Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,683 | Hads: 4,446
1.06/5  rDev -74.4%

Vintage 2010

A: Pours black as night with excellent clarity. Despite vigorous pour, not much head production. Collar of chocolate milk foam.

S: I, um, have tried this beer on three occasions. And I always get a weird grape laffy taffy nose mixed with harsh alcohol. Spicy at the back end.

T: wow, the alcohol is almost unbearable. The esters in here are also quite offensive. I just can't understand how people enjoy this beer. I can't wrap my head around it.

M: For the style - thin as black coffee. Plenty of carb. My mouth waters, but in the format that the beer makes me want to vomit.

O: I just can't do this. DFH puts out some of the best and most innovative beers in the United States, but this is shit for me.

1.12/5  rDev -72.9%

Well since I suffered through a bottle of this I guess I might as well review it. Not much else to say other than malt and sweetness that was totally overwhelming. I'm usually not one to ask for more hops, but this beer needed them. I generally like stouts and porters and tend to stay away from IPA's and other 'hoppier' beers.

A- Appearance was average, just really dark.

S- Alcohol and...some more alcohol

T- Sweet syrup and...alcohol. Nothing complex like one usually finds in porters and stouts.

M- Left a syrupy residue that I had to wash out with some Alaskan Amber.

D- If I hadn't paid nine bucks for this I wouldn't have finished it.

1.4/5  rDev -66.2%

2005 vintage bottle, poured at cellar temperature into an oversized snifter.

Fizzy short-lived skim of a tan head that soon is nothing more than a thin circle of bubbles around the rim of the glass. No lacing. Body at first seems near black, but held up to light reveals some reddish highlights.

Very sweet nose. Chocolate-covered cherries seem to be the primary aroma, with vanilla and something along the lines of corn syrup. A bit of dry cocoa mercifully provides a minor bit of relief from all the sugar, but it's not very appetizing.

Unsurprisingly, it tastes every bit as sweet as it smells, possibily moreso. The dominant cherry character now is more remiscent of cherry cola. This is a beer seriously in need of some toasted and burnt malt flavors. Again, vanilla and a general syrupy sweetness. Clingy/syrupy mouthfeel 'enhances' the overwhelmingly sweet experience. On a positive note, the alcohol is quite well integrated; even at this high ABV, it's not hot at all.

Overall impression: I'm just not into sugar bomb beers, and wouldn't recommend this one. It may be less hot aged than fresh, but it sure as hell isn't any less sweet. Took me an hour to drink half before I drainpoured the rest.

1.42/5  rDev -65.7%

Pours a deep pitch black color with a thin brown head and no lacing. Smells of rum raisins and hot messy alcohol. Not much else. A little rum raisin in the taste and then a huge burst of A1 Sauce or soy sauce. Maybe the beer needs a lot of age or something to become palatable. Mouthfeel is fine but drinkability is poor.

1.48/5  rDev -64.3%

This is a candidate for the worst beer I've ever tasted. (American macros notwithstanding).

A- Looks good, but not much head.

S- Smells like nail-polish remover. How appetizing is that?

T- I first tried it in a British mug, then poured it into a North Coast Brewing Co. brandy snifter-style glass. It tasted sickly sweet and awful, either way. Way too much alcohol. Warming it doesn't help.

M- For the supposed style, it didn't have much mouthfeel.

D- I am a huge fan of Imperial Stouts, (Old Rasputin is my favorite), Barley Wines (Bigfoot rules!), and Belgian Strong Ales (Trois Pistoles, Chimay Blue, Gulden Draak). This is the opposite of any of those, in quality.

So far, I have hardly been impressed by Dogfish Head. Bigger isn't always better. This is truly a low-point in my beer tasting.

1.52/5  rDev -63.3%

HIGHLY disappointing. I'll take you through the experience then discuss.

12 oz bottle > Snifter

A - Pours nicely: dark brown with some tan head. Looks good

S - EEK. Soy sauce stout.

T - Yep, soy sauce. Alcohol and soy sauce. NOTHING ELSE!

M - The back-end is borderline palatable ---- high ABV stout. Poorly carbonated

O - Couldn't get through the 12 oz bottle. Offensive to the senses.

After trolling the other reviews, I think I may have bought an infected bottle. I checked the date and it was not too old. I was with several other avid beer drinkers and they concurred that this brew is offensive.

I would be willing to try it again, but this experience is a bit unsettling.

1.6/5  rDev -61.4%

Smells of rubbing alcohol and hydrogen peroxide.
Very dark is the only good thing about this uh drink.
A very one dimentional alcohol and burned something flavor.
Has the mouthfeel of a cheep mixed drink.

I love porters, stouts and imperial stouts.
This stuff is none of the above!

1.62/5  rDev -60.9%

As a dogfish head fan, I was extremely unimpressed with this beer. While the appearance was excellent, as expected, the aroma and taste were well below expectations. There is a tremendous amount of unfermentable dextrins in this beer. The extreme sweetness was almost unbearable. For the price, it was a huge disappointment to not even be able to finish the bottle.

1.68/5  rDev -59.4%

I know a lot of people will disagree, but this beer was "unbearable". It poured a nice black color, no carbonation that I could notice. I could smell the alcohol 5 inches from my nose. My first sip produced a "whiskey" grimmace. This was just painful to drink. Tasted like powerful cough syrup. I am a big fan of high ABV beers, but this was to much. The last 1/4 glass was just agony to finish. I needed a Prelude to wash the taste out after.

1.68/5  rDev -59.4%

11/2009 vintage. Poured into a tasting glass.

Pours motor-oil brown, and motor-oil consistency. Low carbonation and minimal head.

Smell is not-quite vile, but pretty close. It's a bit reminiscent of a nursing home- a combination of cleaning supplies and urine. Extremely medicinal. There's a touch of nondescript sweetness and soy sauce, but they almost don't belong.

Taste is surely boozy, but not in a good way. The booze is more of a rubbing-alcohol flavor, with a touch of steak sauce to mellow it out. I imagine this is what NyQuil would taste like with a shot of vodka and a splash of A-1 sauce. That's the best I can come up with. Not diggin' it.

Considering all of these off-putting flavors mixing together, the taste is clean and doesn't leave much of an aftertaste. So it has that going for it.

Man, this was disappointing. Why bother making this beer at all? Just to say you could, I suppose. It reminds me of something we might have come up with at a sleepover when I was a kid... we used get into teams, and see who could mix up the most vile drinkable liquid from (edible) household items. I still can't eat mustard because of one of these concoctions. This brew fresh must be dreadful.

2/2012 UPDATE: I felt the need to revisit this review after sampling 2004 and 2005 versions of this brew at Extreme Beer Fest. Those well-aged versions of this brew were phenomenal, obviously far better than the 2009 on which I based this review. However, I felt that the sample sizes were too small to update the scores here. In addition, I don't think it's necessarily appropriate to rate a beer highly if it requires 7 years of aging to reach it's prime. In any event, the 04 version, sampled in 2012, was mind-blowing.

1.71/5  rDev -58.7%

I should start by saying that I'm not a huge fan of stouts, especially anything particularly high alcohol or oaky. That said, I usually enjoy at least a taster to explore the complex flavor profiles.

Not this beer. As far as I'm concerned it was 18% ABV soy sauce... the nice, thick, mouth-coating Chinese soy sauce. Blech.

I let it sit on the counter for about an hour before I got the strength of will to drain-pour. A sad moment indeed.

1.75/5  rDev -57.7%

The pour is nearly black in color with a thin off-white head. Oh wow that’s harsh. Intense booze, rubbing alcohol, and acetone just start things off on the wrong foot. The roasted malt is there in there as well. The flavor is just cloyingly sweet, but at least it doesn’t have an overwhelming acetone and adhesive character. I wouldn’t ever have this again.

1.79/5  rDev -56.8%

I was pretty disapointed with the World Wide Stout after really enjoying ALL of the other DFH beers.

The initial smell was such an intense funky alcohol scent that I thought the bottle had gone bad. Maybe it had, but either way the alcohol content in this stout overwhelmed any other flavor that might have been there.

The other high alcohol beers from DFH have much better balance where EtOH isn't the only thing you smell and taste. I won't be paying $10 for this one again.

1.79/5  rDev -56.8%

Bottled on 11-17-09 shared by Andy and poured into a tulip. This one pours an oily black color with about a finger of bubbly dark tan head that settles down almost right away.

Rubbing alcohol and rubber are the first things that come to mind on this. Seeems to be a little bit of rich chocolate in the background of the aroma but in the end this one smells like a magic marker. This is a sweet syrupy beer; a little bit of cherries and chocolate in the aroma but this is simply a sweet alcohol bomb.

The body is full and sticky. It's hot and simply unpleasent.

In the end this one simply does nothing for me. I don't know see any appeal here. Brewers, please stop brewing gimmicks and make decent beer.

1.86/5  rDev -55.1%

Poured into DFH Signature glass on 3/12/12

Bottled on 11/14/08

Pours a medium dark brown and though it's quite dark in the glass, grape juice colored highlights are deeply entwined throughout. I was surprised by the nearly two finger head of foam topped with loose bubbles. However, the head drops and retention is thin with a few clumps of lace.

Sugars and such overrun the aroma. While there are toasted overlays, most of it is just stick-sweet and burnt. Molasses, brown sugar, prune, raisins, and some dusty cocoa. There are other tones as well - baked bread (alright) and air freshener (not alright). Swirling the glass dredges up a alcohol note similar to nail polish remover.

One sip is all it takes for the heavy, boozy alcohol to swarm the palate. Burnt molasses and prunes take up most of what's left. Too sweet and too messy. Weavings of oxidation.

The feel is odd. Aside from being taxed by the gnarly booze, it's wrought with sticky sugars that make the body seems more pronounced than it really is (it's not particularly full). Alcohol slickness is a pale substitute for proper viscosity.

The alcohol is far too harsh and makes for an unpleasant taste and feel. Beyond that, this thing just doesn't taste very good at all.

1.86/5  rDev -55.1%

Bottled 10/10/06 - Aged six months until I couldn't take its presence in my closet any longer.

A - Black ichor with a monsterous head that lingers down to an extremely dense frothy brown cappachino foam with a decent ring of lacing left on the sides.

S - Malty. Molasses, black patent malt, chocolate and a lot of alcohol.

T - Boozy. A bit of sickenly sweet smoky chocolate that is accompanied by a medicinal/fusel alcohol. The aftertaste is medicinal alcohol and burnt sugar. Rather cloying - in fact, the only reason it is not oppressively cloying is because the searing effect from the fusel alcohol fumes.

M - Thick, smooth, drying from alcohol, a tad gummy in the mouth as well - let's not forget the "hard liquor"-esque alcohol burn on the finish.

D - This is 18% - there is no way this could be considered as a drinkable beer. I am already a bit drunk and I have half the bottle to go. It isn't pleasant really. It also isn't an enjoyable experience. I had this once before and thought it was pretty awful. I gave this sometime to cool its head but to no effect. The only way I will try this again is if offered, and even then, only then if the bottle has been sitting for a couple years (perhaps decades) - although frankly, I don't see how age could help this brew. Definitely not worth the money.

1.87/5  rDev -54.8%

Before you read this review, please not i was extremely excited from the time i got the bottle till i smelled it.

A. Dark with a minimal head which faded quickly. Left a small ring of foam around the glass.

S. Balsamic vinegar! First and foremost. I smelled a strong smell of alcohol(should of guessed at 18% right.) This beer has just become intimidating.

T. Sweet, almost sickly so. The first sip is not very alcoholic, very sharp tang with a lingering after taste. Not exactly what was expected from the smell.

M. Sharp almost painfully powerful presence in the mouth. No good food pairings come to mind.

D. Not again. a good specialty brew for what it is(an very high alcohol content beer) But i bought 2 and I'm thinking to put the other away for awhile till I'm feeling more adventurous.

All in all i don't know if my expectation were to high, but this was not up to the hype, for nearly $10 for a 12oz bottle i wanted something mind blowing.

1.9/5  rDev -54.1%

I must be missing something because everyone seems to love this beer (and, for that matter, Dogfish Head, which I also don't seem to "get").

I'm not up on my tasting formalities, so I'll forgo the usual format and say this:

+ Extremely malty. Not necessarily a bad thing on its own, but in this case it was overwhelmingly, sickly sweet.

+ "HOT". The dominant flavor was that of alcohol. If I wanted that, I'd reach for my scotch cabinet.

Any time I have to pour something out, there's a problem.

1.92/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured into a tulip. Bottled on November 17, 2009. Pours black with a little bit of carbonation that goes away quickly. Just a few bubbles remain.

The aroma is straight alcohol and bad vegetables. Any roasted aroma is very faint. This does not smell good.

The taste starts out sweet with a hefty dose of chocolate and mocha. There is some dirty vegetable and alcohol in the finish. There is a little bit of molasses in the middle. This is an improvement over the aroma, that much is certain.

This is medium to medium large in body. There is average carbonation.

I don't understand this beer or others like it. I like a hint of booze in a 14% brew, but this is too much and smells like sharpies. I doubt I will finish my half of the bottle.

1.92/5  rDev -53.6%

Served from a 12 fl oz bottle into my maudite snifter.

Pours a black color with a half inch mocha colored head that disappeared rather quickly only leaving a small ring left on the outside edges of the beer.

Whew!!! Strong alcohol aroma comes right at you. Apart from the strong alcohol smell I get toffee, vanilla, roasted malts, leather, dark chocolate, and cocoa.

Man oh man, this has a really BIG alcohol(almost liquor like)taste upfront that smacks you in the face if your not prepared. The dominating alcohol taste is making it hard for me to taste any other flavors except some really roasted malts with a dry wood like finish.

