Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: To be honest, I was really expecting this to be a deep shade of red. In fact, it's a hazy, deep reddish-pumpkin body with a decent off-white head that recedes rapidly and leaves only minimal lacing (with this level of alcohol, retention and lacing is virtually out of the question).

Aroma: Sweet, berry-like, boozy, and at times almost vinegary. Complex and unique - what on earth is this going to taste like?

Taste: Wow! Intense as hell! There is no question whatsoever that the alcohol content here is almost off the charts, it's in the forefront from the beginning to the end and almost spicy in its intensity. Once the booze-shock subsides, you find a lot of complexity underneath. There's lots of fruit, including berries, banana and pineapple. As for malt, the backbone is relatively light and basically stays the hell out of the way. The aftertaste is very boozy with some hints of berry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slick, and nicely velvety. There's enough carbonation here to make it more drinkable than a liqueur. Lots of boozy burn for the tongue, the cheeks, and the throat. Dry as hell.

Drinkability: This one is going to take some time... I'd much prefer a regular 12 oz. bottle over this monster.

Verdict: This is a thoroughly unique beer - and because of this, it's hard to rate. Style is pretty much out the window here, so there's nothing much as far as guidelines go. Looks like we're in uncharted territory here folks... This big bastard of a beer tends to blur the lines between an ultra-strong beer and a weaker liqueur. It's mad as hell, but I like it. The only thing I can offer as far as a comparison goes is an Imperial Imperial Framboise. I can't wait to see how this ages.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Well in my neverending quest to empty out my closet and et to these hard to reach beers the beers that I have stored away for sometimes it may seem to be years, I have come across my latest discovery, Dogfish head's Fort. What can be said about a monstrously huge bottle of brew that simply says ale brewed with rasberry with no ABV or warning on it in regards to what may lie inside? Needless to say I was more then willing to dive in and see what this beer could be made of. I have to admit though, I was a bit intimidated, as word of mouth had told me this was a damn bigbeer that was gonna be hard to put down, we shall see....

Well upon the pour we have an extremely hazy amber. Slightly darker then your normal ale. Lots of visible carbonation was evident from the start, chains of bubbles rippling up from the bottom of the glass. Lots of haze, literally made this opaque. Tons of suspended particles as well, some of them quite large. This may have been due to the aged bottle, as it had a 11/05 brewed date on it. Nice one inch thick white head receeded rather quicky leaving behind a thin film on top of the glass and a nice amount of lace drooping down the sides. Biggest story here. by far had to be all the haziness and the suspended particles which it seemed clouded the view completly and gave it a very thick appearence.

The smell was strong, and very fruity. Large hint of rasberry was readily apparent from the start. I would have thought that the alcohol smell would have been stronger then what it was, however it was not that apparent. Don't get me wrong, this smelled alot like a strong wine, however it just did not smell overwhelminglt strong from the start. A very sugary aroma aroma was present as was a slight hint of grain in the back, overall very fruity smell.

The taste was well, bitter. This knocked my head back at the first sip. Insanely strong and fruity. Perhaps the strongest fruiteness I have ever tasted in a beer before. Incredible fresh rasberries in the flavor were evident right from the start. The one thing that shocked me however, was that I would have thought the alcohol presence would have been alot stronger then it was. It was noticeable but not 18% noticeable if you know what I mean, A slight hoppiness was present in the finsh, quite dry actually. Very smooth feel, great carbonation, led to that nice silky, bubbly light feeling. Overall the flavors were very very intense, and the fruit and hop flavors far overpowered the alcohol. This made the profile really jump out at you, and made what could have been overpoweringly hot with alcohol,. not only tolerable, but actually rather emjoyable as the session wore on.

Overall this was one of the more unique beers I have tried. Way way fruity and full of complex flavors, and over the top with the alcohol, to the point I probably should not have gone at this one alone. Somehow, someway they brewed this to be very drinkable. You gotta try this at least once for the novelty sake of it, though at 20 bucks its a bit of a far cry from pure novelty. Still this was really much better then I had expected and I would really recommend trying this.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Served from a 750ml. bottle into a snifter just under cellar temp. Bottled date is 11/13/2006

A - Poured a finger and a half light pinkish / off white head. The head settled down to a drinkable level very quick with some lasting lacing. Color is a clear reddish orange with a few specks of sediment.

S - Aromas of what else? Raspberries!! Light alcohol present but nowhere near what I expected out of 18%

T – Again what else raspberries!! Some bitterness present in the finish. Very sweet.

M – Texture is light and bubbly. What I would consider a clean finish, almost crisp.

D - I’m a big DFH fan. This isn’t one of my favorites though. I just had to give it a chance, too sweet for my pallet. Luck I split it with a couple of friend because I couldn’t have finished the bottle myself. Even though it wasn’t my favorite DFH I’d still recommend giving it a taste.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle poured into a large snifter. This was bottled way back in July 2007. I didn't realize it was quite this strong when I opened it... hopefully I'll be able to finish.

Smell is an intensely sweet mix of raspberries and honey. Taste is extremely sweet as well, but very intense as you would expect with something this strong. The raspberries are prevalent and definitely the dominant flavor here. The best comparison would be a very sweet and bubbly raspberry dessert wine. An unpleasant comparison is a fruity cough syrup. Overall, I think this is good and interesting but would've been easier to enjoy if it hadn't been quite this strong.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottled in '09, pours hazy golden brown, slight reddish tinge about it. No head here, whatsoever, though I did a slightly aggressive pour. Yield equals nothing. Overall, looks like a good brew, not what one would expect a fruit beer to look like.

Smell is huge fusel alcohol. Not much else, maybe a hint of raspberry scent, but mostly that big alcohol scent.

Taste is a bit of raspberry, a lot of alcohol, and a nice malt backbone follows up in the aftertaste.

Feel is super warm. Probably can be classified as hot. Warming like a shot of hard liquor. Good carbonation, nice and tingly, alive on the palate.

Average in the drinkability arena. Very heavy on the booze can lead to trouble. I'm polishing off this 750mL alone, and I hate to see what tomorrow brings.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I have read much about this fruit bomb, of sorts, and have waited patiently to acquire one. I finally happened to obtain one, and tonight, I drink. I must say, this poured a much different colour than I had anticipated. A cloudy orange with no sediment ( I expected a little) and a thick, almost glue-like snow white fluffy head that subsided to a thin white haze in about 90 seconds. Thick, sticky lacing clings tightly to the sides of the glass. The smell is F~R~U~I~T!!! ....and little else. Surprisingly, at 18%, there is nearly no alcohol present in the smell. It is also important for me to tell all who read this that I am also consuming / reviewing this at about 41F (approximately 6C), quite cold indeed. I'm sure as this warms, the smell of alcohol with surley become more evident. The easiest way for me to describe this, would be to dump a framboise lambic and about 2 shots of Stolichnaya vodka into a glass. The musty "dank basement smell" is there, just like in a lambic or a saison. The raspberry is about all your taste buds get for about half a second; very pleasant. As the liquid washes over the back of your tongue and you actually swallow it, there is no mistake about it, this stuff is HOT!! 18%? You bet!! Every bit of it!! It isn't unmanagable, especially if you're expecting it, but it is certainly intense. The mouthfeel is heavy. Very heavy. Actually...it's syrupy. "It's a big beer", just doesn't quite capture it for this one... Because of the abv and unparalleled weight / syrup like body (for the style) I gave drinkability a 2.5. This one 750mL is plenty, and it'll be quite a daunting task for me to finish this by myself tonight...I'm sure I'll sleep like a log. If you do happen to get the chance to try this one out, go for it. I promise it's unlike anything you've likely every had.
Blessed Be
-SS

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been looking forward to Fort since it first came out. I was anticipating trying it at the EBF, but unfortunately it was all gone by the 2nd session. I picked this bottle up at Marty's yesterday.

Appearance - Red-orange color, white frothy head, leaves a thin white sticky layer.

Smell - BOOZY, very slight raspberry flavor, little malty, little hoppy

Taste - The 18% ABV hits you in the face. Warm, fusel alcohol forces me to take small sips. The raspberry flavor comes thru softly. Even so, this is a strong ale first and a fruit beer second.

Mouthfeel - Lots of warmth from the alcohol, slightly sticky, but not overly so.

Drinkability - The alcohol really limits the grade in this category. I am going to drink 3/4 of the entire 22 oz bottle, but only because I can do so over 3 hours and I can be drunk for the night. It's really not overly thick, sweet, or sticky. It's the alcohol that makes it slow to drink.

Overall I like this beer, but the price and high alcohol level make it for special occasions only.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

On tap at the Dive Bar in Worcester on Thanksgiving Eve. Served in a small 6 oz snifter. Bright orange color. Nice white head for such a tiny beer. Smell was a bit boozy. Taste was a lot more boozy than I expected. I can see now why the serving size is limited. Huge wallop of raspberry flavor comes through. Nice bite of hops on the back of the tongue on the finish. Lingering alcohol burn on the palate. A quality beer, but I feel that it's one of those extreme fruit beer that nice to try, but I don't feel the need to ever order one again.

A - Pours a clean, deep orange color

S - Bright raspberry and alcohol

T - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. Can seem a bit sweet and cloying.

M - Carbonated and warming as it goes down. A little thick and syrupy.

D - For sharing a bottle with a friend, I definitely recommend it. But the alcohol in it will creep up on you given how high alcohol it is.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

750 ml brown champagne style magnum with just a cap. No freshness date, but a beer this strong will age quite well.

A- The lace crackles as it slowly loses retention, good clarity ... the sediment was left behind during this pouring.

S- Smells of a raspberry cordial, sweet with a huge fruity raspberry nose.

T&M- Clean malt palate, touch of neutral yet mildly nutty yeast. Loads of berry flavors but predominantly raspberry juice. Moderate body with a slick crispness on the palate. Clean but lightly solvent alcohol warms with each sip. Clean and semi-dry finish with a fading fruitiness.

D- Wow, quite an amazing ride for a fruit beer. A little bit more alcohol and I'd be drinking gourmet schnapps. Share this beer between a few friends with a slab of raspberry filled baked Brie cheese.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

2008 bottle from Chevy Chase Wine & Liquors in DC. This beer seems to be about as polarizing as it gets. Love it or hate it. Personally I thought it was good, although "love" is probably too strong of a word, reserved for things like Dark Lord, the movie "Dumb and Dumber," the Steelers, my girlfriend, authentic tacos al pastor, and Westvleteren 12.

A - Pours a hazy orangish golden color with some reddish hues and a minimal white head.

S - Sugar, raspberries, wild funk, and alcohol.

T - Sweet malt, fresh raspberries, mildly tart funk, and alcohol. Much more sweet than it is tart.

M - Medium-bodied and boozy on the palate.

D - If you think of this as a liqueur, it's actually pretty damn good and drinkable. As a beer, well, it's very unique, and I admire that.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in an English pub glass and pilsner glass. It has a decent head that last with some lacing, but who cares that much about appearance.

It smells amazing. Very sweet with tons of raspberry in it, just what I was expecting.

The taste though is lacking in my opinion. There is just too much of a brown sugar sweetness to it. The raspberry also tastes a little off in my opinion, but it might be due to the sweetness. To me it tastes almost like one of those blue or dark red tootsie roll lollipops. I wish there was more acidity to it like a real raspberry.

The mouthfeel is the worst thing about this beer. It is very hot due to the amount of alcohol and super sticky too from all the malt. It is a chore to get through more than maybe half of a 12 oz glass.

Overall, this beer does serve well as a dessert beer. Just make sure that you split it with somebody since its hard to get through.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoyed this 22oz bomber out of a large snifter glass.

A: Orangish-amber ale with blonde highlights and a thick white 1-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Holy Raspberries! Strong raspberries are dominant, superior, and overwhelming. Every sniff is as potent as the last. Wow.

T: Just like the smell raspberries kick my butt. Strong alcohol overtones followed by more raspberries dominant throughout this beer. Every sip is strong and powerful.

M: Very strong and boozy. Medium body and carbonation

O: I love these dogfish head beers. They push the envelope of what is normal and expected and make you rethink what have I been drinking all these years. That being said – this is sort of a one-time beer for me. It was a great beer after a big meal – a sort of dessert beer – but I probably wouldn’t buy this again unless I was going to a dinner party or something and needed to bring a gift.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Served bright orange with raspberry red highlights - incredible color for a beer, really. No head, not much lace, but that's okay cause' I know what's coming...

You can smell the booze on the nose, along with some sweet fruitiness. I thought from the bottle that there was a lot of cherry character, and I'm getting a lot of that on tap as well.

Big as hell. Sharp booze, but honestly it's less noticeable than in the bomber I had. Very thick, slick mouthfeel, with tons of fruit. Even some chunks of what appear to be berries.

Check this one on tap for sure, especially if you were a little disappointed from the bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a cloudy amber red with no head and not much lace. Smells boozy upfront with sweet fruit. Tastes boozy right from the get go, this beer is huge with big fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is thick and slick and coats the mouth. Drinkability is obviously limited by the hug abv. I poured a glass for my roommate and still got a serious buzz. Bottom line: Tasty brew but way over the top. Make sure to split this big bottle with a friend.

From a 750 mL bottle.

Tried 18 Jul 2008, bottled 10 Jul 2007.

Small head that quickly dissipates. First pour was clear and rosy in color, after about half the bottle was gone sediment turned it hazy and slightly brown. Aroma of raspberry and alcohol. Starts with raspberry and brown sugar, alcohol is upfront and quite warming, bourbony. Sweetness fades through the middle, becoming more resiny at the finish. Medium body, sticky mouthfeel.

Somewhat less raspberry/fruity than the NG Rasbperry Tart. Not bad but for both overall taste and price ($20 v $9) would take the NG over this.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a unique orange and golden color. A strange, but alluring shimmer to this beer. It almost seems to change color as you move the glass. Looks like it might glow in the dark. Little head and no lacing, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

Rasberries up front, really strong, sort of like a rasberry flavored cough syrup (alcohol). Not unappealing though. Some hints of spices. A little vanilla maybe. Actually a little disappointing. I expected more.

Good stuff. Fruity, but not too fruity. Strangely well balanced mix of flavors. Very smooth, almost sticky feeling in the throat. Warming. Tasty and unusual...

...but still pretty hard to drink at times. That cough syrup character sticks throughout. It's not bad, but it makes it harder to keep picking up the glass. Add in the 18% ABV and the $20/bottle price tag and you pretty much have to call this a great one-time beer experience.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Dogfish Head Fort has a brown-orange colour and a decent head that turns into decent lacing quite quickly. The smell is of fruity alcohol, almost like a permanent marker. I guess that is to be accepted. The taste is sweet and fruity. The alcohol taste is immediately apparent. I like it, but I can understand why some people might not like the prominent ethanol. This beer is quite foamy for a beer of 18 %, and the alcohol sting is always there. Overall, I very interesting and nice fruit beer.

Enjoyed on-tap at the Pickled Pig Pub in Rehoboth Beach, DE

Served and enjoyed from a goblet glass

A - Beer arrived at the table with a half-finger head. A beer is deep amber color. Semi-translucent. The beer appears very thick as I swill the glass and watch as the beer slides down the sides. Little to no lacing left on the glass.

S - The initial aroma is a very sweet, very boozy aroma. Smells sort of like a wine.

T - The beer is very sweet on the first sip. A very distinct raspberry fruitiness that is combined with a sourness. A slight malt taste. No hop biterness at all. The ABV is very noticeable. This is a sipper for sure. The 4oz sample that I purchased was more than enough especially since I was trying other brews.

M - A thicker consistency. A distint alcohol aftertatse.

O - I'm a huge fan of the DFH brews and I was glad I got to try Fort. This beer pushes the boundry between beer and wine more than any other DFH beer I've tried. Although Midas Touch and Noble Rot are wine-like, in my opinion, Fort is almost like a dessert brandy. Decent tasting but not an everyday brew.

Cheers!

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Pink tinged, amber in color. A fair amount of carbonation to it. Huge, big ole nose of rasberries. This sucker screams fruit. Very sweet-no tartness to it. Nice big blast of rasberries and some crisp malt-wheat? The alcohol is very present. Slight bitterness-I chalk that up to the alcohol. While the fruit is a sweet boost it is actually quite dry. Good body for the beer overall. Very enjoyable-split a bottle with a friend @ 18%. The alcohol dominance knocks it down a bit. Now that I can get it easily in bottles I will cellar some for sure.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Presentation - 750ml served in medium snifter freshness date states 11/13/06 bottling
A - Ruby red/deep chesnut hued ale with a thin white head that leaves almost no lacing

S - Aromas of alchol that are sherry like, cedar and dry raspberry and mellow plum scents

M & T - Effervescent with tinges of sweet raspberry followed by honey and woody sour cherry. Flavors of currant and cardomom are accompanied by warming presence of alcohol Dances lightly on the tongue with substantial depth.

D - Not a very drinkable ale albeit a sweet and flavorful one. Strength is deceptive and might make for a better digestif than and aperitiff.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

$16.99 750 mL 18.00% Bottled on 11/28/05, with this alcohol, it should keep.

Appearance:

Pours a slightly hazy peachy-rose into my goblet with a faint white film on top, too thin to be considered a head.

Aroma:

Rich ripe raspberry/strawberry jam with vibrant sweet berry notes. Reminiscent of Berry Zing herbal tea with a dollop of honey.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Not at all what I expected. This has notes of a belgian pale ale with a bone dry mouthfeel to it, that is accompanied by a mild presence of raspberry fruit. Alcohol warms the throat as it goes down.

I'm not disappointed, but at $17/bottle, I expected more. It is good, and unique, as all DFH beers are though the WOW! factor is missing. I won't be shelling out $17 again for this. That will have to wait for Sam's next outrageous offering.

3.85/5  rDev +4.6%

Long story short, opening night at Birch and Barley, the wait staff was not sure what the different taps were. Someone told me that they had Life and Limb on draft so I ordered it and it turned out to be Fort.

Poured in a modified strange, served on draft at the Birch and Barley/Churchkey opening. White tight head forms quickly with moderate to high carbonation to support it, falls as you drink leaving lacing on the glass. Brown / orange in color, lots of haze, cannot see through this beer.

Aroma is complex and sour. Smells like alcohol, dried fruits, lots of sweetness, some apricots, some raspberries, honey, and citrus. Hard to pick up any specific hop character but its there.

Flavor of the beer is pretty odd. Strong / warming forward sensation. Kind of biting on the back of the tongue, almost has a wine like character to it. Hop bitterness is lost in the sour / sweet tones of the fruit. Really like dried cranberries or some other berries. Drinkability moderate, mouthfeel full.

Overall, a good experience, even if I never got my Life and Limb.

Poured from 1pt bottle into chalice

Appearance-Pours a deep amber-red, with a quickly dissipating tan head; the raspberries are clearly apparent in the coloration.

Smell-Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries; when they say this beer is brewed with a 'ton of raspberries' they aren't kidding.

Taste-Tart raspberries 'obviously' followed by strong alcohol warmth and some malts. A moderate bittering hoppiness towards the finish prevents the brew from becoming overly sweet and rounds everything out nicely.

Mouthfeel-Thick and syrupy, it's hard to drink more than a sip every few minutes but given the ABV that's to be expected.

Drinkability-This is a sipper, but it's a damn good sipper, largely because I absolutely love raspberries. It took me a few hours of sipping to polish off a bottle and it left me quite satisfied.

Notes-If you love raspberries like I do then this is a good beer to sip either by itself or over a fruit-based desert of some kind, or perhaps some dark chocolate.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery