Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,683 | Hads: 4,446

A: Rich, bright dark coffee brown under a 1” tan foam collar that dissipates to a thick film.
S: Dark dried fruit, traces of coffee, chocolate, and a hint of tartness.
T: Creamy complex blend of prunes, raisins, chocolate and coffee with a bitter chocolate finish.
M: Big, luscious creamy chewy body with below average carbonation.
O: This beer has stealth alcohol – no way does it drink like it has 18% abv.

12 oz bottle, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a beautiful, completely opaque, pitch-black color with two fingers of caramel/chocolate-colored head that quickly dissolved away into a lacing of foam that completely covered the top of the beer.

Aroma: Wow! Massive, rich, complex, earthy, inviting, bready, aromas of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, some freshly roasted coffee beans, and a touch of smoke. There is also a lot of aromas of brown sugar and toffee, dark molasses, dark chocolate, salted caramel and a hint of licorice and vanilla.

Taste: Wow! Just, wow! A fantastically delicious beer! Strong, rich, complex, earthy, inviting, bready, flavors of roasted malt, imparting notes of freshly toasted dark bread, some freshly roasted coffee beans, and a touch of smoke. There are also a lot of brown sugar and toffee, dark molasses, dark chocolate, salted caramel and a hint of licorice and vanilla. Finally, there is quite a bit of dried cherries and prune-like flavors.

Mouthfeel: Chewy and extremely smooth as there is no carbonation what-so-ever. With an ABV of 18%, there is a pleasant alcohol warmth on the palate, but much less of one than I was expecting. The alcohol is very, very well masked.

Overall: This is a spectacular stout! Earthy, rich, complex, roasty, malty, slightly fruity and sweet, and absolutely delicious! World Wide Stout is one of the best non-barrel-aged stouts I’ve had, certainly up there with Avery’s the Czar and Out of Bounds Stout, Evil Twin’s Love You with My Stout, Sierra Nevada’s Stout, Founders’ Imperial Stout, Great Lakes’ Blackout Stout, Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy, etc. Another stellar beer from Dogfish Head! I love this brewery!

2003 bottling.
Appearance: Insideous, inky-dark, light-sucking blackness... as if peering into the depth of the hoary netherworld. More carbonation than I expected, with a slightly broken 1/8" creamy espresso cap and generous smatterings of gooey, drippy lace.
Smell: Malt,malt,malt! Roasty/toasty/smokey. Fusel alcohol menaces but does not overpower. Licorace, espresso/french roast coffee, candied dark fruits. A distinct buttery/banana softness rounds out the initial alcohol harshness. Hints of bitter chocolate, and oakey/vinous notes. Superb!
Taste & Mouthfeel: STUNNING! This is perhaps the most intriguing brew taste I've encountered. Are we sure this isn't Imperial Stout? Viscous, lush, chewey (knife/fork/lobster-bib chewey) sweet creamy malt with caramelized/burnt sugars, candied/alcohol stewed raisins, plums, cherries at the front. Carbonation level is low and finely bubbled... perfection. The top is rich with malt slickness and a burning then soothing alcohol warmth. Although my unworthy palate couldn't detect the hops, I trust they are there as the finish dries considerably leaving a soothing warmth, oaky/roast coffee bitterness and semi-dry molasses/plum aftertaste.
Drinkability: Based on what I'd read about this beer, I was afraid of it. I can honestly say that I could not put it down and was constantly aware that the 12 ounces would soon be over. Entirely drinkable... I will buy as many more as I can afford tomorrow. This beer (in any vintage I can find) will be my Christmas & New Year's choice for years to come. If it were possible to rate it higher, I would. Dogfish Head... you guys are gods (I'm not worthy!). Beer review #100 for me: I couldn't have made a better choice. Excuse me, I have to go change and take up smoking...

Oh boy, here we go. $7.29 12oz bottle pours a deep brown with the thinnist of heads disappearing almost immediately. Yes. Aromas of port, cherries, ginger, fig, other assorted spices. Absolutely wonderful. Extremely thick with minimal carbonation. The first sip sends a wave of rich malt and alcohol goodness through my mouth and down the throat. Toasted malt, bitter chocolate, prunes, cherries, grape... the flavors go on and on. Strong alcohol presence, but nowhere near indicative of the 23%. after 2 sips and my entire body is melting into a relaxed state. Sticky sweetness in the finish. There is no choice but to sip this one. What I liked best is that this expensive little bottle at first seems so unassuming. Only after the first sip do you realize the beast that has just been unleashed.

Look up 'aroma' in the dictionary and there should be a picture of this stout. Taste is not too far behind. Yee haw!

Pour is black as about any stout you will ever see. This will be a bit of a mixed review. Only been drinking bottles aged 2 years but the one in front of me now is fresh. The fresh bottle is much more carbonated and produced a pretty thick head. The aged bottle not as much. Still a great looking beer. Smell is heavy solventy alcohol on both aged and fresh. Dark sweet fruits dominate the nose with a dose of chocolate. The coffee bitterness no where to be found. Taste on the aged is much more sweeter with not bitterness. I get mostly chocolate covered raisin with tobacco. Also the Belgian quality with candied plum. Outstanding to say the least. The fresh actually does have a bit of roastiness to it. Not near as harsh as people make it out to be. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy. And for a stout man is this beer easy to drink. My absolute favorite! Never thought I would like a beer as big as this. This is something they could market as a limited brewer only release for people to travel thousands of miles to get. Kudos to DFH for being a pioneer in the industry. One of my rare all 5's.

09' Vintage. Have some 07', 08', and 09'. I've put this off because this is one of those brews that is well...transcendent. Too good for me but screw it, the 18% is making me bold.
appearance: Deep and dark middle with a reddish exterior. Tan head that recedes to near nothing.
smell: Oh yea...just perfect. The Taylor Fladgate 40 year old Tawny? That's amazing. This isn't that, but like it, it's better than the thing it is should be. Yes, there's sweetness, but tempered in the the right way. I hesitate to degrade this gestalt with specifics. Ok, there's something like molasses, and vanilla, a dark stout depth.
taste: I wouldn't be happy if i had to drink only 1 beer for eternity, but forced to choose, this might be it.
I see that some of the venerable folks on this site do not have a single perfect score. I respect that and this fact gave me pause.
That said, I can't think of a single way this beer could be improved.

Pours jet black, how you want it, with tan head to top it off that disperses quickly.

Smells is strong, almost a smoked, mixed with chocolate hint.

Taste was great. Chocolately, a bit bitter but not off-putting at all.

Mouthfeel was just right. Lower carbonation you expect from stouts, but enough to tingle the tastebuds.

I lost a lot of faith in Dogfish head after Namaste and their IPAs, but this has rekindled my faith in them. Hate the style, not the brewer, these folks know what they are doing, and if stouts are your thing, pick up a bottle of this.

Finally cracked my 2006 World Wide Stout that I bought from the brewpubs Treasure Chest. Had it wrapped in aluminum foil for years. Poured into snifter

A. Black as night, with a mocha rim around the edge. Long tan head that won't quit. Beautiful sticky lacing on sides.

S. Chocolate, soy, Irish soda bread, currants, and earth smack me right in the nose, no alcohol to speak of. Looks like this has aged nicely.

T. Absolute heaven. Subtle chocolate stays. But it tastes like the 98% cacao stuff. No booziness to speak of, just layer after layer of malt and barley and chocolate.

M. Velvety and smooth with a lingering feeling that you just let a block of chocolate completely dissolve.

Overall: Truly one of a kind, WWS isn't normally this refined, this wonderful. Highly recommend giving these 5 years before cracking.

Un - freaking- believable. Just a huge, huge beer, with tons of flavors all melding together into pure joy. But I get ahead of myself.

Poured on-tap at the Blind Tiger NYC, appeared black in the glass, with little to no head. No good lights by our back corner for checking out the highlights (if there were any), so I went straight for the sniff/sip tests. Honestly, there was so much going on with this beer (and it was 5 days ago...5 long days without another one of these to warm my soul), all I can really give is impressions: warmth, fruity (cherry? orange?), alcohol mingling through. The sip was unbelievably warming, confirming all the smells, but with a nice streak of alcohol warmth reminding me that this beer does NOT mess around. Not at all sessionable, but a great drink none-the-less.

Chocolately, espresso-ey, velvety goodness, with a surprising amount of carbonation which really helped to keep this from going down like stout syrup. Insanely drinkable...

OMG this is so freaking good. Having a 2014 vintage. Can see light through the top half inch. I really wish it was a bit darker in color, but other than that, perfection. Plums, figs, raisins on nose. Huge abv on nose.

Taste's sweet and massive. Big brew here. So much taste going on here. Does not finish hard for an ABV. So smooth, without knowing I would say it was around - ABV.

It has drink-ability, at . Just amazing.

Vintage WWS
Bottle date 1999 (I think this was the first year)
Sampled at one of our wonderful Wichita beer tastings

A: Black, but not too thick. Slight carbonation. Still has a little bit of head, eventhough it is 9 years old.

S: Very slight oxidation, sweet raisins, dark cherries, slight vanilla.

T: Perfection! Fruity and sweet with lots of raisin coming through. Nothing like a stout anymore.

M: Creamy, chewy, smooth, warming.

D: I could drink a bottle of this every day. Too bad that was probably my only chance to taste it.

Thank you Rob for sharing this wonderful beer.

Beer pours a dark, non-transparent color. Aroma has hints of rich,dark chocolate/irish cream to it. Taste is somewhat sweet and delicious with the chocolate showing more, giving way to a backbone of alcohol. Rich and chewy in the back of the throat. Dry. Would make a perfect dessert beer. Strong, yes, but it doesn't shy from drinkability one bit. I would buy this if it ever showed up around here. Then again, I've never reviewed a Double stout.

Impressive still.

Bottled in dec, 2013.
Enjoyed in sep 2015.

Well, it looks like most imperial stouts.

WOW! This is a boozy masterpiece. Are you sure it's not BA?

A 12 oz. bottle, even at 18%, simply isn't enough. I pick up a few of these every month and have never regretted paying $9/bottle.

Smooth, with tons of "character"...making every sip a real treat.

It's perfect- not much else to be said.

Pours a pitch black with about a half finger of coffee colored head. Head didn't last long and left no lacing. The aroma is very strong coffee with a hint of alcohol sweetness in the background. The taste is also the coffee/alcohol sweetness. Its also not heavy in its texture, which it easily could be, considering. The 18% ABVis not pronounced and this is easy drinking for such a big stout. The only downside is how much it costs for a 12 oz. bottle.

Bottled 11/14/08

This is nice! Pours a really deep opaque coffee brown leaning slightly towards red. an actually really unexpected nice dark tan head as well that recedes pretty quickly leaving clouds on top

Smells heavily of dark fruits and dark chocolate. almost "belgian-like" in the fruity notes. moderately heavy alcohol hitting the nose as well. Smells incredibly flavorful, and incredibly unique as well.

Wow, tastes like some kind of massive chocolate stout-quadrupel hybrid. Super-intense dark fruits wrapped thickly in smooth chocolate. Quite a lot of sweetness too, and the blend between sweet fruits and bitter chocolate/roasted malts is just beautifully executed. I don't know if I'm crazy but it tastes very belgian. Alcohol is certainly present to a desirable level, but how they managed to tame it to this degree is amazing. It burns at about the level of an average belgian quad. Very, very good taste. There is nothing else out there like it!

This is just an incredibly smooth and thick beer and yet the carbonation comes through wonderfully. It is both thick and dark, crisp and refreshing. Regarding drinkability-- you'd better only have one of these. However, it is such a rewarding experience to drink that yes, I do consider it extremely "drinkable!" There is seriously nothing else like this beer that I've experienced. I will be getting several more of these when I get the chance!

Has a terrific balance of potency and smoothness, and finishes with notes of caramel that leave you delighted and wanting more.

Each 11.2 o.z bottle is best sipped and savored for a nice hour-long sitting. It is comparable to Brew Dog’s "Tokyo", but has a slight edge over it due to the fact that there is literally no pungency to this stout.

Incredible. This is world-class stuff.

the '06 version of my all-time favorite. Let's see how this one tastes fresh. Bottled on 10-10-06

12 ounce bottle poured into a snifter glass.

A - Hard pour yields a pitch black liquid with a one finger dark tan head. Head shrinks but leaves a nice cap on the brew.

S - Alcohol comes at you along with some wine like fruit characteristics. A tiny hint of chocolate also resides in the backdrop.

T - Great roasty, chocolatey malts here along with some fruit character. The alcohol taste is well subdued and the balance of flavors is incredible. I've got to say this year's WWS fresh tastes the best I've ever had it. More of that roasty chocolate malt taste than in the years past I've tried.

M - As always a smooth, full mouthfeel. Excellent feel.

D - Unbelievable. The complexity is ridiculous as in all years past with WWS but I really think the chocolatey flavor being more pronounced right from the first sip has taken this beer into a class by itself.

What can I say but exceptional all around. Now I understand why dfh gets 9.00 for a 12 ouncer. Served in a Guinness pint glass because I couldn't find my beer stein. Smooth pour so no head.

A- OMG it's black like motor oil. The only apparent light that escapes this is a faint tinge of reddish brown around the outside of the glass. Almost no lacing.

S- I really needed a better glass for this one. Since the glass is WIDE open not much of the scent is trapped at the top. Black licorice and some spice that I can't quite put my finger on.

T- Sweet upfront but the alcohol hits at the back. More black licorice, some figs, currants. Kind of nutty but the taste is so fused with everything else that it's hard to tell.

M- Silky smooth, thick and clingy stays with you a while.

D- Well I could drink one or two of these in a sitting because I love all things stout but this will obliterate your palate for a while.

It's a distinctive flavor that every stout lover should taste at least once. I think I'll get another and cellar it for a while. At 18% abv this one should mature quite nicely.

This is a monster of a beer. Pours a dark black with a tan head. Many scents in the aroma including, roasted malt, chocalte, coffee, dark fruit,etc. Unbelievably smooth taste given the 18% abv. Every sip reveals something new. Chocolate, coffee, roasted maltiness, licorice, fig, etc. This is my favorite beer from Dogfish Head.

A special Dogfish Head tasting at Zeno’s bar in State College. I opted out of the larger tasting so I could savor more of the World Wide then just a 4 oz serving. It was on tap and filtered through vanilla and espresso coffee beans prior to being served in a 10 oz chalice shaped glass.

Appearance - Served a deep –deep brown ,nearly black, color with a brown billowy head. The head faded slowly over time. Just from the look you know it was thick. The body of the beer seemed to hang on the glass both when the head faded, giving very nice lacing, as well as when swirled. It was a wonderful sight.

Smell – The aroma was huge upfront with an amazing coffee and vanilla aroma. It was a sweet delicious smell that excited and stimulated. Sweet chocolate aromas started to develop more toward the middle of the aroma and mixed wonderfully with the roasty coffee and vanilla. While at 18 % abv there was really no alcohol/boozy aroma; the roast, coffee, vanilla and chocolate aromas were so strong and enticing that no alcohol could be detected.

Taste – What else can be said, but Wow!!! The taste matched the aroma amazingly and pleased with every sip from start to finish. Coffee and vanilla met the taste buds with some potency, but were soon meet with an equally, if not stronger, chocolate. The three flavors were the base, but were mixed with more sublet dark fruit, brown sugar, and caramel flavors as well. The experience overwhelmed the tastebuds with an amazing intensity and complexity of flavors. While intense and complex, they melded together perfectly, almost seeming as though they were all just meant to be one “super” flavor.

Mouthfeel- Thick, viscous, and smooth. It coated the mouth with a perfect feel. It was smooth like silk, yet stimulating due to the thick feel. The carbonation was perfect – not over-effervescent to take away from the smoothness, but just enough to stimulate. Amazing.

Overall – This is by far the greatest beer I have ever had. It is strong at 18 % but does not taste that way in its booziness. Instead its incredible body and flavor make it a beer you just want to sip over the long haul; one to experience over the longest amount of time possible. These features coupled with its wonderful look and aroma make the whole drinking experience one that will ever be difficult to top. Thank you Dogfish Head for the wonderful brew and thank you Zeno’s pub for serving it up to me perfectly.

Bottle dated October '06. Wow, this is serious. It's so heavy and strong that it doesn't even pour pitch black. It pours like a port wine, with a deep red hue, but has a thick, deep brown head like any good stout. The head was actually darker at the bottom and became lighter towards the top.

The smell is crazy, with a lot of alcohol, roasted malt, spice, and dark, sugary fruits as well as hints of espresso. Dark fruits and roasted malt really dominate and you can't help but vocalize that a few times before even taking a sip. These characteristics are present for the entire length of time the beer is in the glass, they don't fade when the head fades.

It really isn't as strong as you think, which is great. I was almost intimidated by this brew, but it has surprised me by being extremely well balanced. I'm sure a lot of the strength has been subdued from being almost a year old, but the flavors are so smooth yet so robust. It's almost like I'm chewing on fresh, roasted malt.

The mouthfeel and drinkability are off the charts. This is unlike any beer I've ever had and perfects every aspect of a beer. The carbonation is almost nonexistant which gives it an incredible, velvety smoothness. It's so complex and flavorful but not overwhelming and after a 12oz. bottle, it isn't filling and hasn't destroyed your taste buds. The one-time experience is worth the price of the bottle, which in my case was $8.99, so don't hesistate to pick it up. You'll find yourself trying to write a detailed review because you don't want to short-change such a great beer. And after you write your review, you still want to keep it to one word and you can't find any other word besides "wow." I have to give this beer a perfect 5.

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout poured black with very little head, it smelt and tasted of chocolate, and hops. The overall taste was out of this world, this may have been the best beer I ever had, fantastic, even though its a stout it was easy to drink, and the high ABV may be the only thing stoping you from having more. Overall a beyond fantasic beer, a must have.

I have had 5 different years of this. It is hands down the best non-BA American Imperial stout there is. High ABV amazingness. Age does this beer wonders.

What can I possibly say about my experience drinking this beer? To simply review it based on the 5 points would be an insult and waste of time. This brought to light everything that it truly means to be a beer lover. Any schmuck can pour a glass of decent beer and drink it down, maybe appreciate some of the flavor. Yet it is the experience of drinking, the environment you are in that creates transcendent moments of beer drinking, and this was one.

Poured into my Palm glass and drunk while watching a music dvd late at night (Sigur Ros if anyone cares), the music, the flavor and, admittedly, the ridiculously high abv, combined to make this the best experience drinking a beer I have ever had, and will be very hard to top.

After the first few sips the noticeable boozeyness completely disappears. The alcohol is still there, but it has morphed into something completely different, and wholly unrecognizable. The flavors are incredibly complex, it is almost impossible to believe there is nothing more than malted barely, hops, water and yeast in this. Beyond that I have nothing more to say. There may be better gargantuan stouts out there, but I'll never have a drinking experience like this again, and that is what counts.

Poured into a Stone snifter. Bottled on 12/13/13

Appearence is incredible. Smell is delicious. Taste is unbelievable. Overall it is the best stout you can get your hands on. I have had a few that have been aged for 2+ years and they only get better with time. This one is still fresh and the taste blows everything else out of the water. Along with BCBS and BCBS variants - this is as good as it gets. If you find these buy them all immediately and save as many as you can. Godbless dogfish.

Update - 2007 Vintage - Note this was drank side by side with 2013 vintage.

Alcohol is certainly less oppressive and everything has blended well. Certainly much better with age. Seven years on this have certainly done well.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery