World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
nflmvp

Wisconsin

4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

12 ounce bottle 2/25/06.

This poured a dark, DARK brown with no head and just a trace of bubbles around the outer edge of the snifter. Smell was roasty, malty, yummy....but with laced with the bite of alcohol. The taste was similar to the aroma....roasty, malty and almost no hop presence, but more drinkable than you'd expect for such a high ABV....even better than previous years of this same brew. Mouthfeel was slightly thick and creamy with just a bit of tang from the alcohol. Overall I found it to be very enjoyable. One bottle was perfect for the night. I'm looking forward to special occassions this summer, when I can break out a few of these to enjoy with company.

03-12-2006 02:19:11 | More by nflmvp
Jredner

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

At first the aroma only offers choclate and some maltiness, but as I continue to inhale a deluge of alcohol comes and backs me off. This has some ass to it no doubt. Pours pitch black and this beer truly has NO head. Not even a few bubbles of carbonation holding hands to impersonate a head. Choclate cough syrup. Straight up. There is some rum soaked date and fig toward the finish, but mostly malty/choclate and alcohol flavors predominate. I used to think this beer was too expensive, but considering 2-4 oz is what I believe to be the proper serving you get 3-6 servings a bottle. This is the second beer I have had after battling a cold and this has perked me right the heck up. Crazy beer, but as a feat of brewing it merits good marks.

03-09-2006 20:30:00 | More by Jredner
akorsak

3.8/5  rDev -9.3%

This is 2004 vintage WWS, served in a 12 oz. bottle at Dogfish Head Alehouse in Gaitherburg, MD. The ale is served slightly chilled, pulled from their vintage cellar.

Appearance: The ale is black as night. No hints of ruby red or any other colors emerge when the ale is held to light. The ale poured with little head and does not appear to be too carbonated.

Smell: The ale smells of deep vinous characteristics. It is similar to a port in aroma, albeit slightly sweeter.

Taste: The ale is deep and rich, tasting of roasted malts and sweet port notes. The alcohol is not hidden in this big boy, playing a big part on the taste of the beer.

Mouthfeel: The alcohol, roasted malts and port flavors mix well together, giving the ale a sweet mouthfeel that belies a warming alcohol.

Drinkability: At 18%, the drinkability is extremely low. Take a bottle, age it a few years and share it with some friends after a good dinner.

03-04-2006 21:47:26 | More by akorsak
orbitalr0x

4.8/5  rDev +14.6%

2003 vintage. Older gold DFH cap without "Vim & Vigor" on the label if you're wondering how to tell what vintage you have! Pours from the 12oz longneck bottle like a slick, syrupy oil spill into my glass. I can coax a thin ring of dark tan foam to appear and at 18% I wasn't expecting much more. Intricate lacing emerges above the incredibly dark brew. Aromas begin with huge sweet roasted dark malt accentuated by rampant chocolate and coffee aromas. A deep vinous, port wine character with a touch of vanilla, plums and dark fruits. Robust and a tad burnt with wisps of alcohol. Simply freakin awesome.

First sip brings a veritable onslaught of rich, sweet roasty burnt maltiness and the minute it hits your tongue you know it's not fuckin around. A myriad of flavors invade the mouth including chocolate, ground coffee, vanilla and molasses. Midway through the sip the vinous, port wine-esque character appears with hints of plums and various dark fruits. Fairly sweet, but kept in check by a nice toasted bitterness on the way down and a slight note of hops. Alcohol lurks in with the finish and warms the throat on the way down. Personally, I find this to be an incredibly enjoyable sipper and a great massive stout.

Mouthfeel is big, thick and viscous...this brew nearly weighs down your tongue as you drink it. Rich and decadent with a mellow carbonation that suits it well. Truly an experience and one of the best high gravity brews I've yet to sample. Kick back, sip and enjoy this one over a few hours. Sublime. I can't believe I waited this long to try this, Dogfish Head continues to meet and surpass my expectations. Well worth the price and the hunt to find it.

2001 vintage: Vim and Vigor still on the label. This one was showing oxidation signs with lots of raisin and cocoa flavors throughout each sip. No noticeable alcohol bite and low carbonation. Body has thinned a little bit. Still tasty.

2002 vintage: Vim and Vigor crossed out with black marker. Hot and boozy upfront with good carbonation. Sweet dark malts. Dark vinous fruits abound with cocoa accents. Molasses in there too. Super flavorful and bold....aging beautifully.

2003 vintage: Smoother with rich dark malts and not as sweet. Cocoa cake, raisin and dark fruit. Cherry accents. Not as hot alcohol wise as the 2002. Drinking great right now.

(Will post further vintage review as I crack them....we only got through 3 years at a previous tasting...)

03-04-2006 04:25:29 | More by orbitalr0x
Litterbean

4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

Well this is the most alcoholic beer I have ever tried, and needless to say, it also cost a good $8.99 for a 12 ounce bottle. But damn, this is a good experience.

Pours all black. The head is fizzy, and there is little carbonation. The head doesn't stick around long at all.

The smell is very inviting. Toasty burnt bread, maple syrup, and some of that 18% alcohol.

What a warm taste. I get hints of black licorice, oak aged bourbon, a lot of that alcohol, and hell of a lot of sweet maltiness. Incredibly sweet/alcoholic, but not overpowering or cloying. Creamy mouthfeel, very smooth and not at all hard to swallow. For a beer with such potency, this is very easy to drink, if only by sipping.

02-21-2006 04:36:05 | More by Litterbean
Zorro

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Pours a clear super dark brown colored beer that manages to for a little bit of dark brown head despite the high alcohol level.

Smell is surprisingly sweet and fruity with plums and raisins being the strongest scents at the start. Cherries, figs and rum cake are the next levels of aroma that reveal themselves. Spicy aromas ride the alcohol fumes to your nose mostly black pepper with some cardamom and licorice root and some faint celery and carrot at the very end. A super aromatic stout that smells more like a good RIS than the American version.

Taste is quite thick and a little sweet but no where near what you would expect from the scent. Coffee liqueur and fruit dominate the flavor at first. The alcohol here is recognizable as you might expect from a beer about half as strong as straight vodka. Lots of fig and raisin flavor here with lesser tastes of almonds and licorice. Additional layers of flavor are port wine, rum and Kahlua. Throughout this whole beer there are many different layers of nut flavors but I just can't ID them all, pecans, almonds, macadamias and hickory nuts are all in this.

Mouthfeel is syrup, on the really thick side.

Tasty beer but probably a bit too much too fully taste it all in the flavor department. After 12% beer just seems to mask flavors no matter what the brewer does.

02-19-2006 05:18:37 | More by Zorro
supernaut

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

3 words: Big, Black, Beast

A - Extraordinarily deep and dark. Pours out a pure obsidian. The pour was intentionally more vigorous than normal to bring out as much head as possible, resulting in a great 2 finger initial response that diminished slowly, but was occasionally rejuvenated upon mild swirling. This beer has a reputation as big, and it looked the part. If Darth Vader drank beer, this would be his choice.

S - Licorice, chocolate, coffee, all dot the landscape here. The alcohol is evident, but as with a sister dogfish brew of equivalent ABV (raison d'extra) the alcohol is well masked in the nose

T - Amazing. The full spectrum of Stout usual suspects. The same coffee tones detected in the nose were there, as was a molasses sweetness, chocoloate, black licorice. The sweet characteristics at times border on a brandy-like effect. The maltiness of this guy is through the roof and mixes with a nice smoky tang provided by the alcohol.

M/D - Big beer quality here. Coats the tongue leaving a nice chewy consistency that lingers for a moment or two. Very enjoyable. If I could afford it (or more accurately, if I could lock my girlfriend in the closet at random to avoid hearing complaints about $9 bottles of beer), I would end every meal with one of these mofos. Simply amazing satiety factor

02-18-2006 00:35:15 | More by supernaut
dem

4.4/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wow.

I am a fan of Dogfish. Discovering them took me deeper into my true appreciation of quality craft brews. Shopping at Beers of the World one day, I noticed a case of Dogfish I'd never seen before. The whole box was just BLACK.

I looked up on the shelf, and saw World Wide Stout. I like stouts, so I put one in my basket. That's when I noticed it was over $9 a bottle. I put it back on the shelf saying out loud to myself "that's f'ing rediculous!"

I must have stood there a good five minutes wondering how a 12oz bottle of beer could cost nine bucks. In the end, the high price is actually what convinced me to buy it. I figured it must be limited edition. Limited Edition + Dogfish Head = Gotta Have It. I'd just hate to find it in a store that doesn't allow you to buy singles. Holy $54 six pack!

Poured out of the bottle into a heavy glass chalice BLACK BLACK BLACK! Love it. No head at all. At first I thought I poured it wrong...until I tasted it...

The aroma brought raisins and alcohol, but it wasn't as strong as I thought it would be.

The taste changed as I got deeper into it. First impression was "holy alcohol soaked raisins!" Then as I drank more, plums came out...and then wine characteristics. As it warmed, sweet malt took over with a nice crisp alcohol finish happening the entire time.

The mouthfeel seemed syrupy at first. By the end, it was perfectly chewy with a crisp alcohol finish keeping it sharp.

The first sip had me a little worried about how drinkable this one would be. I wasn't sure if I'd finish it. There is a bit of hump you have to get over. Once you're about 25% through, you realize why it's $9 a bottle. It's incredible. After the halfway point, you start thinking about how soon you can get another one and what special occasions would justify the cost. My wife liked it because it tasted like port....that'll help.

I have a few sips left. I'm going to go enjoy the taste, and the buzz.

02-17-2006 01:56:33 | More by dem
gbarron

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle.

A - dark, dark brown, almost black. A little light makes it through at the bottom of the glass, reddish brown. Opaque the rest of the way. Head a light tan, bubbly, thin layer. Leaves heavy brussels lace all the way down.

S - sweet malt, roasted barley. Dark fruit. Alcohol.

T - dark fruit, plums, raisins. Toasted, roasted, chocolatey barley. Tart hop bitterness at the end. Reminiscient of a dark, Belgian strong ale. Some grassy, floral hop notes in there as well. Surprisingly balanced. Alcohol very present but not overwhelming. Warming as it goes down.

M - medium to heavy bodied. Medium to low carbonation. A little sticky on the tongue.

D - amazingly drinkable for a beer of this size. But for the alcohol, I could definitely have more than one of these in a sitting. Amazing beer, as always, from Dogfish Head.

02-12-2006 00:33:18 | More by gbarron
BigDaddyWil

3.78/5  rDev -9.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a snifter.
I'm very curious to see how the 18% alcohol will hit me.
I like the fact that Dogfish Head isn't scared to push the boundries of craft brewing.

Appearance: Dark black in color. Looks like very thin motor oil. Paper thin head, and no lacing.

Smell: Crazy smell, besides the usual dark fruit aroma, this brew smells like alcoholic grape juice. No coffee or hints of chocolate usually common with stouts. This one is totally different.

Taste: Heavy roasted malt and barley. Lots of alcohol from start to finish, slight burn all the way down, but not uncomfortable.

Mouthfeel: Very slick, creamy and smooth, almost no carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy to drink for such an high abv. I'm half way through the bottle and have a decent buzz going.

Overall, a cool brew to try at least once!!! At $9 a bottle its expensive, but worth trying, if you love stouts. I will most definitely pick up another bottle!!!

02-10-2006 01:58:21 | More by BigDaddyWil
HopHeadKen

Iowa

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

WOW ! ! I LOVE STOUTS ! ! !

And beers like this are the reason!
This is not an easy beer to find in Northern Indiana, but I spied a couple while in Indianapolis recently and had to have it.

Pours thick and dark with a thin tan head,
Smell is vanilla, chololate, plums; sweet.

This beer traps light like a black hole, draws it in with overwhelming force.

Taste is suprizingly smooth for a high alcohol content, complex, malty, sweet. The alcohol finally announces its presence at the back of the tongue at the end of the taste.

Mouthfeel is rich, full and viscous.

Drinkability ? I put this in the same category with Dark Lord I will drink it sparingly because of price and availability. Bells Expedition is much easier to find at this location so I am not suffering. But these beers are different, so I will bide my time for another DFH WWS

02-06-2006 13:32:54 | More by HopHeadKen
JoeyHotrod

Missouri

4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Ok now this is a 'different' sort of beer.

I've long loved a good dark stout and having heard of this high octante monster, brewed by Dogfish Head, I knew a time would come that I would have to try it. That time has come.

Upon pouring there was a short lived head, that was gone in no time flat, would estimate around 10 to 15 seconds. Not unexpected given the insane alcohol content. To it's credit there was a nice lacing that lasted through the duration.

The smell is all over the spectrum, with alchohol being the predominant scent and overcoming the more subtle chocolate.... fruits.... as I said it really is all over the place and unlike any brew I've ever smelled in my life.

Taste.... wow can you say burn! This stuff is beyond warming and is more akin to a fireplace going ablaze in one's stomach. It doesn't take long at all for the alcohol to hit a person and if you weren't already familiar with the high content, you would be in a very quick period of time.

There's definitly a smoky influence as well and hops? What hops.. not getting even the teeny tiniest hint of the sacred green flower in this bad boy. In addition there's a dark fruit feel going on, as well as an almost bourbon quality. All in all look up complex in a dictionary and this beer would be as apt to make an apperance, as most any other.

This stuff is dangerously drinkable and for those of us who limit our alcohol consumption to strictly beer these days, a shock of sorts at first
Allow yourself the opportunity to embrace this shock and let it set in and I'm confident you will be in for a treat indeed.

Excuse me, I think I'm going to go take a nap now!

02-01-2006 03:24:54 | More by JoeyHotrod
MuddyFeet

3.48/5  rDev -16.9%

Thick, heavy and potent. poured a creamy near-black in color. Thick and slightly tan head. Eventually vanished to a couple of bubbles. Bit of spotty lace. Nose is toasted malts and barley. Flavor is a bit of too much of everything. Lots of malted barley and oats. Lots of chocolate. Bit too much of alcohol heat going on in the glass. Rises up the back of my nose with each swallow. Very creamy mouthfeel. Heavy. Interesting but a bit over-the-top.

01-29-2006 01:35:09 | More by MuddyFeet
geetlord

4.58/5  rDev +9.3%

This beer poured a thick opaque black with no head. It had a strong bitter slightly chocolaty aroma. The taste was of intense bittersweet chocolate, coffee and dark bread flavors, with a very strong alcohol taste . It was viscous and slightly syrupy. I found this beer to be delicious, but drinkable in only very small quantaties due to the alcohol content and the sheer intensity of the flavor.

01-24-2006 01:27:33 | More by geetlord
AlexJ

4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

2003 vintage, properly cellared.

Abyssal black pour with absolute zero transparency and a small, but tight brown head that stays as a thin veil. No lace but thick, syruppy legs that stain my goblet brown.

Aroma is sweet and chewy, with a plethora of dark, chocolate, and roasty malt notes and an abundance of sticky, ripe fruits. There are hints of coffee, bittersweet chocolate, anise, port wine, and molasses. Alcohol not rrally noticable in the nose.

Flavor damn near knocks my socks off with intensely rich dark malts flavors of chared grain, chocolate, molasses, and scorched sugars. There's plenty of ripe, dark fruit in here, mostly plum, black cherry, and raisin. It's very creamy and filled with notions of bittersweet chocolate and sweetened coffee. It's really more of a stout flavored liquor than any beer I've had before. Simply stunning!

Body is probably the biggest I've encountered in a stout. Thick, syruppy, chewy mouthfeel and a creamy, dense texture makes this a pleasure on the palate. A sipper for sure, but there's really no heat, the alcohol is well concealed. I shared this 12 oz bottle four ways and everyone was blown away. An absolute masterpeice!

01-23-2006 18:23:40 | More by AlexJ
veggiemafia

3.98/5  rDev -5%

Shared this with a friend and fellow beer advocate, and when he was buying it, the counter lady didn't realize it was a big difference, so they charged him the price of a Chicory Stout. So he saved 5 or so bucks on this one.

Pours really viscous and thick, and it clung to the sides of the glass whenever you took a sip. Thin mocha head, less than 120 Minute if I remember, which is surprising.

Smell is like espresso times 3 mixed with brandy or chocolate liquer. Really good but pretty intimidating.

Taste is great, a lot of the espresso thing, with some dark bitter chocolate and good hoppiness and a really warming alcohol presence that reminded me of that Godiva chocolate liquer. Also a really mega-sweet, really nice blackberry/fruity thing going on in the middle of the taste.

Mouthfeel is sticky and chewy and awesome.

I could stand to drink MAYBE 2 of these, but I'd be well on my way to f'd up at that point. More drinkable than any of the other super extreme DFH beers...like 120 minute.

01-23-2006 01:32:00 | More by veggiemafia
Jacobob10

4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

On-tap @ Firewaters in Hackensack, NJ.

After asking for a 90 Min IPA and being declined by the bartender because the keg was tapped he informed me, "We also have a brew from DFH called World Wide Stout." I decided it was time to buckle up and go for the ride. At $8 a pop for a snifter which I'm guessing had about 8 oz. in it, it's not cheap. But honestly, how many of these are you going to drink in a night?

The appearance was opaque black with a very small tan head. The head lingers for a short amount of time, but can be slightly revived by a swirl of the glass. The retention is decent considering the high alcohol content and subtle carbonation. Speaking of alcohol, it really gets masked fairly well in both the aroma and the taste. The aroma is roasty and slightly fruity like prunes with a little alcohol mixed in as well. The flavor truly is exceptional. Dark, roasted malts with some vanilla and deep fruit flavors like plums, prunes, and raisins. Very rich and complex. The texture was slightly oily. This monster brew was way too drinkable.

This beer was well worth the money, and I'd do it all again if I get the chance. Slightly expensive, but like I said before, you're not going to drink 6 of these in a sitting. I spoke to the manager and he said they only get 1/6 kegs of the WWS and that at the price they sell it for, they really don't make much money off of it at all. A must try!

01-17-2006 15:52:53 | More by Jacobob10
deBeers

4.25/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I dreamed of this beer in a place some might call 'heaven'.

Vintage 2003

Pours a midnight black thick, almost the viscosity of oil, yet more lively and robust. Small caramel colored head that was suprisingly ready to spring back to life with a swirl of the glass at moment's notice.

Smells of alcohol in the nose with tons of roasted barley and chocolate malts. A slight twinge of bitterness but the carbonation matches it so well that the only thing affecting the drinkability of this is the 18% abv!

Now all I need it a parter in crime to enjoy these with because drinking one mostly by myself is a recipe for gratification that may be a little too instant!

This was savored and easily drank over a period of about 45 minutes and was chilled out in the snow for 20 minutes or so. Slightly vinous, yet creamy and thick in mouthfeel. Very robust. I will rereview to do a proper review because this is off the top of my head without notes.

Find this out, drink now and laydown!

01-06-2006 16:06:28 | More by deBeers
OStrungT

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

I stopped by the Stuffed Sandwich the other day on my way back from Magic Mountain. I needed to pick up a bottle of this to go.

This beer pours an inky black with a thin brown head. The head fades fast, leaving sparce laces.

As I bring this glass up to my nose, I am assulted by an aroma of alcohol. I detect a slight whiskey aroma. Behind the alcohol, I smell a very sweet malty aroma. Also, I and detect, ever so faintly, plumbs.

First sip, I taste the alcohol strongly. It has a very malty taste, but the dominate flavor is alcohol. Second sip, the alcohol from the first sip has slightly numbed my mouth, helping my detect other flavors. I taste a little raison flavor. Also, some licorice. This beer is very sweet. Now, after a few more sips, the alcohol has made it way back as the dominate flavor.

This beer is very aggressive. It is quite full bodied. It has a thick syrupy mouthfeel. This beer leaves an aftertaste full of alcohol. The carbonation is just right.

This beer would make an awfull session beer. It is so aggressive that even 12 oz might be a bit much. Also, the alcohol content is through the roof, so enjoying multiple bottles woule be difficult. This is a great beer though. I as very happy to have had the chance to try it.

01-02-2006 23:03:02 | More by OStrungT
Iguana

Oregon

Well finally decided to give this brew a try.

Appearence - Looks beautiful in my pint glass, dark black with a small half-inch brownish head. Really looks great.

Smell - Smells of dark fruit, dark chocolate, and alcohol, quite nice.

Taste - Taste is of raisin and alcohol, alcohol lets its presence known big time.

Mouthfeel - This one is rather interesting, it has the taste that would suggest a thick syrupy stout, but this one is somewhere between smooth and creamy and thick and syrupy, kinda different.

Drinkability - I wouldnt want to drink more then 1 of these in a sitting solely because its alcohol content is ridiculously huge. If it had a lower alcohol content i could see myself downing a few in a session though.

01-01-2006 07:43:53 | More by Iguana
Nutleybeer

4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

For a whopping $8 a serving on tap, this beer better be good. I had high hopes and was not disappointed. Big time alcohol content on this one. The nice, smooth flavor can make its' potency quite deceiving.

Served in a brandy snifter. Too much of this fine drink will send you reeling if you are not careful.

The beer had a small, foamy head...it poured thick. A dark brownich/black color. The taste was fine, though. As mentioned, quite smooth and rich and it went down easier than expected. For the extreme ACV, it held quite a bit of flavor on the tongue.

I have seen single bottles in the store run for $8-9...enjoy it, but the price makes it pricey to enjoy too often.

12-31-2005 20:17:08 | More by Nutleybeer
Brodirt

4.03/5  rDev -3.8%

Dark, damp and strong smelling on first impression....like someplace you should stay out of! Poured to no head, but built quickly in the glass to a nice 3/4" inch head....thin in texture it disipated quickly. It almost looked like Guiness in the glass. But the taste...first impressions were sweetness and alcohol. Mouthfeel was overwhelmingly heavy and thick, but not syrupy. The malt dominated but there was definetly some musky fruit flavors happening too...a bit of molasses at the end. The only complaint is the presence of the alcholic burn and that volume of alcohol makes this a 1 and done beer.

12-28-2005 18:05:10 | More by Brodirt
Lnedrive14

2004 Bottle. Expensive as hell.

A: Dark black. Actually a bit of head, which i was surprised about. It actually looks like beer!!!

N: Eh, some dark chocolate, espresso, yada yada. Smells like a stout.

T: Fairly sweet. Dried fruits are prevalent. The alcohol wasnt masked as well as it was in the 120 minute, IMO. After about half the bottle I was getting a bit overwhelmed on each taste. Definitely a powerful, potent brew.

M: Lots of carbonation, which I liked. Wasn't too syrupy as I expected.

D: Eh. Half a glass was more than enough for me. I think this would be a good one to have like 4oz. of. Anything more is superfluous.

12-27-2005 18:09:36 | More by Lnedrive14
NEhophead

4.05/5  rDev -3.3%

Thick, syrupy black onyx in color with just a touch of a fizzy light brown head that dissipates almost on contact leaving trails of a thin sheet and minor lacing.

Deep oak-tinged, roasted chocolate. Touches of semi-sweet vanilla and even toffee. Alcohol aromatics contribute a lot to the sweetness and richness.

Thick and chewy roasted malt character; bold dark chocolate flavors with waves of a vanilla sweetness. A smokey quality that weaves in and out in between the very present and complicated bourbon infused alcohol character.

Full bodied; syrupy, rich, yet not unbearable in terms of thickness. Almost vaporous due to the high abv. A good balance between high abv% and the chewy malt profile.

I ended up splitting this one, but it isn't unreasonable to have one to yourself. Anything beyond that in one sitting could be trouble.

12-27-2005 00:13:03 | More by NEhophead
whartontallboy

2003 edition, consumed December 2005.

Pours out jet black, almost like motor oil, with a thin head of tightly-packed dark brown bubbles. Head is small but lasts pretty well, particularly for a two-year-old brew.

Smell is huge: coffee, roasted/burnt barley and grains, a little bit of chocolate, a big whiff of alcohol, and some plums and figs.

Taste is quite malty, very roasted and burnt, with a lot of sugary sweetness in there as well, and some figs and plums coming through more clearly, almost like they've been candied. The alcohol is still there and gives it a little hotness, but it's not distracting or boozy by any stretch; for the ABV it's masked extremely well. Little hints of vanilla and honey sneak into the flavor as well.

Overall: A huge flavor, but fun to sip and enjoy, and an interesting stout, if not for the price.

12-26-2005 16:28:05 | More by whartontallboy