World Wide Stout - Dogfish Head Brewery

World Wide StoutWorld Wide Stout

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  18.00% ABV

Brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley, World Wide Stout is dark, rich, roasty and complex. This Ageable Ale clocks in at 15-20% ABV and has a depth more in line with a fine port than with a can of cheap, mass-marketed beer.

(Beer added by: Todd on 01-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of World Wide Stout Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +3.1%

The appearance is like a stout, the aroma is a strong stout's, full of coffee and dates, but the first mouthful is a shock - a spluttering amount of alcohol, more like a dark rum than a beer. Everything hangs together very well, but even a small bottle is too much, and best shared with someone else. Catherine the Great supposedly loved extra-strong stouts - she would have swapped Alaska for this one. Personally I'd love to cook with this beer . . . World Wide Stout chocolate truffles, for example . . .

Martyartie, Jan 29, 2004

I like high ABV beers, and I like Imperial stouts - but this one was just too much for my palate. Very little carbonation it just sat in the glass with no head. Kind of a sour smell and I'm not sure how to descibe the taste, but it wasn't good. It was an interesting experiment to drink one, but I won't be buying another.

Hex92, Jan 25, 2004
3.33/5  rDev -20.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

First of all, I would suggest drinking this warm. The strong alcohol smell and taste aren't so strong when it's warmer.

Very dark beer with little head. The strong alcohol smell covers up a lot of the other smells. There was a strong alcohol flavor also, but once it dissipated, I was able to taste a chocolaty flavor. It was definitely sweet. The mouthfeel was like liquor, rather than a beer. I shared this beer and it took me a long time to finish, which gave me the opportunity to taste it warm. I liked it much better warm, but still hard to drink.

barleysangel, Jan 25, 2004
4.22/5  rDev +0.5%

Vim & Vigor blacked out on the label, so I think what I'm drinking is the 2002 vintage. Very black, with a slight carbonation that produces a quickly disappearing head. The nose is full of raisins, dried fruit and molasses. with a slight alcohol/whiskey note. Very sweet tasting, with a nice warming effect from the alcohol and a slightly smokey/bitter finish. Mouthfeel is interesting - quite thin actually, with very small bubbles of carbonation. This beer is not that drinkable because of it's strength, and I wish that it came in a smaller bottle. It's pretty much impossible to drink 12oz of a 24% ABV drink and not get pretty tipsy. Share it with a (good!) friend!

ColForbin, Jan 23, 2004
2.88/5  rDev -31.4%

I've been waiting for this one for over a year now. Cheers to kevin for sending me this one.

It's what you'd expect: blackest liquid you'll ever drink. Smells of stout and alcohol. Tastes, while complex, are just dominated by alcohol. This stuff is 23%! It goes into the ridiculous, and should probably be packaged in 4 oz. bottles. Good for wintertime anyway...

Share it with a friend. Cheers to the DFH guys for brewing something like this.

benmiliron, Jan 15, 2004
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

It pours an inky, dark, dark brown, that might just as well be jet black. No light gets through, and for all I know, maybe even neutrinos cannot pass. A thick light tan head bustles forth, quickly settling to a shallow crater of froth, thicker at the edges where it meets the glass. There are moderate thin fingers of lacing.

The aroma is dense, and sweet, sweet malt, almost honey-like, and swirls with sinewy vapors of alcohol. There are cherry and currant notes as well, and a grainy, woody impression along the center. A gentle aura of mildly bitter hops round out the olfactory presentation.

The flavor is, initially, a muscular and grainy berry/cherry sweetness, almost like wishniak soda, and bordering on cloying, but stopping short of that undesireable appelation. Sugary currant notes slip in, only to quickly fade and expose the herculean backbone of alcohol. Flat, earthy elements glide toward the end, giving way to the slightest bitterness of hops at the finish. The overall flavor is heavy and in some ways extreme, but it's balanced in nicely interesting proportions.

Slick and treacly, the heavy bodies beer slips and slides and coats, like sweet napalm. It delivers an almost tangibly chewy texture, likened in my mind to caramel candy.

I lick my lips, and they're sweet, almost as though I'd just had a dose of cough syrup. Now that's SWEET! But no cough syrup can deliver the extra levels of flavor exhibited here. It's not cloying, but rather sweet as part of the whole, not for its own sake. Unlike some other sweet, high ABV DFH offerings, this brew brings a more round and well-developed multi-dimensional flavor in which the elements don't blur each other, showing more maturity and character. I'd truly fear going overboard with this, as I would candy, because the aforementioned high ABV is a real red flag of caution. But, I will say that one a day would go a long way toward blissfully satisfying any sweet tooth I might delelop.

Foxman, Jan 14, 2004
4.35/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

Pous ink balck with ecru head that starts big, dissipates at a fairly slow pace and leaves medium level of remnants on the glass. Aroma is black licorice, alcohol, peat, dark malts and some dark fruit in the background. Unbelievably smooth and creamy mouthfeel. Taste of roasted barley, prunes, licorice like sugar, scotch and a little bit of charcoal at the end. Really alcoholic kick at the back end. Flavors hide the alcohol well but it is very noticeable. My only issue with this beer is that it's too alcoholic. If they kicked it down to 15%, I bet they would have an even better beer that you could have more than one of.

CRJMellor, Jan 07, 2004
4.8/5  rDev +14.3%

Beer cannot get darker or more omminous than this. I've renamed this brew "Mordor Stout" for the shear blackness and severity of the brew. Poured it into a roboust challice, was afraid that a lesser glass would shatter at the addition of this elixir. The stout poured the deepest black I have ever seen. You'd have to be blindfolded in an unlit cave in the deepest reaches of the earth to find something more black. Smell was complex. The high alcohol was obvious, as was the overall complexity of the brew. First taste was overwhelming - this is a complicated brew. Notes and hints of a liquor in the interweaving of massive hops and malts, but still definately a brew. This is a beer to be enjoyed slowly. It goes to eleven. I've split ONE of this fine beverages between three friends, and no one was dissapointed at consuming 4oz of brew. This beer is THAT good.

sideshowrob, Jan 05, 2004
4.3/5  rDev +2.4%

One of my New Years Eve beers, this had the label with the famous "Vim and Vigor" crossed out with a magic marker. (I'm surprised the bureaucrats let them put "and a sense of purpose" on the Raison d'Etre labels, but I digress...)

It poured with a dark maroon body and a tan head that disappeared immediately, as you might expect with this big an ABV. Aromas were alcohol, charcoal, and fruit. Taste was almost overwhelmingly cherry cough syrup, along with coffee, sugar, port wine, alcohol. The mouthfeel was syrupy, with a light carbonation. The finish was smooth malt and cherry. Very drinkable, doesn't feel like 23% ABV until after it's gone. Then, you're wasted! (especially after preceding this with a full bomber of Vertical Epic '03!!!) A Happy New Year, indeed!

WaltTrombone, Jan 04, 2004
4.47/5  rDev +6.4%

Broke down and spent the $7.99 for a 12 oz. bottle. Let it warm up a bit and poured it into a wide chalis. It was black with barely any head except for spotty residue. Expected this with the higher alcohol content. The aroma is wonderful, candy sweet with licorice tones. You are warned of the high alcohol level through the nose.

The flavor is complex. Malt levels are huge making this very sweet. Other flavors I picked out were coffee, licorice, honey, prunes, and chocolate. Very smooth mouthfeel, almost creamy. Thick bodied and alcohol level is very noticeable. Drinkability is down a notch due to the high alcohol levels. This is a special occasion type of beer, and it will take a while to finish. I was still trying to understand the flavors I was experiencing all the way through the last drop.

Gavage, Jan 04, 2004

2003 bottling.
Appearance: Insideous, inky-dark, light-sucking blackness... as if peering into the depth of the hoary netherworld. More carbonation than I expected, with a slightly broken 1/8" creamy espresso cap and generous smatterings of gooey, drippy lace.
Smell: Malt,malt,malt! Roasty/toasty/smokey. Fusel alcohol menaces but does not overpower. Licorace, espresso/french roast coffee, candied dark fruits. A distinct buttery/banana softness rounds out the initial alcohol harshness. Hints of bitter chocolate, and oakey/vinous notes. Superb!
Taste & Mouthfeel: STUNNING! This is perhaps the most intriguing brew taste I've encountered. Are we sure this isn't Imperial Stout? Viscous, lush, chewey (knife/fork/lobster-bib chewey) sweet creamy malt with caramelized/burnt sugars, candied/alcohol stewed raisins, plums, cherries at the front. Carbonation level is low and finely bubbled... perfection. The top is rich with malt slickness and a burning then soothing alcohol warmth. Although my unworthy palate couldn't detect the hops, I trust they are there as the finish dries considerably leaving a soothing warmth, oaky/roast coffee bitterness and semi-dry molasses/plum aftertaste.
Drinkability: Based on what I'd read about this beer, I was afraid of it. I can honestly say that I could not put it down and was constantly aware that the 12 ounces would soon be over. Entirely drinkable... I will buy as many more as I can afford tomorrow. This beer (in any vintage I can find) will be my Christmas & New Year's choice for years to come. If it were possible to rate it higher, I would. Dogfish Head... you guys are gods (I'm not worthy!). Beer review #100 for me: I couldn't have made a better choice. Excuse me, I have to go change and take up smoking...

DagFishHead, Jan 03, 2004
4.6/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured thickly into a Duvel Tulip with an mahogany-brown color. Once poured color is inpenetrable black, with small sluggish bubbles emerging from the middle like gas escaping from a swamp. Aromas of alcohol, sweet coffee and caramel waft from my glass. It is difficult to pierce the veil of alcohol to obtain the other aromas...no matter how far I stick my nose into the glass. But wait, now I smell a trace of red wine...now a dry chocolate and grains... there are other things fighting thier way out.

Now to taste..what the hell is this!!!? it is quite sweet, but this falls off quickly to reveal a quamire of other subtle stouty coffee/chocolate flavors, raisins, and HONEY. My throat warms as the alcohol travels downward. I am now reminded of a dessert wine like a high residual sugar gewertztriminer. Gets better as it warms. Its hard to rate such a unusual concoction. Some hoppy bitterness is present but could be stronger I think. Oh!!! But wait... Now that it is warm, it definately port-like. Yes! It is a port! And a good one at that. I smell brandy! Wow. Mouthfeel is thick and velvet as you would suspect. Drinkability is pretty good considering but too sweet for a beer...like the 120 minute. But if you consider this as a port, it is quite drinkable. I would recommend serving like a port, perhaps a quarter or half pint a person. This is genious...how did they get an ale to taste like a fully-fleshed port??? A great contribution from Dogfish head. This should not be called a stout... it should fall into a new style category called "port ales". Try it and be perplexed!

HiroProtagonist, Dec 28, 2003
4.93/5  rDev +17.4%

This beer is totally worth the trouble I had to go to to get it!

It pours with hardly any head and is a deep black color. The scent is like a good red wine, fruity with a touch of alcohol. (imagine that) This tastes fantastic! It is sweet and spicy....coffee and maybe caramel aftertaste. It IS sweet, though not overpoweringly so . This has more carbonation than expected. It feels all bubbly and smooth in the mouth and doesn't bite at the throat like one would expect with such a high ABV.

This beer is so drinkable you could easily down several. This wouldn't be too wise though! It is smooth and flavorful. I simply love this beer and encourage you to try it!

Thank you Dogfish Head!!

babyhobbes, Dec 24, 2003
3.48/5  rDev -17.1%

The beer pours dark not opaque black in a white wine glass with basically no head. The aroma is firm and complex, extremely malty with plenty of molasses, toffee and prunes. We also notice the alcohol in there, but would of course never say 23%, making us believe this could be around 12% is an art by itself. The taste is also relatively complex, but way too sweet, almost harsh candy. The mouthfeel is full and a definition of syrupy: toffee, cinammon, vanilla, chocolate and coffee and an alcoholic malt finish. Definitely more on the barley wine side, but the sweetness is too overpowered for me to really appreciate this beer although I recognize it is a must-live beer experience that I won't forget so soon.

Rastacouere, Dec 16, 2003
4.85/5  rDev +15.5%

Courtesy of From The Vine in Lewis Center, OH. 2003 Bottle: Pours a viscous black color with a thin milk chocolate-brown head. Very little head retention and thin lacing. Powerful alcohol in the nose right off the bat, with a nice underlying roasted malt and chocolate character. The body is big and rich, with a complex blend of chocolate, malt, coffee and plum in the flavor. The finish is where the light alcohol burn reminds you it hasn't gone anywhere since the initial whiff. There is some bitter coffee in the finish as well. Overall this is a really good Imperial that will be fantastic if aged a bit.

Dogbrick, Dec 16, 2003
4.75/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours out a blackish cola color settles inky black with thin little brown highlights at the edges, no head or lace was produced but not necessarily anticipated due to the 23% ABV.

Aroma is largely warming and candy sweet alcohol, port-like dark fruitness within; between each breath of heat resides some raisin, dark cherry, dates, currant, molasses, cocoa, and chocolate, touches of spice too but the sweetness of candy-like oakyness and brandyish alcohol retains on top with strength maintaining a nice portly bouquet.

