World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Poured from bottle to my Dogfish Head snifter. Pours very thick and dark brown. Smell is a boozy, roasted imperial stout. With the high alcohol content it does have quite a bit of a liquor flavor going on. Surprisingly with the high ABV this thing is dangerously a real easy drinker. I’ve got several more that I’m putting down for some time. It’ll be interesting to see what some age does to these. Keep up the good work Sam.

FtownThrowDown, May 04, 2007
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%

Bottled 10-29-05. Very black in appearance though not viscous looking. Thin brown head that quickly leaves a ring. Tangy nose of raspberry fruit, chocolate and alcohol fume.

The taste has an intense tangy sweetness, raspberry-like, with some nice milk chocolate in the mix. The alcohol remains well subdued, providing only a little heat toward the finish. The mouthfeel is only slightly thick on the palate, with light/thin carbonation.

Not bad overall and more drinkable than expected. I think I would let this thing mellow a couple more years.

bennetj17, May 04, 2007
4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Pours a dense opaque black with a 1/2" head that dissipates to a small cap, then foam at edges.

Roasted malt predominant with fig and/or raisin to the nose.

Taste is spectacular, roasted malt with some fruit notes. Alcohol very well hidden considering how high the ABV is.

Marvelous mouthfeel, so smooth, full bodied and mouth coating.

Drinkability is high despite the ABV. Just a wonderful experience to finally get my hands on a couple of these.

techdiver, May 03, 2007

Bottled 10/10/06
Pours a deep, opaque black color with a creamy nut toned head which almost immediately settles to a ring around the periphery of the glass.

Nice aroma of toasty-roasty grains, alcohol, and faint chocolate. A wonderful bouquet only detracted by the alcohol aroma. Extremely lush, creamy presence on the palate. Full body with modest carbonation level. Taste is multi-faceted bringing on everything from light fruit notes (fig/raisin/prune etc.), chocolate, coffee - all with a ghostly alcohol singe that is evident, but not intrusive. Truly a fabulous creation. I don't regret paying $9 for the 12oz bottle. Drinkability is excellent especially considering the abv. I wonder what an aged version would taste like... An excellent brew that I will seek out in the future. Cheers.

sinistermadman, May 03, 2007
4.4/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Pours as black as coal with a slight tan head that fades quickly. A minimum of lacing is left behind.

Aroma is thick with espresso and dark chocolate, dark fruits like raisins and prunes and the slight burn of alcohol and bitter hops. the taste is similar, the strong espresso up front, followed by the dark fruits and finally the alcohol and bitter hop burn in the finish. Wow. You know this is strong but would probably not guess in the 18% range.

Not too thick in the mouth, and the alcohol leaves you dry at the end. This is a sipper that I plan on nursing for the next two periods of the hockey game!

ZimZamZoom, Apr 29, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to geexploitation I got to try this beer I hear so much about.
Appearance: black, thick, viscous
smell: A lot going on here. A lot of roasted malt, some vanilla and chocolate hints, and a lot more malt
Taste: Amazing malt taste. Despite the loads of alcohol, the burn wasn't too bad, actually rather enjoyable
mouthfeel: smooth. the massive grain bill for this adds something very distinct and original to the mouthfeel
Drinkability: since this was such a rare treat I shared when I was home for Easter with my brother, mom, dad, sister, and 3 of my closest friends. Everyone got a taste and agreed it was an exceptional beer.

bradford, Apr 28, 2007
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

Don't know why I pulled this one out of the "cellar" tonight...but I did.

Pours kind of thin looking actually. Body is almost pitch black, some light shows through at the edges. Small tan head showed up and retreated back to a thinish layer. I'm surprised it held any head at all with this ABV.

There is a bit of alcohol showing through in the nose, but not too bad. Dark toasted malts, a bit of chocolate brownie. Some vinous aspects as well. I don't find the nose overly complex.

Dark roasted malt flavors again, but they only share a role with some vinous fruits again probably from the alcohol which isn't overly evident initially. Finish has a touch of dark chocolate and some brownie again. Then after the next swallow before the next sip the alcohol rears its head. Surprisingly it only offers a little burn and isn't over bearing.

Mouthfeel is kinda medium. Low carbonation. Coats the mouthwell but washes away pretty cleanly and leaves a little hint of flavor.

Decent drinkability, especially considering this beer's size. Not something I'd have all the time, but this one isn't so huge that I wouldn't revisit it. Definately worth a shot.

blitz134, Apr 28, 2007
4.45/5  rDev +6%

Dark... Opaque

1/4" tan head... poured into DFH snifter... Thanks Aprilluvsbeer!

Awesome swirl... Beer looks great...

Caramel notes on the nose.. malty... raisiny... smoky...

Silky mouthfeel... leaves a pleasant, pleasing creaminess on the palate... nice alcohol burn... excellent.

Lovely roasted malt character with tons of dark figgy fruitiness... chocolatey... bourbon... caramel.

Quite good... quite very good.

Fugazme, Apr 27, 2007
1.73/5  rDev -58.8%

Bottled 10/10/06 - Aged six months until I couldn't take its presence in my closet any longer.

A - Black ichor with a monsterous head that lingers down to an extremely dense frothy brown cappachino foam with a decent ring of lacing left on the sides.

S - Malty. Molasses, black patent malt, chocolate and a lot of alcohol.

T - Boozy. A bit of sickenly sweet smoky chocolate that is accompanied by a medicinal/fusel alcohol. The aftertaste is medicinal alcohol and burnt sugar. Rather cloying - in fact, the only reason it is not oppressively cloying is because the searing effect from the fusel alcohol fumes.

M - Thick, smooth, drying from alcohol, a tad gummy in the mouth as well - let's not forget the "hard liquor"-esque alcohol burn on the finish.

D - This is 18% - there is no way this could be considered as a drinkable beer. I am already a bit drunk and I have half the bottle to go. It isn't pleasant really. It also isn't an enjoyable experience. I had this once before and thought it was pretty awful. I gave this sometime to cool its head but to no effect. The only way I will try this again is if offered, and even then, only then if the bottle has been sitting for a couple years (perhaps decades) - although frankly, I don't see how age could help this brew. Definitely not worth the money.

mrasskicktastic, Apr 22, 2007
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Julio's Liquors, Westboro, MA

Poured a super thick, pitch black with no head but rather a thin, bubbly film of coffee-colored lace.

The aroma was rich, sweet and intense from the moment the bottle was opened. Dark chocolate was instantly recognizable along with strong coffee, a powerful oakiness and a port wine-like alcohol punch. Juicy stone fruits, including cherries and plums, were also noticeable.

The taste was dark and potent from start to finish. Super malty rich up front (deep roasted malts) with a big alcohol kick following. The alcohol, as strong as it was, was surprisingly smooth and sweet and did not become overwhelming until the end of the drink. Bakers chocolate and deep roasted coffee flavors were then noticeable along with dark, dried fruits including raisins, currants and prunes. An oaky, smoky, woody, bourbon-like quality then proceeded to coat my tongue and last into the somewhat sweet yet relatively short-lived finish. The alcohol warming in the back of the mouth and the throat was pleasant and not as hot as I had anticipated. As the beer warmed, some hoppiness emerged on the palate and more in the finish, but this remained minimal.

Mouthfeel was super thick, chewy and quite creamy with only a tiny amount of carbonation.

At 18% ABV, I found this beer to be surprisingly drinkable.

At $9 a bottle, I would consider this to be a rare and unique indulgence that all beer connoisseurs should try at least once.

Damian, Apr 19, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Purchased at the Union Sq Whole Foods. $7.99 I let it sit out for about a half hour to warm up. Bottled on 10/10/06. I probably could've let this one sit but....it is scaring me a little bit.

A-Pours a jet black with a very small head. The head dissiptaes within a minute leaving a few murky puddles of bubbles

S-Caramel coated cherries and plums. The alcohol also permeates the nose when you inhale. Hell it is three feet from me and i can smell it. So many odours, this is lovely.

T-Sweet and port like. The taste lingers on the tongue, raisins, cherries, chicory and chocolate. Slightly different than the smell. This somehow reminds me of a Dr Browns Black Cherry Soda mixed with a tawny Port and an Imperial stout. Christ there is alot going on here. I know the alcohol is in here but it doesnt overwhelm.

M-Very little carbonation, syrupy and sweet.

D-What a wonderful dessert beverage. This is more akin to an Amaretto or a Port. Very sweet but not harsh like so many other beers wih less alcohol. This also goes really well with a little Bleu Cheese as my after NY Rangers Playoff win treat. My only complaint is that I wish it either came in smaller bottles or had a resealable cork like port does.

sleazo, Apr 18, 2007
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%

Details- 12oz bottle. I believe this was a fall 2006 vintage, but there is no indication on the bottle to tell. Enjoyed 4-14-07.

Appearance- Pours nearly pitch black with some brown hues evident while pouring. Thick and syrupy. About a 1 finger head that's medium brown in color. Good lacing for the relatively small head.

Smell- Extraordinarily rich and complex malt. Chocolate fudge, raisins, a bit of near-boozy alcohol, roasted malt with a bit of smoke. Hops are there, but well-hidden.

Taste- Chocolate fudge and near-boozy alcohol. Roasted malt covers some over-ripened darker fruits (cherry). Very strong alcohol. Some vanilla-like characterist- ics.

Mouthfeel- Huge full flavor. Very chewy. Like eating chocolate cake. The definition of full-bodied. Ample, yet light carbonation.

Drinkability- This is a hard category for this style... The flavors of this didn't get old or become too much, but this is definitely a sipping beer any way you slice it- and it's so thick you probably could. For 18% however, this is pretty drinkable. I'd love to see how this one ages.

lpayette, Apr 15, 2007
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Major appreciation to Ddarden for this!! Pours an efferevescent mahogany/jet black with 1 finger of brown sand colored head in to my Donnersburger goblet. Spotty lacing & good head retention considering the abv

S: Cakey, plummy & ruch choclate up front. Booze surfaces as this warms, go figure...

T: Bitter chocolate, roasted grain & oakyness. Warming booze & raisins are there as this warms. I pick up sherry, Christmas pudding & dryness. Fishises warming, oaky, chocolatey rich & and complex

MF: Thick & oily, plus low/low carbonation. Something tho chew on

Drinks a bit ponderous. But one you could probably lay down for years & years then you'll get sublime drinkability. Another candiate for tripple stout IMO

russpowell, Apr 11, 2007
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

At last: The mythic World Wide Stout.

From a $9.95 12oz bottle into a pub pint glass. Dark as pitch, brown head. Bubbles like a cola with a similar sound, and lasts about as long. Cascading head. Some lacing in clumps.

Odd, unique aroma. Kinda soapy. Alcohol. All kinds of organic chemistry goin' on.

Taste: Chicory, raisins, bordeaux. Alcohol and instant warmth on the palate. Intense. As big a beer as big beer gets.

Thick, heavy mouthfeel. Again, comparisons to bordeaux come up. As it warms it becomes port-like.

Drinkability: Compared to beer in general, not that high. But taking it for what it is, fair to good drinkability,

Bottom line: Not a paradigm shifting beer but good all around.Probably not worth the $10 a bottle but I'm glad I gave it a try.

rabsten, Mar 25, 2007
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

I believe this is a 2005 vintage.

A - Pours as black as black gets with a 1 finger tan creamy head that leaves patches of lacing all the way until the end. I am impressed with the head and lacing for such a high ABV beer.

S - Dark fruits of raisins and prunes, caramel, chocolate, overall sweetness present.

T - Raisins and prunes mixed with dark (maybe slightly bitter) chocolate. Taste is sweet but not as sweet as aroma. I am also getting an oaky alcohol presence that adds to the complexity and reminds me of sipping on a fine bourbon that slowly turns into a slight burn as it warms that reminds me of a harsher more potent Bourbon.

M - Full body that doesn't feel so heavy due to light carbonation. Surprising dry finish for it being on the sweet side that is causing me to sip this one way to fast. Alcohol warming feeling but the taste for 18% is hidden fairly well by the complexity.

D - A tasty beer that has stood up nicely over 2 years. The 18% ABV and $7.99 per 12oz make this one difficult to be a regular drinker but definitely a beer for a special occasion. As I get to the end of the glass, I feel like I just ran a marathon.

brewcrew76, Mar 24, 2007
3.73/5  rDev -11.2%

Bought two 12 oz bottles of the 2006 vintage with green caps. This beer poured out black as tar and very thick. The head was coffee colored and sank back into the beer quickly.

The aroma was sweet and dark. The hop aroma left a little to be desired. Overall the aroma was pleasant.

The taste of this beer hits you like sipping a liquer. It could have passed for stout flavored shnapps. It was a thick and sweet brew that lingered on the tongue. The sweetness was a little too much, I expected it to be more bitter.

Overall it was an interesting beer to try and talk about and one of the strongest I've tried, but it's not for everyday. The second bottle should age nicely for a year or two when I will revisit and expect to find it even more interesting

DIPAbrewer, Mar 21, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Thanks to BeerBeing for this bottle.

12oz. brown bottle packaged in "05 pours out a licorice black with an inch thick cocoa brown foamy head with decent retention. Good carbonation and a bit of lace as well.

Sweet booze laden nose with notes of bourbon, licorice, coffee bean, oak, fig, prune and raisins. Really smells nice and complex.

The taste mimics the smell with a nicely melded blend of the forementioned and amplified by the high ABV...great tasting brew, much too my liking. Complex and bold...there is a lot of flavor going on here. A little on the sweet side, yet balanced for the most part...big body with a big boozy aspect, my kind of beer!

Very easy to drink but you best sip this one and enjoy it fully. Great stuff!!!

scottoale, Mar 19, 2007
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, the head immediately went buck wild with bubbles. Solid black in color, totally opaque. Smells a bit of coffee and chocolate and a pinch of alcohol.

Taste is kind of sweet up front, then it builds into a barrage of flavors including raisins, chocolate, figs and espresso beans. Mouthfeel is almost chewy, very sticky and full. The aftertaste is powerful, and is of alcohol and molasses and something a bit sour that I can't put my finger on.

I gladly paid $7.99 for a 12 oz. bottle, and feel as though I pretty much got my moneys worth. This is truly a unique beer that deserves another try. Not that I would drink it everyday, but it is very powerful and especially drinkable for the style, in my opinion. Dogfish Head has yet to disappoint me.

tanarm, Mar 14, 2007
3.95/5  rDev -6%

I originally planned to store this $10 12oz bottle and pop it open as my 3000th beer, but I’m too impatient and this chilly night just seemed the night to crack it open. It poured with the solid, crude-oil blackness of a big stout, complete with a big ice-cream-float of a tan head. The slightly licorice-like aroma is much more restrained than I’d imagined would come from this monster of a beer. Then on the first swallow, all the alcohol-powered gusto that I’d savored tonight come on right away. Thick and viscuous, this sticks to your ribs on the way down to your gullet. Lots of hearty dark fruit, thick chocolate syrup and, well, almost an ashy aspect. So anyway, this is a big beer and I can appreciate the artistry in it. And I understand the rationale behind the $10/12oz price tag (read the book), but I’m not real sure it’s worth it ... there are plenty of outstanding Imperial Stouts or Porters out there that can scratch this itch, and for a lot less dough, so unless I lose my mind, I won’t feel the need to fork out 10 bucks for this one again. I’ll stick to their $9 four-packs of 90-minute IPA. (#2740, 3/9/2007)

Braudog, Mar 10, 2007
4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

Oh my, this is a good one. Thanks to my buddy Jason who snuck this one into a mixed six-pack for me.
Pitch black color with a brown head that doesn't hang around for the festivities. Kind of a raisin aroma, a bit red wine-like even.
This one has a very fruity taste to it. I don't figure I can enumerate all the flavors: raisin, rum (rum raisin?), berries, very sweet sugar. The alcohol is just there in the aftertaste at the back of my mouth, but the rest of my mouth is sweet, including my lips, which I am licking obsessively to continue the taste sensation.
Dangerously drinkable for such a high ABV.
Jason, please bring some more next time you stop by!

weasbri, Mar 05, 2007
3.33/5  rDev -20.7%

Thanks to mdavis31481 for this one.

12 oz bottle, and surprisingly no ABV listed, poured into a tulip. Only the smallest head, dark brown in color, and no lacing. Color is a dark, dark cola brown.
Smell is sort of like burnt coffee. There are other chocolate notes, but mostly burnt coffee. Taste is a little overpowering with the burnt malt, which is hard for me to say since I was expecting a little more. There is some chocolate notes and some sweetness. I think the roastiness is somewhat unbalanced.
Mouthfeel was a lot lighter than what I expected, still a solid medium body. I was expecting something a lot thicker.
I'm used to big beers, but the ABV on this one knocked me out. I'm glad I tried it, but I don't think I need to have this one again.

bort11, Mar 04, 2007
4.55/5  rDev +8.3%

Appearance: Black just as a stout should be. The tanb head dies quickly, which is not surprising considering the ABV.

Smell: Raisins and other dark fruit complimented by the roasted malts, oak, and chocolate. Hints of vanilla and alcohol permeate as well.

Taste: I can feel the alcohol on my lips before it even gets to my tongue, but as it hits my mouth it feels very balanced. The dark fruits, chocolate and some sugar come together nicely and balance the alcohol. The roasted malts and surprisingly not dry.

Mouthfeel: Crisp on the tongue, which is most likely due to the high alcohol content. No carbonation to speak of, but as stated before there really couldn't be.

Drinkability: Nice warming alcohol but surprisingly drinkable. The ABV will keep me from drinking this all the time however.

stereosforgeeks, Feb 25, 2007
4.18/5  rDev -0.5%

Finally got my hands on a bottle of this, for superbowl sunday of all days.

Pours thick and black, which by my preferences is just right. Dark fruit and hints of dark bitter chocolate dominate the taste. This stuff is thick, but not in a bad way at all.

This is a scary brew. Unbelievable drinkable for the ABV, I was honestly shocked at how easy it was to drink.

kpwill07, Feb 13, 2007

2003 bottle shared with a friend. This stout was very tasty. It had all the roasty, coffee-like goodness you would expect but it was also sweet (in a good way). The mouthfeel was perfect but the drinkability sucks given the ABV. I also think the sweetness would get cloying if you drank a whole bottle. While I liked this beer, I don't think the big stouts really are my thing.

ArrogantB, Feb 12, 2007
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

For such a powerful brew, this is a clinic in balance. Poured from the bottle pitch black with an amazing burnt orange head, which quickly fizzed itself out. Aromas were strong with alcohol, resiny hops, a hint of charcoal and big burnt/dried raisen/prune aroma. Taste was all over the place- big alcohol and solvents up front but these were quickly overtaken by a HUGE candied sugar presence; very sweet then mellow. Finishes with a nice oily hop bitterness and a very refreshing roasted malt chocolate. This stout is so easy to drink and tasty- dangerous, but i want another.

kernalklink, Feb 10, 2007