Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

A- Dull, hazy orange with a decent bone-white head, maybe an inch high (quite good for an 18% ABV beer, I would say).

S- Huge raspberry aroma, like a framboise on Stanozolol. Lots of alcohol too, as expected, and tons of sweet, cake-like malt backing the fruit. It's reminiscent of a fruitier 120 Minute, actually.

T- Hmm, interesting. I was expecting this to be syrupy sweet, but it's actually quite tart. The raspberries come through very nicely with a big, juicy flavor. I almost expected to be spitting seeds out after taking a sip. The raspberries really dominate the flavor; I actually would prefer a little malt sweetness to balance out the sour raspberry juice. The alcohol is certainly there, but it's quite well-hidden for such an insanely strong brew. The finish is remarkably dry, proving this to be a very well-attenuated beer.

M- I thought this would be syrupy like other very high-ABV beers I've had, but it's really not. The carbonation is quite high and balances out the viscosity, resulting in a nice fizzy medium body.

D- This one is tough to rate. Considering its strength, I would say that this beer is very drinkable. That being said, it's definitely a sipper and one that should be sipped for a long time. Nevertheless, I have to give it a good score here, because I imagine that it will go down faster than any 18% beer I've had before, even if that's not saying a whole lot.

The good folks at Dogfish Head continue to surprise and delight. This beer is not at all what I was expecting (a syrupy-sweet alcohol bomb) and is actually a really nice fruit beer. It's certainly not one I'll be getting again any time soon, as the price is kind of steep (although not bad considering its strength) and it pretty much has to be shared with at least one other person (preferably two or more). Still, I must say I was pleasantly surprised. If you've got the money and the curiosity to try this beer, don't hesitate to get it.

First, I bought this for my wife and her friend, neither like beer. They did not like this one, so I was left drinking this 750 ml bottle by lonesome. So, my handwriting is a little hard to read, I don't no why, maybe 18%. Anyway it is poured inot an oversized wine glass, a ruby red color. There is touches of amber along the sides of the glass. A head forms thinly on top and is is a pale pink color. The sweet scent of malt comes out at first, then followed by the fruity aroma of rasberries; there is a little twinge of alchol in there, but not too off setting. The malt is striking as the first flavor one tastes, your expecting more of a twang, like a lambic. The malt flows to the tartness of the rasberries, there also might be the slightest bit of hoppy bitterness at the end. A very dry finish, the rasberry tartness does linger on the palate, but the tingling of the carbonation blends it out of the way. Truely a unique beer, this a definite beer to have wine people to try, plus an excellent pairing with maybe a chocolate tort.

3.58/5  rDev -2.7%

pours a deep copper with a reddish hues, very light lace for a head hat sustaind the duration of consumption.
the aroma is malty, hint of raspberry, and alcohol.
the flavor is malty, carmelized sugar, alcohol, spice, hint of raspberry.
the mouthfeel is pretty full, little slippery sweet, sticks to your mouth.
beer is very drinkable but best enjoyed on a cold night.

2.42/5  rDev -34.2%

Another wacky brew from the folks at Dogfish Head. 18%? Wow. I've had the 120 min and the Worldwide Stout, so I sort of know what to expect out of this, but let's see how it goes.

The pour is a hazy orange/red color with a minimal head. To tell the truth, it's not much to look at. Smell is... Damn. I was hoping for a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock or a Frambois nose, but it's just not here. With this bottle, at least, the fruit is in the background, and the booziness takes center stage.

Taste. It's a wine. A carbonated raspberry wine.
barley and hops are nowhere to be found, and unfortunately, the raspberry flavour gets lost in the mid-palate. At the start you've got a combination of tartness and alcohol that flows into a harsh swallow and leaves my tongue with a tart berry finish.

OK, I am not digging this beer. If I want a strong raspberry beer, I'll take a Kuhnhenn Raspberry Eisbock 95 times out of 100 over this beer.

3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Tried a while ago but recently had an aged version. The appearance is a yellow with a ruby tint with a lot of haze. The smell is full of raspberries to the point of being more of a lambic than anything else. The taste was similar although had some interesting notes with a cleaner finish than I would have guessed. The mouthfeel was a bit thick for me but overall I thought this was a well made beer for something so odd.

3.25/5  rDev -11.7%

2.88/5  rDev -21.7%

From the 750ml bottle, this is a slightly reddish copper, with a big, airy head that nearly fills the rest of the wine glass I pour it into. The bouquet is a strong, but not overwhelming, rush of raspberries. The flavor too is dominated by raspberry, but there is also a distinct flavor of alcohol that pushes through in each swig.

I like the restraint of the raspberry flavor--overall this brew isn't too sweet--but I do wish that there were some second element to the flavor profile that gave this brew more variety. Once the raspberry dissipates toward the back of the mouth, the alcohol is all that's left and it's residual metallic taste isn't that pleasant.

This is an ambitious and flawed beer. I wonder if DH will continue to tweak the recipe with any future batches of this...the idea of such a strong fruit beer, with a complex palate is great. Now they've just got to work on the second part of that.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Vintage 06

A: Deep orange-bronze. No head, no lacing. I guess with a beer clocking in at 18%, that can be expected.

S: Huge raspberry blast. It's like putting your nose into a jar of jam, with booze mixed in.

T: Raspberry flavor is unreal, not all that natural tasting. The fruit is there with sugar, but not in the cloying sense. The booziness to it probably died down, but still fairly strong.

M: Medium body, for such a big beer. A touch syrupy at time, minimal alcohol burn, considering the ABV.

O/D: Certainly an interesting beer. It's a fruit beer, almost drinks like a cocktail. Not something I'd try again, but it was so unique, I'm glad I had it. Can't really recommend it, unless you want big time fruity sweetness.

2.55/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.75

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

3.35/5  rDev -9%

Happy new year. Had paired with raspberry crème Brule at the DFH New Years Eve dinner.

Served an impressive deep red color with a hint of purple, well, like raspberries. No head, minimal carbonation. Smell is of raspberry (imagine that) a hint of cherry(?) and a bit of vodka.

Taste is solvent like alcohol and raspberries. The alcohol burn is distracting and takes away from the full enjoyment of the beer. Aftertaste is more of the same. I got used to the alcohol burn towards the end. Went well with the desert!

Fresh from the tap? I recommend skipping that and buying a bottle to age for a year or two (or more…). If it settles down with time, this could be great. As is right now, it was still OK.

Hard to rate, because of contrasting likes and dislikes in the catagories. For example, the taste of raspberry was awesome, 4.5, but the solvent alcohol was a 2 at most.

Note that his is a draft review. I have herd that the bottles are good right now… they don’t have nearly the solvent quality that the draft version has. I will update my review after cracking a bottle.

2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

This was a little too extreme fruit beer, and I heard a lot of hype from my friend about it which disappointed me a little. Pours a sunset red/orange color. Smells of raspberries soaked in grain alcohol. Tastes pretty much the same but not an imitation raspberry taste, instead a genuine ripe taste. Alcohol burned my throat the whole way down, a little unpleasent.

3.6/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours out a murky brown clay color. No head and no lacing at all.

S - Semi sweet and mostly tart raspberries. Some vinegar makes it way through along with some caramel and tons of booze. Smells wonderful.

T - Tart, sour and surprisingly pretty sweet through the middle. Sour raspberries are what this beer is mainly about. Plus tons of booze. I rate this as an experimental brew.

M - Thick and syrup like with almost absent carbonation. Guess it works out alright.

O - I could see myself going after this one again. Though I didn't rate it high I think it would be a good conversation piece with guest or at a party. Not complex by any means but damn tasty.

4.4/5  rDev +19.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

I've been excited about this beer for awhile now, my brother picked up a bottle tonight and I must say it was worth the wait. The pours off reddish orange with white lacing. Smell really gets you with an intense aroma of raspberry in your face. Taste is a complicated matter consisting of a tiny hint of malt and a whole lot of raspberry. The beer has a pleasant feeling of alcohol burn ( with this much alcohol it'd be hard not to) and a finish not unlike raspberry sorbet. After reading alot of reviews that say this beer isn't raspberry enough, I have to say do you want beer, if not why not just get raspberry juice cause this is a pleasant extremely drinkable beer.

Fort from Dogfish Head Brewery