Raison D'Extra - Dogfish Head Brewery

Raison D'ExtraRaison D'Extra

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  18.00% ABV

A bigger, bolder version of our Raison Raison D'Être.

This is a bulbous, brown ale brewed with a bunch of malt, brown sugar and raisins.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-22-2002)
4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Beautiful translucent cloudy copper orange body with low carbonation. Low tan head that collapses without leaving much lace.
Obviously lots of raison in the smell. Strong and sweet without a hint at the high abv. Marzipan, dark sweet bread and vanilla.
Burning sweet raisons at first sip. Slight hint at the abv. Mellow flavors swirling around the raisons. Almonds, strong malt, vanilla and brown sugar. The aftertaste is abit more alcoholic but mostly sweet and very pleasant.
Full body and good coating present. Abit dry in the finish but not much.
Very drinkable and well crafted. I had my reservations at how good this could be due to the high abv but I was pleasantly surprised.

-Oelergud

4.1/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a hazy dark ruby color with no head.

Smells like port or brandy. Sweet raisons and dark fruits, heavy on the alcohol. Smells just like the St. Bernardus 12 I just had.

Flavor is very sweet with dark fruits, raisons, and liquorish. Crazy thing is, this flavor and the expected burn of alcohol in the aftertaste drops dead on the dry finish. I don't know how they did it.

Mouthful is thick like syrup, and very dry.

Drinkability is lowered due to sweetness. However, for a 20% alcohol content, it's extremely drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -1.5%

Poured with almost no head. Deep honey color.

Nice aroma, of raisons, molasses, and syrup. You can definitely smell the high alcohol content.

Very sweet taste, as I had expected. Raisons, apple, cinnamon, and a hint of maple syrup.

Sort of thick and syrupy in the mouth. Somewhat low carbonation.

As far as taste goes, very drinkable. However, the alcohol will catch up really quick, so be careful.

4.47/5  rDev +11.5%

Pours a dark clear amber with lots of red tones. Practically non-existent head.
Aroma is definately raisins...lots of dark candied raisins and dark candied fruit with just a hint of the alcohol in this brew.
Taste is MASSIVELY sweet raisin and complex candied fruits finishing to an alcohol taste and alcohol warmth going down.
Aftertaste is sweet and again, lots of dark raisin...not really cloying....nice. This is a great lingering desert brew.
I had no idea the ABV was 20% while drinking it...strong?, yes...20%?...no way. It is really well hidden.
I love a beer that takes an hour to finish a glass.
This is one of those.
Mmmmm...
Decadent.
***Edit***
Ok...beers that take an hour and a half to finish.
Mmmmm....

3.28/5  rDev -18.2%

The appearance is a cloudy burgundy color with little to head. Seems to be very flat in carbonation.

The smell is pleasantly sweet, with rich fruit, caramel malt, and very present phenol alochol aroma. Stings the nostrils.

The taste knocks you in the mouth. The alcohol bites at your palate and then warms slightly. The sweetness is good and not overpowering, but this is absolutely a sipping brew. Very powerful.

Interesting to have, but not something I would have a lot. Wow. My mouth is still catching up.

2.8/5  rDev -30.2%

12oz bottle, pours a copperish brown color. A lot of alcohol in the nose along with some raisins. Very sweet aroma that is quite rum-like. Taste is dominated by a strong alcohol presence that is sweet with malt and some dark fruit. Overall, I did not find this brew very drinkable at all. It shows off the high ABV far too much. The alcohol seems to dominate both the smell and taste.

3.88/5  rDev -3.2%

This has a good appearance, with a gorgeous amber with absolutely no head on it. The smell is all raisin and alcohol, almost like a very fruity wine. The first thing that struck me wasn't the taste, but the mouthfeel. It's very full, with almost an oatmeal-like texture (as in oatmeal stout). It's pleasant, but then, I'm not sure what I was expecthing out of this beer. The flavor roughly matches the aroma, with an alcohol upfront and then an oak-vanilla-raisin hint under. It's a very clean beer with no lingering aftertaste. I woudn't think that this is 20% alcohol. But, keeping the alcohol content in mind, I'm not sure i this is a real drinker, unless you're planning on calling it an early night.

4.53/5  rDev +13%

Bottled 8/31/05. Pours a dark amber to copper around the edges, slightly hazy, and a very small cream colored head appears and just as quickly fades away. Initial aroma shows a little bit of prunes and raisins along with a big helping of grain alcohol. There is also a red wine like tart cherry sweetness mixed in with the big alcohol aroma. The alcohol in the aroma subsides or I become numb to it further in allowing a floral-perfumy cherry sweetness and more of the rich sugariness but still just a little bit of raisins. Taste is where the raisins come thru, a big, rich sugary raisin flavor along with some caramel. The alcohol is also more evident at first in the taste as a nice spicy burn, but eventually mellows to a warmth in the throat. Not overly thick for its strength. This beer while it may not rate as high for me in aroma or appearance is incredible where taste is concerned. It is like a nice dessert port or sherry, very rich, and very well balanced for its strength, always showing the right amount of alcohol. This is one of my favorites to slowly sip at and savor each of those sips.

4.08/5  rDev +1.7%

This beer is courtesy of my good friend, and fellow Marine, Troy, the owner of Warehouse Liquor in Madison.

It pours a ruddy amber/brown with no source of head.

The smell is sugar, plum, brandy, caramel, nuts, and grapes. BE WARNED- do not stick oyur nose directly into the glass, the large alcohol content will anestisize your whole olefactory sense system. Hold the glass a few inches away.

The taste is like malty brandy, which, well, I happen to love. It finishes like a congac, strong and sweet with a lot of heat.

The moutfeel is okay, but far too limp, it makes it like grain alcohol.

All in all this is a great beer that I highly recommend, but the alcohol content a limp mouthfeel bring it down a bit as a whole.

4.58/5  rDev +14.2%

Poured into a tulip glass. I poured it straight down, yet the head dissipated to a small ring, which did linger the whole time. There was no lacing. The beer was completely opaque, with a rich mahogany color.

The aroma was quite impressive. I could smell the alcohol of course, and it also had a sort of fruity, sweet, dessert wine kind of a smell to it.

The alcohol was also detected in the flavor OBVIOUSLY, as well as sweet caramel malts, and a slight Belgian-esque yeastiness to it, but it wasn't overbearing. Raisins and cherries were definitely there in the flavor, as well as other fruit flavors I had trouble identifying. It wasn't too bitter at all.

This was relatively easy to drink despite the alcohol flavor, moreso than the World Wide Stout that I had tried last week. It had a wonderful warming character, and a creamy/syrupy mouthfeel (yet it was still well-carbonated). I definitely recommend this beer - and you may still be wondering why I gave it such high points for drinkability. I believe one must enjoy and review a 'beer' like this as if it were a fine port wine.

$9 per 12 oz. bottle

2.73/5  rDev -31.9%

On my wife's latest trip to the east coast I had her stop by a couple beer related stores near copely square and she managed to russle up 9 bottles of stuff I can't get on the west coast. This was on my list although I was thinking can a belgian strong dark get past the 20% abv. Well, in short it does manage but with mixed results.

Poured into a tulip it actually forms a decent head but the alcohol takes care of that quickly and also retention and lace are gonzo. Copper in color, almost like you'd find in darker IPA.

A nice fruitiness stabs its way out front. Body is rather lathering and syrupy. Carbonation rears its head through the body and manages to crispen it up a bit. Don't get me wrong its chewy and malted to the max but the carbonation helps. It has an underlying dark fruitiness for the style and cloying at times but once again its smacked down quickly by the drying alcohol steamer Jones.

Notes: I think its pretty clear that the abv doesn't help this brew and I like beers close to this range sometimes but this is a fricking turbine engine type of heat. Pushing the envelope on categories is great. I applaud dogfish head and look forward to the other products that made their way back in the carry on....whats that no liquid's in the carry on luggage anymore....bummer but neccessary.

4.28/5  rDev +6.7%

11/19/2005 $8.99 12 oz. 20.00% No best by date, but with such a high ABV, the bottle even states that it ages with the best of them.

Appearance:

Pours a still, syrupy thick amber-brown that idles in the glass.

Aroma:

A dab of alcohol, smothered by a heaping dose of raisins, and sweetened condensed milk/caramel.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Viscous in the mouth, flavors are in your face sweetness that is reminiscent of caramel & honey with a touch of bottrysized muscat grapes. As it warms a sherry-like nuttiness creeps into the backgroung. Another superb offering from DFH. 20% ABV is surprisingly well masked. With its subtle chocolate/nut/dark fruit characteristics, this would make an excellent aperitif.

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Pours a slightly hazy reddish brown, Virtually no head at all.
Malty. Strong Raisins and a touch of grapes in the nose. Mucho Alcohol.
Damn fine tasting. Strong on the raisons as well as the alcohol. A touch of bitterness shows.
Full bodied. Low carbonation. Syruppy and a bit chewy.
Good beer. Drinkable to the sipping extent. The raison quality is something I'm really starting to enjoy in a beer.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

This is a beer I've been looking forward to for a while, after having a few happy encounters with DFH's Raison D'Etre - thanks to Golden2wenty1 for sharing. The 20% has me completely intrigued.

Appearance; This thing looks like an ass-kicker. No head, no lacing, and just about no movement on the surface of the beer. Dirty orange brown in color, but not cloudy. Interesting murky tone. Medium/heavy viscosity.

Aroma: Raisins and strawberries. Rich toffee and molasses finish. Despite the heavy nose, there is no apparent booze or metallic bitterness. Fruits keep the nose remarkably fresh and appealing.

Taste: A dangerous fusion of strawberries, honey, raisins, with apple freshness. Booze tingle in the aftertaste is the only warning that this beer gives you. The masking of the alcohol and the rich flavor really is the hallmark of this beer. Maple syrup notes develop over a glass.

Mouthfeel: Rich and heavy, but smooth at the same time. Low carbonation balances a light alcohol tingle and keeps this drinkable. Maybe a little too sweet for such a heavy beer (contrasted with the lighter bodies of bocks, or the astringency of some heavier bodied beers).

Drinkability: Luckily the heavy body militates against drinking too much of this - the taste definitely commends further drinking. Overall, one of the most deft balancing acts I've tasted (and the reason for my high taste score), one that renders this beer a pleasure to drink and a full-palate experience at the same time.

4.15/5  rDev +3.5%

12 oz bottle enjoyed watching trivial 3rd place World Cup match with expatsteve. Cheers to 20%.

Pours a goopy, gooey, viscous fiery dark amber with no semblance of head or lacing, but leaves a syrupy slick film on the glass...intimidating.

Nose is big and vibrant with sticky notes of brown sugar, loads of "bulbous" raisins, strawberry, caramel and booooze.

Taste is sweet, but not too sweet with brown sugar, raisins, booze (duh), and caramel, husky malt in the finish.

Mouthfeel super syrupy thick, with light, thin carbonation, and lots of boozy vapors wafting through my mouth and sinuses.

This is a beast of a beer, make no mistakes about it. But for as "extreme" as it is, it produces a pretty good level of balance between booze, raisin/fruit and malt. The 20% abv is expertly hidden. At $9 a bottle its a very, VERY infrequent frivolous luxury however.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

They say it is a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, but I think they put brandy in my bottle =) LOL. If you are not a fan of the alcohol burn you feel when drinking liquor then be ware. For a 20% ABV this one is very well masked but I assure you, there is still plenty of spicy alcohol warming the belly singeing the taste buds. As a fan of brandy, Cabernet Sauvignon and Port, I enjoy this Dark Belgian style ale. My friends did not. This is definitely a love it – or – hate it beer.

Appearance: Dark orange copper color with deep purple around the edges. Decent head that fades fast (as expected).

Smell: Heavy port aroma including dark fruits, currants raisons and plum.

Taste: On this one the ethanol does stand out. I like the way the alcohol adds spice to the flavor but don’t expect that it is hidden. This to me drinks very much like a brandy. I say brandy as opposed to bourbon because of how sweet it is. Then there is the dark cherry, cedar, tobacco, black currant flavor that reminds me of a Cabernet. The sweet sugars and raisins hit for round two next to the alcohol bite on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium weight in the mouth but all the flavor certainly made it feel full. It was smooth and easy despite the massive size.

Drinkability: This is surprisingly easy to drink, but then again I did split it three was and had plenty so …

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

4.22/5  rDev +5.2%

I've been sampling some eis-bocks recently and this beer is very similar in appearance. A fiery scarlet-orange liquid, very dense to light, with some carbonation bubbles abound. Poured hard to no avail, head was nearly non-existent.

Dark burnt fruits, and caramel malt lead the way in the aroma category. Alcohol nearly burns the nose hairs away but it's not a bad type of burn. Also some toffee, cinnamon, nutmeg, and the expected raisin.

Well what can I say. Nice syrupy mouthfeel, high in RS but not cloying whatsoever. Some alcohol in the mouth and chest but again the malt, and fruit flavors help tame the beast. Big burnt caramel maltiness. Maple, toffee, cinammon, and brown sugared raisins.

I really like this. Probably can't drink more than one but I think at 20% just the fact that you can drink it is a feat in itself for a beer. Have another one.

4.33/5  rDev +8%

I've been sitting on this for somewhere between 9-12 months, as I find the DFH "potent poatables" to be a tad overpowering when fresh, yet absolutely divine with at least a year on them. In an effort to really clean out my cellar (more drinkin'!!) it was time for this. I hadn't ever sampled this beer in the 12 oz. bottle. Last I had it was a few years back, when they still were bottled in the magnums. Here we go.

Pours without much noticeable carbonation, a ruby colored rust body without any head. Smells delicious, yet alarmingly reminds me of how their World Wide Stout smells with a 2-3 years on it: ripe apple and pear, alcohol, and extremely vinuous (spelling?). I pour a little less than half the bottle into a snifter, and a few sips in, I can already feel the alcohol creeping into my brain. Yow.

Flavors have layers of complexity. Initially quite sweet, but thankfully it's all brown sugar sweetness so it's not overpowering. Red grapes and ripe plums form the middle before the dry, lasting mildly bitter alcoholic finish. You can taste the booze. Nearly all carbonation is lost at this point, which is fine of course, though there is the slightest hint in the throat as it goes down. In summary: brown sugar, fruit, booze. And lots of it. This is a serious sippin' beer, and an extremely delicious one at that. Completely reaffirming the fact that DFH's really strong-ass beers are pure magic with just a little age on them. WWS is heavenly with time; so is this. I wish I had more to put away. Whoa, I'm dizzy.

3.78/5  rDev -5.7%

Muddled, dark amber with a slight tint of rust and a very thin, sizzling head of eggshell froth.

Aroma is an explosion of sweet caramel and fruity malts with a deeply intense raisin liquor notion. The alcohol is hard to contain and it comes across as more of a liquor than a beer.

Flavor is sweet, brown sugar and buttered rum soaked raisins with just a hint of Belgian sugar and slightly fragrant yeast. It rather a one-note-pony, and it's all about the raisins.

Body is think and syruppy, each sip leaving my lips sticky and sweet. I'm glad I shared this bottle with like 10 other people, it's definately one for sipping.

4.65/5  rDev +16%

I was blown away by this beer. I need more of it. I think this one would age great. It pours a nice amber color with a ruby hue. It coats the glass like syrup. Looks inviting.

The aroma is of sweet malt and dark fruit with some pineapple aroma in there as well.

The flavor is huge malty sweetness with dark fruit all over. It is like a nice blend of figs and chocolate. This beer really reminds me of a Thomas Hardy with some more dark fruit in the finish, also a port wine.

The mouthfeel is full bodied with medium carbonation. Coats the mouth nicely leaving a ton of flavor and satisfaction.

This is a beer I wish I could drink a lot more of. I need to get more of this one to age out and see how it develops. I highly recommend this beer.

4.2/5  rDev +4.7%

Read about this in the cellaring forum. Thusly intrigued I bought a bottle to see what the buzz was all about.

A - Dark golden color with a nice ruddy complection. Just a touch of foam on the pour which quickly dissappears.

S - Sweet malts, ripe fruit and alchohol. This one lets you know it's strong right off the bat.

T - Sweet but not cloying. A nice swirl of ripe fruit and strong sweet malts. Each sip lets you know the alcohol is there. Not punishing, but very strong.

M - full bodied and strong. Warms each corner of your mouth and doesn't pretend to hide the alcohol.

D - sit back and enjoy slowly. Eat dinner first!

I think I'll cellar some of this and enjoy over time! Well done.

3.73/5  rDev -7%

Purchased at Spirits Unlimited in Redbank, NJ (highly recommended liquor store!). Served from a refrigerated (~50F) 12oz bottle, in a Newcastle pint glass. 1/06 Brwed date.

A: No head on the poor, no retention, no head at any point. Glows beautiful golden when held to the light. Kind of a cloudy unfiltered look initially. Not in the light has a muddy ruby color. Carbonation seems to be small bubbles slowly traveling upwards.

S: Sweet. Alcohol. Over-ripe raisons and fruits.

T: Alcohol burn at the back of mouth on first few sips. Sweet! As with the nose the taste is very sweet over-ripe fruits….the raisons really come through.

M: Mouthfeel is very viscous and sticky.

D: I enjoyed this one but I don’t I could drink more than one in a sitting due to sweetness and ABV! Not to mention the price (6.99 but in my area in MA it usually goes for 8.99 a bottle).

Photo of
3.33/5  rDev -17%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured a light brown with copper, no head to speak of. Smell of grape jelly moving towards raisins (surprise). The taste was more like a port than a beer, with grape/raisin flavor coming through strong, followed by pepper/heat near the end as the ABV hits you. Mouthfeel was very smooth, but drinkability was rough given the ABV. As others have said, one and done. Not sure what to do with this beer given how unique it is, but congrats to Dogfish for pushing the boundaries

3.8/5  rDev -5.2%

Picked this up at the Newington CT Bev. Poured from a 12oz bottle this beer pours a very nice color. I is like a dark amber and the smell is very sweet to the nose. The taste is of a lot of raisins and alcohol. Not a beer to have more than 2 of, a sipper. Overall I was impressed but the sweetness and alcohol does make it hard to go down. A very strong complex brew from DFH.

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%

bottled 02/31/05, sampled on may 8/06.

pours a nice copper colour, with no trace of head. no real carbonation either.

the aroma is malty, sweet, and alcoholic. there's definitely a vinous hint to it.

the taste is very raisiny and slightly sweet. the sweetness hides the alcohol pretty well and it isn't really noticeable until you swallow and get a nice warming sensation. the sweetness is not overt or sticky and is interesting and pleasant. it's a rich bready maltyness, complimented by raisins. i'd guess this is similar to raisin bread. as it warms, the alcohol shows itself a bit, but the maltyness also takes on a new depth, more wine-like, and continues to balance it out.

mouthfeel is actually not as big as you'd think. it's fairly smooth, and neither thin nor overly thick. quite drinkable.

overall this beer is very good. well balanced and it hides the alcohol well. i've tried beers with half as much alcohol that balanced it half as well, so i was pretty impressed by this. at 20% it's not the sort of beer you're going to drink on a regular basis, or have more than one at a time, but i definitely enjoyed it and think it's worth a try.

Raison D'Extra from Dogfish Head Brewery