2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

FortFort

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 426-450 | 451-475 | 476-500  | next › last »
Ratings: 925 | Reviews: 487 | Show All Ratings:
tribial

1.9/5  rDev -48.2%

Drank on 12/1/08 bottled on 11/13/06.

I was expecting a lot from this beer, but was severely disappointed.
Granted, I'm not a big fan of fruit beers. I was expecting it to taste, and smell, a lot more like raspberries for the ton it was brewed with.
It came out of the bottle a nice deep red with almost no head, dissipated fast, leaving a tiny ring of foam around the glass.
Smelled very slightly of raspberries,but not in the way I'd like. More dulled and bland then the tart brightness of fresh raspberries, also had the smell of alcohol to be expected.
The taste was not good. Decent maybe, but still an off tasting brew. The raspberries were present but the alcohol flavor pretty much covered them, a chemical taste was present.
The mouthfeel was ok, but you didn't want to keep it in their long.
Very hard to drink. If I hadn't paid for the bottle I would have gladly sent it other places then my stomach. but at the price I really tried to like it.

The second glass is better... but that's because you probably have a nice buzz after the first glass.

12-02-2008 04:08:55 | More by tribial
darkside7268

2.63/5  rDev -28.3%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

01-08-2011 02:24:59 | More by darkside7268
judzillah

2.38/5  rDev -35.1%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

01-06-2007 17:48:39 | More by judzillah
DocBrown

3.38/5  rDev -7.9%

i had this on tap as well, then opted to fill a growler to bring back up north to share...

this is a monster. there are smells and tastes of alcohol throughout. i read here some treated it as a brandy, which is accurate (as served on tap is in a tulip). in growler, it appears amber in color, but pours a slightly cloudy light reddish color with small head and little to no lacing (though this could be fault of the growler). smell is of strong alcohol, but with nice touches of berries and other sweets. taste is also of strong alcohol, but also has taste similar to the smell following. the body was medium, the tastes linger, and succesive drinks draw a minor acidity.

i completely applaud the creativity in the brewing--this is a recipe i could see be refined into a much more smooth (and slightly smaller) fruit beer, and even this batch will probably even mellow a little bit with age. however, as is, it's a bit much...

Serving type: growler

06-05-2005 06:06:22 | More by DocBrown
Dendrite77

2.95/5  rDev -19.6%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

05-27-2007 21:55:39 | More by Dendrite77
Twerp28

Indiana

4.1/5  rDev +11.7%

A shame this beer. This particular bottle at least. Having just gone through my beer cellar inventory I had noticed this Fort, although being purchased in 2009, had a late 2006 production date. Originally I read the '08 for an '06 and so it is I realized for the first time I was cellaring a five year old beer. A five year old beer very high in unfermented sugar surely.

Disappointed. Unfortunately I've had too much exposure to oxidised fruit wine and that is exactly what I'm getting from this bottle. I'm sure in it's more youthful days it had a hint of Raspberry Port or Brandy. I can taste it, I can see it. A dark brown with a hint of ruby, Irish Red would be fitting. Age has killed any form of carbonation and like a geriatric bottle of red wine it oxidises almost immediately. You get a whiff of it's youth, then it's gone. Lost to the present. It's Mickey Rooney in a bottle. Drink it when it was married to Ava Gardener. Young is best, if you have a 2008 drink it NOW! It has most likely already climaxed and is on it's way to the grave.

This being said, I can drink past the oxidation. If you can overlook the vinegar and the flatness this beer has something to say, it has experience, it has a story to tell. I'm watching Citizen Kane as I drink this bottle. What a fitting analogy. My old Fort is surely on the decline, but it is a bottle that has truly lived. Not some lager. Some lager who started life in mediocrity and finished it's years in the as the same shit lager as it began. Your drinking the steady decline into hell. It's not a James Dean or a Grace Kelly, it's a M. Night Shymalan or a Steve McQueen. I'd rather drink a beer that was once great than one that was never great at all.

11-15-2011 20:54:25 | More by Twerp28
indy2823

Indiana

4.13/5  rDev +12.5%

Picked up a bottle for Valentine's Day for my wife and I. Thought this bottle would bring something extra special due to the price tag. In one way it was but on other levels it was not.

A great label is what caught my eye in the first place along with the champagne bottle. Poured into a flute, this beer was red/pinkish with some very bubbly carbonation and decent head. Head seemed to disipate in the flute and the smell was hints of alcohol and very tart raspberries. By the end of the first glass, my innards were warming up due to the 18% ABV. At first sip I noticed a lot of carbonation on the tongue. Alcohol and raspberries as well. Sweet and tart was too much for me. Hard to find the "beer" factor in this one as hops seemed little to none though I understand the style. After each sip, beer goes down easier with a warming sensation each time. Carbonation seems to have a party on the tongue. Quite drinkable though I doubt my wife and I will try this one again.

02-16-2006 17:33:00 | More by indy2823
devilmatic

serving: bottle served in a snifter

appearance: A reddish-orange hue

smell: A really strong scent of raspberries

taste: Tart Raspberries

mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel

drinkability: A great after dinner beer with a rich dessert such as cheesecake or rich chocolate.

Reminds me of Celis Raspberry back in the day before they were bought out.

01-08-2008 01:21:53 | More by devilmatic
chadb

Connecticut

4.43/5  rDev +20.7%

Just ordered yesterday and picked up today. These bottles are stamped July. Poured into a red wine glass, almost a greenish tinge looking from the top. Fine looking from side with lots of carbonation sitting on the glass.

Smell, like a wine. Wife who doesn't like beer was asked to smell this one and she flat out said it smells like wine. Sweet, with more of a hint of raspberries than flat out berry, but as said very sweet smelling.

This would be a great tasting drink after the first one. The second glass was much smoother than the first with more fruit and floral than the first. I would hate to loose the taste with something else before, so try this one twice in the same sitting.

Savor the sip, don't drink. Keeping this in the mouth for a few seconds (or more) before swallow really allows alot more to come out.

My drinkability would rate higher, but you really can't drink this as easy as I would have liked. This may be because of my usual drinking instead of sip and savor of beers.

Really like this, only issue may be the high level of alcohol. If others think of this as a wine instead of a "beer" you will enjoy this.

11-26-2008 02:40:07 | More by chadb
LittleCrayon

3.98/5  rDev +8.4%

tried on tap. nice amber color, no head at all. sweet, strong aroma of alcohol & cherry. First sip, tastes like whole grain honey mustard, good gourmet mustard! not off putting at all...really unique and interesting. flavor deepened with cherry sweetness & warm finish. good sipping beer. wasnt overwhelming with CHERRY--whihc was a nice surprise. would be great with vanilla ice cream or short bread cookies. bought a bottle to age.

03-12-2010 22:44:33 | More by LittleCrayon
DawnDebauchery

2.15/5  rDev -41.4%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

01-19-2012 05:33:26 | More by DawnDebauchery
kustard

4.25/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

750ml bottled 07/09/07.

Consumed from Duvel tulip.

A - murky brown, head retention almost nonexistent, foam creeped out of bottle a couple minutes after opening

S - cherry, vinegar, tiny bit of funk, caramel, brown sugar, figs

T - sour, fruity, tart. Belgian base comes through. Dry finish. Some faint cough syrup. Balsamic vinegar.

M - good bit of alcohol burn on front of tongue but booze creeps up on you. Despite the foaming, not much carbonation. Coats mouth with that lingering tartness.

O - this was my white whale after drinking one fresh a few years ago and not realizing that some aging could do it some good. Love the sour and tart character this takes on. Beyond 6 years could accentuate the vinegar qualities. Belgian base readily apparent. 5 years out is probably prime time.

07-22-2013 02:34:07 | More by kustard