World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
3.5/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

12oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Bottled on 11-14-08.

(A)- Pours thick and black as night. Produced a decent light tan colored head that stayed around for awhile before dissipating down to bubbles.

(S)- Serious roasted malts. So roasted, that its more of a burnt nature. Bits of dense coffee, molasses, raisins, vanilla, and sweet brown sugar.

(T)- Pretty much the same as the smell. Dense & sweet. Not much of that great coffee that was in the smell, but everything else is there. Finishes very sweet & boozy.

(M)- A good carbonation level for the style. The alcohol is very evident & leaves the throat not after each swallow. The sweetness can also be a bit much; it pretty much overpowers the great roasted/burnt malts & creates a one-dimensional beer.

(D)- Again, due to its big sweetness & overall boozy finish, does not lend this beer to being a good drinker. A sipper for sure. I think this definitely needs more aging time in the bottle, or mine was not stored well before my purchase.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Nonic. Bottled on 11/14/08.

Thanks to bnieman and his Dad for sharing this awesome beer!

A - Black-as-night stout with a creamy, quiet pour and low dark tan head. Poor retention right off the bat from the alcohol no doubt and a thin ring left over.

S - The insanely malty nose is robust with roasted malts, enough to rival any hop-head's DIPA wet-dream. Tons of molasses and brown sugar with all sorts of toasted and roasted barley. A boozy, fruity finish ends this absolutely fantastic aroma.

T - Tons of booze and floral, fruity notes with a flat-line-inducing level or barley. So robust, there isn't much you can possibly compare it to. Notes of mocha and chocolate overwhelmed by booze.

M - Thick and rich with an enormous alcohol warmth to the finish. Dry and roasty to the end. A mild bitterness is overtaken by sweetness and booze.

D - The question of the afternoon is, "could I have a 12 oz bottle alone?". I answer "yes" of course, but it would last me an hour or more.

3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

On tap at Toronado, $4 for a 6oz pour, which seems like a pretty solid deal. I told Sam C. from DFH in early 2009 that I really hoped they'd send this beer out to the west coast, and what do you know, they did it. Thanks, Sam. Oh man, I don't quite know what to make of this one. It is unique for sure.

Pours jet black with a nice medium-sized tan head that lasts.

Aroma is very nice with roast, very sweet chocolate, coffee, vinous notes, and booze.

Flavor is extremely sweet. Very chocolatey with roast, caramel, port wine, candied raisins, coffee, a touch of booze, and sugar. Lots of sugar. The final gravity on this one must be around 1.100, as it seems it would have been better if the yeast had stuck it out for a little longer and consumed some of the residual sugars in this one. As is, it's as if you took a good imperial stout and chucked a teaspoon of table sugar in there.

Medium-full and very slick on the palate with lasting sweetness.

Drinkability is surprisingly good considering. This is one that I really expected to like, but it ended up being just above average. I've got a couple of 2008 bottles aging right now. Once those get another year or two on them, I'll bust it out again and give it another shot.

4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

This freak of nature comes with a yield sign as a bottle cap. Very boozy on the nose, but drinks much more pleasurably. Dark, murky brown with little to no carbonation or lacing. Dark fruit and burnt toffee flavors. I liken it to a dense chocolate parfait with overripe raspberry sauce. Many different layers of malt flavors. Smooth, and the booze is warming but not overly hot.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this at the Georgetown Pizzaria Paradiso in Washington D.C. Delicious, first rate beer. But be warned, at 18%, it will knock you down and not even glance at you as it steals your wallet. My one knock is that it was a bit too sweet, and a touch overwhelming. After a few sips, the mouth begins to numb a bit, and suddenly the sweetness seems more in line. It's an interesting beer in that it brings you down to its level, on its terms, and you will have to submit. Fantastic beer though, a stout man's stout, and certainly not for the weak of heart. Enjoy, don't forget to eat.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled 11/17/09. From notes 01/25/10.

Body is black and very dense. Absolutely no light gets through. With the assist of a sturdy pour a smallish light brown head forms and immediately fades. Not all that surprising for such a big stout though.

Nose is extremely sweet. Tons of molasses, caramel, and brown sugar. Also some hints of chocolate and toasted marshmallows. Alcohol is pretty obvious on this young bottle but overall I'd say the mix works for the most part.

Flavor mirrors the aroma but I'm finding the sweetness a little overwhelming. I can't get the marshmallow image out of my head. I'm also getting a fruity character I wasn't getting on smell, raisins mostly. Boozy flavor is slightly rough but not completely out of control. I see why this a popular candidate for aging.

Medium-full body, alcohol heat isn't that bad in the mouthfeel although it burns a bit in the throat and chest.

Not bad but didn't enjoy this nearly as much as I hoped. Something seems to be missing and it definitely needs more time to mellow. I'll have to age one for awhile and see how it improves.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Poured into my Stone IRS tulip during the AFC championship. A deep dark black beer with light seeping through only at the meniscus. Came out like a weakly carbonated cola...immediate two finger fizzy head that dissipated quickly to absolutely nothing. Literally, there isn't a single bubble of any kind on the top of my beer; a swirl lets a few rise, but again, they quickly disappear upon surfacing. Sometimes seen in this style, but not what I prefer.

A very rich smell that is not nearly as alcoholic as I would have expected; when I really get my nose down in there and take a huge sniff, I can get the alcohol, but it is impressively masked. I'm quite impressed with this guy. An intense and rich smelling beer - malty, sweet...heavy smelling. A definite presence of some fruit...cherries? There's some vanilla in there as well as some chocolate. As it warms up, the alcohol is a bit more present (it is 18% remember) but still not overwhelming the rest of the beer.

The taste of this completely surprised me. I've had numerous 120s from DFH, but this is my first World Wide Stout. The taste definitely reminds me of the 120. It is smooth and very creamy with that slick taste you get from the higher ABV beers. Tastes of sweet ripe fruits, but definitely not the cherries I was smelling. The biting alcohol presence is masked, but it definitely lets you know that it packs a punch. A very sweet taste, start to finish. I really do enjoy this, but still can't get over the difference between the smell and taste. Ok, as this thing warms up, I'm retracting my "lack of cherries" statement. I'm getting some dark cherry in there.

This is one big bad beer. Very low carbonation with a thick and creamy mouthfeel. Well masked alcohol makes it more drinkable...but still, this isn't a beer you put away quickly. I certainly slowed down on this one as the game progressed. Even as I sit back between sips, I taste the dried beer on my lips. This beer hangs around for sure!

Consumed on 1/24/2010

3.1/5  rDev -26.2%

Pours an inky black hue with no head

Smells of malt and barley

Tastes Caramel, Almond, Barley. Tons of barley up front and very thick, syrupy alcohol feel. Heavy carbonation

Heavy mouthfeel

Low drinkability due to the heavy mouthfeel and syrupy texture.

3.23/5  rDev -23.1%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a DFH signature goblet - cheers to proper glassware!

A: Jet black body with dark brown highlights when held to bright light; above is a quarter-inch light brown head that sprints away immediately and completely. Quite appropriately intimidating.

S: No mistaking this for a high-test Dogfish brew: pure nail-polish remover/alcohol. No malts, no hops, just the medicinal booze. Just what I expected, if not what I might have hoped for.

T: Yup, just overwhelming fruity/medicinal alcohol. In a blind tasting it might be tough for me to tell this from a slightly-aged 120, an Olde School Barleywine, or even a Fort (those are the only other high-ABV DFH offerings I've had, but since they all have such a similar taste I have to assume that all the 15%+ ones do). I like it just fine, but it's still a bit disappointing to find a stout that doesn't taste even remotely like a stout.

M: Not so much thick as syrupy and sticky. No discernible carbonation, especially during the second half of the glass. Not great.

D: Drinkability? We don't need no stinking drinkability. For what it is, I can't really complain.

Notes: I'd love to try an aged bottle of this (5+ years), but fresh on tap it really wasn't anything special. Fun to try, though.

Cheers!

4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

2007 bottle poured into my DFH snifter. Pitch black (obviously), very thick and silky. Nearly no head.

Smell is intense. One of the sweetest smelling beers I've experienced. Dark molasses, raisins, vanilla, maple syrup, chocolate, grapes, plums... there's so much going on here.

Taste is again, exceptionally sweet. More plums, raisins, vanilla, and molasses. It's pretty ridiculous how smooth this is considering the unbelievably high ABV.

This is a really unique beer, and it pulls off the high ABV without making it too much of a chore to finish. I re-reviewed this thinking I might've overrated it the first time, but have probably ended up keeping my score around the same.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

This is my first World Wide Stout. Marking on the bottle says it was bottled 11/17/09. It's been a few months, but I'm sure that won't matter much for this beast.

Pours a pitch black with no head, thing ring around the top. Sweet and hot/alcohol aromas blend perfectly together, more alcohol than sweet, there's a little burn to it, like rubbing alcohol. Oh boy.

First sip is a doozy! Full body, subtle carbonation gives way to some alcohol and vanilla. the first sip is a hot one, but a few sips in more flavors come out. There seems to to be some sweet, almost citrus flavors in there. Hints of orange creamsicle? Notes of coffee are hiding behind the sweeter flavors. This brew comes close to Mikkeler's Black, but with less of a burning nail polish feel to it. It's far more drinkable, although definitely one to take easy. I'll be kickin back with one for a while.

for it's price I actually might go back and get few more the the cellar (I initially bought two). This would be a great beer to try every few years. High marks because such a big beer displays care, not random acts of BREWtality.

4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Dark cherries are the most prominent component. Burnet cedar wood, licorice, noticeable alcohol, and a hint of tobacco.

Taste: Holy cow complex. About five different flavor stages. At first there is a brief nod to standard roastiness, and an alcohol bit as it warms, which lasts about 200 milliseconds. Then a very sweet profile of ripe and juicy dark fruits (cherries) that have a woody edge emerge and are incredibly smooth for 18% ABV. The flavor then explodes to a top note that is even slightly more sweet (brown sugar) but is dominated by cedar wood flavors, licorice, and even some citrusy-lemony notes come through. Alcohol comes through here, as it warms up especially, but it adds to the complexity and is pleasant. This is a sweet beer, no question, but as it warms it verges on being like a cloying cherry syrup at times, but it never quite crosses the line since the alcohol (mostly) balances it out. At this point the palette and the bear slowly relents to a dry, oaky, not too roasty finish.

Notes: A truly inspiring brew. The roasted flavors do underlie the whole operation and provide a stable foundation, but there is so much more to this.

3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

My first WW Stout, bottled just about 2 months ago.

Pours black, but surprisingly allows some light through around the edges, offering some red highlights and revealing great clarity. There was a fizzy tan head for a few seconds, and no lacing.

Smells boozy, but far less than many with half the strength of this big boy, and there is a modest burn associated. A prominent licorice/anise presence shares the stage with some smoky notes and some light roast underneath.

The taste is pretty much dominated by alcohol. Cellar time could help to mitigate this, and I assume this is probably standard protocol for folks more experienced with this brew. Additionally, it is malty sweet, but less so than expected, with licorice/anise flavors playing a starring role. Lightly smoky with roasted barley, and a balancing hop bitterness. It finishes clean. But the boozy dominance makes nuance hard to find.

Undeniable alcoholic burn, not just warming, leads the way. Aside from that, it is rich and chewy, full bodied, with exceptionally thick viscosity. I like it, but have to dock the score for the burn. With the heat turned down, it would be awesome.

Obviously meant to be savored and sipped, which is what I did. But each sip begs another, and I had no trouble finishing a 12oz bottle. I look forward to putting some age on some of this stuff and seeing what happens. It's obviously a boundary pushing brew, and I appreciate that, but this particular bottle was quite hot (and at 18% not unexpected).

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

On tap at Sergio's World Beers, Louisville, KY.

Pitch black beer with minimal tan foam. Lacing, but not significant.

Plums, alcohol, and chocolate. I was hoping for a little more complexity, but the strong alcohol makes it difficult for other flavors to come across.

Same for the flavor, but a great deal of depth that doesn't come across in the smell. Some dates and a touch of spicy something, but is fleeting and minor to the palate.

Dense and warm, it's a very good stout. Easy to drink and very sneaky about the alcohol.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip

A - Rough pour yields only a 1/3" head. Head is tan in color which is a stark contrast to the black as night beer. No light gets through this. Impressive and ominous looking. Head is now gone altogether before even tasting it.

S - Sweet, cola, dark fruit and a faint wiff of alcohol in the nose. A little ester in there as well.

T - Very sweet, tangy dark fruit. Very layered. Did I mention sweet? Have to appreciate the complexity here even though it is more sweet than I would prefer.

MF - Thick, heavy, syrupy, smooth with limited carbonation and some alcohol burn. Feels like a big beer. Very nice an consistent as it goes down.

D - Really sweet, really heavy, high ABV and like $8 for 12oz. Soooo...not really that drinkable, but they aren't going for that. Even so, for an IRS this is a bit too much.

Overall...gotta try it. Fun ride, very layered and complex. Missing some bitterness to balance the massive malts in this one. Huge beer.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

2009 bottle into pint glass

pitch black body with little head retention. no light whatsoever. the smell is a bit weird. smells like a fish, malt, banana smoothie. oh yeah, there a good lot of booze. the taste is much better than the smell. boozy, malty, choco, pretty delicious. the feel and d-bility is off, too thin and the alcohol will obviously impair some drinkers.

4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

12 oz bottle dated 11/17/09 poured in to a snifter.

Pours pitch black with a somewhat thin tan head.

Boozy smell of smooth roated malt with some slight banana. Slight hoparoma.

Taste is a bright smooth malty taste that is lively with alcohol. A somewhat winey taste is different than any beer I have had.

Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is good considering the massive booze.

I didn't know what to expect out of this, but the key is patience with this beer.

2.95/5  rDev -29.8%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield IL

7oz. pour in what looks like a tiny juice glass. (Side note: This is my only gripe with Brixies. They serve a lot of their beers in snifters, but the real high alcohol beers they serve in an unflattering juice glass that does nothing to accentuate the beer)

It pours a dark rubyish brown with no head to speak of.

The nose has a huge amount of sweetness, vaguely medicinal similar to Robitussin is the only way I can describe it.

The taste has an overwhelming sweetness to it. Once again I'm getting cough medicine flavors and maybe cherry cough drop. Very overly noticeably boozy. Once I get past those harsher flavors I can pick up some deep caramel notes.

I liked the lower amount of carbonation of this one vs. the bottle form. The burning alcohol really hinders drinkability even for a beer with such high ABV.

This fresh version is night and day compared to the 5 year old version I had a few weeks ago. This keg should have been sat on for at least a year to mellow out. I would gladly drink the aged version again but would think twice about it fresh.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

OK...I am expecting a HUUUGE stout here. I have heard some great things about Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout, and with an ABV of 18%, I am expecting this thing to be powerful. "Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley" is its tagline and Dogfish Head even suggests it as a desert. I am thus expecting a dense, sweet, thick brew with a crazy amount of malt character. I let this beer sit out of the refrigerator for about an hour. It will pour at about 50 degrees rather than the typical 35-40.

It poured a pitch black and the body looks pretty...well...stout. I like my thick beers exactly that...thick! I like the color of the head...a darker tan, but not as dark as I'd expected...enticing nonetheless.

I have to say that I am not overly-impressed with its nose. The World Wide Stout pretty much smells like any other stout. that's definitely not what I expected given the hype behind this beer. A hint of chocolatey goodness hits me, which is a very redeeming factor as I have a weakness of chocolate undertones.

The sweet and tangy hit just right on the taste level. The roasted barley is over the top, just as advertised. Dogfish Head describes this stout more of a port wine than a regular session beer. I can definitely see the comparison. An ice wine is pretty accurate. The over-the-top barley, which is my favorite characteristic of a great stout, is pretty present here, and I give DFH their props.

I really like the consistency...definitely above average. It's very thick and despite the alcohol, which is a thinner, the World Wide Stout stands up. Its warmness gives me the chills and the barley is so sweet...yummmm.

