World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,328 | Reviews: 1,673
2.69/5  rDev -36.1%

One word can sum this beer up, in my mind: Overpriced.

This beer was $9.99 for a single 12oz bottle, and I looked around a number of places to find that everywhere had it priced it similarly.

It's an overly sweet stout with too much alcohol taste too it. It's quite smooth if you can get over the sweetness and alcoholic bite, and doesn't go down like a lump in the stomach.

However, for ~$10 a bottle, this beer is better left tasted once and written off as a regrettable purchase.

4.5/5  rDev +6.9%

i had the pleasure of trying this one the very first time it was released to the general public. I wasn't such a beer geek then, but I hear there was some wicked scandal involved... Anyways, it really blew my mind then, and the only difference to me this time around is that my palate has matured and it seemed a hell of a lot smoother. I also can appreciate the looks and smell a lot more. Opaque. Dark as a starless night, with a coffee with cream colored head that doesn't stick around too long, but leaves some pretty lace in its wake. Nose is roasty, with hints of chocolate, coffee (I think thats just the roast), and dark fruit. Also some sweetness like rummy caramelly sugar. Taste reveals the same and more. Full body. Silky, creamy. The booze is there, but hardly noticable that it is above 18%. Good show dfh!!

2.87/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Well, I really enjoyed the 120 minute, but this monster was just a little too untamed for me. Pours basically pitch black, thin tan head rises up and is gone quickly. Low carbonation, looks flat and still. Smell is very sweet. Dark fruits and chocolate. A slight roasty scent but not so much. Taste is overly sweet. Smokey flavors come through and an oak and vanilla as well. Not much for balance and pretty damn hot. Mouthfeel is rich and full, the only thing that holds it back is the burn. I'm glad I had somebody to split this with because I wouldn't have finished the bottle myself. It's not bad but it's not that great, either. I probably should have held on to this for another year or so, though it already had about a year on it.

Thanks goes to Phil for the opportunity...

3.56/5  rDev -15.4%

A very fine imperial stout. Extremely smooth, with flavor that was more mild-mannered than I would have expected from Dogfish Head. Inferior and far more expensive than Alesmith Speedway Stout and Central Waters Brewers Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout, but a very fine beer nonetheless.

It poured a rather viscous black with no head into my glass. Aroma was powerful and a bit off-putting - bourbon was present along with some soy sauce aroma, smokey-ness, and a lot of out-of-place (in my opinion) sourness. Flavor was much more mild than I expected, both from a Dogfish Head product and from an Imperial Stout, but was decent and extremely smooth. There was no biting astringency that I frequently get from Imperial Stouts, and this beer hides its potent ABV quite well (caveat emptor on that one my friends). Definitely recommended, but I would challenge that this beer is really best in class.

4.25/5  rDev +1%

2005 Edition, cellar stored since Fall of 2006.

Ok, so I really had not ever tried this one before and I had a this bottle sitting in the closet for a while and really wanted to give this a shot. I put it in the fridge about a week ago, and last night just grabbed it for no other reason then I felt I wanted it. Poured a very deep dark black with a minimal say one inch of thick brown head that faded rather quickly leaving behind just a touch of film across the top and a nice amount of side glass lace. Absolutely opaque, no light was coming though on this one. Smell was very full and rich, and very sweet. A ton of chocolate could be picked up at first, but this mellowed and mixed with some oak and caramel aromas. Deep sense of roasted malts comes over you, no taste of the ABV. A full on malt explosion takes hold on the first sip. Deep roasted flavors, mixed in with chocolate and a robust full earthy feel. This was really complex and very smooth. Had the thick consistency of a shake like dessert, but without the carbonation. Lots of wood and oak like flavors came though out. I was shocked by how mellow this was. It really offered me no idea of how strong it was and I was able to sip through the bottle with ease. I don’t know if it was the aging or if it really is just that good, but this was excellent. Very rich and smooth and really took me by surprise. I was expecting something a bit harsher, but this was very drinkable and really very nice. I think I have another bottle floating around and if I do I will save it for a very cold night. This was a perfect nighttime sipper, probably one of the best I have had for hat role in a very long time. Definitely have to recommend this one and seek one out again.

4.3/5  rDev +2.1%

I drove 20 minutes over into Hudson, Wisconsin to get this beer and it was well worth it. They carried it at both Chicones and Casanova. Smooth and syrupy with a hint of molasses and dark fruit. You will also notice the alcohol but it blends well. This beer packs a real punch so be careful.

4.35/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from the glass into a small tasting glass. Third go at this one.

The first glass poured from the bottle had little head. The second glass had 0.250 of tan foam fading quick into a tan ring.

Smells like toasted and roasted malts and like dark brown, cane, or maybe turbinado. Alcohol presence on the nose.

Very nice and bitter sweet. Chocolate notes, coffee feel, roasted malts and black patent bitterness and tannins. Gets chewy as it warms releasing sweeter tones. Black licorice, anise, candy.

Alcohol and CO2 burns the tongue. Chewy body followed by warmth through the finish.

Goes down very good for such high ABV.

4.49/5  rDev +6.7%

I think my tastes are being steered to this style of beer more and more!

A - Dark as night, chocolate milk head that dissipates fairly quickly. Permanent, clumpy legs throughout.

S - MMM. Dark fruits that remind me of Belgium, mixed with espresso, chocolate and alcohol.

T - It's a party, for sure. Alcohol hits you pretty quick, some carbonation then a finish of dark fruits and hard dark chocolate.

M - Only thing about the mouthfeel is that the coating dark fruits aren't really balanced in the end. Not a bad thing, IMHO, but does make things a little cloying.

D - As mentioned above, heavy beer, lots of alcohol and a sweet, unbalanced finish. Tasty, but one is about all I yearn for at a time.

2.91/5  rDev -30.9%

Bottle cellared for about a year at 60 degrees.

Pours black with just a touch of deep red around the edges. Almost no head, and the little bit that's there quickly disappears leaving a brownish ring. Also, basically no lacing in a clean glass. Looks pretty much like oil in a glass. The smell is almost completely dominated by dark fruits. Even my girlfriend sitting next to me told me it smelled like I was drinking wine. There are also some hints of coffee (odd combination). Taste: Wine-like dark fruit taste up front; alcohol definitely there, but expected at 18%. This eventually fades a bit allowing some coffee and roasted malt notes to come through a bit, maybe some black licorice as well. Also some chocolate comes out as it warms. VERY sweet. Definitely let this one warm a bit. Very smooth and rich mouthfeel, not too carbonated, but not very drinkable either. Unique, but if I wanted this much of a wine taste (and smell) I would rather just drink wine....ok I would take beer over wine any day but not both at the same time. Loses points on taste for this wine-like bit that I don't care for quite as much as I suppose some do.

3.8/5  rDev -9.7%

12 oz. bottle. Bottled 10/10/06

Pours black with reddish hues and a half inch of brown head that quickly dissipates to a partial coating. Aroma is dominated by alcohol but also present are roasted malts, dark fruits, and some hints of coffee. The dark fruits are slightly more dominant than the roasted malts and at first this reminded me more of port than beer. As it warmed I was able to detect more roasted malts which balanced the aroma nicely. Taste is reminiscent of the aroma, however the alcohol is more of an afterthought while the dark fruits move to the forefront. Raisins and molasses are the 2 main flavors that I can detect here. Brown sugar and malts round out the flavor. Overall this brew is quite sweet and not particularly bitter. The dark fruits lend their flavor first then transition into an overall sweetness that lasts into the finish. The brew is full-bodied but not thick or overwhelming despite a high level of residual sweetness, carbonation is low despite a fizzy head. Overall this brew is certainly unique, enjoyable and definitely an experience. In terms of drinkability I simply can't rate this very high. I'm just not compelled to have another. The alcohol content is hidden amazingly well and results in a pleasant warming effect. So, would I recommend this? Sure, but at $9+ for a single bottle I won't be having this too often.

4.65/5  rDev +10.5%

Pours an utterly opaque Black with a capital B. Head is tiny, tight little bubbles forming a creamy quarter-inch skim on top, with lace forming a webby wall around the snifter.

Humungous sweet cream and cocoa powder aromas, port-like alcohol, dark cherries drunk on sherry and brandy...

Yowza...glad I like sweet beers, cuz this one is a tooth-rotter. Somehow it's not overboard, its sweetness given depth by dark chocolate, dark berry, fresh-cut wood, big vanilla and alcohol heat. Very creamy and milky in the mouth, like cream from the center of paradise. But also airy and weightless in the absolute best possible way. If there's such a thing as complex mouthfeel, I think this is it. I'd give a "5.5" if it were possible. So, the mouthfeel is absolutely spot-on excellent, while the flavor, though divine, carries some heat with it. But, being an 18% beer, they've done a great job in not making this feel like a blowtorch. Drinkability? Maybe just "good", because this is textbook-definition "special occasion" beer.

Took me forever to try this particular DFH offering, and though it was pricey, it's $8.99 well-spent. I toast this awesome brew to Portland, OR and msubulldog25, see you in 24 hours!!!

2.58/5  rDev -38.7%

My friend and I were very excited for this, as our appreciation for DFH is ever expanding and we have liked everything we've tried from them in the past. However, we tried World Wide Stout and were startled at how sweet it was. We couldn't finish our drinks. The smell is misleading- it is pleasently sweet (and you can definently smell the alcohol) but it does not prepare you for the taste. It is impressively dark and the mouthfeel is not bad, although it does coat the tongue just a bit too much, rather like syrup. Still, we could not get past the candy-like taste. Neither one of us is big into sweet drinks of any kind in general, but this was rather unpleasent.

Still, I forgive DFH as this has been the one misstep I've tasted from them.

4.08/5  rDev -3.1%

Pretty dark beer, I'd say it's black, totally opaque. The head is kind of mocha, sort of short and falling to a film. Bubbles form at the bottom of the glass, trapped there. Very rich color. The smells going on are mostly sweet, kind of like toffee with a hint of coffee. An alcohol smell drowns out anything else, dominating the nose. Taste is much the same as the smell, but with notes of hops and a more roasted taste, also some caramel.

This is really heavy and thick, very syrupy with a dry finish. I'd say it's too heavy for most people, not really allowing a casual or newcomer to stouts try it, but this was an amazing beer.

4.28/5  rDev +1.7%

I was able to get a few bottles of these in trades, this one is a 2005 vintage courtesy of leftmindedrighty. Thanks again!

Pours a dark flat black color with a nice off white head on top.

Aromas are sweet, almost hard candy like. There is some dark cocoa, and coffee notes as well.

Beer tastes of bitter chocolate, coffee, dark roasted malts, and with a sweet underlying creaminess. There is a hint of booziness, bitter hops and biting alcohol on the finish, but it is still surprisingly smooth for a 18% ABV beer.

Mouthfeel is nice and full. This has a thick and warming feel to it that is quite nice.

Drinkability is good, a bit of a shock for such a sturdy and flavorful beer. The alcohol is not nearly as overwhelming as I thought it might be. This is a warm, toasty, and smooth dark brew. A nice way to end the weekend.

3.45/5  rDev -18.1%

Time to review this one. Pours out deep brown, with a small tan head. Looks true to style. Nose is syrupy sweet burnt malts, alcohol, and toasted dark chocolate. Taste is burnt roasted malts, some sweet belgian qualities, more abstract sweetness, and alcohol on the end. Mouthfeel is decent but thinner than expected. Drinkability is hurt by the ABV and cloying flavors. Overall a decent stout, but perhaps over-hyped.

4.54/5  rDev +7.8%

Been eyeing this one for a while, but I haven't had a good excuse to pick it up at $9 per bottle. When I heard Michael Jackson died, I thought I'd raise a glass for him.

A- Pours a deep, dark opaque almost-black brown with a slight red tinge. A thin head rose on pouring with a mahogany brown color. Swirled around the glass, a sticky, heavy white lacing's left on the glass. Head disappears quite quickly.

S- Smells FANTASTIC. The grains smell fresh and lively, not like the burned and toasted flavors I was expecting. Robust chocolate, cherries, and dark berries intermingle with an alcohol scent that you've got to expect at 18.0% ABV.

T- As with the scent, there's a fair amount of alcohol, but I don't fault it because it mingles with a sweet bourbon flavor to taste great. Once again fresh berries come forward and leave a nice sweet note.

M- For a higher ABV beer, you know it won't be lively. Has a bit of a syrupy character, but not cloying. Very clean finish.

D- At first sip, I rated drinkability pretty weak due to the beer's strength, but it's warming, and I'm warming to it. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The clean finish is missing from similar beers, and that's what makes the next sip so welcome in this beer.

Rest in peace, Mr. Jackson -- Your dedication to the power of beer made beers like this one possible. You made the world a better place. Cheers.

3.68/5  rDev -12.6%

World Wide Stout pours a very dark brown with a light brown head from a brown twelve ounce bottle with a green cap. The aroma is sweet malt and a touch of alcohol. The taste is dominated by sweet malt, in fact, except for a hint of stout type flavors such as coffee, cocoa, and roasted barley, this could almost be the same beer as the 120 minute IPA, except there isn't much noticeable hop flavor here. In other words, it's big and sweet with noticeable alcohol, but with a hint of the flavors a stout typically has. Very interesting, not something I would drink often, and getting through an entire bottle would be tough (I split this one with a friend). Worth a try.

4.48/5  rDev +6.4%

Vintage 2004
A- Pours with a little less than a inch tan head on a pitch black body.
S- Dark fruits, strong alcohol, caramel malts, light burnt malt, chocolate, and one other thing I just can't pick out what it is.
T- Chocolate, light roasted malts, black currants, alcohol, some other kind of dark fruit all blended together really nicley and really complex. It has smoothed out and really come out nicley. Alcohol is still strong in back of throat. Light bitterness on tongue from either citrus or grass hops.
M- Full body with low carbonation.
D- It has aged very nicley and I would get this again. Still really hot and would like to see how it would hold up for a few more years. Very tasty but of course very strong.

4.62/5  rDev +9.7%

Appearance: Soda pop. Very thin, highly bubbly head falls away quickly. Pitch black and opaque.

Smell: Chocolate and caramel with some woody vanilla overtones. Alcohol is present on the nose, but subdued.

Taste: Huge roasted malt flavour, presenting mainly as bitter chocolate and charred coffee; some dried fruit and bourbon character. Sweet and bitter in perfect proportions. Sweetness falls away in the finish leaving vanilla, some piney hops, and maybe a bit of oak(?). Alcohol is noticeable, but not intrusive.

Mouthfeel: Thick and creamy, medium carbonation. Finish is slightly oily from the alcohol.

Drinkability: Huge beer, nicely done. Rich and complex, this is best sipped slowly; remember, there's a lot of alcohol in there.

4.47/5  rDev +6.2%

Appearance: This beer is black with no light passing through. A sudsy tan colored foam dissipates into a nice sticky lacing.

Smell: Very aromatic stout, lots of raison like sweetness, molasses and brown sugar, a little coffee and chocolate in the nose.

Taste: The beer attacks with raw sweetness, raison-like or molasses, huge brown sugar, again, very sweet, alcohol warmth, residual syrupy feel on the palette.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied and liquidy, a little sticky, hangs around. Almost like a brandy without the burn.

Drinkability: One of the sweetest and most alcoholic stouts out there, very delicious sipping brew, surprisingly easy to drink, surprisingly easy to get drunk.

Bottle dated October '06. Wow, this is serious. It's so heavy and strong that it doesn't even pour pitch black. It pours like a port wine, with a deep red hue, but has a thick, deep brown head like any good stout. The head was actually darker at the bottom and became lighter towards the top.

The smell is crazy, with a lot of alcohol, roasted malt, spice, and dark, sugary fruits as well as hints of espresso. Dark fruits and roasted malt really dominate and you can't help but vocalize that a few times before even taking a sip. These characteristics are present for the entire length of time the beer is in the glass, they don't fade when the head fades.

It really isn't as strong as you think, which is great. I was almost intimidated by this brew, but it has surprised me by being extremely well balanced. I'm sure a lot of the strength has been subdued from being almost a year old, but the flavors are so smooth yet so robust. It's almost like I'm chewing on fresh, roasted malt.

The mouthfeel and drinkability are off the charts. This is unlike any beer I've ever had and perfects every aspect of a beer. The carbonation is almost nonexistant which gives it an incredible, velvety smoothness. It's so complex and flavorful but not overwhelming and after a 12oz. bottle, it isn't filling and hasn't destroyed your taste buds. The one-time experience is worth the price of the bottle, which in my case was $8.99, so don't hesistate to pick it up. You'll find yourself trying to write a detailed review because you don't want to short-change such a great beer. And after you write your review, you still want to keep it to one word and you can't find any other word besides "wow." I have to give this beer a perfect 5.

4.4/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served in my Dogfish Head snifter, the World Wide Stout pours dark brown/black with a half inch brown head which goes away very quickly. It smells like roasted malt, chocolate, raisins, molasses and alcohol. The taste is pretty similar to the aroma. It's sweet, definitely a malt bomb but with a burnt wood taste too. Lingering aftertaste is bittersweet. Mouthfeel is medium/full, creamy, slick and coating. It leaves a nice warm feeling in my stomach! Drinkability is surprisingly good for an 18% beer. It's a sipper, but it's very smooth and easy to drink. I found myself drinking this a bit faster than I should have. Luckily I have another bottle I plan on aging another year or so. Overall I think this is a pretty good beer, definitely recommended.

3.71/5  rDev -11.9%

My second review of this, and i'm doing it again because i feel like the first time i was romanticising the beer somewhat. This time ill try to be totally honest. Pours thick, and excessively dark. Looks amazing. Smells of maple syrup, cocoa powder, chocolate malt and alcohol. Taste is extremely bitter for even a big olf imperial. It's almost caustic in its attack. Boozy and burning. Nutty and chocolately with hints of soy sauce. Syrupy and heavy bodied. Definitely and ass-kicker of a beer, and an experience but maybe too extreme to call it a good drinker (although you definitely enjoy it more as you drink more of it).

4.75/5  rDev +12.8%

I tasted this in comparison with Great Divide's Yeti "Oak Aged" and there was no comparison. The World Wide Stout provided incredible balance and flavor. When I first poured the beer, there was a creamy head which took up about the top 1/5 of the glass- just perfect. As black as night. Aromas of sweet malt, chocolate and mocha. The flavor was not dry, but in balance with the high alcohol. It almost remided me of a Belgian in that respect. This is a beer to savor, and the last sip leaves you longing for more. Outstanding!

4.33/5  rDev +2.9%

I really shouldn't be drinking this stout in the middle of the Summer, but I'd been looking forward to trying it for so long that I couldn't wait for the more appropriate cooler weather of Fall. The beer pours as black as black can be with a good half inch head that recedes slowly. Very strong aromas of roasted malts, dark chocolate and hops waft in my nose. The taste is a mix of espresso coffee, burnt currants, bitter chocolate and alcoholic warmth. Mouthfeel is very rich and full bodied. This is almost like sipping on a fine Madeira. The drinkability is excellent in that the strong alcohol blends in perfectly with the other flavors of the beer. I could probably down two of these in one sitting if I nursed them slowly, but I'd probably regret it in the morning. Excellent beer and highly recommended if you can find some.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
World Wide Stout from Dogfish Head Brewery