1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

On tap at the Falls Church brewpub.

A: Midnight black oil with a decent tannish head.

S: Simply a lot going on here. Some vanilla and lots of roasted malt. Some dark fruits and maybe a hint of chocolate.

T: Good amount of alcohol to go with the very dark malt and wood flavors. Some port and accompanied by a tad bit of vanilla.

M: Not much carbonation and extremely thick. While this one is fairly heavy, can't believe that it's nearly as high in alcohol as it is.

D: Pretty good considering the abv and all that's going on, but an 8oz. snifter is enough for me.

3.75/5  rDev -10.7%

Bottled on 11/14/08

Aroma: Alcohol, grains, roasted malt, and a sweet syrupy quality.

Appearance: Fizzy thin tan head that quickly dissipates. Dark red color that poured with a surprisingly thin body.

Taste: Alcohol that faded to a roasted maltiness. Alcohol dominates this beer with some extremely unique woody burnt flavors. Disappointing as a stout but not so much as a unique beer experience.

Mouthfeel: I felt it was surprisingly thin for a stout.

Drinkability: To each his own on this one. It's a 18% beer how drinkable is that? Truthfully I've had a harder time getting down 9% beers than this.

4.58/5  rDev +9%

Bottle 2008 Pours a deep dark brown with a diminishing tan head. Laces pretty well. Has a wonderful aroma of spicies, alcohol, swwet malts and fruits. Has a good blending with a subtle alcohol burn. The high ABV is well hidden. Has good flavor on the tongue. Good carbination and a real good mouthfeel. Has a good solid finish. A medium body. I waited a while to have one of these and it is awesome

3.03/5  rDev -27.9%

From notes 2-22-09

Done horizontally with Dogfish Head World Wide Stout, Southern Tier Choklat, Redhook Double Black, Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast, Avery Mephistopheles, and New Holland Night Tripper.

Eye: Color is black with some real deep and dark red highlights that barely come alive when light is behind this one. It starts with a nice head, but it then falls to about 1/2 a finger. Head is creamy in appearance and tan in color.

Nose: The first impression I get from this brew's aroma is quite unexpected. Intense fruitiness....cantaloupe. Alcohol is present. Was expecting some chocolate and roasted tones but that is not here. The cantaloupe aroma is dominant.

Tongue: This beer is very similar to 120 minute. Its got that same shock for the first few sips that 120 has. Alcohol is extremely upfront. That cantaloupe flavor is dominant. This is the biggest disappointment of all of these beers. I'm not saying that its not good, but I'll not go anywhere near saying that this is a stout. It is much too light and doesn't have any kind of stout characteristic that I want when I want a stout. I'll say that it has a miniscule amount of chocolate and some roasted character, but this beer to me is more of a hook, like a marketing ploy than anything else. Just not enough to make it a stout. Perhaps just a very strong black ale?

edit: of the six beers here the most difficult to drink were the World Wide Stout, Avery Mephistopheles, and New Holland Night Tripper. After coming back to the beers once done with the tasting, these three had alcohol in the foreground, the most prevalant....making them sippers.

Feel and Drinkability: I'll have to say that this beer feels light in body and is low in carbonation. This is one that I'd definitely not recommend if you want an awesome stout, this is something that is worth a try but I'd not look for any great stout here. An interesting beer, yet I paid $8.99 for it. I can't see that...I can see paying $9.39 for the Avery because that beer meets expectations and is real awesome, this though is not what the label leads you to believe. Compared to Mephistopheles this is way overpriced. Sure you're paying for the abv, but who cares? I don't care what the abv is, I want something that tastes great, and this doesn't fulfill.

3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

A- Pitch black with a half inch head that fades very quickly and leaves no lacing.

S- Deep roasted (almost burnt) malts. A nice smokiness and a hint of chocolate mixed with roasted coffee beans. A sweetish alcohol aroma is ever present.

T- Very sweet. That's it. Not as complex as the aroma would lead you to believe.

M- Full bodied with slight carbonation.

D/O- A decent beer that's worth a try if you haven't had it before. One is definitely a enough for one sitting/day. Cheers!

What can I say but exceptional all around. Now I understand why dfh gets 9.00 for a 12 ouncer. Served in a Guinness pint glass because I couldn't find my beer stein. Smooth pour so no head.

A- OMG it's black like motor oil. The only apparent light that escapes this is a faint tinge of reddish brown around the outside of the glass. Almost no lacing.

S- I really needed a better glass for this one. Since the glass is WIDE open not much of the scent is trapped at the top. Black licorice and some spice that I can't quite put my finger on.

T- Sweet upfront but the alcohol hits at the back. More black licorice, some figs, currants. Kind of nutty but the taste is so fused with everything else that it's hard to tell.

M- Silky smooth, thick and clingy stays with you a while.

D- Well I could drink one or two of these in a sitting because I love all things stout but this will obliterate your palate for a while.

It's a distinctive flavor that every stout lover should taste at least once. I think I'll get another and cellar it for a while. At 18% abv this one should mature quite nicely.

4.83/5  rDev +15%

Vintage 2006 bottle.

A - Pitch black with almost no head

S - Like a nice liqueur

T - Impossible to describe. Just simply has to be experienced. Like a roasted/sweet sipping liqueur. There are hints of liquorish, but very mild, along with other flavors.

M - Low carbonation and very full in body

D - Very drinkable considering the staggering 18% abv. Excellent beer that needs to be experienced by everyone.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a viscous like black with an inch or so frothy tan head, which takes its time subsiding into the big dark body. The traces of lacing are not significant, but very thick and there is also a constant, thin head that lasts throughout the beer.

Smells. . . . intimidating. OK, seriously, holy cow, big time coffee aroma, barley, perhaps a hint of something woody, and a big sweet alcohol aroma.

This beer kicks you in the mouth, but oddly. . . you want to be kicked again. Big sweet, dark fruit flavors, like dates mixed with the sweetness of dark chestnuts. Again a big roasted coffee aroma, becoming more noticeable as it warms, and as the bottle promises, generous barley.

This brew is thick & chewy, with a mean, yet sweet alcohol burn on the back of the throat, and after all of this, I'm not sure where the carbonation even falls. This is really an awesome beer in terms of having a diverse palate that challenges the senses, and is truly unique.

Drinkability is certainly questionable. It's an absolutely great beer in a weird sort of palate masochism kind of way, but I'm certainly not drinking more than one (in one sitting). If basing scores on creativity and enjoyment, this would be an A+, but regardless, this is a must try, a few times.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

A: Pours a dark brown that looks black in my pint glass. Light does not penetrate the body of this one. The head is a tan color and faded quickly regardless of my vigorous pouring.

S: This one defies my notion of stouts. I normally don't pick up any fruity tones in stouts but I can pick out the raisin aromas. The alcohol is the next thing that I notice. It is clearly evident. Vanilla tones finally give away to the typical stout aromas of chocolate and a hint of coffee.

T: The first sip took my breath away. This is a very complex stout. It is strong - really strong - but not overwhelming. The alcohol is evident in the taste but not to the point that I believe it to be an 18%. A lot of the smells come out in the taste that takes my mouth on a roller coaster ride. Powerful malt blend, fruity sweetness (but not too much).

M: Very well constructed beer. I think that if something were a little off at this level of intensity it would be easy for this to go horribly wrong. But, as this is well built, as strong as this is, they pull it off well. The overall sensation is a little syrupy for my feel but with everything that is going on I don't mind.

D: This is strong! I am enjoying the experience. I am glad that Dogfish Head is willing to push certain comfort zones to produce a butt kicking stout. Would I drink this on a regular basis: no. Only one per session: yes. Would I recommend this: yes! I think everyone should expand his or her beer knowledge with complex brews.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottled on 18/(Month smudged)/06. Into a snifter, as the brewery suggests. Pours a very dark brown color, almost pitch black with almost no light coming through the edges. Small tan head pops up on the pour but is gone in a flash, no lacing. Aroma is a very nice mix of chocolate (which is the most prevalent of aromas) mixed with some deep roasty charred barley, a hint of smokiness, and possibly a bit of wood. Taste is very complex to say the least. Chocolate is in the forefront, raisins, dark fruits, maybe plums, lots of roasted malt goodness, warming alcohol, and just the slightest hint of coffee on the finish. Mouthfeel is thick and creamy, almost chewy, big and in-your-face, with a nice warming alcohol in the throat and belly. This is one hell of a stout, packed with flavor and loads of booze. If I didn't know, I would never guess this was 18% ABV. Feels more like 10-12% range to me. After getting through about half the glass, I'm already feeling a bit lightheaded. Need to slow this one down or I'll be in for a big headache tomorrow. Great stuff though, and another great extreme beer from DFH.

I'm beginning to believe that this bottle has done well with age. I read many reviews after I made my own, and it seems like those who reviewed it fresh had a less than spectacular experience with it. This is definitely one of those brews that holds up to age with the best of them. I'm going to stop in at the place I got and buy a few more bottles to see where it goes from here. I can't imagine it getting much better, though, but I'm curious.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours almost completely black with tiny hints of deep brown at the edges when held up to direct room lighting. The head is dark brown, relatively small, and dissipates almost immediately. The initial smell is full of dark fruits, mostly raisins, figs, and prunes. The sharp bite of alcohol sits in the back, and it should considering it is 18% alcohol. The malts are all over the place, smooth roasted coffee notes mingle with a sharp cocoa note as well as a sweet caramel undertone. The "insane amount of barley" in the beer gives it an overall biscuity aroma, which is more than appreciated in a beer of this caliber. Some vanilla and oak notes creep through everything, lending an overall earthiness to the beer. The first sip is powerful without being overwhelming. The roasted coffee notes work with the heavy body of the beer to coat the tongue and throat, delaying the slight burn of the alcohol. The cocoa notes follow up with a nice sweetness, somewhere between bittersweet chocolate and soy sauce. Yeah, soy sauce, but in the good way. A slight earthiness creeps through at the end, rounding the sip out. The sweetness is reminiscent of maple syrup or something of the like. It's heavy and densely sweet, but never gets overpowering. After some warming, the alcohol content lets itself be known, burning a little longer and a little stronger. The intense malt flavors amplify, assaulting the tongue with conflicting notions of sweet, bitter, roasty, and earthy. The vanilla takes a nice backseat, sweetening things with the caramel malts without being too heavy. The body remains, creamy and heavy. The sweetness picks up a little bit, but is by no means unmanageable. Overall, this is a stout to be reckoned with. It's heavy in all the right places and full of enough malty goodness to be satisfyingly thick. Well worth the investment. (4.3 overall)

11/18/2009 bottle date.

Appearance: Dark black, full, no head. Still. Pours almost syrupy. Solid and quiet.

Smell: Guge roasted sweetness. Balsamic vinegar, oxidized sherry, soy sauce. Chocolate malts, cocoa sweetness, dark chocolate. Loads of roasted barley. So much alcohol. Booze and a rough sweetness. Aggressive. Dark fruit, dark cherry, plum and fit. Pushes port and syrup.

Taste: Crazy sweet. Sugar, syrup, deeply roasted and caramelized malts. SuperDrive cherries, port, touches of red wine and cocoa powder. Dark, milk, and nibs. So much chocolate. Oxidation is lovely and adds layers of sherry, aged balsamic vinegar, and soy sauce. So much malt. Barley is dominant. Chocolate port. As it warms the vinegar jumps out and the beer smooths out. Retains the deep sweet booziness.

Mouthfeel: Borderline syrupy. Full body. Smooth and slightly creamy. No carbonation. Lingering dryness from the alcohol.

Overall: Age helps this beer. Trying it 800 beers later doesn't.

I had this shortly after I turned 21 (see the first review). It was intense then, but I loved it. Now that I have a bit more perspective, it's still intense, but needs a bit more time. 4 years seems ideal. A bit messy in the long run.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Wow! This brew is always a phenomenal offering from Dogfish's catalogue, and this year is no different. Very heavy on the molasses, dark fruits, and quite a bit of chocolate, with just a subtle hint of coffee. I will have to disagree about the ABV though. i think the 18% pops out quite a bit, and the alcohol really hits you on the finish. I think this beer could use about a year of cellaring or so before it's peak. Very nice!

3.08/5  rDev -26.7%

After much waiting for this beer, I finally got it at 15% off of 10 bucks.

Dark brown pour, just shy of being black. Very small head. WTF? Hmm. Not good to start out. Quick swirls through out, even vigorous ones, did not produce head. No lacing

Coffee and slightly burnt chocolate persist in the nose. Dark soft fruit as well.

Taste is more on the chocolate side, with coffee mixed in. I dunno, for the style this seems weak. Slightly bitter, a bit clingy, nothing bad, I must say. Yet, nothing really good. and for regularly 10 dollars, I will not buy this again. Overhyped in my opinion.

4.3/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A 2004 vintage picked up at Teresa's in Wayne by some ridiculous stroke of luck. Cracking this one open for the Villanova/UNC basketball game, with some good company.

A: Pours straight up BLACK into my glass, with very little head. With the age and ABV on this, I didn't expect anything more though. There is just a bit of lacing, that comes and goes, but damn, do I wanna get into drinking this!

S: Smell is largely of dark fruits. Plums, dates, and raisins. No alcohol is perceptible. I can also make out some smokey and coffe-like malts in there.

T: Wow. The taste is malty, fruity, and who knows what else. The flavor is coffee and dark chocolate malts up front, followed nicely by the fruits, malts, and some warming alcohol, but I woulda never guessed 18% by the taste. Time has definitely conditioned this beer well!

M/D: Perfectly textured and the character is phenomenal, but the beer as a result is just a bit too heavy to have more than 1...or even just half of one. Still, an absolutely amazing stout, and I am SO happy I have another one of these in the cellar waiting for the next special occasion!

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

a- purs jet black with a slight fizz that leaves quickly with just a spot or two or head

s- roasted malt and caramel not much of a nose

t- alcohol hits hard up front and stays with you...roasted barley with smokey caramel leave a nice sweetness to this beer

m- creamy with a lingering alcohol that can cause a tingle if you sip it to quickly

d- high abv limits the drinkability of this beers drinking but taste wise id sip all night

a great after dinner beer or with a strong meat dish like a steak
a very nice unique stout

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Appearance: Pours an inky black, 1/4" of tan foam that subsides almost immediately to a very thin lacing - not surprised though considering the ABV.

Aroma: Intensely sweet. Brown sugar? I also noticed a very subtle cinnamon character. Very boozy + dark fruits.

Taste: Dark chocolate bitterness. Very roasty. Quite sweet much like the aroma. Very strong.

Mouthfeel: Very creamy - little carbonation. Nice warming quality. It felt syrupy as well.

I had high expectations for this beer because of the quality of previous DFH brews of high strength that I thoroughly enjoyed like the 120 Minute, Palo Santo Marron, etc. This one wasn't as good. Much too sweet for me. I could see it being much better with age though.

3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

Poured into a goblet-style Corsendonk glass.

Pours thick and smooth, slight, dark brown head and weak lacing.
Color is black with dark ruby undertones when held up to a lightbulb.
Smell is quite complex; my first words were "black olives and shoe polish," but after a few whiffs this mellowed to a sweet, almost gin-like booziness.
Taste is as complex as the smell-- dark, roasty coffee with burnt caramel graininess, and some prune/raisin dark fruit flavors in there as well-- it is so powerful and concentrated that it takes a couple of sips for the subtle cast of characters to pop out here and there, but pop they do indeed. It seems to get sweeter as I go.
Mouthfeel is great for a heavy stout; thick and sticky in a very satisfying way. The alcohol does add some nice heat.
I wouldn't call this a sessionable beer as it fairly punches you in the mouth with intensity. However, it is just plain delicious for all its complexity. I would heartily recommend it to stout fans.

The thought of enjoying this beer with a big slab of rare roast beef and dark gravy makes me grumble with manly delight.

3.8/5  rDev -9.5%

always excited to try something new from dogfish head. especially after nearly two hours of over time at work.

pours dark with not any head. a slight film at best. what it lacks in head it makes up for in the lacing. looks almost like im drinking a wine. dark as night. decent over all look. i would like some head but its understandable with abv as high as this not to have anything.

smell is a combination and an interesting one at that. rich roasted malts. dark fruits and a big booze backbone. smell is damn good. color me impressed.

taste is good. big malts. a big boozy presence. it has a sweetness that lingers long after its gone. this is good. i would love to lay one of these down and see what comes of it after a year or so. still drinking a little hot. might settle down.

im not sure if budget would allow me to drink this all the time but it is nice for a treat now and then.

3.95/5  rDev -6%

Pours a super deep black and is almost like thin syrup. No head and no lacing.

Smells of figs and sweet malt with a roasty background. Lots of alcohol burn in the nose as well. That's expected with an abv of 18%.

Taste is pretty sweet. A little too sweet for me. But it is an interesting sweet. Like sugar was added and not fermented. Not lactose but almost a splenda taste. Figs and sugar sweet dominate and I am very surprised there isn't more alcohol burn. There is some but I was expecting alot more.

Mouthfeel is pretty viscous. I feel like it needs some more carb to glance the sweetness and viscosity.

Overall a very interesting beer. Don't think I will drink another one but it was good to try something that pushes the limits. Don't think I can finish a whole 12oz of this.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into my oversized DFH snifter. Came out of the bottle quite syrupy, best characterized as a deep chocolate maple syrup. Nice brown film coats the top, with some of the best brown lacing I've ever seen. The lacing has a cascade look to it, different looks at different levels. The nose is noticeable from a few feet away, chocolate being the main note. Up close there is a big backbone of read, and some hints of fig.

The body is naturally quite full, with a slight viscosity to it. Flavors include sour dough, roasted coffee, and a sweet caramel. The alcohol is well masked. You know it's there, but it doesn't harm the flavor.

This one's really nice. I'm not a huge stout guy, but this delivers as a great sipper. It's a long drinker, but after, you're feeling dandy.

3.78/5  rDev -10%

Poured into pint

A- Dark as the center of my eye but after a hard pour it didn't have any head or lacing

S- Choked me up, witch hazel, coffee, the DFH truck full of barley, notes of whiskey and scotch

T- At first turpentine and barley concentrate. Then, as it warms more subtlety of licorice, and even though it's not aged in a barrel it kind of tastes like it (oak chips?)

M- Astringent, thick and hot

D- Slow sipper and maybe even a sharer

At first, I was ready to write a bad review but after it warms I was thinking Sam's a genius. That said, AGE THIS and 120 min.

3.53/5  rDev -16%

Hey, it took a while to locate a wws. Unfortunately there was a let down.

Drank at about 60 degrees. Just so much better drinking warmer.

the look- just fine with some light carbonation action with an aggressive pour.

smell- the booze was like a speed bump driving by the ocean. it was disruptive.

taste- boozy . I enjoed the 120 & fort so much more

mouthfeel-ok

drinkability- after 3 to 4 ounces the numbing effect...is when the booze party starts

Just not my thing. Didn't think the booze was hidden. Worth a try. Once

3.43/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured into a tulip.

3.0 A: Black as hell. Tan head with bad retention and a little lacing, which is to be expected with the 18% ABV. Still, it doesn't look great.

4.5 S: Really nice smell. Roasty, toastiness complements the alcohol tinge really well. Caramel, but not so much chocolate or coffee. This is a beautiful smell.

3.5 T: This would be pretty good if it wasn't so alcoholic in nature. The alcohol dominates the shit out of this, which is completely different than their 120. Roasted malt is big. Caramel next. Alcohol ruins this beer.

3.0 M: Full bodied. The alcohol eliminates a lot of the creaminess though.

2.5 D: This isn't very drinkable due to the strong alcohol. I'd rather have the alcohol hidden if it's going to kick my ass like this.

3.98/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2003 vintage release. Got this in a trade with travisd13. Awesome, awesome, trader! Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours out like motor oil. No light passes through the body of this beast. A 1/8-inch, tight, brown head creeps up for only a moment, and then descends to a splotchy film. The brown head can be reawakened when swirled, but only for a moment. All of the sugars produce some crusty, crystalline lacing.

Smell: This is one of those beers that invades the nostrils as some as the bottle cap seal is broken. Molasses, raisins, bourbon and oak, chocolate, cinnamon, toasted bread, and more sweetness and alcohol. Smells very sweet and rich.

Taste: I can't believe how well this alcohol is masked. Took tons and tons of malt and sugar to do it though. Molasses, chocolate syrup, plums, berries, coffee liqueur, and some fruity esters. Possibly some figs and/or maraschino cherries in there as well.

Mouthfeel: As expected, lots of warmth in this one. Gritty, sticky, syrupy, and lightly carbonated. Tons of mouth numbing and dryness. Heavy.

Drinkability: I expected this to be much harder to drink. Really, really, sweet and somewhat cloying, but I guess that's necessary to mask such a massive ABV. Didn't have much trouble finishing the bottle on my own, which is a testament to how well done this beer was. Really fun to try, but I won't seek it out again. This is a novelty beer.

4.45/5  rDev +6%

This "Very Dark Ale" was a great sipper, very complex & delicious, all 18oz of it. A nice, smooth dark coffee pour to near black with a 2 finger beige head that the bubbly carbonation soon lessened to a thin one indeed, & little clinging lace. The aroma was complex & full of competing scents: coffee & chocolate as expected, but also banana, clove, clementine, cherry & raisin.
The sipping brought a medium-=bodied but a bit harsh taste, with strong anise-port qualities, that subdued the aromas. A bit musty to the nose & definitely a nice slow sipping imperial porter to my palate...the 18% was indeed there to the sensation

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery