Fort - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  18.00% ABV

ABV varies from 15-18%.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-05-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Fort Alström Bros
4.6/5  rDev +25%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

first thing: i cannot believe that this is an 18% beer. way, way too well balanced. however, i'll go along with the listed ABV, for now anyway.

visual: hazy strawberry blonde. moderate head and carbonation.

aroma: raspberries. simple, but good.

foretaste: raspberry extract-like. interesting. i like it.

mouthfeel: medium to heavy.

midpalate: raspberry and hop; alcohol (assuming it is really 18% ABV) extremely well hidden. perhaps a huge hopping rate to make this so drinkable?

aftertaste: pretty much raspberry extract. dry.

you'd expect such an extreme beer to be way malty, way sweet. this isn't. kudos to DFH.

buzz is hitting me now, shortly after downing this one rather quickly. it may actually be 18% ABV as listed. but as i wrote, very, very well balanced, regardless of actual ABV. a winner!

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

Really think not driving after this one is a good idea. A 25 ounce bottle is as strong as an 8-pack of Bud. Yeah me neither...don't drink Bud.

Stopped and paid $9 at a bottleshop near Pittsburgh. Good value for 25 ounces.

Looks OK with a slight blush to it.

Looking for the fruit and it was pleasing but didn't smell too overpowering.

Taste is a tour de force. I didn't recall this was an 18% beer. I thought it tasted pretty hot for a 12%. As you get into the beer you notice less alcohol and more berry flavor that seems real and not to sweet. I like it!

Mouthfeel was unremarkably.

Drinkability- "Danger Will Robinson!". My wife and I thought it was a big time brew. If you are in the mood for a full frontal assault...party on
You could definetly get lost in this beer.

We definetly will buy another bottle.

4.18/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Big thank you to ILOVESTOUTS for sending a great brew.
Poured a burnt amber orange with minimal head. Aroma was very mild, some raspberries, spices, and slight alcohol. Flavor was very mild, with some raspberry, candi sugar, malt and alcohol. I was skeptical from the other ratings but I thought it was very good.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

My hat goes off to the (2) folks who have actually purchased growlers of this stuff. Whoo!

A: This beer wins with is it's appearance. A very inviting reddish hue, it pours and settles to leave the drinker with absolutely no lace. Looks more like a carbonated wine than a beer in my pint glass.

S: The phenols are certainly present, as they should be with any 18%. I pick up: cranberries, cherries, and subtle wet hops. This one actually reminded me a lot of Burton Baton--they both give off an unmasked alcohol aroma.

T: The taste on this beer was pretty good, but nothing to write home about. Cranberries are present initially, followed by a warming alcohol/wine, contrasted by a nice balance of hops/malt. This beer was not just insipidly sweet; this beer had a very well rounded complexity that really developed as I sipped.

MF/D: Fort is, for an 18%, pretty damn drinkable. I was expecting a very sweet, almost syrupy quality to this beer, and was pleased to find a well balanced, high content, sharing-man's beer.

4.55/5  rDev +23.6%

Pours a ruby/amber color. Almost looks like a mix of grapefruit and apple juices. Minimal head the fizzles away.

Smells of sugary raspberries, alcohol, and just the slightest hint of hops.

Carbonation is felt on the tounge as well as a slight alcohol warmth followed up by a juicy/tart raspberry flavor. Hints of vanilla and caramel come through along with a bit of spice and hops. The raspberry flavor is very natural and almost more of a candied raspberry shortcake type flavor.

This would go great with a piece of rich creamy cheesecake to finish off the night and put you to bed! One of the most out there fruit beers I have ever tasted and it is oh so good! Thanks DFH!

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

Appearance: Pours a reddish-amber hue with very minimal head or lacing -- just too much alcohol to retain carbonation.

Smell: Raspberries (obviously), but also a heavy licorice smell that advertises the abv pretty well. It smells appropriately boozy.

Taste: At first glance, it almost tastes like someone mixed together raspberry juice and scotch -- very boozy, but with enough sweetness and hops to balance a bit. There is definitely a heavy aftertaste, but with this much alcohol you'd have to expect that.

Mouthfeel: Heavy and a bit syrup-y. I was definitely nursing this a bit -- it gets overwhelming in bigger gulps.

Drinkability: Between the high alcohol and the liquor-like taste and feel, I'm not sure I could drink more than one glass. But why would you need to?

2.32/5  rDev -37%

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

we were all excited to try this one and with a whopping 18% abv the dogfish head fort seemed like it might be one for the books. Maybe we built it up to much, but this beer was a little of a dissapointment. The advertised "over a ton of rasberries" fell a bit short; however, they did come through nicely in the smell. At first we didn't notice the alcohol but after a few sips it starts to build up in the back of the mouth. The mouthfeel kind of bounces back and forth between crisp and syrup. All in all a decent brew, but not worth the 15.99 a bottle. Side note: as it is warming the taste really does improve with a sort of rasberry puree.

4.34/5  rDev +17.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1 Year old bottle poured into a snifter glass

A: Deep orange-brown amber color. Two finger head pour, small head lingers around the rim. Less raspberry color than expected for such a very berry-based ale.

S: Booze and raspberry, but mostly booze. Alcohol content is obviously very strong, but does not create a terrible imbalance. Sweetness and berry flavor nicely compliment the high abv profile

T:Warming abv with tons of raspberry and sweetness, but in a way that keeps true to Dogfish head style. This is not your convenience-store-mainstream microbrew-raspberry ale. Very satisfying, lingering after taste.

M: Nice slick mouth coating of sweet, but boozy raspberry. To repeat myself, balance is surprising for such a strong berry flavor and alcohol content.

O: Better than I expected. 87/100 on the BA scale in my opinion. After aging this for a year I let me expectations fall to an over fruity thick wine as opposed to a raspberry ale. I would certainly buy this again if Dogfish head brewed it. America Strong ale with a nice berry profile (albeit from a man with plenty of berries in his diet).

3.83/5  rDev +4.1%

A - Pours a clean, deep orange color

S - Bright raspberry and alcohol

T - The alcohol is hidden quite well, with raspberry and malt predominant. Can seem a bit sweet and cloying.

M - Carbonated and warming as it goes down. A little thick and syrupy.

D - For sharing a bottle with a friend, I definitely recommend it. But the alcohol in it will creep up on you given how high alcohol it is.

2.9/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

A: It poured a very cloudy amber with a pink hue. Beautiful looking glass of beer. There was pretty much no head at all and the little it had dissipated fast.

S: Lots going on in my nose. Tons of fruity aromas. Seemed to have a tart smell, kind of weird feeling in my nostrils.

T: WOW. So boozy, and definitely all raspberries. Very sweet, a little too much for me. And by little... I mean a lot.

MF: The strong flavor tingles in your mouth. Almost feels like a raspberry fizzy candy. I don't think it drinks well at all, solely based on how much booze the flavor has.

O: I'd say it was worth trying and was great with a good meal but I'm a little disappointed in how much I had to spend to try it. Definitely not getting it again unless I hold a beer tasting with my friends.

4.4/5  rDev +19.6%

4.08/5  rDev +10.9%

This really shocked the hell out of me. Considering that there's not much of anything to balance the 18% alcohol, it's really quite drinkable. Any other beer near that percentage that I have had is balanced by a large malt presence or has a really thick body. This is really more like mead than beer, and any meads with that much alcohol that I've had all drink really hot.

Pours a nice color, like a more translucent cherry juice. No head. Smells exactly like cherry Twizzlers. Slight alcohol taste up front, shifts into a fruit mead taste on the tongue, finishes a bit hot, but not in an offputting sort of way. No fusel alcohols detectable, which is really a testament to the great yeast handling done by the brewer. I could sip this all night. The amazing drinkability of this and of all the microdistilled products made at the brewpub are a true testament to the skills of the brewer/distiller there (and I'm such an ass for forgetting his name...I believe his first name is Mike).

Can't even imagine how awesome this would be with a couple of years under it's belt.

Pleasepleaseplease bottle it soon!

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%

Like another reviewer, I wanted to like this one better than I did. The fruit is nice, but it is more in the nose than on the palate, and the kick almost overwhelms everything. It was actually better after it had warmed a bit and lost some of its carbonation. I would drink it again, but not regularly, and more to share as a novelty than for the simple pleasure of drinking it.

2.38/5  rDev -35.3%

Raspberries and booze, that's what you'll get out of this one. Pours pinkish with a white head. Smells like it tastes, like raspberries and alcohol. The taste is dominated by the berry and the very warm alcohol. I was hoping for some more complexity with this one, but that's about it. Surprisingly I found this one easier to drink as I went along, that may have had something to do with the 18% strength. This one should almost be treated as an aperitif rather then any traditional beer. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't I'd buy it again for the very steep price they are asking for it.

4.15/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured into an oversized wine glass.

An amber-red, quite opaque hue with little to no head, fully as expected. Many appraisals mention a "boozy" note to the aroma, but I did not find this to be especially prevalent; those truly accustomed to barley wines and other high ABV products will find no undue surprises here. Hints of fruit/raspberries are abundantly evident, which are a credit to this product's traditional December distribution schedule - perfect for the holidays.

A medium to full-bodied mouth feel with the anticipated tingle that accompanies a high ABV offering. I strongly encourage you to swish it a bit in order to fully appreciate this. Take a moment to allow the alcohols and fruit content to permeate your palate; I assure you it will be QUITE worth it.

Taste reveals a pleasantly robust raspberry flavor with a nice interaction between the obvious Belgian Ale type base. Pair this creation with a dark chocolate, say an 86% cacao offering as I went with, and you certainly won't go wrong. While I was fortunate enough to pair Fort with a "greasier" poultry, duck, on one occasion, I prefer its interaction with dark chocolate. The raspberry notes and Belgian brewing characteristics virtually beg for an ultra high dark chocolate intensity compliment.

The bottom line? While I acknowledge that I have much to learn, if you seek to become a true beer connoisseur, as I do, appreciate the experience of this product for what it is. Is it the absolute top of the line in the high ABV category? Not yet. Will it deliciously open your mind to the possibilities of what can be accomplished when enlightened minds prevail in the brewing process? Unabashedly, yes! Respect the experience itself, as well as what you're about to get into overall, pair it well and keep an open mind and I guarantee that your "Respect Beer" mantra will be elevated to the quintessential next level.

2.65/5  rDev -28%

Was very excited to try this brew.

A:Cloudy appearance, golden with a touch of red. Almost like an amber unfiltered wheat.

S:Smell was not what I had hoped. Very strong smell unfortanatly more familier with cheap wine than a high gravity beer. Obvious fruity tones with a malty underlying scent. The alcohol content was very apparent.

T: Again matched the smell. Unique but reminded me of a cheap white wine much more than I had hoped. Very intense alcohol taste but finished well, malty and sweet.Barely wine type sweetness and sourness, a little more hops would help.

M: Low carbonation, bitter, dry, but finished well.

D: Not for the casual beer drinker. Far to strong of alcohol flavor for casual fruit beer drinkers and too unique for more conservitive beer lovers. For a seasoned High gravity man, went down fairly smooth.

Overall: I was glad I tried this. I am a huge Dogfish head fan but this one I wouldn't have again. Too pricey and just not as good as I had hoped. I will say however that given the task at hand ( ton of raspberries) they did about as good of job as possible.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%