World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
3.71/5  rDev -11.7%

This is one potent brew. Upon arrival I could already smell the alcohol content trying to be hidden by citrus aromas...which kind of worked.. in all seriousness on of the first scents to the nose was banana. Pours a jet black with minimal light brown head. The taste of this brew at first is alcohol and coffee with slight unertones of said banana. As you drink on, the alcohol taste seems to get more and more hidden.. and at 18 percent its no wonder why. The mouthfeel of this beer is surprisingly clean. Coats the entire mouth with slight carbonation and a crisp finish. Definitely a brew to share with a friend.

3.18/5  rDev -24.3%

Bottled 11/14/08, poured into a Bourbon glass.

A - Poured a rich, thick black with an amber tint when held to the light. Had a nice head that didn't hang around long and mildly stuck to the glass.

S - Maple syrup with a bit of nutmeg to it. Dark fruits and malts. Licorice too.

T - Really thick. Really syrupy. Really strong. A bit of a novelty. REALLY heavy. Very reminiscent of the 120 min ipa, but on the darker spectrum in the licorice flavor dept. more plum like and even port wine like. at first...
...as it warmed and I sipped it, I began to notice more vanilla-like flavorings and found myself digging the beer a bit more.

M - Not much like a beer. Like one of those super beers instead. Dogfish super-beer style.

D - Not really drinkable upon first sip. Certainly not for the faint of heart either. An interesting novelty, but not one that I'll be looking for again. I found myself getting more into it as I sipped it...perhaps that's the 18% talking? At 18% you really only need one anyway so it sort of balances itself out.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Bottled on 11/17/2009. Review from notes on 3/20/2010.

Dark, dark black, with barely a touch of head during the pour, which dissipates immediately. No lacing but some nice legs on the glass from the high alcohol.

Alcohol aroma is immediately present, along with some chocolate in the background and a prominent dark cherry and raisin. Flavor has some more cherry and some raisin up front with more alcohol flavor, followed by a sooth, sweetish dark chocolate flavor. Leaves a lingering sweetness and more alcohol warmth and flavor.

Very low carbonation; mostly smooth drinking but strongly alcoholic. There are definitely some complex elements in this, but it seems that anything subtle is probably covered up by the alcohol. Still, it is definitely enjoyable and it is drinkable for what it is.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Bottled in 2008, poured in NB globe.

A: pours thick, opaque, and pitch black, small khaki head that doesn't hang around

S: aroma is sweet, dark fruit predominant in the form of dark cherries, figs, and raspberries... lots of molasses, some rich dark chocolate in there- but mainly sweet

T: well the taste is much more balanced than the nose suggested, I was concerned this would be a cloyingly sweet mess (perhaps fresh bottles are), the same sweetness is on the palate but is counteracted with roasted malts and heat from the alcohol. The finish is very heavy on the booze and leaves ethyl alcohol on the palate, but the alcohol is not as overwhelming as I would have expected for 18%. I applaud DFH for the balance they achieved with such a huge beer.

MF: thick, chewy, low carbonation, a warmth builds in the mouth with each sip

D: well this certainly a slow sipper... at $8 per 12 oz and 18% alcohol, I can't see myself having this beer routinely. It is a nice accomplishment and definitely worthy of a try

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

poured from 12oz bottle into a pint glass

A- dark as night kinda brew. Small head quickly disappers. It's pretty much darker than coffee, a glass of pepsi, or even melted chocolate. There is still some lacing on the side

S- that is one strong scent. Dark chocolate, coffee, stout scents hit the nose from even a distance. The really quick is that each scent is intertwined wth the strength of the alcohol. One of the stronger sniffs you can take

T- definitely tastes as it smells. Sweet and syrupy... hints of coffee and chocolate sting the palate. The sweetness makes it tasty... the alcohol makes it tingley. As everyone has stated, this needs to be sipped

M- lack of carbonation, light in initial sip. However, the brew coates the mouth and palate upon exit. It does cover the mouth with flavor

D- this really is a treat that can be enjoyed over a decent period of time. You have to really see it for what it is. A yummy stout that is full of flavor. As mentioned.... one is enough for a sitting. Give credit to DFH for crafting a brew that exemplifies desert in a bottle. This is a proven brew that everyone should take a shot at. Just remember the point that it should be one and done (18% come on)

4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

Appearance - Very dark brown, almost black. Think espresso shot.

Smell - Sweet oatmeal raisin cookie. Slight coffee with hints of apple cider in the fall and a mild amount of dried fruits.

Taste - Amazing. I realize that doesn't sum it up at all, but it had to be said. Caramel and Heath bar toffee leading into port wine, raisin, and some cherry pie filling and finishing off with molasses. Having said that, even with all the sweet descriptions, this finishes surprisingly balanced with tons of toasty roasty goodness.

Mouthfeel - Very full and chewy; almost syrupy. Extremely long finish. A minute-plus and it still lingers.

Drinkability - I got drunk while writing this review (off half a bottle). Maybe not the best session beer, but well worth it.

Overall, one of my favorite brews... maybe ever.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Darkest beer I've seen in a while, no light shines through even when held up to a light window. I'd be happier with a little more or a head, there isn't any foam at all.

It smells sweet and alcoholic, almost a bit burboney.

The taste is great, very big and bold. You can definitley taste the alcohol, but it's well balanced with sweet flavors of honey and malt.

Mouthfeel is much more carbonated than expected, and less syrupy then expected, a little alcohol burn but not anything even close to an 18%.

I wouldn't be able to drink several of these, but considering I kinda want more after one, I'd say it has great drinkibility.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

A: This is about as dark as it gets, I feel sorry for any light trying to find its way around this beer. The head is minimal, with little lacing.

S: Loads of caramel, roasted coffee, and some slight vanilla speaking up at the end. I can smell it from across the room.

T: It is leaning a lot toward the sweet side. Some sweet brown sugars, vanilla, with a slight taste of alcohol tingle.

M/D: The mouthfeel is longlasting, very thick and heavy. The finish seems to last forever.

This is a great beer, seems like one where you pick up more each time you drink it.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

A- Pours jet black with a slight brown tint. Very thin mocha colored head which quickly disappears.

S- Smells of alcohol, with slight touches of coffee and vanilla.

T- Mostly alcohol. I'm getting some vanilla though...the vanilla actually helps mask the alcohol a good bit.

M- Its probably the thinnest stout I've had, which is a little shocking. Rather pleasant with the large amount of alcohol though, not that overwhelming.

D- One bottle in a night, and thats all. The alcohol is already getting to me, halfway through it. This is definitely a sipper.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

Dogfish Head, Worldwide Stout- This beer is according to the label, 'A very dark beer brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley'. Of course, I chose the one that's 18%, right? I tend to like sippers! This beer poured pitch black. It smelled like espresso, dark chocolate, hints of licorice, toasted malt, mixed in with a little vanilla. You can definitely smell the alcohol, although it smelled more like a Brandy or Cognac. The taste is fantastic- Black licorice, almost burnt malts, some raisins, and a twinge of tobacco. This Stout feels more like a Port to me, which I love! It's sweet and a lot of flavor, one of the best stouts that I have ever tried. I am very happy that it has just been released to our side of the coast.

2.78/5  rDev -33.8%

from my notes dated 3.10.09, 2nd time trying this...

Not as pleasant from the first time I had this (which I loved).

Roasty, smores, alc. esthers, chocolate, barley, Ethanol is all in the aroma.
molasses, chocolate, barley malt, and "young PLUM" stands out in the Taste.
Mouthfeel is very "warming" and thick.

It fell short in a major way (compared to the first bottle I ever had)

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

Pours a murky red-tinged very dark brown. Almost black in parts, but not quite. Like Eminem it only wishes it were black. Head is an odd yellow colour, almost turmeric, and dissipates to leaves a bit of a rim. Lace is something else, thick and clingy. An interesting stout.

Nose makes me think it's a weizenbock, because there's lots of fresh-cut banana on that, full banana esters coming at me. Some slight hints of espresso behind it, some caramel notes and a hint or two of some clove and mild cardamom. But the banana is dominant, which spoils an otherwise decently complex nose (not the banana itself spoiling it, just the fact that the banana is so dominant).

Taste is strong, from the get-go. A fair amount of fruitiness, with more banana and a hint of dried mango at the front. Descends quickly into a robust roasted dark beer character, with lots of bittersweet chocolate, tobacco character and a hint of mint and coriander on the mid. Finish has a distinct alcohol kick; try as you might, 18% cannot be hidden, plus a slight sour edge with peppery notes. Never quite loses sight of that banana pulp, which re-emerges as a very interesting twist at the end. There's a lot of complexity on there but somehow I feel the flavour is subjugated by the strong booziness. Quite a fascinating beer but am not entirely sold on this.

Mouthfeel feels quick slick for what it is but it's mostly heavy, the very evident alcohol dries up the finish. Certainly to style but not the easiest drinking texture.

Am interested enough to keep sipping but it's not exactly a quaffer, let's face it.

4.62/5  rDev +10%

12 ounce bottle from Tully's in Wells, ME.

First notes on aroma are very sweet chocolate and overactive ethanol heat. Some vague notes of cherry and coffee in there somewhere.

Tasting this bottle, currently served out of my trusty pint glass (tulips are for girls, silly beer drinkers!), the ethanol heat was not as noticable to me as it was to other rewiewers. The flavor is sweet above all else, but the moderate level of carbonation coupled with the light coffee flavor and the higher than average ABV (I was informed this batch was 21%) help moderate the sweetness and make this a very pleasant sipper in the imperial stout category.

This is the second time I've has this brew, the first experience being on tap at the Great Lost Bear in Portland. Somewhat unusually, the bottle has a very similar flavor to the brew on tap, with the only significant difference being the creamier and longer lasting head on the on-tap permutation.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours an oily black-brown colour, quite heavy, but slick, leaving just a few millimetres of light brown head around the rim. Static carbonation when swirled - the bubbling is incredibly fine and refined - it's like little trails of dust around the edge of the glass. Overall, a very impressive looking beer.

Nose is redolent with oak, vanilla and ripe banana - a huge sweep of incredibly sweet flavours is what really marks this as a classic high-gravity American stout for me. Darkness is hinted at on the nose, along with a slight hint of phenolic alcohol, but it's as though I'm just getting a preview here - a glimpse of what is to come on the palate.

Unfortunately, the first thing I notice on the palate is the carbonation, which is sharp and tingling, dancing like crazy on my tongue, leaving a slightly acidic impression. Following this, there are big notes of vanilla and greenish banana phenols, accompanied by a robust black ashy bitterness, but it's certainly lacking some fullness in the feel, and the tingling carbonation is slightly overwhelming. The booze notes start to assert themselves after just a few sips, and you can certainly feel its effect not long after starting.

There is no doubt this is a big, brash and unapologetic beer - in ways similar to the 120-minute IPA, I feel as though DFH may have pushed the envelope slightly too far with this one, and pushed it outside the realms of decency. That's not to say this beer isn't worthy of respect - it just sure makes it a challenge to drink.

4.12/5  rDev -1.9%

2008 vintage poured into a snifter. Black with ruby highlights and sports a tan head with good retention.

Intense, dark, milky chocolate in the initial aroma with light smoke, booze, black cherry, plum, and chocolate liqueur.

Slightly sweet, not over the top though. Dark rum flavors with a nice roasty fade. This is a beer to beer feared a little. Very nice, ages great.

3.67/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured from a bottle into my sweet semi-tulip I found at goodwill.

Super dark with almost no head and no apparent carbonation, thanks to all that alchohol. Nice assertive smell, obviously boozy but not as gutrot as Olde School, sweet and chocolatey. Suprisingly pleasant taste, mild compared to other high ABV beers, not terribly complex but not too simple either, dont really taste the barley so much. The mouthfeel and drinkability really kill it for me, thick and syrupy, leaves the tongue and lips sticky, but the aftertaste is not bad, raisins and roasty malts.

Must say that after trying the 120 min and the Olde School, this is my favorite DFH big beer by far. I think that the high ABV and sweet flavor are more of a compliment to a stout than they are to an ale. Would definitely try again.

4.14/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Consumed March 14th 2010 from a bottle labeled 11/13/09. Serving temp: 50 degrees F.

Beer pours into my trusty Triple Petrus tulip/snifter a very dark brown. Holding it to direct sunlight reveals no highlights. A one finger tan head appears briefly before retreating to a very thin clingy foam ring.

The beer is very aromatic: alcohol, bitter chocolate and syrupy sweet as hell. Fleeting notes of dark berries, vanilla and smoke.

Thick as it enters the mouth, nearly syrup. Very sweet. Plums and port wine flavor emerge on subsequent sips, as does big chocolate malt flavor. Alcohol heat somewhere between warm and hot, then a balanced bitterness near the end. The aftertaste is a lingering heat with a fruity sweetness.

Tingly on the tongue.

Not for the faint of heart, but a 12 ounce bottle can be finished with a little perseverance. Not sure if I'd call this "drinkable", though.

For a better execution of this extreme style, try Avery's Mephistopholes.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Let me start by saying this is my FIRST review on here, so please keep that in mind if it's pretty crazy...

A - black pour into an oversize wine glass (which I felt was perfect since this so much reminds me of a strong wine). So dark, light does not penetrate at all. Very impressive. No lacing, very tiny head which dissipates quickly.

S - Oh wow. Where do I even begin? Let's say that as I sit here typing this, my glass is a good foot away from me and I can still smell it clearly. Coffee, toasted nuts, molasses, black currents..it's all there. Extremely scented. Intimidating.

T - Very very..what is it..sweet I guess. I wanted to say salty. Is that crazy? The taste lingers throughout my mouth as I swallow. Personally, I had to quickly take a drink of water to wash it away. Not that it's bad..it's just so much to take in. It totally kicks my butt.

M - Slight carbonation followed by a very slick, oily feeling. Extremely syrupy. Heavy and warm.

D - I could never drink more than one of these due to the intense flavors. However, the high alcohol is totally hidden. I expected harsh burns, but was very surprised to not feel it.

All in all, I'd say it was pretty good. I'm not a dark beer fan, but my husband is, and if you are, then I'd totally recommend it. Would I buy this again? Probably not, but I'm very excited to have experienced it.

2.31/5  rDev -45%

Served up at the DFH brewpub pitch black with just a collar of head around the edges. Some sticky lacing is left on the glass as the beer is consumed. Smell to me was very un stout-like. Dark rich fruit aroma with none of the roasty notes one would expect from a stout. Smell is very sweet, which may explain the lack of roastyness and prevalence of the fruit aromas. Taste is very disappointing. Super super sweet. I would have to say it is sickly sweet. Rasiny, sweet syrupy and not all that multi dimensional. It almost tastes more like a black barleywine than an imperial stout. Thick, full and syrupy mouthfeel. Really the only thing I find that I really love about this beer is how well it hides the epic ABV, which is present, but does not dominate. From what I understand this beer changes quite a lot between years and releases, one can only hope that next time I try one it is worth the hype.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

A: Deep black/brown hue and practically no head. Leaves little to no lacing on the glass.

S: Massive sweetness and alcohol attack the olfactory senses. Big caramel, chocolate and brown sugar scent. Woah.

T: Probably one of the sweetest beers I have ever had. Not that it's a bad thing, but certainly could wear out the palate in repeated servings. Intense sweetness of chocolate and brown sugar with a hint of coffee (two creams massive sugar) and also an alcohol bite. I was expecting a much harsher alcohol bite considering the ABV, but it was very well hidden in comparison to my expectations.

M: Extremely syrupy, like they just took some hershey's chocolate syrup, and poured it into the wort. Good carbonation; not to much, and not too little.

D: For a big beer with high abv, this is pretty drinkable. Ironically, it is more drinkable to me than DFH's Raison D'Etre, which is an 8%er, but the alcohol in that one is much more pronounced than in this one, IMHO. However, I would be able to get through maybe two 12 oz of this before I'd be done, both by the alcohol, and the sometimes cloying taste.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

on tap -> 12oz goblet @ Pipers, Pub, Pittsburgh, PA

Arrives black with a small thick brown head. Leaves waves of lace for the half of the beer, then the lacing disappears. Very surprised with the initial amount of lacing for such a high ABV brew.

Nose: Booze, chocolate, dark fruits include plum, currant, raisin. Very full smell once you get past the alcohol. Almost smells barrel aged.

Thick and oily. Wow, a quick smack of booze followed by syrupy chocolate and dark fruit flavors of raisins, plum, currant, more overripe plum. Finishes hot, with an attempt of almost balancing bitterness. You can tell your drinking an a huge beer, but it's not overpowering to the point that you have to sip it. Deliciousness and its most extreme.

Thank you pipers pub for offering this wonderful brew at your standard draft prices. Sat down and drank 2 of these over 2 hours and rode that buzz until i passed out on my couch a couple hours later. This stuff lives up the hype.

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

Appearance - Looks nearly as black as a starless night. I literally could not see even a speckle of light through it. Had a very thick and creamy dark tan head which stayed strong.

Smell - Instantly smelled the 18% ABV on this one. The chocolate and dark fruit scents try to mask it, but ultimately fail from letting this beast make itself known.

Taste - Very warm. The brew itself was cold, but the mixture of sweetness and high ABV definitely gives a profound warm tingling throughout your body with each sip. Very rustic and earthy. Definitely an extreme example of an Imperial Stout.

Mouthfeel - Almost syrupy, but still has enough fluidity to stay smooth.

Drinkability - A beer connoisseur's dream come true, though definitely not for the average beer consumer. While some may be turned off by it's high ABV, passing up a chance to try this masterfully crafted stout is quite a mistake.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Been looking forward to this one for at least two weeks!

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a snifter.

Appearance: Opaque, inky black with only the slightest tinge of a dark red at the edges. Managed a tan, half-finger head that dissipates quickly. Negligible lacing left behind as the tiny bubbles disappear. I'm slightly intimidated...

Smell: Hints of raisin, chocolate, and alcohol (can't necessarily tell that it's 18%, though). Strong, but not overwhelming aroma. Am I underestimating the body of this concoction? As the beer warms, new, sweeter dimensions of its scent pronounce themselves.

Taste: A definite warming sensation is attributed to the "hotness" of this young brew (bottled about three months ago). The complexities of the taste profile are taking me quite some time to absorb. Reminds me of Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron (Brown Ale) in that a certain woodiness becomes apparent in the first sip. Halfway through the alcohol still hasn't totally dominated, but the sheer heaviness of this beer is slowing me down. Haven't had enough American Double/Imperial Stouts to properly judge this as an example of the style, but is certainly extreme in many respects.

Mouthfeel: Syrupy malt flavors stick to the tongue and the teeth and the taste lingers in the mouth. The tight carbonation helps it to feel slightly refreshing.

Drinkability: DFH's attention to detail ensures that World Wide Stout goes down smoothly and tastily. However, its complexity is almost too much for my novice palette to handle, and this might be one of those beers that asks too much of the average taster/drinker.

Notes: Going back to my previous point of comparison, I have trouble believing this beer is superior enough to, say, Palo Santo Marron to warrant it being almost three times as expensive. This really is an after dinner treat for a special occasion and I don't see why I'd buy it again in the near future.

4.7/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Feb 2010

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. This beer was bottled in November of 08 and so has about 15 months of bottle age.

Appearance: As it pours out the stream of beer is a clear dark deep brown where thin but is so dark that when it fills the glass it appears almost black like espresso and once poured allows no light to pass through it even when held up to the light. The light brown head quickly recedes from its 1/8" thickness to form a ring around the glass and scattered thin patches of foam on the surface. There are scattered small sheets and speckles of lacing. Sipping leaves behind small rings of foam that quickly turn into speckles and slide back down into the beer.

Smell: The aroma is dark molasses and dark fruits with hints of licorice, coffee and some nice alcohol presence that provides a welcome counterpoint to the heavy darkness of the other aromas.

Taste: The flavor of this beer is very complex and very challenging. There is clearly alcohol present but by this age it has lost most all of its burn (the last one I tried but did not review was about 3-4 months old) and the alcohol helps sweeten things a bit. What alcohol can be tasted is all intertwingled with the other flavors that bounce back and forth in the mouth and over the palate. These flavors include such things as strong espresso, some dark chocolate, some licorice, and some dark molasses.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is thick and full-bodied and has very little carbonation. The finish is incredibly long and seems to just go on forever with different flavors coming to the fore and then receding into the background, only to re-appear later on.

Drinkability: This is a beer for slow sipping over an hour or two while the flavors spread throughout the mouth and dance around all over the palate. With this ABV it is a one a night beer that can and should last for a very long time of slow sipping. I've more of these in the basement and expect to explore the effects of 2, 3, and 4 years of bottle age before they are all gone.

Note: With only half of the beer gone I went off to get some cheeses to have with the beer. Finding some Manchego and some Gorgonzola I decided to try both with this beer. Each in its own way goes nicely with the WWS, but the Gorgonzola is definitely the better pairing. Interestingly enough I'd swear it is possible to feel the light but persistent carbonation "lift the cheese" from the palate, preparing it to be ready either for more beer or more cheese.

Dec 28, 2010

Last night a few of us shared a bottle with just over 2 years of age on it. The flavors clearly had integrated more tightly, making them harder to isolate, but giving the beer the complexity of a fine port. The sweetness of the alcohol is still present on the palate and in the nose but there is definitely no burn. On the whole we agreed that this was something to be sipped slowly by the fire and shared with friends as the richness of flavors would require a couple of hours to finish alone.

11/15/14

Tonight I'm having the last one of these that was bottled on 11/14/08, just 6 years ago yesterday. It was purchased in Jan 09 at the brewery tour and is the last of a 4 pack. The beer has held up well and is rich, malty, with absolutely no alcohol in the taste. All the flavors described in the first review are stil there except the alcohol is now well hidden.

3.57/5  rDev -15%

A- Purs super dark, almost black, with a very thin mocha head. not much lacing at all, almost none. both the lack of head and lacing is probably due to the high ABV.

S- Good amount of booze in the nose here. there's also dark fruit, raisins and some licorice there as well. Good complexity but the booze is a bit overwhelming

T- Pretty similar to the nose on this. Booze, raisins, dark fruit and licorice. there is also a tiny hint of coffee in the finish.

M/D- full bodied, low carbonation. good mouthfeel, alcohol is a little overwhelming. this beer is more like drinking a good brandy than a beer. interesting, but don't think i'll be looking for this one anytime soon.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery