Raison D'Extra - Dogfish Head Brewery

rAvg: 4
Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  18.00% ABV

A bigger, bolder version of our Raison Raison D'Être.

This is a bulbous, brown ale brewed with a bunch of malt, brown sugar and raisins.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2002)

4.31/5  rDev +7.7%

Fresh 12 oz. bottle, not even four weeks past bottling date. Mahogany color with good clarity. Not much of a head. Very sweet and fruit-forward aroma. Tons of brown sugar and candied fruit. Surprisingly little alcohol presence, impressive for an ale of this strength.

As expected, the flavor profile is super-sweet. It treads close to becoming cloyingly sweet but manages to stay out of that territory. Not really any traces of Belgian yeast character. Instead, the overall flavor profile is straight up English Barleywine to me - very high residual sugars and dark, ripe fruits dominating. Super-ripe raisins and dates, finishing with plenty of alcohol warmth. Carbonation is a bit harsh.

This really should sit for at least a year (or two) before consuming, but it's really drinking surprisingly well while fresh. I've had better beers with a similar flavor profile, but they were generally Bourbon barrel-aged. Share a bottle with a friend and you're in for good times.

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

4.16/5  rDev +4%

3.16/5  rDev -21%

4.75/5  rDev +18.8%

4.35/5  rDev +8.7%

Tastes of raisins (duh), belgian yeast, dessert wine on the finish, this is great! Tastes way better than it smells, I'm definitely gonna try to put one of these down. Highly recommended for bsda fans and big beer fans. Hmm, also a little bit of tartness in here... Boozy in a good way

3.75/5  rDev -6.3%

Draft in Goblet from Fall's Church Alehouse: 12-09-14

Appearance- rich dark brown...thin head with some lacing in the glass afterwards.

Smell- No suprise that there was strong Raisons smell followed by Brown Sugar.

Taste- Very sweet is the first taste that hit me, then I could make out the raisons, and then that brown suggar, like you get bitting into a cookie. I did not notice any hops. For that reason I found it unbalanced. I did not notice much of an alcohol taste

Mouthfeel- Felt very creamy to me.

Overall- I had heard about this beer, so when I heard it was on tap I rushed on over. However I found it too sweet to enjoy as a drink alone. But as I ate ( a Cuban swandwhich) I found the beer complimented the food very well, especually the pork and pickles. I may want to try it again with some spicier foods...

Raison D'Extra from Dogfish Head Brewery