Mouthfeel was bold and in your face(like a shock). High dominating alcohol taste.

Well I sure as hell did not realize this was fucking 18% alcohol until after I reviewed it. Gee no wonder this has a dominating alcohol taste. No way in hell would I ever have more then one of these and in particular this beer does not do much to try and mask the alcohol. I need something that is not to dominating in alcohol taste. Do not get me wrong I do like strong beers and my highest being 13%, but when all I can really taste is the dominating alcohol, this does not please me.

1.96/5  rDev -52.7%

Bottle from 2010 poured into a tasting snifter.

I brought this beer with me to a tasting w/ label removed as a "surprise beer"... however, it didn't look too stout-y to me either. Dark brown at best w/ predictably no head.

Aroma is what people have said over and over: nail polish remover and roast. When cold (or with an unaccustomed nose?), the beer is overpoweringly acetone like but partially transitions to its roasty side in time. Taste follows the nose with notes of solvents, coffee and roast.

Perhaps because of its high alcohol, this beer doesn't seem very thick. Compared to alcoholic beverages of similar strength (port), the body is medium at best. Overall it's not bad and much more bearable later on. I have heard good things about this with age... I hope to luck into a bottle someday. But I sure am not buying this at ~10 dollars. For less than twice the price per oz., Black Tuesday is an infinitely better example of an extreme stout. This one was... weird.

3, 2, 2, 3, 1

1.96/5  rDev -52.7%

The beginning is the same as the end.

Dark Brown slickness as placid and flat as a glass water. Sugar. Dark Sugar. Blackstrap molasses without the bitterness and dryness. Liquid Sugar. Sugar. Rubbing alcohol's little bother. Grape juice from 100% concentrate. Sugar plums but no fairies. A little "prosit!" from a Belgian yeast cell. Grape Jolly Ranchers melted to a sauce and then reduced to a quarter of original volume. More Sugar? More Sugar. "Roasted malt" in quotation marks. A radiator implanted in my stomach. And somehow a bowl of Chocolate ice cream tasted less sweet...

This was awful. Points for making it, though.

1.98/5  rDev -52.2%

A= pours a dark black with slight ruby highlights when held up to the light. A small thin skin of a head rises out of it and falls fast to leave no lacing. Actually a little dissapointed with this for how big of a beer it is.
S= quite boozy and nail polish like...there's some barley in it but mostly nail polish smell again very unimpressed.
T= much better than the smell. At first it has a nice sweet barley taste lots of dark toasted malt but then the alcohol hits and the ever present nail polish taste. This is the first beer that has ever burned my tongue... even the 120 min wasn't this bad.
M= dry as a bone. Burns my tongue.
D= low. The date on the bottle is 11/14/08 and this is way way way to hot. Maybe some age. Pretty bad now.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

A: Poured a very dark brown/black, definitely not the darkest stout ever. Looks damned syrupy in the glass, almost no head, however what little head there is appears to be a dark brown. Lacing is totally absent. This stuff looks scarey.

S: Smells nice actually. I get big whiff of balsamic vinegar right off the bat, probably just the sweet smells mixed with that high alcohol content. But behind that freight train of scent, I smell dark fruits like raisins, plum, figs and prunes. Also noted a bit of a woody brandy-like presence. Smells nice, but still a little intimidating.

T: WOAH. What in God's name is this!? It's sickly sweet like too much aspertame in a perfectly good cup of coffee. I can't taste anything but balsamic vinegar and alcohol. This is an assault on my taste buds and my gag reflex.

M: Bitter aspertame overdose, that's all I get. Bitter-sickly-sweet and pretty horrifying (to me). Thick, syrupy and almost oily.
I am literally gagging, and sipping lightly only seems to prolong the torture.

D: I could see this being drinkable in a year... better yet, 5 years. I could even see myself sipping on a tiny glass of this as it is. But this stuff either needs some aging or a price adjustment, because if it doesn't get better after a few years, then that means all it has going for it is alcohol content. My reflexes are having a hard time accepting that this is in fact a beverage.

Notes: No disrespect to DFH, I love their other brews, and I'm sure someone out there likes this stuff. However, I'll be shelving my other bottle for a few years before I even think about it again.
At least I can say I tried it.

2.01/5  rDev -51.4%

I am a huge fan of DFH and their uber beers. But I found the wws to be almost undrinkable. The aroma was sour with heavy alcohol. The color was brown black with little to no head. The flavor was sour and very hot alcohol. I had it out of a snifter, but I would have rather have saved the 10 bux. I love the palo santo and the raison d extra is one of the best beers that I have ever had, but this beer was next to undrinkable. I almost gagged while drinking it.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery