World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
whartontallboy

2003 edition, consumed December 2005.

Pours out jet black, almost like motor oil, with a thin head of tightly-packed dark brown bubbles. Head is small but lasts pretty well, particularly for a two-year-old brew.

Smell is huge: coffee, roasted/burnt barley and grains, a little bit of chocolate, a big whiff of alcohol, and some plums and figs.

Taste is quite malty, very roasted and burnt, with a lot of sugary sweetness in there as well, and some figs and plums coming through more clearly, almost like they've been candied. The alcohol is still there and gives it a little hotness, but it's not distracting or boozy by any stretch; for the ABV it's masked extremely well. Little hints of vanilla and honey sneak into the flavor as well.

Overall: A huge flavor, but fun to sip and enjoy, and an interesting stout, if not for the price.

12-26-2005 16:28:05 | More by whartontallboy
Hibernator

4.55/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Dogfish Head World Wide Stout - 2003 -
12 oz brown bottle
Packaged in 2003
Served in an oversized snifter glass

* Christmas Eve 2005 *

Pours a jet black color with tan colored lacings. Looks like flat Coca Cola. Interesting patterns of thin brown lace appear on the side of the snifter.

Strong aroma of sweet pruins and vanilla.

Taste is super sweet with hints of raisins, plums and prunes. There is a coffee or espresso bitterness as well. Creamy mouthfeeel with oaky vanilla flavors. Complex with juicy malts and hoppy snaps on the finish. Pleasantly mellow and smooth.

This is without a doubt one monster of a beer. It's hard to believe that this is 18% ABV. It's a beer to enjoy and sip with appreciation. A great choice on this Christmas Eve afternoon.

12-24-2005 20:24:43 | More by Hibernator
granger10

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev -11.7%

This was one truly interesting offering from Dogfish Head. 2004 edition.

Pours an insanely dank black color with a very nice creamy tan head. Head maintains itself for about a minute then reduces to near nothingness.

Aroma is very roasted with a mixture of sweeter malts and coffee notes. Vanilla and bourbon and vinous notes mix in there as well but the alcohol is not as strong as I was expecting.

Taste begins with an underlying sweet chocolate flavor and then the roasted espresso comes strong. A bit of oak along with some fruity notes and then pure alcohol on the finish. Reminiscent of rum. Midway through to the long finish is completely dominated by alcohol. This is one heavy hitter. I've never had one bottle take so long to drink. Hops might be in here but the roasted malts and alcohol make sure to drown them out.

Body is actually somewhat creamy and smooth for what its got but its also slightly on the thin side. As for drinkability, 12 oz is by far enough and that took some time. But I did enjoy it.

This is a sipper to savor, esp during the cold Michigan winters. I couldn't drink this everyday, esp b/c of the price, but its worth a buy here and there. Very interesting.

12-10-2005 15:51:22 | More by granger10
TastyTaste

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

A much anticipated 12 oz. brown glass bottle from Px2Grafx in Beer and Gear BIF.

Appearance: It's an 18% stout, how should it look? Thick, black, light defeating. The head is surprisingly large and rentetive, a nice dark mroon/tan color.

Smell: Alcohol is dominant, dark coffee, dark chocolate. There are weaker beers with a fuller aroma.

Taste: Alcohol is probably overdone, and very obvious in this one, does have some of the "soy sauce" flavor that I have sensed in some very strong stouts. The flavors just kind of make you hang on for the ride, though. The intensity of the alcohol bolsters the strength of the coffee flavors that you can perceive. The more i have of this the more i like it, though, you get used to the intense alcohol burn and can enjoy all that is going on in this beer.

Mouthfeel: Slick and not very efervescent, but that is to be expected with a beer of this caliber.

Drinkability: A cold winter nights sipper. I would like to thank Px2Grafx for the oppurtunity to try this. It is not my favorite stout, but a very interesting and memorable beer. Recommended.

12-04-2005 02:31:18 | More by TastyTaste
KroMagnon

Tennessee

3.85/5  rDev -8.1%

Typical stout look - black, tan head - except the head isn't too large at all, which isn't unusual given the high alcohol content. The aroma is fruity, kind of a soft lemon aroma, with roasted malt adding in a nice counterbalance and complexity. The aroma is very nice. The flavor is probably what I'd expect - its rather sweet, even cloying, and attempts at balance through roasted barley bitterness and some hop bitterness are pretty well done considering that if they were heavier it'd end up tasting like cough syrup. Overall, I like the concept of the beer and I'm glad to try it - it'd be great to share with the homebrew club and friends. However, I'm afraid I regard it more as a novelty - even more than most winter warmers, imperial stouts, barley wines, etc - and given its cloying sweetness I'm probably going to mark down its drinkability.

12-02-2005 22:54:42 | More by KroMagnon
PatYoda

Colorado

2.7/5  rDev -35.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 1.5

2003 Version.

Pours a dark brown with actually a small head! This lasts for a minute or two surprisingly. Bonus points for that because this is 18%.

Smell and taste are both surprisingly weak. After drinking one, this beer is kind of an enigma to me. The smell is nice with some vanilla and molasses notes, along with some alcohol and a strange mintiness. I don't get anything else though, except some fleeting cocoa that shows up occasionally. There's not nearly as much alcohol in the aroma or taste as I expected, which is good. The taste is equally faint. I get the same vanilla and sugary sweet molasses flavors, but no roasted malt or dark fruit flavors as expected. There is a definite alcohol burn which might be inhibiting my ability to sense these other flavors, but really as with the smell, the alcohol doesn't dominate as much as you would expect, and I'm pretty sure it's just that these flavors are not there in enough abundance for me to detect. I would have to echo a lot of the other reviewers who said that the alcohol is hidden very well, but I definitely disagree that this beer is a model of complexity. There are no hops to speak of here. The mouthfeel is surprisingly milky, though medium bodied. Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with this one. The deep imperial stout flavors that I expected are all missing and have been replaced by what is best described as a milk stout on steroids. It never gets too sweet, but only because the flavor isn't that strong to begin with. Drinkability is low.

12-02-2005 01:29:55 | More by PatYoda
Sayson

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

2004 vintage. Served in a pint glass.

Appearance: So black it's almost blue. Thin head some lacing evident.

Smell: Hot alcohol, cinnamon, brown sugar, molasses, very complex and inviting

Taste: some roastiness, grainy, alcohol burn lingers, aftertaste is hard to describe

Mouthfeel: chewy, full

Drinkability: Amazingly drinkable considering the ABV. It's unlike many extreme beers in this regard.

Kudos to the good people in Rehobeth Beach. WWS is a real winner. I think this is better than Storm King, though I am not a huge stout fan.

12-01-2005 04:09:23 | More by Sayson
arguemaniac

4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

This is a sample of this year’s vintage, purchased a day ago. I have a few bottle of this one (from various years) aging in my beer cellar, I’ll have to review one some day. I bet aging mellows this brew nicely. But for now…

I could tell this was going to big a brew just by the appearance: there was little to no head (which is typical of beers that have a high percentage of alcohol), and the color was utterly opaque and black (with dark copper highlights). The liquid was thick and coated the glass. The smell was a robust blend of alcohol, sweet malt, roasted malt, and burnt fruit. The taste is a pretty powerful and very complex mixture: there is obviously a strong note of alcohol, sugary malt, various roasted flavors (coffee, bitter chocolate, etc), whiskey and rum notes, a number of dark, dried fruits (raisins, dates, prunes, etc) and a couple of other things that I can’t really narrow down. The finish is eclipsed by sweet alcohol and some roastiness. The body is quite thick with very little carbonation.

Wow, this is one robust beer, and so complex that it might be above my reviewing ability. It reminds me a lot of Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stout, only much richer with a far heavier alcohol content. However, I wouldn’t say I’ve enjoyed this one more than Black Chocolate, it isn’t nearly as drinkable only because of the alcohol. I will say though that for a beer with nearly 20% ABV, the alcohol is nicely mellowed by all the other flavors. Still, though delicious, it’s more like drinking liquor than beer. Highly recommended (but split it with a buddy, I had to).

11-25-2005 04:48:12 | More by arguemaniac
froggyfrog

3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

1 year old 2004 vintage served in a large snifter.

Pours jet black with a dark brown foam crown. Exhibits moderate lacing when swirled.

Smells of alcohol, roasted malt and hard candy.

Enters the mouth like an oil slick. Tastes like toasted multigrain bread. This beer coats the tongue. It feels both syrupy sweet and bitter-dry all at once. Reminiscent of a Russian Imperial Stout. Lots of alcohol present in this one. At times it seems more like a liquor than a beer while still remaining quite drinkable.

All-in-all an interesting and complex piece of work. This is a big, dark, thick and alcohol-heavy brew.

Recommended.

11-24-2005 06:32:59 | More by froggyfrog
orsulacp

3.95/5  rDev -5.7%

This review is based on the 2005 version. The beer poured with a small tan head, very dark jet black color with some ruby being reflected back. There is something wrong with the smell, kind of like spent barley at a brewery tour, there is a bit of vanilla and some solvent like smells. The taste is great, very complex. At first I get some vanilla, and toasted barley, and then some fruits like a raison or raspberry and it finishes with a coffee after taste. The body is very thick and chewy with light carbonation and a very dry finish. The high alcohol is masked in the taste amazingly well. I bought a case of this so I can't wait to see how this changes with aging.

11-24-2005 01:44:08 | More by orsulacp
BillyB

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Deep dark brown to black pour with no head and little carbonation. Very deep, rich maltiness with a dark fruit aroma and taste. Grapes/raisins, plums? Sweet, dark fruit taste is a good balance with the immense maltiness. A unique stout from a unique brewery. I am consistently amazed by DFH's ability to brew HUGE yet drinkable beers.

11-24-2005 00:16:44 | More by BillyB
fromage

2.2/5  rDev -47.5%

Well, I don't know if it was me, the bottle, or what, but I really didn't like this one at all, and I like big beers. In general I thought it was far far too alcoholic at the expense of everything else. I'll try to review it for it's style of quadruple stout! :)

Bought this year, but stamped as a 2003. I have no idea what the handling of it was, but there wasn't any dust. Bottle looked fine.

Poured into a snifter after leaving it out an hour. Surprising amount of head at first, but soon there was less than lacing. Jet black with some hardly detectable brown bubbling. Only towards the bottom of the glass could I see some brown fringe.

Here's where I start to regret spending 8$ and a friday night: Other reviews noted how complex this beer was, but I hardly got a whiff of anything other than cherry liquer, ethanol, and cough syrup. Maybe a hint of molasses and currants. Reminds me of EKU 28 (though it's been a while since that one).

I'm bracing myself for the taste--it's even worse than expected. Cringing alcohol bite, but now I get some molasses and some licorice. However, the burn moves to the back of my throught and lingers while my tongue stays syrupy sweet. No hops, just burning alcohol bite.

Mouthfeel is surprisingly weak, but still at least medium.

Sorry, I could hardly drink this one. There's a reason I don't drink hard liquor. Maybe I'm a wuss, and I'd give DFH an A for effort, but like a few of their other beers, this seemed like an experiment gone wrong.

11-12-2005 14:32:38 | More by fromage
rhoadsrage

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a jet black with a thin wisp of a head that is dark brown. There is a good carbonation that I can see at the surface but the body is to opaque to see any bubbles.

S- Even child this beer has a complex aroma. The smell of dark malt, brown sugar, raisins and prunes. A faint hint of slightly sweet black licorice and a hint of graham cracker and tar also.

T- The taste of dark roasted malt and grain are big but balance by an alcohol warmth at the finish. There is a slight tanginess at the finish that taste a bit light dark roasted grain. The finish is slightly vinous with hints of big red wines.

M- This beer has a full body with a very faint creaminess to it. The alcohol warmth, although gentle, cuts some of the creamy quality. As it warms the carbonation does give it a bigger mouthfeel.

D- For such a big beer this is very smooth and all the complex flavors really meld together. The dark flavors of malt and dried fruit are balance by an alcohol warmth instead of hops. This is a great beer but it it outside the box of double stouts.

11-09-2005 01:54:24 | More by rhoadsrage
nlmartin

3.83/5  rDev -8.6%

Served from the bottle into a pub style glass.

Appearance: Poured a dead black with no head. No lacing noted to the beer.

Smell: Notes of vannilla and bourbon great the nose. There is a woody floral chocolate and coffee smell noted. The alcohol fumes great the nose but are not offensive.

Taste: A very thickly syrupy sweet beer. There are fruity raisin and chocolatey flavors that prevail. The bourbon like taste of the alchol is a welcome addition. There is a lot going on taste wise to this beer.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: This is a thickly syrupy sweet beer. Carbonation is lacking but this is not a surprise. The alcohol content is very strong but not offensive. This is not an easy beer to drink. However it is still a great beer. This beer should be sipped and savored. It may even be suitable for sharing the 12 ounce bottle between a couple of drinkers.

11-08-2005 03:17:00 | More by nlmartin
hero27

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Pours as dark as any beer I've had. Very thin head resides for a while, but soon erodes to nothing. Rich, complex aroma and tastes are extraordinary. Sweet vanilla, earthy roasted malts, light smoke, spices, and an array of dark fruits all play a major role in this delicious beer. Obviously full....no, huge mouthfeel and thick, oily consistency. Alcohol is present, but not as much of a kick-in-the-mouth as I expected.
To put it bluntly...one bottle is enough. The strongest beer I've had to date..and one is enough to enjoy with a couple friends. This is a slow drinker, by anyone's standards. Not for the faint of palate.

Huge thanks for Px2GrafX for the bottle. Another great and unique offering from a fantastic brewery.

11-07-2005 00:17:44 | More by hero27
shbobdb

Indiana

2.9/5  rDev -30.8%

This is the kind of beer where I wish we didn't have the 250 limit. If we didn't all I would say is: Meh, I've had bigger.
Sure the 18% alcohol is well hidden and the beer tastes fine, I guess. The only outstanding thing about this beer is how well it hides the alcohol, rather than any particular aspect of its taste.
It was very thin bodied as well. Come on, I want a STOUT, a nice, chewy beer and this just wasn't it.
I would not get this beer again. If you want a tastey example of this style, grab Bell's 7,000

11-03-2005 17:50:57 | More by shbobdb
smcolw

Pours nearly black with a solid tan head.

Very rich malt aromas. A little bit of a band-aid smell. Obviously, a very high alcohol content.

Very powerful flavors. As expected, this is very rich with a lot alcohol warmth and oiliness. More coffee than chocolate. Surprisingly short aftertaste. Reminds me of a cross between a dry stout and a cordial.

This is the most expensive beer I've had ($8.99 for 12oz). Great for a taste, but I don't think I'd normally get a six-pack. Great session beer against other Imperial Stouts.

10-29-2005 23:40:44 | More by smcolw
unknownlamer

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Uncultured picked me up a bottle of '04, and damn is this good. We poured it into a tulip glass, and it lookes and smells amazing. This is the darkest black beer I have ever seen. The smell really reminds me of a dark wine or a barley wine with a very fruity nose with strong alcohol notes.

The taste is amazing. It starts off tasting like a barley wine (and feeling like a dark red wine) with a very strong (but smooth) alcohol presence. It is deliciously roasty with a a bit of a bitter chocolate and roasted flavor accompanied by some kind of fruit (plum? I'm not sure). The finish is fairly smooth with a mild bitterness. Hell, it goes down easier than a Guiness! It leaves a nice lasting alcohol warmth in the throat, and my stomach slowly filled with alcohol warmth.

I'd have given this a 5.0 for drinkability, but I was really buzzed by the time I finished this (I don't think I'll be able to drive for another hour or more). Otherwise this beer is nearly perfect.

10-27-2005 18:45:49 | More by unknownlamer
Smittysguinness

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I. Love. This. Stout.

I decided to try some after spying it at my favorite store. I was a little apprehensive at first because stouts can sometimes just leave a bad burnt taste in your mouth, or be so heavy and sweet what it's tough to finish (though I have never poured a beer out...I always finish what I'm drinking, outta respect for beer and all).

WOW. Deep black in the glass, little head that left some good lacing. Splinter Cell black. Ninja black.

The smell and the taste on this stout are so close. Smell-wise, it is so different than so many other stouts; it had stuff I would normally find in deep red wines, like currants. Got a good whiff of malt too.

The taste was the best part. My eyes well-up just thinking about it. Currants. Chocolate. Barley. Coffee. Alcohol (but not too much...in fact, it's perfect). I could go on, but the point is that the fruitiness of this beer is in darker, heavy fruits. It was like a molasses cookie made into beer. No, better, it was like all your favorite vices made into a beer. Mix a cigar with chocolate and coffee and make it into beer.

The mouthfeel was super-smooth, like drinking liquid silk. Drinkability is incredible. Huge alcohol content, but who's counting. I will buy this beer every time I go out.

10-25-2005 04:40:11 | More by Smittysguinness
Bumpon10s

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - An unusual deep reddish tone for a stout. No head, with a touch of lace. Has an odd stained glass appearance to the top of the beer.

S - The best smelling stout you'll find. However, perhaps because it breaks precedent. A massive nose of raisins, courants, barley, malts and alcohol. A very sweet nose that you won't be able to put down.

T - Temperature changes this beer. When cold, you get lots of fruits and sweet malts and barley. As it warms, you'll get a more complex flavor with a bit less in the fruits and more in the barley and much more in the alcohol. Still a great tasting beer, that demands sipping.

M - Temperature regardless, this beer is smoother than silk. Although, as it warms the alcohol gets a lot more prevalent. Warms in the mouth and the belly.

D - Great on taste, an amazingly drinkable beer. BUT, at 18% it is a sipper to say the least. I enjoyed it, but was plenty satisified to not need any more.

10-24-2005 01:15:47 | More by Bumpon10s
DarkerTheBetter

4.72/5  rDev +12.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer pours very dark with a frothy hot cocoa like head that falls to a thin persistent head. The “4 D-cell maglite test” reveals a nice red hue.

Smells like chocolate. Not the euphemism for coffee, but like a big old Hershey’s bar. There’s also some citrus, some black liquorish, brown sugar, Wow!

The flavors are intense. So many dynamics in the taste, its hard to nail them all down as they go by. Again, its chocolate and some coffee. When the alcohol warms up, it lights up an entirely different spectrum of flavors. Green grapes, port, citrus, licorice, Amazing.

The mouthfeel is creamy with a delightful amount of carbonation that works well to help blend the alcohol sensation.

This beer is expensive for a little bottle, but its worth it. This is at bare minimum, a two person job. Sit down with a friend and figure out what this one tastes like to you. You won’t be disappointed. Spectacular beer!

10-19-2005 02:48:19 | More by DarkerTheBetter
waldowin

Washington

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Managed to land this beer in a fantastic trade with Jetsbeer, and am told it is a 2004. Many thanks for this awesome stout!

[Edit: D'oh! It's actually a 2001. Impressed that I was so blessed.]

Pours a *very* thick black, no light at all gets through. It takes some serious coaxing to get a head out of this beer, and it doesn't stick around for long.Fantastic lacing, artwork on crystal.

I can smell this beer from a foot away. Tons of dark fruits, cherries, and alcohol, with a hint of coffee. The alcohol is pretty strong in the smell, gives you a good warning as to what you're getting in to. It's probably possible to get a buzz off the smell alone.

If you made a hot chocolate drink entirely with dark chocolate and vanilla, this is what it would taste like. The chocolate flavor is very strong throughout, and definitely hides the alcohol nip. Cherries rush past the sides of your tongue, and coffee rides the crest. Hops are almost nonexistant. You can taste the flavors mixing and fading for almost a full minute after each swallow. About 10-15 seconds *after* you swallow, there's a sharp alcohol nip on your tongue, and you suddenly feel a lot warmer. Just perfect for sub-zero temperatures outside.

This is probably the thickest beer I've ever had. It's absolutely massive, and syrupy throughout, just slides around the tongue. After a while, the alcohol fades in, and is extremely warming.

Your lips are left with cherries, your mouth with chocolate syrup, and your throat with fumes from a good scotch. Definitely a bit harsh on your throat, but sublimely tasty. If it weren't for the "day-long-scotch-binge" feel your throat develops, this would be a 5 for drinkability. Just wonderful.

10-18-2005 06:25:46 | More by waldowin
sacfly

Maryland

4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

Had this at the new DFH in Gaithersburg, MD. They had it in a cooler of vintage DFH beers. Split it with a friend. This is the 2002 version with “Vim and Vigor” blacked out.

Served in a brandy snifter. Jet black opaque appearance. Little to no head. Very light carbonation. Aroma is of brandy or a fine sherry. The flavor is the same as the aroma, with a mild roasted barley taste in the background. Very smooth.

I remembered this being very sharp and alcoholic when I first had one. Age did this wonders. Nicely rounded out at this point. Just an easy sipping silky smooth sherry. Just don’t expect a overly roasted or chocolate stout.

10-14-2005 22:26:05 | More by sacfly
HoboAGoGo

Indiana

3.98/5  rDev -5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark ruby into the glass, small head of course, do to the content. Smelled of port, alcohol, grain and fruits, such as plums. Tastes much the same, the alcohol is very apparent on the tongue. Almost burns if you try to drink more than a sip. I don't find beers this strong to be drinakle, but it did taste good, and I may drink another one, eventually.

10-09-2005 08:14:51 | More by HoboAGoGo
Riggsy

3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

2004 Bottle won at 1st Annual DFH Bocce Tournament.

Appearance: Pours a thick black with light brown head which receded quickly.

Smell: Roasted maltiness with maple and caramel notes.

Taste: Lots of flavors going on, caramel, maple, chocolate and vanilla. Also quite a bit of alcohol warmth which I would expect from a ~18% brew

Mouthfeel: Full bodied. Thick like a syrup.

Drinkability: It would be hard to drink more than one of these in a session. Definitely break this one out on a special occasion or when you really just want one good beer. Not highly carbonated

10-05-2005 19:40:25 | More by Riggsy