No beer I ever review will ever be considered a session beer unless I am bored and am looking or some content. So drinkability is a hard thing to pinpoint. Can I sit down and have 10 of these? No...not without puking in the corner. But I can sit down with some friends with some great conversation and feel wht warmth come over me with just one order. I have high expectations of Dogfish Head, and this stout is one of the tops in their class.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Bottle of unknown age, but I suspect between 1-2 years old.

Very dark brown, a bit of head that fades to a ring.

Alcohol and sweetness in the smell. Also burned malts, leather, and soy sauce. The high alcohol gives it mostly sort of an organic solvent sort of smell.

Very malty and really sugary, some roastedness, with oak and dark fruits. Yum! Was evocative of a Samichlaus, only darker.

Mouthfeel slick and viscous. seems to evaporate from your mouth a bit in that high-alcohol sort of way.

I didn't know what to expect with this, and I'm sometimes disappointed by high-abv beers, but I felt it was an excellent sipper. The alcohol content was extreme, but the taste was not. It was complex, but not overpowering. This was actually quite pleasant.

1.8/5  rDev -57.1%

I must be missing something because everyone seems to love this beer (and, for that matter, Dogfish Head, which I also don't seem to "get").

I'm not up on my tasting formalities, so I'll forgo the usual format and say this:

+ Extremely malty. Not necessarily a bad thing on its own, but in this case it was overwhelmingly, sickly sweet.

+ "HOT". The dominant flavor was that of alcohol. If I wanted that, I'd reach for my scotch cabinet.

Any time I have to pour something out, there's a problem.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

A: Black! Thick gulps lapped out beautifully into my glass. No head on mine. A thin ring of hazy white rims the glass, and a few dime size islands of foam skirt the surface, and that is it.

S: A boozey, chocolate overtone, with undertones of coffee, cherry, and oak.

T: Excellent round, rich chocolate, with a thick syrup-like cherry undertone. Subtle oak and the gentle sting of alcohol wrap the tongue.

M: Smooth, with an alcohol sting that lingers on your taste-buds.

D: So delicious you can easily have a few bottles of this... pair wisely however, for this would probably destroy the flavor in a light pasta dish, but a glass or tow of this with a roast would be delightful to say the least.... or pizza. This is strong.. I can feel my brain tickle from just a few gulps... so respect the beer!

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A: This beer pours a very very dark black and is extremely opaque. It is topped with a fine tan colored head... very good lacing.

S: The smell has a burbony sugary sweet quality to it. Molasses and chocolate malt follow on the nose. There is alot going on here, smells intense.

T: This is a HUGE beer! Tons going on with an amazingly long finish. Dark chocolate and wood hit the palate first. Candied walnut and maybe candied fig follow the boozy chocolate. Esters linger after bitterness and then back to fruit... It keeps finishing.... I would love to try 3 year+ old bottle of this.

M: Very rich and tacky... there is a very lingering finish. This beer sticks to everything.

D: not bad for an 18% beer but its clearly a night cap sort of dessert type of beer. Your not going to drink more than one... and even that one should probably be shared.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

My favorite part of the beer was the aroma. It had this very intense chocolaty smell that while sipping was very pleasing to the senses.

Very stiff alcohol flavor was left on the tongue after being swallowed.

It was smooth and had a coating mouth feel, which is one of my favorite aspects of stouts.

Very powerful full flavor. I would drink it to end an evening, but only have one, because of the alcohol content.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

A - poured into a pint glass. Not much head or lacing. Super dark and oily, bit of perceptible tan on the fringes.

S - lots of burnt grains, booze, and smoke

T - like the smell, overall, but the syrupy malt sweetness quickly dominates the other flavors (except maybe the smoke). Toward the end it becomes quite boozy.

M - chewy and oily with a dry finish. Lovely.

D - like fire water, flavored with the above aromas. In fairness, it didn't say 18% anywhere on the label (perhaps covered by the price tag) so I hadn't prepared a slow, contemplative environment -- I'd just taken a quick glance at the small bottle and pulled it out as an accompaniment to spicy dinner. Even so, sipping it here an hour later with Internets info at hand, I'm having a tough time with it. (And I really liked the far stronger Sam Adams Utopias, for reference.)

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery