2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
View: Beers (138) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,474 | Reviews: 1,603 | Show All Ratings:
BumpyAZ

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

2014 bottle. Best part of this beer fresh is the aroma. Lots of dark fruit, a subtle sweetness, slight maltiness, a nice hit of alcohol, reminiscent of bourbon and wine at the same time. Taste is overpowered by the alcohol burn. Also a nice pop of dark fruits; slight hints of chocolate and roasted malt. Has the potential to be a very unique and complex brew but probably needs some time for the alcohol to become less overpowering.

04-18-2014 03:47:27 | More by BumpyAZ
Franziskaner

Missouri

4.21/5  rDev +0.7%

I'm cracking a 2009 vintage courtesy of a great trade with I_Buy_MI_Beer. I saw a trace of dark brown head that dissipated almost to nothing within 30 seconds of the pour. Jet black in color with no chance of light penetrating it. I get notes of plum,raisin,molasses,black licorice,and roasted barley in the aroma. Mouthfeel is thick,chewy,and oily. The flavor is immediate and intense. There's a barrage of plum,raisin,and molasses on the front of the palate. It's quickly followed by a burning sensation on your tongue and then a massive burst of alcohol in the fade. I'll never forget having this many years ago out of the bottle on an Easter and recall it catching me unawares as I had not noted the ABV prior to finishing it.

04-07-2014 03:05:08 | More by Franziskaner
emyers

3.6/5  rDev -13.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a Founders snifter. Bottled on date 12/11/13.

Appearance: Pours black with a one inch light brown head. Extremely impressive head retention on this given the abv.

Smell: Roasted malt followed by tons of dark fruit. Some smoke sneaks in and is quickly buried in sweet caramel and alcohol. While the alcohol definitely makes its presence known in the nose, it's definitely expected given the abv and is ultimately more of a positive than a negative.

Taste: Similar to the smell, but a bit...messier. The strong dark fruit presence is there along with the roasted malt, which provides a nice base. Sweet caramel malt and alcohol continue to build and eventually take over. The alcohol isn't as much of a problem - again, given the beast of a beer that this is an alcohol presence is needed - the sweetness on the other hand becomes cloying in a hurry. If it was toned down a bit the flavor would be excellent, but it isn't. Certainly still good, but very rough.

Mouthfeel: Extremely full-bodied, low carbonation level. When combined with the overly sweet flavor profile, I would classify it as "syrupy."

Overall: Take would could be a phenomenal beer and pour some simple syrup and alcohol in it. OK, that's probably overly harsh, but damn this is sweet.

04-05-2014 03:02:39 | More by emyers
Misanthropy_Sipping

Nebraska

4.86/5  rDev +16.3%

Got inspired after last night having the Horizon Tokyo Black, and really wanted to have this back to back to see how each stood up. I've heard a lot of good out of the World Wide from my brother and several other people.

Appearance. Pours black. Very little head, a very nice tan tone. Right around the rim it has a slight reddish amber hew. Looks nice, just as hoped. Couldn't have imagined it not being black and sucking all the light out of the room.

The smell is exceptionally pleasant. Just this beautifully sweet light roasted coffee and sweet cocoa scent. There is a hint of sweet bread and dough. A smudge of smokiness and booze. Maybe a very small, cloying citrusy note. A bit woody as well.

Taste is fabulous. The sweet darker chocolate is very present. It isn't all out cocoa nib dark and dry on this, but a more pleasant... maybe 72% cocoa bar taste. The light coffee and brown sugar is paired perfectly with the chocolate. There is this nice raisin like taste and a hint of citrus. probably from the hops. There is just a very small hint of smokiness to it. As it warms the booze comes out and almost spices it up in a way and really helps the warmth through the mouth and in the throat. There is also an herbal, almost cola like taste that resonates in the back. Something I really enjoy in this beer. It is robust, yet refined and mellow.

The mouthfeel on this behemoth is surprisingly smooth and creamy for such a high ABV. If I hadn't known before hand, I would have never guessed. I would have put it at 13% at the highest and no more. It isn't dense and thick, but it is a sipper. I personally enjoy a bit more thickness and density in my big stouts. But this is still quite satisfying.

Overall, what a beer! What a stout! As mentioned, rich and robust, yet still refined and mellow. It is on the sweet side with the cola tones and the raisiny sweetness. It's a tad sticky. I really enjoy it, it is certainly a great experience of a beer. I would have no problem having this again. I was really glad to have the World Wide and Horizon Tokyo Black... back to back... What an experience. Another great Dogfish Head brew.

04-04-2014 04:07:15 | More by Misanthropy_Sipping
cdkrenz

Wisconsin

4.95/5  rDev +18.4%

This is a 2011 release that I had cellared above 45 degrees for 3 years.

This is one of the most unique beers I've ever had and thoroughly enjoyed. This is an incredible beer. The aroma itself is a sweet apricot, soy sauce, Worcestershire, BBQ, and smoke. The scent is smooth and easy and inviting and awesome. The flavors are right along in the same notes but a hair deeper in the roasted malt area. The texture is light and airy and smooth going down. And for a beer that is 18% abv, that's incredible.

04-03-2014 01:53:59 | More by cdkrenz
ilikebeer03

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a snifter. bottle was purchased in nov. 2012. Unsure of exact bottling date.

A: pours very black. not quite jet black. not much head (may have to do with the age on the beer) but leaves a nice tan ring of head around the glass.

S: really unique. i get rich, dark chocolate as the dominant smell. a bit of alcohol on the nose, but not in an unpleasant, burning way. dark fruits present.

T: Like the nose, I get rich, dark chocolate as the dominant taste. really delicious. A very unique taste, unlike any stout I've ever had before (and I've had numerous; i love them). Lots of sweetness which is to be expected from the massive amount of malt in the beer. Not too much bite from the hops, again, may be related to the age on the beer. A nice roasty/coffee after taste linger in the mouth. Alcohol is very slightly present. astonishingly well hidden.

M: great mouth feel. thick, but not too thick, carbonated perfectly.

O: this is an incredible beer. I'm disappointed this is the only one I have. and even more disappointed that it is not distributed to Texas. Will definitely seek out this beer. It is incredible and incredibly unique.

MUST TRY!

04-02-2014 20:22:21 | More by ilikebeer03
EvoRich

4.85/5  rDev +16%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

First had this on on tap at The Brewhouse in Camp Hill, PA. I thought it was ok at the time. A bit too hot. A friend of mine ordered the same next time around. He loved it and quickly became obsessed. After a few weeks of him bugging me to split a case with him (not exactly cheap), we stumbled across some at Wegmans. Priced individually at $10 per bottle. Yikes. But hey, what the heck. Luckily, the girl at Wegmans rang them up at $3/bottle...whoops. We got a deal! She caught on when we came back for more.

Appearance: Poured straight down the center into a snifter, more head than you'd think for a 18%(ish) beer.

Smell: Alcohol, bourbon, alcohol, hot, alcohol, burnt wood, sweetness, dark fruits. Delightful.

Taste: This, is beyond beer. The burn from the alcohol, again, burnt wood. Almost tastes like liquor. Not something I'd drink frequently, but when you do, it's amazing. Taste better as it warms. Every time I drink one, I like it more

Mouthfeel: This subject is hard for me to review. I mainly feel the burn of the alcohol.

Overall: I have not had an aged WWS yet. The WWS's I've drank thus far are very young. Very hot. And I like the alcohol burn. It's a nice change of pace from the sub 10%ABV beers I typically drink. The alcohol burn supposedly goes away with age (hopefully not too much). I plan to save a few for a few years. I'm actually now considering splitting that case with my buddy. It's expensive, but I look at it as an investment. I don't feel rushed to drink it.

04-02-2014 00:57:04 | More by EvoRich
StoutHunter

3.46/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout a couple weeks ago for $10.99 at The Lager Mill. I've been wanting to try this beer for a while and I thought 120 Minute IPA was pretty good, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label is pretty simple looking, it's the same as their other simple labels and it isn't that eye catching. It poured a very dark black color that didn't let any light come through and it had a very thin ring of lacing that left just a couple spots behind and it faded away after a few minutes. This was a pretty nice looking beer, it was pretty much what I would expect from a really strong stout.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a slight brown sugar like aroma to it and it's followed by lots of malts which impart a roasted malt, slightly charred. sweet malt and dark chocolate aromas with a light coffee aroma showing up in the background. Up next comes the booze which seems to stick out the most and there's also a slight nail polish remover aroma showing up with a light earthy hop aroma on the finish. This beer had a nice aroma, but I thought the booze was too overpowering and I could have gone without the nail polish remover aspect.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it start off with a higher amount of sweetness that has a slight brown sugar like aspect to it followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart all the aspects that they did in the aroma, but they seem to be a little lighter with the roasted malts, chocolate, and sweet malts sticking out the most. Up next comes the alcohol which is big and in your face. it's pretty warming and there is also a very slight nail polish remover and fussel alcohol aspect to it. On the finish there's a light earthy hop flavors followed by a medium amount of bitterness with the alcohol and sweet malts showing up in the aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I thought the alcohol was just too overpowering and it was a little heavy on the sweetness.

M- Not too smooth at all, pretty sweet, boozy, rich, fairly filling, full bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was ok, but i wish it was smoother with less alcohol heat.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and nice example of a very strong stout, it had some things that held it back from being as good as it could be, but I still thought it was a little enjoyable and it made for a decent sipping beer. This beer didn't have good drinkability, it wasn't smooth at all, it was pretty sweet, boozy and filling, but the taste still did a decent job at holding my attention. One was almost too much for me and next time I would probably split it with someone, there's no way I could drink more than one. What I liked the most about this beer was the roasted malt aspect, it was pretty nice and what I would expect from the style. What I like the least about this beer was the drinkability and that the alcohol wasn't hidden that well, I found this to be much more boozier than 120 minute IPA and that beer was even stronger. I would buy this beer again, but I don't think I will be drinking it fresh. I would recommend this to people who like really strong beers. All in all I thought this beer was pretty solid, it had some nice aspects to it, but when it comes down to it I think the alcohol and the sweetness prevent this beer from being as good as it could be. I would love to see how this beer ages, I feel it's a great candidate to improve over time and I have a 2012 bottle that I will be trying in a couple years. This isn't my favorite Dogfish Head beer or my favorite strong Stout, but it still isn't a bad beer, it's just rough around the edges and I think that age might help that out. Nice work guys, keep on pushing the limits.

04-01-2014 01:46:21 | More by StoutHunter
bryanbullock

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

On on epic beer tasting day with hop202, we did a world wide mini vertical, with a 2011 and a 2013. This is a top notch beer right out of the gate but also one of the most age-able beers.

appearance is used motor oil black with chocolate colored micro bubbles lacking the rim and emanating from the bottom of the class. The front completely dissipates leaving a solid black beer with no lacing.

In the 2013 the alcohol smell is in your face, with a light caramel backbone. In the 2013 the alcohol smell is almost completely masked, and what is left is a smell almost port in nature, I get hints of red fruit like a wine.

The taste accurate reflected the smell, but the 2013 alcohol smell is not present in the taste. The taste of of a malty backed stout with with hop equilibrium.

Effervescent mouth feel on the front with a thick viscosity.

This is a bad ass beer, I am going to age the shit out of some of these and in a few years have a vertical to remember.

03-30-2014 22:09:14 | More by bryanbullock
MNishCT77

4.29/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

10 oz. pour into a snifter at the Falls Church, VA Alehouse, drank over 30 minutes at the brewery

A: 3/3 - black coloration, no clarity/light getting through, received with an initial subtle glass lacing that persisted throughout the drinking, large alcohol legs

S: 10/12 - intense roasted malt character - coffee/espresso, dark bitter chocolate, stone fruits; some mild hop earthiness/grassiness likely instilled by English hops (Willamette, EKG), large alcohol aroma

T: 16/20 - on the front of the tongue, there is an intense coffee/espresso bitterness with some dark chocolate sweetness; the complexity takes over in the middle of the mouth with more specialty malt character - figs, dates, stone fruit; big alcohol burn; finishes generally dry and inviting

M: 5/5 - one of the biggest bodied ISs that I've ever tasted - incredible alcohol and malt fullness is carried with moderate carbonation

O: 9/10 - this was once the quintessential IS for me; it's still very impressive, but I have enjoyed it more with some age on the bottle when the alcohol has mellowed and the malts have grown in complexity such that the fig, date, vanilla, etc. qualities compete better with the roasted notes; my other complaint is the high price tag, especially when there any many as good if not better big ISs on the market

TOTAL - 43/50

03-29-2014 19:34:13 | More by MNishCT77
hreb

Washington

4.49/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle with neither proof of vintage nor proof of proof. Safe to say this is a 2013 or 2014 vintage, though. Served in chalice glass. Just as black and motionless as expected. Aroma is surprisingly delicate: roasty, with aromas of coffee. Dark and inviting, suggesting a lot of complexity lurks below the surface.

And indeed, the first taste does not disappoint. Bourbony, oaky notes of grain and vanilla, followed by ribbons of caramel through the middle. It's like you can taste each wave of successfully darker roasted malt, going all the way up from amber Crystal malts up to dark roast chocolate malts. And let's talk about the waves of heady alcohol burn. There's no unpleasant ethanol astringency in the nose or in the front, but the middle of the palate has a bit of a bite, and then there's a more intense burn in the aftertaste.

It's hard to describe this in terms of beer. Where Sam Adams' Utopias compares unfavorably to straight brandy, World Wide Stout compares favorably to bourbon. That's a good thing. I also find it hard to evaluate this beer (such as it is) as a stout. It's dark, and it's strong, and the mouthfeel is fantastic, but I think at this level it defies Imperial Stout. How about, Cascadian Dark Barleywine?

A treat worth seeking out despite the price.

03-29-2014 03:02:18 | More by hreb
mfnmbvp

4.18/5  rDev 0%

12 oz. bottle, with bottled on date 12/11/2013 printed on the bottleneck. Another big beer to me from Dogfish Head. No abv listed anywhere on my bottle, but BeerAdvocate lists 18.00% abv, so we'll go with something around there. Either way, the high abv is destined to doom me.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a dark woodsy mahogany brown; opaque black in the glass with a half a finger of chocolate brown head. Conjures a full finger of head when given a nice swirl in the glass, and leaves behind nice fat sticky scattered lacing, and some alcohol lacing. Looks very nice, but you would never know it was the monster that it is just by looking.

S - Smell is very unique - very dark and roasty. Silky dark chocolate, fudgey, creamy, some soy sauce presence, notes of barrel, vanilla, rum / alcohol fumes. You can tell there is a lot going on, but it isn't super phenomenal.

T - Taste follows the nose. Very interesting. Lots of dark barely / chocolate fudge / vanilla, and just a bit of dark roast in the background. Sweet, sugary, and lightly syrupy. Warming alcohol presence, maybe even a little hot.

M - Feel is smooth, silky, and creamy. Chocolatey, roasty, and bitter on the finish. Warming alcohol. Adequately carbonated. Thick, full-bodied.

Overall, a nice big beer from Dogfish Head, but I think some serious time in the cellar would do this beer some good. It's a nice beer fresh, but slightly abrasive and hot with the alcohol. Definitely stands on it's own, but it's not as good as some of the other high alcohol stouts I have had. It would be heavenly to see what the bourbon barrel aged version of this would be like, and it would be lovely if they would bottle it.

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout ---4/5.

03-18-2014 01:38:18 | More by mfnmbvp
hops202

Poured into a Stone snifter. Bottled on 12/13/13

Appearence is incredible. Smell is delicious. Taste is unbelievable. Overall it is the best stout you can get your hands on. I have had a few that have been aged for 2+ years and they only get better with time. This one is still fresh and the taste blows everything else out of the water. Along with BCBS and BCBS variants - this is as good as it gets. If you find these buy them all immediately and save as many as you can. Godbless dogfish.

03-17-2014 23:47:50 | More by hops202
Roguer

Connecticut

4.56/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Dark black brew, opaque, nearly purple-hued. Solid, 1 1/4 finger dark tan head; firm, excellent retention, nice solid lacing. Beautiful.

Boozy and fruity aroma, strong on red grapes, cream, and barley. Not very roasty; just a hint of cocoa at slightly-above-refrigerator temperature.

Creamy and slightly sweet flavor, similar to the nose: chewing on barley, some cream, dark fruit (grapes), light booze flavor (alcohol evaporation). Again, very little roast, some earthy hops (but not a ton), and chocolate, while present, isn't the main flavor - although more chocolate comes out as it warms. Very nice.

Unbelievably thick and chewy mouthfeel, even when colder than ideal. Simply unreal. Super thick. A little warm, but the hints of alcohol in no way betray the massive 18% ABV; could easily pass for 10%. Slick, coats the mouth.

Wow, this beer deserves the hype. More potent and complex than any BA stout I've had, and exquisitely crafted.

03-16-2014 16:39:22 | More by Roguer
Rutager

British Columbia (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -12%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

2010 bottle that's been in the cellar since I bought it fresh at Bottleworks.

Appearance. Pours a dark brown, nearly black in the glass with a quarter finger of khaki-brown foam that sticks around for a minute or two before becoming a collar.

Smell. Boozy port and wood, some dark malt and cherry, maybe a little dark rum.

Taste. Big molasses, a bit of chocolate syrup, rum and a touch of raisins and dark fruits. Boozy for sure.

Mouthfeel. Viscous but surprisingly not all that sticky. Low+ carbonation.

Overall. Glad to have tried but wouldn't buy again.

03-08-2014 03:59:23 | More by Rutager
andrewjraab

4.13/5  rDev -1.2%

A - Oil Slick black with a khaki brown head. After each drink a curtain of oily black brew clings to the glass.

S - malts, fruity, smokey, caramel. You can smell the alcohol that is present, and warms your nostrils.

T - Nice blend of malts, caramel, chocolate, coffee. Warms your soul as it coats your stomach. Highly drinkable considering the 17-23% alcohol.

O - Glad I was able to get my hands on one of these. IF it wasn't so expensive I'd like to lay down a few of these for aging purposes.

Notes - purchased from Copper Vine

Shared with CP AKA PDF

03-08-2014 00:37:15 | More by andrewjraab
stuppy

Maryland

4.36/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: thin tan head that disappears quickly(due to high alcohol), black

Aroma: Sweet Malt, dark fruit, chocolate, coffee, alcohol

Flavor: lots of dark Fruits, , chocolate, roasted grains, coffee, light vanilla, med bitterness, but balanced towards sweet malt, alcohol

Mouthfeel: med-high body , med low carb

Overall: High alcohol stout balanced more towards malt than bitterness. Lots of dark fruits. Despite the high alcohol not harsh. Expensive.

12oz bottle with laser etching bottled on 12/11/13

03-04-2014 01:27:39 | More by stuppy
Donco

4.55/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

2013 vintage poured into a Stone tulip glass. Yes, this beer is not cheap: either in price or in quality. I was hesitant about cracking open my first bottle as I had heard it was better "aged". Well, I decided to try one of my two '13 bottles now and I am not sorry.
This beer is complex, tasty and a very slow sipper. Enjoy the jet black appearance and dried fruit smell as you begin your journey. On my first sip I encounter raisins, coffee, char and a pleasant alcohol heat. The taste is complex and a delight for any imperial stout lover. Mouthfeel is full and sticky. This glass took me more than an hour to complete and as it warmed, I encountered more complexity and flavors. I have a 2009 bottle that I will try in a couple of weeks and compare to the one I just enjoyed. I am also on my way to purchase a few more bottles before they are gone. Price be damned! It is unique and delicious.
One of the better non BA stouts I've had.

03-03-2014 23:20:59 | More by Donco
ToddHolder

4.7/5  rDev +12.4%

12 oz. bottled 1/15/2014. Wow. How to even describe this... More like a liqueur than beer. Alcohol heat on the nose. Pours deep black with a dark tan head, moderate lacing. Tastes incredible, not as boozy as I had anticipated. Still a good amount of alcohol heat with dark roast, chocolate, toffee. Just so good.

03-02-2014 21:17:40 | More by ToddHolder
gonzo000

4.19/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

a - dark brown in color with nice head

S. Good Aroma

t. - excellent stout - full body and taste. Middle of the road - no chocolate or coffee flavors, but solid all around

m - very good.

O. Recommended highly to all stout fans. One excellent beer.

02-27-2014 04:29:29 | More by gonzo000
MalaveFC

4.01/5  rDev -4.1%

18% ABV but with minimal burn and maximum roasted stout flavors. The balance of this beer is just thoroughly impressive - there are many other beers that clock in at lower ABVs but with a lot more alcohol burn in the finish. In fact, it's probably up there with the JW Lees barley wines as the most dangerously sippable massive beers available today.

02-25-2014 16:19:36 | More by MalaveFC
TheBrouMaster

Mississippi

4.91/5  rDev +17.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

A - Poured out a dark brown/black with no light in sight. Produced half a finger of brown head that dissipated quickly but left a nice lacing on the glass.

S – Nice alcohol aroma hits first followed by coffee, toffee and big roasted malts. Dark fruits running in there as well.

T – Dark chocolate and big roasted malts hit first. Coffee flavor follows through but not overwhelming. Touch of sweetness in the mix but it is not cloying. Dark fruit and raisins run along the palate. Has some nice caramel and vanilla notes.

M – Medium to full bodied with little to no carbonation. Nice and chewy. Coats the palate well. Light alcohol warming at the finish.

O – Its good, its so damn good. Warmed up nicely. Flavorful. Tasty. It’s a winner and a new favorite!

02-11-2014 23:47:12 | More by TheBrouMaster
JerzDevl2000

4.61/5  rDev +10.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Anyone else live here in the northeast? Then you know what this winter's been like. It sucks.

Wait, it's worse than that.

It's like one of those nightmares that scares the shit out of you, as you wake up and realize that you weren't really asleep and that it's actually happening to you. That's right, no way out.

None.

It's under those circumstances that I picked up a bottle of this in Totowa. No, I didn't expect this to help me escape from the frozen wasteland that my normally mild-mannered suburban wasteland has become, but I bought this with the hopes that like any other good beer, that this would give me a chance to kick back and escape before reality gave me another cold slap in the face.

Boy, did this exceed those expectations.

The pour was relatively tame, as there wasn't a lot of tan head to offset the rich, currant hue. There was hardly any lacing to be seen either as this poured thinner than I would expect for a Stout that was this heavy and potent. That's when everything kicked into high gear, though.

Not a lot to the nose as there was currant, deep fruits, some apple peel, and a hint of bitter chocolate to lead me on. "No problem", as I thought to myself. One sip and...whoa, what the...

Yeah, it was a lot to take in....which is what I love in a beer that's this strong and nuanced.

Toss in some barley, bourbon, a hint of caramel and peat stickiness, and Belgian-candied booze and that's when this became elevated to a whole new level. Hardly any hops and carbonation here, which gave this beer the look and feel of Port. That rich, that smooth, and that slow a sipper, this certainly was. So many flavors to take in but there was no rush to take it in as the alcohol was hardly detectable by taste but certainly discernible deep down. I could certainly feel the warming buzz take over as I made my way through this, which wouldn't really describe how long it took for me to savor this. A smoky woodiness was mostly waht remained in the aftertaste as the candied sugar and fruits also lingered softly before fading away in a silky ooze down my throat.

To be fair, this was strong and it's not something to joke around with. A bottle of this cost a ton but it's well worth it when you realize that it's worth more than the 2 or 3 beers that you could normally consume during the downing of the contents of this bottle. If a Stout could be brewed in Belgium and have all of the carbonation and thickness removed from it, this would be the end result. Lucky for us, this was only imported from Delaware for anyone lucky enough to get his or her hands on it. Nothing on the shelf could ever aspire to be this, which only heightens the significance of this beer. There isn't a cure for the dead of winter but this was as close to one as I could ever hope to find, making this a relative bargain since it's nearly made me forget that that groundhog in Pennsylvania saw his shadow. Arguably the strongest beer in Dogfish Head's portfolio and a clear must-have for anyone who loves what beer is capable of. Absolutely beautiful!

02-07-2014 08:27:01 | More by JerzDevl2000
lmperialChad

Colorado

4.33/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I had Dogfish's World Wide Stout on tap at Freshcraft in Denver. The World Wide Stout pours a deep brown with lighter butterscotch coloring around the edges and a nice persistent thin light brown head. The smell has notes of roasted malts, charred wood/charcoal, dark fruits, and molasses. The taste has notes of molasses, roasted coffee, bittersweet chocolate, raisins, anise, honey, caramel, burnt wood, smokiness, and deeply roasted/charred malts. The flavor is really complex with an abundant amount of charred smokiness throughout. There is definitely some alcohol heat on the finish, but certainly less than I would have expected for 18% ABV. Really interesting and complex beer. The mouthfeel was very thick and chewy. I thought the smokiness/burnt wood/charcoal flavors were a bit too intense to put it in my upper echelon of imperial stouts, but this really is a fantastic and interesting beer, especially considering that it clocks in at 18% ABV. I would definitely recommend Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout to anyone that likes big, bold imperial stouts.

02-05-2014 02:31:51 | More by lmperialChad
weltywm

4.85/5  rDev +16%

Enjoyed during the Super Bowl. Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: Deep dark black, with about one finger of cappuccino colored foam. Tons of lacing on the glass, and the head lasts forever.

Smell: Mostly bourbon/alcohol, with burnt caramel and cooked fruit.

Taste: So delicious. More burnt caramel with toffee and sugar-coated plums. This is balanced out with oak, bourbon, and French Roast coffee. Holding it all together is a very present note of alcohol, though it still doesn't taste like its ABV.

Mouthfeel: Man, this is chewy. It's oily and slick, and the finish lasts forever.

Overall: It's really really good.

02-04-2014 02:13:57 | More by weltywm