Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

A: Pours red with almost no head

S: Lots of raspberries, cherries, and assorted berries, along with a rum raisin sort of booziness.

T: Raspberries, a sherry sort of booziness, general fruity flavors. Very nice, like a really strong lambic.

O: This is quite nice. I have to mention that this is a 2008 bottle, so with 3 years on it it's probably much less boozy than when it was fresh. Still, I like it quite a bit.

Out of a bottle I picked up for $3.99 (!) this beer was a murky brown color with one finger of sandalwood colored head. The retention was stubborn and impressive as a fine layer that left lacing all down my glass in a thin curtain. The aroma was boozy with plenty of raspberries, sweet malt, brown sugar and hints of both molasses and bourbon. The flavors were also punchy and suggestive of being worth aging. I tasted the punch first of alcohol heat and raspberries followed by grains, sweet malt and pilsner malt. A big, big beer. The mouthfeel was smooth and frothy, the body medium and the carbonation light. A good beer but dominated by the alcohol and one that I think needs to age to be appreciated. Still, for the price I paid, I’m gonna go back and grab another and put it down for a few years…

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

We crack the top on this 2008 vintage and glug out a liquid the light caramel color of apple cider. The head is a tan color, and only appeared when poured roughly. What is seen are little clumps of bubbles here and there, with no lacing throughout the tasting. The beer holds an impenetrable haze, but no sediment is noted, save for the last few drops of the bottle, which hold a granular, sandy yeast. This is deposited all around the glass, noted only when the glass begins to empty. The carbonation appears low, and the bubbles rise slowly through the murkiness. The nose presents dominantly, with fusel alcohols at the front. These mix with big plastic phenols and an acetone reminiscent of nail polish remover. There are equally as bright acetaldehydes, giving a green apple flare to it. The raspberry is significant, but the presence of the booze, and the robustness of the chocolate and caramel malts contribute to drowning it out. The taste begins with tart raspberry and a fine acidity. Once the tartness clears, the puckered mouth fights with sugary sweet caramel malts, and an aspect of brown sugar. The middle peaks of fruitiness, with strong and sweet raspberries, and a malty bready quality. There is also a buttery, not quite diacetyl, bite to the top of the swallow. The end is of darker malts, and the burning sting of alcohol. The aftertaste breathes of enormous fusel alcohols, of a cheap vodka quality, and plastic phenols. Here the booze finally cuts the sweetness all the way down. The body is medium and the carbonation is lighter. Each sip is thick and syrupy, producing a clean coating and drying with each drop. Due to the ever present alcohol, there is a massive warming effect felt by the drinker. The abv is nearly unparalleled, and the beer drinks at a snail’s pace.

Overall, what we enjoyed best about this brew was the fact that the fruit seemed so genuine. With the big booze profile these flavors mixed and it produced flavoring comparable to a port wine, while the appearance and smells screamed that it was a cider. Where we lost points, however, was in the over the top booze. After a few sips the worries about this slip away, but it makes the beer less approachable, and harder to get into in the first place.

3.3/5  rDev -10.3%

Some bottles need warning labels...this is one of them. I bought this because I've been really enjoying all the crazy shit that DFH produces. They push the envelope: some good, some not so good. This offering was previously unknown to me, and I was completely unaware of the ABV. Cracked the bottle and liked the look and smell. Yeah, it's boozy smelling but I had no idea what was going to jump out and bite me in the ass. It mellows as it warms, but the bite and burn are still very prominent. The raspberries and sweetness are there, but you have to make a conscious effort to think about them. Otherwise, the only thing there is ALCOHOL. I'm about 10 sips in, and the drunken fog begins.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours out a murky brown clay color. No head and no lacing at all.

S - Semi sweet and mostly tart raspberries. Some vinegar makes it way through along with some caramel and tons of booze. Smells wonderful.

T - Tart, sour and surprisingly pretty sweet through the middle. Sour raspberries are what this beer is mainly about. Plus tons of booze. I rate this as an experimental brew.

M - Thick and syrup like with almost absent carbonation. Guess it works out alright.

O - I could see myself going after this one again. Though I didn't rate it high I think it would be a good conversation piece with guest or at a party. Not complex by any means but damn tasty.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into snifter. 2010 batch.

Pours a murky gold/amber with some reddish highlights, short head dissipates fairly quickly to average lace.

On the nose is big fruit: raspberry, peach, fig dominate with a hint of malts and caramel, maybe some honey. Pretty complex but rather marred by a streak of aggressive alcohol.

On the palate the raspberry is very noticeable and well balanced with the malts and mild hops. There is a bit of spice, honey, and raspberry jam with a slight dusting of cocoa.

Pretty full bodied but the alcohol definitely comes through. Acidity is low, as is bitterness. Medium to long finish.

This reminds me more of a cordial than a beer. The alcohol is high, and is noticeable, but it still doesn't come off as 18%. If you are familiar with raspberry dessert wine (like Bonny Doon Framboise) then you kind of know what to expect here.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottled dated 7/5/2007--poured into Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: minimal head,amber in color, clear, low carbonation

Smell: rubbing alcohol and light fruit--unappealing

Taste: an alcoholic raspberry cordial, oak, light raspberry, alcohol, some chocolate

Mouthfeel: low carbonation, heavy bodied, sweet with some alcohol burn

Overall: Glad I got to try this one, but not sure if I would do it again for the price. It is a sipper and the taste is a lot better than the smell. This one does get better as it warms. Not one to turn down, but not one to buy again. I would be curious to try other vintages.

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Bottle poured into a large snifter. This was bottled way back in July 2007. I didn't realize it was quite this strong when I opened it... hopefully I'll be able to finish.

Smell is an intensely sweet mix of raspberries and honey. Taste is extremely sweet as well, but very intense as you would expect with something this strong. The raspberries are prevalent and definitely the dominant flavor here. The best comparison would be a very sweet and bubbly raspberry dessert wine. An unpleasant comparison is a fruity cough syrup. Overall, I think this is good and interesting but would've been easier to enjoy if it hadn't been quite this strong.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. This was a bottle from 2005.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with very little to no head.

Smell: Reminded me of raspberry ketchup. A bit metallic and really sweet.

Taste: Much better than the taste. Super sweet, but that is expected. The age has really helped the alcohol fade. Natural raspberries with a hint of tartness at the beginning of each sip. The finish is quite sweet.

Mouthfeel: Thick body with tingly carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: I thought this aged fairly well. I don't know if the smell is better fresh, I guess I'll have to find out. Quite smooth.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

2007 bottle, enjoyed in 2011.

A – Beautiful color; raspberry ice tea and black cherries. The head has a solid consistency with trace pink highlights. Ok retention, but poor lace.

S – An interesting contrast between light aromas of sweet apricot, wood, and booze, and darker notes of medium grade honey and prune.

T – Sharp booze into a crisp oak, plum and brown sugar. Medicinal middle. The darker fruits fade into a distinct raspberry and molasses backend.

M – Aggressive alcohol on a medium body. Ok carbonation. Incredibly long, sweet, oaky finish.

O – At 18% I'm definitely looking for some booze in the profile, but I wasn't a huge fan of the way it played out in this beer. The alcohol felt detached from the rest of the profile; more of a distraction than an asset. I was surprised that 4 years of aging didn’t do more to mellow out and integrate the profile.

1.93/5  rDev -47.6%

750 ml bottle into wine glass, bottled in 2008. Pours extremely hazy red orange color with a foamy 1 finger off white head with poor retention that reduces to almost nothing. Aromas of strong raspberries, booze, and some tartness and big sweetness. The nose isn’t particularly inviting, but is alright. Taste of huge booze up front with some raspberries, malty sweetness, and some spiciness. Lingering notes of sweetness and booze on the finish. Big alcohol in the taste and a huge warming on the finish. This is pretty much undrinkable, way too much alcohol presence. Big syrupy mouthfeel with light-medium carbonation. This was just not good at all, my first drain pour. I could not see myself finishing this bottle.

