Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Bottle: Poured a clear light copper color ale with a very small head with little retention. Aroma of sweet raspberry is pleasant enough but the burning alcohol kind of ruin it for me. Taste is quite sweet with some raspberry presence thought not as much as I would have expected (since the label mentioned ‘’over a ton of raspberry’’ I was thinking New Glarus Raspberry style). Alcohol is way too hot for my liking and body is a bit thin. Overall, this is a way too expensive fruity malt liquor.

05-24-2006 14:17:52 | More by Phyl21ca
oakbluff

Manitoba (Canada)

2.58/5  rDev -29.9%

Pours out a rose colour with minal head and some lacing. Nose- raspberry jam and honey. Taste- yeesh- hot boozy sweet raspberries. Fuck, that's not good for business. Its just too damn sweet. Its the same sweetness I've not enjoyed in some other DFH offerings. The raspberries are nice enough, but the its just too hot and sickly sweet. Not enjoyable whatsoever. Why did I crack this one by myself? Better yet, why didn't I buy two bottles of raspberry tart that were in eye sight of this abomination??? Not a happy drinking experience. I think if this had been toned down a tad it would have turned out better. good for DFH to experiment, just don't bottle it and charge me almost $20 for it!

10-14-2007 01:11:18 | More by oakbluff
cbutova

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

06-19-2011 05:38:20 | More by cbutova
Sponan

Tennessee

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%

2006 edition poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Copper colored with some red highlights. Good 1 to 1 1/2 finger head that lasts. Some lacing, but not a lot.

Smell - First impression is raspberry, then mingling with alcohol and yeast. It doesn't smell overly sweet.

Taste - Hints of raspberries, with less sweetness than I expected. And then I got hit with an alcohol bomb. The alcohol is way too pronounced in this one. I thought letting it sit around for 18 months would mellow it a bit. Obviously not. No balance at all. I like my beer to at least remind me of beer.

Mouthfeel - The high carbonation is great, but the alcohol is again just too much.

Drinkability - Between the price and the difficulty drinking, I really don't think too highly of this beer. I have had moonshine that is easier to drink.

This is not one of my favorite DFH beers. No balance or subtlety here. Try one of their other extreme beers instead.

02-25-2008 23:42:12 | More by Sponan
darkside7268

2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

01-08-2011 02:24:59 | More by darkside7268
Thefinerthings

Tennessee

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible.

01-26-2009 04:57:21 | More by Thefinerthings
mjc410

Vermont

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured into a Duvel tulip for probably the only sampling I'll ever have...

A: Bright amber, medium-light carbonation rising to the top, slight head as a ring around the top with thick lacing on the sides of the glass.

S: Alcohol is the strongest scent, with a hint of raspberries

T: Tingling carbonation, slight acidity, raspberry comes through at the end, alcohol is increasingly warming

M: Mouth coating, slightly toward syrupy

D: Not very good - too highly alcoholic, without any real "beer" taste

02-24-2006 05:55:56 | More by mjc410
froghop

Washington

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

pours a clear orange with a small white head, and okay lacing.

smell is of malt, grass, lighter fluid, some berries, and earth.

taste is sweet, tart, of raspberry, and malt, ends dry and tart.

overall i would expect more from dogfish head, the smell of lighter fluid was bad and i feel affected the taste as well.

06-14-2009 15:48:08 | More by froghop
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

2.68/5  rDev -27.2%

Poured a fizzy, orangy pink appearence, bubbles but no head - though it did leave somelacing. First impression is the 18% - yup, you can certainly tell its there - each and every one of the 18%, for sure. This is like a harsh and potent raspberry syrop that really burns. Raspberries seem authentic but not sweet, and the beer is honestly too pinsing and drowned out with alcohol to make it any way fruity. Aroma did evolve sniff to sniff though. Can't find any hops. Liquere like, actually very reminscent of a cognac and became continuously so as it warmed. Syropy and an alltogether different fruit beer. Perhaps slightly enjoyable (in a small dosage) but overall, flavours are scraped out by this burning cognac taste and mouthfeel is void of any finish or aftertaste. Where does this stand? Nothing in any way completes this beer. Couldn't tell you how this one would age, but I wouldn't be willing to try it. A neat one for sure, though I wouldn't revisit I was very happy to try - big thanks to northyorkSammy!

This beer seemed to hit the head more than it hit the tastebuds. A beer of this strength is hard done by to have any grace, and it doesn't.
Like other DogFish Head products, they've crafted this creative, over-the-top beer that I appreciate more for it's quality and creativity, than I do enjoy it for it's taste.

05-25-2006 16:48:31 | More by biegaman
mtnbikerpa

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

This brew was poured from a 750 ml bottle. Poured a reddish hue with about 2 inches of thick head. Strong scents of paint thinner or solvent. Thick alcohol flavor along with nail polish remover. Very little if any raspberry flavor. No fruit flavors to speak of. Mouthfeel is heavy. Drinkable nature is very limited.

04-27-2010 23:46:57 | More by mtnbikerpa
2xHops

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

When I first poured this... What the hell? The color seems quite thin and transparent. There were a lot of head and carbonation fizzing up. It reminded me a bit of Duvel, but with a bit more carbonation.

Smell - I definitely can smell the raspberries coming out of this bottle, and it was alright.

Taste - I personally thought the taste was peculiar for something that I usually love: raspberries. The raspberry flavor is there, which I like, but I felt that something else was screwing it up.

Mouthfeel - It's too thin and over-carbonated for my taste. It's too bubbly in my mouth. It felt a bit like a cheap sparkling juice a recovering alcoholic might drink at a New Year's Eve party.

Drinkability - I guess a lot of people would like this, but it's not very drinkable for me because mainly of the carbonation. I tried hard to try liking it, but couldn't. It's, by far, my least favorite Dogfish Head beer.

01-17-2011 04:24:41 | More by 2xHops
CONOR8832

2.73/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Very colorful beer, beautiful aray of colors, amber, some shades of pink, and some delicate red tones,I am sure from the rasberries. Very eye catching in appearance.

S - Solid aroma of fresh off the vine rasberries, with a touch of a freshly popped botte of chanpagne. This smell reminds me of a New Years celebration.

T - An explosive hit of fresh pureed rasberrries, there are a few citrus tasting notes in there but mostly fermented rasberries. Slight taste of some wood/oak notes with the champagne flavor left to linger on your tounge.

M - Ok I am going to make my champagne reference again. Yes this beer was very bubbly and dry, like a fine french champange. (I am now done with champagne references)

D - Not my personal favorite but I have to try everything. There was a little to much rasberry flavor/sweetness. I know that this is a fruit beer but in my opinion I did not care for the the sweetness that Fort had to it, like I said not my favorite but it is ok. Good beer to have after dinner in combination with some dark chocolate.

09-06-2010 13:43:09 | More by CONOR8832

South Carolina

07-16-2013 23:37:48 | More by bmjivi221
billab914

2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

On the bottle it said bottled in 2008. Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Southern Tier tulip glass. It poured amber orange in color with a slight reddish tint to it. It has a very modest head, barely covering the top of the beer and concentrated around the edges.

The aroma shows a lot of boozy alcohol to it. The raspberries are definitely present as well but come through more as if they were soaked in alcohol. There is just too much solvent like alcohol flavors coming through to be that appealing.

The taste shows a lot of the fruity raspberry flavors. They really come through pretty nicely and taste fresh which is a plus. Lots of alcohol present as well and very warming as I drank it. More of an alcohol soaked raspberry flavor to it then anything else really.

The mouthfeel is on the heavier side and somewhat syrupy with moderate carbonation. Drinkability isn't that great unfortunately, it's a lot like drinking a raspberry liquor. Just too hot and boozy to be that drinkable. The raspberry flavors were pretty good and fresh but they weren't bold enough to get past the alcohol. This wasn't that bad of a drink, I just don't think it scores well as a beer. I probably would think it was a very good raspberry liquor.

11-07-2010 23:06:11 | More by billab914
DaveHS

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

Dogfish Head is really pushing it these days. They seem to be doing the AVERY thing...trying to make one beer in every concievable style that will make people say," You can't even taste the alcohol! How do they balance it so well? It gets me drunk and it tastes like fruit! Yay!" The only problem is that this doesn't often work, and the result is usually a sacrifice of style for ABV.
As for FORT, I have no idea what the hell they were trying to do. This takes like cranberries and vodka. For $20.00! What the hell?
It pours out the color of a cran-apple Fruitopia. Almost no head. What little there is receeds quickly. Smells like berris and cheap Nikolai vodka out of a plastic bottle. It's kind of syrupy. The mouthfeel is okay at first, but gets progressively hotter as you go on. I'm sipping it right now. I take a little in my mouth, swish it, hold it, swallow it, wait a moment...NOTHING! What a one dimensional beer. Drinkable, sure, if you just want tog et drunk, but this is nothing special, and it is WAY overpriced.
Dogfish Head needs to get their act together. I remember the days of 120 minute IPA 750s that tasted like they were brewed by Jesus.
Bottom line, don't waste your money. Blah.

03-28-2008 04:34:22 | More by DaveHS
emmasdad

Colorado

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

WOW, and not in a good way. Spent a night in Loveland with the family, and stopped into a well known liqour store for a few bottles. Saw 750s of this one on sale for eleven bucks, and my wife really wanted to try it. This was not a pleasant experience. Huge raspberry flavors were present, but so was a huge, overbearing and unpleasant alcohol presence. This one was too hot to be enjoyed.

08-29-2010 04:09:11 | More by emmasdad
WhiteOak

Connecticut

2.78/5  rDev -24.5%

A- Bright yellow-amber, with a head that is quick to settle.

S- Smells of raspberry hard candy, caramel malt, and a touch of yeast.

T- Robitussin cough syrup comes to mind, and for me this strongly negative taste association is a deal-breaker. Volatile ethanol bombs the palate with heat in between the waves of artificial/chemical fruit flavor, harsh & hot from attack to finish. Underlying sweet, salty & sour malt. Sour finish.

M- Hot mouthfeel, and slightly sticky. CO2 perfect.

D- I found Fort to have poor drinkability due to what I consider to be unpleasant flavors. Since I love Port wine, I am not offended by heat or sweet; and I do like raspberry, but to me, Fort's cough syrup flavor was not appealing.

04-13-2010 22:10:43 | More by WhiteOak
CRJMellor

Arkansas

2.8/5  rDev -23.9%

Pours a sort of off color dark orange with a clean white head. sort of soda-like carbonation.
Aroma has a nice undercurrent of red berries with some corn-like malt liquor and medicinal notes. Raspberry puree notes pick up as it warms a bit, pleasant.
Flavor is simply hot alcohol with a dash of raspberry. Get no hops bittering or floral notes at all. Simply an grain alcohol or malt liquor with a splash of raspbeery and it actulaly becomes more alcholic as it warms. Almost unpleasant
Mouthfeel is "hot" sort of sacchiriny sweet that eliminate any tart fruit flavor and just focuses on sweet alcohol.
Drinkability is disappointing. This may need some serious aging but I'm not sure that is going to do the trick. End result was simply an alcoholic malt liquor with some raspberry flavoring added. Nyquil comes to mind. Very disappointing.

05-12-2006 16:43:06 | More by CRJMellor