World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,687 | Hads: 4,469
3.32/5  rDev -19.8%

!!! This is what I expected when I had the 2003. Pours pitch black, no head. Smell is dominated by alcohol, as is taste. Even moreso is the sweetness. At first, almost overwhelming. I actually came close to pouring this out. As the beer warmed (and I did also!), I was able to start tasting more than sweet alcohol. Some burnt malt and chocolate. Ultimately, this is just too much (I'm suprised that the additional 2% makes so much difference. I found the 2003 to be much more drinkable). Nonetheless, quite an experience. Thanks, Ron.

4.39/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer poured out a very dark, boardering on a pitch black, with a very thin fine head to it. The smell was extremely pleasant, with aroma of dominated by black licorace but with undertones of dark fruits.

The flavor was a complex mix of a roasted coffee, molasses, and raisins. It is actually fairly sweet and was a lot smoother than I expected, considering the high ABV. The carbonation was higher than expected, but it seemed to mask the high alcohol content quite well.

Overall, this beer is remarkably smooth and delightfully tasty. It's definitely a beer to sit back and sip over the course of an evening.

4.17/5  rDev +0.7%

The beer pours a deep black color with a spotty tan lace head. The aroma is good. It has a rich black malt scent which is overpowered by a warm alcohol aroma; very nice. The taste is great. It has real good dark malt flavor that goes down easy for a super high abv. stout. It finishes like cough syrup, but no other stout compares. The mouthfeel is good. It is a full bodied beer with adequate carbonation for a high abv. beer. Dogfish Head knows how to push the envelope in brewing. They are constantly coming up with new ideas that continue to impress. Great job guys!

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

This is a very unique "stout".
Looks like a stout with not much head. Smells fruity, raisin-like. Taste is nothing like your typical stout but more like a strong belgian ale, very tastey. Intense, but not overpowering.Full bodied and delicious, this beer covers up the high alcohol very well but you know its still there with its warmth. I'll probably buy it again, it is much more drinkable and less sweet than the 120 minute IPA, which I probably won't buy again.

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%

12 oz bottle, capped.

This beer poured an opaque, black color with creamy, tan foam that settled. The smell was first alcohol and then dried fruit (figs, currants, raisins, etc.), some sweet malt, and a hint of hops. The taste was sweet and malty with elements of fruit (figs, raisins, currants), molasses, dark caramel, and a hint of licorice. Very flavorful. The mouthfeel was smooth with full body and low carbonation. It was warming, and there was a pleasant, lingering flavor that coated the mouth. This was a nice "stout", but best for sipping and savoring slowly.

4.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Well I got this one for Valentine's Day 2003.
Jet black with edges of maroon and a nice dark tan head. Smells of almost every possible thing I can think of. Coffee, cinnamon, chocolate, raisin, plums, figs, and of course the obvious roasted matls. The taste is outstanding and is a great blend of roasted-burnt malts and a sweet chocolate with traces of cinnamon. The are slight hints of fruits such as raisin, figs, and plums to name the ones that stand out. This tickles my tongue and warms my belly to an almost liquor feel. Very silky smooth feel with a full body and a delicious aftertaste of mocha and cinnamon. There are so many flavors it's hard to pinpoint each one. One of the best Dogfish I've had. Happy Valentine's Day!

4.24/5  rDev +2.4%

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout 2002 had a black, syrupy pour with a small coffee colored head. There was no lace. This beer had a great aroma which had elements of chocolate, molasses, and alcohol. The taste was much smoother than I had anticipated. It was complex and a bit mellow. with chocolate, caramel, molasses, and of course...alcohol. The finish was slightly dry and subdued compared to the taste.
The high alcohol content was not overpowering and its potency was able to creep up on you.The mouthfeel was a little chewy with some bitterness and low carbonation. This is a good beer to relax someone who has trouble sitting through a movie at home.

4.29/5  rDev +3.6%

I needed to take a seat in front of the computer and put this review directly into the keyboard while I can still function. It's 2300 hours, and I'm tired and losing my dexterity at the keyboard, thanks to this most potent of brews.
DFH's 2002 vintage World Wide Stout is by far the highest ABV beer I've had, and I'm slowly paying for it. So, let's cut to the chase, eh? This brew, once released from its 12oz brown glass prison after being allowed to warm to near room temp, has a uniform black appearance and a bubbly brown head that disappeared in under ten seconds and actually made an audible hissing sound as it died.
Man, I don't have to get my nose too close to the glass to get a feel for what's to come. Still, it has a certain complexity once you get past the rampant ethanol notes streaming out of the glass. Raisins, prunes, candy sugar, port wine, it's all there. Once allowed past the lips, there is an immediate, scorching alcohol-fueled warmth that chases from mouth to belly, lighting a fire in the throat and chest along the way. Fruity sweetness accompanies the fiery flow and a surge of molasses rolls across the tongue in the finish. Full, surprisingly smooth, and with a dry finish, this brew coats the palate with vinous goodness.
Well, I'm almost done, in more ways than one. My 2002 World Wide Stout is almost gone, soon I'll be alone. But wait, for there, lurking in the dark recesses of my cellar, is yet another. Waiting, waiting. But not tonight; one is enough.

4.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Dan (or should I say WRXbeerwagon) brought this over to my house over xmas for the little beer tasting we had (along with chaduvel). And it's a good thing he did. I liked this year's version more than last years, and I'm still hoping to try the 18% corker some day. Anyways, this monster pours an inky black with a dark tan head that lasted surprisingly well. Smells of alcohol-soaked raisins, plums, sugar, whiskey, alcohol, and man oh man more alcohol. Whew! The taste is not as in your face and overwhelming as the 23%. Sticky sweet, overripened fruit, with dark sweet chocolate like crazy. I know there are a shitload of hops in here, but it's hard to pick up any hop character. Very warming and alcoholic, with the feel of 10W-40. An awesome winter night cap sipper, and one of the most unbeer-beers I've had. Thanks DFH for pushing the envelope yet again.

4.09/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle served at cellar temperature in a Trois Pistoles goblet.

Appearance: Onyx black, visibly thick liguid topped by a fastly evaporating head of brown bubbles. The head stuck around for no more than 30 seconds overall. So you're basically staring at motor oil.

Smell: The alcohol is very strong and provides a nice undergirding to the maple, vanilla, butterscotch, and raisin aromas. Very much like some oddball cordial.

Taste: Intensely sweet, very sugary. Quite raisiny with some light roasted coffee overtones. Aftertastes of brown sugar last forever.

Mouthfeel: Thick and remarkably smooth given the über-high ABV. You can definitely sense the alcohol, but it's quite pleasant and not harsh in the least, unlike some other high ABV beers I've had (and they were lower in alcohol content).

Drinkability: This, my friends, is the ultimate sipping beer. Take your time with this one. I suspect you could watch the Lord of the Rings trilogy and only need one of these to get yourself through the marathon. Amazingly drinkable. To be honest, the hardest thing to stomach with this is the sweetness, not the booze.

3.9/5  rDev -5.8%

Lucky enough to get the 2002 at Kclinger's Publik House. Many props to Jaysus for pointing out that this was a 2002 and suggesting it. Almost lost the bottle via a barside mishap where it hit the floor. But, the bottle held its ground and survived its trip to the floor. Time for a review!

Appearance - Black as night with no head whatsoever. Pretty much what I expected. Could be labelled "Mobil 1"...no...make that "Quaker State".

Smell - Almost an artificial smell to it. Some roasted barley comes out, which I guess should be expected since it says so right on the label.

Taste - OK, I initially taste a very fruity entry lke the 120 minute, but the finish is very grainy. Lots of strange and complex flavors in this. I taste burnt nuts, barley, some slight hoppiness, a tad of chocolate, and a small bit of coffee. Alcohol finish. Wow...lots in there to taste!

