Red & White - Dogfish Head Brewery

Red & WhiteRed & White

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  10.00% ABV

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006)
4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

A-Poured a nice amber orange color into my dogfish head snifter.
small head fades quickly.

S- sour fruit smell. hint of oak

T- Sweet syrupy malt, slight citrus hop flavor. candi sugar, but not overly sweet. peppery. hint of oak in the finish. the grape juice comes out a lot more as it warms up, i sipped on this one for a while.

M- heavy carbonation. smooth silky mouthfeel, coats my mouth with goodness.

D- very nice. complex, but still highly drinkable. try some.

duffextracold, Feb 02, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle at the Dilly Deli.

Poured clear reddish amber with an average frothy white head that was mostly diminished with an fair lacing. Moderate spicy citrus aroma. Medium body with sticky texture. Medium balanced citrus flavor with a medium sweet finish of moderate duration.

My expectations where met with a standout beer.

tmoneyba, Feb 01, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Had this one at Zeno's last night as well...Hmmm...

Poured a murky amber color with a fluffy head that dissipated to an outer ring. Beer had persistent carbonation.

Had a very interesting smell; a bit of exotic yeast, currant and citrus.

The flavor tasted heavily of candied sugar, but wasn't overly sweet. Also hints of fruit, ethanol and yeast; taste can be best described as a gussied up trippel...

Atricapilla, Jan 31, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Big thanks to Dave at Zeno's for getting this one. Had one last night at the pub...

A: Pours a murky lemon copper color with a solid one finger head that dissipates to a thin ring. Some active carbonation can be seen flowing up the glass.

S: Very, very interesting. I guess that is why Dogfish is all about the "extreme" beer theme. This beer smells "extreme." Tons of sweet light candi sugar in the scent that is enveloped by raisins, currants, lemon and orange all bundled into this amazing beer.

T: The taste is very sweet, but in a good way. Tons of light candi sugar and Belgian yeast spice. But the real kicker here is the great fruit flavors. Amazing raisin, currant, cherry, lemon, and orange flavors are all wrapped up in there. For 10ABV, the alcohol is NOWHERE to be seen.

Overall, this one is a great offering by Dogfish head. I doubt I will find this on tap again, but will definitely pick up a bottle or two next time.

treyrab, Jan 31, 2009
4.5/5  rDev +16%

Pours an orangish cedar color with a silky tan head. The nose has honey malts, delicate flowery hops, peppery alcohols, white grapes, orange, spices and oak. The taste is equally complex. The vast amount of individual flavors meld together perfectly. An artisan ale that will get better and better in years to come. I'd really like to try this uncut from the pinot barrels...

rye726, Jan 30, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

I've had this on tap many times at the DFH alehouse in Gaithersburg.

The color is a slightly murky, dull orange with a little red. Not spectacular but a rather pleasing color that seems very appropriate for the taste. There was a small, fairly white head when my snifter was brought to me, but it disappeared quickly.

There were no real strong smells in this beer. On first whiff, oranges and a restrained spiciness. As the drink got warmer the spices become louder.

The taste starts off like a regular witbier, orange and spicy, but as it fades in the middle, a fruity (more oranges, peaches) red wine-like character comes through, which is then prominent in the finish. There is not a big bite at the end as I've had with some regular witbiers; you get a complex array of subtle tastes instead, with a hint of oak at the end.

The mouthfeel is slightly heavier than perhaps first expected, but it's certainly not too much. Some carbonation in the beginning but fairly smooth overall.

This is one of DFH's lighter specialty brews; I had two last night and felt like I could have had another.

This is not really a witbier, it is another one of DFH's delightful brews that can't be put into a single category. An excellent beer well worth the price.

WorldWideStout, Jan 26, 2009
4.43/5  rDev +14.2%

I had this one at the FFF Brewpub on 1/22/2009.

A= This ale poured a deep, hazy amber color with a 1/2" frothy white head. The head dropped to a skim in a couple minutes and left some spotty lace down the glass.

S= Aromas of fruit, malt sweetness, and Belgian funky yeast abound. Citrus and grape comprise a lot of the fruit character.

T= A heady blend of sweet fruit, malts, esters, and funky yeast combined to make this a very tasty brew. Though the overall impression was sweetness, there was a decent amount of tartness and a little dryness too (especially in the finish).

MF= Medium bodied with a spritzy carbonation level.

D= I was very impressed with this...another successful bending of the "rules" by Dogfish Head! Very drinkable despite the ABV. I could easily kill a big bottle of this by myself.

spointon, Jan 24, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

Appearance - Pours a clear amber with a fluffy white head.
Smell - Sweet, fruity notes in addition to alcohol.
Taste - Initially sweet with fruity (mostly grape) flavor. The coriander really helps bring the beer together and it finishes with a trace of tannin.
Mouthfeel - This beer is smooth and full with a steady finish. It works very well with the rest of the beer.
Drinkability - Relatively easy to drink and an interesting beer, but not something I would want to drink throughout the night.
Overall - Definitely interesting and a good beer, though probably not one I will buy again. The best parts of this beer are the mouthfeel and the coriander.

Aenema, Jan 17, 2009
4.4/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

What a wonderful twist on the wit - simply wonderful as I picked it up for a flat $7 --- try buying a pinot noir for that

I really enjoyed the oaked experience in this brew than most oaked beers I've had - in that it sits in the back allowing the more important flavors to showcase their own talents

pours hazed orange with whiffs of sweet fruit, vanilla, and pinot noir. flavors of mayhaw jelly, mint, and vanilla again - oaked but not overwhelming, thanks.

brandoneast, Jan 09, 2009
3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Gotta LOVE DFH's extreme beers. Can't wait to try the new brew at the FEST..

Poured a nice Amber/Orange (maybe Mahogany?) tone with a very thin white foam that settled awfully quickly. Pretty spectacular lacing if you ask me though

First thing I picked up on was the alcohol notes. I deffinatly picked up on the orange peels as well. The spices that make this baby a Witbier is also very noticable too.

Taste like oranges and grapes. Very Spicey. GREAT BALANCE and complexity.

cleeze, Dec 19, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +19.8%

Pours a dark, cloudy amber/ orange color with a thin foamy white head that quickly setles. Citrus orange peel aroma with malt and smokey wood or oak hints. Very smooth and well balanced with sweet citrus fruit and lemon peel countering the smokey oak dryness. Slightly sour aftertaste. Very quaffable, high ABV very well hidden.

corby112, Dec 06, 2008
3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

A- Body is a nearly transparent bright pink color that pours with a nice foamy white head initially but this head subsides quickly and barely leaves traces of lacing all the way down the glass.

S- Alcohol, coriander and blush wine aromas all come through equally.

T- Definitely has a white wine flavor upfront with lots of fermented grape flavor coming through and the finish being very dry. Honestly, this initially tastes like arbor mist. The kicker in this one is the coriander which makes a bigger and bigger spicy presence as you drink further down the glass.

M- Medium to high carbonation and dry phenolic body.

D- The spiciness of this one is definitely the highlight. The alcohol is very noticeable and if it wasn't for the foamy cap in a blind tasting I would think this was a wine. Would be a good transition beer for the wine drinker.

PittBeerGirl, Nov 21, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours with a huge offwhite foam that sticks around for a long time if untouched. Once I started to drink it broke down. Color is light, almost a peach or pinkish. I guess I should note that I am pouring into a fairly small hotel cup, so it will take several pours.

The smell is clean, Belgian straight away, corriander, oranges. There is an X factor here that I can't quite nail. Maybe it is the Pinot Noir but it isn't immediately obvious to me. Good though. Taste is similar to the smell at first but the middle and finish have much more of the wine influences. The aftertaste is very berrylike and I really dig it.

Like most DFH beers I am a fan. They are easily my favorite brewery. I know the Bros. are pushing for "drink local" but sorry...DFH is too good not to have in the line up.

Also...as a "big" beer @10% I can't really give this a high drinkability score. 4 is the max I give out for something I can only have one bottle a night.

hobbes2112, Nov 20, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -9%

picked this one up because i heard it was kinda rare

saved it for a while and poured it the night the phillies one the world serries ( I thought it was appropriate )

I must say I was expectly something differnt

it falls under the witbier category, but it was really hard to taste the wheat
it was not very cloudy and it wasnt overly sweet either

probably wouldnt buy it again, but then again I think my pallet was just expecting something else

gdfan47, Nov 10, 2008
3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

had on 6.22.08 with Gillespie at home.

nice orangy brown color. not much head, and what was there, was gone quickly. my friend had a nice head in his pour, so maybe it was my glass.

nice smell. smell the coriander but not many other spices. sweet malty smell with a little fruity orange citrus smell underneath.

great taste. wow. another gem from DFH. the tastes blend well together and spready nicely in the mouth. not one for heavy consumption, but a wonderful flavored beer.

Hophead101, Oct 29, 2008
3.65/5  rDev -5.9%

The beer pours a luxurious creamy head that really looks nice in the glass.

The smell definitely reminds me of the pinot notes that are sure to follow in this beer.

The taste starts with a great mix of sweat corn and dark fruit in the front but it finishes with an overly harsh alcohol bite in the back.

It was a great weight in the mouth.

The only real problem I had with this beer was that it had too high of an ABV. I thought the 10% ABV on the label pulverized some of the more subtle flavors that came across in the front.

Still a great beer though. I would definitely have again. Would pair excellently with beef or veal

JeffV, Oct 27, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours reddish orange with a head that actually has some pinkishness (help me out here, Funk & Wagnalls) to it. The head doesn't stick around for long, and I'm not getting much lacing. The yeast floating around combined with the color of the beer makes for pretty picture.

The smell is kinda fruity and reminds me of a Beligian-style brew. Imagine that, being that it's a wit at heart.

The flavor is where things get quite interesting. I detect the coriander and whatnot on the wit side of things, but I can definitely pick up some pinot noir character. As a person that can't stand wine, I'm pleased to say that the combination flat-out works. This beer is pretty damned tasty. And at 10%, the alcohol isn't too assertive either. It's just right.

Mouthfeel is a bit slick, but it's certainly a touch more than medium-bodied. Dry on the finish, too. And that's always a plus to me.

I wasn't sure if I could go as high as I did on drinkability, given that we're looking at 10%, but for the amount of alcohol that's in it, this stuff is very easy to put back. I'm not saying that I'm planning on slugging down another 750 ml bottle any time soon -- and at $11.99, who could blame me? -- but I definitely dig this beer.

BigJim5021, Oct 26, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

This is one of the more interesting beers I've had recently. As with most DFH brews, it's simultaneously intense and subtle. While the alcohol may seem high, the flavors are subtle and blend well on the pallet. Although it is a blend of a witbier and an ale that was aged in wine barrels, I thought the wine nodes took a distinctive backseat. You could argue that's a good thing, since this is a beer, but I think the hybrid of the two here was juuuust missed.

Overall this is a very enjoyable beer that is worth a try by everyone who enjoys good beer.

BBM, Oct 24, 2008
4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

One of Dogfish Head's strongest brews out of their numerous selection. A beautiful combination of a pinot noir and a witbier. Not many breweries would even attempt this brew. I think this is an amazing combination. Pours a reddish, dark orange color with minimal white head. almost zero visibility, much cloudiness. Some bubbles which caught me by surprise. Smell of coriander and oranges as you would expect a white. then the red wine flavor comes into play with the taste. married beautifully, and goes down like you expect it to...smoothly. overall, exceeding expectations and worth every penny i spent on the case.

chefdaddy18042, Oct 19, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

Note: this beer was over a year old when I opened it.

Poors a amber orange color with a nice creamy head. Great color. The beer is filled with sediment but I should have let it settle a little longer. Large flakes of sediment do not settle quickly in the glass as FINE carbonation is long lasting.

Citrus and other fruits are most of the nose. light alcohol notes. subtle smells, nothing jumps off the beer.

Alot of tastes on the pallet. Fine carbonation goes really well with slight tartness. Leaves you wondering which was all over your taste buds. Tart orange and coriander are obvious. Alot of other flavors are subtle and hidden by each other. Nicely done alcohol notes remain on the roof of the mouth. Well hidden 10% abv, just the right amount of alcohol notes come through.

Marked it down for drinkability because it gets slightly syrupy when it warms up (about 50)

imagineiii, Oct 19, 2008
4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

Dogfish Head Red & White pours up with a big, puffy pinkish-white head that sits atop a bright pink champagne-cranberry colored body. Head dissipates rather quickly. The fruity (blackberry, cherry, grape, plum, prickly pear) aroma presents a lovely varietal grape character (foxy, floral, spicy) with subtle citrus (orange, pommelo, tangelo) notes. Very complex with nuances such as cilantro/coriander, earthiness, oak, peppercorn, sherry, and vanilla. Alcohol is noticeable, but not distracting. The flavor starts of with a plethora of fruitiness mostly grape, berry & citrus. The fruitiness is nicely supported by a solid wheatberry breadiness & spiciness. Light bitterness, low sweetness. The acidity creates a dry, tart, warming finish. This medium bodied fruit beer is amazingly complex with lots of fruit character packed into one bottle. If you enjoy fruit beers, then this one's definitely worth seeking out. Red & White... there's gonna be a fight!

CHEERS! Beertracker

Beertracker, Sep 24, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Appearance: Fizzy like champagne, with a suitably weak head - but that's not to say this isn't an attractive beer. Darker than I expected (I expected a sort of light pinkish color), an even, brownish orange that calls to mind autumn leaves.

Smell: Exactly as expected - a pitch-perfect harmony of Witbier and red wine. Citric and spicy with notes of ripe raspberry, stone fruit, and champagne; alcohol kicks in with a suggestion of Southern Comfort.

Taste: Amazing - at first, this doesn't taste like what it is, it just tastes like a really good, nuanced tripel. Upon further exploration, however, the red wine and oak become very apparent, as a lush, slightly tart fruitiness and woody dryness. Alcohol is a bit hot, but it works with the flavors, and the orange is surprisingly assertive - which leads me to think that the bitter, zesty rind flavor comes not from the orange but from hops.

Mouthfeel: The spritzy bubbles unfortunately amplify the alcohol head, but on the other hand they work perfectly with the dry-and-fruity champagne qualities of the beer.

Drinkability: Complex, interesting, robust, and expensive... this one's a sipper!

soulgrowl, Sep 16, 2008
3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle, approximately $12.39 at Brown Jug Warehouse, Anchorage, AK. A yellow code is printed on the side of the bottle, but it's difficult to know what it might indicate about dates/batch.

Appearance: deep, slightly hazy reddish orange. Pours with a decent, dense, off-white ehad that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving behind almost no lacing.

Aroma: orange and sweet, tangy candi sugar notes dominate. Some hints at citrus hops. A little alcohol is evident in the nose.

Taste: sweet and slightly sharp, with distinct sweet orange and citrus. Belgian yeast characteristics, with a slight (but certainly not unpleasant) twang. A definite alcohol warmth. I don't really get any of the red wine characteristics, even when I'm looking for them. It's primarily a sweet, thick imperial belgian wheat style.

Mouth: thick, and moderate/average carbonation, with alcohol warmth. I actually think it would be improved with a higher carbonation, to cut the thick sweetness a little.

Overall, a fun, interesting beer that I'm glad I tried, but I seriously doubt I'd buy it again.

warmstorage, Sep 15, 2008
3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

750 ml bottle shared with friends over hummus, olives, & flatbread. Poured into snifters.

Pours a light copper/orange color with a small bubbly head.

The coriander hits my right away, a faint citrus, musty, and strong sweet aroma.

Big fruity grape flavor, has a Belgian wit like flavor, some oakiness but not dominate for me, tart, wow. Wish I knew how old this bottle is. Very unique taste.

Very effervescent & bubbly, Quite refreshing.

Glad I didn't try to tackle this bottle by myself. Made to be sampled by many & talked about it's uniqueness.

bbothen, Sep 01, 2008
4.97/5  rDev +28.1%

I have been very excited about trying this beer, nice Sunday treat.
Pours out a cherry hazy toned, murky thickness,beautiful white effervescent head. Tons of yeasts swirling around, looks utterly delicious.
Aromas- yeasts, funkiness, cherry-oaks, ruby red grapes, tangy berries, cranberries. Aroma is of a light cherry lambic with a huge dosage of fresh yeasts. Notes of pinot and Belgian yeasts create this delicate interplay that is utterly complex and fantastic for picking out the nuances of each.
Taste is up front in-your-face super yeasty witbier. Then you are met with a flood of oaks, sour grape tones, smoky pinot tones yeasts, finishes pure pinot with lingering Belgian spiciness
Mouth feel is thick, powerful, yet end slightly sweet and spicy. each sip is Belgian Wit and Pinot in a delicate yet perfect balance.
I cannot even fathom how they managed to accomplish this beer. In a world where beer geeks and wine snobs hate each other, refuse to understand why the other likes their beverage of choice, Dogfish has managed to take the best of both worlds and combine them in this awesome drink. It isn't really beer, it isn't really wine. We'll just call it a peace treaty.

czfreeman, Aug 24, 2008