Raison D'Extra - Dogfish Head Brewery

rAvg: 4
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  18.00% ABV

A bigger, bolder version of our Raison Raison D'Être.

This is a bulbous, brown ale brewed with a bunch of malt, brown sugar and raisins.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2002)

1.45/5  rDev -63.8%

Perhaps I bought a bad bottle...
Poured a mahogany color with a nice head rising. Smelled of excessive fruit and alcohol. On my first taste, I found myslef thinking this tastes like cough medicine, not that I've had any lately. For the next few sips, I got huge raisin sweetness with an unpleasant burning, I presume from the ABV. This was very bad, and turned into a very, very rare drain pour with more than half left in my pint glass. Mouthfeel was hot. Drinkability was, well, not drinkable at all I'm afraid. Avoid at all costs.

1.6/5  rDev -60%

I poured this beer into my tumbler at 50 degrees then poured it out of my tumbler and into the sink. The bber was a light mahoganny color with a light orangy looking head. The smell was of sour something with a bit of a caralally smell. The taste was sour gross sour Yuk...too me. The sourness was just overpowering of rotten fruit and bout gagged me. I will not buy again.

1.63/5  rDev -59.3%

I bought this at monk's and was a little disappointed in the drink and that is over two years old!!! After our trip to the city (Monk's and Noddinghead) I decided to have this late in the night.

Exp. date is 3/15/07. Poured into a goblet a thick cloudy caramel color with an off white colored heading. No real lacing to speak of.

Smell is very malty and just flat out booze. hint's of raisin's a touch of plum and other darker fruit's also a bit of chocolate.

Taste again is ridiculously boozy almost unbearable hint's of the above aroma's but is killed by this unsettling warmth of alcohol. Hops do kick in and leave a slight sting but again is crushed by the warmth in the gullet.

Mouth is full bodied with good carbonation when move it around on the palate. Leaves a kind of spiciness on the tongue as well.

Drinkability is bad this was almost a drainpour for me I will not try this one again.

Just a bit to ridiculous with the heavy ABV. I personally think Dogfish head should do away with this one and stick to the D'etere.

1.73/5  rDev -56.8%

Poured this into a Chimay chalice and it looked pretty good, decent head that dissipated fairly quickly. No lacing at all on the glass.

Smelled of alcohol almost exclusively, not good. Very strong aroma.

Taste was beyond sweet, very hard to handle. Alcohol was well hidden for a 20% beer, but I would have rather tasted it.

Mouthfeel was decent. Thick and syrupy.

Drinkability was awful. I could barely finish the bottle. Only reason I didn't pour it out was because it was a $5 bottle. I won't have this again.

1.83/5  rDev -54.3%

you know what? too many damn raisins. almost made me sick. but you wouldn't know it's as alcoholic as it is, or that it would be hard to drink going in. appearance and aroma aren't that bad, mostly dark fruits (raisins?) and alcohol. i'm beginning to suspect to stick with the hoppy beers from dogfish head.

1.83/5  rDev -54.3%

Thought Id give this a shot after hearing about raison d'etre

poured from 12oz bottle a dark color with a small amount of head

first drink i thought, WTF did they brew this in an old stinky rotting boot?

but it grew on me, partly because of how fast I drank it, at 20% it really kicks in, bottle didnt mention how strong it was, I could tasted it but never expected it to be that high

definately not one Ill drink again

1.95/5  rDev -51.3%

A - poured thick. brown/ruby colored. decent head that fades to a thin layer.

S - strong autolysis aromas. sweet malt. There was a thick slurry of yeast on the bottom of the bottle. This beer is OLD.

T - incredibly sweet. autolyzed flavors. cloying. sweeet. ew. Still some bitterness background, but let's face it, you can't topple this sweetness.

M - uberchewy, sweet. med-light carbonation.

D - not for me.

2.05/5  rDev -48.8%

OK, I did review this beer with a large measure of objectivity. "Respect Beer", right? So, Here Goes...Poured out of a brown 12 oz. bottle with a picture of an old western cowboy on it into a 16 oz. pint glass...

A- Weird start...no head at all...almost like pouring juice into a glass. Color is a murky rust brown/dark orange.

S- A slight estery scent. Very sugary sweet fruity smell. The smell almost starts to clean out your nasal passages.

T- Grape cough medicine....then when you swallow, the ethers invade your nasal passages via your esophagus. Am I drinking beer or grain alcohol?

M- Most painful part to rate. I want this beer out of my mouth, so keeping it in there and swashing it around wasn't fun. Again, very artificial grape cough medicine flavor, then the alcohol starts to scrape at your tongue and back of your mouth. When I swallow, I make the same face and head shake that I make when I swallow a shot of tequila.

D- Based on the review...you tell me. Glad I tried it, but I will not buy this beer again, nor drink one for free.

2.17/5  rDev -45.8%

Grade A maple syrup colored liquid. Possibly reductive nose of peanut butter, corn and American "nougat". Vanilla, stewed tangerine juice and a whallop of buttered burnt sugar. Syrup sweetness covers the alcohol and opens simple fruit candy flavors: tart, peppery. The sugar is oppressive and only crudely balanced with crippled, denatured strands of funky tartness and dirty bitterness.

This is absurd novelty beer. There would be no reason to opt for this drink when a bottle of good PX sherry or tawny port is within reach.

2.17/5  rDev -45.8%

Reviewed on 5/24/08. I will admit that I am not a fan of high alcohol beers nor am I a particular fan of raisins...but my boyfriend got a bottle of this and wanted me to split it with him, so I decided to try it...pours a light brown, cloudy, no head and a rather syrupy texture. Aroma is awful--much too overpowering and so repulsive to me that I actually had to pinch my nose while drinking it. Aroma is strong of alcohol, brown sugar, raisin. Flavor is a little better than the aroma- brown sugar, alcohol, sweetness. Super rich and super sweet. Too one-dimensional for such a high alcohol beer, it is not balanced enough, creating a huge alcohol mess. I just don't think the body of Raison D'Etre is strong enough to handle the 18.5%. I could only take about 10 or so sips. Won't be having this again...
3/3/6/3/10 (2.5/5)

2.2/5  rDev -45%

A--Gorgeous mahogany color that doesn't yield much of a head...what was there dwindled down to almost nothing quickly. No lacing

S--Deep wood and maple tones, raisins, figs, bourbon. Little too boozy on the nose for my liking

T--This one absolutely bites the tongue with a sharp alcohol front and a maple syrup back end. Definitely not my style. It is impressively flavorful though. Wait a minute, I just saw that this is 20% ABV, believe it or not I didn't actually look at that before drinking. No wonder it kicked my ass. I must admit that I am not man enough for this beer!

M--Relatively thin but not too much so

D--I can't even get down half a bottle, not due to the bad taste but just due to the overwhelming nature of the alcohol. Perhaps you are more brave then me. Give it a shot and decide for yourself!

2.23/5  rDev -44.3%

Yet another cute beer from DFH that's more style than substance. Pours a brilliant dark amber that is, when held to the light, just glowingly gorgeous. No head, though, which is a problem appearance-wise and aroma-wise. The aroma is nonetheless pretty strong, with lots of rich burnt sugar smells and some sweet dried fruit and peppery alcohol underneath. The taste is a sugar bomb, unadulterated sweetness with nothing to modify or deepen it. Huge candi sugar up front with some fruit notes behind, underpinned by a big raw alcohol burn. Mouthfeel is quite sumptuous and alcoholic. Drinkability? Not really -- too sweet, too big to be a beer I want a lot of. A novelty and nothing more.

2.23/5  rDev -44.3%

poured into a perfect pint.

pours a dark brown with a think roasted head that left quickly. unfortunately this thing is just to sweet. very rich aroma with varieties of fruit and sweetness. taste is great at first, and immediately the sweetness kicks in. rough after taste. Tried drinking it with some food and sipping, but just couldn't handle the sweetness. sadly, i couldn't drink it.

2.25/5  rDev -43.8%

2.3/5  rDev -42.5%

Bottle into a pint.

A-Looks nice. Copper with little floaties dancing around. Slightly cloudy. Little head retention.

S-Strong dried fruits and alcohol.

T- At first some prunes, raisins... but this was quickly blown out of the water by the alcohol. I flat out didn't enjoy the taste. I'm not one to sip on liquor, and that's what this reminded me of. Not my style.

M- Syrupy, but honestly was a bit distracted by the flavor.

D- Couldn't get more than half the glass down. I'm sure if this was up my alley I'd enjoy it more, but overall I just really didn't like this beer.

2.3/5  rDev -42.5%

Pours red, with a semi-filtered appearance and a thin, slightly lacing head.

Smells spicy, with notes of roasted malt, and dark fruit. Alcohol aroma is perceptible; there is a clear, medicinal, phenolic smell.

Sweet zombie Jesus, this a sweet beer. There is a strong background of raisins and figs. A fleeting toasted malt flavor appears mid-palate. The alcohol is barely noticeable in the flavor but has a strong, almost immediate warming effect.

A few sips later, this beer is nauseatingly cloying. It's totally out of balance, like drinking fig newtons soaked in high-fructose corn syrup, and then mainlining Everclear afterward.

Oh yeah, drinkability? Nonexistent.

Sorry DFH, back to the drawing board on this one.

2.33/5  rDev -41.8%

A seriously potent beer! Just like everyone else says though...way too sweet. Definately worth trying...but a little overkill. A lot of expectations on it, which didn't let me down as far as booze. But WOW! the taste and drinkability is a little over the top.
Poured into my Chimay chalice...maroon-ish color with small head that dissapears rather quickly. The booze smell fills the room!

The bottle says brewed with boatloads of raisons...uh...yea. You can say that again. Has a decent first taste but doesn't last long as soon as it hits the back of your tongue. Hard to finish the bottle by yourself...so recommended to share with a friend for the experience.

With that said, I still respect and love DFH beers.

2.38/5  rDev -40.5%

This beer was an amber color with a very small, almost nonexistent, tan head and a tiny amount of lacing. It had a strong sweet fruit odor. The taste was all fruit, and way, way too sweet. It was fairly smooth, but to me not too drinkable. Maybe it should be a dessert wine??

Raison D'Extra from Dogfish Head Brewery