Join our email list →

Delaware, United States | website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer | 18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
Reviews: 533 | Hads: 1,158
4.57/5  rDev +24.5%

Big thanks to wchesak for this one.

Appearance is a burgundy brown, with a slight bit of head but not a lot.

The smell is almost ripe rasberries, just leaving tart and entering sweet.

the flavour is great. Not at all what i was expecting. Nothing like other rasberry beers where it tastes like melted sherbet. This is fir sure a strong ale made with fruit. I nice malt backbone supporting the rasberry flovour through out the whole taste.

Paired with a rasberry dark chocolate is amazing.

might need to get another bottle and age this one.

4.62/5  rDev +25.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A-Golden brown. Barely any head. Bubbles around the edge.

S-Sweet Unripened raspberries. Smells really nice.

T-Great raspberry flavor, of course the alcohol comes through, dry tart finish.

M-Medium body. Kind of like a raspberry liqueur but not too syrupy. Great carbonation

D-Slow easy drinker.

4.47/5  rDev +21.8%

Bought and reviewed on my 23 birthday.

Gently fizziling half finger light tan, off white heads quickly dissipates to almost nothing but maintains thin ring of bubbles. No lacing but clings to the walls some. Reddish cherry amber in color.

Sweet eminating effervescent rasberry fruitness slightly stings the nose. Smells awesome but somewhat alcoholic which is no suprise. I dont smell any hops and rasberry overwhelms in a good way.

Moderatly thick, lingering sticky mouthfeel that is not too syrupy. Just enough carbonation.

Not much into fruit beers but this is hands down the best ive ever had. A little bit expensive price tag, but it was a special occasion- and I think it was very worth it. This beer was quite an experience. Hope to pick this up again sometime. Very different from anything Ive ever had. Dogfish Head has never dissapointed (at least for me!)

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

750 mL bottle (date 2011/10) shared amongst friends and paired with dark Lindt chocolate.

A: nice clear amber with red hues. Thin white head dissipates quickly. Not really any lacing.

S: definite raspberry, honey, and fruity alcohol in the nose.

T: strong raspberries up front, syrupy, some hints of bourbon, fairly strong on the alcohol.

M: dry, crisp. fairly hash alcohol heat but this is expected given the DFH toxic waste parity symbol on the bottle cap.

O: a good beer for sure, very different. It is strong and very fruity. It does pair well with chocolate and I would recommend tasting it with that on hand. As I've grown to expect with DFH this is a very out there ale and I definitely appreciate it. Am aging two bottles as well.

3.58/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured to an oversized wine glass. 2011 vintage.
Pours on the redish side of orange, a vigorous pour pulled a one finger head that was gone in a hurry. Nice spotty lacing.
nose is big and boozy, I get burnt sugar raspberries and tropical fruit. Big alcohol burn dominates the nose.
The raspberries is up front in the taste but is still overshadowed by the high alcohol, aside from that I get burnt sugar and toffee reminiscent of a barleywine.
Mouthfeel is super sticky, big body, and medium-low carbonation.
This is my third time trying this beer. The first time was in my second month of craft beer and I thought it had gone bad and poured it down the drain, the second time it was four years old and fucking delicious, this time it was fresh and I have to say this is a beer that needs aging to meet its full potential. At 4 years I'd give it a 4.7.

3.65/5  rDev -0.5%

Sampling as I write this in a 4 oz. Intuition ale works tumbler from the bottle.

I'll keep the review simple. It's raspberry 120. Do you like Dogfish Head's 120 minute IPA? It's a raspberry version of that.

A: Pours a nice golden amber with a slight 1/2" head that dissipates fast. Leaves minimal lacing with a slight halo of cat spit around the rim. Carbonation is minimal.

S: Smells of raspberries and warming alcohol.

T: Overwhelming rum notes similar to DFH 120. Very sweet with all of the supplemental raspberry/corn sugar feedings, this doesn't surprise me. Best consumed cold to prevent the alcohol from turning your mouth into a volcano. Once your tastebuds die back a bit from the alcohol, the raspberry flavors overwhelm. Hops have no chance against this beer and aren't detectable at all. Tastes like lambic vs. appleton white rum.

M: Sharp stinging sensation from the high alcohol leaves the mouth astringent, dry and tasting like raspberry vapors. Very hard to get over the alcohol presence.

O: Great for anyone that wants a fast buzz that loves raspberries and hates hops. It's like lambic on acid and will definitely git ya drunk.

3.99/5  rDev +8.7%

A: Pouring from the beautiful 750 mL bottle into a champagne flute. ¾” head when poured with vigor. Orange/peach color with hints of amber. Head is pure white and lingers for a long time and clings well to the glass to hang around for a while.

S: From a distance, subtle and sweet raspberry scent. When sniffed more closely, lots of alcohol/solvent aroma with the fruity odors. Could easily get drunk off the smell. As it warms, scent becomes more inviting and less alcoholic. Smell evolves greatly until the snozberries smell like snozberries.

T: At first, I can’t pick up much beer flavor past the alcohol. As it warms and I pause to reflect, flavors come alive. Nice malt body, but little-to-no hops. Lots of alcohol-kick as it goes down the hatch. Dry finish with a hint of fruity freshness. The aftertaste of berries lasts for quite some time and makes me want to take another bi gulp as soon as it disappears.

M: Mouthfeel is great for this brew, but a bit unique for a beer in general. Good carbonation that keeps the beer alive.

D: Lots of alcohol, but handled in a stunning fashion. Hard to decide how drinkable this is because there is so much alcohol to palate. I am definitely enjoying drinking this, and I could share this with a friend for a while but not all night. Drinks like a 10-12% beer, not an 18% beer.

Notes: Happy Valentine’s Day to me. Being single for my first V-Day since puberty, I used my money to treat myself. Wonderful drinking experience that all beer drinkers should have. Not as fruity as I expected, but a great beer. Oh Dogfish, you never cease to amaze me.

3.77/5  rDev +2.7%

Well, had this one at my girlfriend's house as a nightcap before I hit the road. NOT a good idea. Turns out this cheeky bastard is 18% ABV. Who knew? It's not printed on the bottle, and the intense raspberry flavoring covers it up enough to give me the benefit of the doubt. Shortly after I finished it I realized I wasn't going anywhere, and had to sit on my hands for a couple hours afterwards. Gee thanks, DFH.

As far as the beer itself goes, it's not my favorite style. The raspberry is a little bit on-the-nose/cloying. But the beer doesn't pose to be anything else. It embraces the fruit, pumps up the ABV, and offers a really unique taste. I think it's also impressive that this beer is more drinkable than both the 14% Sammichlaus and the 18% Mikkeller Black. Instead of pure sugar, though, Fort achieves this drinkability with fruit. Tons and tons of fruit. A daring beer that I would love to try again, be it on tap, cask, or just next year.

3.84/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a unique orange and golden color. A strange, but alluring shimmer to this beer. It almost seems to change color as you move the glass. Looks like it might glow in the dark. Little head and no lacing, but I wasn't expecting much to begin with.

Rasberries up front, really strong, sort of like a rasberry flavored cough syrup (alcohol). Not unappealing though. Some hints of spices. A little vanilla maybe. Actually a little disappointing. I expected more.

Good stuff. Fruity, but not too fruity. Strangely well balanced mix of flavors. Very smooth, almost sticky feeling in the throat. Warming. Tasty and unusual...

...but still pretty hard to drink at times. That cough syrup character sticks throughout. It's not bad, but it makes it harder to keep picking up the glass. Add in the 18% ABV and the $20/bottle price tag and you pretty much have to call this a great one-time beer experience.

3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Pours straw color with a slight reddish tint. Smell shows a slight hint of the rasberries that are used in the beer. Taste has hints of rasberries with some hops and malt, but the alcohol taste also plays a big roll. Warming feeling in your stomach after drinking. Feels good in the mouth and is surprisingly drinkable for such a strong beer.

2.87/5  rDev -21.8%

I received the big bottle (750mL?) from davide169.
This beer just looked weird. Something was off with the color. Very pinkish
Smelled okay. I detected a lot of alcohol in the nose which I would have liked if it weren't for the weired pureed rasberry smell. Smelled very sugary
Tasted not good at all. I didn't enjoy it at first, but the only redeeming quality for me was the alcohol. It sounds odd, but the burn of the 18% saved this beer for me.
Mouthfeel seemed thin despite the level of alcohol. I have come to expect nothing but amazing from Dogfish Head, and this unfortunatley fails in my book.
The drinkability on this is good though despite the poor taste review I gave it. I finished both glasses poured from the bottle and I could have had more as I seemed to be on some sort of sugar high from all the fruit and alcohol in this.
I would try this again just to be sure, but based on my first bottle, I don't recommend this one.
This is the only DFH product I have tried that I didn't absolutely love. Maybe it is because I live in CA and I have to trade for any DFH, so I feel like I have to like it. But for me, DFH is one of the better breweries out there, behind Russiain River and Alesmith.

4.55/5  rDev +24%

Hooooly crap... this beer is awesome.

So this is the first beer I've sampled that is more than 13% ABV... and I really thought I'd be far more disappointed than this....

Thankfully I was way off.

First of all, it was sort of what I expected strangely enough. I sort of imagined this "raspberry fruit beer" to be more like a sour/Flemish ale. And strangely enough, this beer reminds me very much of Rodenbach.

I think this brew is world class and only wish it could be more than just a fruit beer; I feel like it's more of a sour ale. It's deep, complex and exciting all at once. This is what all you Russian Imperial fanboys only wished Imperial Stouts could be.

Not that I don't love a good Russian Imperial. But this beer knocked my socks off. And maybe I haven't had enough great beers, but Rodenbach knocked my socks off too, but this beer knocked them off MORE.

Unfair to put this in a category as specialized as Rodenbach? Maybe... but who am I but a beer lover. I know what I like... this beer isn't sweet or overpowering. It's not comparable to anything else out here. It's 18% ABV of nearly unintentional beer bliss that goes down way smoother than it should and begs (literally BEGS) for another sip.

And that, to me, is what great beer is all about.

2.28/5  rDev -37.9%

This is some pricey stuff. The wife and I considered it a special occasion bottle and took it over to some friends house to share over dinner.
I gotta say that the label, designed by Tara McPherson, has the cutest cartoon female I think I've ever seen. Well, her and the Esurance one. The drink itself looks nice too. At first pour it reminds me a bit like apple cider but given a minute in the glass it takes on a summer at dusk orange look. You can smell the alcohol in it. No doubt about that. The raspberry scent raps itself around it. Very interesting. We adjusted our tastebuds accordingly, clinked our glasses and took a sip. Then we all looked at each other.
"Ugh! Cough medicine" was everyone's first reaction. Follow up tastes didn't change much from that. I don't know if that was DFH's intention or if they need to experiment more with the idea. From start to finish it very medicinal and drying. Ethanol was mentioned more than once. The raspberry taste seems it more of the seed than the fruit and any sweetness that comes from it is hanging on heavy and thick to the alcohol making the whole damn thing unpleasant. All of us there are Dogfish Head fans. We wanted to get around the idea of Fort expecting something a bit juicy and sweet and knew we'd be getting a bit more kick but couldn't get into it. Especially at 18 bucks for a 750 mil bottle.

4.4/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Pours a pretty raspberry red hue, with a good head and lacing that lasts. Nose is all tart raspberry, with a sweet malty backing. Taste follows smell , with a spicy, slightly alcoholic sweet finish. Overall a really good beer for being 18%. I would love to try this again in 2 or three years.

3.08/5  rDev -16.1%

Presentation: Last night at The Flying Saucer in Addison they were having their 13th anniversary party and tapped 5 rare kegs; this was one of them. Poured from their draft tap into a wide bowl wine-style glass with a stem.

A: This beer is absolutely beautiful. A reddish-orange color that almost appears to be on fire as it catches light around it.

S: Smells extremely phenolic indicative of its 18% alcohol content. It is not hidden whatsoever. What it does have in burn though it makes up for in beautiful raspberry aromas.

T: I liked this beer, but it is extremely strong and does not hide it. Tastes of raspberries and warm alcohol that I prefer as the drink warms up. I think the alcohol burns less as the temperature warms which is converse to what the Alstrom Bros thought.

M: Very nicely carbonated for this type of beer. High carbonation was needed, and it was present.

D: This is a sipper in the purest sense of the word. I bet it took me 1.5 hours to finish 8 oz. of this. I don't drink liquor straight, but at times I certainly felt like that's what this was offering.

Overall I"m glad I got to have this, but I would not get it again.

4.22/5  rDev +15%

A beer brewed with rasberries? More like an after-dinner cordial in a pint glass.

This beer was poured from a bottle, aged a year and a half, into a Chimay goblet. The head was small and gone quickly, but I didn't hold that against it. It is appropriate to the overwheming strength of this beer.

It gives you a pungent berry/fruity smell, with a strong signal (not hint) of the alcohol behind this brew. Once tasted, mouthfeel is full, thick, and heavy, yet quite smooth. It is incredibly strong, but that's o.k. because it is doing all the right things: malty fullness, fruity hoppiness, and an enduring cordial-like flavor that makes you wonder why it is in a goblet and not a cordial glass.

The flavor is consistent, persistent,and finishes sweetly, but not overly so if you like a fruit beer to begin with. I can't afford to buy this beer very often, and do not have much discipline for cellaring, but I do believe that this beer is best aged for a year, as I did not have as positive a reaction to it when I had it fresh on tap at the source about a month ago.

Highly recommended as a dessert or nightcap experience.

4.5/5  rDev +22.6%

I first had this at the Boston Beer Fest with
Sam himself pouring and it was the biggest hit
at the Fest. Big lines and Sam trying his best to give out a taste sample and with
everybody going back for more, I don't think
it lasted very long. It has a unique
taste but although its strong it has many flavors
mixing around the raspberry theme. Its an outstanding addition to the extreme side of
beers/ale. Its creamy, with a candied sweetness
that quickly moves past the alcohol, tartness
and a touch of some kind of lime, interesting
nightcap to say the least. Got this for a 50th
birthday gift and had to open it right away.
Classy stuff from a great craft brewer. Sam
you are amoung the best out there, keep it up!

2.44/5  rDev -33.5%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a duvel glass. Pours a cloudy orange color with a nice creamy one-finger head. The aroma is of raspberry juice, and a whole lot of it. The taste is one-dimensional as well, just a lot of raspberries and a medicinal taste like that of cough syrup. The mouthfeel is medium-thick bodied with decent carbonation. This beer is definitely hot.

Overall, an interesting beer that was kind of what one would expect from an 18% fruit beer, just very syrupy and hot. I applaud the effort however.

3.97/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a tulip glass from a capped, 750 ml brown bottle.

The pour shows something that looks like the cranberry tea that my wife drinks - nice reddish brown tints. The overly white head is big and foamy. Nice lacing - most likely from the high bubbly action of this stuff.

To the nose, it is big raspberry and alcohol. The smell explodes out at you.

In the mouth, it's nice and clean. Again, the fruit jumps all over your tongue, but the alcohol keeps it from getting too sweet. There is a semi-tart crisp bite that also makes it easy to drink. Very refreshing for a brew that will kick your ass. Completely different than all of the other ultra malty big alcohol beers we know and love.

Musings: When a fruit brew is done right, I tend to enjoy them. This one is right on the mark. It is a little pricey, but by the time you and your loved one have finished the bottle, the beer reviews will end for the evening.

3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

A: Reddish amber and shockingly transparent. Leaves a bit of sediment. Ok lacing. On first glance, this looks weak.

S: Rasberries and alcohol. More of both as the beer warms.

T: This is the rasberry spritzer or cordial of the beer world. This is well advertised on the bottle, so I will count that as a good thing. There is a good malt backbone to this beer. A little earthy flavor is brought in by the yeast.

M: This is a liquer with bubbles. Sweet and syrupy without inducing the gag reflex.

D: This is a dessert beer that should be enjoyed with friends to close an evening. My review may seem negative (and may rate that way) but I would recommend this as a dessert beer. The alcohol feel is a bit high for me though, and that tends to skew the experience of a beer for me.

3.95/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured from 12oz bottle, 2015 vintage.

Beautiful reddish brown, crystal clear body. No significant head to speak of and only traces of carbonation.

Sharp smell of fruits, lacks significant complexity, but its a very pleasing smell. Thin body, and taste that follow the aroma. Finishes with booze, not an unsettling amount, but enough to scare you a touch.

Overall, this is beer maybe technically, but drinks much more like a dessert wine. Its tasty, but should probably be given at least a year or more to let the flavors come together better.

4.82/5  rDev +31.3%

A: Pours a crisp rose color with a decent white head that goes quickly.

S: Insanely like raspberry, as if they are being crammed into my olfactory. Extremely sweet and a little essence of pale malt extract with a waft of alcohol.

T: Rich creamy and so much raspberry goodness it is almost overwhelming. It has so much raspberry depth, nothing like any other fruit beer I have ever had. It does not contain that fake sugary fruit essence, or a thin I can almost imagine it flavor. The alcohol is almost covered for such a strong beer, but as it warms it does start to creep up. The tartness of the raspberry's does get covered up by bozzyness as it warms too.

M:Thick, heavy, creamy, and it sticks making your tongue beg for more tart raspberry.

D: Extremely drinkable for an 18% brew, would be hard to drink more than one though.

2.94/5  rDev -19.9%

I must admit, this disappointed me... Admittedly, I expected a lot, but I was left unimpressed.

A - Dark reddish, with a light pink to orange head.

S - Fruity and sweet and alcoholic. Very different than a Raspberry Lambic.

T - The alcohol punches through the other flavors... you can definitely taste the raspberry and malty flavors, but the alcohol is pervasive.

M - Maybe the best part of this beer, it feels great. Smooth and bubbly, and goes down nicely.

D - Couldn't drink more than one glass... glad I was sharing the 750.

4.34/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

It was a homebrew Sunday, so in celebration I decided to chill and share my mid '07 Fort with my fellow brewers. I've had many Forts over the years, but not one that has been aged this long.
Pours cloudy, dark orange with a bit of pink. Little head and low carbonation. Not much to look at.
The aroma a bit surprising considering the other Forts I've had as a reference. Very barley wine-like in the nose, with the raspberries incorporated nicely. Not near as much fruit as I expected.
Each of us had a small sample in six ounce whiskey glasses, and the ensuing tastes were extremely nice. The palate was equal to the nose in its balance and smoothness. It had a huge malt foundation that worked perfectly with the tart fruit and huge abv. It was not near as sweet as the early ones I've had, and the alcohol is truly incorporated. Very smooth, and little, if any, burn.
I've not purchased a Fort in a while due to its lack of balance, but I will definitely get one or two and set them aside for at least two years. The aged Fort was an excellent experience that I will definitely repeat...in 2011.

3.8/5  rDev +3.5%

Bottled in '09, pours hazy golden brown, slight reddish tinge about it. No head here, whatsoever, though I did a slightly aggressive pour. Yield equals nothing. Overall, looks like a good brew, not what one would expect a fruit beer to look like.

Smell is huge fusel alcohol. Not much else, maybe a hint of raspberry scent, but mostly that big alcohol scent.

Taste is a bit of raspberry, a lot of alcohol, and a nice malt backbone follows up in the aftertaste.

Feel is super warm. Probably can be classified as hot. Warming like a shot of hard liquor. Good carbonation, nice and tingly, alive on the palate.

Average in the drinkability arena. Very heavy on the booze can lead to trouble. I'm polishing off this 750mL alone, and I hate to see what tomorrow brings.

Fort from Dogfish Head Craft Brewery