Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros

blearbeer, Jun 12, 2013

witkovskym, Dec 23, 2011

cbhuffman, Jan 13, 2012
4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

This really shocked the hell out of me. Considering that there's not much of anything to balance the 18% alcohol, it's really quite drinkable. Any other beer near that percentage that I have had is balanced by a large malt presence or has a really thick body. This is really more like mead than beer, and any meads with that much alcohol that I've had all drink really hot.

Pours a nice color, like a more translucent cherry juice. No head. Smells exactly like cherry Twizzlers. Slight alcohol taste up front, shifts into a fruit mead taste on the tongue, finishes a bit hot, but not in an offputting sort of way. No fusel alcohols detectable, which is really a testament to the great yeast handling done by the brewer. I could sip this all night. The amazing drinkability of this and of all the microdistilled products made at the brewpub are a true testament to the skills of the brewer/distiller there (and I'm such an ass for forgetting his name...I believe his first name is Mike).

Can't even imagine how awesome this would be with a couple of years under it's belt.

Pleasepleaseplease bottle it soon!

PopeDX, Jun 27, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Like another reviewer, I wanted to like this one better than I did. The fruit is nice, but it is more in the nose than on the palate, and the kick almost overwhelms everything. It was actually better after it had warmed a bit and lost some of its carbonation. I would drink it again, but not regularly, and more to share as a novelty than for the simple pleasure of drinking it.

LiamMcFee, Jun 24, 2007

bravesandbeer, Dec 02, 2011
2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

judzillah, Jan 06, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

An amber-red, quite opaque hue with little to no head, fully as expected. Many appraisals mention a "boozy" note to the aroma, but I did not find this to be especially prevalent; those truly accustomed to barley wines and other high ABV products will find no undue surprises here. Hints of fruit/raspberries are abundantly evident, which are a credit to this product's traditional December distribution schedule - perfect for the holidays.

A medium to full-bodied mouth feel with the anticipated tingle that accompanies a high ABV offering. I strongly encourage you to swish it a bit in order to fully appreciate this. Take a moment to allow the alcohols and fruit content to permeate your palate; I assure you it will be QUITE worth it.

Taste reveals a pleasantly robust raspberry flavor with a nice interaction between the obvious Belgian Ale type base. Pair this creation with a dark chocolate, say an 86% cacao offering as I went with, and you certainly won't go wrong. While I was fortunate enough to pair Fort with a "greasier" poultry, duck, on one occasion, I prefer its interaction with dark chocolate. The raspberry notes and Belgian brewing characteristics virtually beg for an ultra high dark chocolate intensity compliment.

The bottom line? While I acknowledge that I have much to learn, if you seek to become a true beer connoisseur, as I do, appreciate the experience of this product for what it is. Is it the absolute top of the line in the high ABV category? Not yet. Will it deliciously open your mind to the possibilities of what can be accomplished when enlightened minds prevail in the brewing process? Unabashedly, yes! Respect the experience itself, as well as what you're about to get into overall, pair it well and keep an open mind and I guarantee that your "Respect Beer" mantra will be elevated to the quintessential next level.

elton044, Nov 28, 2010
2.65/5  rDev -28%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible.

Thefinerthings, Jan 26, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

cripes, Apr 17, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +22.3%

Appearance -Pinkish amber color topped by a half finger white head.

Smell -Imagine standing in a field of raspberries on a cool morning. Now multiply by 10. Slightly tart, slightly sweet, very boozy.

Taste -MMM...raspberries, funk, raspberries, booze, raspberries, malt, booze, raspberries. Not cloyingly sweet, not too tart. A nice balance.

Mouthfeel -A bit heavier than expected but the raspberry, booze, funk and tartness dance around the tongue.

Drinkability -More drinkable than expected. Plowed through the 750 mls on my own over the course of a couple of hours and never got burnt out of the taste.

An enjoyable "extreme" beer. Not for everyday but fun every now and then. Great work Dogfish Head!!!

JohnCurran, Feb 26, 2011

GMan76, Feb 08, 2012

eGodley, Aug 20, 2014
2.63/5  rDev -28.5%

Pours a pinkish red color with very little, and quickly dissipating, head. Smells of raspberries and very strong alcohol. Taste starts smooth and fruity, raspberries abundant, but quickly turns to a pungent alcohol taste that slightly tingles the taste buds. Mouthfeel is not abnormal or strange, just the flavors. I would no refuse one if offered, but would not purchase one of my own. If you're interested in it, try it, no harm in that!

darkside7268, Jan 08, 2011
2.53/5  rDev -31.3%

Presentation: 750 ml bottle, just above room temp.

Appearance: nice deep red color, minor head, as expected for this type of "beer".

Smell: Great raspberry aroma, with some sourness reminiscent of a geuze.

Taste: Way too sweet for my palate. Not a big fan of the high malt:bitter ratio. Hard to drink more than 1/2 a glass.

Notes: I love DFH, I'm a big fan of the 60, 90, 120, Aprihop, Lawnmower, etc... so I wanted to like this one. But after about 5 sips it becomes undrinkable. If you are prone to try it ... split it with some friends!

sequenceman, Jul 03, 2007
1.9/5  rDev -48.4%

Drank on 12/1/08 bottled on 11/13/06.

I was expecting a lot from this beer, but was severely disappointed.
Granted, I'm not a big fan of fruit beers. I was expecting it to taste, and smell, a lot more like raspberries for the ton it was brewed with.
It came out of the bottle a nice deep red with almost no head, dissipated fast, leaving a tiny ring of foam around the glass.
Smelled very slightly of raspberries,but not in the way I'd like. More dulled and bland then the tart brightness of fresh raspberries, also had the smell of alcohol to be expected.
The taste was not good. Decent maybe, but still an off tasting brew. The raspberries were present but the alcohol flavor pretty much covered them, a chemical taste was present.
The mouthfeel was ok, but you didn't want to keep it in their long.
Very hard to drink. If I hadn't paid for the bottle I would have gladly sent it other places then my stomach. but at the price I really tried to like it.

The second glass is better... but that's because you probably have a nice buzz after the first glass.

tribial, Dec 02, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +20.4%

Just ordered yesterday and picked up today. These bottles are stamped July. Poured into a red wine glass, almost a greenish tinge looking from the top. Fine looking from side with lots of carbonation sitting on the glass.

Smell, like a wine. Wife who doesn't like beer was asked to smell this one and she flat out said it smells like wine. Sweet, with more of a hint of raspberries than flat out berry, but as said very sweet smelling.

This would be a great tasting drink after the first one. The second glass was much smoother than the first with more fruit and floral than the first. I would hate to loose the taste with something else before, so try this one twice in the same sitting.

Savor the sip, don't drink. Keeping this in the mouth for a few seconds (or more) before swallow really allows alot more to come out.

My drinkability would rate higher, but you really can't drink this as easy as I would have liked. This may be because of my usual drinking instead of sip and savor of beers.

Really like this, only issue may be the high level of alcohol. If others think of this as a wine instead of a "beer" you will enjoy this.

chadb, Nov 26, 2008

KJRieg, Feb 03, 2012

thebeergrass, Jun 11, 2012
3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

i had this on tap as well, then opted to fill a growler to bring back up north to share...

this is a monster. there are smells and tastes of alcohol throughout. i read here some treated it as a brandy, which is accurate (as served on tap is in a tulip). in growler, it appears amber in color, but pours a slightly cloudy light reddish color with small head and little to no lacing (though this could be fault of the growler). smell is of strong alcohol, but with nice touches of berries and other sweets. taste is also of strong alcohol, but also has taste similar to the smell following. the body was medium, the tastes linger, and succesive drinks draw a minor acidity.

i completely applaud the creativity in the brewing--this is a recipe i could see be refined into a much more smooth (and slightly smaller) fruit beer, and even this batch will probably even mellow a little bit with age. however, as is, it's a bit much...

DocBrown, Jun 05, 2005
2.95/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle, dated 11/13/06 - the head dissipates quickly, leaving only an off-white ring around the top of a dark orange beer. It looks almost like an iced tea, perhaps a bit darker.

Smell is raspberry and apple. A little menacing; not terribly sweet. These are definitely green apples. Granny Smith is angry at you for some reason.

Taste is dominated by alcohol. There's a tartness that creeps in at the end, but I honestly don't get much but booze. This would be good with something that cuts that a little, like a soft and creamy cheese. The apple is a bit more prominent to me than the raspberry, with a fairly strong sour flavor.

It's fairly thin, and seems quite carbonated. Almost feels prickly.

I wanted to like this a lot more than I actually did. It's enormously strong, and I couldn't finish more than a glass or so. Would have been much better with an appropriate companion plate of some kind. I'll try this again sometime, but not soon.

Dendrite77, May 27, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +11.4%

A shame this beer. This particular bottle at least. Having just gone through my beer cellar inventory I had noticed this Fort, although being purchased in 2009, had a late 2006 production date. Originally I read the '08 for an '06 and so it is I realized for the first time I was cellaring a five year old beer. A five year old beer very high in unfermented sugar surely.

Disappointed. Unfortunately I've had too much exposure to oxidised fruit wine and that is exactly what I'm getting from this bottle. I'm sure in it's more youthful days it had a hint of Raspberry Port or Brandy. I can taste it, I can see it. A dark brown with a hint of ruby, Irish Red would be fitting. Age has killed any form of carbonation and like a geriatric bottle of red wine it oxidises almost immediately. You get a whiff of it's youth, then it's gone. Lost to the present. It's Mickey Rooney in a bottle. Drink it when it was married to Ava Gardener. Young is best, if you have a 2008 drink it NOW! It has most likely already climaxed and is on it's way to the grave.

This being said, I can drink past the oxidation. If you can overlook the vinegar and the flatness this beer has something to say, it has experience, it has a story to tell. I'm watching Citizen Kane as I drink this bottle. What a fitting analogy. My old Fort is surely on the decline, but it is a bottle that has truly lived. Not some lager. Some lager who started life in mediocrity and finished it's years in the as the same shit lager as it began. Your drinking the steady decline into hell. It's not a James Dean or a Grace Kelly, it's a M. Night Shymalan or a Steve McQueen. I'd rather drink a beer that was once great than one that was never great at all.

Twerp28, Nov 15, 2011

chasej15, May 01, 2012
4.13/5  rDev +12.2%

Picked up a bottle for Valentine's Day for my wife and I. Thought this bottle would bring something extra special due to the price tag. In one way it was but on other levels it was not.

A great label is what caught my eye in the first place along with the champagne bottle. Poured into a flute, this beer was red/pinkish with some very bubbly carbonation and decent head. Head seemed to disipate in the flute and the smell was hints of alcohol and very tart raspberries. By the end of the first glass, my innards were warming up due to the 18% ABV. At first sip I noticed a lot of carbonation on the tongue. Alcohol and raspberries as well. Sweet and tart was too much for me. Hard to find the "beer" factor in this one as hops seemed little to none though I understand the style. After each sip, beer goes down easier with a warming sensation each time. Carbonation seems to have a party on the tongue. Quite drinkable though I doubt my wife and I will try this one again.

indy2823, Feb 16, 2006

serving: bottle served in a snifter

appearance: A reddish-orange hue

smell: A really strong scent of raspberries

taste: Tart Raspberries

mouthfeel: Full mouthfeel

drinkability: A great after dinner beer with a rich dessert such as cheesecake or rich chocolate.

Reminds me of Celis Raspberry back in the day before they were bought out.

devilmatic, Jan 08, 2008