Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Red & White - Dogfish Head Brewery

Red & WhiteRed & White

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

Reviews: 693 | Hads: 1,753
1.55/5  rDev -60.3%

Chilled bottle into a glass. Shared by chswimmer. Thanks, Craig!

A: Pours a murky magenta body in the glass. 1.5" of fluffy eggshell white head, GREAT retention, and solid lacing.

S: Pinot grapes and coriander are pretty strong in the nose; I can't pick up a lot else.

T: Pinot noir grapes definitely dominate the flavor, delivering a light woodsiness as well. Spicy coriander and bitter, citric orange peel round out the finish, along with some alcohol. It's actually pretty hot and sweet in the finish; I've never liked this combination and I don't intend to start here.

M: A very hot, syrupy mouthfeel that coats the tongue and releases DFH's signature blend of booze and sugar.

D: With each of their 750s that I've tried, I've become less interested in trying another. Dogfish Head makes some really excellent 12oz'ers, and I think I'll just stick with those. It's obvious I'm not the target market for these reserve beers.

1.87/5  rDev -52.1%

750ml bottle poured into a pilsner glass, which barely manages to contain a massive frothy white head. This very slowly settles down into a 2-finger cap that sticks around til the end. Plentiful lacing, too. The bright pink hue certainly doesn't scream 'witbier', but it's a handsome beer.

The pinot barrels come across very strongly in the nose, almost overwhelming. Loads of berry and cherry. The typical witbier orange and coriander are present, but seem to be afterthoughts. The pinot/barrel combo dominate the flavor profile as well. I wonder if this would be a vastly improved beverage if only part of the batch was aged in the barrels. And, if the ABV was bumped down a few notches; this is very boozy, very sweet stuff here (don't attempt to kill this thing solo). Tannic and vinous notes are able to cut through some of the sweetness. The orange and coriander reappear as the carbonation briefly lightens things up at the swallow. Sticky sweetness and booze linger.

Overall impression: I can't recommend this, but it seems a few tweaks away from being pretty enjoyable.

Overall impression:

2.23/5  rDev -42.8%

Appearance: amber orange-hued body with nice fluffy haed. retained some, and had some stichy head bubbles all the way up the glass. nice

Smell: toasty amber malts, and some red wine grape aroma. Lots of spices. popurri like. great visual and smell

Taste: some users describe this as too sweet. we'll I taste no sweetness, In fact it needs more grapy fruity flavor. It's syrupy, dry, and fairly tasteless with some sublte spice. like a watered down red wine.

Mouthfeel: Medium-syrupy body.

Drinkability: very disappointed. I've heard great things from friends and took the recommedation after putting this beer of for years. The worst DFH beer I have had by far .

2.26/5  rDev -42.1%

Bottled in 2009, poured into a pint glass.

Appearance brings to mind orange marmalade, with a fair amount of bubbles and lots of floaties. Thin head dissipates quickly with some lacing on the glass. Aroma is the standard witbier coriander with a little bit of tartness in the background. First sip does not go well: my initial thought is that I got a bad bottle. Sour apple, angry acidity, the tannins are there too but I don't know why. Simply WAY too many things going on here. The alcohol is well-hidden and I actually found the mouthfeel to be bubbly and highly carbonated.

I don't know what DFH was going for, but this was a drain pour for me.

2.28/5  rDev -41.5%

750ml bottle poured into SA pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy, reddish orange. Fairly dark, lots of good floaties - but overly dark for the style. Average head and retention.

S: Odd. The standard orange, coriander, and lemon notes are present, but the Pinot Noir messes with all that. Grapes, lemon and orange do not mesh too well here.

T: Very heavy on the vinous side, and light on witbier characteristics. Again, I feel the Pinot influence makes this one a mess of clashing flavors. This beer is trying to be too much, losing the satisfy qualities of a crisp Wit. Sadly, this ended as a drain pour .Attempt a great complexity and sometimes you have cherries vying with grapes, lemon and apricots for attention losing out to acidity.

M: Way too full bodied and chewy for the style. Kind of hits the stomach like a rock.

D: ABV is too high here as well.

I think DFH has strayed too far from style here. If you're expecting a wit, move on.

2.29/5  rDev -41.3%

Pours a ruby body with lots of bubbles and an off-pink thin head that leaves some thin lacing. Not very interesting in the nose. I don't pick up anything aside from what I went in thinking this beer would be like: a high abv witbier with some grape juice in it. Tastes highly sugary, medicinal, and with an odd bitterness. Reminds me of, hey, a high abv wit with too much residual sweetness and some Juicy Juice. Littlebit of tannins, but it's faint. Mouthfeel is heavy, slick, oily, and mildly carbonated. Glad I'm splitting this with someone else, but it would be better splitting this with about 10 people.

2.45/5  rDev -37.2%

A- Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Poured a pink-reddish with little to no head.

S- Nice nose. A very noticeable tartness at first. Then notes of coriander, orange and pinot grapes. Smells like you are in for a treat.

T- Unfortunately the nose is where this all the good ended on this for me. I am a wine drinker and a beer drinker but this was neither. I think they should have aged this wit in Pinot barrels not add 'Pinot Noir Extract' to it. Sorry DFH this was a let down. It tasted too tart and astringent for my palate. I finished my glassful but it was tough. I don't know how to describe it except astringent!

M- I have to say the mouthfeel was okay. Decent carbonation and weight.

D- I had about 6oz of this and that was more than enough. I am sure others like it but it was not for me.

2.51/5  rDev -35.6%

Ive got a cellar temp bottle that I pour into a tulip snifter. Splitting the bottle with Stopper.
The beer pours a bright reddish tint with fluffy soft 3 cm head foaming up easily. Aroma is mild with hints of red grape and fruit, I dont really get the coriander anywhere. There is also hints of booze.
The first sip reveals an average body with some fine rolling carbonation. Flavor is sweet and fruity but also lots of booze that is warm and affects the finish with some lingering peppery bitterness. I am not sure what the goal of this beer was, and I dont really find the coriander or orange peel anywhere, as the booze seems to overwhelm most flavors. I am disappointed with this beer and would not buy it again.

2.53/5  rDev -35.1%

<2009 vintage. cellar-temperature. pop the cap and into a sniffer> Nose is lightly hoppy/funky - probably more funky than hoppy. Actually yes, it smells rather like the inside of a medicine bottle. It has a sweet smell, maybe like oak. Notes of pepper. Smells pretty good.

Pours a deep reddish butterscotch color, moderate clarity, mild head. Looks good.

Very smooth and quite viscous. Flavor-wise it's kind of one-dimensionally medicinal - dull and lifeless. <a few more sips> There's a little malt - slightly sweet with toasty warm nut and roasted sugar - and still an overbearing sterile vibe. Some vinous notes deep, especially in the aftertaste. Alcohol heat comes near the finish, and begins to work with the medicinalness on numbing the tongue.

Maybe that sterile flavor I get is the grape juice, but I don't really see how. It does kind of remind me of a cheap cabernet, if I imagine it with less alcohol. Yes, come to think of it, it has the kind of super-dry mouth-numbing/coating characteristics of a dry red wine.

I don't like it. Nothing about it is appealing in the way I enjoy good beers or good wine. It's raw, harsh, considerably unpleasant, and (most importantly) boring. I couldn't get the waves of flavor some describe, it's just the same watered-down cheap red wine flavor, sip after unpleasant sip. Some odd-tasting beers are unpleasant and interesting, but this is hard to drink and uninspired.

In summary: "It's just the same watered-down cheap red wine flavor, sip after unpleasant sip."

2.56/5  rDev -34.4%

Poured into 5 oz tasting glass as part of a 5 beer DFH flight at the Brewpub.

A-Deep red and orange color. Nice looking beer but it's all downhill for me from there.

S-Fruity but a bitter kind of fruity. Not really noticing anything in particular which was a sign of things to come.

T-Definately taste the woody grape flavors of the Noir and the Malt in the beer, but the combination of the 2 did not mesh well. Even had a medicinal like taste. Not what I expected at all but I think it may have cured my cough.

M-Syrupy feel in the mouth and warming going down.

O-I love Pinot Noir and I love beer but the 2 tastes together were like a science experiment gone awry. I am a huge DFH fan and give them credit for taking more chances than most breweries but I can not endorse this one. Sorry Sam!!

2.56/5  rDev -34.4%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy copper with a white head that disipates quickly leaving no lace.
S - A definate fruity bitterness but nothing too exciting
T - Citrus and yeast with a tiny burn left over from some trace hops combined with the alcohol.
M - Syrap and murky yeast mouthfeel with little carbonation.
D - Was excited to try this beer but it did not really come through. Would drink again but only if it were a gift.

2.57/5  rDev -34.1%

Poured into my new Brooklyn Brewery pilsner glass with a minimal head . Dark copper color very nice looking brew in the glass . The aromas are fruity and a tad spicy . A real chore to find any smells that come to mind . Sediment floats all around the glass . Taste-wise it is nothing to jump for joy about . Wheaty yes but nothing else comes to mind . After the first sip there is lacing on the glass . Boozy flavor with some bitterness . Second glass with the bottle warmed up the brew is a chore to drink . This started to be a big let down and maybe the one DFH product I will not purchase again . It is a bit too boozy for me .

2.58/5  rDev -33.8%

Pours a hazy, muddled red with a lazy white head that works it's way down. A juicy alcohol dominates the smell with a little yeast and coriander back it up. Thick sugar lets me know what kind of body I'm in for.

Coriander and citrus sit on the tongue while a bitter grape juice coats the mouth. Sugar isn't as prevalent in the taste as it was in the smell, but the grape juice is mudding everything up. Tannic bitterness at the end with a Punchy quality yeast bite. Oh yeah some more juice is there too.

Mouthfeel is a little slick with an overly thick body so it rushes into your stomach like water down a slide to create the ultimate stomach ache. Not too drinkable in my mind as you can tell. You can get a quality bottle of Pinot Noir (Hayman & Hill) and a single of wit for cheaper and enjoy them on their own for what they are.

2.66/5  rDev -31.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a white zin looking pink. Rosey orange color with a large white tuft. Retention is a persistent layer of tiny bubbles that deposit themselves all over the glass. Nice.

Aroma is of course grapes and coriander but also a dry sweat and sawdust scent. Not sure if that's from the yeast, the barrel or both. I kinda like it though.

Taste is dry, woody grape with a sweet, sweet malty accompaniment. Offensively sweet and cloying. Some orange in the back which is the only real witbier component I picked up. Bigger isn't always better and I think this beer would have been better served around 6%.

More syrupy than I'd like but not terribly off-putting.

I split the bottle through 3 sittings over the day and it was still too sweet to finish. The last few ounces ended up in the drain.

DFH is as DFH head does. They're great for the same reason they're not so great - they take chances with exotic ingredients and processes. Sometimes it's good, sometimes it's bad, but usually it's pretty average with a high price tag. Red & White is a combination of the latter two.

2.71/5  rDev -30.5%

For me this beer was a disappointment...perhaps my hopes were too high?

A: This beer has a gorgeous appearance. The beer pours a clear golden color with a spectacular reddish hue and white frothy red/tinged head. The appearance is easily the best part about this beer.

S: The aroma is of wit yeast with a slighty fruity nose of wine.

T: For me, the taste of wit was completely overshadowed with an upleasant wine/alcohol flavor? Too much of a wine blend for me, or perhaps its too young?

M: Standard light mouthfeel

D: Unfortunately, due to the unpleasant taste I had a tough time finishing the bottle. For me, one of the less pleasant experiments from dogfishhead. Perhaps it will improve with age?

2.73/5  rDev -30%

Not sure if DFH decided to call this a witbier or not, but I think it misses the mark for the style.

Dull ruby pour, some gold in it to brighten it up. A nice foamy head developed quickly, but then receded just as hastily, leaving me wondering if this is normal. Kinda filmy.
Some dark fruits are present in the nose, as well as well pine...someone suggested oak. I don't get oak, maybe ash. It smells like a light red wine, but is a bit musky.
Meh, taste is dull as well. Some dark cherries and hints of orange dance around, but don't land very hard. Hints of clove, and then a slight surge of wood. Not sure which. Pine, perhaps green oak....
Not a drinkable beer for me. For a wit this leaves me in want of spice, lemon, lightness, richness. Will not buy again....may drink it again if offered for free.

2.76/5  rDev -29.2%

Had this at the Amsterdam Bar in Dallas.

Beer poured a nice hazy red color with a decent white head on it in a Unibroue sniffer. Lacing was strong on the glass and a decent low head was constant. The smell coming off the brew was bland at best, very minor sweet notes. Really challenging to get any good smells here. Taste was just as bland. I could almost taste the yeast I think they used in Chateu Jaihu in the aftertaste, which was probably the high light of this brew. If I didn't drop 15 bucks on it I would have just done a drain pour. I had a hard time WANTing to finish it, and none of my friends were up to drink it either. Just wasn't that exciting to me. That said I'm not a wine fan/appreciator either. So maybe it was just me.

2.78/5  rDev -28.7%

Poured from a bottle into a DFH snifter. The pour is a hazy apricot orange with a slight hint of red. The head is very fine and 2 fingers high and it leaves some nice lacing on the glass. The nose is faint, but I do get notes reminiscent of a Belgian wit. I get some orange and coriander and a slight, woody, almost grassy kind of aroma.

The beer has a medium body and a very firm mouthfeel. Carbonation is not too high, but the flavor still seems quite intense. The beer gives very strong, syrupy, over-ripe orange and pineapple flavors on the front of the palate. At mid-palate, some wood, cherry, and oak flavors start to creep in along with a bit of alcohol. The alcohol is definitely noticeable here and it does not help the composition at all. Moreover, the dark fruit notes that are contributed by the pinot noir juice clash quite badly with the over-ripe citrus notes. I don't find the flavor to be pleasing at all. The strong syrupy fruit notes, subtle woody flavor, and presence of alcohol make me think of cough medicine.

I really wanted to like this beer. The description of it sounded like a brilliant and delicious concoction. I like witbiers and I like red wine. It seems natural I would enjoy a beverage that tries to combine the best of both. Unfortunately, I do not. I will say that I believe this beer has an intense and complex flavor profile and tastes exactly the way the brewer wants it to taste. I am sure it will please a lot of people. I am disappointed that I am not one of them.

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

Pours a deep coppery-brown color with medium, off-white head and some lacing, hints of amber if held up to the light.

Strong bready malt aroma, with hints of coriander and orange, and substantial but not overpowering oak.

Some maltiness up front, very earthy and woody, without any real discernible hop profile. Slightly sweet and grapy. Alcohol definitely comes through at the finish.

Good carbonation, slightly astringent. A bit sweet but well-balanced.

A very interesting beer, quite unique. I appreciate the effort but I really do not like the oak character on a witbier; it somehow clashes with the spices/yeast.

2.81/5  rDev -27.9%

Poured in to a pint class.

A: This beer pours a deep burnt orange, amber color with a one finger of khaki, sudsy color head. Tons of sediment floating around. Head recedes immediately and leaves minimal lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is lots of booze, orange peel, caramelized malts, and a hint of spice.

T: Taste starts extremely boozy in the forefront. Whoa. Then the orange peel flavoring comes through with a hint of spicing. Finish is when an offbalanced strong caramel malt flavor takes over.

M: Medium to fuller body, medium carbonation, slick and oily body.

O: Goes down ok, not overly tasty, somewhat filling, big kick, not a very good representation of the style. This is a one and done beer for me.

2.9/5  rDev -25.6%

I'm always excited to try DFH's unique offerings, so I was pretty excited when I found this at Whole Foods.

A- Red and White pours light reddish gold, with a small amount of head. Pours pretty thick for a wit.
S- Smells like a wit with everything the label promises. Spices, orange, grapes, a little bit of oak. The alcohol is noticeable in the smell as well.
T- Unfortunately this is where this beer goes downhill for me. After the first sip the first thing I thought was "boozy and cloying". As I moved through the beer, the alcohol was noticeable much more in some sips than others, but when it was noticeable it was boozy and unpleasant as opposed to warming in my opinion. Red and White is sweet to the point of being cloying for me. Usually I don't have a problem with sweet beers but this one was over the top. The wine like flavor from the grapes was interesting, and the hints of oak were nice as well, but these aspects that work well take a backseat and are overshadowed by the sweet booziness.
M- Syrupy, coating the inside of the mouth and throat. Very noticeable 10% abv.
D- I split the bottle two ways with a friend. Honestly, I could have split it 6 or 7 ways and still have had enough of this beer.

Overall this one misses the mark with me, but I am left with no lower of an opinion of DFH because of it. I love the unique beers that they offer and the fact that they are constantly pushing the envelope when it comes to styles. With so many "off centered ales" in their lineup, of course there are going to be a few that I don't like. In my mind they make up for it though every time they blow me away with something unique and different that I haven't tried before. So, overall even though I didn't like it I am glad I tried Red and White, and I won't hesitate to continue buying from DFH.

2.9/5  rDev -25.6%

Sampled March 2007
Pours a brilliantly clear, though opaque unless held up to the light, it is a deep reddish color and is topped by a frothy, initially three finger thick, pink-tinged, pale, perhaps tan, white head. The aroma is interesting; fruity with notes of berries, plus some definite austere, woody-tannic character. Perhaps a touch of leather, touch of dried leaf character that is not quite tobacco, but really the fruity grape aromatics are the dominant notes in the nose.

Quite thick feeling on the tongue, it is almost syrup-like in its thickness. It is perhaps not quite as sweet as the thickness would suggest, but this beer is still quite sweet. The sweetness accentuates berry flavors as well as some hints of strawberry. Grassy malt notes are noticeable in the middle, and linger on into the finish. A touch of sharpness is found towards the end; it seems to be a mix of prickly carbonation and some slight hop bitterness. A touch of earthy spiciness is also in the finish; it is a touch green, perhaps indicative of some American coriander. The finish has some light woody / tannic notes to it.

I had some hopes for this brew, while it is not as unbalanced as some of Dogfish Head's higher alcohol brews. I am quite surprised by the tangelo character here; it is not really evocative of citrus (don't get me wrong, there are some notes here). All in all this brew is a disappointment; it seems to lack a depth of flavor and a finesse that I was hoping for, plus it just doesn't say Wit to me either. At least there are no off flavors here, it is just that this combination of flavors just don't hold my interest.

2.98/5  rDev -23.6%

22oz bottle purchased from Liquor Barn Hamburg

Pours golden tan with a reddish hue. Thick creamy head that lasts for several minutes.
Through the head of the beer, the nose is musty almost like cheap grape juice or communion wine. I didn't realize this was a witbier at the time, but it makes sense now because of the fruity undertones (orange, lemon & blueberry?). First sip, ok - this beer is very complex. The mustiness is consistent throughout. It's not so bad in the beginning, but I continued to drink the beer it got old quick. The mouthfeel is dry and oaky and still musty. I would hate for this to be the last beer that I drink because of the unsatisfying aftertaste.

Overall, I recognize that this beer is very complex, particularly for the style, but for me it misses the mark. DFH has blended wine characteristics with beer very well in the past, but the end result here just didn't do anything for me. Also, admittingly reflected in the rating is the pricetag. At $15+, I could've done a lot better.

appearance: reddish with an orange hue. Foamy pink head that mostly diminished. Also murky.

smell: Coriander and peppery with a slight mold scent to it. Also got a strong scent of sulfur (fruit ester) sort of like white wine.

taste and mouthfeel: Medium body, watery, lively carbonated that started off moderately sweet and also ended sweet.

Personally, I did not like this brew but my wife really enjoy it alot and purchased more. I do have to take into account that this a Dogfish Head brew which is an extreme experience everytime. With that said I will be fair.

3.03/5  rDev -22.3%

750ml brown bottle, bottled on 2/9/07, 10% ABV.

Red tinged amber that pours with a pink cast and initially looked liked some sort of pink sparkling wine or soda. A cushiony, frothy head of dirty white foam with a brush of pink rests atop. Slow moving small bubbled carbonation columns laze upwards. The head steadily settles itself, coming to rest at a thin skim, and leaving webby lace only at the top. Orange rind and sweet red wine aromas are fruity and reminiscent of sangria. There is a bit of spiciness beneath the fruit, but overall it has a fairly sweet nose. Coriander is strong initially, but the red wine sweetness comes on strong and overwhelms this. Medium-full body with just a bit of fine carbonation, there is a heaviness to the mouthfeel and it lacks the crispness and snap of a wit. Finishing with the slimmest drying red wine edge before the sweetness again washes through. The 10% alcohol is fairly well hidden, which is a plus. Red and White at times reminded me of Midas Touch and Chateau Jiahu. This seems to be trying to be too many things without doing any of them particularly well. One $12 bottle was more than enough and in actuality, a single glass would have been plenty.

Red & White from Dogfish Head Brewery