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Enjoyed this 22oz bomber out of a large snifter glass.

A: Orangish-amber ale with blonde highlights and a thick white 1-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Holy Raspberries! Strong raspberries are dominant, superior, and overwhelming. Every sniff is as potent as the last. Wow.

T: Just like the smell raspberries kick my butt. Strong alcohol overtones followed by more raspberries dominant throughout this beer. Every sip is strong and powerful.

M: Very strong and boozy. Medium body and carbonation

O: I love these dogfish head beers. They push the envelope of what is normal and expected and make you rethink what have I been drinking all these years. That being said – this is sort of a one-time beer for me. It was a great beer after a big meal – a sort of dessert beer – but I probably wouldn’t buy this again unless I was going to a dinner party or something and needed to bring a gift.

1.8/5  rDev -51.1%

I had pretty high hopes when I picked up a bottle of this because I have a big appreciation for bold flavors and for beers that try to tame in high ABVs. Not to mention, I've mostly had great experiences with DFH. I'm sorry to say it was a major disappointment and the first drainpour I've ever done with a beer from a well-respected brewery of the likes of DFH, and one of the very few I've ever done.

Smells and tastes like someone melted pounds of raspberry and blackberry candy into a vat of vodka. It's as though they tried to at least hide the alcohol by going over the top in sweetness but instead you get double punched by both over the top sweetness and over the top heat. I'm someone who can really enjoy a sweet beer and loves, for example, dessert stouts, but this is the type of sweetness you'd expect from a smirnoff ice special release, not a DFH special release. I honestly thought of mixing this beer with water to make it bearable so I wouldn't have to drainpour it. I don't know what to say, pure sweetness and pure alcohol that do nothing to mitigate one another and fight in your mouth in the most unpleasant battle ever. The only reason I don't give this an F is because I'm open to the possibility that there must be some niche out there that loves both syrup and vodka and would find some comfort in this beer. For anyone who enjoys well-managed flavors and complexity, this beer is an easy avoid.

3.43/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottled in 2009. Poured from a bomber into a DFH snifter.

A - Red/Orange color. A bit hazy. Almost no head whatsoever.

S - Intense raspberry notes. The alcohol definitely comes through. Almost no hop aroma probably because the bottle is two years old.

T - Much like the nose there are intense raspberry flavors and you can definitely taste the alcohol. Some tartness from the raspberry. Relatively no hop flavor at all.

M - Medium bodied. I am left with a tangy tartness in my mouth long after drinking.

Overall if you have never had this beer you should try it at least once to say you did. Dogfish Head pushed the envelope with this one. If you can find a vintage bottle buy it. It is worth the money.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served from a bottle into my DFH goblet.

Appears a cloudy orange brown with a thin rim of head remaining.

Smells very boozy with a tart citric nip to the nose.

Taste is boozy up front and finishes out with a subtle bitter to sweet raspberry burst. Alcohol definitely cones through.

Mouthfeel is complex with a variety of bitterness and subtle sweetness to it. Again, high abv is not lost... It's a sipper.

Overall an interesting beer experience. I'm partial to a Lindeman's framboise but I'm prone to a sweet tooth when not drinking hop bombers.

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

1 pint 9.6 fl. oz. in a pint glass.

A - Cloudy orange color, very hazy.

S - Very strong raspberry smell. Overpowers everything else.

T - Very strong raspberry flavor and very sweet. Very strong alcohol flavor. The bottle was dated 2009 so it is 2 years old and probably around 17% ABV.

M - Very full bodied but also very sweet.

D - I couldn't drink it. It was way too sweet for me. My wife loved it but i couldn't drink it.

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

A- pours a murky dull orange, thin head. Decent head retention, no lacing.

S- smells like a sour/tart.

T- slighty sour. Fruity, would say raspberry because I know better hah. Boozy N' wild, don't bother this guy none.

M- medium mouthfeel, spot of carbonation I feel.

D/O- split between a few people for the girlfriends bday, we all enjoyed. Liked more than my score would indicate. Another experimental success in my book from DFH. Thanks MammothBrew!

2.15/5  rDev -41.6%

Bottle date was 7/9/07, almost 4 years old. This is the beer I blame for my terrible hangover the next day.

Pours hazy reddish orange, I imagined it being more pink. Surprising off-white head retains well and leaves some lace.

Ugh. What a scent...honey mustard, mustard seed, oxidation, and light berries. Just...pretty damn bad.

Not quite as bad as the smell, but close. Mustard, raspberries, vodka, caramel. Mouthfeel is well-carbonated and I wouldn't call it super boozy, but between all the alcohol and weird flavors I can't even say this is really close to enjoyable.

I had this fresh on-tap once and that was better. Not sure if age is to blame here but this was one wacky, off-putting beer that gave me bad flashbacks the next day.

3.93/5  rDev +6.8%

ppearance:

Today I am going with a new glass that I picked up while I was on vacation last week in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. This elegant beauty is from Stone and was designed for their “Vertical Epic” series which is going to be a true test of time. As I popped the large bottle open there was just a faint hiss coming from the neck, nothing really earth shattering. On the pour I wasn’t sure how to tackle this one so I went straight on and noticed that it began to foam quite hard, I backed off and the head seemed to dissipate instantly. When I was done there was no head to mention of and no bubbles floating around anywhere. As I hold my glass up to the light it appears as a really rusty and murky brown color that resembles pond water. There is a lot of pectin haze going on here, probably from the fruit. It leaves me with a opaque liquid that isn’t chunky from yeast, just hazy. On the viscosity check I gave a nice healthy swirl around my glass and noticed there was a fair amount of legs, but not what you might think in terms of this high ABV.

Smell:

This not-so-pretty ale delivers a huge knuckle sandwich of raspberries and deep burnt sugar aromas up front. Lots of heat alcohol on the nose even after being cellared for almost three years, with sharp vapors that tingle your nose hairs. Vaguely I am pulling out some raisin and toffee undertones as the chalice warms up, with a touch of cinnamon. In the finish more berry like flavors that range from blueberries to cherries.

Taste:

As in the initial waft from the nose, the raspberries take front and center stage here. Gobs of sticky sweetness and berries that are just running amok in my mouth and I love it! Carmel and toffee certainly are right around the corner and balance all the fruit out nicely. As you take the initial swallow the heat alcohol grabs your throat and doesn’t want to let go, it is hot and fumy, but in a strange way it makes all these flavors mesh perfectly. This has a long lingering raspberry finish that is lip smacking delicious and after awhile you don’t even notice the 18% ABV. This beer is smooth sailing all the way to the end of the glass.

Drinkability:

Ahhh what can I say, you all know I love Dogfish Head so maybe I am biased. But this is probably one of my favorite examples of a well made fruit beer. Let it be said that if you open a bottle of this, it is going to be a long evening. So maybe you might want to grab a few friends for this one. The drinkability is low in the fact that the ABV is so high but on the scale of flavor and complexity I’d rate it pretty high. If you see this seasonal from these guys, grab a bottle or ten and put some away for later to see how they develop. Fort should be pretty accessible to most states and reasonably priced so I give it a big thumbs up in value

2.23/5  rDev -39.4%

2008 bottle.

Appears murky brownish red. It looks like carbonated red muddy swamp water. It also look s like a blood infused iced coffee drink. There is no real head to this beer.

It smells of brown sugar, rust, sweet malt and sweet raspberries. It does not have a complex raspberry smell like many other raspberry beers do.

It tastes of sweet malts. I get a bit of a brown sugar flavor. There is a raspberry flavor that is muddled in with a strong alcohol flavor. The finish of this beer is pretty nasty. It finishes with a strong rusty flavor.

it has a thick mouthfeel.

I feel like I have rusty nails in my mouth this rusty taste just will not go away. Drinking this makes my stomach turn. An interesting concept though the result is pretty poor. I can taste some berry flavor but the alcohol taste and the rustiness makes this beer not appealing.

My dad kind of likes it but he is kind of an alcoholic anyhow!

2.6/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

July 09, 2007 bottle shared by Chico1985 as one of the last beers of the Ultimate Tasting of Doom 2011: Line-Up = Fullers 1845, Nemesis 2010, Lindemans Faro, Stone RIS 2008, Samuel Smiths Strawberry Ale, BCBCS, Fantome BBB, Saison Dupont, Cisco Winter Woods, DFH Squal, HF Anna, Delerium Tremens, La Choulette Framboise, Drie Fonteinen Schaarbeekse Kriek, Bruery RugBrod and Panil Bariquee Sour.

A- Pours out amber with a small off-white head. Not much retention but a good foamy ring. Spotty lace around the glass.

S- All of the tasters get honey mustard notes. I also get some raspberry, oxidation, honey and old caramel. Medicinal.

T- Oxidation on top of huge alcoholic raspberries. Of course there is also honey mustard, caramel, medicinal syrup and lots of other random fruit hints. Vinegar.

MF- Creamy feel with intensely hot hotness. Finishes just a bit bitter and syrupy.

"Ages with the best of them," I really can't agree with that. It tastes decent at almost 4 years old but the plethora of ridiculous flavors is puzzling.

3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

I cellared this beer for approximately one year under the adequate and relatively constant temperatures of my subterranean layer. Excited for the beer just at the summer breaking point when the days are almost beginning to get shorter and hotter.

Appearance:
The beer pours a very rich amber color with almost no head. Towards the end of the bottle there is noticeable white, floating sediment, but most of it stayed suspended. Speckled with white freckles.

Smell:
Potent ethanol with a tart berry sweetness. The berry aroma is specific to a tart berry of the woods, mostly raspberries. Candy sugars and no bitterness or spice. This beer smells strong for a fruit beer, I am definitely beginning to believe that this beer is 18% abv.

Taste:
Borderline overwhelming sweetness with this beer, but obviously a lot of sugar is required to boost a beer up to 18%. Potent ethanol makes this beer like a liquor with ease. Pungent sugars are upfront and finish. I would have preferred a tart, dry finish, but what did I expect with a beer brewed with over 2000lbs of raspberries.

Mouthfeel:
Incredibly strong beer that loses sight of being a beer. I don't mind the strength of the alcohol or sugars, but there is nothing else to bring balance to this beverage. I would have loved this beer to have bitterness (not from hops) to help me conceive this as a beer instead of a darker smirnoff.

Overall:
This is a sipper, high alcohol prevents you from wanting to chug this beer at all. My main complaint with the beer is I would have better enjoyed a mead for the same price, alcohol content and sweetness. However, this is a terrific attempt at an extreme beverage and I applaud them for their effort. I wonder if it was actually worth a year of aging, but I like to pat myself on the shoulder for making it this long....

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

*2008 Vintage*

From notes taken on 6/10/11

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a crystal clear amber with a fizzy one finger head that leaves very little side lacing and a small halo.

S - Malty sweetness and super light raspberries. There are LOTS of ABV on the nose.

T - Its not bad. Tough to gauge this one. There is some raspberry/strawberry notes and they are pretty god. Unfortunately its all muddled/killed by the still very potent ABV.

M - Medium carbonation and slightly syrupy. The ABV is still noticeable.

O - Overall this isnt a bad beer, it just needs more time on it for things to smooth out. Its close though.

1.63/5  rDev -55.7%

2009 bottle - pours a cloudy orangeish color, a little bit of head, which disappears quickly. Smells really astringent, just like rubbing alcohol. Not a pleasant smell at all. Can smell a little bit of raspberries but they are completely overhwelmed by the alcohol. Taste is just like the smell...the raspberries are not even very pleasant. It tastes like a mix of raspberry soda and moonshine. Just awful. I took a few mouthfulls and then drainpoured the rest. Just a mess of a beer, I highly doubt that more aging would improve this beer much.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery