Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

750ml bottle, served in a Chimay goblet. It pours cloudy golden brown, with a effervescent head that quickly dissolves. The smell hits me before I even get my nose near the class, the carbonation propelling it far & wide. Its full of fruit, raspberries, apricots, red wine and a nuttiness. I like it! The taste is like port wine with a sharp raspberry edge. Lots of caramel and fruit. Very good but it tastes young. I think I'll have to buy another bottle & age it, I'd love to see how the sugars mellow over time. Strong alcohol finish. Wow! I feel that one. The mouthfeel is syrupy but crisp, just velvety smoooth. The drinkability is good but this one needs pairing. Perhaps with a strong cheese or some dark chocolate.

roblowther, Feb 01, 2008

robgage, Jan 01, 2014

beerhan, Aug 20, 2013

andthevolcano, Nov 07, 2012
3.53/5  rDev -4.1%

Had on-tap at the DFH brewpub in DE. Poured a pink-orange color with an off-white head. The head fizzled away leaving minimal lacing. Had an aroma of raspberries and something else that I could not identify. Raisins? Maybe it was the high alcohol mixed with fruit...but the aroma honestly reminded me of Raison D'Extra. Tasted of tart raspberries, sweet malts, brown sugar...raisins...and BOOZE. This beer certainly does not mask the high alcohol.

On the thin side of medium bodied with moderate carbonation. I wasn't a huge fan of this one and I stuck with just a 4oz pour. Unique, yes...drinkable...not really.

MsRif, Dec 18, 2011
4.18/5  rDev +13.6%

The appearance is a bit disappointing. Cloudy amber orange, but the fizzy short head dissipates quickly and leaves virtually no lace.

The aroma is expectedly fruity. Light red fruits: raspberry, peach, tart cherry. The raspberry was not as prominent as I'd imagined.

The flavor is of sharp fruit mellowed out by some more base-like malt. Raspberry, wild strawberry, peach, and a nice wine-like quality that helps the brew to hold its character. Heavily fermented fruit. Warms the palate a bit, pleasant.

Smooth and relatively heavy mouthfeel. Lightened up by good carbonation. A bit of a sipper. Nice overall.

letsgopens, Jul 13, 2007
3.8/5  rDev +3.3%

Appearance: To be honest, I was really expecting this to be a deep shade of red. In fact, it's a hazy, deep reddish-pumpkin body with a decent off-white head that recedes rapidly and leaves only minimal lacing (with this level of alcohol, retention and lacing is virtually out of the question).

Aroma: Sweet, berry-like, boozy, and at times almost vinegary. Complex and unique - what on earth is this going to taste like?

Taste: Wow! Intense as hell! There is no question whatsoever that the alcohol content here is almost off the charts, it's in the forefront from the beginning to the end and almost spicy in its intensity. Once the booze-shock subsides, you find a lot of complexity underneath. There's lots of fruit, including berries, banana and pineapple. As for malt, the backbone is relatively light and basically stays the hell out of the way. The aftertaste is very boozy with some hints of berry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, slick, and nicely velvety. There's enough carbonation here to make it more drinkable than a liqueur. Lots of boozy burn for the tongue, the cheeks, and the throat. Dry as hell.

Drinkability: This one is going to take some time... I'd much prefer a regular 12 oz. bottle over this monster.

Verdict: This is a thoroughly unique beer - and because of this, it's hard to rate. Style is pretty much out the window here, so there's nothing much as far as guidelines go. Looks like we're in uncharted territory here folks... This big bastard of a beer tends to blur the lines between an ultra-strong beer and a weaker liqueur. It's mad as hell, but I like it. The only thing I can offer as far as a comparison goes is an Imperial Imperial Framboise. I can't wait to see how this ages.

BeanBone, May 12, 2009
2.75/5  rDev -25.3%

Seaba, Feb 26, 2013
2.1/5  rDev -42.9%

This was not fun to drink. I picked this up at my local bottle shop thinking I would be adventurous. What a nightmare, thank the Lord I had jdkls to help me finish this one off.

The appearance is actually beautiful. A nice lightly red tinted golden color is present, and boy is it clear. Nice clarity, and on top of that is a crisp half finger white head that leaves pretty quick. The alcoholic legs on this were not extreme, but fun to watch slide down the sides of my glass.

The smell is not very strong, but what is there is very straight forward. Sweet red raspberry sweetness paired with 120 Minute ABV sweetness. Thats it.

The taste is very simple. The taste is of faint raspberries with gasoline. I have some advice for you, if you are first drinking this beer, do NOT inhale. This beer actually harms you. The back of my throat and my mouth burned with alcohol and nasty additive flavors. There are not many flavors in this. It reminded me of the worst parts of 120 Minute, burning ethanol and sugar from the malts and raspberries.

The mouthfeel was terrible, like taking shots of 151. Terrible.

I could not of finished the whole bottle, I would of died if I did not have a friend helping me out. I do not understand why this HAD to be 18% ABV. Why!?! Just make it a sessionable 5% and take away all of the burn and make it at least a bit enjoyable. Sugar sweetness and burning sensations made this a very big disappointment.

J

Jmoore50, Dec 18, 2009

Jules11788, Jan 09, 2012

jsnoek, Dec 23, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +21.5%

A - It's a thick creamy gold color. Thick can't see through it at all. Very heavy appearance.
S - Pure raspberries. No doubt about it. It hits you as soon as its in front of you. I was excited just by the smell of this beer.
T - Amazing. Delicious. I was blown away that it could be that high in alcohol and taste so good. There is so much fresh raspberry taste that it is hard to call it beer.
M - Pretty nice. Very nice sipping beer in the winter. Not much of a summer beer. Heavy on the palate and the tongue.
D - Average, I couldn't have more than one or two of these beers. It is heavy and stays on the palate for a while. Can't wait to have some more but couldn't see drinking much of it in the summer.

Dogfish always blows me away with their beers.

slvrmon82, Dec 04, 2007

A- Dull, hazy orange with a decent bone-white head, maybe an inch high (quite good for an 18% ABV beer, I would say).

S- Huge raspberry aroma, like a framboise on Stanozolol. Lots of alcohol too, as expected, and tons of sweet, cake-like malt backing the fruit. It's reminiscent of a fruitier 120 Minute, actually.

T- Hmm, interesting. I was expecting this to be syrupy sweet, but it's actually quite tart. The raspberries come through very nicely with a big, juicy flavor. I almost expected to be spitting seeds out after taking a sip. The raspberries really dominate the flavor; I actually would prefer a little malt sweetness to balance out the sour raspberry juice. The alcohol is certainly there, but it's quite well-hidden for such an insanely strong brew. The finish is remarkably dry, proving this to be a very well-attenuated beer.

M- I thought this would be syrupy like other very high-ABV beers I've had, but it's really not. The carbonation is quite high and balances out the viscosity, resulting in a nice fizzy medium body.

D- This one is tough to rate. Considering its strength, I would say that this beer is very drinkable. That being said, it's definitely a sipper and one that should be sipped for a long time. Nevertheless, I have to give it a good score here, because I imagine that it will go down faster than any 18% beer I've had before, even if that's not saying a whole lot.

The good folks at Dogfish Head continue to surprise and delight. This beer is not at all what I was expecting (a syrupy-sweet alcohol bomb) and is actually a really nice fruit beer. It's certainly not one I'll be getting again any time soon, as the price is kind of steep (although not bad considering its strength) and it pretty much has to be shared with at least one other person (preferably two or more). Still, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. If you've got the money and the curiosity to try this beer, don't hesitate to get it.

vtfan77, Jun 21, 2009
3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

jfstilling, Dec 01, 2013

HugeBulge, Mar 07, 2013

First, I bought this for my wife and her friend, neither like beer. They did not like this one, so I was left drinking this 750 ml bottle by lonesome. So, my handwriting is a little hard to read, I don't no why, maybe 18%. Anyway it is poured inot an oversized wine glass, a ruby red color. There is touches of amber along the sides of the glass. A head forms thinly on top and is is a pale pink color. The sweet scent of malt comes out at first, then followed by the fruity aroma of rasberries; there is a little twinge of alchol in there, but not too off setting. The malt is striking as the first flavor one tastes, your expecting more of a twang, like a lambic. The malt flows to the tartness of the rasberries, there also might be the slightest bit of hoppy bitterness at the end. A very dry finish, the rasberry tartness does linger on the palate, but the tingling of the carbonation blends it out of the way. Truely a unique beer, this a definite beer to have wine people to try, plus an excellent pairing with maybe a chocolate tort.

cameraman, Nov 15, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

GoGators, Feb 10, 2012
3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

pours a deep copper with a reddish hues, very light lace for a head hat sustaind the duration of consumption.
the aroma is malty, hint of raspberry, and alcohol.
the flavor is malty, carmelized sugar, alcohol, spice, hint of raspberry.
the mouthfeel is pretty full, little slippery sweet, sticks to your mouth.
beer is very drinkable but best enjoyed on a cold night.

plaztikjezuz, Feb 14, 2006
2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Another wacky brew from the folks at Dogfish Head. 18%? Wow. I've had the 120 min and the Worldwide Stout, so I sort of know what to expect out of this, but let's see how it goes.

The pour is a hazy orange/red color with a minimal head. To tell the truth, it's not much to look at. Smell is... Damn. I was hoping for a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock or a Frambois nose, but it's just not here. With this bottle, at least, the fruit is in the background, and the booziness takes center stage.

Taste. It's a wine. A carbonated raspberry wine.
barley and hops are nowhere to be found, and unfortunately, the raspberry flavour gets lost in the mid-palate. At the start you've got a combination of tartness and alcohol that flows into a harsh swallow and leaves my tongue with a tart berry finish.

OK, I am not digging this beer. If I want a strong raspberry beer, I'll take a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock 95 times out of 100 over this beer.

DaveFL1976, Jul 17, 2009

LMH88, Jun 06, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

Appearance - Beer poured a reddish amber color with no head at all. Lacing was present but minimal.

Smell - Raspberries dominate with also an alcohol smell as well.

Taste - Had a very medicinal taste to it. The raspberries are huge! Maybe a bit too huge. The alcohol taste is a bit too much as well.

Mouthfeel - Thick and syrupy with little carbonation.

Overall - Not very good. I couldn't finish the beer. I guess I shouldn't say couldn't but rather didn't want to. It says ages well on the bottle. My bottle was "aged" a year. Maybe a bit longer is necessary.

Beerbuddha, Jun 30, 2008
2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

From the 750ml bottle, this is a slightly reddish copper, with a big, airy head that nearly fills the rest of the wine glass I pour it into. The bouquet is a strong, but not overwhelming, rush of raspberries. The flavor too is dominated by raspberry, but there is also a distinct flavor of alcohol that pushes through in each swig.

I like the restraint of the raspberry flavor--overall this brew isn't too sweet--but I do wish that there were some second element to the flavor profile that gave this brew more variety. Once the raspberry dissipates toward the back of the mouth, the alcohol is all that's left and it's residual metallic taste isn't that pleasant.

This is an ambitious and flawed beer. I wonder if DH will continue to tweak the recipe with any future batches of this...the idea of such a strong fruit beer, with a complex palate is great. Now they've just got to work on the second part of that.

benito, Apr 16, 2006