World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
4.97/5  rDev +18.3%

so my brother kept this in a mini cooler on his road trip 3400 miles in 5 days across the U.S. he kept it cold the entire time and the mini cooler was fully stocked with other beers soon to be reviewed. It stayed cool and arrived the same. We let it settle for 3 days, this was the 2005 edition

absolute opaque, and I mean nothing, I held a high powered bike light to it, and you could barely, just barely see some light. midnight black, or perfect black, but just the essence of darkness with no undertones, and a mocha colored solid head.

aroma leaped out from the glass at arms length. molasses, sweet malt and woodiness from a distance. on the nose it was amazingly huge and complex, I even got goosebumps, seriously. monsterous aroma of oak, bittersweet and milk chocolate, molasses, nutmeg and cinnamon, dry and roasted malt, caramel, a dash of alcohol, but stunning profile, really

the massive aroma leads nothing to be desired. still massive malt body with molasses and earthy licorice upfront, with bittersweet chocolate, caramel, slight woodiness like oak but not dry; almost bourbon barrel-esque, dry and roasted malts with a slight hazel or almond nuttiness, a faint spice note of nutmeg or something close to it (savory yet sweet? if that makes sense) a dash of raisins and figs closer to the finish, and milk chocolate and a still faint tinge of alcohol which is amazing, but the finish is really quite endless.

a worldwide plethora of flavors and sensations. massive malt body and flavors with layers galore that are a delight to pick through. amazingly intertwined and only slightly viscous but not at all sugary, and a sublime warming effect very similar to whiskey (perhaps the high abv?) but it just adds to the amazing effect of the beer

amazing, amazing stuff, really. this was the first true beer I have aged and wow, was it worth the wait. I had imagined something of this magnitude when I put it away, but the reality blew my mind. props to dogfish head for making this, and I am privileged to have reaped the benefits of a road trip and enjoy it with my brother, who thought it was just as amazing, and he doesn't like stouts. we thought it was almost like port, except far better, and lamented that we didn't have any cigars, for it would have been a match in heaven, although the beer really doesn't need anything else to complement it. If you ever see one, I strongly, strongly urge you to buy many, and age them as long as possible. I plan on buying at least 10 the next chance I get. every bottle is worth every cent and then some. stunning beer that might chance a life or two

AGE THIS BEER TO REALLY TASTE IT!!! DO NOT DRINK YOUNG!!!

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottled 11/14/08, the two closest, decent places to get beer around here seem to be whole foods and liquor barn...both don't seem to have a quick turn around, but in cases with beers like this one, it's not necessarily a bad thing.

A: pours dark brown, pretty much black, with a red/brown hue and tiny light brown head

S: delicious rum cake, dark chocolate, dark roasted coffee beans (different than brewed coffee), then a surprising amount of fruit, raisins, dates, cherries, molasses, and quite a bit of alcohol

T: the fruity character is even more prevalent...this is one of the fruitiest imperial stouts I've had...the chocolate and coffee come more in the background but still present, also some woody, bourbon character, it almost drinks more like bourbon because of the alcohol....this reminds me of a tawny port I had recently

M: smooth and silky, not much carbonation, the finish lingers with a lot of alcohol warmth

D: I found this to be harder to drink than the 120 minute IPA which I believe has more alcohol...probably because this beer is more rich and full...I found this to drink more like bourbon than a typical beer, I'd like to try it fresh to see if the hops might add to the drinkability

3.3/5  rDev -21.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Deep dark brown, little to no head.

S: Bitter cocoa, dark dried fruit (prune, raisin, fig), burbony booze. Slight paint like smell.

T: Very similar to the smell... bitter cocoa, burbony booze, dark dried fruits. The booze just gets in the way of everything, and as it warms it begins to dominate, which is not good for a sipper of a beer.

M: Medium to full bodied. Not sticky or oily like expected.

D: Like the DFH 120, its worth a shot to say you had it, but outside of the booze bomb flavor, theres nothing too complex.

3.82/5  rDev -9%

12oz brought over by inflatablechair last weekend... Thanks Sam!! I've had this brew a bunch of times over the years, but it was always at big tastings where I didn't feel like taking notes... This is probably the "freshest" one I ever had... bottled on 11/14/08.... poured into my small La Trappe glass.

dark head that was very short lived.. the brew is the expected black.

Nose is sugary chocolate with some solventy alcohol notes.. more raisin than I would expect in a RIS... and some unexpected molasses...

Flavors are figgy qualities followed by some ripe plums.. then hammered by milk chocolate.. bunches of chocolate... there is a ton of EtOh on the finish... but what do you expect?

As far as the body goes, I remember it being a little bit thicker, but it was seriously pretty loose... I'm glad I had someone to share it with.... 12 oz would be way too much... Thanks again Sam for the good beer and conversation.

4.32/5  rDev +2.9%

bottled on 11/18/08

pours deep dark dark brown with a 1/4 tan head that fades fast and left no real lacing

smell boozy- but behind that i pick up sweet figs - chocolate - coffee

taste - wow - sweet figs along side big roasted malts cofee and choclate - and who could forget the booze - which works well

mouthfeel - is good - not too syrupy - but still slick and more carbonation i would have thought which gives it a crisp finish??

drinkability is good - i shared about 1/3 of the bottle and i still have not finished this beer in 1hr. - but this beer is a sipper

4.72/5  rDev +12.4%

Pours out black with a very thin chocolate tinted head.

Smells sweet and syrupy. Aromas of chocolate, coffee, rasin, and rum.

Tastes like gods vagina. The flavors are rich and beautiful. One would expect a beer with 14% ABV to be thick and syrupy, but alas , this one is not. It's a little bitter, but finishes so smooth.

If you're only looking to drink one great beer, this is the one. Its great on a cold night just by itself, or with a juicy burger.

One of my friends refers to it as his "catch-up" beer. The beer that gets his as drunk as everyone at a party when they've already started drinking.

3.68/5  rDev -12.4%

poured out black, darker than thick bitter coffee, with almost no head. some retention on the glass though.

smells of booze, raisins, dark rum, and some chocolate sweetness.

taste is like a chocolate assortment box, the kind with booze hidden in the middle. tons of sweetness, rum, chocolate, coffee, alcohol, and more alcohol.

not horrible mouthfeel. i thought it would be a bit thicker. goes down smooth, relatively.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Appearance: Black with no light peaking through. Thin head which quickly dissipated. Moderate lacing

Smell: Coffee, roasted malt, chocolate and a little alcohol. Half way through the bottle I am picking up grape and other dark fruits in the nose.

Taste: Initially tastes include sweet maple, roasted malt and brown sugar followed by dark fruits and grape. The grape becomes more prominent the more I drink. It's quite pleasant.

Mouthfell: Medium carbonation. Great for a imperial stout.

Drinkablity: Easier to drink than more imperial stouts. The grape flavor really makes me want to drink more and more.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

So I needed to sober up a bit before writing this one, with an 18% abv, WWS doesn't go unnoticed in terms of booze-iness.

This is by far the darkest beer i think i've ever had, even when held up to the light, nothing gets trhough this bad boy. There's a minimal head, and i've poured about three of these in the past two weeks and anyway you do it there's a thin, hazel colored head. Pours as thick as motor oil-tastes a lot better.

Smells like chocolate, booze, and more chocolate and booze. Nothing overwhelming though, surprising for a beer of this ABV, the alcohol's definately there but it doesn't seem anything but apealing.

The taste is really great, deep and to the point, alcohol infused with as much barley as you could afford to put into a 12oz bottle, and a rich supply of burnt grains and malts. It goes down considerably smooth for a beer as such, and it's not too soon before you realize you might want to slow down.

Really a great experiment gone terribly right, a classic that tastes like a 10 dollar beer, which is good-because it is.

4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Extraordinary extreme stout. Quite a memorable and unique experiment.

Presentation: 12 oz bottle. Iconic and standard Dogfish Head Design.... A bit unassuming other than for the front phrase, which feels short of hinting at what the bottle actually holds. Green warning bottle cap points to those in the know that this is one of the extreme experimental brews from Dogfish. Printed bottling date on side (11/14/08 A), neither shows IBUs or °Plato, nor Alc. (which at about 18.0% is something that probably should be noted) Poured into a medium size snifter.

A - Very dark brown/black color with hints of a reddish transparency towards the edges. Minimal head, that is quickly gone and not retained. Under such heavy alcohol it is not much of a surprise how this works... No lacing.

S - Strong port like salute, with raisins and vanilla tied to alcohol. Some distant chocolate. At one point the alcohol takes over and does not retreat. The rest is still there but alcohol is certainly predominant.

T - Flavor pivots around the alcohol but without crushing the backbone of big roasted malts and the subtleties of caramel, and raisins.

M - Minimal carbonation within a very heavy body that actually does not feel that heavy as it goes through, with a warm lingering alcohol feel.

D - Actually too drinkable, at least when you limit yourself to one bottle. It is somewhat complex but after a subtler start predominates a straight forward feeling. Great as a bottle to share or have on your own at the end of a meal/drinking occasion.

Notes: There are instants when it feels as if you are at a revealing crossroads of stout and barley wine. Maybe the alcohol does a bit of that, and at points might even overwhelm what otherwise feels like a nicely balanced experiment. Not the first time I've tried it. It's a bit too pricey but knowing what it is it might be justified. I'd like to revisit it again some time in the future. Although it is another beast, at some point I might prefer their 120 IPA when it comes to beers on this league. I feel the hops there retain some of the character of the beer better than the barley here, which may surrender to the alcohol too soon.

4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep golden brown color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of dark chocolate, dark fruits, roasted malts and a faint touch of hops.

T: The taste starts with rich roasted malts up front, followed by background flavors of dark chocolate and dark fruits. Between the age, the high alcohol and heavy maltiness, whatever hops had been there have faded significantly. The alcohol stings at times but not as strongly as I had expected from a beer at 18.00% ABV. The after-taste is slightly sweet.

M: Crisp and very smooth, heavy body, light carbonation, finish is sticky.

D: Tasty, goes down dangerously easily, slightly filling, obviously there's a very strong kick, very good representation of style and specifically the bigger end of the of the big stout spectrum, this definitely a good strong sipper beer but you still have to be careful with it.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

'06 World Wide Stout-found a few in a small package store down the street from me. Got lucky.

Appearance-Black,almost opaque with deep ruby highlights peeking through when held up to the light. Small but tight dense cream colored head. Very pretty beer.
Aroma-Strong coffee roast with a bit of chocolate and alcohol that follows. Slight hints of licorice are also present. No hop aroma.
Flavor-Big sweet malt flavor with a freshly grounded roast coffee up front. Dark fruits throughout with mostly dark cherry chocolate notes predominate. Some raison and vanilla later on as you breath out. Very rich and complex malt character. Strong alcohol but not hot. Balances well with the beer. Malty sweet finish with little hop bitterness.
Mouthfeel-Chewy malt texture. Dark, fruity malt coats the mouth with a warm alcohol presence and a mild roasted bitterness in the finish. Low carbonation.
Excellent brew.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

Pours a jet black

Smells wonderful. Like burnt raisins. Dry smoky, ash-like roastiness.

Full bodied thick mouthfeel.

Starts like a nice impy stout but the alcohol really gets on the way! An impy stout is s'posed to be warming, but this is pure burn! Way too much on the alcohol side.

Commendable as far as producing an 18% alcohol beer but tough to drink!

2.5/5  rDev -40.5%

Pours pitch black with about a finger of head when poured straight into my 25 oz. snifter. Smell is "holy shit what is that"...potent wood and dark fruit, and unfortunately also potent rubbing alcohol/paint fumes/sharpie marker. Now, I'm no critic of high alcohol beers. I like them a lot and I can take some alcohol burn, but this is just over the top. Its a little less than a year old and smells like it needs another decade under it.

Thankfully, the taste isn't quite that hot. That's good, because I would like to keep the enamel on my teeth. Still though, I can't say I dig the flavor profile too much. Wood, alcohol, and a little bit of over-ripe dark fruit. Not really the level of complexity that I enjoy with a huge stout. The mouthfeel is on the heavy side of medium bodied, and it glides down your throat as smooth as hell. This one is a big time sipper...which isn't a bad thing except when it becomes a chore to even sip it, which is what this one does after about 4 oz.

Overall this is just not a world class stout IMO, I can see where the appeal comes from but I can also see where the hatred comes from. I won't be buying another one, unless I get ambitious and decide to cellar it for 5 years and see how it turns out.

4.17/5  rDev -0.7%

Did this GO BAD?? - My wife

Classic line. Some people tell stories in their reviews. I usually do not. However, I do need to relay this one t you. We were taking my son to camp today and on the radio they started talking about a Brewdog 18% ABV beer... My wife went nuts and commented that she had never heard of such a thing. I just chuckled knowing I had a couple World Wide Stouts at home.. (and a 120 Minute..) My wife loves big stouts.... By the way.

Later I told her that we would share a stout tonight and she agreed... Little did she know what she was going to sample. I brought out the bottle and poured her a small sample. Yep she proclaimed... "Did this go bad??" After cracking up I explained the situation to her. She did drink that glass and took a bit more.

As for me, I enjoyed this even more than I had hoped. And I had high hopes.

Very little head forms atop this deep brown to black beer. A spot or two of lace..

Aroma is sweet and of liquor. And I say liquor to mean stronger than an alcohol note. Wow. There is a depth to the sweet aroma that is intoxicating. It also signals what's to follow quite correctly.

Wow, is this sweet and complex. I don't like "hot" beers and while this has a lot of alcohol I don't find it "hot" More boozy and a sense of being a liqueur. I get some maple, vanilla, chocolate covered cherries. As it warms to room temp I get some coffee in the after taste and also some charcoal.

Syrup thick and some graininess as well.

A slow sipper and more of an after dinner drink vs. a beer. An experience for sure.

4.36/5  rDev +3.8%

Another Dogfish Head novelty. This is a great beer that everyone should try at least once. I love it and hate it at the same time.

There really isn't much bouquet for a beer this thick and dark. i was surprised.

Flavor was very complex and staged. went from a sweet fig to raisin, to chocolate, to smoke and coffee. and finished with a burnt cherry. Very impressive. Really has too much sweetness to it for me. I prefer a stout, but this won't be a regular. It's too much in it's own catagory here with this much ABV and sweetness. but a good buy if you never tried it.

Dogfish is definitely trying do something different and i like that about them!

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Had two nights in a row at Sunset Grill & Tap in Boston. Simply the finest beer I've ever had. Served one night in a pint glass, the other night in a tulip glass.

A: Dark. Very Dark. Very little head, brownish with good lacing.

S: Chocolates, hops, citrus, and alcohol oh my! It tastes even better than it smells.

T: Thus far, the best beer that I've ever drank. A perfectly balanced chocolate-y taste that goes down easy and hides the fact that you're drinking an 18% alcohol by volume beer. The only hints of booze is at the end of a swallow that gives a slight zing to the warm flavor of the beer, and the fact that you'll feel yourself getting surprisingly tipsy if you drink this too quickly.

M: Warm, comforting, and leaves a slight twang of alcohol in the mouth.

D: It goes down smooth, but if you tried to session this you'd either pickle your liver or pass out around the 4th bottle.

O: At risk of repeating myself, the best beer I've ever had. Stands as a testament to the skill of the brewers of Dogfish Head, and heartily suggested to all and sundry who want an excellent experience.

4.37/5  rDev +4%

I think that this is one of the best stouts made. It has 10-12 percent beer qualities in an 18 percent beer. I don't know how they do it. Great taste, great look, mouthfeel. color. Not too hot in alcohol, not too malty. This is one of the best imperial stouts, american or russian, ever made.
---

I had this again today and have to say it was a little high in alcohol flavor and a little sweet on the tongue. Although i still like this beer, I'm going to downgrade some of my numbers.

2.84/5  rDev -32.4%

Appearance: Pitch black with a dark tan head. The head is rather small, however retention is good and good lacing.

Aroma: I immediately picked up on phenol, almost as though someone poured in a splash of whisky. There is a lingering chocolate aroma. You can smell the sweetness.

Taste: Lots of cherries, vanilla and dark chocolate. Reminds me of a bon bon. Finishes rather dry with the alcohol coming through.

Mouthfeel: Nicely carbonated. Surprised that it didn't leave a heavy feeling, perhaps due to the dryness. The alcohol does leave your tongue feeling dried out afterwards.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

12oz bottle that I've been sitting on for a couple months. Bottle dated 11/14/08, so this one had 9 months age on it to begin with - so its almost a year old now. Finally decided to crack it open this evening. Poured into my SA Perfect Pint glass.

A: Not as dark of a pour as I initially expected - much more of a translucent burgundy brown with ruby highlights near the bottom of the glass while the upper half of the glass looks much murkier. Pour produces a small, sandy colored head, but it never rises above a couple centimeters in depth and quickly fades to a tiny sandy ring and swath of bubbles on the surface of the stout. Sandy-beige colored lacing coats the glass then slides back down into the body.

S: I cracked the bottle and took a good whiff, and while the bottle was still a little bit colder than the recommended serving temp., I couldn't help but get a massive dose of barley and booziness. Huge alcohol note even with the bottle quite chilled! Smell reminds me of brandy - fruity esters, a bit of sting to the nostril, slightly medicinal... but then again it is 18% ABV so of course it is! This beer even smells like a sipper. There are plenty of other notes that peak through the nose: caramel, brown sugar, fresh-baked bread, cocoa, cold coffee, dark fruits including cherries and raisins. As the glass warms, the booziness becomes even more prominent as some wine-like notes also start to appear. The nose seems to have a fair bit going on beneath the surface, but the booze seems to dominate for much of the ride.

T: Definitely a sip-sip-sip stout. After 20 minutes I would conservatively estimate that I've consumed 2 ounces of a 12 oz bottle. This one will take a while, but that is the beauty of the beast from what I've been told about WWS. My palate detects alot of booziness up front - fruity, wine-like esters, dark cherries, rum raisins, brandy soaked fruits. Its got a lot of kick on the front end of the palate. There is also some caramel and brown sugary sweetness in that mix as well. Once I swallow each sip, the malts kick in to high gear - all kinds of barley producing a dominating, nutty and bready flavor, slightly salty to balance the dark fruits and sweet brandy booziness from the start. I also get a leathery, tobacco-like note in there - dry, slightly smoky and a very interesting twist to the malt overload that I'm experiencing. Roasted notes also kick in well into the finish with a short dose of coffee beans, buttered toast and even some salty, soy sauce like flavors. As the glass warms, the barley notes begin to exert more influence mid sip to temper the booziness with a salty, buttery flavor. Finish lengthens as bready flavors linger on the tongue. Really, each sip seems to deliver a new flavor or a different intensity of the existing flavors and that make each sip much more interesting and enjoyable.

At this point, the beer has been open for an hour and I've only finished half of it. Wow. Still boozy in the nose, and still boozy up front in the nose; still boozy in the taste, especially as you hold each sip in your mouth and swish it around to coat the palate, but the sting is starting to recede in intensity, probably because it has already gripped me and given me a slight buzz. Still intriguing with the blast of malts, buttery bread, sweet caramel, roasted flavors and that smoky note that becomes more prominent.

M: Slick, silky smooth; not anywhere near as thick as other stouts, but it does have that creamy/oily texture on the way down. Carbonation is low which induces the appropriate mouthfeel.

D: SIPPER. Period. One that must be savored and enjoyed over an extended period or else one of two things will happen: 1) you will miss out on its complexities or 2) you will very quickly wind up at the point of diminishing returns. And at 18% ABV, you'll definitely feel it! I have to deduct points from the overall score for drinkability - this isn't a beer you can just knock back. And yet even when you drink slowly, so that you can experience all of its nuances, this beer remains a daunting task to finish thanks to its overwhelming boozy character.

I will say I am glad to have the opportunity to try WWS, even if only a rare, one-time experience because of its intensity, scarcity and price point ($10-plus for a 12oz bottle). Definitely an extreme beer.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

Another beer I found at Beer Bistro in Toronto. It's ABV makes it unavailable in Ohio. Review from notes taken May 31, 2009.

Served at cellar temp and oozed out into an oversized tulip. A black gooey oil.

Bottled in 2007.

N. Chocolat booze. Overripe plum.

T  Sweet black currant. Hot. Almost spiced. Sharp finish. Prunes. Apricots. Wet tobacco. Very complex and protean in its ability to change its flavor profile as it futher warmed.

M. Viscous and velvety. Not creamy but still adequately carbonated

D. Already a few years old but frankly a little too hot to be called "drinkable". I found the booziness enjoyable And well blended if though not hidden but there can be no doubt that it also makes it the epitome of a sipper.

4.05/5  rDev -3.6%

Bottle thanks to HogtownHarry- Deep opaque black, pours a frothy, but short lived mocha cap, that leaves some lace. Huge nose of dark chocolate, lots of fruit, including plum, currant, and concord grape, espresso, some roasted malts. Tastes of sweet dark chocolate, plum, black coffee, quite grapey, with roasty malts and just a bit of bittering hops. Quite well rounded and drinkable considering the strength. A great effort! Thanks for the bottle Harry!

4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Aggressively poured into a pint glass with hardly any head or lacing. I'm going to have to add this to a long line of beers that continue to surprise me.

This stuff is black. Held up to a light. 16 inches away. And it's still black.

Strong booze smells along with toasty malts and prunes. Taste is similar, kind of hinting at grape soda, which isn't a bad thing since grape soda sure as hell doesn't taste like grapes. Also on the subject of soda, a hit of Dr. Pepper, but that could just be Dr. Pepper's prune-flavored origins. (For those that don't know, the legend goes that the Doc was initially marketed as prune soda. Apparently that didn't go over too well in advertising.)

Very smokey with a relatively smooth mouthfeel despite 18% ABV booze explosion.

Halfway through and feeling VERY tipsy! Definitely a beer to share, but if you feel like spending an hour or so drinking one single solitary lonesome beer, this one's for you.

Overall one of the best beers I've had in a LONG time, and that's not the alcohol talking.

4.15/5  rDev -1.2%

Bottled 11/14/08

A: Pours more cola colored than black. Decent head with a bit of decent retention.

S: Cocoa, Rich bitter chocolate, and some baltic porter essence going on.

T: A lot like the taste. Bitter chocolate up front with some Cocoa. A bit hot from the alcohol.

M: Full bodied with fair carbonation.

D: As good as an 18% stout could be. Enjoyable and I could definitely do a whole bottle by myself. Not necessarily for the faint of heart!

4.23/5  rDev +0.7%

A friend bought this beer for me on a recent trip to Milton. I opened it after a nice double bock to finish the evening.

The appearance was a bit uninspiring. The head was thin and left after a short while--it was identical to good crema on an espresso.

The nose was spectacular. Sweet tar, coffee, chocolate, sappy wood all leap from the glass. Molasses and brown sugar are buried within the beautiful, rich nose.

Overwhelming loads of flavors battling for attention. The initial bitterness subsides on the second and third visits. After the shock subsides, the barley wine shows off the middle and carries flavors of port, stewed cherries and dabs of anise. A creamy finish, again reminiscent of the last sip of lukewarm espresso.

Not my typical beer but packed with flavors that are sure to invigorate something in all of us who enjoy well made beer. This would be the highlight of a beer flight or sipped with friends over an hour in a cooler, winter setting. Kipis.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery