World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Slick black appearance with the slightest amount of light coming in through the top... Thin slightly tan head...

S - Dark raspberry... Chocolate... Coffee... Roasted malt... Alcohol... A faint hint of vanilla...

T - Raisin... Butterscotch... Chocolate... Raspberry... Alcohol... Roasted malt... Exactly as I envision a world class stout to taste...

M - Full bodied... Syrupy and oily... Sleek... Fills mouth well and surprisingly smooth on the tongue... Warming...

D - Surprisingly drinkable for 18% ABV... Still a sipper, but a perfect way to relax after a long day... I would seek this out in the future... Highly sophisticated and enjoyable...

Update(2/27/14) - Just drank a bottle with 4.5 years of age and absolutely loved it... This is a fantastic brew all the way around and deserving of its high price.

philbe311, Dec 07, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Black with a brown ring of bubbles on the top. Chocolate, roasted malts, and alcohol make up the aroma. Heavily alcoholic taste with a nice blend of chocolate, currants, raisins, malt, vanilla, and oak. A little thinner than I would have liked. Bitter finish and a warm belly. Great beer, but hard to choke down the $9.90 for a 12-oz bottle.

magictrokini, Dec 05, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -11.9%

Thanks to ahatcher and the Brewgrass BIF!!
As black as burnt coal with the viscosity of coal sludge. Thin dark brown head but that's expected given the abv.
My reaction as I take a whiff is whoaa. Smells like fusal alcohol. You could put this stuff under the nose of an unconscious person and it'd put them right back on their feet. Hiding behind the heavy alcohol is the pleasent aromas of rich dark chocolate, plums, and woodsmoke.
Very complex as each sip reveals something new. Lot's of charcoal and roasted flavors. Kind of reminds me of steak grilled over charcoal. Big heavy fruit flavors. Plums, sour apples(grannysmith). Alcohol is bold in the flavor and kind of slaps you in the face. I kinda feel like this beer is telling me "You had the balls to drink me bitch", as it hits me upside the head. Very dry somewhat acidic finish.
Mouthfeel is thick and syrupy. I don't really like thick and syrupy mouthfeels but the dry finish kind of makes up for that. I don't know why, but I like how this beer leaves me thirsting for water after each sip.
The complexity of the WWS is amazing. But, imo the alcohol is too much. I wonder if Sam could keep the complexity but have an abv of 10-15%. Imho this would make for a truely great beer. That being said WWS has been a great experience drinking it. I'm glad I tried it and would drink it again, but not too often.

wcudwight, Dec 05, 2008
2.13/5  rDev -49.3%

2007 bottle

Pitch black pour with a small-sized khaki head.

Smells like ALCOHOL, port wine, coffee and strong malted barley. My girlfriend smelled it and shuddered.

Taste was similar to the smell: like a fortified wine. Alcohol was not masked or hidden at all.

Mouthfeel was very thick and syrupy. One of the only redeeming qualities of the beer besides its appearance.

Drinkability was very, very low. It was a drain pour, in fact. I usually enjoy strong beers, too.

gameface23, Dec 02, 2008

This is a monster of a beer. Pours a dark black with a tan head. Many scents in the aroma including, roasted malt, chocalte, coffee, dark fruit,etc. Unbelievably smooth taste given the 18% abv. Every sip reveals something new. Chocolate, coffee, roasted maltiness, licorice, fig, etc. This is my favorite beer from Dogfish Head.

corby112, Dec 02, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Poured this dark deep rusty colored black beer into a pint glass. Where the aroma was a good port smell with a balance of the hops and malts that I have come to expect from this brewery. The palates taste was that of good lingering stout. This is a great beer to use as a winter warmer as it just warms the mouth and the body as it embodies you.

Tolnik, Dec 02, 2008
1.98/5  rDev -52.9%

I am a huge fan of DFH and their uber beers. But I found the wws to be almost undrinkable. The aroma was sour with heavy alcohol. The color was brown black with little to no head. The flavor was sour and very hot alcohol. I had it out of a snifter, but I would have rather have saved the 10 bux. I love the palo santo and the raison d extra is one of the best beers that I have ever had, but this beer was next to undrinkable. I almost gagged while drinking it.

NoahSYGG, Dec 01, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +9%

What else can one say about the East Coast's premier craft brewery? Except, "keep em coming!"

This stout is superb in all possible ways a stout should be: the head is beige and spongy, the body dark black and inpenetrable. The nose is caressed with the inviting aroma of tawny port; the palate becomes innundated with the cloying balance of malt and hop.

This expression is truly complex in its ability to not only seduce the palate at first bite, but to linger around for while as you prepare for another sip.

While I would, nor could not, introduce the poor ignorant beer novice to this quaff, I would not hesitate to spend a quiet winter evening gloriously enjoying this wonderful elixir. Sam does it again ... and again.

jjboesen, Nov 30, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

12 oz bottle. Jet black pour with thin coffee head, nice lacing present during the entire tasting. Aroma of coffee, chocolate and roasted almonds. Despite the high ABV, there is very little alcohol flavor. Slightly dry bitter finish with molasses, raisins and malt. One of the best for a reason.

kevd193213, Nov 30, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Thanks to Greggy for sharing this monster. This beer pours a thick, opaque used motor oil black color. It is the thickest beer I have every poured. The head is minimal, and vanished quickly which is understandable giving the nature of this beer. The aroma is of paint thinner dipped in chocolate, but it a good way....a contemplative way. As the beer opens up it smells more like a tawny port with chocolate, and some butter. The taste is again like a tawny port with chocolate. There is some heat in the finish, but not nearly as much as I expected from a beer at 18% ABV. The mouthfeel is very, extremely full bodied, with low, very fine carbonation. Overall, this is a beer I would love to drink now and again. It is a sipper for sure, but sometimes that is what I'm in the mood for.

KarlHungus, Nov 20, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

Sampled Room temp - Thanks to JoeyBeerBelly for the trade

A- pours with a slight lace, black in color, not much head.

S- Initially, it's quite boozy, almost like a paint thinner (in a good way) covered in chocolate. As it sits, it opens up and very closely resembles a fine tawny port. Notes of chocolate, caramel, butterscotch and vanilla.

T- Nice port sweetness, chocolate, raisin, butterscotch, toffee. Delicious finish.

M- Amazing feel on the palette. Warming.

D- How they hid the 18% so well is beyond me, but although the alcohol can be felt (warming) this was extremely drinkable. This makes a great alternative to port.

Greggy, Nov 20, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -13.6%

12 ounce bottle courtesy of hoppymeal, thanks to Derek for the opportunity, 2002 vintage, vim and vigor crossed out with black marker, this particular year came in at 23% ABV, split with four friends last night, poured into my Dogfish Head snifter

A-Pours nearly black with ruby red around the edges, even a very aggressive pour did not warrant any head, so retention or lacing was not even an option
S-Smell is so complex, I originally thought alcohol would pretty much be the only thing detectable, there is maple syrup, port wine, cognac, green olives, milky cocoa, lots of sugar, and fermented raisins
T-Sweetness from the malts hit you first but it does not take long for the strength to make its presence me known, the label was not lying about their being a huge amount of barley in here either, roasted malts are very subtle for being a stout of this nature, taste does not change much as it warms in my hand other than being sweeter, the boozy flavor is not stronger either way, lots of cognac-like tastes throughout with syrupy sweetness lingering after the alcohol bite
M-Pungent, harsh, hot, syrupy, and sweet mouthfeel, body was much thinner than expected, not much carbonation at all, the taste lingered forever
D-Hard to swallow at times, booze were hidden well for how high the ABV is though, heavy on the stomach, definitely a sipper, this is pushing the limits between beer and hard liquor

This beer has aged nicely, I have had this stuff fresh before and it is overly hot then, this bottle has mellowed out quite a bit and is probably close to its prime unless it is already there, second strongest beer I have had next to last year's Utopias, I would like to drink this stuff again, I would probably sit on my next bottle for a few more years to see what happens though, it is not like there is not enough alcohol to hold it up, recommended but this specific vintage might be a little harder to track down, although it would be worth it

Floydster, Nov 09, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

A: Pours a thick, viscose nature with a dark, opaque color which was topped off by a sandy-tan colored head that didn't stick around to long.

S: The aroma bursts with dried fruit of raisins and cherries as well some booziness which is to be expected.

T: The flavor starts off sweet from the massive malt bill with dried fruit of raisins and cherries. Theres some dark chocolate notes as well a hint of smokiness. The ABV is extremely well hidden I thought, drinking more like an 8.0% rather the advertised 18.0%. A rich lingering roasted flavor is experienced on the finish as well a nice warming sensation. There is some tartness overall to the flavor.

M: thick, viscose and slightly syrupy with a quite surprisingly strong carbonation presence.

D: How could you not love this. Easy, smooth and your never see it coming until it hits you. Try to drink this one responsibly or you will surely pay. Great drink, and great experience.

beerthulhu, Nov 07, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Been saving this one for a long time...

Pours black. Small brown head which dissipated rather quickly leaving a collar.

Aroma of dark molasses, wood, heavy dark malts and some alcohol.

Taste is dark malts [X 100!], dark cherries, vanilla, burnt wood, dark chocolate and some sweetness. Very interesting.

Mouthfeel is heavy, lightly cleansing, smooth.

Overall, surprisingly drinkable. I would haev never guessed the ABV. Very easy to drink for the style [and ABV]. I liked this much, much more than I was expecting. A must try.

atigerlife, Oct 20, 2008
4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

Got the 2005 version of this on tap at the Brickskeller in Washington DC.

Pours completely opaque black with a half-finger of off-white head. The head dissipates quickly into almost nothing on top and a thin ring around the glass. There's not very much lacing.

Smells good. Mild amounts of many things - mainly sweet malt, dark fruits, and roasted malt, in that order. There's also a slight whiff of alcohol.

Tastes very good. Very sweet malt up front, similar to their 120 min, followed by dark fruits and a very mild hint of chocolate. The dark fruits make their way out even more as the beer warms - and it had plenty of time to warm, this is the definition of a sipper. There's kind of a dry finish but not really very much bitterness. The alcohol isn't nearly as noticeable as it probably should be, but it's there.

Mouthfeel is good. There's a very nice viscosity and the carbonation is just right.

Drinkability is good. For an ABV as high is this it's fantastic, but there's no way I could drink another one.

Overall I'm very glad I had the chance to try this aged in a keg. The flavors all mixed very nicely and the alcohol was hidden very well. Definitely give this one a try.

glid02, Oct 19, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle - 2007 Edition - Thanks to Josh

Pours an extremely viscous used motor oil black with a small tan head that maintains. Nice lacing on the tulip.

Intense aroma, sweet and super roasty with some rich woody and earthy tones. Tufts of chocolate and espresso sneak in, and certainly a noticable booziness that increases as it warms.

Sticky sweet upfront, loaded with dark roasted malts. Caramel, chocolate, and espresso compliment a very woody and earthy blend of flavors. Noticable hop bitterness, but not nearly enough to offset the sheer immense volume of malt. Finishes sweet with a bit of an herbal hop flavor, and a lingering roasted malt taste. Definite big alcohol presnece that warms my belly.

Enormous body, mild carbonation.

As wonderful of an experience as this beer is, it is as much of a sipper as you will find. Share it with a friend or two, and pair it with some choclolate....

MaltyGoodness, Oct 01, 2008
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%

I wish the alc was a bit lower on this brew. Stunning complexity, dark rich and a great finish but the mid and finish just has that 18% alc lingering. This can be shared with 10 people easily. Dark malt, smoke, vanilla coco. Classic stout flavors just taking to extremes. Could see this aging for years if the alc doesn't burn everything up!

paytoplay, Sep 15, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

2007 version generously provided to me by JB. Many thanks my friend. Many thanks (especially through all you had to go to in order to finally get it to MN).
Poured into oversized Ridel wine glass. The intensity of the malt aroma almost brings out a toxic/plastic/lighter fluid quality, that is not off-putting just really interesting (reminds me of the smell of shooting off our potato cannon). I suppose that's partially alcohol, but hopefully it's not fusel. Rich and deep.
I poured aggressively and initially got a very dark 1/2 inch head but in short order it became a ring only, but it does leave some dots of lacing, which is kinda' curious.
Wow, that's rich and thick and holds many of the flavors matched by the aroma (I'm tasting aerosol lighter fluid, yet somehow I don't mind and I actually like it). There is also a nice sweetness that's more than just dark fruit (molasses sort of, it's creating a picture of Christmas in my head, dark sweet cakes and baked goods, some ginger and candy-like).
Heavy body, but not particularly smooth due to the sharpness of the malt and the alcohol. Plus, despite the lack of head the carbonation is there in both the filling gas but also in the feel (again somewhat sharp). A unique feel. I have no idea what the abv is on this, but it's hidden incredibly well. Only slight warming in the gut and no burning in the flavor. Nicely done.
Despite the weirdness of my description this is a really flavorful and tasty beer. Nero describes this well as it's indescribable beyond it's "World Wide Stout". Would I want another? Absolutely. This is a great drink to enjoy slowly and savor each sip. While not highly drinkable, I do feel I could have another, just imbibe slowly (therefore the high score in that category).
I want another.

garymuchow, Sep 13, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +7.9%

Pours completely black with a thin tan head. Nose is molasses with chocolate. I sniff and I sniff and whoa. It smells like port. For the love of beer, it frickin tastes like port!!! Holy bajeezers! A defined sweet tone of fruits starts off and a slight burn of alcohol kicks on the backside. Feel is slick and smooth on liquid and the carbonation is low. This is very drinkable and a new favorite. I want to see this beer after it's been laid down for 5 years and then 10. Killer!

RblWthACoz, Sep 11, 2008
2.53/5  rDev -39.8%

A: Opaque black, tiny head, bad retention, bad lacing. About what I expected.

S: Extremely alcoholic, prunes, banana - extremely cloyingly fruity smelling. I don't think I'll like it.

T: Very cloying, very alcoholic, very berry-flavored, with a hint of smokey barley malt in the background. Smoke flavor really comes out after swallowing, as does the realization that this is about as hard to drink as vodka. Prunes are very strong, with banana playing a background part. It's OK, but really overpowering - more than any other beer I've tasted. Once your palate adjusts, it's not all that bad.

M: Pretty syrupy, coats the mouth with sugar and alcohol. Non-astringent, decent carbonation. Medium-heavy bodied.

D: This has a lot more in common with a barley wine than a stout, and I find it almost undrinkable. The alcohol and sugar are simply too overpowering. I will not be purchasing this again, but it was an interesting experience.

ralree, Sep 07, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +11.9%

A: Pours a dark brown that most would probably call black. With an aggressive pour it had a quarter inch brown head that quickly settled down to a thin ring around the top of the liquid. That ring does leaves lacing behind with each sip. Looks good, but I prefer a lasting brown head on this style.

S: A strong roasted malt aroma mixed with coffee, chocolate, and a strong booze smell. Unlike some in the style, you do not have to get your nose wet on the end to pick up the aroma. It doesn't hide the fact that its a big beer.

T: Not what I expected at all. It is very molasses and dark fruit sweet mixed with booze at initial sip. The darker flavors do not hit you immediately. They do come in to play as it is swallowed leaving a wonderful taste in the mouth of vanilla, chocolate, coffee, and roasted malt. I do not recall another beer where the aftertaste is better than the initial flavor. It is so good, I would just wait for it to die down before taking another sip. This suits my taste better than any other stout I have ever tasted. Fantastic!

M: Very creamy and syrupy thick. There is very little in mouth carbonation that doesn't last long on the tongue. For the thickness and all the things going on with this one, it seems appropriate.

D: Is this a session beer? Hell no. However, for the style and the ABV, it is extremely drinkable. In fact, its a little too drinkable. I am glad I only had one of these because I would be hard pressed not to want to crack another even if it meant a sick day afterwards.

Why does Georgia have an ABV cap of 14%. I really wish I was able to get my hands on this whenever more bottles hit the shelves.

GatorBeerNerd, Aug 19, 2008
3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

12 ounce poured into a chalice.

A - Pours dark brown, with a 1/4 inch head that quickly drops to nothing.

S - Strong aroma of oak, chocolate, raisin. Slight alcohol scent.

T - Fruity, then bitter kicks in. Sweet almost all the way. Alcohol warmth.

M - Full body, syrupy, very little carbonation.

D - So sweet it's a sipper.

tedpeer, Aug 19, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

A : Pours a nice dark brown with a thin dark head

S : Real strong aroma. Lots of wood, vanilla, sweetness like brown sugar. You can smell the alcohol also

T : More of a barleywine flavor than an imperial stout. Roasted malt and barley flavors with some bourbon notes.

M : Creamy, thick, syrupy

D : Definitely a sipper but it's one that I'm really enjoying. Another fine brew from DFH

mhewes, Aug 17, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

Pours an intensely dark brown, nearly black, with minimal head a a good ring of lacing; appears thick, almost like sludge.

Scent is intense mix of roasted malts and barley, plenty of coffee, chocolate, oak, and prunes give this one great depth and complexity. Alcohol is very well hidden, hardly noticeable in the massive scent.

Taste is very intense, lots of sugars, roasted malts and barley return, as well as the coffee, chocolate, oak, and prunes. Alcohol again is well hidden and warms nicely on the finish.

Mouthfeel is thick and smooth with little carbonation, excellent. Drinks surprisingly good for the strength, though I would not recommend sharking this one back.

A massive, expertly brewed beer make this one a winner all around. At less than a year old I can only image what time will do to this one. I love big, over the top beers and this one surely sits near the top. A great Imperial Stout and a great example of what a beer can be.

paco1029384756, Aug 14, 2008
4.58/5  rDev +9%

This is an almost three year old bottle, stored in my cellar the whole time. Needed a little something special to cross the 1000 karmic mark, and this was as good a candidate as any. Served at cellar temp.

Into my Sierra Nevada snifter, the aroma immediately pours out of the bottle, intensifying in the glass. And when smelled up close, I realize, its definitely a night cap. This one is serious. To quote; "A very dark beer brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley." No kiddin.' I get oak, vanilla, charcoal, raisin, dark chocolate, bourbon, licorice. Or something like that. Its pretty crazy.

The beer itself pours a absolute, deep space, dark as the devil, black. Held it right up to my lamp. Nothing, no hints, no hues, black. The one inch head is dark tan, which sticks around for a few minutes before settling to a ring and film, and leaves some lacing in arches, and when stirred, comes down in sheets of tan.

But, the taste? Not nearly as aggressive as I'd imagined. Almost vinous at the start, even... port-like. Cherry, figs, molasses at first. Then the bitterness digs in, the thick roasted malt floods, licorice is intense. The bourbon comes back too, the vanilla, oak, and charcoal. And the alcohol is definitely there, but not oppressive, quite the feat for what it is.

The mouth is obviously thick, syrupy, chewy, and any carbonation left seemed to evaporate. It coats the mouth, its heavy, its impressive. And it is warm, but the near 20% was largely left to be felt only afterward.

So, to sum up (and retire to a more comfortable chair to finish my newfound nemesis), big. Don't underestimate this, don't jump into it, don't rush it. It needs to be served at the right temperature, in the right frame of mind, and then, enjoy. Its completely worth it. ... and now, to oblivion....

objectivemonkey, Aug 04, 2008