Taste is super full and oily thick with nice deepness of sweet port-like alcohol, very warming and soothingly rich, lots of barley sweetness, candyish and strong, playful but with a certain flare of aggresion that lets you know if you get out of line it'll lay you out flat. Flavors are sweet, deep, rich and invigorating, good amount of dark fruityness with more raisin then anything, mixing with some dates, black cherry, and currants, molasses and vanilla notes with oakened sweetness and some touches of chocolate, cocoa, and espresso. Oh...and the warming, oh the warming, so very nice... meltingly nice.

Feel is rich and full, warming, somewhat puckering sweet but maintains a great smooth oily-like creamyness with a favorable punch of good Ol' alcoholic burn and sweetness in the end. Quite a ride with this one, lots of everything; surely a major sipper but it has a dangerously smooth chararter that thankfully keeps its alcoholic edge as to keep you in check. Great, great stuff, akin to Sam Adams Triple Bock.

Super big holiday cheer and thanks goes to jeffboo for this gem!!

tavernjef, Dec 15, 2003

This version formed a small, very dark tan head that left some tracelace. An aroma of coffee, chocolate and plum, but not as strong as the 18% version. The flavor was an interesting mix of coffee, chocolate plum and cherry, but once again, not as good as the 18%. A hint of alcohol, but not bad considering it's % level. The finish was light for the style and sweet with a slightly burnt aspect. Supposedly, they have redone the most recent batch according to the website so that it is closer to the 18 % version. I still do not think it was as good, but then it may need some again. But at the price level, I can think of other beers that would be a better cellaring investment.

Wildman, Dec 08, 2003
3.93/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours extremely dark and carries with it, little head. Smells of malts, chocolate, and some alcohol. Tastes almost sweet with some fruity hints, but the alcohol is still slightly there. Has very interesting tastes that work well together. Probably not worth the money it cost, but it did get a little buzz just from the one bottle.

abents, Dec 08, 2003
3.65/5  rDev -13.1%

An imperial stout? Mine poured a mahogany brown with nary a head to show. I wondered if someone had been drinking milk from my pint glass. The nose was of alcohol and roasted malts. The mouthfeel confirmed the ridiculous amounts of barley in the brew, but the flavors of coffee and tannins left rather too quickly and left me with the taste of elevated ABVs. A fairly decent bitter back end, and a nice warm feel in my chest. I was looking for less of an barleywine flavor and more of a thick creamy stout.

counselor, Dec 07, 2003
3.98/5  rDev -5.2%

After realizing I'd recently spent $7 at a sporting event for a 12 oz cup of Redhook ESB, I finally sprung for an $8 bottle of WWS. It pours inky black. The head explodes initially and then leaves little islands of bubbles as it starts to fade. Eventually, the entire head disappears leaving only interminable darkness. The smell is noticeably sweet, with notes of raisin and molasses and just a bit of chocolate. It doesn't have much of that wonderful roasted malt smell or taste. The taste, in fact, is a bit sweeter than expected but an overwhelming alcohol taste is not a problem. The 21% abv is well-hidden. This was an interesting experiment, but the next time I want a high-octane stout, I'll buy a 4-pack of Old Rasputin or a 750 of Speedway Stout for the same money.

mickeymac, Dec 02, 2003
4.88/5  rDev +16.2%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle with the words "vim and vigor" marked out in black. Packaged in date on the side with a notch just below and to the right of the 10, with no year indication.

Appearance: Deep, dark tawny port color with a minute head covering that quickly fades with noticable carbonation. No lacing in the tradional beer scence, however this brew does have great legs like a big wine or port. Much more viscous than a normal beer, where the beer itself clings the side of the glass.

Smell: Raisons, dates, figs, port, and brandy alcohol dominate the nose with a big barley finish. This begs to be sampled with desert by the farm on a cold day and promises to warm your entire body with just a sip.

Taste: Delivers on everything the aroma promises and more. Big fruit and port flavors followed by a wonderful flood of barley and malt. The warming begins on the tongue the instant it hits your mouth and slowly moves its way over your entire body down to your toes. The mouthfeel is an incredible combination of viscous coating and bubbly carbonation that warms the mouth and sooths the sole.

The only minus on the drinkability is the ABV, but I would rather have this than port with desert anyday of the week and I would wager that it would age for many, many years to come.

Note: I would however rather see this fine brew come in a re-corkable, bigger bottle like a port so it could be enjoyed over, and over again. I guess I just have to get numerous bottles!

Loki, Nov 29, 2003

Presentation: 2003 Issue. A 12 fluid ounce bottle with the usual Dogfish Head style brown label, yet for the WWS03, the DFH symbol is set against a darker blue-purple background than the previous two years. Described on the label simply as, “A very dark beer brewed with a ridiculous amount of barley”. The nicked Months on the previous 01 & 02 labels left have now been replaced with years and “Packaged 03, 04, 05, 06”. A dark copper colored crown cap completes the look.

Appearance: Jet black and very dark, as with previous years it has a solid impenetrable body. I used my McEwan’s Scotch Goblet. No head at first until half-way through the pour into glass when the carbonation suddenly comes out of solution. A thin brown head is formed at first, but this soon concludes to just a halo ring finish with the merest thin bubbled brown whisp on the blackened surface.

Nose: Dark fruits, pungent oily alcohols, chocolate and some sweet molasses. Still developing I think.

Taste: Warming alcohols start the experience, smoother than expected. Rich and sweet at times, this one will most certainly get much better I feel. Nice thick syrup of figs finish that slowly warms. The simple tastes have yet to organize themselves into a complex structure as past years.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation certainly helps deflect the alcohol, and lends extra smoothness to the body. Dark fruits stick to the cheeks, Dates & mushed Figs whish in the stereotypical WWS warming, thick, rich, syrupy mouth. Still a very smooth beer all round.

Drinkability: Much smoother than the 2002, and more akin to the Drinkability of the 2001. At 21.0% ABV it wasn’t that hard to finish the 12 ounces which is an accomplishment.

Overall: Very nice, but I still prefer the 2001 version. I have 2 bottles of this – and wanted to try one of them "fresh" for comparison before I hit the other bottle in a year or so. Maybe it will be worth the $7+ price tag in a year or two, but it’s not worth it now.

TheLongBeachBum, Nov 29, 2003
4.38/5  rDev +4.3%

Deep dark black opeque look with lots of bubbles in the glass (dogfish Head stemmed Goblet) Nice coco colored head on the pour leaves quickly and a tan sheen is left behind with a sticky outer ring that clings to the sides. Rich sweet brown sugar, berry (blueberry), warm nose. Wonderfull smooth taste of dark fruits (fig, plum) initially is then touched by expresso, hops, and jelly beans.. A sweeter stout but the brew is balenced enough to not be too sweet... I really enjoy the richness of the brew. It is like holding your daughter... intoxicating in its warmth and sweetness... sugar and spice and everything nice. Lively thickish soft textured mouth. Slight roasty aftertaste on a dry tongue. A high quality end of meal.. or night cap beer...I have one for the cellar.. and will update this review in a few years..

frank4sail, Nov 27, 2003
3.83/5  rDev -8.8%

12oz. bottle.

Pours a deep black with a small tan head. The head promply disappears. Little to no lacing. The scents are strong at first. Heavy malt, alcohol and damp tobacco. Interestingly and sadly the scents become weak and lose their boldness. I am confused by this occurance.

The flavors are somewhat sweet for me. Too much syrup and molassas. There is a charred bitter coffee flavor which I like but it is gone too quickly. A carmel flavor adds more sweet textures. Some spices, rum and an alcohol burn. The alcohol makes its presence more in the aftertaste than in the beginning of the sip. Overall the flavors present themselves as an extremely heavy sweet dessert wine or sweet port.

Thick and creamy. There is an unpleasant slick feeling. Alcohol burns a little, but for the most part it blends well. The alcohol is nice and warming. It drinks pretty easy and smooth.

I liked this stout for the most part but I just found it to be overly sweet for me.

I guess this stout is hyped up because it has a very high alcohol content. It is good and well crafted but I did not find anything about it that makes me want to run out and buy more. In fact at $7.50 a bottle I am glad I only bought the one. I think there are many better stouts out there for a lot less money.

Rumrunner, Nov 18, 2003
3.85/5  rDev -8.3%

On tap at Blind Tiger, NYC Dogfish Head Pumpkin debut thingy

Appearance/Head: Very dark, not a lot of head but understandable at 23%.

Aroma: This aroma has a heavy presence. It is smoky, sweet, and rich.

Taste: This brew has an amazing body. It has the thickness and sweetness of a fruit syrup. It starts with a heavy sweetness and finishes without much of a balanced hoppyness. It has a strong port-like finish with heavy notes of blackstrap molasses and golden raisins.

Bottom line: This is one powerful brew. Unique enough to seek out, but not balanced or drinkable enough to be considered of the top Imperial Stouts.

skar, Nov 09, 2003