Golden Era - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  9.00% ABV

Golden Shower is brewed with all continental pilsner malt and hopped with the finest noble hops.

This beer is dry-hopped in the conditioning tank for 8 weeks.

(Beer added by: Jason on 03-28-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 251-275 | 276-300 | 301-325  | next › last »
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Purchased this at Joe Canal's while looking for Stone Imperial Stout. They didn't have it yet, but I did find this gem.

a: beautiful golden, pillowy head and little lacing.
s: not much of a smell
t: Sweet, very sweet with light vanilla. A bit, not much bitterness follows with some alcohol.
m: Creamy medium body
d: dispite the alcohol this is very enjoyable and drinkable.

NiceGuyMike, Apr 24, 2006
3.58/5  rDev -4.3%

Many thanks to Chadbrew for sending this one my way.
Pale gold in color (appropriate) with two and a half fingers of bright white head with a fairly agressive pour...most of it remains for half the pint and leaves some spotty lacing.
Snappy spice up front with a floral hoppiness...a hint of sweetness with a lingering nose.
The taste is much more malt sweetness than what its scent was giving away...and the hops are more juicy fruit than floral...less spice with some banana, citrus, and slight alcohol as it warms.
Quite a huge bittering effect going on here...finishes with much of the same.
Fairly thick mouthfeel with a lot of carbonation.
A bit too sweet to drink any more than a couple pints...tasty, but I'd have to move onto something else after a point.
An enjoyable new offering from the folks at Dogfish...thanks again Chad.

warriorsoul, Apr 23, 2006
2.85/5  rDev -23.8%

Purchased a 1 pint 9.6 fl.oz.bottle for $11.99 at Bello Vino.
Poured into an oversized pilsner glass.
Laser marked, bottled date March 21, 2006.

Yellow, orangish in color, piss like. Very clear with lots of carbonation. Two inch off white, fluffy head forms. Tons of sticky lacing is left behind. Mostly aromas of breads, yeasts with hints of hops, citrus and fresh cut grass. Intense malty sweetness hits you up front, maybe too much. Also has a biscuity, doughy flavor to it. Hoppy, dry finish. Average mouthfeel, nothing special, maybe a little slick. Drinkability is tough, this is too sweet for me, hard to finish the whole bottle. It gets a little easier to drink as it warms, but not much. A brew I'm glad I tried. I doubt I will purchase this again, too pricey, and I didn't really like the sweet taste.

BigDaddyWil, Apr 23, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -20.3%

Pours on the darker side of golden with a head that had bubbles that ate up each other, growing quickly until they reduced to a non-sticky lacing. Herbal/citrusy aroma.
Bitterness was herbal and grassy. Sticky, cloying and unenjoyable mouthfeel with the malts left it feeling bothersome and less fluid. Some piney afterthoughts.

Dumped after the first pint. As with their lawmower, this is one that I won't be returning to.

Dithyramb, Apr 23, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

750mL Bottled on 03/21/06 stamped on the neck.

Pours with a thick tan head of medium bubbles. Looked awesome as the head took shape. High carbonation. Color did not disappoint as it was golden bordering on orange. Hoppy aroma, but not overly so. Herbal and a touch of orange.

Taste was similar to the aroma. Surprisingly full bodied considering the amount of carbonation. Bordering on syrupy. A bit of pine and bitterness are noticeable in the flavor. Aftertaste is more sweet with some mild bitterness.

Imperial Pilsner? OK. Drank like a full bodied pale ale. Enjoyable, but average compared to some of their other offerings. Again, a great beer but falls a little short compared to other DFH brews. This only suffers from the bar being set so high.

sacfly, Apr 23, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

A capped 750ml bottle dated 3/21/06. Poured into a pilsner glass, it's an orange color with a thick white head. Nicely carbonated. Some lacing.
It has a fresh grassy odor, maybe a touch of floral. A very hoppy taste, slightly sweet, with a nice lingering of hops. A pretty robust beer, will want to have more of it.

lordofthewiens, Apr 23, 2006
4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

A - Its a deep golden color with a visable stream of steady carbination. It also has a big fluffy white head that laces very nicely.

