World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

12-oz. bottle poured in small amounts into a port glass.

A = Dark, dark mahogany, almost black. Very small tan head, quickly dissipated.

S = Smell of molasses, sweet grapes. Very reminiscent of some old sweet sherries.

D = Taste is much like the smell. Sweet tastes of raisins, molasses. Good, long finish. Only drawback is that I think the alcohol is a little too upfront in the taste.

M = Medium body, light carbonation. Alcohol is maybe a little to present.

D = This would make an excellent dessert drink with a dinner. I would definitely recommend it. I wish it came in a reclosable bottle.

To celebrate repeal day - Decanted this brown 12oz bottle cool into my Corsendonk Christmas Glass.
A - Black w/ a medium brown head that has an ultra-fine bead. The head measures approx. 1/2 inch w/ minimal lace.

S - A peculier funky odor w/ a very high amount of alcoholic fusel esters. Sugary brown toasted aroma w/ an almost tapioca like creamy rum soaked scent.

M - Fiery w/ warming from the get-go. A viscous dense chewiness accompanies the syrupy thick feel that has amazing amount of carbonation for the gravity of the brew. Gentle roaste and brandy-like vinous notes w/ husky tannic grain aspects.

T- Very intense malt flavor w/ a rum and cognace tinge that is followed by a biscuity graham cracker flavor. Notes of plum and currant w/ port-like boozy flavors. An alcohol bomb w/ intense sugary malt coating the palate w/ light solvent-like flavor.

D - A very big beer. Too dense, boozy and intense to be considered more than average for drinkability for me. It is great for what it is, but not one to drink quickly a real sipper. it has harsh moments and it lets you know who is boss. I would probably only drink one a year if that.

3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

From a 12 oz. bottle stamped on neck “bottled in 2007.” At first, it doesn’t look like there’s much carbonation, but a two-finger solid medium brown head magically ascends from the pitch brown, opaque body. Slow fade with a some sticky lace. Nose is very sweet and alcoholic. Sweet coffee-milk-chocolate-malt and dark fruit. In the mouth, it’s like a sweet malt bomb tempered with full-on alcohol. Hot going down and warm in the gut. Once the initial shock wears off, notes of coffee, milk chocolate and raisins emerge. Still, it finishes hot, not warm. Mouth is richly viscous, coating the tongue and going down smooth. There’s little carbonation on the tongue. Drinkability is good if you aim to drink just one. Price, complexity, and pure ABV preclude drinking more than one of these.

Overall: An intensely rich, brutally alcoholic brew in the DFH extreme style. I’m glad I tried it, but I just don’t see me trying it again unless offered. I prefer my double stouts in the slightly more muted and drinkable style of Left Hand’s offering.

4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

'07 vintage:

This beer took some patience to appreciate. It took over two hours of decanting to reach it's peak.

The color is close to black with shades of deep mahogany. It has a light brown head. The colors and textures are nice, but there is poor head retention. Then again, what can you expect from a 20% stout.

The nose is very sweet with roasted and burnt malts. It is very earthy with aromas of ripe pitted fruits, molasses and vanilla. There are alot of nice things going on here, but the dominating alcohol character takes away from the experience.

This is a huge beer. Like the aroma, the taste is strong of complex alcohols. The flavor is very sweet and composed of various dark fruits, raw cocao, carmelized sugars and powerful malts.

Good full body and little carbonation. This low activity created a wine-like consistencey.

For what it is, WWS is a very drinkable beer. Quite complex and will continue to improve over the next ten years at least. I can drink a beer in ample time, and this 12oz bottle took me over three hours to consume. It resembles a port more than a beer and should be drinken accordingly. I suggest sharing it between at least two people and with fine red meat.

'04 Vintage(4.7):

At four years old, this beer has really come together. I would love to see what a few more does to it.

The appearance is near identical to the '07. However, the alcohol bite has been nearly dismissed from the nose and taste. Mouthfeel is similar to a fresh bottle. Way too drinkable for its strength.

4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Bottled 10/10/06 and tasted just over a year later

Appearance: It takes a hard pour to create a head on this espresso colored beer, and there is only a bit of lacing before the head disappears entirely

Smell: Boozy chocolate and coffee, rum-soaked prune and molasses

Taste: Opens with a depth charge of molasses that builds with chocolate, prune and fruity/coffee flavor (Ethiopian Yergecheffe); after the swallow, the chocolate flavor jumps to the fore and lasts forever

Mouthfeel: Thick and syrupy, with very low carbonation

Drinkability: Don't dare drink more than one, but it is a fine sipper

After being thoroughly impressed with the 120 Minute IPA and Raison d'Extra, I thought I would give DFH's other 18%+ beer a whirl. First of all, my entire kitchen smelled almost as if I had baked a fruit cake. But that was where I stopped being as thrilled with this one. The taste is very rum-like and it lacks the complexity of the others. Falls short of the roasted flavors I usually expect from a stout. Given the chance to do it over I would have just gotten two bottles of the 120.

4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Vintage 10/29/2005 opened 11/24/2007

Black pour. Mud brown head slowly dies down to a nice foam/lace. No light around the edges.
The aroma is still strong with alcohol. Not an offensive smell at all. More of a rich mahogany alcohol smell. Strangely comforting. Burnt sugar is there, dark dried fruits and prunes. The beer is thick, oily and sticky. Unlike a fresh WWS, I wasn't assaulted by the alcohol taste. I hardly noticed it and had to think about it. The flavors are coming together very nice as this one matures.

At about 17.8%, one is enough.
This is one for relaxing and sharing.

4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

From notes

12 oz into Barilla spaghetti sauce jar

A: Pours a near-black brown with good clarity. One finger tan head with perfect lacing its more like sheeting with this beer. Looks near perfect.

S: Deep, smoky rum and molasses. Raisins and a pretty big alcohol odor.

T: Big, dark smoky rum flavor. Hints of burnt caramel and raisins. Ends with a dry dark chocolate and coffee flavor. Leaves a very nice smoky aftertaste.

M: Nice body on her.

D: Rather strong but a couple of these taken slow is superb drinkability!

Once the beer warms in your glass all the lacing disappears and this brew resembles a dessert wine! Love this beer! Bravo for Dogfish head!

4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

This is certainly an exceptional beer. After purchasing one 12oz bottle for $10 at the store, I couldn't pass up the bargain price of $7 for a 10oz draft. Deep brown, carbonated beer was served in a snifter glass that retained a sizable cream colored head.

This beer was potently aromatic with espresso and caramel scents and a lively alcoholic overtone.

The depth of flavor on this beer really sets it apart from your typical beer. Like a good wine, the flavors begin as the beer hits your tongue but continue to develop and evolve long after you've swallowed. Swirling flavors of espresso, caramel, burnt sugar, and cocoa with perhaps a hint of black licorice. Carbonation carries the flavors well.

I found this beer to be a "soft" 18%, but I still wouldn't attempt more than one per session. I say soft b/c it didn't knock me on my behonkus the way the 120 minute did, but maybe that was b/c this one was my dessert whereas I had the 120 minute while out drinking the night away. A true treat this beer is, and I can't wait to try my bottle for comparison.

3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottled 10/29/05, consumed in November 07. Just over 2 years old.

A- Pours the deepest of deep blacks, with a two finger brown head. Amazing head, retention and lacing considering the ABV, and even leaves a small cap of foam on top of the glass. Some serious protein in here!

S- Sweet syrupy malts, caramel, raw turbinado sugar, and loads of alcohol. Brandy soaked raisins, over ripe figs, and other fruit aromas all come through as well.

F- Fantastic. Incredible layers of flavor and complexity. Up front, truckloads of dark fruit, marinated in rum come through. Plum, fig, raisin, and oddly a touch of strawberry. This is quickly followed by the roasty goodness of the malts. Chocolate and cherry cordials. Not much in the way of hops, but the finish is a strong alcohol burn. Like I said, fantastic flavor, but a LOT of the good stuff is masked by a predominate alcohol burn.

M- Incredibly thick, heavy, and syrupy. Almost the consistency of warm honey.

D- decent at best.

A phenomenal beer overall, and well worth seeking out. Any fan of imperial stouts will love this beer. That being said, I've had many a WWS, and hoped that 2 years would help tame this beast. Unfortunately, I was wrong. This could use a lot more time in the cellar. I'm only 24, but I wouldn't be surprised if I drank this years vintage on my death bed, and thought "this still needs more time". If it weren't for the very prevalent alcohol, my scores would have been higher. It is still very enjoyable in every way though....

4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured black with a surprising bit of head that settled to a thin bubbly ring. Those who have no head may have an old botttle. The smell is deep and rich with lots of sweet malt, and flavors of blackstrap molasses, licorice, a touch of bitter gentian, a meatinesss that tastes a little bit like bacon with syrup, and a hint of cocoa. Quite complex. The taste is huge and sweet, but with amazingly balanced flavors considered how big this is and the abv. Surprisingly smooth and even better, surprisingly carbonated as well. How is it that dfh is consistently able to keep carbonation going in their biggest beers when many others are not able to pull this offf. I much prefer this over any still beer. Tastes echo those found in the nose, with long, long, long flavors. Rich and malty, but a late hit of bitter citrusy hops, and a bit of prickliness at base as well. Delicious and powerful. The mouthfeel is rich, sweet, big, and smooth. A very interesting beer and an amazing after dinner sipper out of a snifter, but absolutely huge as well. My bottle was probably a couple of years old and still very much alive and well.

3.5/5  rDev -16.7%

A: I understand big beers don't have much of a head, but this seemed like pouring flat cola, there was nothing, not even on a beer swirl. Others have noted a bit of lacing, i didn't receive such luck. either way the almost inky black color was interesting
S: Way too alcoholic and port wine like. it was a bit overpowering with less pleasant or subtle aromas. it makes it hard to pick up on the more subtle soft aromas that would step this category up a notch.
T: somewhat like the aroma, very overpowering with a few things the alcohol isnt too strong, but i keep feeling like this is more wine like that any stout im used to. I expected something different, this fits that bill, but i feel like its too different and loses something in the translation. Big beer, yes, great beer, no. I have had the 120 ipa. and i think the translation to big beer status was more successful.

4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

Opened bottle dated 2007, poured down side snifter glass. Nice dark color. Last few drops quite syrupy. Opaque, the way a stout should be. Small 1/4" head with minimal lacing. Head was gone in less than 2 minutes. Light brown lace on glass. Bubbles are not present visually, but I can feel the faint carbonation in mouth.

Faint chocolate notes on aroma. Very nice taste. Not too bitter; Just right on the palate. Finishes good with very little aftertaste. Really nice mouthfeel; Not sure what I expected but this is not what it was. I get a slight hint of dried dark fruit, although taste is sweeter than expected.

I rate drinkability a 4.5 because this is not the type of beer that you are going to have more than one in a sitting. I'm now craving a steak or roast that I think would lend itself nice to body of this brew.

I may go get another one of these and let it sit a while; I'd love to see how this matures as I know it will; Excellent job Dogfish Head.

4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Its been built up in my mind, but hands down, one of the most delicious big beers Ive ever tasted.

Drank first as a "sample" on tap after the Milton brewery tour and enjoyed a few more at the Rehoboth brewpub as well as a part of heaven and hell drink with the 120 minute. Just outstanding.

A: Poured pitch black with a bit of a lighter mocha colored head. The head is not typical sized of a stout but sat nicely and dried out a bit but the lightness was a contrast to the brew itself. Lacing was present and the thin film of head was actually quite dense.

S: Espresso smells that are matched with the wine/fruit aroma that hit you right in the face. Would agree that rum is also present and the balance with the coffee flavor was great and enticing.

T: Like a smack in the face, have to admit the sweet sugary taste at first scared me a bit. Just didnt fit expectations but was eventually blown away by the depth of this beer- unreal.
The chocolate and rum flavors were so perfectly balanced with the espresso and mocha flavorings. The fruit was bizarrely not overbearing but actually a perfect compliment to the drink. The hard alcohol bite does catch the back of the throat and back through the nose but in such a good way because it is so beatifully balanced with the sweetness. Not cloying or moddled at all, not sure how that was pulled off.

M: Sweet to the tongue and leaves a nice warming winter burn in the back of the mouth as it soothes its way down. The carbonation was minimal.

D: Perfect to top off a night- no better selection on the market now. For pure fear, only 2 of these at a time but man can I enjoy sipping slowly on one of these on a cold day with any dessert in the land.

I disagree with the low grades by some but that is why we each have our own palate. As far as I go, this is immediately on the top of my list of "if I can only have one beer to sip away tonight".

Truly a unique beer that is beyond description. Absolute pleasure to drink. Happy to say a bought a case for the road- finally a big beer that lived to its hype.

4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Syrupy black goodness, this is exactly what I want in a stout. Tons of dark fruit on the nose - figs, apricots, and fusel alcohols let you know what you're in for. The taste is sweet, with the same dark fruits and esters, a little bit of coffee and chocolate, but really just sweet and slightly boozy. There's not much hop bitterness to ruin the heavy malty stout experience here - which leads me to believe that this beer could stand up to some aging, but wouldn't improve a whole lot if at all. Doesn't matter, it's perfect as is.

I had to rate the drinkability low - one beer will just about knock you out and have you asking for the license plate of the truck that hit you. I couldn't imagine having more than one in a night. Doesn't matter, I just finished this $9 bottle, and I'm satisfied. Well worth the price of admission.

4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Sampled this beer at Track 84, although by 9pm they were half-way through the keg. I truly love this beer. Served in an over-sized wine glass. Strong scent of coffee and brown sugar. Beautiful presentation with a thick foamy head. Warm and thick mouthfeel with flavors of coffee (although not bitter), brown sugar and malt. Very powerful brew, so while highly drinkable in my opinion, one needs to exercise self-restraint. Highest recommendations. Definitely in my top 15.

3.55/5  rDev -15.5%

Finally, one of Dogfish's "super beers" that I've been putting off tasting because of the price. I saw one in a Farm Fresh of all places and plopped down the scratch. I have no idea how old this one is, as I got it at a point in time that was nowhere near a release date. I figure, at 18%, that shouldn't matter much.

A- Very dark (no surprise) with very little head (again, no surprise); however, there is a fairly decent coffee-colored lace ring that lingers near the top of the snifter for quite some time. That's at least somewhat impressive for a beer of this strength.

S- Much alcohol. The first whiffs almost smell like someone put vodka in it (hmm... a fortified beer... now that's an idea!). Along with the alcohol are the esters which give an impression of raisins. The malt is also quite present with sweet coffee and chocolate notes. But that alcohol... damn.

T- Very sweet. This is almost like drinking Kahlua or something. Dark fruit and sweet coffee mingle together to create an interesting flavor. I was pleased to find that the roasted malts were more than present, and contributed quite a bit to the flavor (which I've found is not always the case in high-alcohol stouts). The alcohol is again quite prominent, although not as much as the smell might have indicated. It gives more of a spicy kick than anything. A slight twinge of bitterness follows on the finish (probably from the alcohol rather than hops). The aftertaste is of coffee liqueur.

M- Thick and syrupy, although also quite fizzy. It goes down smoothly despite the alcohol, which contributes virtually no burn.

D- Ha, well... it took me a while to finish the bottle, but I did finish it. This would probably be better split between two people. Calling this a sipping beer would be an understatement.

Needless to say, this was an interesting experience. I certainly enjoyed it, although as to whether or not I'd get it again... not so sure. This is one of those beers that you have to try for the experience, simply because it is so unique. If you're a fan of big stouts, it's definitely a must-try. Otherwise... yeah, go ahead and try it.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

2006 Version

It seems as of late most of my beers come thru trade with one of three guys, BeerTruth, Younger35, or my original BA bud Sudsdog. This one came from Sudsdog in a little BIF (the guy sent me two huge boxes UPS) that included tons of high ABV gems.

A: Pours a nice dark black color, the darkest espresso has nothing on this one. The head is actually pretty mild. Is does rise to just over a finger before dying down to a simple collar around the edge of the glass. There is minimal lacing.

S: Nice sweet cocoa aroma. There is licorice, rum soaked raisins, and vanilla in the background. A hint of espresso is also noted. This is one I have been hanging on to, I can't wait to taste.

T: Wow this bugger is sweet. Tons of rock candy right up front. As the sweetness fades the chocolate comes thru. Nice semi sweet chocolate mingled with fine Cuban espresso. Tons of rich dark fruits, and a hint of black licorice come thru in the end. I am amazed that there is no alcohol to be found.

M: The beer is medium bodied, yet very flat in the glass and on the tongue.

D: I like my beers sweet, this one is on the edge of cloying for a stout, but it's a real dessert like treat.

Overall: I am surprised by the recent reviews on this one and the low marks. I think DFH has created a stout like no other, which I have the feeling is what they set out to do. The flavor is so nice with waves of taste. The sweetness may put some people off but I really enjoyed it. It makes this beer stand out, and helps it to boost the ABV to unknown limits when it comes to a stout.

Thanks Ted, you're a badass BA, and a true friend!

2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a decent initial head that fades very fast. A tiny bit sticks around for a little white. The color is thickly black.

The smell is strong of mint. There is also some black licorice in the back. There is some sugary sweetness and grape as well. This overpowers the chocolate malting going on. Slight hop aroma in the back, easy to overlook.

The taste is of chocolate malts and black licorice with some mint and toffee. Taste is overly sweet as this beer is obviously loaded with candy sugar. Sort of like a novelty beer, HEY IT'S 18 PERCENT ALCOHOL WOO! Yeah, but does that make it a good beer, no? This beer just had a fuckload of candy sugar. Anyone can do that. Behind the sweetness lies some chocolate malts and faint hops. I want more hops in this beer and some roasted malts. Chocolate malts and sugar? I'm not impressed. There are some fruity notes like grape. The mint and black licorice is also there, but no roasted malt and way too much sugar.

I feel sugar on my palate. The sweetness is slightly cloying.

I respect dogfish head for their creativity and their ipas. But I didn't like midas touch that much, it was alright, but eh. The raison d-etre isn't that impressive. I think the only beers I've had from them that live up to their reputation are the 60 and 90 minute IPA. I almost forgot that I do really enjoy the punkin ale as well. I'm kind of disappointed. I think my love of the ipas has given them a free pass, but really I think dogfish head releases a few novelty beers that are really subpar.

I don't think I need to say anything about the drinkability, you can figure it out from my review.

2.65/5  rDev -36.9%

One word can sum this beer up, in my mind: Overpriced.

This beer was $9.99 for a single 12oz bottle, and I looked around a number of places to find that everywhere had it priced it similarly.

It's an overly sweet stout with too much alcohol taste too it. It's quite smooth if you can get over the sweetness and alcoholic bite, and doesn't go down like a lump in the stomach.

However, for ~$10 a bottle, this beer is better left tasted once and written off as a regrettable purchase.

4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

i had the pleasure of trying this one the very first time it was released to the general public. I wasn't such a beer geek then, but I hear there was some wicked scandal involved... Anyways, it really blew my mind then, and the only difference to me this time around is that my palate has matured and it seemed a hell of a lot smoother. I also can appreciate the looks and smell a lot more. Opaque. Dark as a starless night, with a coffee with cream colored head that doesn't stick around too long, but leaves some pretty lace in its wake. Nose is roasty, with hints of chocolate, coffee (I think thats just the roast), and dark fruit. Also some sweetness like rummy caramelly sugar. Taste reveals the same and more. Full body. Silky, creamy. The booze is there, but hardly noticable that it is above 18%. Good show dfh!!

2.83/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Well, I really enjoyed the 120 minute, but this monster was just a little too untamed for me. Pours basically pitch black, thin tan head rises up and is gone quickly. Low carbonation, looks flat and still. Smell is very sweet. Dark fruits and chocolate. A slight roasty scent but not so much. Taste is overly sweet. Smokey flavors come through and an oak and vanilla as well. Not much for balance and pretty damn hot. Mouthfeel is rich and full, the only thing that holds it back is the burn. I'm glad I had somebody to split this with because I wouldn't have finished the bottle myself. It's not bad but it's not that great, either. I probably should have held on to this for another year or so, though it already had about a year on it.

Thanks goes to Phil for the opportunity...

3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

A very fine imperial stout. Extremely smooth, with flavor that was more mild-mannered than I would have expected from Dogfish Head. Inferior and far more expensive than Alesmith Speedway Stout and Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, but a very fine beer nonetheless.

It poured a rather viscous black with no head into my glass. Aroma was powerful and a bit off-putting - bourbon was present along with some soy sauce aroma, smokey-ness, and a lot of out-of-place (in my opinion) sourness. Flavor was much more mild than I expected, both from a Dogfish Head product and from an Imperial Stout, but was decent and extremely smooth. There was no biting astringency that I frequently get from Imperial Stouts, and this beer hides its potent ABV quite well (caveat emptor on that one my friends). Definitely recommended, but I would challenge that this beer is really best in class.

4.28/5  rDev +1.9%

2005 Edition, cellar stored since Fall of 2006.

Ok, so I really had not ever tried this one before and I had a this bottle sitting in the closet for a while and really wanted to give this a shot. I put it in the fridge about a week ago, and last night just grabbed it for no other reason then I felt I wanted it. Poured a very deep dark black with a minimal say one inch of thick brown head that faded rather quickly leaving behind just a touch of film across the top and a nice amount of side glass lace. Absolutely opaque, no light was coming though on this one. Smell was very full and rich, and very sweet. A ton of chocolate could be picked up at first, but this mellowed and mixed with some oak and caramel aromas. Deep sense of roasted malts comes over you, no taste of the ABV. A full on malt explosion takes hold on the first sip. Deep roasted flavors, mixed in with chocolate and a robust full earthy feel. This was really complex and very smooth. Had the thick consistency of a shake like dessert, but without the carbonation. Lots of wood and oak like flavors came though out. I was shocked by how mellow this was. It really offered me no idea of how strong it was and I was able to sip through the bottle with ease. I don’t know if it was the aging or if it really is just that good, but this was excellent. Very rich and smooth and really took me by surprise. I was expecting something a bit harsher, but this was very drinkable and really very nice. I think I have another bottle floating around and if I do I will save it for a very cold night. This was a perfect nighttime sipper, probably one of the best I have had for hat role in a very long time. Definitely have to recommend this one and seek one out again.

4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

I drove 20 minutes over into Hudson, Wisconsin to get this beer and it was well worth it. They carried it at both Chicones and Casanova. Smooth and syrupy with a hint of molasses and dark fruit. You will also notice the alcohol but it blends well. This beer packs a real punch so be careful.

World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery