Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

750 ml bottle into wine glass, bottled in 2008. Pours extremely hazy red orange color with a foamy 1 finger off white head with poor retention that reduces to almost nothing. Aromas of strong raspberries, booze, and some tartness and big sweetness. The nose isn’t particularly inviting, but is alright. Taste of huge booze up front with some raspberries, malty sweetness, and some spiciness. Lingering notes of sweetness and booze on the finish. Big alcohol in the taste and a huge warming on the finish. This is pretty much undrinkable, way too much alcohol presence. Big syrupy mouthfeel with light-medium carbonation. This was just not good at all, my first drain pour. I could not see myself finishing this bottle.

superspak, Jul 27, 2011
3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoyed this 22oz bomber out of a large snifter glass.

A: Orangish-amber ale with blonde highlights and a thick white 1-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Holy Raspberries! Strong raspberries are dominant, superior, and overwhelming. Every sniff is as potent as the last. Wow.

T: Just like the smell raspberries kick my butt. Strong alcohol overtones followed by more raspberries dominant throughout this beer. Every sip is strong and powerful.

M: Very strong and boozy. Medium body and carbonation

O: I love these dogfish head beers. They push the envelope of what is normal and expected and make you rethink what have I been drinking all these years. That being said – this is sort of a one-time beer for me. It was a great beer after a big meal – a sort of dessert beer – but I probably wouldn’t buy this again unless I was going to a dinner party or something and needed to bring a gift.

ckollias, Jul 10, 2011
1.8/5  rDev -51.1%

I had pretty high hopes when I picked up a bottle of this because I have a big appreciation for bold flavors and for beers that try to tame in high ABVs. Not to mention, I've mostly had great experiences with DFH. I'm sorry to say it was a major disappointment and the first drainpour I've ever done with a beer from a well-respected brewery of the likes of DFH, and one of the very few I've ever done.

Smells and tastes like someone melted pounds of raspberry and blackberry candy into a vat of vodka. It's as though they tried to at least hide the alcohol by going over the top in sweetness but instead you get double punched by both over the top sweetness and over the top heat. I'm someone who can really enjoy a sweet beer and loves, for example, dessert stouts, but this is the type of sweetness you'd expect from a smirnoff ice special release, not a DFH special release. I honestly thought of mixing this beer with water to make it bearable so I wouldn't have to drainpour it. I don't know what to say, pure sweetness and pure alcohol that do nothing to mitigate one another and fight in your mouth in the most unpleasant battle ever. The only reason I don't give this an F is because I'm open to the possibility that there must be some niche out there that loves both syrup and vodka and would find some comfort in this beer. For anyone who enjoys well-managed flavors and complexity, this beer is an easy avoid.

Klym, Jul 08, 2011
3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottled in 2009. Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter.

A - Red/Orange color. A bit hazy. Almost no head whatsoever.

S - Intense raspberry notes. The alcohol definitely comes through. Almost no hop aroma probably because the bottle is two years old.

T - Much like the nose there are intense raspberry flavors and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Some tartness from the raspberry. Relatively no hop flavor at all.

M - Medium bodied. I am left with a tangy tartness in my mouth long after drinking.

Overall if you have never had this beer you should try it at least once to say you did. Dogfish Head pushed the envelope with this one. If you can find a vintage bottle buy it. It is worth the money.

wscaffe, Jul 07, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into my DFH goblet.

Appears a cloudy orange brown with a thin rim of head remaining.

Smells very boozy with a tart citric nip to the nose.

Taste is boozy up front and finishes out with a subtle bitter to sweet raspberry burst. Alcohol definitely cones through.

Mouthfeel is complex with a variety of bitterness and subtle sweetness to it. Again, high abv is not lost... It's a sipper.

Overall an interesting beer experience. I'm partial to a Lindeman's framboise but I'm prone to a sweet tooth when not drinking hop bombers.

Yagman3000, Jul 01, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

jeffmonarch, Jun 27, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

A- pours a murky dull orange, thin head. Decent head retention, no lacing.

S- smells like a sour/tart.

T- slighty sour. Fruity, would say raspberry because I know better hah. Boozy N' wild, don't bother this guy none.

M- medium mouthfeel, spot of carbonation I feel.

D/O- split between a few people for the girlfriends bday, we all enjoyed. Liked more than my score would indicate. Another experimental success in my book from DFH. Thanks MammothBrew!

Duff27, Jun 26, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottle date was 7/9/07, almost 4 years old. This is the beer I blame for my terrible hangover the next day.

Pours hazy reddish orange, I imagined it being more pink. Surprising off-white head retains well and leaves some lace.

Ugh. What a scent...honey mustard, mustard seed, oxidation, and light berries. Just...pretty damn bad.

Not quite as bad as the smell, but close. Mustard, raspberries, vodka, caramel. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and I wouldn't call it super boozy, but between all the alcohol and weird flavors I can't even say this is really close to enjoyable.

I had this fresh on-tap once and that was better. Not sure if age is to blame here but this was one wacky, off-putting beer that gave me bad flashbacks the next day.

Chico1985, Jun 23, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

ppearance:

Today I am going with a new glass that I picked up while I was on vacation last week in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This elegant beauty is from Stone and was designed for their “Vertical Epic” series which is going to be a true test of time. As I popped the large bottle open there was just a faint hiss coming from the neck, nothing really earth shattering. On the pour I wasn’t sure how to tackle this one so I went straight on and noticed that it began to foam quite hard, I backed off and the head seemed to dissipate instantly. When I was done there was no head to mention of and no bubbles floating around anywhere. As I hold my glass up to the light it appears as a really rusty and murky brown color that resembles pond water. There is a lot of pectin haze going on here, probably from the fruit. It leaves me with a opaque liquid that isn’t chunky from yeast, just hazy. On the viscosity check I gave a nice healthy swirl around my glass and noticed there was a fair amount of legs, but not what you might think in terms of this high ABV.

Smell:

This not-so-pretty ale delivers a huge knuckle sandwich of raspberries and deep burnt sugar aromas up front. Lots of heat alcohol on the nose even after being cellared for almost three years, with sharp vapors that tingle your nose hairs. Vaguely I am pulling out some raisin and toffee undertones as the chalice warms up, with a touch of cinnamon. In the finish more berry like flavors that range from blueberries to cherries.

Taste:

As in the initial waft from the nose, the raspberries take front and center stage here. Gobs of sticky sweetness and berries that are just running amok in my mouth and I love it! Carmel and toffee certainly are right around the corner and balance all the fruit out nicely. As you take the initial swallow the heat alcohol grabs your throat and doesn’t want to let go, it is hot and fumy, but in a strange way it makes all these flavors mesh perfectly. This has a long lingering raspberry finish that is lip smacking delicious and after awhile you don’t even notice the 18% ABV. This beer is smooth sailing all the way to the end of the glass.

Drinkability:

Ahhh what can I say, you all know I love Dogfish Head so maybe I am biased. But this is probably one of my favorite examples of a well made fruit beer. Let it be said that if you open a bottle of this, it is going to be a long evening. So maybe you might want to grab a few friends for this one. The drinkability is low in the fact that the ABV is so high but on the scale of flavor and complexity I’d rate it pretty high. If you see this seasonal from these guys, grab a bottle or ten and put some away for later to see how they develop. Fort should be pretty accessible to most states and reasonably priced so I give it a big thumbs up in value

Bmoyer0301, Jun 20, 2011
2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

2008 bottle.

Appears murky brownish red. It looks like carbonated red muddy swamp water. It also look s like a blood infused iced coffee drink. There is no real head to this beer.

It smells of brown sugar, rust, sweet malt and sweet raspberries. It does not have a complex raspberry smell like many other raspberry beers do.

It tastes of sweet malts. I get a bit of a brown sugar flavor. There is a raspberry flavor that is muddled in with a strong alcohol flavor. The finish of this beer is pretty nasty. It finishes with a strong rusty flavor.

it has a thick mouthfeel.

I feel like I have rusty nails in my mouth this rusty taste just will not go away. Drinking this makes my stomach turn. An interesting concept though the result is pretty poor. I can taste some berry flavor but the alcohol taste and the rustiness makes this beer not appealing.

My dad kind of likes it but he is kind of an alcoholic anyhow!

chumba526, Jun 19, 2011
2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

cbutova, Jun 19, 2011
3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I cellared this beer for approximately one year under the adequate and relatively constant temperatures of my subterranean layer. Excited for the beer just at the summer breaking point when the days are almost beginning to get shorter and hotter.

Appearance:
The beer pours a very rich amber color with almost no head. Towards the end of the bottle there is noticeable white, floating sediment, but most of it stayed suspended. Speckled with white freckles.

Smell:
Potent ethanol with a tart berry sweetness. The berry aroma is specific to a tart berry of the woods, mostly raspberries. Candy sugars and no bitterness or spice. This beer smells strong for a fruit beer, I am definitely beginning to believe that this beer is 18% abv.

Taste:
Borderline overwhelming sweetness with this beer, but obviously a lot of sugar is required to boost a beer up to 18%. Potent ethanol makes this beer like a liquor with ease. Pungent sugars are upfront and finish. I would have preferred a tart, dry finish, but what did I expect with a beer brewed with over 2000lbs of raspberries.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly strong beer that loses sight of being a beer. I don't mind the strength of the alcohol or sugars, but there is nothing else to bring balance to this beverage. I would have loved this beer to have bitterness (not from hops) to help me conceive this as a beer instead of a darker smirnoff.

Overall:
This is a sipper, high alcohol prevents you from wanting to chug this beer at all. My main complaint with the beer is I would have better enjoyed a mead for the same price, alcohol content and sweetness. However, this is a terrific attempt at an extreme beverage and I applaud them for their effort. I wonder if it was actually worth a year of aging, but I like to pat myself on the shoulder for making it this long....

ThePorterSorter, Jun 13, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

*2008 Vintage*

From notes taken on 6/10/11

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a crystal clear amber with a fizzy one finger head that leaves very little side lacing and a small halo.

S - Malty sweetness and super light raspberries. There are LOTS of ABV on the nose.

T - Its not bad. Tough to gauge this one. There is some raspberry/strawberry notes and they are pretty god. Unfortunately its all muddled/killed by the still very potent ABV.

M - Medium carbonation and slightly syrupy. The ABV is still noticeable.

O - Overall this isnt a bad beer, it just needs more time on it for things to smooth out. Its close though.

rudzud, Jun 12, 2011
1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

atowle25, Jun 05, 2011
3.63/5  rDev -1.4%

A: The beer is cloudy orange in color and poured with a thin layer of off white bubbles that quickly dissipated, leaving only a ring of bubbles on the surface around the edge of the glass.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of raspberries in the nose along with some notes of alcohol.
T: The taste is very similar to the smell and is dominated by flavors of raspberries, although there isn’t that much in the way of sweetness and the taste of alcohol is only really perceptible towards the finish.
M: It feels full-bodied and somewhat syrupy on the palate with a light amount of carbonation. There is a moderate amount of warming from the alcohol, which is most evident in the finish.
O: The beer definitely tastes strong and is something that needs to be sipped very slowly when considering its strength; however enough of the alcohol is masked from the taste so it’s not overly that difficult to drink.

Note: 2008 vintage

metter98, Jun 01, 2011
4.45/5  rDev +20.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Murky orange color poured from the bottle. Beautiful raspberry alcohol smell. Smells like real raspberries though. Tastes like it smells. Tons of raspberry, and no hiding of the ABV in this bad boy. But it works. I think it works because even with the major alcohol taste, theres that much raspberry to balance it out, all while tasting like a beer still. Not overly sweet. Mouthfeel is medium. Nicely carbonated. I'm so bummed that my state no longer gets dogfish head (yet again dogfish head, PLEASE COME BACK TO US!), but this can still be found here and there around the state and it is something I will drive out of my way to find while I can get it.

1Adam12, May 30, 2011
3.1/5  rDev -15.8%

on tap from a 2008 keg

A-thick tan color. thin cream colored head

S-smells like alcohol with a touch of raspberries and some cream.

T-comes in with a strong bite of alcohol and raspberries and cream...but mostly alcohol. ends with a burnt raspberry cream flavor. its a harsh beer with not much smoothness or balalnce.

M-medium heavy carbonation with a dry finish

O-this is just too big of a beer to be enjoyable. its harsh and does not go down easily. it wouldn't be terrible to share though. this isn't something i'll be searching out. you know, for the money, i expect a whole hell of a lot more out of my fruit beer.

AdamBear, May 21, 2011
3.38/5  rDev -8.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Date: 20 May 2011
Glass: La Chouffe tulip snfiter 25cl
Type: 750ml capped, vintage 2009

Poured gently, 2-finger head reduces to light film, rather runny lacing, color is clear amber-orange.

Aroma is hot, like super boozy candy. Candy for adults. Like gummy worms soaked in grain alcohol. I'm not sure if raspberry is very identifiable on the nose, but rather leathery fig and strawberry.

Taste is extremely hot. Boozy fruit candy lacking enough sweetness. This young beer needs some dust. Don't get me wrong -- this is still an enjoyable beer. It is a fruity Dogfish Head 120.

I have been looking forward to drinking this beer, and look forward to drinking some of my vintage '07s several years from now.

ToAzwethinkweizm, May 20, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

750ml bottle served in a snifter.
bottled in 2009.

pours a clear, burnished deep orange tone yielding 3/4" off-white head that quickly dissipates into a thin cap, collar around the glass. not unsurprising given the 18% ABV.

very pungent nose smacks of tart raspberries and alcohol. the strength of the rasberry is good, but on the whole it's fairly one-dimesional.

flavor is... ok, not going to sugarcoat it: IMO what we have here is a syrupy, boozy, cloying raspberry mess that wreaks havoc on the palate. salvaged from the drain by the intense rasberry presence but not my favorite offering from dogfish head. boozy finish.

decent, full bodied mouthfeel with medium-low carbonation.

i had high hopes for this number but in the end it's only slightly more enjoyable than a wine cooler on steroids.

perrymarcus, May 01, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

petacutlasaurus, Apr 28, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

I have had this fresh on tap at the brewery, a bottle about 6 month old, and most recently a bottle that was a little over a year old. I can definitely attest to this beer getting better with age.

I shared this bottle at the first Central Ohio beer tasting. Love the label. 12/2009 bottling.

The beer is a mild amber color, mostly clear. Not much head but we weren't in a rush to take a full pour of a beer so strong.

The smell has really opened up on this with some age. Some were complaining of the booziness, but for a beer of 18% you've got to expect that, no matter how well hidden it is. Still, I felt that the alcohol had mellowed nicely in one short year, I can see why some hold onto this for 5+ years.

Lots of raspberry and blackberry notes can be found in the aroma. The fruit is sweet and ripe, with a moderate sting of alcohol on the finish.

The taste is certainly hot, but tart raspberries distract the palate from the alcohol well. Sweet with a nice warming deep in the throat.

Ultimately this beer is very hot no matter how you slice it. I went into this bottle expecting exactly that, and wasn't disappointed with the beer. If you go into it thinking that 18% abv will somehow be masked completely you're not going to like this. Despite the alcohol, this is most definitely not undrinkable. A fine sipper that I wish we had more time to appreciate at our tasting. Not a beer to rush through.

Spider889, Apr 18, 2011
2.9/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: It poured a very cloudy amber with a pink hue. Beautiful looking glass of beer. There was pretty much no head at all and the little it had dissipated fast.

S: Lots going on in my nose. Tons of fruity aromas. Seemed to have a tart smell, kind of weird feeling in my nostrils.

T: WOW. So boozy, and definitely all raspberries. Very sweet, a little too much for me. And by little... I mean a lot.

MF: The strong flavor tingles in your mouth. Almost feels like a raspberry fizzy candy. I don't think it drinks well at all, solely based on how much booze the flavor has.

O: I'd say it was worth trying and was great with a good meal but I'm a little disappointed in how much I had to spend to try it. Definitely not getting it again unless I hold a beer tasting with my friends.

HoppyHachey, Apr 17, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Vintage 06

A: Deep orange-bronze. No head, no lacing. I guess with a beer clocking in at 18%, that can be expected.

S: Huge raspberry blast. It's like putting your nose into a jar of jam, with booze mixed in.

T: Raspberry flavor is unreal, not all that natural tasting. The fruit is there with sugar, but not in the cloying sense. The booziness to it probably died down, but still fairly strong.

M: Medium body, for such a big beer. A touch syrupy at time, minimal alcohol burn, considering the ABV.

O/D: Certainly an interesting beer. It's a fruit beer, almost drinks like a cocktail. Not something I'd try again, but it was so unique, I'm glad I had it. Can't really recommend it, unless you want big time fruity sweetness.

mostpoetsdo, Apr 16, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

I wanted to get my hands on this beer for a very long time. When I finally found it I bought a few bottles and had some at the brewpub. I love the intensity that this beer has. It's super string and very flavorful. The beer tingled your tongue and sweet and tart raspberry goodness. The alcohol leaves a mellow burning in the after taste. The color is a pretty reddish pink. It's got a pretty heavy feel to it as well with not much head. I enjoy this beer on it's own just sipping it over the course an hour or so. Very strong, it'll knock your socks off.

Knapp85, Apr 01, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +5.4%

Updated review to average in the '07 batch I'm drinking now, along with the previous reviewed batch.

750 mL, '09 batch.

Reddish tan and just a touch hazy but mostly clear*. Many fine bubbles rise all along the sides of my duvel tulip glass. It didn't produce much head but there's some clumpy lacing. Overall quite nice to look at, very inviting.

The smell is a little subdued. Primarily alcoholic and raspberry notes dominate. There's some other fruits mixed in there, along with some spiciness and a little bit of a Belgian ale aroma.

Taste is very, very nice. The raspberries are strong, but not overpoweringly so. The ale base comes through letting you know this is a beer and not a cordial. It's definitely sweet but not so much that it loses its beery qualities.**

Feel is medium bodied, surprisingly, I expected it to be very thick. Clean and smooth, despite the high abv, which isn't at all overpowering, although it is noticeable. Aftertaste is of sweet raspberries and lingers beautifully.

Overall this beer is quite an experience to be sure. Very much a credit to the brewery, DFH once again leads the way in innovation.

I poured a little bit into my chicken marinade as well, should make a lovely flavor addition!

*'07 batch was much cloudier, almost brown in appearance, with more sediment and had less head and lacing, but still had nice rising bubbles.

**the '07 batch seemed a little mellower and easy to drink, also just a little more malty than the first go-round. Essentially they were not very much different tho, both were great, but the appearance of the newer batch was definitely superior

AlCaponeJunior, Mar 26, 2011