World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,393 | Reviews: 1,695
4.72/5  rDev +12.1%

Appearance: Deep dark ruby brown it's hard to believe as thick as it pours that this beer let's any light through, nice tan head leaves specks of sporadic lacing throughout the snifter. Aroma: Rich orgy of an aroma here brings forth it's alcohol fortitude yes but that's not the end of this one. Spicy notes in the nature of a spiced rum deep chocolate abyss, wonderful over ripened fruit notes, with some vinous port wine like characterisitcs. Taste: What a dessert beer enjoy and imbibe with friends, the alcohol doesn't burn this is Sam Adams Utopias maybe stronger but this one is smooth as all hell. That fruit soaked alcohol with toffee, caramel, chocolate and dark coffee with spicy highlights is like anyother beer you will taste. Mouthfeel: Full bodied drink in small quantities and let it warm up as you go no cloying effects on the palate a completely smooth sipping beer. Drinkability: Surprisingly incredible I have tasted other vintages and I see now that they have broken this beer down to a science excellent maybe a little "off-centered" but aren't all of us at times.

4.02/5  rDev -4.5%

Pours pitch black with no head or lacing, but that is to be expected. Aroma of chocolate, rum, molasses, and alcohol. This brew is sweeter then I expected. Dark fruit, chocolate, molasses, licorice, and vanilla are all present in the flavor, but dominated by the alcohol. The alcohol is assertive, but not overpowering, and warms you as you drink. Finishes a little dry, with a port-like aftertaste. Smoother then expected and creamy. Medium-full in body, less syrupy then I had imagined. High alcohol takes away drinkablity, but this is a sipping brew meant to be savored.

Definitely an experience, unlike any beer I have tried. Wish I had sampled one when it was released to compare. More cheers to Dogfish Head for their unique brews!

3.83/5  rDev -9%

This beer has left me with an inconclusive opinion. Is it a “larger than life” flavored beer or is it gimmick-- Superior brew, or unabashed purveyor of alcohol?

Poured a brown-charcoal tinged used motor oil black.
Bubbly mix head- welled up in a fluffy bowl of bubbles and dense spongy foam sculpture. A few minutes later the foamy protuberance returned from whence it came leaving wisp foam swirls covering and atolls of bubbles and strings of tan floating aimlessly atop the black mixture.

Mild lacing of my glass.

Nose produced a prominent note of alcohol and a certain call of bitter hops.

Flavor-- I can’t ignore the alcohol, but toasted barley predominates, hops takes a second seat. Commingled with all this is an unavoidable sweetness, not of sugar but once again of toasted grain. Poking through all that flavor traffic are hints of coffee and maybe a tid-bit of baker’s chocolate.

The finish isn’t particularly robust. The sweet toasted malt / barley persists forever. The cleansing action of the alcohol has it’s undeniable effect.

But alas, given the price of this beer for a 12oz bottle- undoubtedly mostly tax-- in my opinion trumps to a large degree the euphoria of the flavor and character charm that it may spin upon my beer lover’s psyche. So is it really worth 10 bucks a bottle?

Overall a very robust flavored beer, with lots of alcohol...oh, did I mention the alcohol?

I had to degrade this beer's "drinkability"-- simply with two bottles I'm welded to my seat. So swirling around my brain and not my glass is -- is 21% alcohol necessary for a quality super flavored beer?

In conclusion I'd rate this beer a rather robust odd-ball specialty beer. You may have concluded that I'm not a fan of high alcohol content beers.. I love to drink- but I love to drink sober...

3.93/5  rDev -6.7%

Bottle purchased at Jim's Homebrew in Spokane for $9.95

Poured a thick black-as-crude oil color with a very dark tan head. Head was about two inches - primarily because I gave it a very vigorous pour. This beer's inclination is to leave very little head at all.

Smell is of bananas, figs and port wine. Not as roasty as I thought it would be.

Taste is unlike any other beer I've ever had. It starts out with a very mild hoppiness. The fruitiness comes into play midway through . There's a winey taste on the fadeout reminiscent of a port. This is good, but I'd love to see how the flavors meld over time. I picked up two more bottles to see how they age. I wish I could afford more.

This is a very thick beer, almost syrupy. A person could almost use this as caulk.

Drinkability? Are you kidding? I was full after half a pint, and had to practically force down the rest. Not to mention the abv. If this is served in a bar in whole pints, the bartender should take custody of the imbiber's keys beforehand.

I look forward to trying this again in a year or two, when my other bottles have aged a bit.

3.78/5  rDev -10.2%

Images of Geiger, Lovecraft, and Crowley ran through the schism in my mind as I made my way fitfully through the waking dream (or was it a nightmare) of the World Wide Stout 2003.

This poured with no head to speak of, with little to no carbonation present. Among other things I would use to describe its appearance are black gold, Texas tea, creature from the pit, and zombie from the Ichthyic crypts. Black, black, black. The bouquet was simply overpowering with rum and raisin being the supreme demons, which were in turn enslaved to the lethally hot alcohol nose. At first sip there was rock candy sweetness with the aforementioned rum making sure you knew of its presence. The alcohol granted this a heat throughout the tasting, that not unsurprisingly, mellowed to a warming glow as I neared the glass’s end. Indeed, I felt as if I were a piece of glowing kryptonite by the time I realized I had finished the 12 ounces. There was sweat forming under my eyes.

Needless to say, this is one for sipping, not a session ale. It is something that should be enjoyed on a cold, snowy, New England night with the electricity out and a pot of stew warming on the Vermont Castings. The howling you hear may not be just the wind outside.

4.79/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a syrupy black with a slight trace of brown edging and no head. Aromas are abundant, reaching my nose about two feet away. Smell is more complex than anything I have experienced - banana, cider, grapes, sweet candylike barley, backed up with a bit of chocolate malt, and a bunch more that I can't quite put my finger on. Unlike any imperial stout I have come across. Flavor was sweet with alcohol on the tip of the tongue, molding into a rich fruity/malty flavor mid-palate, and finishing with an efervescent, spicy hoppiness and a warming effect on the throat. Very well balanced for having such a high ABV, definitely one of the best sipping beers I have ever had. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, very smooth and creamy - simply delicious. I feel I probably have understated the impressiveness, complexity, and character of this stout, as I am truly taken aback - but I am sure some of the other, more poetic reviewers have done what I can't. I was apprehensive of whether an $8 bottle of beer can really be worth it (I actually felt that the 120 Minute, while good, was not worth the bucks). Well, this was worth ever penny. Get it if and while you can!

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Appearance: Boy, they ain't just a woofin' when they say this is "a very dark beer." I held it up to the light. I can't see through it. Completely opaque in my pint glass. Almost no head whatsoever; much like a barleywine in that respect.

Smell: Just sitting on my desk, without being up under my nose, I'm getting the strong smell of bananas. Up close gets hints of apple, strong malt aromas, mild hop spiciness, and alcohol. Also a slight yeast bite.

Taste: Fantastic. Beginning is sharp and citrusy, turning to strong malt and chocolate flavors mid-palate. The long, drawn-out finish brings a bittersweet note to the chocolate, and features the bananas promised by the bouquet. The finish also features a heady alcohol burn. I've hidden a few bottles of this beer in an upstairs closet, so that I will hopefully forget about them and not grow impatient to drink them. I want to see how they age.

Mouthfeel: Thick, fizzy. I would say that this beer is probably a touch more fizzy than it ought to be given the style. But it's still a tasty beer.

Drinkability: I hate to rate this so low, but this really isn't a drinkable beer in the sense of "slug one after the other." This is a sipping beer. Drink more than one of these like you'd pound back a Budweiser, and you'll be on your ass. It is a shame that the beers which rate the highest in terms of taste are often the least drinkable beers, and the most drinkable beers are often the least interesting, taste-wise.

Don't let the low "drinkability" rating fool you, though. This is an exceptional beer, and one you should try.

4.53/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

It's amazing what these kids are doing with beers now-a-days, This beer is more than "no exception" to this rule it leads the pack of the new school of American Brewing. Dark black with a brownish/tan head that disappears as quickly as the potion is poured. Very sweet aroma which permiates the room and clears the sinuses. Silky and syrupy feel makes this a pleasure to drink. Sweet taste, I thought it was prunes at first but settled on raisins, also a liquorice after taste. Very high Alchohol is evident and enjoyed. I will continue to enjoy these beers by DFH as long as they continue to experiment .

3.32/5  rDev -21.1%

!!! This is what I expected when I had the 2003. Pours pitch black, no head. Smell is dominated by alcohol, as is taste. Even moreso is the sweetness. At first, almost overwhelming. I actually came close to pouring this out. As the beer warmed (and I did also!), I was able to start tasting more than sweet alcohol. Some burnt malt and chocolate. Ultimately, this is just too much (I'm suprised that the additional 2% makes so much difference. I found the 2003 to be much more drinkable). Nonetheless, quite an experience. Thanks, Ron.

4.39/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured out a very dark, boardering on a pitch black, with a very thin fine head to it. The smell was extremely pleasant, with aroma of dominated by black licorace but with undertones of dark fruits.

The flavor was a complex mix of a roasted coffee, molasses, and raisins. It is actually fairly sweet and was a lot smoother than I expected, considering the high ABV. The carbonation was higher than expected, but it seemed to mask the high alcohol content quite well.

Overall, this beer is remarkably smooth and delightfully tasty. It's definitely a beer to sit back and sip over the course of an evening.

4.17/5  rDev -1%

The beer pours a deep black color with a spotty tan lace head. The aroma is good. It has a rich black malt scent which is overpowered by a warm alcohol aroma; very nice. The taste is great. It has real good dark malt flavor that goes down easy for a super high abv. stout. It finishes like cough syrup, but no other stout compares. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation for a high abv. beer. Dogfish Head knows how to push the envelope in brewing. They are constantly coming up with new ideas that continue to impress. Great job guys!

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

This is a very unique "stout".
Looks like a stout with not much head. Smells fruity, raisin-like. Taste is nothing like your typical stout but more like a strong belgian ale, very tastey. Intense, but not overpowering.Full bodied and delicious, this beer covers up the high alcohol very well but you know its still there with its warmth. I'll probably buy it again, it is much more drinkable and less sweet than the 120 minute IPA, which I probably won't buy again.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%

12 oz bottle, capped.

This beer poured an opaque, black color with creamy, tan foam that settled. The smell was first alcohol and then dried fruit (figs, currants, raisins, etc.), some sweet malt, and a hint of hops. The taste was sweet and malty with elements of fruit (figs, raisins, currants), molasses, dark caramel, and a hint of licorice. Very flavorful. The mouthfeel was smooth with full body and low carbonation. It was warming, and there was a pleasant, lingering flavor that coated the mouth. This was a nice "stout", but best for sipping and savoring slowly.

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

Well I got this one for Valentine's Day 2003.
Jet black with edges of maroon and a nice dark tan head. Smells of almost every possible thing I can think of. Coffee, cinnamon, chocolate, raisin, plums, figs, and of course the obvious roasted matls. The taste is outstanding and is a great blend of roasted-burnt malts and a sweet chocolate with traces of cinnamon. The are slight hints of fruits such as raisin, figs, and plums to name the ones that stand out. This tickles my tongue and warms my belly to an almost liquor feel. Very silky smooth feel with a full body and a delicious aftertaste of mocha and cinnamon. There are so many flavors it's hard to pinpoint each one. One of the best Dogfish I've had. Happy Valentine's Day!

4.24/5  rDev +0.7%

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout 2002 had a black, syrupy pour with a small coffee colored head. There was no lace. This beer had a great aroma which had elements of chocolate, molasses, and alcohol. The taste was much smoother than I had anticipated. It was complex and a bit mellow. with chocolate, caramel, molasses, and of course...alcohol. The finish was slightly dry and subdued compared to the taste.
The high alcohol content was not overpowering and its potency was able to creep up on you.The mouthfeel was a little chewy with some bitterness and low carbonation. This is a good beer to relax someone who has trouble sitting through a movie at home.

4.29/5  rDev +1.9%

I needed to take a seat in front of the computer and put this review directly into the keyboard while I can still function. It's 2300 hours, and I'm tired and losing my dexterity at the keyboard, thanks to this most potent of brews.
DFH's 2002 vintage World Wide Stout is by far the highest ABV beer I've had, and I'm slowly paying for it. So, let's cut to the chase, eh? This brew, once released from its 12oz brown glass prison after being allowed to warm to near room temp, has a uniform black appearance and a bubbly brown head that disappeared in under ten seconds and actually made an audible hissing sound as it died.
Man, I don't have to get my nose too close to the glass to get a feel for what's to come. Still, it has a certain complexity once you get past the rampant ethanol notes streaming out of the glass. Raisins, prunes, candy sugar, port wine, it's all there. Once allowed past the lips, there is an immediate, scorching alcohol-fueled warmth that chases from mouth to belly, lighting a fire in the throat and chest along the way. Fruity sweetness accompanies the fiery flow and a surge of molasses rolls across the tongue in the finish. Full, surprisingly smooth, and with a dry finish, this brew coats the palate with vinous goodness.
Well, I'm almost done, in more ways than one. My 2002 World Wide Stout is almost gone, soon I'll be alone. But wait, for there, lurking in the dark recesses of my cellar, is yet another. Waiting, waiting. But not tonight; one is enough.

4.45/5  rDev +5.7%

Dan (or should I say WRXbeerwagon) brought this over to my house over xmas for the little beer tasting we had (along with chaduvel). And it's a good thing he did. I liked this year's version more than last years, and I'm still hoping to try the 18% corker some day. Anyways, this monster pours an inky black with a dark tan head that lasted surprisingly well. Smells of alcohol-soaked raisins, plums, sugar, whiskey, alcohol, and man oh man more alcohol. Whew! The taste is not as in your face and overwhelming as the 23%. Sticky sweet, overripened fruit, with dark sweet chocolate like crazy. I know there are a shitload of hops in here, but it's hard to pick up any hop character. Very warming and alcoholic, with the feel of 10W-40. An awesome winter night cap sipper, and one of the most unbeer-beers I've had. Thanks DFH for pushing the envelope yet again.

4.09/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle served at cellar temperature in a Trois Pistoles goblet.

Appearance: Onyx black, visibly thick liguid topped by a fastly evaporating head of brown bubbles. The head stuck around for no more than 30 seconds overall. So you're basically staring at motor oil.

Smell: The alcohol is very strong and provides a nice undergirding to the maple, vanilla, butterscotch, and raisin aromas. Very much like some oddball cordial.

Taste: Intensely sweet, very sugary. Quite raisiny with some light roasted coffee overtones. Aftertastes of brown sugar last forever.

Mouthfeel: Thick and remarkably smooth given the über-high ABV. You can definitely sense the alcohol, but it's quite pleasant and not harsh in the least, unlike some other high ABV beers I've had (and they were lower in alcohol content).

Drinkability: This, my friends, is the ultimate sipping beer. Take your time with this one. I suspect you could watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy and only need one of these to get yourself through the marathon. Amazingly drinkable. To be honest, the hardest thing to stomach with this is the sweetness, not the booze.

3.9/5  rDev -7.4%

Lucky enough to get the 2002 at Kclinger's Publik House. Many props to Jaysus for pointing out that this was a 2002 and suggesting it. Almost lost the bottle via a barside mishap where it hit the floor. But, the bottle held its ground and survived its trip to the floor. Time for a review!

Appearance - Black as night with no head whatsoever. Pretty much what I expected. Could be labelled "Mobil 1"...no...make that "Quaker State".

Smell - Almost an artificial smell to it. Some roasted barley comes out, which I guess should be expected since it says so right on the label.

Taste - OK, I initially taste a very fruity entry lke the 120 minute, but the finish is very grainy. Lots of strange and complex flavors in this. I taste burnt nuts, barley, some slight hoppiness, a tad of chocolate, and a small bit of coffee. Alcohol finish. Wow...lots in there to taste!

Mouthfeel - This is smooth, but this really gets the mouth watering with an amost tart sweetness (yeah, it's an oxymoron, but it happened). Tinges of alcohol burn throughout.

Drinkability - I commend the man who can have more than two of these in one night. It is a good Dogfish sample, but NOT for drinking fast or in bulk. For one beer, yes this is drinkable; for two or more, you're crazy to try it. I hate to bring down its rating on drinkability, but that's the way it is with this 22% bohemouth.

3.6/5  rDev -14.5%

Twelve ounce brown bottle.

Pours out black as the ace of spades, and oh so thick. Topped by a thin ring of dark tan foam. The incredibly viscous liquid clings all over the glass, but not really lace per say.

Theres enough alocohol & hop aromas in the air to singe nose hairs. Whiffs of dark fruit leap out as well.

Big, robust flavour. A bit hot with the jugernaght alcohol pushing everything else around. However, plums do come through, along with some hops.

Thick, viscous, syrupy, with modest carbonation. The high alcohol also adds a spritzy feel on the tongue.

A sipping beer for a cold winter night.

4.32/5  rDev +2.6%

The appearance is like a stout, the aroma is a strong stout's, full of coffee and dates, but the first mouthful is a shock - a spluttering amount of alcohol, more like a dark rum than a beer. Everything hangs together very well, but even a small bottle is too much, and best shared with someone else. Catherine the Great supposedly loved extra-strong stouts - she would have swapped Alaska for this one. Personally I'd love to cook with this beer . . . World Wide Stout chocolate truffles, for example . . .

2.01/5  rDev -52.3%

I like high ABV beers, and I like Imperial stouts - but this one was just too much for my palate. Very little carbonation it just sat in the glass with no head. Kind of a sour smell and I'm not sure how to descibe the taste, but it wasn't good. It was an interesting experiment to drink one, but I won't be buying another.

3.33/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

First of all, I would suggest drinking this warm. The strong alcohol smell and taste aren't so strong when it's warmer.

Very dark beer with little head. The strong alcohol smell covers up a lot of the other smells. There was a strong alcohol flavor also, but once it dissipated, I was able to taste a chocolaty flavor. It was definitely sweet. The mouthfeel was like liquor, rather than a beer. I shared this beer and it took me a long time to finish, which gave me the opportunity to taste it warm. I liked it much better warm, but still hard to drink.

4.23/5  rDev +0.5%

Vim & Vigor blacked out on the label, so I think what I'm drinking is the 2002 vintage. Very black, with a slight carbonation that produces a quickly disappearing head. The nose is full of raisins, dried fruit and molasses. with a slight alcohol/whiskey note. Very sweet tasting, with a nice warming effect from the alcohol and a slightly smokey/bitter finish. Mouthfeel is interesting - quite thin actually, with very small bubbles of carbonation. This beer is not that drinkable because of it's strength, and I wish that it came in a smaller bottle. It's pretty much impossible to drink 12oz of a 24% ABV drink and not get pretty tipsy. Share it with a (good!) friend!

2.96/5  rDev -29.7%

I've been waiting for this one for over a year now. Cheers to kevin for sending me this one.

It's what you'd expect: blackest liquid you'll ever drink. Smells of stout and alcohol. Tastes, while complex, are just dominated by alcohol. This stuff is 23%! It goes into the ridiculous, and should probably be packaged in 4 oz. bottles. Good for wintertime anyway...

Share it with a friend. Cheers to the DFH guys for brewing something like this.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery