Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

Vintage 06

A: Deep orange-bronze. No head, no lacing. I guess with a beer clocking in at 18%, that can be expected.

S: Huge raspberry blast. It's like putting your nose into a jar of jam, with booze mixed in.

T: Raspberry flavor is unreal, not all that natural tasting. The fruit is there with sugar, but not in the cloying sense. The booziness to it probably died down, but still fairly strong.

M: Medium body, for such a big beer. A touch syrupy at time, minimal alcohol burn, considering the ABV.

O/D: Certainly an interesting beer. It's a fruit beer, almost drinks like a cocktail. Not something I'd try again, but it was so unique, I'm glad I had it. Can't really recommend it, unless you want big time fruity sweetness.

mostpoetsdo, Apr 16, 2011

Dawkins, Nov 12, 2013

Brown120, Dec 31, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Psychmusic, Jun 22, 2012
2.55/5  rDev -30.7%

5-6 oz. of a bomber poured on January 5th, 2012 into a Bruery tulip.

A - Really like the coloring on this one. Has the looks of a white zinfandel, only with a darker, more golden hue. Super clear and a bit polarizing. Expectedly poor retention. Okay lacing.

S - Overt raspberries, cranberries, and alcohol. I dislike using the word "medicinal" to describe any brew, but this one sort of fits the bill. Some yeast spice and slight malt grains underneath, not nearly enough to round out the dominate fruit aroma.

T - Definitely more of a liquer than anything. Raspberries are absolutely dominant. Alcohol, light pepper, and clover underneath.

M - Medium body, very low carbonation, and puree-like smoothness (I guess DFH described this one pretty accurately). Sweet, medium-length finish with enough alcohol warming in the back to rival any stout or barleywine I've experienced.

D - The intensity of the fruit, combined with the pure alcohol-warming finish makes this a true sipper. I don't know where age can take this one as far as the fruit character is concerned. very difficult for me to handle more than 3-4 oz. of this one, ended up DP'ing the rest of my glass and sealed the bottle for tomorrow, though I doubt I'll make much more of a dent.

Auracom, Jan 06, 2012
3.35/5  rDev -9%

Happy new year. Had paired with raspberry crème Brule at the DFH New Years Eve dinner.

Served an impressive deep red color with a hint of purple, well, like raspberries. No head, minimal carbonation. Smell is of raspberry (imagine that) a hint of cherry(?) and a bit of vodka.

Taste is solvent like alcohol and raspberries. The alcohol burn is distracting and takes away from the full enjoyment of the beer. Aftertaste is more of the same. I got used to the alcohol burn towards the end. Went well with the desert!

Fresh from the tap? I recommend skipping that and buying a bottle to age for a year or two (or more…). If it settles down with time, this could be great. As is right now, it was still OK.

Hard to rate, because of contrasting likes and dislikes in the catagories. For example, the taste of raspberry was awesome, 4.5, but the solvent alcohol was a 2 at most.

Note that his is a draft review. I have herd that the bottles are good right now… they don’t have nearly the solvent quality that the draft version has. I will update my review after cracking a bottle.

sacfly, Jan 02, 2006
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

DrewLikesBeer, Jan 31, 2014
3.6/5  rDev -2.2%

A - Pours out a murky brown clay color. No head and no lacing at all.

S - Semi sweet and mostly tart raspberries. Some vinegar makes it way through along with some caramel and tons of booze. Smells wonderful.

T - Tart, sour and surprisingly pretty sweet through the middle. Sour raspberries are what this beer is mainly about. Plus tons of booze. I rate this as an experimental brew.

M - Thick and syrup like with almost absent carbonation. Guess it works out alright.

O - I could see myself going after this one again. Though I didn't rate it high I think it would be a good conversation piece with guest or at a party. Not complex by any means but damn tasty.

depechemode1983, Sep 06, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -20.4%

This was a little too extreme fruit beer, and I heard a lot of hype from my friend about it which disappointed me a little. Pours a sunset red/orange color. Smells of raspberries soaked in grain alcohol. Tastes pretty much the same but not an imitation raspberry taste, instead a genuine ripe taste. Alcohol burned my throat the whole way down, a little unpleasent.

Portertime, Apr 22, 2008

jivex5k, Sep 11, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +19.6%

I've been excited about this beer for awhile now, my brother picked up a bottle tonight and I must say it was worth the wait. The pours off reddish orange with white lacing. Smell really gets you with an intense aroma of raspberry in your face. Taste is a complicated matter consisting of a tiny hint of malt and a whole lot of raspberry. The beer has a pleasant feeling of alcohol burn ( with this much alcohol it'd be hard not to) and a finish not unlike raspberry sorbet. After reading alot of reviews that say this beer isn't raspberry enough, I have to say do you want beer, if not why not just get raspberry juice cause this is a pleasant extremely drinkable beer.

hdofu, Apr 03, 2010
3.78/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from 750mL bottle into a Dogfish Head snifter. Beer was a strawberry red color, with a small, one-finger head. Light carbonation and no lacing around the glass.

Aroma was apple, raspberries, cereal grains and bread.

Taste was sweet raspberries, caramel, bread, wood and faint hops.

I'd like to try this beer with a little age on it. The alcohol is a slap in the face. Very boozy and almost overwhelming at first. Still, nice fruit flavor and syrupy mouthfeel.

drumrboy22, Jan 21, 2010

Brewer: Dogfish Head Craft Brewery, Delaware
Style: Fruit Beer
Glass: Wine glass

Presentation:
I quite like the label art: lotsa raspberries! It's not got a cork but a cap instead. Interesting.

Appearance:
Sunset colors: orange, grapefruit pink, and hazy peach. White foam and wispy lace.

Aroma:
Smells very strongly of fermenting raspberries.

Taste:
Lively carbonation is followed by an almost cloyingly sweet tsunami of intense raspberry-flavoured liquid. The sweet raspberries thankfully become a bit more tart as the sip wears on. Alcohol is prominent throughout -- making the brew hard to manage as the temperature rises.

Mouthfeel:
Great carbonation. Medium bodied. Major alc burn.

Harmony:
I actually think DFH should have lowered the ABV drastically on this one. The sweet/tart raspberry flavor is quite interesting by itself. The high alc, sort of intrudes on that experience -- forcing me to take sips when I would have preferred to experience more of the flavor. I probably won't get it again, though it was definitely worth sampling.

Bottled on: ?
Price: ?
Value: ?

BeerNemesis, May 23, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

ObiWanKushnobi, Jun 08, 2013
4.83/5  rDev +31.3%

2008 Vintage

Split 4 ways, poured into a claret.

Appearance-A vibrant goldish color. Very hazy, can't see a damn thing through it. Little head, an off white one. You can just see the sticky beer clinging to the glass when swirling it.

Smell-Aroma was amazing. Just sweet ripe raspberries. It's boozy, but nothing like WWS or 120, and I was expecting a boozy mess. Only other aroma I get is a honey like sweetness, but boy this smells inviting.

Taste-Oustanding. Just can't believe how much this beer worked. Just a crazy amount of fresh raspberries in every sip. Upfront and towards the finish, and it didn't get old. Finish was on the dryer side that made me want to keep sipping. You can really feel the alcohol running through your veins, but not so much when consuming it. I drank this at about 45 degrees i'd guess, and when it warmed the booze definitely came out more, but so did a little more complexity. Sweet honey and a good amount of caramel and toffee notes came out too. Just oustanding all the way around.

Mouthfeel-Creamy, nice carbonation. Big mouthfeel, thick and chewy.

Overall-What else can I say. I really had to find the time to drink this. Obviously your not going to drink this all to yourself, although I probably could throughout a course of a day after trying it, and loving it. I honestly was expecting a sloppy mess even w/ the 3 years of age but it was just oustanding. Shocked by all the negative reviews on this one, I want more, and I'm already working on it. Amazing.

SWMeyer4141, Nov 27, 2011

Stumpy29er, Jan 08, 2012

RWACKO, Aug 19, 2012

xseanprimex, Jan 22, 2014

IPx, Nov 16, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Older bottle (11-28-05), not worried about date though, given abv - actually hoping age would knock it down a little. Poured in a 0,3l Nørrebor Bryghus flute.

A - Sharp gleaming golden orange with hints toward pink. Very attractive. Tight fizzy head foams up nicely, but retracts quickly, with some champagne-like effervescence, though much tighter in bubbles.

N - Grainy at first, plenty of cereal, then blossoming into a mild fruity sweetness with berry and warm sugar all wrapped up. I have to say that the nose is very nice, with little alcohol and a seemingly fine balance.

T - Grainy flavors up front quickly erode into soft ripe berries, just a tinge over-sweet, mildly syrupy, but not out of character for what I expected (and definitely cut down by the alcohol). Somewhat dry and rather balanced, without more raspberry than needed, and certainly not lacking. Most substantial detraction is alcohol, which sits much too highly on the palate, fuming sharply, creating the sensation of a jell-o shot - with fruity enticing body and sharp distilled grain-like fumes hitting throat and nasal passage. A mild spice lingers after fumes die down post-sip, hinting at more depth and some of the age starting to show through, though honestly, age isn't really notable in oxidation or deepening of flavor or balance. Some decanting really helps taste here, oxidizing slightly (where it hadn't in the bottle) and breathing some of the fumes off.

M - fuzzy carbonation on the tongue with a mild slightly sticky body. Alcohol cuts, hums, and burns in different amounts at different times in the sip, and kind of interrupts and otherwise very nicely balanced feel.

D - Hard to assert a consistent opinion on this, even in my own mind. Some sips linger with a nice grain supported fruit flavor that leaves me wanting more. Others, when I hold too long, or swallow too quickly, cut with alcohol fumes, not just burning, but sharp. I find that the more I drink, the better it balances, but alcohol is notably deceptive that way. Warming improves slightly. I've had this before (a bottling date of about a year less), and recall it being richer with more balanced alcohol. A fine beer worth trying, and one I'm not remorse at having, but not one I'll likely seek out, though as fruit beers go, it's up there on my list.

lightindarkness, Jan 26, 2010

MADPolo, May 07, 2013
3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Bottled in 2008

A- Cloudy orange, no head, no lacing.

S- Alcohol and fruitiness, not too much on the smell but enough.

T- Starts with an alcohol taste very present, mid way through you can feel the warmth and carbonation, and afterwards there was little to no after taste.

M- The mouthfeel was decent during the sip but left nothing on the tongue or any after taste

D- I shared this with my girlfriend, split between two the alcohol still got to you pretty fast, it taste more like a liquor than a beer, I would say this is the least enjoyable of all the Dogfish I have tried. I would drink it again but not for a while.

Rickythejeweler, Dec 11, 2009
3.95/5  rDev +7.3%

Expensive for a beer, but considering it's ABV is well into wine territory, I'm somewhat okay with that personally.

Pours a slightly hazy amber in color (I'm really shocked it's not red at all, considering the amount of raspberries used in it's creation) with a thin creamy head that had good retention. Nose is outrageously juicy, very overwhelmingly fruity, smells of rich fresh raspberries. Taste is nicely balanced, not as overly sweet as many fruit beers, actually sort of dry, rather than the typical syrup mouthfeel. Layers of malt and tartness balances things out quite well. Strongly alcoholic, but maybe doesn't strike me quite as 18% ABV would indicate. A quite nice diversion, but not something I'd look for very often.

Slàinte!