World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
4.48/5  rDev +6.7%

Had this at the Georgetown Pizzaria Paradiso in Washington D.C. Delicious, first rate beer. But be warned, at 18%, it will knock you down and not even glance at you as it steals your wallet. My one knock is that it was a bit too sweet, and a touch overwhelming. After a few sips, the mouth begins to numb a bit, and suddenly the sweetness seems more in line. It's an interesting beer in that it brings you down to its level, on its terms, and you will have to submit. Fantastic beer though, a stout man's stout, and certainly not for the weak of heart. Enjoy, don't forget to eat.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. Bottled 11/17/09. From notes 01/25/10.

Body is black and very dense. Absolutely no light gets through. With the assist of a sturdy pour a smallish light brown head forms and immediately fades. Not all that surprising for such a big stout though.

Nose is extremely sweet. Tons of molasses, caramel, and brown sugar. Also some hints of chocolate and toasted marshmallows. Alcohol is pretty obvious on this young bottle but overall I'd say the mix works for the most part.

Flavor mirrors the aroma but I'm finding the sweetness a little overwhelming. I can't get the marshmallow image out of my head. I'm also getting a fruity character I wasn't getting on smell, raisins mostly. Boozy flavor is slightly rough but not completely out of control. I see why this a popular candidate for aging.

Medium-full body, alcohol heat isn't that bad in the mouthfeel although it burns a bit in the throat and chest.

Not bad but didn't enjoy this nearly as much as I hoped. Something seems to be missing and it definitely needs more time to mellow. I'll have to age one for awhile and see how it improves.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Poured into my Stone IRS tulip during the AFC championship. A deep dark black beer with light seeping through only at the meniscus. Came out like a weakly carbonated cola...immediate two finger fizzy head that dissipated quickly to absolutely nothing. Literally, there isn't a single bubble of any kind on the top of my beer; a swirl lets a few rise, but again, they quickly disappear upon surfacing. Sometimes seen in this style, but not what I prefer.

A very rich smell that is not nearly as alcoholic as I would have expected; when I really get my nose down in there and take a huge sniff, I can get the alcohol, but it is impressively masked. I'm quite impressed with this guy. An intense and rich smelling beer - malty, sweet...heavy smelling. A definite presence of some fruit...cherries? There's some vanilla in there as well as some chocolate. As it warms up, the alcohol is a bit more present (it is 18% remember) but still not overwhelming the rest of the beer.

The taste of this completely surprised me. I've had numerous 120s from DFH, but this is my first World Wide Stout. The taste definitely reminds me of the 120. It is smooth and very creamy with that slick taste you get from the higher ABV beers. Tastes of sweet ripe fruits, but definitely not the cherries I was smelling. The biting alcohol presence is masked, but it definitely lets you know that it packs a punch. A very sweet taste, start to finish. I really do enjoy this, but still can't get over the difference between the smell and taste. Ok, as this thing warms up, I'm retracting my "lack of cherries" statement. I'm getting some dark cherry in there.

This is one big bad beer. Very low carbonation with a thick and creamy mouthfeel. Well masked alcohol makes it more drinkable...but still, this isn't a beer you put away quickly. I certainly slowed down on this one as the game progressed. Even as I sit back between sips, I taste the dried beer on my lips. This beer hangs around for sure!

Consumed on 1/24/2010

3.09/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours an inky black hue with no head

Smells of malt and barley

Tastes Caramel, Almond, Barley. Tons of barley up front and very thick, syrupy alcohol feel. Heavy carbonation

Heavy mouthfeel

Low drinkability due to the heavy mouthfeel and syrupy texture.

3.21/5  rDev -23.6%

On-tap at Prime 16 into a DFH signature goblet - cheers to proper glassware!

A: Jet black body with dark brown highlights when held to bright light; above is a quarter-inch light brown head that sprints away immediately and completely. Quite appropriately intimidating.

S: No mistaking this for a high-test Dogfish brew: pure nail-polish remover/alcohol. No malts, no hops, just the medicinal booze. Just what I expected, if not what I might have hoped for.

T: Yup, just overwhelming fruity/medicinal alcohol. In a blind tasting it might be tough for me to tell this from a slightly-aged 120, an Olde School Barleywine, or even a Fort (those are the only other high-ABV DFH offerings I've had, but since they all have such a similar taste I have to assume that all the 15%+ ones do). I like it just fine, but it's still a bit disappointing to find a stout that doesn't taste even remotely like a stout.

M: Not so much thick as syrupy and sticky. No discernible carbonation, especially during the second half of the glass. Not great.

D: Drinkability? We don't need no stinking drinkability. For what it is, I can't really complain.

Notes: I'd love to try an aged bottle of this (5+ years), but fresh on tap it really wasn't anything special. Fun to try, though.

Cheers!

4.52/5  rDev +7.6%

2007 bottle poured into my DFH snifter. Pitch black (obviously), very thick and silky. Nearly no head.

Smell is intense. One of the sweetest smelling beers I've experienced. Dark molasses, raisins, vanilla, maple syrup, chocolate, grapes, plums... there's so much going on here.

Taste is again, exceptionally sweet. More plums, raisins, vanilla, and molasses. It's pretty ridiculous how smooth this is considering the unbelievably high ABV.

This is a really unique beer, and it pulls off the high ABV without making it too much of a chore to finish. I re-reviewed this thinking I might've overrated it the first time, but have probably ended up keeping my score around the same.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

This is my first World Wide Stout. Marking on the bottle says it was bottled 11/17/09. It's been a few months, but I'm sure that won't matter much for this beast.

Pours a pitch black with no head, thing ring around the top. Sweet and hot/alcohol aromas blend perfectly together, more alcohol than sweet, there's a little burn to it, like rubbing alcohol. Oh boy.

First sip is a doozy! Full body, subtle carbonation gives way to some alcohol and vanilla. the first sip is a hot one, but a few sips in more flavors come out. There seems to to be some sweet, almost citrus flavors in there. Hints of orange creamsicle? Notes of coffee are hiding behind the sweeter flavors. This brew comes close to Mikkeler's Black, but with less of a burning nail polish feel to it. It's far more drinkable, although definitely one to take easy. I'll be kickin back with one for a while.

for it's price I actually might go back and get few more the the cellar (I initially bought two). This would be a great beer to try every few years. High marks because such a big beer displays care, not random acts of BREWtality.

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Source/Serving: Draft

Smell: Dark cherries are the most prominent component. Burnet cedar wood, licorice, noticeable alcohol, and a hint of tobacco.

Taste: Holy cow complex. About five different flavor stages. At first there is a brief nod to standard roastiness, and an alcohol bit as it warms, which lasts about 200 milliseconds. Then a very sweet profile of ripe and juicy dark fruits (cherries) that have a woody edge emerge and are incredibly smooth for 18% ABV. The flavor then explodes to a top note that is even slightly more sweet (brown sugar) but is dominated by cedar wood flavors, licorice, and even some citrusy-lemony notes come through. Alcohol comes through here, as it warms up especially, but it adds to the complexity and is pleasant. This is a sweet beer, no question, but as it warms it verges on being like a cloying cherry syrup at times, but it never quite crosses the line since the alcohol (mostly) balances it out. At this point the palette and the bear slowly relents to a dry, oaky, not too roasty finish.

Notes: A truly inspiring brew. The roasted flavors do underlie the whole operation and provide a stable foundation, but there is so much more to this.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

My first WW Stout, bottled just about 2 months ago.

Pours black, but surprisingly allows some light through around the edges, offering some red highlights and revealing great clarity. There was a fizzy tan head for a few seconds, and no lacing.

Smells boozy, but far less than many with half the strength of this big boy, and there is a modest burn associated. A prominent licorice/anise presence shares the stage with some smoky notes and some light roast underneath.

The taste is pretty much dominated by alcohol. Cellar time could help to mitigate this, and I assume this is probably standard protocol for folks more experienced with this brew. Additionally, it is malty sweet, but less so than expected, with licorice/anise flavors playing a starring role. Lightly smoky with roasted barley, and a balancing hop bitterness. It finishes clean. But the boozy dominance makes nuance hard to find.

Undeniable alcoholic burn, not just warming, leads the way. Aside from that, it is rich and chewy, full bodied, with exceptionally thick viscosity. I like it, but have to dock the score for the burn. With the heat turned down, it would be awesome.

Obviously meant to be savored and sipped, which is what I did. But each sip begs another, and I had no trouble finishing a 12oz bottle. I look forward to putting some age on some of this stuff and seeing what happens. It's obviously a boundary pushing brew, and I appreciate that, but this particular bottle was quite hot (and at 18% not unexpected).

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%

On tap at Sergio's World Beers, Louisville, KY.

Pitch black beer with minimal tan foam. Lacing, but not significant.

Plums, alcohol, and chocolate. I was hoping for a little more complexity, but the strong alcohol makes it difficult for other flavors to come across.

Same for the flavor, but a great deal of depth that doesn't come across in the smell. Some dates and a touch of spicy something, but is fleeting and minor to the palate.

Dense and warm, it's a very good stout. Easy to drink and very sneaky about the alcohol.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip

A - Rough pour yields only a 1/3" head. Head is tan in color which is a stark contrast to the black as night beer. No light gets through this. Impressive and ominous looking. Head is now gone altogether before even tasting it.

S - Sweet, cola, dark fruit and a faint wiff of alcohol in the nose. A little ester in there as well.

T - Very sweet, tangy dark fruit. Very layered. Did I mention sweet? Have to appreciate the complexity here even though it is more sweet than I would prefer.

MF - Thick, heavy, syrupy, smooth with limited carbonation and some alcohol burn. Feels like a big beer. Very nice an consistent as it goes down.

D - Really sweet, really heavy, high ABV and like $8 for 12oz. Soooo...not really that drinkable, but they aren't going for that. Even so, for an IRS this is a bit too much.

Overall...gotta try it. Fun ride, very layered and complex. Missing some bitterness to balance the massive malts in this one. Huge beer.

3.84/5  rDev -8.6%

2009 bottle into pint glass

pitch black body with little head retention. no light whatsoever. the smell is a bit weird. smells like a fish, malt, banana smoothie. oh yeah, there a good lot of booze. the taste is much better than the smell. boozy, malty, choco, pretty delicious. the feel and d-bility is off, too thin and the alcohol will obviously impair some drinkers.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

12 oz bottle dated 11/17/09 poured in to a snifter.

Pours pitch black with a somewhat thin tan head.

Boozy smell of smooth roated malt with some slight banana. Slight hoparoma.

Taste is a bright smooth malty taste that is lively with alcohol. A somewhat winey taste is different than any beer I have had.

Mouthfeel is good and drinkability is good considering the massive booze.

I didn't know what to expect out of this, but the key is patience with this beer.

2.93/5  rDev -30.2%

On tap at Brixies in Brookfield IL

7oz. pour in what looks like a tiny juice glass. (Side note: This is my only gripe with Brixies. They serve a lot of their beers in snifters, but the real high alcohol beers they serve in an unflattering juice glass that does nothing to accentuate the beer)

It pours a dark rubyish brown with no head to speak of.

The nose has a huge amount of sweetness, vaguely medicinal similar to Robitussin is the only way I can describe it.

The taste has an overwhelming sweetness to it. Once again I'm getting cough medicine flavors and maybe cherry cough drop. Very overly noticeably boozy. Once I get past those harsher flavors I can pick up some deep caramel notes.

I liked the lower amount of carbonation of this one vs. the bottle form. The burning alcohol really hinders drinkability even for a beer with such high ABV.

This fresh version is night and day compared to the 5 year old version I had a few weeks ago. This keg should have been sat on for at least a year to mellow out. I would gladly drink the aged version again but would think twice about it fresh.

3.87/5  rDev -7.9%

OK...I am expecting a HUUUGE stout here. I have heard some great things about Dogfish Head's World Wide Stout, and with an ABV of 18%, I am expecting this thing to be powerful. "Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley" is its tagline and Dogfish Head even suggests it as a desert. I am thus expecting a dense, sweet, thick brew with a crazy amount of malt character. I let this beer sit out of the refrigerator for about an hour. It will pour at about 50 degrees rather than the typical 35-40.

It poured a pitch black and the body looks pretty...well...stout. I like my thick beers exactly that...thick! I like the color of the head...a darker tan, but not as dark as I'd expected...enticing nonetheless.

I have to say that I am not overly-impressed with its nose. The World Wide Stout pretty much smells like any other stout. that's definitely not what I expected given the hype behind this beer. A hint of chocolatey goodness hits me, which is a very redeeming factor as I have a weakness of chocolate undertones.

The sweet and tangy hit just right on the taste level. The roasted barley is over the top, just as advertised. Dogfish Head describes this stout more of a port wine than a regular session beer. I can definitely see the comparison. An ice wine is pretty accurate. The over-the-top barley, which is my favorite characteristic of a great stout, is pretty present here, and I give DFH their props.

I really like the consistency...definitely above average. It's very thick and despite the alcohol, which is a thinner, the World Wide Stout stands up. Its warmness gives me the chills and the barley is so sweet...yummmm.

No beer I ever review will ever be considered a session beer unless I am bored and am looking or some content. So drinkability is a hard thing to pinpoint. Can I sit down and have 10 of these? No...not without puking in the corner. But I can sit down with some friends with some great conversation and feel wht warmth come over me with just one order. I have high expectations of Dogfish Head, and this stout is one of the tops in their class.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Bottle of unknown age, but I suspect between 1-2 years old.

Very dark brown, a bit of head that fades to a ring.

Alcohol and sweetness in the smell. Also burned malts, leather, and soy sauce. The high alcohol gives it mostly sort of an organic solvent sort of smell.

Very malty and really sugary, some roastedness, with oak and dark fruits. Yum! Was evocative of a Samichlaus, only darker.

Mouthfeel slick and viscous. seems to evaporate from your mouth a bit in that high-alcohol sort of way.

I didn't know what to expect with this, and I'm sometimes disappointed by high-abv beers, but I felt it was an excellent sipper. The alcohol content was extreme, but the taste was not. It was complex, but not overpowering. This was actually quite pleasant.

1.9/5  rDev -54.8%

I must be missing something because everyone seems to love this beer (and, for that matter, Dogfish Head, which I also don't seem to "get").

I'm not up on my tasting formalities, so I'll forgo the usual format and say this:

+ Extremely malty. Not necessarily a bad thing on its own, but in this case it was overwhelmingly, sickly sweet.

+ "HOT". The dominant flavor was that of alcohol. If I wanted that, I'd reach for my scotch cabinet.

Any time I have to pour something out, there's a problem.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Black! Thick gulps lapped out beautifully into my glass. No head on mine. A thin ring of hazy white rims the glass, and a few dime size islands of foam skirt the surface, and that is it.

S: A boozey, chocolate overtone, with undertones of coffee, cherry, and oak.

T: Excellent round, rich chocolate, with a thick syrup-like cherry undertone. Subtle oak and the gentle sting of alcohol wrap the tongue.

M: Smooth, with an alcohol sting that lingers on your taste-buds.

D: So delicious you can easily have a few bottles of this... pair wisely however, for this would probably destroy the flavor in a light pasta dish, but a glass or tow of this with a roast would be delightful to say the least.... or pizza. This is strong.. I can feel my brain tickle from just a few gulps... so respect the beer!

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

A: This beer pours a very very dark black and is extremely opaque. It is topped with a fine tan colored head... very good lacing.

S: The smell has a burbony sugary sweet quality to it. Molasses and chocolate malt follow on the nose. There is alot going on here, smells intense.

T: This is a HUGE beer! Tons going on with an amazingly long finish. Dark chocolate and wood hit the palate first. Candied walnut and maybe candied fig follow the boozy chocolate. Esters linger after bitterness and then back to fruit... It keeps finishing.... I would love to try 3 year+ old bottle of this.

M: Very rich and tacky... there is a very lingering finish. This beer sticks to everything.

D: not bad for an 18% beer but its clearly a night cap sort of dessert type of beer. Your not going to drink more than one... and even that one should probably be shared.

4.42/5  rDev +5.2%

My favorite part of the beer was the aroma. It had this very intense chocolaty smell that while sipping was very pleasing to the senses.

Very stiff alcohol flavor was left on the tongue after being swallowed.

It was smooth and had a coating mouth feel, which is one of my favorite aspects of stouts.

Very powerful full flavor. I would drink it to end an evening, but only have one, because of the alcohol content.

3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

A - poured into a pint glass. Not much head or lacing. Super dark and oily, bit of perceptible tan on the fringes.

S - lots of burnt grains, booze, and smoke

T - like the smell, overall, but the syrupy malt sweetness quickly dominates the other flavors (except maybe the smoke). Toward the end it becomes quite boozy.

M - chewy and oily with a dry finish. Lovely.

D - like fire water, flavored with the above aromas. In fairness, it didn't say 18% anywhere on the label (perhaps covered by the price tag) so I hadn't prepared a slow, contemplative environment -- I'd just taken a quick glance at the small bottle and pulled it out as an accompaniment to spicy dinner. Even so, sipping it here an hour later with Internets info at hand, I'm having a tough time with it. (And I really liked the far stronger Sam Adams Utopias, for reference.)

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

This 12-oz bottle was a gift in Jan. '10 but had been cellared -- not sure what vintage it is, no date on bottle. Thanks, Mike, for this one.

A: Poured into a Leffe goblet. It's pretty thick but not like some barrel-aged D/RIS. A 1-inch head quickly dissipated into a fingernail-thick caramel-color lacing.

S: Harsh alcohol fumes at first while it came up to temperature. Then, dark roasts, syrup, smoke, vanilla marshmallow.

T: First impression was how mellow the alcohol was -- at 18%, I was expecting to be overwhelmed, but it hids its alcohol incredibly well. That said, it's still there, but there is enough balance in this complex beer (oxymoron? not for dfh) to make you focus on elements other than the alcohol. Every subsequent sip as it came to room temp and after revealed more layers -- sweet, bitter, roasted.

M: Surprisingly, despite the fast-fading head and high alcohol content (and, in my bottle's case, cellar aging), there was a lively carbonation on the mouthfeel -- tiny bubbles surrounding and building around the tongue. Really pleasant, and helped keep this from being too syrupy sweet.

D: Obviously, one is enough -- but that's a good thing. You'll be content and contemplative. How often can you say that about one beer?

1.48/5  rDev -64.8%

This is a candidate for the worst beer I've ever tasted. (American macros notwithstanding).

A- Looks good, but not much head.

S- Smells like nail-polish remover. How appetizing is that?

T- I first tried it in a British mug, then poured it into a North Coast Brewing Co. brandy snifter-style glass. It tasted sickly sweet and awful, either way. Way too much alcohol. Warming it doesn't help.

M- For the supposed style, it didn't have much mouthfeel.

D- I am a huge fan of Imperial Stouts, (Old Rasputin is my favorite), Barley Wines (Bigfoot rules!), and Belgian Strong Ales (Trois Pistoles, Chimay Blue, Gulden Draak). This is the opposite of any of those, in quality.

So far, I have hardly been impressed by Dogfish Head. Bigger isn't always better. This is truly a low-point in my beer tasting.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

12 oz bottle into a tulip/goblet hybrid

A - Pours extremely dark, used motor oil consistency. Up against the light I can see very light amber highlights. Head formation is strong at 2-3mm, then dissipates down to a dirty brown head.

S - Heavily roasted, almost burnt malt comes through. Edgy, almost smokelike. Some light chocolate comes through. What does come through is the high alcohol, which is well hidden.

T - Starts off with a malt sweetness which is immediately dominated by that over the top roasted barley flavor. Mid-stream shows some bitterness, and only a light hop note. Overall roast/malt forward. Finishes with a very deep, dark chocolate note - super bittersweet. Aftertaste has some hops that fight their way through enough to create the bitterness.

M - Very thick, but still not as much as I would expect from this hefty of a malt bill. Some carbonation bite. Very oily, clinging, sweet, and resinous at the same time.

D - Almost a misnomer for the style. Very hard to classify this as drinkable overall. ABV is mind-numbing. A bit filling at times. However, in the DIS world, I don't find this one as breaking the standards one way or the other.

An enjoyable stout, but for 9.99 I'll go elsewhere for more bang for my buck and "drinkability".

4.02/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from 12oz bottle into Chimay Glassware.

A- Black, Black and black with 1/2 finger tan head that dissapated quickly leaving minimal lacing.

S- Nice roasted barley/malt scents, HOT loads of alcohol on the nose like a whiskey/bourbon scent, definate soy sauce smell on this one.

T- Loads of roasted barley/malt, chocolate, coffee, the alcohol is there slightly disguised by a huge barley/bourbon spike on the mid to back palate, soy sauce comes through on the backend. Very nice flavors that change with each sip.

M- Very heavy thick beer with little carbonation.

D- Good, very high ABV means this is a definate sipper, only thing that helps it is the great flavors that come through. I have one more that I will try again in a couple of years once it has mellowed out a little bit.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery