World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

Eternal gratitude to Beerpanther for the sample.

Pours thick and ink black with a bubbly tan head. It quickly recedes to a chunky ring that releases moderate amounts of lace on the glass. The aroma is a pungent mix of malts, prune, mollasses and hot alcohol. The taste is as intense as the nose. Loads of sweet malts and dark fruits bombard the senses. Theres also a dark chocolate and roasted barley character that provides balance to the monumental sweet maltiness. Port-like alcohol heat is noticeable throughout. The mouthfeel is very viscous and chewy. Theres healthy amounts of creamy carbonation. The finish is long and bittersweet, with alcohol spice.

This is a heady beer. It does a good job of hiding its colossal abv. Its sweet but not too sweet. Great for sipping and contemplating.

05-08-2006 01:29:26 | More by CAMRAhardliner
TheBungyo

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -33.2%

Poured a cola color. Far too light for a stout. Little head. Nose was somwhat sickly sweet, not what I want from a stout.
Taste is sweet with very muted tones of chocolate and brown sugar. Mouth was surprisingly thin.
Nope no way I'd session this at $8 a bottle and a high ABV. I can only hope it improves with age.

05-06-2006 05:38:37 | More by TheBungyo
orfeu

New Mexico

4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

"Packaged in ..." looks like somewhere between 2004-2005 -- the notch is right between the two numbers. Picked this up at Beers of the World in Rochester a few months ago -- $8.95 out the door, baby! Poured into an oversized wine goblet, World Wide Stout is an intense black, like spent motor oil with a fizzy caramelized sugar-colored foam cap that is rapidly reduced to a thin ring of bubbles around the glass. Nose is predominated by chocolate and alcohol vapors...booze content is pretty high in this one: as the aroma fades from my nostrils I feel a slight "chemical" burning/tickle, kind of like catching a whiff of ammonia or chlorine -- but with a strong roasted cocoa component. Begins vinous, with rum-soaked cherries and chocolate liquer flavors yielding to a roasted malt middle and a sweet cocoa finish. Then a fiery alcoholic warming lights up my entire upper digestive track. Jesus, I won't be finishing this one any time soon... Viscous mouthfeel; expansive, but not in a fluffy Belgian-ale sort of way. High alcohol content creates a lingering buzzing sensation on the tongue and gums (not to mention inside my head!). So, it's as drinkable as it can be, I guess. A great beer, but at $9 a pop and a 12 ouncer that'll get you wasted on its own, World Wide Stout is about a once-a-year thing for me.

05-06-2006 03:02:19 | More by orfeu
barleywinebrewer

New Hampshire

4.63/5  rDev +10.5%

I finally had a chance to try this. I've been looking at the bottle for some time!
A - Used motor oil black! very tiny hints of foam at the sides of the glass. Enough to let you know it's not flat.

S - thick roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffe

T - the same as it smells. thick roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffe. vinious. the alcohol defintely let's it be known this is not a normal imp stout! Not offensive but what a hit!

M - very thick beer. not syrupy but close. Wonderful sipping beer.

D - One's enough. Great to have but I can't imagine trying another beer in a sitting after having one of these!

horde it! cellar it! Enjoy It!

05-05-2006 19:26:35 | More by barleywinebrewer
jameaterblues

4.68/5  rDev +11.7%

So as of last night I am officially finished with my thesis at college and I decided to celebrate. World Wide Stout(WWS) was the beer that I chose to break out of my stash. I'm pretty sure this bottle contains more alcohol than any other beer I have ever drank, and it was a present from my girlfriend last time she went out of town($9 a bottle also makes it the most expensive beer I have ever drank).

This bottle has the year 2003 notched on the side of the label, and no alcohol content, but I have seen it on a bar's beer list and this vintage was labeled 23%.

WWS poured a really dark black, no light was able to get through the glass except around the rim. Around the rim of the glass there was some really dark reddish/brown hints. It had a very very thin, almost non-existent head, that was a coffee color, and a lace that coated the glass. The lace was so thick that it did not move at all.

This beer says its brewed with a 'ridiculous amount of barley', and this really comes out in the smell...lots of roasted, toasted malts as well as some strong coffee and chocolate flavors. It also had an oaky bourbon-esque scent, and there was some, but very little, alcohol present in the smell.

The taste was immediately of chocolate and roasted malts, with a little bit of hops to lighten up the body. Much a beer, but it did have some qualities of a liqueur. There was the oakyness, and alcohol in the finish, the other flavors in WWS really covered up the alcohol too, it was present but shadowed nicely. And it left an after taste of chocolate. This after taste was much sweeter than chocolate stouts (which tend to have a slightly bitter dark chocolate feel to me).

M/D- WWS was very thick and oily(not in a bad way, but the thickness and how it moved reminded me of oil). In the mouth it was heavy and silky providing a really enjoyable mouthfeel, and it coated my mouth with deliciousness. This is not one of those beers that you would take and drink a couple of them....after one I was really feeling the effects. Its a sipper, and this one lasted me an entire 2 1/2 hour movie. I found it to be extremely drinkable, and had no problem finishing the bottle, although it was a slow process, but be careful the alcohol will catch up on you. I can't wait to try another vintage.

05-02-2006 12:15:51 | More by jameaterblues
SSGPat

4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured black as tar... we couldn't get any light through it. We put a 75 watt bulb behind it and nothing! Now this is a stout!

alcohol and malty yeasty nose.

First taste was more like, "what have I gotten myself into?". But the more that I drank, the better that I liked it. The warmer the glass, the better I liked it. It took 45 minutes to drink the 4 ounces (we split the beer) that I was allocated, and the last sip was better than the first.

Big bold mouth. Lingers quite a while and gets better as it gets warmer as well.

Considering the 18% abv, I would not rate this as a beer that you could drink all day. More of an occasinal sharing beer.

Very good overall.

05-01-2006 04:05:45 | More by SSGPat
danielharper

4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

Received in trade from fdrich29. (Thanks, Frank!)

Bottled in 2003. Beer tasted and consumed on my one-year beer-reviewing anniversary, 4/28/06.

A: Pours black, black, black into a pint glass. No real head, just khaki-colored "soap scum" on the top of the glass. Leaves some lacing.

S: Aroma thick, malty, strong notes of grapes -- almost like a deep dark red wine. Slight astringency, slight coffee, and notes of licorice, walnuts, and caramel.

T: Strong coffee and raisin flavor, sweet and strongly astringent due to alcohol. Aftertaste astringent, again like a fine red wine -- no hop bitterness at all. Warming sensation in chest, and as the beer warms the flavor profile increases in maltiness.

M: Mouthfeel thick, syrupy, even chewy. Bready, even.

T: So incredibly drinkable. I'll be buying these whenever I see them.

04-29-2006 12:43:28 | More by danielharper
LeffeHanded

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

The DFH World Wide Stoudt is truly necture of the Gods. The colour is dark as night and sports a minimal head. Aromas tease the senses with hints of chocalate, vanilla and dried friut. Savoring the first of many swallow reveals the absence of a cidery taste one might expect from such a potent brew, (18%+ABV), though warms the palate with a comfortable rush of alchohol sweetness. World Wide's body is lightly carbonated,flavorful, and surprisingly drinkable. A must try for the beer coniseur.

04-17-2006 19:20:53 | More by LeffeHanded
Folderol

2.88/5  rDev -31.3%

I had really high hopes for this brew, since it's so well reviewed here and fits the whole "bigger is better" mindset. Looked good, nice head, black as possible, even the carbonation was good, but it all fell apart on taste. Maybe I was expecting something drier, but the whole experience was ruined for me by the syrupy, sickly sweetness. Maybe I drank it too fast, who knows. In my opinion, beer doesn't need to be this strong and there's a limit on how slowly one can sip a beer. I'd rather drink two Perkuno's Hammers or Black Chocolate Stouts, which are rich without being syrupy and a whole lot cheaper. Not worth the $8/bottle.

04-17-2006 16:04:37 | More by Folderol
edmundfitzoil

4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

A 12 oz. bottle of World Wide Stout with a bright green bottle cap on the bottle. I drank mine in a wine glass and shared a small glass with my dad.

The beer poured a very dark, thick appearing black color with a deep tan colored short head. The nose was enormous bitter chocolate, roasted and burnt malt, and alcohol smell at the finish. I also picked some faint black licorice tones. The beer was served at about cellar tempterature, and after each sip I allowed it sit on my tongue and allow the aftertaste to linger there. The flavor proved to be surprisingly subdued but complex enough. The beer had the expected chocolate and espresso flavors along with a fair amount of roasted malt taste. The huge alcohol allowed itself to hide until the aftertaste where it slowly lingered on the tongue with a liquor like presence. The flavors melded and tasted right though, and as I delved deeper into the bottle, the more I found myself liking the beer's flavor. A very solid beer with a sheer novelty attraction because of its abv and other factors. I would reach for it again if I could find it and wanted something to really wow some friends or have a nice dessert. I just couldn't drink more than one of these by myself.

04-15-2006 17:06:07 | More by edmundfitzoil
cheers2beers

Cellared since 2003:

Appearance: This double stout poured a solid black liquid with a hot chocolate froth colored head.Minimal laceing.Looks to be a fine stout.

Smell: The alcohol is overpowering all other scents. Chocolate hints,maple syrup and even a yeasty note. Raisin bread, slightly figgy.

Taste: Slight alcohol sting in the start and finish,the flavors come in the middle of the palate.Many dark fruits,raisins,soured grapes, figs, dates, a very strong mocha coffee, butterscotch, a sweet caramel malty complexity that is almost mind boggeling.Not bad ,very extreme and not as cloying as I would have imagined,but on the verge.

Mouthfeel: Seems this beer wants to be thick and chewy, and it is to an extent, but the alcohol seems to dillute and thin out the overall thickness of this brew.Sticky and oily substance. Think nice flavored bourbons while drinking this.

Drinkability: A pleasure to have tried this one. I believe the three years in the cellar has mellowed this one out a bit, but could probably do some good with a few more years. Shared a 12oz bottle with a friend of mine and I must admit 6 oz got me a buzz pretty quickly.

I would like to thank babbyhobbes for the pleasure of trying this masterpeice and hope I can get it again in the near future.

Cheers2Beers

04-12-2006 22:02:25 | More by cheers2beers
dieselboy914

3.38/5  rDev -19.3%

Slowly becoming a fan of Dogfish Head, and it should be no surprise considering the great suds they've been producing as of late...
So this is one that I had to try simply because of the word of mouth I've been hearing... such a strong one and so expensive
($11 at my local beer store)!!!

It was recommended to me by the Bierkraft associate that I pour this one into a port glass... and how right he was.
Like the midnight sky with a new moon, this beer is pitch black and completely opaque, with a thin and fine veil of a head that quickly disappears entirely... such mystery!
The smell is warm and inviting, almost like a hard liqours', with scents of malt and a little chocolate, although im not sure... this type of brew is new to me.
One sip knocked me into a seat and blew me away. Strong taste, wtih heavy alcoholic bite. Very malty, with chocolate and coffee undertones. It is pleasant to drink with meats and cheese, but in small amounts. Had to split the bottle with a friend. Could have drank the whole thing myself, but my low tolerance would have found my drunk afterward. The aftertaste is not as bitter as i would expect, but rather bittersweet, again like chocolate.

I imagine this being preferable during cold winter nights or rainy days... not an everyday brew.

04-10-2006 22:24:56 | More by dieselboy914
Phatz

4.9/5  rDev +16.9%

This is the first beer I have ever rated 5's. At $10 a 12oz bottle I was hoping it would be freakin good and my expectations were *very* high. Even with high expectations I impressed by a beer that superceded my wildest imagination! With a blindfold on, I think many people would mistake this for a wine or liquor. I never dreamed a beer could taste like this. I have seen the term 'vinous' used before but I never understood how a beer could taste like a wine, until now. I am so flabbergasted I can barely write (not to mention 18% ABV :)

Appearance: This beer should be the definition of black. I have never seen a 'Darker' beer. That is very black. It has a small dark brown head. The lacing is remarkably heavy. This is one good looking beer!

Smell: Grape! Extremely vinous. It seemed to be very Chambord-ish but with more of a deep red wine aroma; and a bit of Bourbon complexity. Some dark chocolate malts and then some more purple.

Taste: Grape, caramel and brown sugar to start with; that is followed by more sweet red berries, figs, dates, raisins and a subtle hint of chocolate and even deeper hints of vanilla. Definitely the most vinous beer I have ever tasted. I was expecting the alcohol to be rough. Of course it was noticeable but worked perfectly with the sweet flavor. Like some Brandy would too sugary without the balancing dry alcohol bite. The alcohol here is smooth and clearly part of the overall experience. The aftertaste is gently sweet and as pleasing as shoo-fly pie (my favorite food on earth). The aftertaste also leaves you with that 'Bourbon Breath', as I call it. The lingering sugars and alcohol leave me in a state of ecstasy, salivating out of control like a hungry dog; but a very *happy* one! This is truly sheer excellence!

Mouthfeel: This is the most smooth big beer with a very slick texture and a creamy chewy center. It is very full bodied but surprisingly light in the stomach.

Drinkability: It is fig Newton sweet but brilliantly balanced without being tart. I must admit this is the most unique beer experience. I have had to date! It did take me 2 hours to finish this beer; but at 18% ABV that is like four BMC beers. I have called other beers 'nightcap beers' before. But none of them can even shine a speck of light on World Wide Stout. This is a beer in a league of its own! It is completely unique and exceptional in every area! I feel honored to have been in its company.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

04-05-2006 07:13:38 | More by Phatz
sinstaineddemon

Connecticut

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

A - pours motor oil black with a thin dark tan head that disappears very quickly

S - licorice and raisin aromas with a twinge of alcohol, very sweet-smelling, cant wait to try this, its smells great

T - a raisin-y flavor, alcohol is strong, stronger than the 120 minute IPA, there is also a slight chocolate flavor, and it ends with a nice subtle hop kick

M - very velvety and smooth, it has a nice mouth coat, what a sweet beverage to drink

D - the only drawback here, like the 120 Min IPA, is the ABV, know how to handle your shit

04-01-2006 05:10:41 | More by sinstaineddemon
gdogalishus

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Oh my... This beer is one fantastic beverage. The only bad thing about this is the fact that you CANNOT drink more than a couple of these. At 18 - 21% ABV (depending on the year) this packs a serious walop of alcohol, but the emense flavor and complexity that fills the mouth and tongue more than make up for the liver desruction that you will experience.
Pours an absolute black color... don't even try to peer through this one. It's black. The aroma is sweet, but a dark hideously evil sweet that hides a huge hoppy beer from the nose. I snikker every time I have this beer, oh thank you Sam for delivering heaven and hell in a bottle.
The flavor is one you are not prepared for. Deep dark roasted malts, thick heavy dark port wine type flavor with a mouthfeel that says "don't bother eating dinner, just have one of me!" Alcohol is apparent and will challenge your pallete instantly... This beer blatantly proclaims ..." I will kick your ass!!!" And the rest of the night is a blackout. If you can, find the 2002 vintage ... absolutely superb. I only rate it low on drinkability and anyone who has tried it knows why.

03-30-2006 02:56:59 | More by gdogalishus
SetarconeX

4.47/5  rDev +6.7%

Visually seems to suck the very light from the room. Extremely dark, witth only a tad of deep brown froth on top. Scents of molasses, dark rum, hints of chocolate, maybe the faintest whiff of something like currents and anise. One of the most unique aromas I've ever had.

Taste is more restrained than many stouts, but full of molasses, plums, and malt. Finishes with a slightly lingering, very faint taste of mocha. Slick, creamy mouthfeel that's completely unexpected, making it an astonishingly drinkable stout, especially at this ABV.

Claims to be a stout, but in reality is a unique, sweet, plummy style unto itself. There's nothing else quite like it, and definately something that must be tried to be understood.

03-28-2006 00:27:04 | More by SetarconeX
mcallister

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a deep dark purple black. Quickly to dissipate head with very little traces of carbonation. A delicious nose of raisins, port, and chocolate. Drinks very smoothly, slightly hot on the finish. Good roasted barley qualities, slightly sweet, with a smokey chocolate covered raisin finish. Although high in the alcohol I must say I could drink a few of these beauties as long as I consumed a large meal before hand. Uncanny how winelike this is as I'm a wino at heart. But just can't afford the types of wines I enjoy drinking. (Anything expensive)

03-26-2006 19:56:03 | More by mcallister
quasimoto

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%

A - pours a jet black with a little dark tan head and slight lacing.

S - ...this is the most incredible smelling beer I have ever let my nose had the priviledge of smelling. The strong aroma of chocolate and port wine come through like a wave of angelic finger tickling my nose hairs. The background of a strong alcohol prescense nibbles the end of a waft of it to let you know there is a wonderful experience ahead of you.

T - The Strong alcohol of this majestic beer immediately warms the mouth, bringing the massive amounts of roasted barley, chocolate, slight coffee. molasses, and that once again flavor of port wine that makes this beer something to enjoy all by itself.

M - the soft caressing carbination that bubbles, that rides in on the back of the impecable flavor is like a satin cloud. The warmth of the alcohol lets it hold your tounge like a thick down comforter on a cold blistery winters day.

D - This my fellow Beer Advocates is a beer like any other around. For the style of this beer, the double stout, it blows it away and paves the way for a new breed of beer that cant be matched on any other level.

this bottle was bottled in 2003 which helped with the flavors, so go buy a case and lay them down for a long time. you wont regret it. And a huge thank you to baby hobbes for letting me have this bottle from her cherished collection.

03-24-2006 23:47:04 | More by quasimoto
Frozensoul327

4.13/5  rDev -1.4%

An extreme beer, to say the least. Pours out to a flat black color with little carbonation and a rumbling of brown bubbles produces a nice dense head of brown foam. Uniform rings of lace circle the interior of the glass. Aromas of thick malts, dark grapes, rich red wine, dark chocolates. Taste is full and hearty; alcohol sears the mouth and throat, while flavors of dark chocolate, roasted grains and malt, dark plumbs and grapes, and red wine dance on the tongue. A sipper all the way. No gulpin' here. Mouthfeel is heavy and motor oil like; very thick, yet not too chewy or overly dense. Fair drinkablity. This is a great beer, but so powerful that I doubt i'd be back to revisit it often. Pehaps once a year is enough for me. The 18% ABV is where this beer's drinkability takes a dive. Cut it down to more traditional 7-10% ABV and you've got a double stout that tops all others. Recommended nonetheless.

03-22-2006 00:43:21 | More by Frozensoul327
DaggerEyes

4.85/5  rDev +15.8%

Poured this bottle into a pint glass. World Wide Stout poured one of the blackest beers I have EVER seen. When holding this beer to the light it doesn't even give off hues of another color.

This beer has a wonderful nose laced with the scent of raisins and Figs, at times it smells a bit like cooked fruit or figs.

This beer is very active in the front of the mouth and some what bitter or chocolatey yet finishes extremely smooth and sweet with the fig and raisin flavors coming into the equation.

This is a DANGEROUSLY drinkable beer, as it masks it's high alchohol content very well. Watch out or you will quickly end up on your ass. It would get a five for drinability, but I don't know how many of these anyone could drink

03-17-2006 02:51:00 | More by DaggerEyes
ken3c

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Opaque virtually black. Ring of tan foam with small islands of foam. Syrupy coatings on glass. I like to see a little more foam but impressively dark.

There is a whiff of alcohol and smell of mango and banana. Very interesting

Nutmeg, hazelnut, cappuccino, cherry cordial, and a hint of red wine. Quite sweet. Complex and wonderfull

Medium body with an alcohol burn. Also syrupy. Again, a littly foamier would be nice.

Dangerously drinkable. This might have been even better with a little more carbonation and dare I say, a little less alcohol.

03-16-2006 03:33:17 | More by ken3c
kmo1030

4.22/5  rDev +0.7%

2004 tasted on 3/12/06
appearance: oily black with no head. some orangey highlights. it doesn't look like there is much carbonation.
aroma: malty roasted rich powdered cocoa chocolate with some stong vinous qualities. it is very fruity: cherries, plum, grape mostly. it's clearly got a high abv, but it does not become
taste: fruity flavors are what are immediately noticable, again it's cherries, plum, and grape. following that up is some of the roasty cocoa like flavors with caramel. it's really very red wine-like. the booze creates a little spicyness, but nothing overwhelming, overall the alcohol is hidden pretty well.
mothfeel. full and rich, and very lightly carbonated. a slight burn at the back of the throat from the booze, but again nothing overwhelming.
good drinkability for what it is. so many times beers like this are sort of messy. this achieves "extremeness" while maintaining focus, and complexity with becoming overwhelming and difficult.

03-13-2006 00:50:31 | More by kmo1030
cubedbee

Maryland

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

12 oz bottle from 2003, slightly chilled, poured into a Dogfish snifter. Pours a very dark brown/black, just the slightest bit of lights around the edges, no head at all or any sign of carbonation. Aroma is a gentle roasted malt with a slight chocolate edge, port, prunes, figs, vanilla, oak, rum-soaked cherry, very nice, very delectable, alcohol doesn't dominate the nose as expected. Taste is a strong roasty/burnt malt upfront, flavors of vanilla, cocoa, and oak, with a fruity alcoholic wine-like finish. Alcohol is definitely evident in every sip, but it blends nicely with the other tastes and doesn't make you cringe. Full bodied, thick, slightly syrupy, coating your tongue with lingering goodness. This is not an every day kind of stout, but for the alcohol monster it is, this is an amazingly tasty and drinkable beer.

03-12-2006 19:57:10 | More by cubedbee
nflmvp

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

12 ounce bottle 2/25/06.

This poured a dark, DARK brown with no head and just a trace of bubbles around the outer edge of the snifter. Smell was roasty, malty, yummy....but with laced with the bite of alcohol. The taste was similar to the aroma....roasty, malty and almost no hop presence, but more drinkable than you'd expect for such a high ABV....even better than previous years of this same brew. Mouthfeel was slightly thick and creamy with just a bit of tang from the alcohol. Overall I found it to be very enjoyable. One bottle was perfect for the night. I'm looking forward to special occassions this summer, when I can break out a few of these to enjoy with company.

03-12-2006 02:19:11 | More by nflmvp
Jredner

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

At first the aroma only offers choclate and some maltiness, but as I continue to inhale a deluge of alcohol comes and backs me off. This has some ass to it no doubt. Pours pitch black and this beer truly has NO head. Not even a few bubbles of carbonation holding hands to impersonate a head. Choclate cough syrup. Straight up. There is some rum soaked date and fig toward the finish, but mostly malty/choclate and alcohol flavors predominate. I used to think this beer was too expensive, but considering 2-4 oz is what I believe to be the proper serving you get 3-6 servings a bottle. This is the second beer I have had after battling a cold and this has perked me right the heck up. Crazy beer, but as a feat of brewing it merits good marks.

03-09-2006 20:30:00 | More by Jredner