Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
4.27/5  rDev +17.6%

Pours a clear garnet with a small, quickly falling white head. Viniferous, sweet aroma. Taste is a smooth, ruby port with a hint of bitterness, and a sweet, tangy finish. Light, creamy mouthfeel. Very drinkable.

This is great as a dessert drink; awesome with cheese, panna cotta, etc. Hides its strength well. (312 characters)

3.75/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

From a 750 bottle on 3/11/06.

This pours a nice reddish/amber with a HUGE head that took some time to dissipate, leaving a lacy foam covering all the way down the side of the glass and not much else once it finally dissapated comepletely . Nice raspberry aroma with a hint of hops in the background. Overall a very subtle aroma. I thought this looked better than it tasted at first blush but it grew on me considerably over time. The hops were more prevalent in the flavor than they were in the smell but the alcohol came through more than anything else. Mouthfeel was not as heavy as you might expect out of an 18% ABV beer and it was also suprisingly drinkable considering the punch.

I wish this had come bottled with a cork because I'd like to put about half of it back in the fridge for another session. Too bad for me. (831 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +24%

Very fresh bottle, only about a month old.

Poured into a Corsendonk Christmas Ale goblet. Fairly cloudy amber color. Dissipated head, but nice ring and lacing.

Lots of alcohol in the aroma, but fresh fruit comes through as well.

I had this beer last spring and thought it was good, but getting it fresh this time truly made all the difference, as the fresh bottle REALLY has all the raspberry flavor still intact. Some suggestions of apple and pear come through, as were also apparent when I had it last spring. It has a nice hint of champagne-like tartness (tastes as though it may have been brewed with champagne yeast or something).

Mouthfeel is good for what this beer is... obviously there's a generous amount of alcohol heat (which keeps getting more prevalent as the beer warms), but that goes without saying. Nice spritzy carbonation too.

Buy this as fresh as you possibly can, and serve it at fridge temperature. It really is worth it. What a fantastic, warming, strong, flavorful brew this is. Have it at the end of the night, or with dessert - I paired it with home-made tiramisu, and it was truly exceptional. It makes a delicious (and less expensive) substitute for port wine. It's PORT BEER! I should copyright that name.

About $16 for a 750 mL (1,276 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +31.4%

2007 vintage:

Appearance: A dark rosy red, much like a cider
Smell: A basket of rasberries, salmonberries and a hint of pear
Taste: Covered a wide range of flavors, starting from sweet and ending in sour. This bottle is less fruity than a younger bottle that I've had, and has become far more complex over time.
Mouthfeel: Not much retention, but felt like a young scotch at times
Overal: I would highly recommend this beer, great as an after dinner drink with some friends. If you see if, pick up 2 bottles: one for now, the other for later (5-years later) (558 characters)

2.4/5  rDev -33.9%

this was a weird beer. it was cloudy with a very acidic and alcohol smell. the flavor was not as much raspberry as i would have expected. I was very excited to try this beer, but after tasting it i wish i didnt waste the emotion. the drinkability was straight to my drain. (272 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +7.2%

Poured from a 22 oz bomber in an English pub glass and pilsner glass. It has a decent head that last with some lacing, but who cares that much about appearance.

It smells amazing. Very sweet with tons of raspberry in it, just what I was expecting.

The taste though is lacking in my opinion. There is just too much of a brown sugar sweetness to it. The raspberry also tastes a little off in my opinion, but it might be due to the sweetness. To me it tastes almost like one of those blue or dark red tootsie roll lollipops. I wish there was more acidity to it like a real raspberry.

The mouthfeel is the worst thing about this beer. It is very hot due to the amount of alcohol and super sticky too from all the malt. It is a chore to get through more than maybe half of a 12 oz glass.

Overall, this beer does serve well as a dessert beer. Just make sure that you split it with somebody since its hard to get through. (918 characters)

3.08/5  rDev -15.2%

A: Had it on tap at Cock n Bull in Sarasota. Poured into an 8oz glass, with very little head that receded quickly. There was no lacing left on the glass. Pink/Red, not a typical beer color at all.
S: Smells of raspberry (surprise!), as well as some lighter malts, a bit of caramel. Could not smell any hops aromas.
T: I acknowledge that it is slightly difficult to make raspberry flavored products that don't taste medicinal... unfortunately, this one does taste medicinal. My first sip, I said "this tastes more like a mixed drink". While it did improve after the first sip and taste a bit better, the alcohol was very pronounced and not entirely well hidden. The raspberry was very tart, and it masked the malt and hop flavors, making it taste like a sweet raspberry mixed drink overall.
M: Alcohol was very forward, carbonation was light, and it was a bit sticky in the mouth.
D: It did get more drinkable as I drank, the first few sips were rather harsh and unenjoyable. That is somewhat to be expected for an 18% beer though. I am glad I tried it, but wouldn't be very likely to buy it again. (1,097 characters)

2.56/5  rDev -29.5%

The had at isn't exactly correct. More of a "bought at". A 750 ml capped brown champagne bottle dated 11/13/06 C. I purchased this bottle at the Rehoboth brewpub in the spring of 2007 if I recall correctly. It had been chilled or refrigerated since that moment. Drank it in a Chimay goblet. The laser etching in the bottom made a neat constant stream of bubbles. Appearance: crystal clear reddish orange. Smell: alcohol and cherries. Taste: Two words, Cherry Nyquil. Very strong hot alcohol. Off the charts chemical cherry flavor. Mouth feel: lighter than I expected. Almost a medium dry wine. Drinkability: During the first few sips I would say very low. But after half a glass it got easier. (693 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +25.9%

Poured from bottle into a goblet of sorts. Nice color, exactly what one would expect with the pureed raspberries. Nice white head. Smelled pleasantly of berries and alcohol. First taste was very powerful. The alcohol give it almost a spicy/cinnamon flavor, which combines nicely with the sweetness of the raspberries. If one holds it in the mouth for a bit, allowing it to hit different parts of the tongue, the alcohol becomes more evident, but still goes down easy. Aftertaste is of berries and a bit of malt. Very drinkable, especially sitting outside on a hot sunny day. After about 1/4 of the bottle, I drank the rest while eating a roast beef panini, and it was an excellent combination. I think it would also go well with a chocolate torte or some other heavy meal or dessert. Can't wait to get another bottle of this! (825 characters)

4.27/5  rDev +17.6%

I found this at Frisco's after looking all over town for it. I thought it reasonable at $19.95 a bottle (promo for DFH pint night) It poured a copper/bright bronze color, with a bit of head. It smells WONDERFUL. Light raspberry and maybe cherry aroma, but you can detect a hint of alcohol. The taste is what really made it stand out. I don't usually like fruit beers because of the sweetness. this had a great fruit flavor that evaporates on the tongue, I'm guessing due to the alcohol content. No sticky sweetness. Definitely could taste a bit of the alcohol but that didn't diminish it in the least. Very drinkable. (617 characters)

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%

My aged Fort poured a copperish red with a very thin film atop looking like a strong Belgian.

Real sweet aroma; the raspberries are up front, but the alcohol is noticed more than any
other ingredient.

A fruity explosion with raspberries battling against the alcohol and I have to say that the berries win the battle.

There is a rich, warming feel when I sip the Fort. Moderate carbonation.

A 750ml solo and I have no plans to go anywhere as this is going to put me on my ass without a doubt. Dogfish Head has the extreme beers down. (537 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +16.8%

Poured into an oversized wine glass which produced a fingers worth of head. Nice reddish amber color that had huge aroma of berries. Awesome tart raspberry flavor accompanied with the burn from the alcohol. Lots of sour in this that makes the mouth pucker and ends with a more subtle berry taste on the tongue. Had to take my time drinking this one because the alcohol and favors in this beer are so extreme. Not a fast drinking beer but I did enjoy the flavors in this one. (474 characters)

2.44/5  rDev -32.8%

well carbonated, head drops quickly (due to high alcohol as expected). color is light tannish leather.

smell has is fairly solvent-heavy, as expected for this high ABV, with hints of berry and herbal earthy notes. very iniviting. too bad it deteriorates from there.

taste? like running an emory board over your tongue. extremely one-dimensional, harsh and grainy, with no depth at all. you get to enjoy all the raspberry seed tannins with none of the actual raspberry flavors. even the residual sweetness of the base beer seems to get buried. I can't for the life of me imagine that this was what was intended; it tastes like an experiment gone horribly wrong.

mouthfeel is coating and full, with the expected high ethanol drying effects. the clean finish is at least some consolation for having to suffer through the awful flavor experience itself.

I am unimpressed. not completely, as I like the idea behind this beer, and I can think of numerous ways this could have turned out better. however, this emperor has no clothes, and I look forward to all the self-proclaimed beer geeks proclaiming the wonders of this beer to prove their beer geek status. hypocrites.

given the variability I have experienced with a couple other dogfish head brews, it's possible my bottle was a fluke, and that the vast majority of what made it into the market is better than the bottle I had. (which I ended up dumping the remaining contents of...) (1,446 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -3%

On tap at Rehoboth in a tulip. Color seemed light pink to me, though the bar was dark. Little to no head to speak of.

Nose was very nice. Definite alcohol. I guessed cherry as the fruit, but my wife said raspberry, after reading more here, looks like she was right. Still, seemed like marachinos in alcohol to me.

Taste up front was sweet, no hops to speak of and brother, let me tell you, big alcohol in the end. I think I could have done the flamethrower act after this one. After the alcohol dissipates, it does remain somewhat sweet however.

Overall, another great experiment from DFH. I would never drink more than one of these and I don't know what this would be like in a bottle, but an interesting concoction and one I'm glad I tried none the less. (765 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +25.3%

Poured a cloudy red-amber with a little head that left fast. Smells of raspberries and sweetness. Tastes of raspberries and sweetness. Enough of the alcohol comes through to let you know that it's there, but it surprisingly does not at all overwhelm the taste. It's very light on the tongue, compares well to a sparkling fruit wine. I could drink this all night, except the price would break my wallet, and the alcohol would break my balance. It would go very well with a dark chocolate dessert that wasn't too sweet. (517 characters)

2.12/5  rDev -41.6%

First let me say that I hate the fact that I am about trash a Dogfish beer - they got me into craft brew but it needs to be done for FORT.

Shared a bottle poured into a Dogfish goblet.

A - Average what one might expect from a fruit beer. Thick, syrupy.

S - Not bad, nice rasberries with alcohol prelude following that should have been a warning.

T - AHHHH!!!! No balance at all. I love barleywine so it had nothing to do with the high alc but this was just a mess. Overwhelming alc with a fake bitter rasberry cough medicine taste. Had flashbacks of having a cold as a young kid and being forced to take medicine.

M - A miserable miserable experience. Actually opened a barleywine to chase this beer.

D - Could not finish. Don't know what went wrong with this beer. I have another in the cellar and will try aging several years as this first one was drunk very young. (876 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

Probably way to excited for this brew.

A: Foggy like the rest of there high ABV brews. Deep golden red cherry-like. Looks great, just not crazy about the fog. Guess it comes with a brew of this caliber.

S: Surprisingly not as intense as suspected. Malty sweet, alcohol and some sour fruity esters. Similar to the aromatics of DFHs 120 Minute. Raspberry aroma is faint but present.

T: The smell exactly. Intense booze upfront, followed by malty sweetness rounded off by and intense raspberry sourness. But not an overwhelming SOURNESS, just enough to round off the rest of the beer. Wine-like to say the least with hints of brown sugar. Imagine DFHs Olde School Barleywine with a push of raspberries. The bitterness is what threw me off a bit, not crazy about it. Bitterness without the beauty of the floral citrus love of the hops turns me off... just a little bit. More hops please!

M: Mild to low carbonation. Bitter alcoholic like feel. Lingers on the palate for no longer than 10 minutes. Perfect...

D: Relatively even and close to the drinkability of a Sam Adams. Which will hurt you.

Overall: With just a pinch more of hoppy goodness I could have enjoyed this beer above and beyond. I love raspberries, but have decided they should stay away from the comeliness of what we love as beer. This stays above average due to Sams innovative style but receives no further. Wouldnt buy again and so far, DFHs 120 is the best of the these killer IMPERIAL styles. Unless you are absolutely craving raspberries or just want to cover all things Dogfish, I wouldnt bother. Save some cash and just buy there 90 Minute. (1,618 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured a wildflower honey color. Minimal white head, with minimal lacing. This was expected, given the high alcohol content, and the fact its a fruit beer.

Smelled of raspberry and wine. Undertones of vodka. Smelled very nice overall, the alcohol was forgivable due to the alcohol content.

Taste was of raspberry, sweet wine, and alcohol. Are there hops there? Any malt? For a fruit beer, this was however great. I like fruit beers fruity.

Mouthfeel was alright. A little thin.

Very drinkable, if you like strong drinks, and you hold your alcohol well. It would be better if the alcohol was cut back a bit. But then again, this is DFH, so rock on. (659 characters)

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

When I saw a few 25 oz. bottles of this stuff on the shelf, I felt compelled to grab one. Hype or not, this beer demanded a test drive. Poured into a wine glass a crystal clear medium amber, forming a short fluffy head that never completely went away. The bubbles float slowly to the surface from start to finish, foreshadowing the thickness of this beer. The first component of the aroma I notice is a lightly malty, sweet alcohol --almost like champagne or a sweet white wine. The second is raspberries, but not terribly large in the forefront and not too sweet. The taste is strong, winey, and complex. Yes, it tastes sort of like a beer, but it tastes more like a chardonnay. In addition to the sour raspberry flavors, there are hints of pears, grapes, and the banana fruitiness of wheat malt. The mouthfeel is unsurprisingly thick and very fizzy. There's also a prominent heat.

I like Fort, and despite reading a lot of the hype (and anti-hype), its flavor is a surprise to me. It may be something that I only try once, or at most grab on a rare occassion, but it is definitely worth picking up. Like many Dogfish products, it makes for a perspective-widening beer experience. (1,184 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -2.8%

Dogfish head Fort ABV: 18% Bottled in 2008!

A: Beautiful looking beer. Has a redish to yellow tint to it. minimal to no head or lacing.

S: The smell is of fruits(mostly raspberries) and red wine. This beer smells and taste sweet! Has a very unique smell and very advertising.

T: Taste of a very wonderful sweet red wine. Has a raspberry taste with a hint of wheat, hops and malts. This beer is very balanced, but has a distinctive bite... The alcohol!!

M-D: From what I said earlier has a balanced taste and the flavors of the beer just go together greatly. This beer is a sharing beer... I am, of course, sharing this with my bro. This beer I would drink only one a night and have others to sip on. Good "Chilling" beer!! (726 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

750ml bottle poured into a mug.

Slightly cloudy and amber in color. Viscous. About 1/4" thin head that instantly vanished. No lacing.

Scents of fruity candy and sherry. Not as much raspberry as I expected. But, of course it is there. A bit hop heavy for this style, I think. I'm also tasting honey, and hint of spearmint.

Moderate to heavy sweetness with a slightly sticky mouthfeel. The sweetness is a little overbearing at first. But, quickly calms down. Alcohol comes on strong in the finish. Very warming for such a fruit-filled ale.

This is basically a one-trick pony. Not too much complexity. But, done well nonetheless. As with most all DH stuff, a unique experience. (678 characters)

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a snifter

A dark raspberry hued fog rises from the bottle and gently floats down the neck to dissipate into the surrounding air. I tilt the glass and pour not hurriedly, the beer swells a golden mahogany and instantly a sweet aroma with hints of tea and raspberry assaults my nostrils. The carbonation powers out a thin dark brown/white head that dissolves into the alcohol intensive liquid. What is left of the head clings pensively to the walls of the glass until it finally rejoins it's mates in the warm alcoholic fluid bubbling in the glass.

Aside from the overwhelming blended fruit essence that attacks the nostrils there is an almost equally alcoholic quality to this drink that accentuates the assault from the sweet fruit and candied sugars. Less obvious is the sour aspect of the fruit that gives it a tea like aroma, a quaint hop bitterness and a spiciness add to the warming almost medicinal aromas wafting from this beer.

The aroma of this beer is an integral part of tasting it, as the flavour is not as "in your face" with delicate distinctions between the different ingredients. Immediately the overwhelming sweetness, and alcohol phenols of the odors present themselves more delicately in the flavour of this beer. The slight hop bitterness and sour notes present in the aroma are more present in the flavour and create a very gratifying contrast to the sweet raspberry chocolate cordial taste. This drink is a dessert in and of itself, a chocolate covered raspberry tart. The malt in this beer harkened back memories of a chocolate stout I recently had but this was dark raspberry chocolate with a contrasting tartness. This scrumptious dessert is finished off with a slight bitter citrusy hop flavour and warm spices (much of what I would expect in a Strong Belgian Ale). Eventually the tartness almost completely takes over and the alcohol dries the palate leaving a dry spice on the breath.

Silky texture as it enters the mouth, instantaneously it warms the soul then carbonation hits the palate taking your attention away from the intense alcohol and raspberry flavours present and reminding you that this is a beer. A slight puckering is produced from the bitter tartness that is aesthetically pleasing as a complement to the warming alcohol and sweetness present. Aesthetically this beer very much reminds me of a concoction of champagne and Chambord.

More drinkable than the first waft would have led me to believe. I had this with a chocolate fondue, pound cake, and strawberries and this beer, a dessert in itself, went perfectly. Not a beer to drink by yourself, a very share worthy beer whether it be with friends or a loved one (as was my case) and most certainly not a session beer. (2,755 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

It poured a dark yellow with a red tint in the light looked nice like you would expect a raspberry beer if you know what that would look like kinda nice i guess looked good small head with lacing.

The smell was nice with raspberries and alcohol dominating. Hops on the back side.

The taste is heavily alcohol and fruit with very sweet notes some tastes are hard to pick out but it is kinda nice definitely good for a fruit beer.

The mouthfeel is kinda heavy and decent reminds me of a barley wine. the drinkability is low and probably couldnt finish more than a pint or two cause it sits so heavy with the large alcohol content. Good fruit beer and would recommend it if you want to try one (693 characters)

3.04/5  rDev -16.3%

Overall, this beer was just o.k. The least attractive aspect of this beer is its aroma. It falls somewhere in between flinstones vitamins and robitussin. The raspberry scent comes through slightly, but the alcohol overpowers everything. Pours a nice pinkinsh amber with minimal head. The flavor of the rasperries is faint, but pleasant. There is a nice malt profile and some hops, but the flavors are dominated by the alcohol. I understand what they were going for with this beer, and I love big beers as much as the next BA, but this particular brew could probably benefit from a lower ABV, just to let some of the other flavors shine through. (644 characters)

3.7/5  rDev +1.9%

Bought on January 10 2007. Sampled June 20 2008. Aging for around one year 6 months. Intial pour leaves little lace and head. Cloudy rusty color. Smells of berries with some warming alcohol. Sediment was seen on first pour!

Initial taste is of semisweet berries. Carbonation is low. Semidry with a warming alcohol down the throat. Amazing complexity of flavors. Spicy, peppery, sweety, and the nice smooth alcohol drip down the throat. Alcohol is being felt within the five minutes of writing this review.

Drinkability lowers a little with a high ABV even though it's not tasted much. Recommended for any extreme beer drinker or any drinker of beer. (652 characters)

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery