Chateau Jiahu - Dogfish Head Brewery

Chateau JiahuChateau Jiahu

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  10.00% ABV

Let's travel back in time again for another Dogfish Head Ancient Ale (Midas Touch was our first foray and Theobroma our most recent). Our destination is 9,000 years ago, in Northern China! Preserved pottery jars found in the Neolithic villiage of Jiahu, in Henan province, have revealed that a mixed fermented beverage of rice, honey and fruit was being produced that long ago, right around the same time that barley beer and grape wine were beginning to be made in the Middle East!

Fast forward to 2005. Molecular archaeologist Dr. Patrick McGovern of the University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology calls on Dogfish Head to re-create another ancient beverage, and Chateau Jiahu is born.

In keeping with historic evidence, Dogfish brewers use brown rice syrup, orange blossom honey, muscat grape, barley malt and hawthorn berry. The wort is fermented for about a month with sake yeast until the beer is ready for packaging.

(Beer added by: marburg on 06-15-2005)
3.4/5  rDev -9.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Tasting at biegaman's place with grub, viggo, lexx, blankboy (RB), and tupalev (RB). I didn't write down who brought what, unfortunately, so thanks everyone! (Oh wait, I brought this one...)

Poured a surprisingly pale yellow, almost like a white wine, into the sample glass. Honey and fresh fruit aromas, grapes and apples mostly. Flavour is more sweet honey with very little carbonation, with some pears, sweet apples, and red grapes. Long-lasting cloying aftertaste and a thickly oily mouthfeel.

Not something I'd want to drink often, or even a whole bottle of, but not bad and worth trying!

4.13/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottle courtesy of Diagathyramb. Thanks angain!

Shared with a friend who likes good beer. Though this isn't really much like a "beer".

Pours a cloudy light gold color with a faint white head. Looks a lot like an unfiltered wheat.

Smells flowery, of honey, and with notes of citrus fruit.

Tastes quite sweet, must be from the muscat grapes. A definite citrus fruit like quality, honey flavor is noticed as well. Beer has a crisp bright and dry finish, with a bit of warming alcohol like feeling. Certainly an interesting beer to taste.

Mouthfeel is very nice. Very full bodied, and it's coats the mouth quite nicely.

A very easy and interesting beer to drink. A bit of novelty, not sure if I'd pay the steep price they charge for this. But more kudos to Dogfish Head for brewing these creative beers!

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

The beer was served in a wide mouthed wine goblet.

Appearance: The beer pours as hazy golden coloration. The head was white and about 2.5 fingers high. The head had no retention and quickly resolved to a ring of foam. White flecks of floating sediment are suspended in the beer.

Smell: This beer has a very sweet smell. The beer leads with an unknown fruity sweetness (could this be the hawthorne fruit?), honey, raisins, assorted peppery spiceyness. Bottom line I really like the aroma of this beer.

Taste: The beer is really sweet honey, fruity flavors of unknown origin, raisin / grapes, a pleasant spicey combinaton of pepper and alcohol combined with pleasing earthyness. The finish of the beer is dry inspite of the sweetness. This is a very pleasing beer. I want more!

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The body of the beer is on the light side. I think I would like a bit more carbonation to this brew. The beer is very easy to drink and as stated previously stated I want more. This 750 ml bottle passed very quickly. Thanks DFH for yet one more envelope pushing beer!

4.38/5  rDev +16.2%

Appearance: Pours a hazy golden color with a modest head that quickly declines to a film but leaves some splotches of lace around the chalice

Smell: Bananas and honey with subtle undertones of one of the more expensive sakes I have tried; fortified grape aromatics as well

Taste: Starts with a rice pudding flavor that is quickly joined by the banana and honey aspects; all of those flavors blend nicely by mid-palate; after the swallow, the grape flavors kick in and are joined by a subtle herbaciousness that creeps in that I cannot identify but must be the hawthorn and chrysanthemum

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and creamy with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: I approached this with some trepidation as Dogfish Head has been hit or miss with me; but this one knocks it out of the park; well-blended with tremendous complexity

3.85/5  rDev +2.1%

A really neat label, although I can't help but think the tattoo on the lower back of the seductive lady on the front has become fashionable only recently. Then again I doubt they had modern bottling lines then either, so whatever. I assume all aspects are true to the 9000 year old recipe, maybe.
A very, very clouded and sullied appearance. Most of the head fades out quickly. A tangerine orange colour. Complex aroma of bananas, strong suggestion of tropical fruit, heavy sweetness, muscat grapes at the forefront. Flavour is deliciously sweet (the sake yeast maybe?). A little champagne sweetness only without the carbonation. The flavours are lovely and well blended.
Another neat alternative to "beer" as we're used to it and something that would make a lovely 'thank you' or 'hostess' gift that you could bring to a party and enjoy over the course of a social evening.
Thanks to crwills for this treat!

4.1/5  rDev +8.8%

Radiant tangerine-amber that looks like a perfect mixture of orange juice and pineapple juice. The head is no slouch either. It's either dark ivory or pale ecru, with a firm look rather than a creamy one. Only a semi-quick descent, a complete lack of rockiness and a near-complete lack of lace keep the appearance from a higher score.

The nose is fantastic. I can definitely appreciate the Muscat grape juice and I'm pretty sure I can pick out the wildflower honey, but beyond that I'm lost. Of course, it's difficult when you have no idea what hawthorn fruit or chrysanthemums smell (or taste) like. There's also a mild funkiness, complemented by a light spiciness, that reminds me of a Belgian saison.

I'm glad the flavor profile takes after the aroma, more or less. With a richer, creamier, more expansive mouthfeel (think world-class tripel), Chateau Jiahu would be a much better beer. It's still damn good, just not *as* good as the outstanding beer lurking just beneath the surface.

White grape juice and honey continue to co-star on the taste buds. It's no surprise, then, that the beer is on the sweet side. That means that I need take it slowly, but then I have the rest of the night to finish the '750'. Something is giving the beer an earthy fruitiness, so I might as well attribute it to the hawthorn fruit. Still no floweriness, though. I wonder if I'm imagining fresh pineapple.

The mouthfeel has a fruit pulp lush stickiness that I love. Again, more carbonation, properly used, would have sent it into the stratosphere. This beer cries out for a Belgian brewer's touch. The silver lining is that fewer bubbles will help me get through the bottle with relative ease.

I never know what to expect from one of Dogfish Head Craft Brewery's experimental ales. Midas Touch, to use but one example, was less than compelling. Chateau Jihau is another matter entirely. It has an interesting back story and is, much more importantly, delicious beer. It probably doesn't much resemble what the Chinese were drinking 9000 years ago, but it's fun to pretend. I have no regrets about spending $8.99 for the bottle.

2.9/5  rDev -23.1%

Thanks to Texindy for this one.

750 ml bottle poured into a large 23 oz mug. The initial poured had a fizzy white head that receded to a thin ring. Color was a hazy golden yellow with mild carbonation activity. On the second pour, there was a large amount of sediment which left the color cloudy and opaque.
Smell was sweet with honey and had additional floral/herbal qualities. Taste followed smelled, but seemed to mellow as it warmed.
Mouthfeel was a light/medium body. It had the consistency of hot tea with a lot of honey mixed in.
I would recommend letting this sit before drinking. This was an interesting experiment, and I'm glad I got to try it, though I feel no need to come back.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours a slightly hazey golden color with coarse and quickly dissapating head.

A strong sweet honey aroma dominates the nose along with a strange peppery aroma. Those aromas fade into a sort of floral aroma.

Very sweet flavor right off the bat, honey and flowers dominate. There is a slight grainey flavor near the end. Once swallowed the alcohol content becomes apparent as it burns in your stomach.

This is one unique brew, I don't think I'll buy it again, but interesting none the less.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Split a 750ml bottle of this while watching a good Hong Kong movie.

Appearance: Very hazy, pale golden - almost like a witbier or hefeweizen in color and haziness. In terms of head, very meager - little retention, no lacing.

Smell: Interesting for sure: sweet-smelling fruitiness, but not sickly at all. Better than expected aroma.

Taste: Also better than expected - much better than the Midas Touch, in my opinion. This one is vinous, with some spice and herb notes. Fruit. Very different kind of malt character. Not too sweet, despite the lack of hops.

Mouthfeel: Light-medium body, carbonation okay.

Drinkability: Surprisingly good for such a strange beer. The story is a plus, too.

3.95/5  rDev +4.8%

Not sure what style of beer Im comparing this to for my rating, but basically my standards were set low for this "9000 year old" style, mostly since Im a big fan of hops... With that said, I was very impressed by this re-creation.

The color is really cool- can't remember another beer looking quite like this. A light cloudy orange with a tinge of brown. There is some decent foam and lacing.

Smells sugary for sure, but much more- honey and heather with grape and spice.

Sweet honey-like malt flavor with dryish grape/cider notes. Fairly balanced finish (there is a bittering finish) with some sweetness dominating.

This is not much unlike some Belgian brews being produced today.

4.22/5  rDev +11.9%

Well, this is pretty cool. I haven't the foggiest idea how to review this "beer," if we can even call it that, but here goes. I think white wine is perhaps the best frame of reference in which to review this, so I'll compare it to a dry chardonnay.

Poured it into a wine glass, and it looked more like champagne than beer. I'm not a big champagne fan at all, so this was a little worrisome. The head was a champagne-like fizz. How am I supposed to know what the standard for appearance was in 7000 B.C. in beverages of this type? I'll punt and and give an "average" rating for appearance.

Smell is quite nice. Smells like a chardonnay, but better, as there's a sweetness coming through that the dry chards usually don't exhibit. I smell some malted barley, but this is largely a wine-like smell.

Taste calls to mind a sweeter, less dry chard, as the smell would suggest. However, this blows most Chards I've had out of the water, and I'm actually a chardonnay fan. I'm a sucker for honey...put honey in anything and I'll slobber all over myself. Love that honey...I can definitely taste that component of this beverage. A lot like a Midas Touch, but this shouldn't come as a surprise. There's something else in there, though. Honey, chard grapes, light barley backbone...I notice a slight bitterness that can't possibly come from any hops. This must be the hawthorn fruit and/or crysanthemum flowers...again, I'll punt, because I haven't the slightest idea what these two things taste like. I'm pretty sure that's what I'm tasting, but I just can't describe it so well, since I have no frame of reference. Sake yeast? Yes, I do detect a note of sake. There's a lot of subtle stuff going on here. Bottom line...this is freakin' tasty.

Mouthfeel is a little thin after it sits for a couple minutes - this seems to lose its carbonation quickly, so drink up.

Drinkability is quite good. It goes down easily, as it is less harsh and dry than a white wine. DFH seems to specialize in these wine-like brews, to awesome effect...this is another one that has the potential to show wine drinkers exactly what "beer" can do. Pricey, yes, but you should try this at least once if you can find it.

4.45/5  rDev +18%

I really wish there were a scoring section for uniqueness, because this is about as unique as it gets. Deep cloudy yellow with lacing that refuses to die, despite being almost but not quite free of carbonation. Smells yeasty and lemony. Tastes like yeast and honey, not unlike mead that was incompletely fermented.

Honey-sweet enough to be flawlessly drinkable, but yeasty enough to not be cloying. You could seriously build a civilization around this beer. A must try.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

This beer pours a slightly pale golden yellow color, with a decent sized off white colored head. The head fades sort of quickle, leaving very little lacing.

This beer has a strong flowery aroma. It smells of earthy yeasty muskness. It has a sweet honey aroma as well. It has a slight clovey aroma. Some citrus aroma is also present.

This beer tastes very complex. It has a flowery flavor. It tastes very sweet. It also has a slightly grainey taste that reminds me of a saison. I think that there are a lot of flavors, and they are all strong, and that makes this beer a little hard to drink.

This complex beer leaves a very sweet, flowery aftertaste. It is highly carbonated.

I doubt this beer would make a great session beer. It has a very aggressive flavor that would become very hard to drink after a few. The alcohol content is a little high also.

Overall: Thanks go out to ggaughan for hooking me up with this beer. Thanks again for a great trade.

3.93/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours a pretty cloudy orange golden color with a small active head of small white bubbles. The head was gone really quickly. There were quite a few bubbles rising, but they don't stick to maintain the head.

Aroma: Now this is an interesting aroma. I am not quite sure how to pick all of this stuff out. I get a citrusy complexity that reminds me of mandarin oranges along with a raw bread crusts type of grainy impression. I also get a defined floral bouquet that is also hard to put my finger on...I can pick what seems like lavender, but different. I also get a sweet honeysuckle type aroma that is unusual, but blends.

Taste: Wow! This beer is something else...if you can call it beer. There is a truly defined sweetness that pretty much runs the show. The citrusy floral component that was in the nose seems to be what is balancing the sweetness. There is a subtle spiciness here that is also balancing the sweetness, but it is somewhat of a struggle. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a good bit of carbonation to balance the beer and make it lighter on the palate. There is a mild warming in the finish to allude to the beers strength, as well as a euphoria that seems to set in rather quickly.

Opinion: This is an interesting experiment. It comes across to me a bit like their Midas Touch in that it seems to be as much of a carbonated wine as a beer. The sweetness is a bit much in this beer, and the spices don’t balance it, but challenge it. I like the complexity of the flavors and how it is difficult to pick out any one thing in particular. This is a pretty good drink, but I can't imagine that I will be making a habit out of drinking this. I think that regarding these wine/beers, I like the Midas better. Still, keep it up, Sam!

3.78/5  rDev +0.3%

Recieved in a trade with JasonM.

Poured a hazy yellow much like a hefeweizen or an apple cider. Little head to speak of. Smells of grapes and honey, pears, perhaps of licorice as well. Taste is sweet, but not sweetened if that makes sense. Has a bit of rice flavor to it. Mouthfeel is nice and mellow, a bit dry, perhaps as a result of using the sake yeast. Overall, a nice and unusual brew. Definitely worth a try, but some others may be put off by the fact that it doesn't really taste like anything else I can think of. Quite different from the other DFH brews.

3.53/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Chateau Jiahu pours a hazy golden color with a white head from a brown 25.6 ounce bottle. The aroma is dominated by grape. The taste is also of grapes, with a beery aftertaste. Definitely kind of an odd beer, worth a try if you like this sort of thing.

3.73/5  rDev -1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - pours with a cloudy, almost pinkish cast. It's not pink though, it is a bright sunlight straw color, with some faint reddish tones. The bubbles are weakly put together and appear watery. The lacing isn't much but there are a few strands here and there.

Aroma - at first this has a decidedly sweet, champagne aroma - winy, spritzy. As it settles down, though, some neutral grain aromas come through. No great essence, just a standard beery kind of smell.

Taste - plenty of grain and honey sweetness, enhanced by a low-key alcohol warming. Pretty much like malt liquor, only no corny taste. There is an interesting hop balance on the swallow, it arrests the sweetness fairly well without removing it. The finish is clean, slightly lemony, warm in the throat and wet to a point. Sort of like a ramped up summer ale.

Mouthfeel - fairly crisp, a slight buttery smoothness; light to medium body.

Drinkability - pricy but interesting. A good pick for a tasting of unique beers.

4.33/5  rDev +14.9%

This is one of those beers where you had better not be expecting beer.
Pours a bright golden yellow with barely a head.
Aroma is very fresh fruity...softly fruity....and flowery.
Taste is beyond being able to specify. Most predominately would be tangerines and lemons. Slight bitter bite up front like a citrus bite but then lots of sweet fruits like oranges and tangerines...a little purple grape sweetness and some floral hints.
Leaves the mouth without leaving it sticky.
Fine carbonation and citrus bite make for a nice mouthfeel.
Aftertaste is mostly sweet with a mild alcohol burn settling into you tummy.
Very interesting.

3.9/5  rDev +3.4%

It pours a slightly hazy bright lemon yellow. A finger of loose white head dissembles promptly to frothy surface starlets. Slopes of lacing slide down the inside of the glass.

The aroma gives up a quick hint of caramel malt, but then is innundated with a sweet malestrom of grapes, raw honey, pear, peach, and crisp apple. Also apparent but equally muddled are floral and herbal notes, along with a vent of alcohol.

Upon sipping, the sweetness is again initially malt, and then moves to a more vinous grapiness, and shifts more towards a honey-based slick sugary character. The herb and spice camp is more represented here than the floral, and the fruits again crop up, this time with melon, peach, and even a light citrus touch of lemon. The alcohol is a bit muted, but still sinewy. The finish is actually surprisingly crisp and dry, with green apple and a general spicy bitterness lingering. The historical aspect aside, I found it pleasingly flavorful in spite at a stab toward cloying sweetness.

Medium bodied, the sweet core is slick and slippery, coating along with a friendly closing glow.

I'll admit, I'm always intrigued by the DFH archaeological endeavors, but they don't always translate to the current day. This time, though, the result is a brew that, if accurate, would seem to be as enjoyable today as it was way back when in China. The aroma was too busy, and I'd call it the only real off-note. And while the ABV is typically Dogfish-obvious, it's not so big that it limits unduly. I finished the one bottle willingly, and while a second might be pushing it, I'd drain another any time I found it in front of me. Hey, maybe they could market this in China and Sam could tap into the biggest potential beer market on the planet!

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

A: Gorgeous golden hue with seduction kicks when held to the light. A lot of sediment in this bottle had muddied the picture a bit. Head is fizzy, touch off white and fairly complacent.

S: White grapes, honey, copper, kiwi and ripe pear.

T: White grape juice, peach, melon and a splash of lemon juice start this out. Unique beverage we got going on here, tastes like a specialty drink you might order in a tropical bar somewhere. From the tropical fruit flavors comes vanilla, strong honey and a hint of molasses. Spicy floral notes tug at the tip of the tongue while earthy wafts cascade across the back. Finishes with sugar coated plums, honeysuckle and

M: Bubbles are tight and the body is thick. Its like a spritzer. Superb.

D: Delicious beer, but this beer is a lot like Disneyland; good place to visit but you don’t want to be there every day. Gets a bit cloying after a while but it comes with the territory. I salute Dogfish Head for unarchiving these recipes and I appreciate these beers.

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%

1 pt 9.4 fl oz brown, champagne bottle served in a nonic.
Bottled 08.29.2006.

Cloudy, burnt lemon-straw in color with noticeable, active carbonation. Fizzy, bright white head that partially evaporates from the rush of carbonation. Some thin and spotted lacing with a lack of strength.

Musty, dried malted wheat. Semi-sweet toasted biscuit with hints of buttery diacetyl and honey. Earthen floral hops: rosemary and chrysanthemum aided with pepper. Light notes of lemon and grapefruit.

Semi-sweet toasted malt with a slight honey creaminess prior to a piercing tartness. Grapefruit, lemon, cranberry, and sour grape give a light airiness with a citric quality. As the tartness recedes a robust floral, earthiness asserts itself: rose pedals, saffron. Stiff, malted wheat with a lingering lemon-infused tartness make up the aftertaste.

Light bodied; a champagne-like carbonation makes for an active mouthfeel. Well rounded in texture given the dynamic of flavors.

Certainly a unique concoction that defies the boundaries of style. Pleasant for the novelty, but not an ale that I'd go back to. Props to DFH for keeping the 8% abv almost completely hidden.

3.23/5  rDev -14.3%

Chateau Jiahu poured a light, cloudy amber with good head development despite what appeared to be lazy carbonation in the glass. Aroma was fruity and alcoholic with both sour and sweet notes, neither of which were overpowering. Pleasant smell overall, very similar to Dogfish Head's Midas Touch. Taste was sweet and somewhat wine-like. This beer has a very mellow fruitiness to it. Not what I would typically drink, but good. Mouthfeel is dry and smooth with well developed carbonation, despite my earlier visual observations. Moderate to high alcohol content lends to a warming sensation. Not bad for an herbed/spiced beer, although I prefer Midas Touch over this recipe.

3.88/5  rDev +2.9%

Poured from a 750ml bottle with a bottled on date (8/06) laser printed on the neck. The label was really neat and featured a Chinese woman with a tatoo on her lower back - tasteful unlike most of the crap you see out there. It had a nice golden honey color with a bit of orange - slightly hazy. It had about half a finger of head and a ton of initial carb. Both settled down quickly. The smell was a strong fruity smell dominated by grapes. There was also a good spicy kick in there as well. The taste followed the smell with really good fruitiness and spices to offset the sweet. It's not what you normally expect in a beer and in my mind is closer to a sweet wine but I enjoyed it. The 750ml is too much for me. A 12oz bottle every couple years would be enough (or a big bottle to share with a group). Recommend trying because of the uniqueness and history. (3.5, RB, ML, O)

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours out a lively orangish amber, but with a white head that fizzles out like soda. I really like the color, but hate how the head disappeared within seconds.

Smell. Smells quite sweet. Lots of fruit aromas (peaches) and spices.

Taste. Very Sweet, and spiced. This one is one the verge of being cloying, but doesnt cross the threshold (for me). Fruit flavor i get are more peaches, but it is the honey flavor that seems to be dominating. Aftertaste is still sweet.

Mouthfeel. Full body. All the sugar leaves my lips a bit sticky. an interesting balance that i think works for this beer.

Overall, i think this is one worth trying for the sake of what it is. I the the high amount of sweetness gives it more uniqueness that i can see many people not liking. If i was not in the mood for something sweet, i probably would not have enjoyed it as much. So wait for your sugartooth to come before opening this one up.

3.83/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a hazy bright yellow with minimal had and zero lacing.

The smell is fruity sweet, with both the grapes and flowers coming through.
Taste is more of the same, but with a subtle, almost saison-like spicy tartness in the finish. It is somewhat mead-like, but less sweet than most meads and with more body.
Not something I would keept on hand, but a novel taste experience worth trying.

Chateau Jiahu from Dogfish Head Brewery