Follow our progress ...

ABV varies from 15-18%.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

Reviews: 550 | Ratings: 1,240
4.22/5  rDev +14.7%

This pours a nice amber-red and brilliantly clear, it has a slight head and good carbonation. The aroma is simply sensational. I inhale a great big hit of bitter raspberries, My mouth is starting to water, really.
The taste is clean and dry. No doubt you are drinking a fruit beer here as the raspberries are definitely present, but don't get the wrong impression... this is no sissy fruit beer. The berries are crisp and bitter and there is very little sweetness here at all, some beautiful tartness. There is alcohol present, but it's so well complimented that you really don't know how much until you go looking for a listing (18% whoa!).
A nice light body, something I think suits this beer as opposed to a syrupy fruit beer.
What a treat. I can't wait to lay some of this down for a while and see what it's like around next Thanksgiving.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been awhile since I've reviewed but here goes. This beer was cellared two years ago, so it should be an interesting review.

Appearance: Not a huge head, but good carbonation. Hard to care what the appearance is for an atypical, a-style beer like this so who really cares?

Smell: Robust raspberry aroma mixed with mild alcoholic bite.

Taste: Alcohol more pronounced in the flavor than smell. Not surprising since it's 18% abv! A little on the hot side but the raspberries really help to balance. Little bit of a bite on the finish but not intolerable.

Mouthfeel: Unlike many raspberry beers not remotely cloying. Might be due to the alcohol cutting through sweetness/stickiness. Actually quite excellent.

Drinkability: I love this beer! It's sip-able, but also quite tasty and reminds me of a nice mix between cognac and beer.

Really what do you expect when you pour an 18% ABV? It has a bit of an alcohol bite but this shouldn't be a surprise and is ultimately the reason one buys a big beer, no?

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

SO, i'm reviewing this beer with the intent of reviewing a BEER not a port, liquor, etc.

Dogfish is my fav brewery, but i do find their "out there" beers are more of an interest than actual enjoyable drinking beverages.

Poured a hazy shade of red with a thick foamy head. SMell, literally, i slike young port. Very nice, wonderfull. Fruity, winy and sweet.

Taste..ouch...Dense, thick, sweet syrupy alcohol, very winey and "porty." Had it with 6 beer lovers and noone could finish a small glass.

Overall, interesting, but if I want port, i'd buy port...I dont know how this beer fits into a beer drinkers world, i find it a bit unpleasant to be honest. I'm usually not so harsh, but to me this is just one of those beers where it was made because it was a challenge, not because it tastes good. The first dogfish i didn't like.

4.3/5  rDev +16.8%

Pours with the color of white zinfadel with a full white head. Lots of sticky lacing. The aroma is full of raspberries with some vanilla and a little oak. The vanilla is there in the taste too, backing up all of the raspberries. Also noticing a slight spiciness and maybe some candi sugar too? Champagne-like mouthfeel. Very drinkable. As my wife and I aren't too excited by champange, a couple of these will be stuck back for special occasions. This would be great with a chocolate dessert or maybe some fruit.

4.54/5  rDev +23.4%

i was pleasantly supprised by this beer. not that i though it wouldn't be good, but i suggest taking your first sip while sitting down. The first sip or two is a bit strong but with the abv that is to be expected. Very distinct orange color, with a raspberry aroma you could probably smell from a mile away. Although the taste of raspberry is very strong i thought it was neither over-powering nor over-whelming. Becafeful-for those not prepared a glass or two of this will surely have you buzzzing

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Gorgeous, I can hardly wait to drink this beer it looks so good (I write that after having drank it). Beautiful light read with perfectly accompanied head. A bit of lacing but not much.
Smells of strong berried fruits. Not specifically raspberry, but berry scent.
Cherry NightQuil. Very strong alcohol. Strong bitterness at first out of the frige. Bitterness faded and sweetness came out as it warmed up.
Remarkably smooth and fizzy at the same time. Not bad mouth feel at all.
I had two 6-8 oz glasses. I did not want any more and I'm glad because I didn't realize how much alcohol was in it.

Notes: The flavor is too much, not worth the price.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

Wow...this fruit beer is simply gnarly! Had this at the Dogfish Head brewmaster dinner at Bobbique. Poured into a red wine glass, it was blush colored and had a small but fine white head. Large and fumey aromas of berry alcohol. The beer is brewed with tons of raspberries but I also noted the characteristics of strawberries in there as well. Taste was extremely smooth with a tight raspberry/strawberry flavor dominating the palate with a notable hop presence too. I learned from brewery reps that the ABV is actually more often closer to 24% than 18! A very tasty brew that will knock you on your ass if you don't watch yourself. Open this bottle with friends or else!

3.47/5  rDev -5.7%

I decided to pull this one out for christmas night for a nightcap with me and the lady... Bottled in 2006, so she has a few years on her

Poured a nice copperish mahogany. Deffinatly a reddish tint to it. It poured little to NO head that disappeared very quickly. It had decent lacing too.

I thought it had a boozy wine scent to it. Strong raspberry scents poking through as well. Sweet smells.

Taste was strong raspberries right up front. Followed by very strong boooze taste. Warms the tummy though. I don't think they did a good job masking the 18%. Little too much for me. I think it was overwhelming.

This was a decent brew from DFH, but not nearly my favorite. And its deffinatly not worth the 18$ price tag either

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Pours a cloudy amber red with no head and not much lace. Smells boozy upfront with sweet fruit. Tastes boozy right from the get go, this beer is huge with big fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is thick and slick and coats the mouth. Drinkability is obviously limited by the hug abv. I poured a glass for my roommate and still got a serious buzz. Bottom line: Tasty brew but way over the top. Make sure to split this big bottle with a friend.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured from 750 mL bottle and shared with friends.

A-Clear amber, with hint of pink, ...well carbonated with one-finger head,

S-Raspberries and alcohol.

T- Rather sweet raspberry syrup with strong alcohol presence all the way through. The alcohol takes over and hangs on for a long finish.

M-Medium bodied; carbonation gradually dies down, alcohol heat with syrupy feel.

O-Bold and aggressive concept. Too heavy on the alcohol when my mind is thinking raspberry. Definitely a sipper.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Purchased in Richmond Va at Carytown W&B. Poured with a slight head that disappears quickly. The smell of raspberries and alcohol come immediately from the glass.

The first sip I think this is some sort of raspberry champagne. Then the hops come out slightly and then as you breath the alcohol comes out. Nice warm feeling on the tounge, doesnt overpower the flavors though. Excellent ballance of the 3. The berry flavor seems to stay in the cheeks.

The only down for me was the body was pretty good but seemed a little heavier than I would have expected. Im not sure how much sugar was used but maybe a little less, even if it lowered the alcohol, would have been nice.

This is overall the best beer to introduce someone unlearned in the quality beer world, or even beer for that matter. It would absolutely hook anyone, including me, who didnt mind a little cha-ching for an excellent beer. Got one more Im holding on to with a Pangea for special occasions.

4.11/5  rDev +11.7%

Gave up after 4 months of cellaring and popped open the 750, served it a bit cooler than usual since I knew the two of us working this would be at it for over an hour with an AbV like this!

Poured into my tulip, a surprising orange colour. Not as red as raspberries made me think, but dark and orange. No head to talk about, but a very clear serum.

Smell is booze! After the first wave hits you, it's raspberries and perfume. Flowery and warm with a surprising characteristic I wasn't expecting - beer! From the description alone, I figured this would be a fizzy bottle of schnapps, but no, the malt is full and expressed, like a very very fine belgian. The yeast even makes a brief appearance in the nose. Fruity, yes, but meaty, too!

The taste is well, boozey. Vodka-boozey. Tart, sweet, hot. The raspberries become more floral if anything, the malt fades back, perhaps becomes more wheatey. Undertones of chalk, chocolate, and perhaps a single, solitary hop or pine needle.

Mouthfeel is only syrupy at times - I think the incredibly sweetness makes you want to describe it as thicker than it really is. Not much carbonation, sadly, but you'll get all the tingles you could want from the burning sensation! As drinkable as you'd expect, and the way the taste changs with the temperature keeps things interesting.

One to try, since I couldn't hope to accurately describe it. Worth the near-twenty dollars, and a good time even if you don't like it. Maybe we should change the term from 'hammered' to 'raspberried'.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a golden haze. I only poured about 3 ounces at a time, because it's so alcoholic. A slight head which dissipates quickly. Prominent lacing. Smell is overwhelmingly raspberries, and the alcohol is definitely noticeable. The taste is raspberries, alcohol, and sweetness. It has a vague Belgium-esque flavor to it, but the dominant tastes are raspberries. When it gets warm, it begins to taste a little like brandy. The mouthfeel is syrupy, and the texture too, is brandy like. Definitely a sipper, and probably perfect on a cold winter day.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

Poured into a tulip glass. Nowhere on the label does it mention its 18% ABV, or indeed and ABV at all. This is bound to be an adventure.

A: Quite hazy with a color I can best describe as "grapefruit-like." Some bubbles on the pour, but almost no head to speak of.

S: A very bright tartness on the nose, with an underlying alcoholic heat. I can tell this is going to be a sipper, as I was getting slightly dizzy just smelling the damn beer.

T: Very intense sweet and sour effect initially. The alcohol is certainly noticeable, but really makes itself known in the finish. Very warming all the way down. Altogether, a taste that is both soft and cutting at the same time. Decent raspberry flavor.

M: Weighty feel, although the bright fruit character masks this somewhat. Lower end of the carbonation scale, but still enough present to keep this from getting boring. High alcohol makes for a pretty dry finish.

D: Easy there, Trigger! Take it slow and share with a friend or two. Don't make the same mistake I did (i.e. trying to finish the bottle alone!).

An interesting concept from Dogfish Head. Great tastes going on, but the high alcohol content is bound to get in the way. Sip and savor, and you'll be just fine. A fantastic beer, though a bit too pricey for my wallet ($17.99 + tax), and I doubt I'll be purchasing this again in the near future. Still, a wonderful experience!

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from 1pt bottle into chalice

Appearance-Pours a deep amber-red, with a quickly dissipating tan head; the raspberries are clearly apparent in the coloration.

Smell-Raspberries, raspberries and more raspberries; when they say this beer is brewed with a 'ton of raspberries' they aren't kidding.

Taste-Tart raspberries 'obviously' followed by strong alcohol warmth and some malts. A moderate bittering hoppiness towards the finish prevents the brew from becoming overly sweet and rounds everything out nicely.

Mouthfeel-Thick and syrupy, it's hard to drink more than a sip every few minutes but given the ABV that's to be expected.

Drinkability-This is a sipper, but it's a damn good sipper, largely because I absolutely love raspberries. It took me a few hours of sipping to polish off a bottle and it left me quite satisfied.

Notes-If you love raspberries like I do then this is a good beer to sip either by itself or over a fruit-based desert of some kind, or perhaps some dark chocolate.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

When I first poured this... What the hell? The color seems quite thin and transparent. There were a lot of head and carbonation fizzing up. It reminded me a bit of Duvel, but with a bit more carbonation.

Smell - I definitely can smell the raspberries coming out of this bottle, and it was alright.

Taste - I personally thought the taste was peculiar for something that I usually love: raspberries. The raspberry flavor is there, which I like, but I felt that something else was screwing it up.

Mouthfeel - It's too thin and over-carbonated for my taste. It's too bubbly in my mouth. It felt a bit like a cheap sparkling juice a recovering alcoholic might drink at a New Year's Eve party.

Drinkability - I guess a lot of people would like this, but it's not very drinkable for me because mainly of the carbonation. I tried hard to try liking it, but couldn't. It's, by far, my least favorite Dogfish Head beer.

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%

Big thanks to wchesak for this one.

Appearance is a burgundy brown, with a slight bit of head but not a lot.

The smell is almost ripe rasberries, just leaving tart and entering sweet.

the flavour is great. Not at all what i was expecting. Nothing like other rasberry beers where it tastes like melted sherbet. This is fir sure a strong ale made with fruit. I nice malt backbone supporting the rasberry flovour through out the whole taste.

Paired with a rasberry dark chocolate is amazing.

might need to get another bottle and age this one.

4.62/5  rDev +25.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Golden brown. Barely any head. Bubbles around the edge.

S-Sweet Unripened raspberries. Smells really nice.

T-Great raspberry flavor, of course the alcohol comes through, dry tart finish.

M-Medium body. Kind of like a raspberry liqueur but not too syrupy. Great carbonation

D-Slow easy drinker.

4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

Bought and reviewed on my 23 birthday.

Gently fizziling half finger light tan, off white heads quickly dissipates to almost nothing but maintains thin ring of bubbles. No lacing but clings to the walls some. Reddish cherry amber in color.

Sweet eminating effervescent rasberry fruitness slightly stings the nose. Smells awesome but somewhat alcoholic which is no suprise. I dont smell any hops and rasberry overwhelms in a good way.

Moderatly thick, lingering sticky mouthfeel that is not too syrupy. Just enough carbonation.

Not much into fruit beers but this is hands down the best ive ever had. A little bit expensive price tag, but it was a special occasion- and I think it was very worth it. This beer was quite an experience. Hope to pick this up again sometime. Very different from anything Ive ever had. Dogfish Head has never dissapointed (at least for me!)

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

750 mL bottle (date 2011/10) shared amongst friends and paired with dark Lindt chocolate.

A: nice clear amber with red hues. Thin white head dissipates quickly. Not really any lacing.

S: definite raspberry, honey, and fruity alcohol in the nose.

T: strong raspberries up front, syrupy, some hints of bourbon, fairly strong on the alcohol.

M: dry, crisp. fairly hash alcohol heat but this is expected given the DFH toxic waste parity symbol on the bottle cap.

O: a good beer for sure, very different. It is strong and very fruity. It does pair well with chocolate and I would recommend tasting it with that on hand. As I've grown to expect with DFH this is a very out there ale and I definitely appreciate it. Am aging two bottles as well.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

Poured to an oversized wine glass. 2011 vintage.
Pours on the redish side of orange, a vigorous pour pulled a one finger head that was gone in a hurry. Nice spotty lacing.
nose is big and boozy, I get burnt sugar raspberries and tropical fruit. Big alcohol burn dominates the nose.
The raspberries is up front in the taste but is still overshadowed by the high alcohol, aside from that I get burnt sugar and toffee reminiscent of a barleywine.
Mouthfeel is super sticky, big body, and medium-low carbonation.
This is my third time trying this beer. The first time was in my second month of craft beer and I thought it had gone bad and poured it down the drain, the second time it was four years old and fucking delicious, this time it was fresh and I have to say this is a beer that needs aging to meet its full potential. At 4 years I'd give it a 4.7.

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Sampling as I write this in a 4 oz. Intuition ale works tumbler from the bottle.

I'll keep the review simple. It's raspberry 120. Do you like Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA? It's a raspberry version of that.

A: Pours a nice golden amber with a slight 1/2" head that dissipates fast. Leaves minimal lacing with a slight halo of cat spit around the rim. Carbonation is minimal.

S: Smells of raspberries and warming alcohol.

T: Overwhelming rum notes similar to DFH 120. Very sweet with all of the supplemental raspberry/corn sugar feedings, this doesn't surprise me. Best consumed cold to prevent the alcohol from turning your mouth into a volcano. Once your tastebuds die back a bit from the alcohol, the raspberry flavors overwhelm. Hops have no chance against this beer and aren't detectable at all. Tastes like lambic vs. appleton white rum.

M: Sharp stinging sensation from the high alcohol leaves the mouth astringent, dry and tasting like raspberry vapors. Very hard to get over the alcohol presence.

O: Great for anyone that wants a fast buzz that loves raspberries and hates hops. It's like lambic on acid and will definitely git ya drunk.

3.99/5  rDev +8.4%

A: Pouring from the beautiful 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute. ¾” head when poured with vigor. Orange/peach color with hints of amber. Head is pure white and lingers for a long time and clings well to the glass to hang around for a while.

S: From a distance, subtle and sweet raspberry scent. When sniffed more closely, lots of alcohol/solvent aroma with the fruity odors. Could easily get drunk off the smell. As it warms, scent becomes more inviting and less alcoholic. Smell evolves greatly until the snozberries smell like snozberries.

T: At first, I can’t pick up much beer flavor past the alcohol. As it warms and I pause to reflect, flavors come alive. Nice malt body, but little-to-no hops. Lots of alcohol-kick as it goes down the hatch. Dry finish with a hint of fruity freshness. The aftertaste of berries lasts for quite some time and makes me want to take another bi gulp as soon as it disappears.

M: Mouthfeel is great for this brew, but a bit unique for a beer in general. Good carbonation that keeps the beer alive.

D: Lots of alcohol, but handled in a stunning fashion. Hard to decide how drinkable this is because there is so much alcohol to palate. I am definitely enjoying drinking this, and I could share this with a friend for a while but not all night. Drinks like a 10-12% beer, not an 18% beer.

Notes: Happy Valentine’s Day to me. Being single for my first V-Day since puberty, I used my money to treat myself. Wonderful drinking experience that all beer drinkers should have. Not as fruity as I expected, but a great beer. Oh Dogfish, you never cease to amaze me.

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

4.4/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pretty raspberry red hue, with a good head and lacing that lasts. Nose is all tart raspberry, with a sweet malty backing. Taste follows smell , with a spicy, slightly alcoholic sweet finish. Overall a really good beer for being 18%. I would love to try this again in 2 or three years.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery