Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I have read much about this fruit bomb, of sorts, and have waited patiently to acquire one. I finally happened to obtain one, and tonight, I drink. I must say, this poured a much different colour than I had anticipated. A cloudy orange with no sediment ( I expected a little) and a thick, almost glue-like snow white fluffy head that subsided to a thin white haze in about 90 seconds. Thick, sticky lacing clings tightly to the sides of the glass. The smell is F~R~U~I~T!!! ....and little else. Surprisingly, at 18%, there is nearly no alcohol present in the smell. It is also important for me to tell all who read this that I am also consuming / reviewing this at about 41F (approximately 6C), quite cold indeed. I'm sure as this warms, the smell of alcohol with surley become more evident. The easiest way for me to describe this, would be to dump a framboise lambic and about 2 shots of Stolichnaya vodka into a glass. The musty "dank basement smell" is there, just like in a lambic or a saison. The raspberry is about all your taste buds get for about half a second; very pleasant. As the liquid washes over the back of your tongue and you actually swallow it, there is no mistake about it, this stuff is HOT!! 18%? You bet!! Every bit of it!! It isn't unmanagable, especially if you're expecting it, but it is certainly intense. The mouthfeel is heavy. Very heavy. Actually...it's syrupy. "It's a big beer", just doesn't quite capture it for this one... Because of the abv and unparalleled weight / syrup like body (for the style) I gave drinkability a 2.5. This one 750mL is plenty, and it'll be quite a daunting task for me to finish this by myself tonight...I'm sure I'll sleep like a log. If you do happen to get the chance to try this one out, go for it. I promise it's unlike anything you've likely every had.
Blessed Be
-SS

SilentSabre, Mar 23, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been looking forward to Fort since it first came out. I was anticipating trying it at the EBF, but unfortunately it was all gone by the 2nd session. I picked this bottle up at Marty's yesterday.

Appearance - Red-orange color, white frothy head, leaves a thin white sticky layer.

Smell - BOOZY, very slight raspberry flavor, little malty, little hoppy

Taste - The 18% ABV hits you in the face. Warm, fusel alcohol forces me to take small sips. The raspberry flavor comes thru softly. Even so, this is a strong ale first and a fruit beer second.

Mouthfeel - Lots of warmth from the alcohol, slightly sticky, but not overly so.

Drinkability - The alcohol really limits the grade in this category. I am going to drink 3/4 of the entire 22 oz bottle, but only because I can do so over 3 hours and I can be drunk for the night. It's really not overly thick, sweet, or sticky. It's the alcohol that makes it slow to drink.

Overall I like this beer, but the price and high alcohol level make it for special occasions only.

ILiveOffHops, Feb 20, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at the Dive Bar in Worcester on Thanksgiving Eve. Served in a small 6 oz snifter. Bright orange color. Nice white head for such a tiny beer. Smell was a bit boozy. Taste was a lot more boozy than I expected. I can see now why the serving size is limited. Huge wallop of raspberry flavor comes through. Nice bite of hops on the back of the tongue on the finish. Lingering alcohol burn on the palate. A quality beer, but I feel that it's one of those extreme fruit beer that nice to try, but I don't feel the need to ever order one again.

morebeergood, Nov 30, 2009

A - Pours a clean, deep orange color

S - Bright raspberry and alcohol

T - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. Can seem a bit sweet and cloying.

M - Carbonated and warming as it goes down. A little thick and syrupy.

D - For sharing a bottle with a friend, I definitely recommend it. But the alcohol in it will creep up on you given how high alcohol it is.

JoeMertens, Apr 04, 2010
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

750 ml brown champagne style magnum with just a cap. No freshness date, but a beer this strong will age quite well.

A- The lace crackles as it slowly loses retention, good clarity ... the sediment was left behind during this pouring.

S- Smells of a raspberry cordial, sweet with a huge fruity raspberry nose.

T&M- Clean malt palate, touch of neutral yet mildly nutty yeast. Loads of berry flavors but predominantly raspberry juice. Moderate body with a slick crispness on the palate. Clean but lightly solvent alcohol warms with each sip. Clean and semi-dry finish with a fading fruitiness.

D- Wow, quite an amazing ride for a fruit beer. A little bit more alcohol and I'd be drinking gourmet schnapps. Share this beer between a few friends with a slab of raspberry filled baked Brie cheese.

Jason, Jan 22, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

2008 bottle from Chevy Chase Wine & Liquors in DC. This beer seems to be about as polarizing as it gets. Love it or hate it. Personally I thought it was good, although "love" is probably too strong of a word, reserved for things like Dark Lord, the movie "Dumb and Dumber," the Steelers, my girlfriend, authentic tacos al pastor, and Westvleteren 12.

A - Pours a hazy orangish golden color with some reddish hues and a minimal white head.

S - Sugar, raspberries, wild funk, and alcohol.

T - Sweet malt, fresh raspberries, mildly tart funk, and alcohol. Much more sweet than it is tart.

M - Medium-bodied and boozy on the palate.

D - If you think of this as a liqueur, it's actually pretty damn good and drinkable. As a beer, well, it's very unique, and I admire that.

nickd717, Sep 15, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in an English pub glass and pilsner glass. It has a decent head that last with some lacing, but who cares that much about appearance.

It smells amazing. Very sweet with tons of raspberry in it, just what I was expecting.

The taste though is lacking in my opinion. There is just too much of a brown sugar sweetness to it. The raspberry also tastes a little off in my opinion, but it might be due to the sweetness. To me it tastes almost like one of those blue or dark red tootsie roll lollipops. I wish there was more acidity to it like a real raspberry.

The mouthfeel is the worst thing about this beer. It is very hot due to the amount of alcohol and super sticky too from all the malt. It is a chore to get through more than maybe half of a 12 oz glass.

Overall, this beer does serve well as a dessert beer. Just make sure that you split it with somebody since its hard to get through.

uawildcat, Sep 07, 2012
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience.

copasetic, Apr 09, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoyed this 22oz bomber out of a large snifter glass.

A: Orangish-amber ale with blonde highlights and a thick white 1-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Holy Raspberries! Strong raspberries are dominant, superior, and overwhelming. Every sniff is as potent as the last. Wow.

T: Just like the smell raspberries kick my butt. Strong alcohol overtones followed by more raspberries dominant throughout this beer. Every sip is strong and powerful.

M: Very strong and boozy. Medium body and carbonation

O: I love these dogfish head beers. They push the envelope of what is normal and expected and make you rethink what have I been drinking all these years. That being said – this is sort of a one-time beer for me. It was a great beer after a big meal – a sort of dessert beer – but I probably wouldn’t buy this again unless I was going to a dinner party or something and needed to bring a gift.

ckollias, Jul 10, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Served bright orange with raspberry red highlights - incredible color for a beer, really. No head, not much lace, but that's okay cause' I know what's coming...

You can smell the booze on the nose, along with some sweet fruitiness. I thought from the bottle that there was a lot of cherry character, and I'm getting a lot of that on tap as well.

Big as hell. Sharp booze, but honestly it's less noticeable than in the bomber I had. Very thick, slick mouthfeel, with tons of fruit. Even some chunks of what appear to be berries.

Check this one on tap for sure, especially if you were a little disappointed from the bottle.

BretSikkink, Jan 31, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a cloudy amber red with no head and not much lace. Smells boozy upfront with sweet fruit. Tastes boozy right from the get go, this beer is huge with big fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is thick and slick and coats the mouth. Drinkability is obviously limited by the hug abv. I poured a glass for my roommate and still got a serious buzz. Bottom line: Tasty brew but way over the top. Make sure to split this big bottle with a friend.

johnd513, Feb 05, 2009

From a 750 mL bottle.

Tried 18 Jul 2008, bottled 10 Jul 2007.

Small head that quickly dissipates. First pour was clear and rosy in color, after about half the bottle was gone sediment turned it hazy and slightly brown. Aroma of raspberry and alcohol. Starts with raspberry and brown sugar, alcohol is upfront and quite warming, bourbony. Sweetness fades through the middle, becoming more resiny at the finish. Medium body, sticky mouthfeel.

Somewhat less raspberry/fruity than the NG Rasbperry Tart. Not bad but for both overall taste and price ($20 v $9) would take the NG over this.

htomsirveaux, Jan 18, 2009
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a unique orange and golden color. A strange, but alluring shimmer to this beer. It almost seems to change color as you move the glass. Looks like it might glow in the dark. Little head and no lacing, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

Rasberries up front, really strong, sort of like a rasberry flavored cough syrup (alcohol). Not unappealing though. Some hints of spices. A little vanilla maybe. Actually a little disappointing. I expected more.

Good stuff. Fruity, but not too fruity. Strangely well balanced mix of flavors. Very smooth, almost sticky feeling in the throat. Warming. Tasty and unusual...

...but still pretty hard to drink at times. That cough syrup character sticks throughout. It's not bad, but it makes it harder to keep picking up the glass. Add in the 18% ABV and the $20/bottle price tag and you pretty much have to call this a great one-time beer experience.

skillerified, Dec 31, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Dogfish Head Fort has a brown-orange colour and a decent head that turns into decent lacing quite quickly. The smell is of fruity alcohol, almost like a permanent marker. I guess that is to be accepted. The taste is sweet and fruity. The alcohol taste is immediately apparent. I like it, but I can understand why some people might not like the prominent ethanol. This beer is quite foamy for a beer of 18 %, and the alcohol sting is always there. Overall, I very interesting and nice fruit beer.

vandemonian, Dec 28, 2010

Enjoyed on-tap at the Pickled Pig Pub in Rehoboth Beach, DE

Served and enjoyed from a goblet glass

A - Beer arrived at the table with a half-finger head. A beer is deep amber color. Semi-translucent. The beer appears very thick as I swill the glass and watch as the beer slides down the sides. Little to no lacing left on the glass.

S - The initial aroma is a very sweet, very boozy aroma. Smells sort of like a wine.

T - The beer is very sweet on the first sip. A very distinct raspberry fruitiness that is combined with a sourness. A slight malt taste. No hop biterness at all. The ABV is very noticeable. This is a sipper for sure. The 4oz sample that I purchased was more than enough especially since I was trying other brews.

M - A thicker consistency. A distint alcohol aftertatse.

O - I'm a huge fan of the DFH brews and I was glad I got to try Fort. This beer pushes the boundry between beer and wine more than any other DFH beer I've tried. Although Midas Touch and Noble Rot are wine-like, in my opinion, Fort is almost like a dessert brandy. Decent tasting but not an everyday brew.

Cheers!

BuxMontBeerLover, Oct 04, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pink tinged, amber in color. A fair amount of carbonation to it. Huge, big ole nose of rasberries. This sucker screams fruit. Very sweet-no tartness to it. Nice big blast of rasberries and some crisp malt-wheat? The alcohol is very present. Slight bitterness-I chalk that up to the alcohol. While the fruit is a sweet boost it is actually quite dry. Good body for the beer overall. Very enjoyable-split a bottle with a friend @ 18%. The alcohol dominance knocks it down a bit. Now that I can get it easily in bottles I will cellar some for sure.

lackenhauser, Dec 16, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Presentation - 750ml served in medium snifter freshness date states 11/13/06 bottling
A - Ruby red/deep chesnut hued ale with a thin white head that leaves almost no lacing

S - Aromas of alchol that are sherry like, cedar and dry raspberry and mellow plum scents

M & T - Effervescent with tinges of sweet raspberry followed by honey and woody sour cherry. Flavors of currant and cardomom are accompanied by warming presence of alcohol Dances lightly on the tongue with substantial depth.

D - Not a very drinkable ale albeit a sweet and flavorful one. Strength is deceptive and might make for a better digestif than and aperitiff.

Slatetank, May 26, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

$16.99 750 mL 18.00% Bottled on 11/28/05, with this alcohol, it should keep.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazy peachy-rose into my goblet with a faint white film on top, too thin to be considered a head.

Aroma:

Rich ripe raspberry/strawberry jam with vibrant sweet berry notes. Reminiscent of Berry Zing herbal tea with a dollop of honey.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Not at all what I expected. This has notes of a belgian pale ale with a bone dry mouthfeel to it, that is accompanied by a mild presence of raspberry fruit. Alcohol warms the throat as it goes down.

I'm not disappointed, but at $17/bottle, I expected more. It is good, and unique, as all DFH beers are though the WOW! factor is missing. I won't be shelling out $17 again for this. That will have to wait for Sam's next outrageous offering.

cbl2, Jul 29, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Long story short, opening night at Birch and Barley, the wait staff was not sure what the different taps were. Someone told me that they had Life and Limb on draft so I ordered it and it turned out to be Fort.

Poured in a modified strange, served on draft at the Birch and Barley/Churchkey opening. White tight head forms quickly with moderate to high carbonation to support it, falls as you drink leaving lacing on the glass. Brown / orange in color, lots of haze, cannot see through this beer.

Aroma is complex and sour. Smells like alcohol, dried fruits, lots of sweetness, some apricots, some raspberries, honey, and citrus. Hard to pick up any specific hop character but its there.

Flavor of the beer is pretty odd. Strong / warming forward sensation. Kind of biting on the back of the tongue, almost has a wine like character to it. Hop bitterness is lost in the sour / sweet tones of the fruit. Really like dried cranberries or some other berries. Drinkability moderate, mouthfeel full.

Overall, a good experience, even if I never got my Life and Limb.

drabmuh, Oct 23, 2009

Poured from 1pt bottle into chalice

Appearance-Pours a deep amber-red, with a quickly dissipating tan head; the raspberries are clearly apparent in the coloration.

Smell-Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries; when they say this beer is brewed with a 'ton of raspberries' they aren't kidding.

Taste-Tart raspberries 'obviously' followed by strong alcohol warmth and some malts. A moderate bittering hoppiness towards the finish prevents the brew from becoming overly sweet and rounds everything out nicely.

Mouthfeel-Thick and syrupy, it's hard to drink more than a sip every few minutes but given the ABV that's to be expected.

Drinkability-This is a sipper, but it's a damn good sipper, largely because I absolutely love raspberries. It took me a few hours of sipping to polish off a bottle and it left me quite satisfied.

Notes-If you love raspberries like I do then this is a good beer to sip either by itself or over a fruit-based desert of some kind, or perhaps some dark chocolate.

Manoftyr, Mar 21, 2010
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

P: 750ml bottle poured into a DFH signature glass.

A: A nice amber with red highligths and a single finger white head. Slighty cloudy. Lacing is solid and a bit of head sticks around the edges. Pretty.

S: Sweet malt and tart raspberries with the distinct aroma of alcohol. No discernible hop aroma.

T: Sweet up front, tart on the back-end with some nice raspberry flavor. Alcohol is evident and warms on the way down. A decent balance but a touch sweet for my tastes. The higher alcohol content adds to a spirit like quality.

M: Slick and full bodied, it coats your mouth in sweetness. Carbonation is on the light side but adds to the spirit like qualities of this beer.

O: This is a bold brew. I really love raspberries and this beer showcases them well. Although a bit sweet for my tastes, the overall balance is pretty good. Tasty in small quantities but it can quickly become overwhelming. Some bitter dark chocolate pairs well and cuts the sweetness a bit, give it a try!

MikeB20, Mar 25, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Comes out of the bottle a hazy honey-golden - quite appealing. Fruity aroma has a bit of an alcohol nip to it. Flavor is mainly fruity - apple, banana and pear - and has a malty undertone as well as a strong, but not fierce, alcohol bite. Texture is smooth and subtly fizzy.

Cyberkedi, Mar 06, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Split 3 ways into snifters. Drank 9/4/12 (last night), and reviewed from notes (all my reviews are from notes, normally with the beer still being drank).

Appearance: Free pour yields a half inch offwhite head that dissipates quickly. Pours a brownish orange and leaves small bits of lacing.

Smell: Sherry-like, raisiny malt flavors. Good but a little faint.

Taste: Sugary barleywine with tons of raspberry. It's a bit "two note," raspberry punch in the face, really strong caramely malt.

There really isn't anything else to say about this beer, except that it gets a 4 for how delicious the deep, sugary barleywine malt flavor is, how well it blends with the raspberry, and how well it handles the alcohol heat.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied. Very hot. Moderate carbonation. Bit sugary.

Overall: I like it. Impressive balance for so much alcohol and such a ridiculously prominent fruit addition. Fruit itself doesn't taste like fresh fruit, but it doesn't taste like artificial syrup either.

Would be interested in aging the beer, as the malt depth is nice and the fruit and heat could stand to calm down.

Pahn, Sep 05, 2012
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Bottle shared by Grant - thanks! I've been balking at buying this for a while so I'm glad I get the chance to try non-king-sized portions.

Pours a hazy purplish-amber color with a thin white head. The head recedes into a thin ring around the glass leaving light lacing.

Smells of bright raspberries with good amounts of darker blackberries in there as well. It's got a bit of tartness that keeps the inherent sweetness from being overwhelming.

Tastes similar to how it smells. There's really no influence from whatever types of malts were used as the raspberry and milder blackberry flavors overpower everything else. Again, they're not overly sweet which is nice. Near the end of the sip a good deal of warming occurs due to the high ABV but it's a good deal away from tasting fusel-like.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with active carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. As mentioned before I'm glad I didn't have to polish an entire 750 off by myself as I don't think I'd be very happy afterwards.

Overall this was better than I was expecting - it's a big beer for sure but the alcohol is relatively well-hidden and the berry flavors have good levels of tartness and sweetness. Worth a shot if you can find some friends to share it with.

glid02, Apr 26, 2010
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Fort pours a thick hazy dark peachy brown with little tiny head that soon dissappears. The nose is of raspberry and robitussin. The first taste is of nice sugary thick raspberry, but not fresh tasting. Raspberries are there and strong but they are a really fermented flavor. Some other dark fruits and a little bit of spice go well in here. Alcohol burn is hot on the finish and warms to the bottom of the belly. Mouthfeel is thick and chewy. Drinkability is high for 18%, but it can only be so high. I think this will be quite the after dinner treat after a few years in the cellar. Good, but I think it will be significantly better in a few.

AKBelgianBeast, Jan 24, 2008