S - Strong aroma of noble hops. It its a nice combination of piney hops with a citrus zing to it.

T - Creamy full bodied sweet malt encompass the tounge. It is followed up by flovorfull hops that I think might be too much.

M -- Big and viscous. No carbination bite.

D - Its a great beer. Imperial Pilsner? I guess it is by BJCP standards if you look at Imperial stouts and base the gravity/taste scale to this. This is a tough judge ment call due to its style. I Think Its absolutley fantastic other wise.

quasimoto, Apr 21, 2006
4.2/5  rDev +12.3%

Shared a bottle with my brother at Cooper's in Scranton, PA. What a treat. The beer poured a bright amber color with a good white head and some active carbonation. The aroma is a bit hoppy, a bit citrusy and a bit sweet, all at the same time. The taste is big but also a bit suprising in that it is sweet as well. As others have said, ti reminds you of a 120 minute but not quite that big. Overall this is a very good beer with a nice full body and some good hop and citrust characteristics. Everyone should have a Golden Shower sometime!

ggaughan, Apr 19, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

Had this out of the bottle served in two tulip glasses. It poured a brilliant golden color with a nice head that dissipated quickly but lingered throughout. It smelled of fruity, spicy hops, alcohol and sweet malt. It was a really good smell up front. Towards the end the alcohol came through a bit too much. Tasted nothing like a pilsner. It really reminded me of the 90 minute IPA. It was sweet and hoppy, but the hops had an obvious german character as opposed to 90's american leanings. It was more crisp and clean than an ale, but at this level of alcohol it must be difficult to maintain the full lager characteristics. It felt great on the palate. Despite the sweetness it felt light and bubbly, with just enough "meat" for you to know you are drinking a big beer. Drinkability was great for a 9% beer. I wish they sold it in 12 oz. bottles cause I could, and would, drink it that way. I think this is a beer they should consider transitioning to their full time lineup. It was balanced and full of character. It had all the marks of a great dogfish brew and I believe it is an instant classic. I plan to pick up another bottle and see how it fairs in 6 months to a year.

pfknapp, Apr 18, 2006
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

Capped 750 with a bottled on date of 3/21/06 ink jetted on the shoulder. Purchased at Bello Vino in Ann Arbor and poured into a pilsener glass.

Clear brass under two inches of off white. Not much for retention as the abv chews the head down to a veiled ring in a matter of minutes

Nice biscuity nose with floral and citric hop aromas. A faint whiff of candy in the back. Nice.

The first thing I notice is the thickness of the mouth. It leans towards the syrup that is the 120 minute DIPA, but backs off before going too far. Quite sweet with some balance achieved by the oily hops that add grapefruit and trace pine resins. Alcoholic heat in the finish but it doesn't seem to hurt the overall taste.

I would think that this beer could benefit from more carbonation. Perhaps the head retention and mouthfeel would have been better? More bubbles cutting through the thickness of the mouth could kick this one up a notch.

At any rate it is an interesting addition to one of the newer styles and I reccomend that anyone with any interest in this beer should plunk down the bucks and give it a go.

ypsifly, Apr 18, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

25.6oz dark brown bottle. Bottled on date (03/21/06) stamped on bottle.
It pours a rose-hued brassy copper color with a smallish white head.
The smell has an interesting mix of floral bouquet, resinous hop, citrus, and mixed fruit on a dry malty background. A mild whiff of tobacco is noticed.
The doughy malt has a bit of honey sweetness and brown bread graininess to it. The hoppy bitterness is all over the place. Herbal resins, grapefruit, orange liquor and vodka tastes are all fairly potent. As in the aroma, a taste of tobacco comes to mind.
All in all, it's a potent in-your-face brew, with very little in the way of subtleties to ponder, with the exception of a slight taste of sodium.

BeerResearcher, Apr 18, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +9.6%

This showered into my glass a wonderful dark gold with an incredible 3 inch frothy head. I didn't really poor too hard either just an enormous amount of head dissipating a a good rate though.

I think this brew has a terrific aroma. Very malty smelling, very clean, with some hop character.

I have to admit I wasn't really expecting to like this beer all too much. After reading the reviews here, and being let down by the majority of Dogfish Head brews I've had, there was little hope.

But am I wrong. I think this is a fabulous pilsner. Rich and fat in malt complex, with a good balance of hops that are somewhat subdued. A big bready, yeasty, biscuit, and nice caramel, toffee in the finish that lingers for a good 30 seconds making my tastebuds cry for more.

The smooth mouthfeel this malt provides along with it's complex overall taste profile makes this one of the best Dogfish brews I've tried to date.

Being that it's a pils I could probably drink this beer all night long, all night, all night long, all...(Lionel Ritchie) Jesus.

mcallister, Apr 17, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

Served on tap it pours a nice golden yellow ... much darker in color than expected for a Pils ... with a thin head that dissipates after a few sips. It has a sweet hop aroma with hints of caramel. It tastes much different than I expected as well. Coming from DFH I was expected this one to be hoppy as or hoppier than Victory's Hop Wallop ... but to no avail. This is actually quite malty, nothing what I had imagined it to be. Though it is not as hoppy as I expected, the maltiness gives this a nice mouthfeel and provides quite a quaffable beer. It's maltiness makes this a less crisp/refreshing pils, but I can easily see myself tipping back quite a few of these on a nice cool spring day. Unlike most pils, I'd save this one for the cooler months.

Jaynuze, Apr 17, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +12.8%

Bottled-on date of 3/26/06 stamped on bottle. $9.39 / 25 oz bottle. The beer itself is a deep golden color much like the 60 or 90 min Ipa. Good fluffy head in my La Chouffe glass that settles down but doesnt disappear.

Smells overly hoppy, also much like the 60/90 Ipa.

This beer has the same characteristic sweetness/syrupy qualities of several other DFH beers (Midas Touch, 120 min IPA). Actually, I think the sweetness/syrupyness could be compared to that of a double bock. Very interesting.

Absolutely full-bodied, and I would imagine good for drinking in the winter, despite the warm-weather leanings usually associated with pilsners.

Very tasty. Not sure why this beer got the relatively low scores (low, at least, for a DFH beer). I found it very drinkable and enjoyable.

chOAKbarrell, Apr 17, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Served on tap in an 8 oz snifter, this is a dark golden color, one might describe it as piss colored, with a thin off-white head, little retention, little lacing. Nose is light perfumy hops over a light caramel malt, simple but pleasant. Taste starts out with a slightly grainy pale malt and then gives way to a grassy flowery hopiness, a slightly bitter finish. Not bad, nothing that special though. Medium bodied with a nice dry finish. Overall this is a decent enough pilsner, but it's rather lackluster and didn't live up to my expectations.

cubedbee, Apr 16, 2006
3.9/5  rDev +4.3%

I honestly don't know what the hell an American Double Pilsner is supposed to be. I think our culture's tendancy to overdo something and put "double" on the title of it is a bit extreme. I suppose that's the point. But sometimes extreme is too much. Is this too much? I don't know. What I will say is this. I spent a few hours doing yard work, an hour at Home Depot, and I went for a 25 mile road bike ride today. After all that, this beer really hit the spot. At first.

It's a solid warm weather beer but it doesn't take the warm very well at all. By the end of the glass, it was bitter and unbalanced, maybe a bit too sweet. I thought it was a good beer when I started drinking it - and it was/is. But for a warm weather beer, it doesn't do so well with the warm weather. You figure it out.

I don't think it's as bad as the majority of the 13 reviews here seem to suggest. On the other hand, this is pretty expensive. This will be the one and only time I purchase this beer. Overall worth the try but only if you have $10 you want to use on a lark.

normZurawski, Apr 16, 2006
3.63/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from the bottle into a Dogfish Head tapered pint glass. Poured with an enourmous, robust head of thick heavy foam... great head retention made me wait for the tasting part of it. Not likely Sam used any of those cheap, beer thinning adjunct in this one.
The aroma was suprisingly clean and had a hoppy background. The hop aroma in the nose is suprisingly subdued for a DFH. Hmmm, none the less, it was a crystal clear deep golden color with signifant carbonation and a mixture of coarse and fine lace all over the glass.
Finally, the head subsided and I got to taste it. A hop surprise for certain. This beer does a great job of hiding the hop flavor in its nose. The bitternes up front yields to a strong malt backbone and a sweetness with a good dry finish makes this beer also hide the strong ABV very well.
Drink this on a hot spring day, but don't pound it like a regular pilsner... this one will give you a swift kick in the behind if your not paying attention to it. The clean dry finish and hop/malt balance make it easy to sneak up on you.

gdogalishus, Apr 15, 2006
2.48/5  rDev -33.7%

Hmm. What's this I'm tasting? The creaminess of the mouthfeel is turning me off, but there's something thick and creamy about the taste, too...like a rich cake with creamy frosting. There are hops here, no doubt, but the sweetness comes through more strongly. Although the sweetness is mostly yeasty (pound cake, funnel cake, you name it), there's a little bit of sweet fruit in there. This beer is 9.00%, only half as strong as Dogfish's World Wide Stout, but the alcohol taste comes through just as strongly. The more I drink, the less I like this beer.

I was expecting something like Victory's Harvest Pils, which is also a double pilsner, but this brew is doing something different. It's Dogfish Head, afterall, so don't be surprised.

Appearance: The color of...it's a medium gold color. (I'll let some other reviewer make that joke.) A 1/4 inch head with minimal to moderate lacing.

Smell: Like cake, but subtle...the smell didn't clue me into the strength of the sweet cake flavor that was to come.

GnomeKing, Apr 10, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +3.7%

He who hesitates is lost.... well, at least I lost my very funny review because I took too long to write it. Anyway, the basic premise was this, that DFH's GS is surprisingly restrained for the style given their propensity for going overboard. And, unless I'm mistaken, this is "Prescription Pils" re-named as the ATF wouldn't allow "prescription" on the label.

I tasted it from a fresh bottle (15 days past bottling) and was initially surprised that it's filtered. The head could have been better. It had the smell I thought Liquor de Malt should have had (where are all of the hops in this one?). The malt character was nice; and the alcohol was well-heeled. I thought it could use more hop flavor and aroma, but I appreciated the fact that it wasn't overloaded with bitterness. I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was a good value - I'm more interested in the beer than the packaging - but I'd drink it again. I guess mostly I'm interested in the idea of a "double pilsner".

NeroFiddled, Apr 09, 2006
3.65/5  rDev -2.4%

750ml bottled on 03/21/06

Pours a nice yellowish-gold with a huge head...about three fingers of off white bubbles. Leaves decent lacing. Malty aroma with some sugary molasses and spicy grass from the hops. Sweet malty taste that finishes a tad bitter from the hops. A little sticky with not alot of carbonation. I'm sure the alcohol will sneak up on you after you kill the bottle.

Imstillthegman, Apr 08, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +2.4%

Thanks to egajdzis for this...
Appears a glowing, transparent gold with a small white head. Scattered lacing is left around the glass.
Smell is of vanilla, sugar, and a heavy dose of pils malt.
Taste is of the same aromas with heavy sugar & pils malt with a powdery bubblegum.
Mouthfeel is sweet & malty.
The name of this beer doesn't make it more appealing...in fact, thinking about it, I actually get slight whiffs of urine. Psychosomatic? Maybe. I just hope that this doesn't turn into one of these things where you hear a year from now that they got the name b/c they caught the cleaning guy pissing in the fermenter.

weeare138, Apr 07, 2006
3.73/5  rDev -0.3%

750ml bottle bought at the brewpub. Bottled 3/26/06. Absolutely gorgeous golden color. Huge 2 finger, fluffy white head. Great carbonation level-theres just a huge bevy of bubbles rising from the bottom of the glass. Big hop aroma-more grass like then citrus. Somewhat astringent in the bitterness. I know its a double or imperial pils but I think it needs to mellow a bit. Almost "too" fresh. No hint whatsoever of the 9% abv. Would be nice if it had the subtle "softness" of a classic pils but is that possible when doing an "imperial"? Got me. Anyway, very nice mouthfeel. Oily slick from the hops. Very enjoyable beer. I tend to think the drinkability will come up with age. Think 90 Minute Pils.

lackenhauser, Apr 02, 2006