like they were brewed by Jesus.
Bottom line, don't waste your money. Blah.

03-28-2008 04:34:22 | More by DaveHS
WhiteOak

Connecticut

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A- Bright yellow-amber, with a head that is quick to settle.

S- Smells of raspberry hard candy, caramel malt, and a touch of yeast.

T- Robitussin cough syrup comes to mind, and for me this strongly negative taste association is a deal-breaker. Volatile ethanol bombs the palate with heat in between the waves of artificial/chemical fruit flavor, harsh & hot from attack to finish. Underlying sweet, salty & sour malt. Sour finish.

M- Hot mouthfeel, and slightly sticky. CO2 perfect.

D- I found Fort to have poor drinkability due to what I consider to be unpleasant flavors. Since I love Port wine, I am not offended by heat or sweet; and I do like raspberry, but to me, Fort's cough syrup flavor was not appealing.

04-13-2010 22:10:43 | More by WhiteOak
emmasdad

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -24.3%

WOW, and not in a good way. Spent a night in Loveland with the family, and stopped into a well known liqour store for a few bottles. Saw 750s of this one on sale for eleven bucks, and my wife really wanted to try it. This was not a pleasant experience. Huge raspberry flavors were present, but so was a huge, overbearing and unpleasant alcohol presence. This one was too hot to be enjoyed.

08-29-2010 04:09:11 | More by emmasdad
CRJMellor

Arkansas

2.8/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Pours a sort of off color dark orange with a clean white head. sort of soda-like carbonation.
Aroma has a nice undercurrent of red berries with some corn-like malt liquor and medicinal notes. Raspberry puree notes pick up as it warms a bit, pleasant.
Flavor is simply hot alcohol with a dash of raspberry. Get no hops bittering or floral notes at all. Simply an grain alcohol or malt liquor with a splash of raspbeery and it actulaly becomes more alcholic as it warms. Almost unpleasant
Mouthfeel is "hot" sort of sacchiriny sweet that eliminate any tart fruit flavor and just focuses on sweet alcohol.
Drinkability is disappointing. This may need some serious aging but I'm not sure that is going to do the trick. End result was simply an alcoholic malt liquor with some raspberry flavoring added. Nyquil comes to mind. Very disappointing.

05-12-2006 16:43:06 | More by CRJMellor
bradford

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

I received the big bottle (750mL?) from davide169.
This beer just looked weird. Something was off with the color. Very pinkish
Smelled okay. I detected a lot of alcohol in the nose which I would have liked if it weren't for the weired pureed rasberry smell. Smelled very sugary
Tasted not good at all. I didn't enjoy it at first, but the only redeeming quality for me was the alcohol. It sounds odd, but the burn of the 18% saved this beer for me.
Mouthfeel seemed thin despite the level of alcohol. I have come to expect nothing but amazing from Dogfish Head, and this unfortunatley fails in my book.
The drinkability on this is good though despite the poor taste review I gave it. I finished both glasses poured from the bottle and I could have had more as I seemed to be on some sort of sugar high from all the fruit and alcohol in this.
I would try this again just to be sure, but based on my first bottle, I don't recommend this one.
This is the only DFH product I have tried that I didn't absolutely love. Maybe it is because I live in CA and I have to trade for any DFH, so I feel like I have to like it. But for me, DFH is one of the better breweries out there, behind Russiain River and Alesmith.

07-30-2007 00:41:20 | More by bradford
sweemzander

2.85/5  rDev -22.3%

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. 2008 vintage.

(A)- Pours a hazy/cloudy pale blush red/pink color. Produced a light layer of white foam, but dissipated quickly.

(S)- A lightly spicy raspberry aroma with bits of tart cherry and cranberry in there too. A light woody aspect among the spiciness.

(T)- Very similar to the smell with spicy tart fruits. Very very very dry with a familiar cough syrup heat going down to the massive ABV.

(M)- A lightly fizzy carbonation level. Very similar to a cough syrup boozy heat as it goes down; the ABV is ridiculous and hot shy at all. The fruits are a pretty diminished at its stage of shelf life.

(D)- My biggest complaint is the big boozy heat and massive ABV really kills this in the drinkability. Decent fruits. It just has that syrup-like consistency and boozy bite that reminds me of drinking cough syrup. One of the hardest beers to drink in recent memory; could only finish 3/4 of the bottle and by then I was tanked. Even a bigger disappointment is how much $ I paid for this versus what I got; I would much rather grab a bottle of Cantillon for the $.

07-28-2010 00:10:39 | More by sweemzander
benito

Oregon

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

From the 750ml bottle, this is a slightly reddish copper, with a big, airy head that nearly fills the rest of the wine glass I pour it into. The bouquet is a strong, but not overwhelming, rush of raspberries. The flavor too is dominated by raspberry, but there is also a distinct flavor of alcohol that pushes through in each swig.

I like the restraint of the raspberry flavor--overall this brew isn't too sweet--but I do wish that there were some second element to the flavor profile that gave this brew more variety. Once the raspberry dissipates toward the back of the mouth, the alcohol is all that's left and it's residual metallic taste isn't that pleasant.

This is an ambitious and flawed beer. I wonder if DH will continue to tweak the recipe with any future batches of this...the idea of such a strong fruit beer, with a complex palate is great. Now they've just got to work on the second part of that.

04-16-2006 14:31:25 | More by benito
BeerBelcher

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

This is a very complex, confusing, and not very drinkable beer! It is tart, sour, high in alcohol and not very drinkable, making it the doppelganger of Lindemann's framboise, which was the first lambic I ever had. It has many different flavors - it is quite alcohol tasting (18% ABV!) but also has a powerful sourness and abundant apple and cherry fruitiness. There is also a fair amount of spiciness. You would not drink this at the same times you would drink other beers. Recommended despite a distinct lack of drinkability.

Color was a bright ruby red/orange. Aroma was very sour and fruity with some maltiness. I've already commented extensively on flavor. This beer is rather undrinkable; I love sour, but there are Flemish sours that are much more drinkable than this beer. But this and my other criticisms aside, this beer is something that you've got to try!

05-19-2007 14:52:38 | More by BeerBelcher
tprokop7

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

I must admit, this disappointed me... Admittedly, I expected a lot, but I was left unimpressed.

A - Dark reddish, with a light pink to orange head.

S - Fruity and sweet and alcoholic. Very different than a Raspberry Lambic.

T - The alcohol punches through the other flavors... you can definitely taste the raspberry and malty flavors, but the alcohol is pervasive.

M - Maybe the best part of this beer, it feels great. Smooth and bubbly, and goes down nicely.

D - Couldn't drink more than one glass... glad I was sharing the 750.

01-20-2008 18:01:03 | More by tprokop7
wcudwight

2.88/5  rDev -21.5%

Slightly hazy amber in color with light brown hints. Thin head that fades quickly and leaves the slightest rim of lace.
Smells like a complex fruity perfume. Alcohol is not noticable in the aroma.
Wow!!! This taste like a strong sweet liquor or a strong homemade wine. Very tart yet very sweet too. I'd go as far to say that it's both too tart and too sweet. Loads of alcohol in the flavor. A bit too much imo.
Mouthfeel feels a bit thin imo for a beer this size, but Fort is still very filling. It is lively and burns a bit.
Not very drinkable. It's a gimmick beer. I'm glad I got to try it, but I probably won't drink it again.

05-11-2009 00:30:32 | More by wcudwight
BostonHops

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

750ml bottle served in a snifter.
bottled in 2009.

pours a clear, burnished deep orange tone yielding 3/4" off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin cap, collar around the glass. not unsurprising given the 18% ABV... very pungent nose smacks of tart raspberries and alcohol. the strength of the rasberry is good, but on the whole it's fairly one-dimesional.

flavor is... ok, not going to sugarcoat it: IMO what we have here is a syrupy, boozy, cloying raspberry mess that wreaks havoc on the palate. salvaged from the drain by its authentic rasberry presence but not my favorite offering from dogfish head by a long shot. boozy finish... full bodied on the palate with medium-low carbonation.

i had high hopes for this number but in the end it's only slightly more enjoyable than a wine cooler on steroids. glad to have tried it but won't be back for seconds.

(originally reviewed: 05-01-2011)

06-13-2012 23:50:10 | More by BostonHops
HoppyHachey

2.9/5  rDev -21%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: It poured a very cloudy amber with a pink hue. Beautiful looking glass of beer. There was pretty much no head at all and the little it had dissipated fast.

S: Lots going on in my nose. Tons of fruity aromas. Seemed to have a tart smell, kind of weird feeling in my nostrils.

T: WOW. So boozy, and definitely all raspberries. Very sweet, a little too much for me. And by little... I mean a lot.

MF: The strong flavor tingles in your mouth. Almost feels like a raspberry fizzy candy. I don't think it drinks well at all, solely based on how much booze the flavor has.

O: I'd say it was worth trying and was great with a good meal but I'm a little disappointed in how much I had to spend to try it. Definitely not getting it again unless I hold a beer tasting with my friends.

04-17-2011 19:37:52 | More by HoppyHachey
Portertime

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

This was a little too extreme fruit beer, and I heard a lot of hype from my friend about it which disappointed me a little. Pours a sunset red/orange color. Smells of raspberries soaked in grain alcohol. Tastes pretty much the same but not an imitation raspberry taste, instead a genuine ripe taste. Alcohol burned my throat the whole way down, a little unpleasent.

04-22-2008 19:54:49 | More by Portertime
jujubeast6000

Reviewed 2/8/2008 (bottle):

Pours an amber brown colored body. Golden around the fringes. Creamy off-white head. Decent lacing, somewhat lasting. Very strong raspberry aroma, sugar, fizzy, some malts. Strong flavor, strong alcohol, whiskey? Some raspberries. Very hot. More mild as it warms up.

03-06-2009 05:59:08 | More by jujubeast6000
perrymarcus

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.
bottled in 2009.

flavor is... ok, not going to sugarcoat it: IMO what we have here is a syrupy, boozy, cloying raspberry mess that wreaks havoc on the palate. salvaged from the drain by the intense rasberry presence but not my favorite offering from dogfish head. boozy finish.

decent, full bodied mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation.

05-01-2011 03:50:37 | More by perrymarcus
jeffmonarch

Maryland

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

06-27-2011 01:49:31 | More by jeffmonarch
Auracom

2.93/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

01-06-2012 16:26:08 | More by Auracom
lordofthewiens

Maine

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

A 750ml bottle, with bottled on 11/13/06 stamped on the bottle. Poured into a tulip glass, it's a beautiful beer: red/orange color, a thin head. Obvious raspberry aroma. The difficulty arose with the taste. Raspberry definitely there, but also a pronounced alcohol taste. Very harsh. The label says "should age with the best of 'em". I'll buy a couple more bottles and try that, because this isn't a drinkable beer in it's present state.

02-11-2007 23:59:44 | More by lordofthewiens
Dendrite77

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

05-27-2007 21:55:39 | More by Dendrite77