Mouthfeel - This is smooth, but this really gets the mouth watering with an amost tart sweetness (yeah, it's an oxymoron, but it happened). Tinges of alcohol burn throughout.

Drinkability - I commend the man who can have more than two of these in one night. It is a good Dogfish sample, but NOT for drinking fast or in bulk. For one beer, yes this is drinkable; for two or more, you're crazy to try it. I hate to bring down its rating on drinkability, but that's the way it is with this 22% bohemouth.

3.6/5  rDev -13%

Twelve ounce brown bottle.

Pours out black as the ace of spades, and oh so thick. Topped by a thin ring of dark tan foam. The incredibly viscous liquid clings all over the glass, but not really lace per say.

Theres enough alocohol & hop aromas in the air to singe nose hairs. Whiffs of dark fruit leap out as well.

Big, robust flavour. A bit hot with the jugernaght alcohol pushing everything else around. However, plums do come through, along with some hops.

Thick, viscous, syrupy, with modest carbonation. The high alcohol also adds a spritzy feel on the tongue.

A sipping beer for a cold winter night.

4.32/5  rDev +4.3%

The appearance is like a stout, the aroma is a strong stout's, full of coffee and dates, but the first mouthful is a shock - a spluttering amount of alcohol, more like a dark rum than a beer. Everything hangs together very well, but even a small bottle is too much, and best shared with someone else. Catherine the Great supposedly loved extra-strong stouts - she would have swapped Alaska for this one. Personally I'd love to cook with this beer . . . World Wide Stout chocolate truffles, for example . . .

2.01/5  rDev -51.4%

I like high ABV beers, and I like Imperial stouts - but this one was just too much for my palate. Very little carbonation it just sat in the glass with no head. Kind of a sour smell and I'm not sure how to descibe the taste, but it wasn't good. It was an interesting experiment to drink one, but I won't be buying another.

3.33/5  rDev -19.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

First of all, I would suggest drinking this warm. The strong alcohol smell and taste aren't so strong when it's warmer.

Very dark beer with little head. The strong alcohol smell covers up a lot of the other smells. There was a strong alcohol flavor also, but once it dissipated, I was able to taste a chocolaty flavor. It was definitely sweet. The mouthfeel was like liquor, rather than a beer. I shared this beer and it took me a long time to finish, which gave me the opportunity to taste it warm. I liked it much better warm, but still hard to drink.

4.23/5  rDev +2.2%

Vim & Vigor blacked out on the label, so I think what I'm drinking is the 2002 vintage. Very black, with a slight carbonation that produces a quickly disappearing head. The nose is full of raisins, dried fruit and molasses. with a slight alcohol/whiskey note. Very sweet tasting, with a nice warming effect from the alcohol and a slightly smokey/bitter finish. Mouthfeel is interesting - quite thin actually, with very small bubbles of carbonation. This beer is not that drinkable because of it's strength, and I wish that it came in a smaller bottle. It's pretty much impossible to drink 12oz of a 24% ABV drink and not get pretty tipsy. Share it with a (good!) friend!

2.96/5  rDev -28.5%

I've been waiting for this one for over a year now. Cheers to kevin for sending me this one.

It's what you'd expect: blackest liquid you'll ever drink. Smells of stout and alcohol. Tastes, while complex, are just dominated by alcohol. This stuff is 23%! It goes into the ridiculous, and should probably be packaged in 4 oz. bottles. Good for wintertime anyway...

Share it with a friend. Cheers to the DFH guys for brewing something like this.

4.37/5  rDev +5.6%

It pours an inky, dark, dark brown, that might just as well be jet black. No light gets through, and for all I know, maybe even neutrinos cannot pass. A thick light tan head bustles forth, quickly settling to a shallow crater of froth, thicker at the edges where it meets the glass. There are moderate thin fingers of lacing.

The aroma is dense, and sweet, sweet malt, almost honey-like, and swirls with sinewy vapors of alcohol. There are cherry and currant notes as well, and a grainy, woody impression along the center. A gentle aura of mildly bitter hops round out the olfactory presentation.

The flavor is, initially, a muscular and grainy berry/cherry sweetness, almost like wishniak soda, and bordering on cloying, but stopping short of that undesireable appelation. Sugary currant notes slip in, only to quickly fade and expose the herculean backbone of alcohol. Flat, earthy elements glide toward the end, giving way to the slightest bitterness of hops at the finish. The overall flavor is heavy and in some ways extreme, but it's balanced in nicely interesting proportions.

Slick and treacly, the heavy bodies beer slips and slides and coats, like sweet napalm. It delivers an almost tangibly chewy texture, likened in my mind to caramel candy.

I lick my lips, and they're sweet, almost as though I'd just had a dose of cough syrup. Now that's SWEET! But no cough syrup can deliver the extra levels of flavor exhibited here. It's not cloying, but rather sweet as part of the whole, not for its own sake. Unlike some other sweet, high ABV DFH offerings, this brew brings a more round and well-developed multi-dimensional flavor in which the elements don't blur each other, showing more maturity and character. I'd truly fear going overboard with this, as I would candy, because the aforementioned high ABV is a real red flag of caution. But, I will say that one a day would go a long way toward blissfully satisfying any sweet tooth I might delelop.

4.35/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Pous ink balck with ecru head that starts big, dissipates at a fairly slow pace and leaves medium level of remnants on the glass. Aroma is black licorice, alcohol, peat, dark malts and some dark fruit in the background. Unbelievably smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Taste of roasted barley, prunes, licorice like sugar, scotch and a little bit of charcoal at the end. Really alcoholic kick at the back end. Flavors hide the alcohol well but it is very noticeable. My only issue with this beer is that it's too alcoholic. If they kicked it down to 15%, I bet they would have an even better beer that you could have more than one of.

4.78/5  rDev +15.5%

Beer cannot get darker or more omminous than this. I've renamed this brew "Mordor Stout" for the shear blackness and severity of the brew. Poured it into a roboust challice, was afraid that a lesser glass would shatter at the addition of this elixir. The stout poured the deepest black I have ever seen. You'd have to be blindfolded in an unlit cave in the deepest reaches of the earth to find something more black. Smell was complex. The high alcohol was obvious, as was the overall complexity of the brew. First taste was overwhelming - this is a complicated brew. Notes and hints of a liquor in the interweaving of massive hops and malts, but still definately a brew. This is a beer to be enjoyed slowly. It goes to eleven. I've split ONE of this fine beverages between three friends, and no one was dissapointed at consuming 4oz of brew. This beer is THAT good.

4.28/5  rDev +3.4%

One of my New Years Eve beers, this had the label with the famous "Vim and Vigor" crossed out with a magic marker. (I'm surprised the bureaucrats let them put "and a sense of purpose" on the Raison d'Etre labels, but I digress...)

It poured with a dark maroon body and a tan head that disappeared immediately, as you might expect with this big an ABV. Aromas were alcohol, charcoal, and fruit. Taste was almost overwhelmingly cherry cough syrup, along with coffee, sugar, port wine, alcohol. The mouthfeel was syrupy, with a light carbonation. The finish was smooth malt and cherry. Very drinkable, doesn't feel like 23% ABV until after it's gone. Then, you're wasted! (especially after preceding this with a full bomber of Vertical Epic '03!!!) A Happy New Year, indeed!

4.49/5  rDev +8.5%

Broke down and spent the $7.99 for a 12 oz. bottle. Let it warm up a bit and poured it into a wide chalis. It was black with barely any head except for spotty residue. Expected this with the higher alcohol content. The aroma is wonderful, candy sweet with licorice tones. You are warned of the high alcohol level through the nose.

The flavor is complex. Malt levels are huge making this very sweet. Other flavors I picked out were coffee, licorice, honey, prunes, and chocolate. Very smooth mouthfeel, almost creamy. Thick bodied and alcohol level is very noticeable. Drinkability is down a notch due to the high alcohol levels. This is a special occasion type of beer, and it will take a while to finish. I was still trying to understand the flavors I was experiencing all the way through the last drop.

2003 bottling.
Appearance: Insideous, inky-dark, light-sucking blackness... as if peering into the depth of the hoary netherworld. More carbonation than I expected, with a slightly broken 1/8" creamy espresso cap and generous smatterings of gooey, drippy lace.
Smell: Malt,malt,malt! Roasty/toasty/smokey. Fusel alcohol menaces but does not overpower. Licorace, espresso/french roast coffee, candied dark fruits. A distinct buttery/banana softness rounds out the initial alcohol harshness. Hints of bitter chocolate, and oakey/vinous notes. Superb!
Taste & Mouthfeel: STUNNING! This is perhaps the most intriguing brew taste I've encountered. Are we sure this isn't Imperial Stout? Viscous, lush, chewey (knife/fork/lobster-bib chewey) sweet creamy malt with caramelized/burnt sugars, candied/alcohol stewed raisins, plums, cherries at the front. Carbonation level is low and finely bubbled... perfection. The top is rich with malt slickness and a burning then soothing alcohol warmth. Although my unworthy palate couldn't detect the hops, I trust they are there as the finish dries considerably leaving a soothing warmth, oaky/roast coffee bitterness and semi-dry molasses/plum aftertaste.
Drinkability: Based on what I'd read about this beer, I was afraid of it. I can honestly say that I could not put it down and was constantly aware that the 12 ounces would soon be over. Entirely drinkable... I will buy as many more as I can afford tomorrow. This beer (in any vintage I can find) will be my Christmas & New Year's choice for years to come. If it were possible to rate it higher, I would. Dogfish Head... you guys are gods (I'm not worthy!). Beer review #100 for me: I couldn't have made a better choice. Excuse me, I have to go change and take up smoking...

4.55/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured thickly into a Duvel Tulip with an mahogany-brown color. Once poured color is inpenetrable black, with small sluggish bubbles emerging from the middle like gas escaping from a swamp. Aromas of alcohol, sweet coffee and caramel waft from my glass. It is difficult to pierce the veil of alcohol to obtain the other aromas...no matter how far I stick my nose into the glass. But wait, now I smell a trace of red wine...now a dry chocolate and grains... there are other things fighting thier way out.

Now to taste..what the hell is this!!!? it is quite sweet, but this falls off quickly to reveal a quamire of other subtle stouty coffee/chocolate flavors, raisins, and HONEY. My throat warms as the alcohol travels downward. I am now reminded of a dessert wine like a high residual sugar gewertztriminer. Gets better as it warms. Its hard to rate such a unusual concoction. Some hoppy bitterness is present but could be stronger I think. Oh!!! But wait... Now that it is warm, it definately port-like. Yes! It is a port! And a good one at that. I smell brandy! Wow. Mouthfeel is thick and velvet as you would suspect. Drinkability is pretty good considering but too sweet for a beer...like the 120 minute. But if you consider this as a port, it is quite drinkable. I would recommend serving like a port, perhaps a quarter or half pint a person. This is genious...how did they get an ale to taste like a fully-fleshed port??? A great contribution from Dogfish head. This should not be called a stout... it should fall into a new style category called "port ales". Try it and be perplexed!

4.92/5  rDev +18.8%

This beer is totally worth the trouble I had to go to to get it!

It pours with hardly any head and is a deep black color. The scent is like a good red wine, fruity with a touch of alcohol. (imagine that) This tastes fantastic! It is sweet and spicy....coffee and maybe caramel aftertaste. It IS sweet, though not overpoweringly so . This has more carbonation than expected. It feels all bubbly and smooth in the mouth and doesn't bite at the throat like one would expect with such a high ABV.

This beer is so drinkable you could easily down several. This wouldn't be too wise though! It is smooth and flavorful. I simply love this beer and encourage you to try it!

Thank you Dogfish Head!!