Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005

ABV varies from 15-18%.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last
Reviews: 510 | Hads: 1,045
2.6/5  rDev -29%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

1.95/5  rDev -46.7%

Drank on 12/1/08 bottled on 11/13/06.

I was expecting a lot from this beer, but was severely disappointed.
Granted, I'm not a big fan of fruit beers. I was expecting it to taste, and smell, a lot more like raspberries for the ton it was brewed with.
It came out of the bottle a nice deep red with almost no head, dissipated fast, leaving a tiny ring of foam around the glass.
Smelled very slightly of raspberries,but not in the way I'd like. More dulled and bland then the tart brightness of fresh raspberries, also had the smell of alcohol to be expected.
The taste was not good. Decent maybe, but still an off tasting brew. The raspberries were present but the alcohol flavor pretty much covered them, a chemical taste was present.
The mouthfeel was ok, but you didn't want to keep it in their long.
Very hard to drink. If I hadn't paid for the bottle I would have gladly sent it other places then my stomach. but at the price I really tried to like it.

The second glass is better... but that's because you probably have a nice buzz after the first glass.

4.1/5  rDev +12%

A shame this beer. This particular bottle at least. Having just gone through my beer cellar inventory I had noticed this Fort, although being purchased in 2009, had a late 2006 production date. Originally I read the '08 for an '06 and so it is I realized for the first time I was cellaring a five year old beer. A five year old beer very high in unfermented sugar surely.

Disappointed. Unfortunately I've had too much exposure to oxidised fruit wine and that is exactly what I'm getting from this bottle. I'm sure in it's more youthful days it had a hint of Raspberry Port or Brandy. I can taste it, I can see it. A dark brown with a hint of ruby, Irish Red would be fitting. Age has killed any form of carbonation and like a geriatric bottle of red wine it oxidises almost immediately. You get a whiff of it's youth, then it's gone. Lost to the present. It's Mickey Rooney in a bottle. Drink it when it was married to Ava Gardener. Young is best, if you have a 2008 drink it NOW! It has most likely already climaxed and is on it's way to the grave.

This being said, I can drink past the oxidation. If you can overlook the vinegar and the flatness this beer has something to say, it has experience, it has a story to tell. I'm watching Citizen Kane as I drink this bottle. What a fitting analogy. My old Fort is surely on the decline, but it is a bottle that has truly lived. Not some lager. Some lager who started life in mediocrity and finished it's years in the as the same shit lager as it began. Your drinking the steady decline into hell. It's not a James Dean or a Grace Kelly, it's a M. Night Shymalan or a Steve McQueen. I'd rather drink a beer that was once great than one that was never great at all.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

i had this on tap as well, then opted to fill a growler to bring back up north to share...

this is a monster. there are smells and tastes of alcohol throughout. i read here some treated it as a brandy, which is accurate (as served on tap is in a tulip). in growler, it appears amber in color, but pours a slightly cloudy light reddish color with small head and little to no lacing (though this could be fault of the growler). smell is of strong alcohol, but with nice touches of berries and other sweets. taste is also of strong alcohol, but also has taste similar to the smell following. the body was medium, the tastes linger, and succesive drinks draw a minor acidity.

i completely applaud the creativity in the brewing--this is a recipe i could see be refined into a much more smooth (and slightly smaller) fruit beer, and even this batch will probably even mellow a little bit with age. however, as is, it's a bit much...

2.97/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

Picked up a bottle for Valentine's Day for my wife and I. Thought this bottle would bring something extra special due to the price tag. In one way it was but on other levels it was not.

A great label is what caught my eye in the first place along with the champagne bottle. Poured into a flute, this beer was red/pinkish with some very bubbly carbonation and decent head. Head seemed to disipate in the flute and the smell was hints of alcohol and very tart raspberries. By the end of the first glass, my innards were warming up due to the 18% ABV. At first sip I noticed a lot of carbonation on the tongue. Alcohol and raspberries as well. Sweet and tart was too much for me. Hard to find the "beer" factor in this one as hops seemed little to none though I understand the style. After each sip, beer goes down easier with a warming sensation each time. Carbonation seems to have a party on the tongue. Quite drinkable though I doubt my wife and I will try this one again.

serving: bottle served in a snifter

appearance: A reddish-orange hue

smell: A really strong scent of raspberries

taste: Tart Raspberries

mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel

drinkability: A great after dinner beer with a rich dessert such as cheesecake or rich chocolate.

Reminds me of Celis Raspberry back in the day before they were bought out.

3.97/5  rDev +8.5%

tried on tap. nice amber color, no head at all. sweet, strong aroma of alcohol & cherry. First sip, tastes like whole grain honey mustard, good gourmet mustard! not off putting at all...really unique and interesting. flavor deepened with cherry sweetness & warm finish. good sipping beer. wasnt overwhelming with CHERRY--whihc was a nice surprise. would be great with vanilla ice cream or short bread cookies. bought a bottle to age.

2.18/5  rDev -40.4%

I had high expectations of this beer after the owner of the local beer shop raved about it. She had me totally convinced that this beer would be the best I had ever tasted. She described it as "chocolate covered raspberries".

Not . . . so . . . much. I poured it into a glass. It had a minimal amount of head and was amber and cloudy in color.

The smell was very sweet. It had a hint of raspberry, but that was soon followed by a high alcohol smell. It smelled almost like a raspberry cough syrup.

I've had many a fruit beer in my day and others pull it off exceptionally well with genuine fruit flavors. Even though this one is brewed with raspberries is has a very artificial flavor to it. That coupled with the burn from the high ABV created that cough syrup flavor.

I couldn't get away from the syrupy feel of this beer. It was hard to describe because it wasn't like a thicker beer. It was thick but sugary at the same time.

I'm glad the woman told me she would give me my money back if I didn't like it. I did finish off the bottle, but didn't really enjoy it at all. It was too artificial tasting. It's what I would expect from the cheaper versions of flavored beer.

4.77/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I tried this beer for the first time on a release night at a local Dogfish Ale House. Fantastic. I only had one but it was wonderful. This is a sipping beer with sweet mellow raspberry taste. Don't expect strong raspberry however. The strong 18% ABV mellows the fruitiness. A little taste of hops but not over powering. This stuff is truth serum so be careful who you drink it with.

firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last