World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev +7.4%

12 fl. oz.
Packaged in ’03
Released in early winter
21%alc 80 IBU
Purchased at Shawan Liquors in Hunt Valley, MD

Appearance: solid black; the light brown tiny bubbles pop away quickly as expected with the massive ABV

Smell: fruity, prune, plum, oily, mild alcohol

Taste: roasted barley, caramel, rum, subdued alcohol early, molasses, malty; aftertaste is fruity early, light chocolate, some bitterness, alcohol cleans the palate a bit and cuts into smoothness, roasted late; light fruit crispness really late

Mouthfeel & Drinkability: body is rich through most but thins out at the backend due to the potent alcohol; carbonation and oily nature bring on pleasant smoothness; after the last sip, WWS hits you like a ton of bricks…or a ton of feathers for that matter

This is an impressive brew. 4.5's across the board. Wow. Kudos to Governor Carper for allowing Dogfish to distribute, the Prez of Dogfish Sam Calagione, head brewer Bryan Selders and beer crafters Kevin Sondey and Kent Templeton.

Wonka, Jan 22, 2005
2.5/5  rDev -40.3%

First off, let me say that I applaud DFH for trying new things and testing the boundaries of beer and brewing. Next let me say that I personally don't like this beer. I had such high hopes, cellared for over a year, but it just ended up being too syrupy sweet for me. Heavy raisin/alcohol smell is present, with little to no head. Taste is quite sweet.... I didn't detect any of the subtle notes that I've seen talked about here. Maybe the remnants of my cold hindering my abilities? I'm not quite sure but I don't think so. Unbalanced, but not as unbalanced as I would have thought for a 21% beer. I'm glad I tried it, and I think everyone should try it once, but for $9.00 I'd rather buy a nice 750. Just my opinion.

ChrisBowers, Jan 16, 2005
4.88/5  rDev +16.5%

pours out a completely dark and despondent jet black colour...deep ruby hues on the fringes when held up to a bright light. no head, no lace and no hint of carbonation. juicy punes, black cherries, fermented raisins and ripe red grapes in the nose. all these flavours and more show up in the taste...along with a rather thick and sweet syrupy flavour i imagine tasting heavenly on a pile of buttery pancakes. is it blueberries? maybe....chokecherries? maybe...maple infused raspberries? most definitely! blackberries? oh yeah! black cherries? i said goddamn!! chocolate, caramel, plums and currants and every imagineable brandy soaked fruitcake rum laden whiskey spiked lovely flavour i can decipher. mouthfeel full...aftertaste boozy and medicinal.

as far as obnoxiously high ABV experiments go...this is a winner.

above and beyond anything i've ever sampled before.

outstanding...every beer advocate should strive to acquire a stash of these bottles. just stupendous...

a mighty thanks to bighuge for providing a bottle for consumption and inspection!!!

budgood1, Jan 16, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

This is the sexiest beer I have ever had.

It poured unassumingly enough...a typical stout with it's dark body and creamy head. This had an added bonus of a tinge of ruby red.

The smell at first had me reeling, searching for it's description. It was mossy at first yet sweetened to what I finally determined was canteloupe. I swirled and smelled again. Very smooth and tempting. It was that "glance from across the room" that got my attention.

The next sensation was from the mildly carbonated, malty nectar that slowly burned more than most winter warmers. The flavors made a smooth track around my taste buds with a sweetness quickly succumbing to an almost merlot-type dryness.

Mmmmm....the mouthfeel was a true pleasure. A slight alcoholic kick at the back of the tongue is perfectly balanced with the dryness so you don't even notice the smack across the face it's about to deliver to your sobriety.

I found it very drinkable by it's style, but I believe it should truly be savored slowly. A bottle shared with your significant other is the perfect serving.

Guinness4me, Jan 16, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours to a deep, dark brown, almost black color with just a ring of light brown from a head. There is a bit of spotty lacing. The aroma is alcoholic and rummy, with a oaky fruitcake maltiness....just intense and complex. The flavor is malty and alcoholic with a bready fruitiness. Pretty fucking boozey man. Rum soaked fruits, like rum cake as well. Just a boozey bitch. I like it, but I remember liking 2002 better. A full bodied alcoholic mutha bitch.

