1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Golden Era - Dogfish Head Brewery

Golden EraGolden Era

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

Golden Shower is brewed with all continental pilsner malt and hopped with the finest noble hops.

This beer is dry-hopped in the conditioning tank for 8 weeks.

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-28-2006)
1.78/5  rDev -52.4%

A- one and a half finger white head. The color is golden which is a little dark for the style. Crystal clear with a little lacing. I was excited.

S- malty, bready, with a medium amount of hops but there was no character of true saaz. a light toast aroma pushes through the malt with a little bit of lemon. Whisps of rubbing alcohol

T- Malty and cloyingly sweet. As it warms some light lemon, and grapefruit come through with a very bitter finish. Remind me of citrus pith. Rubbing alcohol pushes through a lot and is very unpleasant.

M- Way to malty sweet for a pils and no where near as dry. Not very smooth.

D- This was hard to make it through. This will be my first and last Golden Era. Of all the dogfishhead products I have had this is the first one I didn't like. Disappointing.

viperpiper522, Sep 17, 2007
1.95/5  rDev -47.9%

This beer pours a clear yellow gold color with a nice, white head that slowly fades. The aroma is slightly fruity, maybe citrusy, musty and sweet. The flavor is slightly hoppy and strong on the alcohol and malt. Actually this tastes like cheap, corn-fueled high-alcohol beer. Super sweet, but not what I'd consider malty. Not what I'd expect from DFH, especially with this style. Why is it that Sam Adams' beer of the same style blows this beer out of the water? That shouldn't be, but it's true, true true. Mouthfeel is heavy and sweet, thick. Drinkability? Honesty, I never finished the first bottle, even with help. A disappointment from an otherwise-interesting brewpub.

bucko, Jun 09, 2006
1.98/5  rDev -47.1%

I honestly don't know why I keep trying beers from this brewery. At least I didn't pay for this one. I've never had their malt liquor clone but that's what this reminds me of-- at ten times the cost.

A clear yellow/orange with a big but rapidly receding soapy head. Lots of carbonation but it looks unnatural. The smell is sickly sweet tending to rotting fruit. There is a trace of floral hops.

The taste is sweet and sour with alcohol heat very noticeable. Almost no bitterness and a very unpleasant aftertaste. I've never had something claiming to be a pilsener variation this sour and it is thick and oily rather than crisp and clean. It actually makes me want to drink something else to rid the palate of the old sourness. I didn't finish my pilsener glass full from the 750. Not quite to the level of awe-inspiring wretchedness of the 120 Minute but close.

I think I am through with this brewery even when it's free.

Deconstructionis, Sep 21, 2006
2.05/5  rDev -45.2%

I remember picking this up back when it first came out, earlier this year and being very indifferent to it. I remember it not stacking up to the Samuel Adams Imperial Pilsner...but not much does. So, I picked up the last straggler at the local beer stop.

Pours a crystal clear deep gold with big fat bubbles rising to the top. Very airy, suddsy-like, white head that sticks around as well.

The smell is rather unimpressive. I can smell some light hops and malts comparavle to the nose of a Narragansett, believe it or not.

The taste shows a lot more than the nose suggests, thankfully...or maybe not? Extremely sweet. Too sweet actually, and that's how I remember this one. Not as hoppy as you would expect it to be as well. Lots of harsh alcohol burn all over the place in this one too. No, I don't like this very much at all. Very syrupy and lively carbonation in the mouth.

I am actually dissapointed that I even picked this one up. I went in to get a four-pack of Koeningshoven Quad, but they were sold out so I said F*ck It and grabbed this one because I probably wouldn't have another chance to try it. I should have left it in the cooler and went with my usual suspects but hindsight is always 20/20.

Doomcifer, Oct 18, 2006
2.08/5  rDev -44.4%

$ 8.99 per bomber.

Prescription Pils is unacceptable, but Golden Shower is ? These label approving types lead sheltered lives.

Thankfully, in the glass the beer is not THAT shade of "golden", unless someone is dehydrated. More of a strong, bold, brassy gold than a "piss yellow". Fluffy white head, very good lacing.

Aroma is hay, grass, a bit of biscuit, Not bad, but not big.

Taste is....arrgh... That Prescription in the orginal name? I hope its for insulin. This is appallingly sweet. Liquid essence of pixie stick. Finish is boozy. Are there any hops in here at all ?

Mouthfeel is full, smooth, almost syrupy, but pulls up in time.

There is no drinkability here. No refill on this prescription.

Imperial Pils ? Too sweet to even be an imperial dobblebock. I was expecting a huge Saaz hop bite after a sweet start, but it never arrived.

Several months ago a forum debate raged on whether Sam Adams Harvest fit the style for Imperial Pilsner. I argued that the style was still too undefined to dispute Boston Beer's designation. Guess what, I will say that Golden Shower is not what an Imperial Pilsner should be.

Wish I had some 60 or 90 Minute IPA to balance this out.

RonfromJersey, May 29, 2006
2.23/5  rDev -40.4%

I was the only person of four or five who hated this outright. I'll admit it was an aged sample, but judging by crowd reaction, I would've always had disdain for this, as likely as everyone else I was with may have liked it even more when it was fresh.

A - Cloudy orange-ish with decent off-white head; looks like DIPA

S - Golden shower. Ewww. Why does everyone else in this room like this? What kind of alternative lifestyles are these people living?

T - Cidery, grassy, cabbage-y and onion-y, with strange honey sweetness.

M - Nothing terribly wrong with the mouthfeel, except for the taste it imparts.

D - This must be what people think when they have a negative reaction to GUBNA. I am in the minority tonight in my aversion to this brew; ironically, I am also the one who gets excited about the Imperial Pilsner style. Huh.

ktrillionaire, Jul 22, 2010
2.3/5  rDev -38.5%

This beer feels extremely hopped up...no pun. It tastes very dry and makes an IPA seem more like soda pop. The interesting characteristic of the beer is it's abv which does pack a punch but it is the essence of cramming several hoppy beers into one...when drinking this you really do not think pilsner.

Dougal, Nov 06, 2007
2.33/5  rDev -37.7%

Crystal clear dark yellow with a small white foamy head that left a little bit of speckled lace around the glass. Aroma is thick with malty sweetness and way too much alcohol. Not much hops here and the alcohol covers up any depth the malt may have. The flavor is similar but some fruit sweetness and bready malts are able to escape the grip of the alcohol. Very mild hoppiness is there but again the alcohol comes on way to strong and eventually dominates finishing up with a pretty big alcohol burn on the way down. Pretty thick mouthfeel but to warming from the huge alcohol and way too much burn. While not a drain pour which I reserve for beers that gag me, this took forever to struggle through. Definitely something I won’t be buying again.

meathookjones, May 22, 2006
2.4/5  rDev -35.8%

A: Glowing, golden orange beer. Completely clear. 3-4 fingers of white head that fades slowly. Leaves nice lacing.

S: Subtle. Slighty nutty. Soft, piney hops.

T: Unbalanced, stale malt flavor. Unknown sweet taste washed away with flavorless hops. Burnt alcohol lingers after the beer is gone.

M: Body is unpleasant. Leaves grainy, dirty feeling in the bottom of my mouth.

D: About right in terms of alcohol drinkability, but the taste is making me wish it was a 12oz instead of a 750mL.

kdmorse, May 30, 2006
2.45/5  rDev -34.5%

Beer pours a golden color and quite clear. Aromas are predominantly hops, with some citrus, pine, grains, and a vague malty aroma very much in the background. Taste is simply not good. It's nearly all hops, very much out of balance, and is far too metallic. I think what Dogfish was going for here was an American Pilsner with more hops added to the batch, but the result is that the hops take over the beer. It's also far too hot. Not drinkable at all, I couldn't finish my glass. If you really, and I mean really, like hops then you might like this beer. I love Dogfish Head, but they've always been a little hit or miss.

mt5000, Jan 24, 2008
2.48/5  rDev -33.7%

Hmm. What's this I'm tasting? The creaminess of the mouthfeel is turning me off, but there's something thick and creamy about the taste, too...like a rich cake with creamy frosting. There are hops here, no doubt, but the sweetness comes through more strongly. Although the sweetness is mostly yeasty (pound cake, funnel cake, you name it), there's a little bit of sweet fruit in there. This beer is 9.00%, only half as strong as Dogfish's World Wide Stout, but the alcohol taste comes through just as strongly. The more I drink, the less I like this beer.

I was expecting something like Victory's Harvest Pils, which is also a double pilsner, but this brew is doing something different. It's Dogfish Head, afterall, so don't be surprised.

Appearance: The color of...it's a medium gold color. (I'll let some other reviewer make that joke.) A 1/4 inch head with minimal to moderate lacing.

Smell: Like cake, but subtle...the smell didn't clue me into the strength of the sweet cake flavor that was to come.

GnomeKing, Apr 10, 2006
2.5/5  rDev -33.2%

Larry_C, Aug 15, 2012
2.58/5  rDev -31%

A clear amber/gold with impressive off-white lacing. Not bad looking. The nose is sweet and syrupy. Maybe some type of non-citrus tree fruit smells. Taste is very simple, with a sweet start that fades into an ethanol finish. Not too great. The mouthfeel is syrupy and thick to a fault. Although it's an interesting brew, the drinkability suffers due to the mouthfeel and high ABV. I'm not sure I could even handle a whole bottle of this.

shivtim, Sep 06, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -28.3%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my travel pint glass. Crystal clear, golden color with a white head of about one finger in size. Plenty of carbonation bubbles rushing toward the surface to replenish the lacy head, giving it quite nice retention.

Aroma was really sweet. My benchmark for Imp Pils is SA. Not sure if that should be the way it is, but that is the way it is for me. This one has hardly any hop aroma (even a basic Pils has good hop aroma). Smells like Belgian candi sugar and bready malts.

Flavor was really sweet. Although there was no hop flavor or aroma, there was some hop bitterness in there to somewhat balance out the overpowering cloying qualities to the beer. Fruity with some caramel.

I am beginning to grow weary of DFH strong beers. Midas Touch, 120min, this one: They are all very sweet and not very good. I bought one bottle and would not buy another one. If you want a good Imperial Pilsner, pick up some Sam Adams.

SaCkErZ9, Dec 13, 2007
2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

Pours a deep honey color with tons of bubbles and creamy head. Smells hoppy, malty, with a bit of a citrus thing going on and a slight Bud aftersmell I don't dig. Taste is... strange. Malty and sweet, yet quite bitter. Can't quite pinpoint other flavors... floral, perhaps. Just odd. Mouthfeel is fleeting and light. Drinkable, I spose, but... odd brew. Great name, though.

scooter231, Jul 22, 2006
2.78/5  rDev -25.7%

This is a review of a year and a half old 750 mL bottle of Golden Showers that i split with two other friends last night. Poured into a pilsner glass, the color was deep gold, probably a bit dark for a pilsner. The head was big and fluffy and left at least a half dozen rings of lacing down the side of the glass. The smell was practically non-existant. The taste was mostly alcohol with some malt and a lot of sugar. The mouthfeel was too full bodied for the style and was a major negative point. I think the aging on this beer has made a mess of this beer. The hops which hopefully would have balanced everything out and cut through the sweetness and alcohol have vanished. I will definately re-review this beer if i decide to pick up another (fresh) bottle of golden era.

wheelinshirt, Oct 11, 2007
2.83/5  rDev -24.3%

Equal parts orange and gold with nary a hop fleck to sully the pristine nature of the beer. I prefer hop flecks. Bubbles of various sizes and speeds ascend to a wonderful looking, hop resinous cap of pale banana. Although it has barely fallen in the several minutes since the pour, I'm beginning to see a tremendous array of lace-like lace on every available square inch of glass. It's hard to beat the head and lace combination on hopped-to-the-gills beer.

What happened to the hops? This bottle is still less than 5 months old so there's no way that a supposedly gargantuan amount of noble hops have had time to fade this completely. DFH may have used nothing but pils malt, but it smells like they toasted it pretty generously. The hops are more fruity than anything else (odd for nobles) and are on the bottom few rungs of the pungency scale.

Golden Shower is, by far, the worst of the now four American Double Pilsners that I've had. I had hoped for a massive, raucously hoppy hop bomb, but didn't expect much more than a moderately hoppy one. The result is quite a bit south of my expectations. Like the nose, I can't believe that this beer was ever very hoppy if it smells and tastes like this well shy of its half year bottling anniversary.

Like far too many of this brewery's other offerings, alcohol is a prominent member of the flavor profile. In fact, it tastes as if a fair amount of Liquor De Malt found its way into this bottle. The beer is much more malty than it is hoppy and tastes like a 'golden' barley wine or a strong golden ale. Actually, a big ass helles bock is closer to the mark. I'm stunned at the lack of hops in what is meant to be a hop-focused style.

As might be expected with so much malt onboard, the body is on the full side of medium and each mouthful finishes with a great deal of slickness, without much actual stickiness. Trouble is, the carbonation is too fine-bubbled to lighten things up sufficiently and the mouthfeel is rather drab and lifeless as a result.

I have an exceptionally high tolerance for the stupid and the sophomoric, so the name of this beer doesn't bother me in the least. It's a bit over the top, though, to put a spurting bidet on the urine yellow label. I can't say that I'm broken up that the next iteration of Golden Shower will have a different name. That's of much less concern to me than that DFH come up with a better beer. It shouldn't be all that difficult.

BuckeyeNation, Aug 11, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

Purchased a 1 pint 9.6 fl.oz.bottle for $11.99 at Bello Vino.
Poured into an oversized pilsner glass.
Laser marked, bottled date March 21, 2006.

Yellow, orangish in color, piss like. Very clear with lots of carbonation. Two inch off white, fluffy head forms. Tons of sticky lacing is left behind. Mostly aromas of breads, yeasts with hints of hops, citrus and fresh cut grass. Intense malty sweetness hits you up front, maybe too much. Also has a biscuity, doughy flavor to it. Hoppy, dry finish. Average mouthfeel, nothing special, maybe a little slick. Drinkability is tough, this is too sweet for me, hard to finish the whole bottle. It gets a little easier to drink as it warms, but not much. A brew I'm glad I tried. I doubt I will purchase this again, too pricey, and I didn't really like the sweet taste.

BigDaddyWil, Apr 23, 2006
2.93/5  rDev -21.7%

Orange with a big white head. Looks as it is named. Pungent. Nose is like oranges, maple syrup. Harsh, heavy malt flaovr, overripe oranges/orange rind. thick beer. hops make it syrupy, just like a lot of the big dogfish head beers (think if 120 was a pilsner). low on drinkability because its so harsh and syrupy. too weird to really want to have any more of this one.

aforbes10, Sep 07, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Appearance – This is a solid orange in color with a big, off-white growing head.

Smell – This reeks of strong grain and orange syrup. I know this is an American take on the German Pils style, but where are the hops?

Taste – Ah, there’s a bit of hops at the taste, mostly leafy, but this is still a grain bomb with a splash of alcohol.

Mouthfeel – This is medium-bodied with surprisingly little carbonation and a heavy feel in the mouth.

Drinkability – I was able to mange the 750 ml bottle but will definitely not buy again. WTF?

RoyalT, May 20, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

not the best thing from dfh. it was way to syrupy to really enjoy. the hops are good and save it just enough to make a decent beer. this should have been label as a quad pils or something bigger then imperial. It was like 90mins ipa, minus the hops. enjoy it with spicy indian food or any other flavorful food.

brewbacca, May 03, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours on the darker side of golden with a head that had bubbles that ate up each other, growing quickly until they reduced to a non-sticky lacing. Herbal/citrusy aroma.
Bitterness was herbal and grassy. Sticky, cloying and unenjoyable mouthfeel with the malts left it feeling bothersome and less fluid. Some piney afterthoughts.

Dumped after the first pint. As with their lawmower, this is one that I won't be returning to.

Dithyramb, Apr 23, 2006

Purchased at the Foodery in Northern Liberties. Pours with a little head and orange-ish in color. The smell is boozy for a Pils. I don't see the Pils in this at all not quite knowing what a Double Pils is; it reminds me too much of 60 Minute (which I like but I would have bought it if I wanted it). It has too much of an alcohol mouthfeel which affects the drinkability. The Double Pils is a strange style but I am not enjoying this beer. Not a pour but I am glad I only bought one of these.

Cheers.