World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
2.85/5  rDev -32.1%

A- pitch black with a light tan top coating.

S- malt, vanilla, oak with a strong alcohol sweetness.

T- tons of roasted barley, very earthy, the finish is very sweet and alcoholic. Up until the finish it isnt bad, but the sweetness just lingers and creates a struggle to put this one down.

M- thick, syrupy and chewy. no cabonation.

D- took over an hour to shove 12oz down my throat.

Overall- I was expecting a little more from this beer. Even with the extreme alcohol, i was hoping for it to be a little more drinkable. The initial taste isnt bad, but the finish is so sweet and alcoholic that it almost has to be paired with some type of food to be tolerable. Although i would not buy this one again, i dont regret trying it. Regardess, props are due from brewing one of the strongest beers on the planet.

Gritsak, Jun 10, 2006
4.2/5  rDev 0%

I got a bottle of this for $7 at Capones Restaurant and 6 pack shop. Excited to try it. I am drinking it out of a small 5 oz. wine (?) glass

Appearance: Sharpie black...when poured, it gave no head. suprisingly, there was some visible carbonation. Also suprisingly, the beer had a lace top to it.

Smell: strong scenet of malts, dark fruits, alcohol, and dark chocolates

Taste: Needless to say, this beer's flavor is that of epic proportions. Picture a tastebomb....OK, now picture it going off in your mouth. The World Wide Stout (WWS) explosion starts with dark malts and is quickly overwhelmed by an intense burst of estery dark fruit flavors...mainly plumes. In addition, I most certainly detected flavors that reminded me of dark jamaican rum. The alcohol is most definitely present but melds in with the dark fruit/dark rum flavors. The aftertaste of this beer was confusing....at first I thought it was a lingering hop finsh BUT it just seemed off. Turns out, there was no hop flavor...instead, it was that intense dark fruit/rum flavor STILL lingering about

Mouthfeel: thick, creamy, chewy....perfect for a strong stout

Drinkability: I give it a "good" rating because for a beer that is 18% alcohol...this goes down wayyy too easy.

maek228, Jun 09, 2006
3.9/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

This is my 155th review, but glancing at my profile it also looks like this will carry me up to the 'Initiate' level. Woo, I feel special! Anyway, an appropriately great beer for a... special occasion?

Pours black, black, black, black, black like tar into an oversized wine glass. It's not actually that thick though. No head at all, even at practically room temperature.

Aroma is red wine, alcohol, bitter chocolate and coffee. Some great complex smells coming off this, some of which I can't identify.

Flavour is somewhat disappointing... I was hoping for some bitterness, but this beer is very, very sweet, like chocolate candy. Extremely malty (which I guess I should have expected), with a noticeable alcohol presence (although the 18% is certainly well absorbed). Some roasted malt and burnt caramel flavours in there as well.

Absolutely fantastic mouthfeel, creamy and oily without being cloying. Great stuff. Aftertaste is toasted marshmallow or burnt caramel again.

Wonderful beer, and I'll seek it out again, but I would have liked a little more unsweetened chocolate in there or something to balance out the sugar.

crwills, Jun 08, 2006
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

After a rough day at work today I knew the WWS in the fridge would make it all better. This one is an 2004 bottle. Pours black with a tan colored head that dissipates to a ring that hangs around until its gone. The smell tells me this is just what I need, coffee-like roasted malts with a strong bourbon smell, nice and sweet and boozy. Sugary sweet caramel and vanilla aromas mix with the roasted malts. Initial taste is roasted malts with a nice alcohol burn at the back of the throat. The alcohol is very well balanced for its strength, it goes down quite easy. Medium to heavy bodied and creamy with a little tingle from the alcohol. Unbelievably well put together stout with this alc. strength, the WWS was just the trick to take the edge off.

hoppymeal, Jun 06, 2006
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

purchased in coral gables/miami.

i have been waiting to open this for a few months, but i just bought an 04, so i decided to crack this one open while the girlfriend went out with girls tonigt.

pours a deep black color. dark brown edges. my glass looks like it is made of black marble. brownish tan head that only forms around half of the beer's top. it pops away quickly. smell is very vicious. you can smell hints of vanilla and caramel. the alcohol makes it presence known in the nose. cocoa and molasses dance their way in there. taste is of alcohol...but i don't mind it. it somewhat of a port taste to it. vanilla, maple syrup, and bitter sweet chocolate are evident. taste is quite remarkable for a beer with such a high alcohol content. the mouthfeel is very lush and juicy and vibrant and mouth coating. you can feel this mofo warm your chest as it flows down into your belly were it warms even more. trully amazing. the drinkability factor on this is taken down due to the high abv but that to me was its only downside. i think this would be a great crossover beer for the "big red" wine snob that think every beer is like the mass produced names that we rarely speak of on this board. i would love to get even more of this and i am glad that i have the 04 sitting in my beer closet right now. 9 bucks for this ain't that bad....now let me go finish this off so i can get my permi-grin for the rest of the night...hehehoho

DeaconBluez, Jun 02, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

Spent motor oil poured into the glass topped with a dark tan one finger head. At 18 percent I was surprised to see such wonderful results.

The nose is sweet with lots of cola, dark chocolate, dark berries, and lots of alcohol.

Very sweet taste that is composed of some chocolate and deep roasted malt. There's some bourbon sitting around in the back of the flavor. Very enjoyable but definitely overtaken by the alcohol in the end.

A very dry finish caps off this wonderful and different brew that is very thick and very enjoyable.

timtheenchanta, May 29, 2006
4.43/5  rDev +5.5%

This beer was tasted in a snifter from the bottle.

Ok so im starting this review with about 3 ounces left of the 12 ounce bottle and I just have to say woah. Ok this beer pours almost jet black lined with some mahogany trim. There is a nice looking chocolate head that dissipates quickly due to the high alcohol content. Ok the smell hits you with some chocolate aromas along with some woody oak and maybe just the slightest hint of some dark berries. There is also some alcohol aroma that stings the nostrils. The taste hits you immediatley with sweetness. It is almost a chocolate cola flavor. Swimming around in there are also a few hints of some woody and berry flavors. Overall there is a nice thickness to this beer and just enough carbonation. As high in alcohol as this is you would expect it to be rather difficult to drink but i must say the warming effect that it gives you is quite enjoyable as well as the complexity of the flavor and the aroma. I certainly need to celar some of these.

MSchae1017, May 27, 2006
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottle dated 10-29-05. DARK head that thinned out, no lace. Extra dark black i mean BLACK, can't even see any light through it. not sure I've ever seen it this dark before. Nice full flavored porter like mouth-feel. seem to be missing the aroma. surprisingly little alcohol burn, though I'm not sure what this alcohol % is. Very drinkable, very nice.

ReDave, May 21, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

It's been a while since I've reviewed, and I wanted to get the ball rolling with the right equipment. The ten dollar, 12oz bottle at the beerstore was an obvious choice. Probably the most expensive beer I have ever bought at retail by volume. But hey, still cheaper than moderately priced wine!

Used a tulip glass for this special occasion beer. Pours a dark ruby-mulch color. Exceptional head retention, leaves a paper-thin sheet of head on the side of the glass. Smell is very focused and potent, sweet, toasty, and chocolaty. The smell is strong enough smell to sample without bringing to my nose.

Definitely a sipping beer. Obviously, alcohol taste is dominant, as is the malt profile. Tingly and warming, this beer is not unlike brandy. Though a very occasional smoker, this is probably the number one beer I would pick to pair with a cigar. I couldn't drink this everyday, as it would kick my ass, but a definite must-sample for any beer lover.

RocketWidget, May 17, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from bottle into a snifter at DFH pub. The pour was slow not much head. Deep dark espresso color. BTW this was the 3yr. stuff.

Smell is sweet malty and alcohol. Alcohol over powers the medium hops. Not the way I like it.

Taste is of alcohol, dark roasted malt. Too much booze not enough to taste.

Mouthfeel is OK rich creamy light carbonation.

Drinkability, Not to high here, this is a desert beer to be sipped. MK

MuenchenerKindl, May 15, 2006
3.88/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance- Pours a black coal color with no highlights at all. Absorbs the sun into it's blackheart. Poured a great two finger head into my Goose Island IPA tulip. Leaves a good ring and film o' foam on the tippy top.

Smell- An aroma thick as tar hits the senses with molasses, brown sugar, black coffee, all mixed with a strong presence of alcohol.

Taste- Barley-rific, take your pick of roasted, toasted, and smoked barely flavors. These general barley flavors breakdown into some more specific flavors. Like the char on some good baby-back ribs. Molasses mixed with brown sugar and nutmeg. Lets not forget deeply roasted coffee and some toasted toffee and bread flavors.

Mouthfeel- Dark is the best generalization on my palate. Take everything in the taste description and paint it black. Would have been a "5" but these flavors were a bit cloying and left a long aftertaste.

scruffwhor, May 14, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Eternal gratitude to Beerpanther for the sample.

Pours thick and ink black with a bubbly tan head. It quickly recedes to a chunky ring that releases moderate amounts of lace on the glass. The aroma is a pungent mix of malts, prune, mollasses and hot alcohol. The taste is as intense as the nose. Loads of sweet malts and dark fruits bombard the senses. Theres also a dark chocolate and roasted barley character that provides balance to the monumental sweet maltiness. Port-like alcohol heat is noticeable throughout. The mouthfeel is very viscous and chewy. Theres healthy amounts of creamy carbonation. The finish is long and bittersweet, with alcohol spice.

This is a heady beer. It does a good job of hiding its colossal abv. Its sweet but not too sweet. Great for sipping and contemplating.

CAMRAhardliner, May 08, 2006
2.8/5  rDev -33.3%

Poured a cola color. Far too light for a stout. Little head. Nose was somwhat sickly sweet, not what I want from a stout.
Taste is sweet with very muted tones of chocolate and brown sugar. Mouth was surprisingly thin.
Nope no way I'd session this at $8 a bottle and a high ABV. I can only hope it improves with age.

TheBungyo, May 06, 2006
4.08/5  rDev -2.9%

"Packaged in ..." looks like somewhere between 2004-2005 -- the notch is right between the two numbers. Picked this up at Beers of the World in Rochester a few months ago -- $8.95 out the door, baby! Poured into an oversized wine goblet, World Wide Stout is an intense black, like spent motor oil with a fizzy caramelized sugar-colored foam cap that is rapidly reduced to a thin ring of bubbles around the glass. Nose is predominated by chocolate and alcohol vapors...booze content is pretty high in this one: as the aroma fades from my nostrils I feel a slight "chemical" burning/tickle, kind of like catching a whiff of ammonia or chlorine -- but with a strong roasted cocoa component. Begins vinous, with rum-soaked cherries and chocolate liquer flavors yielding to a roasted malt middle and a sweet cocoa finish. Then a fiery alcoholic warming lights up my entire upper digestive track. Jesus, I won't be finishing this one any time soon... Viscous mouthfeel; expansive, but not in a fluffy Belgian-ale sort of way. High alcohol content creates a lingering buzzing sensation on the tongue and gums (not to mention inside my head!). So, it's as drinkable as it can be, I guess. A great beer, but at $9 a pop and a 12 ouncer that'll get you wasted on its own, World Wide Stout is about a once-a-year thing for me.

orfeu, May 06, 2006
4.63/5  rDev +10.2%

I finally had a chance to try this. I've been looking at the bottle for some time!
A - Used motor oil black! very tiny hints of foam at the sides of the glass. Enough to let you know it's not flat.

S - thick roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffe

T - the same as it smells. thick roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffe. vinious. the alcohol defintely let's it be known this is not a normal imp stout! Not offensive but what a hit!

M - very thick beer. not syrupy but close. Wonderful sipping beer.

D - One's enough. Great to have but I can't imagine trying another beer in a sitting after having one of these!

horde it! cellar it! Enjoy It!

barleywinebrewer, May 05, 2006
4.68/5  rDev +11.4%

So as of last night I am officially finished with my thesis at college and I decided to celebrate. World Wide Stout(WWS) was the beer that I chose to break out of my stash. I'm pretty sure this bottle contains more alcohol than any other beer I have ever drank, and it was a present from my girlfriend last time she went out of town($9 a bottle also makes it the most expensive beer I have ever drank).

This bottle has the year 2003 notched on the side of the label, and no alcohol content, but I have seen it on a bar's beer list and this vintage was labeled 23%.

WWS poured a really dark black, no light was able to get through the glass except around the rim. Around the rim of the glass there was some really dark reddish/brown hints. It had a very very thin, almost non-existent head, that was a coffee color, and a lace that coated the glass. The lace was so thick that it did not move at all.

This beer says its brewed with a 'ridiculous amount of barley', and this really comes out in the smell...lots of roasted, toasted malts as well as some strong coffee and chocolate flavors. It also had an oaky bourbon-esque scent, and there was some, but very little, alcohol present in the smell.

The taste was immediately of chocolate and roasted malts, with a little bit of hops to lighten up the body. Much a beer, but it did have some qualities of a liqueur. There was the oakyness, and alcohol in the finish, the other flavors in WWS really covered up the alcohol too, it was present but shadowed nicely. And it left an after taste of chocolate. This after taste was much sweeter than chocolate stouts (which tend to have a slightly bitter dark chocolate feel to me).

M/D- WWS was very thick and oily(not in a bad way, but the thickness and how it moved reminded me of oil). In the mouth it was heavy and silky providing a really enjoyable mouthfeel, and it coated my mouth with deliciousness. This is not one of those beers that you would take and drink a couple of them....after one I was really feeling the effects. Its a sipper, and this one lasted me an entire 2 1/2 hour movie. I found it to be extremely drinkable, and had no problem finishing the bottle, although it was a slow process, but be careful the alcohol will catch up on you. I can't wait to try another vintage.

jameaterblues, May 02, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +7.1%

Poured black as tar... we couldn't get any light through it. We put a 75 watt bulb behind it and nothing! Now this is a stout!

alcohol and malty yeasty nose.

First taste was more like, "what have I gotten myself into?". But the more that I drank, the better that I liked it. The warmer the glass, the better I liked it. It took 45 minutes to drink the 4 ounces (we split the beer) that I was allocated, and the last sip was better than the first.

Big bold mouth. Lingers quite a while and gets better as it gets warmer as well.

Considering the 18% abv, I would not rate this as a beer that you could drink all day. More of an occasinal sharing beer.

Very good overall.

SSGPat, May 01, 2006
4.78/5  rDev +13.8%

Received in trade from fdrich29. (Thanks, Frank!)

Bottled in 2003. Beer tasted and consumed on my one-year beer-reviewing anniversary, 4/28/06.

A: Pours black, black, black into a pint glass. No real head, just khaki-colored "soap scum" on the top of the glass. Leaves some lacing.

S: Aroma thick, malty, strong notes of grapes -- almost like a deep dark red wine. Slight astringency, slight coffee, and notes of licorice, walnuts, and caramel.

T: Strong coffee and raisin flavor, sweet and strongly astringent due to alcohol. Aftertaste astringent, again like a fine red wine -- no hop bitterness at all. Warming sensation in chest, and as the beer warms the flavor profile increases in maltiness.

M: Mouthfeel thick, syrupy, even chewy. Bready, even.

T: So incredibly drinkable. I'll be buying these whenever I see them.

danielharper, Apr 29, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

The DFH World Wide Stoudt is truly necture of the Gods. The colour is dark as night and sports a minimal head. Aromas tease the senses with hints of chocalate, vanilla and dried friut. Savoring the first of many swallow reveals the absence of a cidery taste one might expect from such a potent brew, (18%+ABV), though warms the palate with a comfortable rush of alchohol sweetness. World Wide's body is lightly carbonated,flavorful, and surprisingly drinkable. A must try for the beer coniseur.

LeffeHanded, Apr 17, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -31.4%

I had really high hopes for this brew, since it's so well reviewed here and fits the whole "bigger is better" mindset. Looked good, nice head, black as possible, even the carbonation was good, but it all fell apart on taste. Maybe I was expecting something drier, but the whole experience was ruined for me by the syrupy, sickly sweetness. Maybe I drank it too fast, who knows. In my opinion, beer doesn't need to be this strong and there's a limit on how slowly one can sip a beer. I'd rather drink two Perkuno's Hammers or Black Chocolate Stouts, which are rich without being syrupy and a whole lot cheaper. Not worth the $8/bottle.

Folderol, Apr 17, 2006
4.1/5  rDev -2.4%

A 12 oz. bottle of World Wide Stout with a bright green bottle cap on the bottle. I drank mine in a wine glass and shared a small glass with my dad.

The beer poured a very dark, thick appearing black color with a deep tan colored short head. The nose was enormous bitter chocolate, roasted and burnt malt, and alcohol smell at the finish. I also picked some faint black licorice tones. The beer was served at about cellar tempterature, and after each sip I allowed it sit on my tongue and allow the aftertaste to linger there. The flavor proved to be surprisingly subdued but complex enough. The beer had the expected chocolate and espresso flavors along with a fair amount of roasted malt taste. The huge alcohol allowed itself to hide until the aftertaste where it slowly lingered on the tongue with a liquor like presence. The flavors melded and tasted right though, and as I delved deeper into the bottle, the more I found myself liking the beer's flavor. A very solid beer with a sheer novelty attraction because of its abv and other factors. I would reach for it again if I could find it and wanted something to really wow some friends or have a nice dessert. I just couldn't drink more than one of these by myself.

edmundfitzoil, Apr 15, 2006
4.13/5  rDev -1.7%

Cellared since 2003:

Appearance: This double stout poured a solid black liquid with a hot chocolate froth colored head.Minimal laceing.Looks to be a fine stout.

Smell: The alcohol is overpowering all other scents. Chocolate hints,maple syrup and even a yeasty note. Raisin bread, slightly figgy.

Taste: Slight alcohol sting in the start and finish,the flavors come in the middle of the palate.Many dark fruits,raisins,soured grapes, figs, dates, a very strong mocha coffee, butterscotch, a sweet caramel malty complexity that is almost mind boggeling.Not bad ,very extreme and not as cloying as I would have imagined,but on the verge.

Mouthfeel: Seems this beer wants to be thick and chewy, and it is to an extent, but the alcohol seems to dillute and thin out the overall thickness of this brew.Sticky and oily substance. Think nice flavored bourbons while drinking this.

Drinkability: A pleasure to have tried this one. I believe the three years in the cellar has mellowed this one out a bit, but could probably do some good with a few more years. Shared a 12oz bottle with a friend of mine and I must admit 6 oz got me a buzz pretty quickly.

I would like to thank babbyhobbes for the pleasure of trying this masterpeice and hope I can get it again in the near future.

Cheers2Beers

cheers2beers, Apr 12, 2006
3.38/5  rDev -19.5%

Slowly becoming a fan of Dogfish Head, and it should be no surprise considering the great suds they've been producing as of late...
So this is one that I had to try simply because of the word of mouth I've been hearing... such a strong one and so expensive
($11 at my local beer store)!!!

It was recommended to me by the Bierkraft associate that I pour this one into a port glass... and how right he was.
Like the midnight sky with a new moon, this beer is pitch black and completely opaque, with a thin and fine veil of a head that quickly disappears entirely... such mystery!
The smell is warm and inviting, almost like a hard liqours', with scents of malt and a little chocolate, although im not sure... this type of brew is new to me.
One sip knocked me into a seat and blew me away. Strong taste, wtih heavy alcoholic bite. Very malty, with chocolate and coffee undertones. It is pleasant to drink with meats and cheese, but in small amounts. Had to split the bottle with a friend. Could have drank the whole thing myself, but my low tolerance would have found my drunk afterward. The aftertaste is not as bitter as i would expect, but rather bittersweet, again like chocolate.

I imagine this being preferable during cold winter nights or rainy days... not an everyday brew.

dieselboy914, Apr 10, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +16.7%

This is the first beer I have ever rated 5's. At $10 a 12oz bottle I was hoping it would be freakin good and my expectations were *very* high. Even with high expectations I impressed by a beer that superceded my wildest imagination! With a blindfold on, I think many people would mistake this for a wine or liquor. I never dreamed a beer could taste like this. I have seen the term 'vinous' used before but I never understood how a beer could taste like a wine, until now. I am so flabbergasted I can barely write (not to mention 18% ABV :)

Appearance: This beer should be the definition of black. I have never seen a 'Darker' beer. That is very black. It has a small dark brown head. The lacing is remarkably heavy. This is one good looking beer!

Smell: Grape! Extremely vinous. It seemed to be very Chambord-ish but with more of a deep red wine aroma; and a bit of Bourbon complexity. Some dark chocolate malts and then some more purple.

Taste: Grape, caramel and brown sugar to start with; that is followed by more sweet red berries, figs, dates, raisins and a subtle hint of chocolate and even deeper hints of vanilla. Definitely the most vinous beer I have ever tasted. I was expecting the alcohol to be rough. Of course it was noticeable but worked perfectly with the sweet flavor. Like some Brandy would too sugary without the balancing dry alcohol bite. The alcohol here is smooth and clearly part of the overall experience. The aftertaste is gently sweet and as pleasing as shoo-fly pie (my favorite food on earth). The aftertaste also leaves you with that 'Bourbon Breath', as I call it. The lingering sugars and alcohol leave me in a state of ecstasy, salivating out of control like a hungry dog; but a very *happy* one! This is truly sheer excellence!

Mouthfeel: This is the most smooth big beer with a very slick texture and a creamy chewy center. It is very full bodied but surprisingly light in the stomach.

Drinkability: It is fig Newton sweet but brilliantly balanced without being tart. I must admit this is the most unique beer experience. I have had to date! It did take me 2 hours to finish this beer; but at 18% ABV that is like four BMC beers. I have called other beers 'nightcap beers' before. But none of them can even shine a speck of light on World Wide Stout. This is a beer in a league of its own! It is completely unique and exceptional in every area! I feel honored to have been in its company.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

Phatz, Apr 05, 2006
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

A - pours motor oil black with a thin dark tan head that disappears very quickly

S - licorice and raisin aromas with a twinge of alcohol, very sweet-smelling, cant wait to try this, its smells great

T - a raisin-y flavor, alcohol is strong, stronger than the 120 minute IPA, there is also a slight chocolate flavor, and it ends with a nice subtle hop kick

M - very velvety and smooth, it has a nice mouth coat, what a sweet beverage to drink

D - the only drawback here, like the 120 Min IPA, is the ABV, know how to handle your shit

sinstaineddemon, Apr 01, 2006