BeerBuilder, Jan 14, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

I was excited to try this beer , not because I thought it would be a great beer, simply because it took me so long to get ahold of. I wasn't expecting much but it is actually a pretty fun beer to drink. Solid black body with a meagre brown head. Aroma is fruity with raisins and port backed up with a health belt of booze. Flavor is OK, but there is a strong coppery metalic taste. Fruity and sweet with a touch of chocolate. Mouthfeel is almost syrupy, but still quite good. Surprisingly drinkable for the potency. Fun beer to drink, but not going to be a regular in my fridge...especially not at $9 a bottle!

Sixpack595, Jan 12, 2005
4.25/5  rDev +1.4%

Opaque and thick pour. Good roasty malty aroma Good roast, chocolate malts, perfect carbonation, not as overwhelming alcohol as the 23% 2003.

Had the 2006 courtesy of Hop Devil Grill and it was a top-notch stout and an upgrading of my rating. Stood up well as a good second to Speedway Stout vertical.
Supposedly 2007 at Beer Bistro, chocolatey his year, and like a port.

Sammy, Jan 12, 2005
4.83/5  rDev +15.3%

Poured out a pitch black chocolately dark brown. Not much had from the first pour or swirling, just a thin khaki ring. God, killer scents coming up from the glass. Dark chocolate, espresso, godiva liquor.... yummm.... Perfect amount of carbination in this, just enough to feel the tingle. High to medium bodied, very fuckin lovely!! Almost feels like Hershey's syrup... yeah, I have drank from the bottle. Dark and wonderfully luscious. You can taste the warmth of the alcohol. Chocolate and coffee, roasty maltiness, so freakin good! This is damn fine and drinkable. Easily a session for me, even with the percent attached to it, hey, I can do it with the Double Bastard...!
Thanks to JerseyDevil for letting me share brews for this one!

shapudding, Jan 09, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +14.1%

WOW!!! thanks Dave D.(One Stop in Haverhill, Ma.) for this treat. This is an extreme beer(dark as night, barely any head or lacing)
that is really interesting, tastes like a nice port wine, syruppy molassaes,
some chocolate-bitter coffee, fig, prunes, raisins and some interesting fruit
in there as well. Its a strong beer, really nice after taste to this.
This World Wide Stout is a great addition to Dogfish Head and
this one has been hanging around since the early 2000-2001 years??,
its sweetness is nicely balanced with so many delicious flavors
and the alcohol, WOW!! just sipping it on a cold day after
skating or having a run across the lake on the snow mobile sled
will remind you real quick that this beer is not no ordinary bud!
This will kick your butt, be careful. This is priceless stuff and
shouldn't be taken advantage off, find some if you can and age
it a few years.

littlebibs, Jan 07, 2005
4.08/5  rDev -2.6%

Carbonation is next to nothing, barely a film of head forms before it disappears again. Alcohol, dark rum, raisins, and a bit of burnt malt in the aroma. Dark black beer is opaque even when held to the light. Slightly slick mouthfeel, a few bubbles of carbonation in the middle, and a warming alcoholic finish. Sweet sugary raisin flavor up front, vanilla and alcohol in the middle. Definitely a sipper. Nice aroma, but the dominating sweetness in the flavor is distracting.

HappyHourHero, Jan 07, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

i finally did it, spent 9 dollars on a 12 ounce bottle, shh don't tell the girlfreind. Well worth the money, atleast to try it once. dark as night, there isn't a glimmer of light making it through this, even when i hold it up to the light. smells oddly like barleywine with notes of dark fruit and port. also a malty swwetness and the tinge of alcohol. when it hits your tounge you get a ncie sweetness and a burst of dark fruit, cherries, plums, currant. then it works it's way back and you get a bitter roasted maltyness as well as that alcohol taste you would expect. some might say there are port tastes in tehre, but i'd say it is closer to whiskey because of the way it hints of vanillia in as it starts woprking its way down your throat, but by the time it hits your belly you see why they say port. burns a little going down, but not in a abd way, in the warms you up on a snowy night kinda way. slightly chewy, and surprsingly drinable. the first few sips were a little ahrsh, but then as i adjusted to what i was drinking i had to hold myself back. one beer, i'm buzzed. maybe it is the excitment fo this beer, maybe it is the 21% abv.

MediocreatBest, Jan 07, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

10oz growler fill fresh from half-time. 2004 edition, 18%abv. This is black, so black it looks like oil. " Into the black" black, or "none more black" as our favorite band Spinal Tap would put it. This years vintage has a nice sized head of espresso coloured foam as well. It dies quickly, but what do you expect from this monster? Aromas of port wine, dark brandied fruits, singing alcohol, dark roasted malts, sweetened, but still strong, espresso, dark belgian chocolate, and yes, blood. Taste is complex and nice with a hot alcohol burn leading the palate into an array of taste senstations. Bakers chocolate, strong coffee, brandied fruits, and other flavors battle it out on this playground of palate-singing disaster. Mouthfeel is nice, thick and syrupy as expected, but to style as well. Drinkability is good, but ya know, how much of this stuff are you going to have this year. 10ounces is almost enough. Almost.

francisweizen, Jan 05, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +3.8%

Thanks to Downtown Spirits in Somerville for having these in stock...first tasted at Barcade in Brooklyn,NY, but this is a 16oz. bottle.
Pours a deep, dark black w/ very little caramel head. Nice lacing.
First smells are of a sweet liquor...possibly cognac. Hint of alcohol, but how would you hide this at 18%.
Taste is thick and delicious...sweet, but so smooth.
I can taste fig, coffee, and malts. This beer is a thick one and I would never think of making it a session beer (who can afford to), but would truly enjoy on occasion.
Aftertaste is lingering, which I totally appreciate.
Thanks Dogfish, you have taken things to a new level!

warriorsoul, Jan 02, 2005
4.3/5  rDev +2.6%

poured absolutly black as night with a tan-coffe colred head that clung to the edges of the glass as if it's life depend upon it. heavy huge amount of malt in the aroma, sugary and sweet with the abundant alcohol slowly releasing. as this warms it starts emulating an aroma of liquid dark chololate and it certainly has the body to go along with it. chewy thick body and an insanely dense mouthfeel. the alcohol does help to cut through this a bit. still this is very very drinkable considering 18%+ and how much malt went into this. don't even think of passing this up at the beer store, not as good as last years but still absolutly amazing.

shippos, Dec 30, 2004
4.53/5  rDev +8.1%

From a 12, this beer poured a ruby dark brown color with a thin brown head. The aroma is fabulous (did I just use fabulous?). Roasted malt with vanilla, oak, and banana ester as it warmed, this stout had a wine like characteristic in the complexity of the aroma. The flavor is malty, sweet and roasted, with the bitterness and alcohol both mellow and subdued. The texture is excellent, velvety-smooth, and think, warming as it goes down. This is the stuff of which legends are made.

redmosquito, Dec 28, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

My first sampling of World Wide Stout, much anticipated. Looks like nothing out of the ordinary for a stout. A hearty dark brown color with not too much dark brown head coating the top. Smell is wonderfully complex. Sweet dried cherries come to mind as well as fine liquers, brandy, cordials, and nice roasted malt and barley, although that seems to take a back seat here to the fruity boquet. A singe of alcohol in the nose, not oppressive in the least. Taste is just as creative and complex as the smell. I definately see the sweetness that others site as a downfall, but I don't particularly think it's dominating this beer. There's plenty else going on here. As mentioned above, the dark fruit tastes are great. I feel like I'm drinking fine alcohol or something, this really is a top notch drink. Tough to think of it as just a beer, really. But it is. Ahhh, the wonders of beer. The mouthfeel is silky smooth and syrupy, a nice touch to this intense brew. As good as this beer is, I can't quite give it a high mark on drinkabilty. This simply isn't the kind of beer you (or I wouldn't anyway) want to drink a sixer of. A great way to end a quiet holiday evening, or treat yourself to something nice. No need to drink a bunch of this stuff anyway as it's quite the asskicker. To give my highest compliments, this is an extremely unique brew with a lot of character. Enjoy.

twelvsies, Dec 27, 2004
4.7/5  rDev +12.2%

Wow!! one of the Best beers i've personally had to date. As a BA, life has come full circle. Santa brought me this brew complete with a brand new Dogfish glass. Note; this is also my first Dogfish brew, won't be the last. I thought Id enjoy this as a winter warmer as I poured it after a 10 inch snow falls worth of shoveling and plowing. It poured black with a nice inch plus tan head. Lace was good with rings all glass long. The aroma was of barley malt with a hint of alcohol. The taste was also of malted barley followed by alcohol over any hop. The taste also carried hints of malases, dark fruit like plum and raisin, alcohol, and hints of light chocolate. The mouthfeel was creamy smooth that aided the drinkability. A fine brew for sure. Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy and just plain delicious. I did notice an oil feel left on the lips. Thanks again to santa, for not just a beer, but a BA experience!

chilidog, Dec 26, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

I've been waiting for this one and I wasn't disappointed. This beer pours a very dark brown color with very little head that leaves no lacing on the glass. The aroma is most complex. Dark fruits, strong alcohol, raisins, cherries, roasted malts, chocolate. Wow, what an aroma. The alcohol lends a large part to the nose. The flavor was just as complex as the aroma. Great strong malt character - mostly roasted with a little chocolate. Lots of fruits in the flavor - cherries, figs, and a lot of sweetness. The alcohol is very upfront throughout, but I like it that way. Reminds me to drink it slowly. Very nice beer. Not as great as the past offerings, but I'm going to let a couple lie down and give them a try in a year or so. I bet that helps a lot.

clvand0, Dec 22, 2004
4.33/5  rDev +3.3%

This is a great beer and the only beer with a ABV of over 20% that i've consumed that still tastes distinctly like a beer. It's black as night and produces pretty much no head. It smells like plums, prunes, cherries and dark chocolate. The taste is sweet like maple syrup, with a smokey coffee kick to it. The mouthfeel is tingling cream. Like champagne and eggnog at once. A sweet hickory taste lingers for quite a while.
The alcohol is marvellously hidden. You can obviously feel and taste it, but I'd easily believe that it's an imperial stout at 11 to 13% ABV.

GDMFSOB, Dec 22, 2004
3.9/5  rDev -6.9%

Found by chance in Safeway, corner of Gordon and Union Streets, Glasgow

Poured in a 22 oz wine glass

Pours pitch black with a very very faint copper hue (had to look real hard for it). It had a surprising amount of head, about a quarter of an inch, for a beer this big. The nose was incredibly fruity; I got strong hints of raisin and plum. Very strong alcohol presence in the smell too. The taste is very sweet, with a lot of the raisin and plum coming through, but also the burnt taste of the roasted barley saying to me that underneath all this it is indeed a stout. There was surprisingly little alcohol in the immediate taste, saving itself for the finish which was incredibly warming. The carbonation was very slight but this beer was thinner than I had imagined.

Overall, this is a very unusual beer and not for the faint of heart. At 21% I split a 12 oz bottle three ways. Despite this, it is more drinkable than it sounds. Although, for the price over here (about 5 GBP a bottle) I think I will move on. A very fascinating beer though.

foamer, Dec 20, 2004
3.58/5  rDev -14.6%

Served cellar temperature from a Belgian ale chalice. The beer pours a thick, solid black color with an unassuming head. Alcohol, chocolate, molasses, and a whisky-like undertone in the aroma. Actually, I was disappointed because the smell was not nearly as complex and intense as I’d expected. Taste is sweet…with a serious alcohol mouth-numbing and warming sensation. Lots of malt and sugary sweetness….plums, raisins, chocolate, and still more alcohol. Full and almost chewy mouthfeel. Frankly, the beer really didn’t come together for me…it seemed like a slightly-better-than-average stout with a heck of a lot of alcohol. I was somewhat disappointed.

Suds, Dec 20, 2004
3.88/5  rDev -7.4%

Pours a very dark brown and deep red color with very little head and almost no lacing.

Scent is of dark roasted, sweet, sweet malt, dark fruits and heavy in the alcohol department.

Taste is of sweet, sweet lightly dark roasted malts, fruits (apricots?), chocolate, molases and finishes with a sweeet alcohol then the chocolate/molasses again.

Mouthfeel is smooth, very full bodied, reminds me of a barleywine. Lots of carbination which helps to hide the alcohol.

Surprisingly drinkable for an 18% beer. It is smooth, almost creamy with a pleasant flavor.

This beer kind of reminds me of a barleywine, only it is less cloying than any barleywine I have ever had.

trumick, Dec 20, 2004
4.18/5  rDev -0.2%

Picked this up at the wonderful World of Beers in Clearwater. I think we will pick up a few more bottles to cellar ( or closet, more accurately).

Appearance: Black. As in I held it 6" away from a lightbulb and light still did not pass through. Enough carbonation that a thin 1/4 inch head made a relatively brief appearance. More head than other beers approaching this ABV had shown.

Smell: Very little. I guess all this thickness traps the aromas or something. Alcohols, fusal and otherwise, and not much else, maybe a bit of roasted malt

Taste: Warming. I took one sip and it warmed my chest and went straight to me head. Sweet, but not so much that it really bothered me. Strong alcohol presence as well, but this helps to balance out the sweetness. Also a good deal of roasted malt flavors and something that is reminesent of raisins.

Mouthfeel: Thick, duh. Not exactly syrupy, but it definatly coats the glass. Very warming. Also, at this ABV if you take a big swig, you don't just feel it in you mouth, but throughout your body, much like doing a shot.

Drinkability: Yeah, I guess a four seems high, but you have to rate to style. I have a hard time imagining another beer this strong that would be much more drinkable.

poundboy, Dec 19, 2004
4.43/5  rDev +5.7%

This beer pours a nice black color wtih hints of brown around the edges. The small head falls to ring the beer. The first thing we noticed after pouring the beer was the sweet cherry aroma in the air. Sticking my nose in the glass gives me chocolate covered cherries coated with amaretto. The alcohol is apparent in the nose, but not offensive. The flavor is doing a lot of different things. I get a sweetness that is close to cherry, but also a little fig like. There is a bit of a chocolate character after swallowing, andthe alcohol is there all through this beast. I would expect that to mellow over time. Still this beer is nice. The feel is huge thick. Its a monster. Drinkability sufferes from the apparent alcohol, but I don't think that a beer that rings in at 18%ABV should be too drinkable. Its a nice offering that will definately get better with time.

kmpitz2, Dec 16, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +4.5%

Vintage 2002

Finally decided to open up another one of these to do a review of. With a slightly vigorous pour a decent half-inch tan head rose over the pitch black body, which is more than I would expected from a 2year old brew this strong. As expected after its brief appearance the head slinks away into the black body never to be heard from again. Aroma was quite full with dark fruits like prunes, sweet chocolate malt and a touch of alcohol all rolled into one. Flavor starts off with a dark fruity sweetness before leading into the chocolate malt. Notes of raisins, prunes and alcohol were in the mix. The flavor ends with a sweet alcohol burn that is not too strong. This stuff is thick, maybe not Dark Lord thick but down a level. It definitely fills the mouth with just a small sip, which keeps you from drinking it too quick. It also has a bit of a slick and warm feel to it as well. Drinkability is excellent on this brew with its thickness being the only thing holding you back a bit. Alcohol for the most part is well hidden but otherwise adds to the experience. Excellent example of how a big beer should be done.

meathookjones, Dec 15, 2004