Red & White - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

Poured out of 750ml bottle into pint glass.

A- Penny copper in color. Pretty good, thick head that is lacing before I even take a sip. Head is creamy and eggshell white, settling after 3-5 mins.

S- Can smell it from a couple feet away, this beer is aromatic. Closer I smell candied dried fruit, apricots or green apple skin. Very potent and very inviting. The spice, like clove or cinnamon, is there as well, but not as prominent.

T- Sugar is first on the tongue. A spice (coriander) hits the back. Very tasty. Citrusy hops do a good job here, being the most prominent. I detect traces of ginger root, and a tartness is there, too... subtle though. This isn't like most witbiers, but I like it...

M- velvety and drying on different parts of the tongue. Hops do a wonderful job of masking the alcohol, which is barely there outside of a little heat. Good carbonation goes a long way to making this 10% go down smooth.

D- Fairly high, if you like the beer. This is a unique beer, and I can understand how people would be put off if they were looking for a standard witbier. But DFH doesn't do standard. And what they've been able to do with this is pretty darn good. Not my favorite 750ml DFH release (Squall IPA barely edges out Sah'Tea), I still really enjoy this beer.

Compared to your average witbier, this one has a lot more flavor. The malt sweetness and the hop flavors are a lot stronger than your average beer. However, this beer doesn't reach beyond its limits- It stays in check and is a pleasure to drink. I bought 2 750mls, and will keep one on hold for a while to see how it is at a later date. Still, if you like DFH or unusual, flavorful beers, you won't be disappointed.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

1 pint 9.6oz bottle at Union Jack Pub And Restaurant (Winchester, VA)

Bottle stamped "bottled in 2009"

Poured a very nice deep dark orange with noticeable particles floating in the beer. The beer produced a huge off white head that was well retained. Nice lacing and a thin cap remained.

Nice aroma, sweet, Belgian sugars and citrus.

The taste is excellent, same as aroma nice and strong, citrus. Very slight pinot flavor.

The beer has a medium feel, smooth, clean, very creamy and very easy to drink given the ABV, no noticeable hints of the alcohol, but the ABV does get to you before you can finish the bottle. Overall a very nice Witbier.

3.52/5  rDev -9.3%

A- Brassy almost golden ginger ale in appearance

S- Belgium citrusy scents with a little hay

T- I can taste the Belgian citrusy hops but where is the pinot?

M- Creamy, soft, perfect carbonation

D- Ehhh... it was a good beer, but my expectations were much higher. I picked up little if no pinot influence.

Pours a hazy medium amber color, with a moderate off-white head that retains very well.

Aroma is fruity, with wine quality, following up with some oak, and alcohol in the background.

Flavor seems malty upfront, with some citrus, spices and other fruits mixed in. Has a bit of a bready quality, and has hints of oak towards the finish. Hints of a wine-like taste in the aftertaste. Finishes fairly dry, certainly not sweet. Slight bitterness, but not overly pronounced.

Medium body, but definately has a thick feel. Moderate carbonation. Other than a faint note in the nose, alcohol is hidden well in the aroma and taste, though warming is certainly evident. Very interesting brew that has a lot of flavor complexity to offer. Very easy to drink, and one I'll have again.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

750ml bottle poured into hexagon wit glass. Murky, orangish tea color, white head. Ok, not as pretty as I expected.

Booze, coriander, belgian yeast mustiness as far as the aromas.

Winy right away. Grapey. Spicy, coriander flavors. Quite tasty. Boozey in a good way. Citrus.

Medium bodied, nice fizziness. Maybe a little thiner than I would have expected, still great.

Overall very flavorful, obviously, it's a DFH beer. Paired smartly with rotisserie chicken, eggplant, tomatoes, etc. A great beer to have dinner with. Pair it with savory foods. Cuts through grease nicely and adds spice and citrus flavors.

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

This was one of those beers that helped turn me towards the craft scene. I thought it needed to be revisited...

1 pt. 9.6 fl. oz. bottle brewed in 2009 poured into an oversized wine glass (thanks again for the bottle spacecowboy)...

Lively and bubbly one finger of white sticky head that seems to sustains itself quite well. Deep orange, almost pink, body with quite a bit of haze to it. Very reminiscent of grapefruit juice at Grandma's house...some sediment was also floating to the top.

A very muted yeast aroma, followed up with some hints of orange and coriandor. Very to style...until the grapes start to present themselves. A very weak vinous aroma presents itself to remind us of the pinot barrels used. Muted yet balanced...

Not as good as I had remembered flavorwise...banana and some bubblegum, mostly dominated by coriandor and cloves. The grapes can be noticed near the finish...a very dry finish.

Nice body with nice carbonation. Good overall mouthfeel.

You can sense the alcohol, or at least I did as I finished the bottle. Not overtly boozy, but I just can't handle that much spice in my beer.

Maybe my pallete has matured, because this seems a bit weak. It's a good take on the style but it seems like it is missing something.

4.36/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Pours a hazy orange color. At first a two finger white head forms. The foam quickly recedes, and little lace is left behind.
S: Some funky and sour barnyard aromas at first that is really enjoyable. Orange, lemon, and banana fruits come out as well as some light spicy coriander. A vinegary almost oaky wine character comes out toward the end. This does not smell like any wit I have ever had.
T: Not as complex as the nose, though very good none the less. Orange, banana, and other citrus fruits with spicy coriander. A light sour and funkiness lingers on.
M/D: A medium body and well carbonated. Very creamy. Easy and smooth to drink. The alcohol is not very noticeable. Something I am having no problems sipping on.

This is like no other Witbier I have tried. It definitely has the fruitiness and spice of a Witbier. Though there is a great barnyard/sourness going on that I love, and really distinguishes this from any other beer of this style.

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%

Thanks to jdmek9 for this one. Enjoyed in a pils glass.

A: At the pour, this brew looks exactly like the beer in the goblet on the label does. Golden and some reddish and orange tones. Small head with a thin layer of retention.
S: White wine, and some serious oaky aromas revealing the two barrels used to make this beer possible. As it settles, the coriander and orange citrus rind really come out. Wheat and spices on the nose. Very complex aromas, and very inviting.
T: Really refreshing wheat up front, like a good wit should have. Alcohol is noticeable as the beer slides down. Sweet malts and citrusy hops, with some earthy notes in there too. More fruit and spices. Fruitiness is white wine-like, with some apple. There is a bunch of coriander and and intense bitterness that lingers.
M: Medium body with low carbonation.
D: This beer is like a wine. I can imagine a wine drinker would enjoy this one. It's refreshing, but also a wonderful beer to sip with dinner.

750ml crown capped bottle into 25oz snifter.

An opaque and dull ruby hue sits under a dense two finger stone khaki head that slowly settles to a thin cap.

Sweet and sugary dark fruit - a little bit of plum, mixed with a little bit of orange peel. The alcohol adds a little spice to the background.

A little bit of spicy phenols in the background, along with a slightly creamy overtone to complement. More of the dark fruit from the pinot noir. Full bodied. The dark fruit lingers for a bit after each sip, along with the spices. The alcohol is well hidden.

Maybe a good cross-over beer for those who love wine. It certainly shares some characteristics, and also has the qualities of a good witbier. Recommended.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottle simply notes 'Bottles in 2009"

(review #600)

Served this in a tulip glass. Good Looking beer. A 2 finger fizzy head forms and then settles to a scant 1/8th inch cap of foam that remains for a bit longer. Alas, this to fades and all traces of any head are gone. No lacing. The beer is a reddish/amber color with a good amount of haze. You can see quite a bit of visible carbonation rising to the top in long singular lines of bubbles. No lacing.

Aroma is light, earthy, sweet. A bit less both than I imagined. Some yeast notes

Very interesting. This is a beer that grows on me the more I drink it. The first time I had it was at the Extreme Beerfest and I really enjoyed it. These events work for the brewers. As a result, I purchased this bottle to enjoy. I can not say that I taste anything specific from the barrel aging, I to really get a depth of flavor that I can only imagine come from this process. The site says to enjoy this between 45-50 degrees, but I enjoy this even warmer. Much more flavor comes through. Somewhat wine like, some real nice spice from the yeast and the additions. Slight warming from the alcohol. As I continue to enjoy I do notice more notes from the wood aging. Slightly acidic. The bitterness towards the end is a bit stronger than I initially gauged. (not a bad thing) Some bread notes develop as well. The orange peel shows up right at the end for me. Very delicate, but it's there.

Very light and delicate in body, yet bold with the warming of the alcohol. Carbonation is very delicate.

A very interesting beer and one that develops as you enjoy. I think this is the kind of beer that you use for a several course dinner and as a beer pairing.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%

A: It's a deep purple-ish orange color with a massive ecru head that's frothy, retains well, and lays down some nice lacing on the glass. A great looking beer.

S: Sweet malt, orange, berry/perfumey fruit aromas (from the pinot noir juice), woody aromas, and alcohol. Bold and complex.

T&M: Well, it's really interesting. Berry fruit up front, orange/coriander flavor, some appreciable wood-flavor, and drying alcohol on the finish. Complex and different, but I'm not sure I'm a huge fan. Body is medium with a dense, tingling carbonation that translates to a smooth feel.

D: Definitely a sipper. It's a little boozy and so complex that you've really got to sip on it to enjoy everything. Definitely a nice effort from DFH, it's just not quite my cup of tea.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

A- Pours a murky orange color with a thin white head that leaves some scattered lacing.

S- Lots of citrus (orange peel and lemon) with a huge whiff of pinot noir and alcohol. There were some musty dark fruit scents as well as coriander and some other spices. A yeast like breadiness is detectable.

T- Where did the pinot noir go? There was certainly a wine-like nose but it failed to show up in the taste. Instead I ended up with a yeasty high alcohol dank flavored beer. Not doing it for me.

M- Medium bodied with ok carbonation.

D- Not one I would grab again. This is one of those experimental DFH brews that didn't quite hit the mark.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

750 mL bottle at refrigerator temperature poured into a snifter. Bottle reads, "Bottled in: 2009"

A - Pours a deep reddish, almost clay-colored brown. Generous light brown head quickly dissipates into blotches across the top of the brew, finally settling as a ring around the glass where it meets the brew.

S - I'm getting a ton of orange and coriander notes when the beer is cold, with a touch of oaky vanilla. The oak and the darker notes of musk, malts, and leather come out as the brew warms up a bit. Pretty remarkable combination of bright and dark smell profiles.

T - Long, lingering, sweet, acidic finish. I don't taste the citrus and spices that I picked up on the nose, but instead I get the acidity of the pinot noir concentrate.

M - The acidity balanced with the malted wheat flavors makes for a particularly interesting mouthfeel. I continue to taste the grapes and the oak flavors on the back of my palate for long after I've swallowed.

D - Drinking this whole bottle will be tough, much the same as it would be difficult to drink an entire bottle of finely-crafted wine. The flavor profile is so big and robust that it's difficult to drink anything but smaller sips than you might usually. This is an esoteric beer, for sure. It begs for food pairings: I'd love to try this brew with a farmhouse cheddar, roasted duck breast, or a grilled steak.

4.08/5  rDev +5.2%

I wasz intrigued to try this one and I'm glad I did. You gotta give the guys at Dogfish Head some props for never being scared to think outside the box! Poured into my Duvel Tulip with minimal head . Smell was a little off for me. Slight barnyard smell that I'm used to with a nice Gueuze. I can detect some wine smells in the backround as well. I wasn't to thrilled until I tasted it. Very nice and tastes very different than the smell. The wit aspect is shining up front followed by the beautiful addition of Pinot Noir grapes. Really awesome IMHO. Mouthfeel was good and drinkability is good for such a high ABV. Not my favorite by any means but definitely worth a try for those who haven't.

3.46/5  rDev -10.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

This is one of the prettiest beers I've ever had. The color is like an apricot or something, it's very cool looking. It's got a little bit of head with some light lacing. The aroma is is very fruity and somewhat yeasty, you can tell it's been bottle conditioned. It reminds me of the aroma of some of Unibroues lighter beers.

The taste is also very unique, you can taste the orange and coriander as well as the Pinot Noir notes which reminds me of a wine but it still seems like a beer. You can taste the alcohol a bit, I wish it was toned down slightly but it is still far from overpowering. This is a very good sipper to share with a friend.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a light, seethru red/cranberry red with a small white head that dies quickly. Smells like a little bit of a wit mixed with some oakiness and berries - like a cheap red wine. Doesn't taste cheap though as there is a pleasant blend of some grape and figs and oak from red wine, yet maintains a mild sweet and fluffiness along w/ some spices to perk it up from the wit. Goes down very smooth and a nice crisp finish. ABV hidden well; a definite sipper and another great brew from DFH.

4.27/5  rDev +10.1%

I split a bomber with a friend, equal amounts poured into large wine glasses. The brew is a bit cloudy, and has reddish highlights. The white head is a bit small and does not stick around long. The aroma is interesting-red wine with spices. The flavor is complex. The dominant feature is the red wine. The orange and corriander play a nice complement on this one. The beer is well balanced. The only thing I was disappointed about is IMO the brew is overcarbonated. The body is medium and it is a great sipper. The beer far exceeded my expectations.

2.28/5  rDev -41.2%

750ml bottle poured into SA pint glass

A: Pours a cloudy, reddish orange. Fairly dark, lots of good floaties - but overly dark for the style. Average head and retention.

S: Odd. The standard orange, coriander, and lemon notes are present, but the Pinot Noir messes with all that. Grapes, lemon and orange do not mesh too well here.

T: Very heavy on the vinous side, and light on witbier characteristics. Again, I feel the Pinot influence makes this one a mess of clashing flavors. This beer is trying to be too much, losing the satisfy qualities of a crisp Wit. Sadly, this ended as a drain pour .Attempt a great complexity and sometimes you have cherries vying with grapes, lemon and apricots for attention losing out to acidity.

M: Way too full bodied and chewy for the style. Kind of hits the stomach like a rock.

D: ABV is too high here as well.

I think DFH has strayed too far from style here. If you're expecting a wit, move on.

4.29/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a fairly hazy orangey-red hue with a thick, fine-bubbled off-white head. Good retention and lacing.

Has a mildly yeasty cherry infused cheese nose to go with the traditional coriander and orange peel. Raspberries and grapes make their way into the aroma as well as a bit of oak.

Taste is...well...pretty far out there, man. Double wit comes to mind, as does a grand cru. Alcohol definitely makes it's presence felt as well as a woody, smoky flavor. Wine-like grape juice in it adds even more complexity with a bit of noble hop additions. I like it, it all works together well. Only complaints I have is that it is a tad undercarbonated and DFH could bump up the specialty malts to lower the heavy alcohol presence. Overall a great beer that I was hesitant to spend $14 on, but glad I did and may even consider buying again soon.

3.24/5  rDev -16.5%

pours a light orange with minamal head and very little lacing.

strong fruit and pinot notes most noticable are apricot.

good bready mouthfeel with a small bitter finish.

good beer not my favorite style. did enjoy and glad i tried it.

the last glass from the 22oz bomber was alittle more bitter and not as enjoyable as the first.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

A very cloudy orange amber with good head and lacing. Moderate carbonation.

Smell is caramel malt and wheat with an orangey citrus edge. There is a grapey banana and Belgian yeast ester mixed in for good measure.

Taste is heavy malt wit. The OG must be quite high. There is enough wheat malt to lighten the backbone and give it some twang. There is a grape tinged woodiness and Belgian spiciness traditionally found in a witbier. Orange floats in as well a curacao. The alcohol is superbly integrated and just peeks out along the sides of my tongue and in the finish adding a touch of sweet heat. A dry almost weizenbock like lingering yeasty bread on the palate. Creamy soft carbonation and a velvety feel help to mask the thickness of this well crafted take on wit.

Drinkability is deceptively good for a beer of this abv. A sipper for sure but you will be sipping frequently and with a smile on your face as you give in seductive aspects of this one.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Orangish-amber body with a thin skim. Nice lacing.

S: Wheat and bread. Some caramel like malt. Not much else.

T: Caramel malt accentuated by wheat and baked bread. Slightly tart. The flavor feels disorganized and sporadic.

M: Smooth with good carbonation and a clean finish.

D: This brew suffers from an identity crisis. There is a lot going on in the taste (not in a good way) and seems simple in the aroma department (also, not in a good way). Interesting concept, but like other DFH brews falls short of the mark for me.

3.98/5  rDev +2.6%

Picked this up at my new spot, Bierkraft....awesome.

A- Pours a translucent brassy coppery light brown. A thin white bubbly head that quickly disappears to a scant foam. Looks like a cloudy ginger ale.

S- Off the bat.... sweet belgiany sugar. A little hay-ish, sloght banana. Nothing that blows my hair back.

T- That belgiany sugary sweetness is my first wave, subtle banana with some orange and a slight touch of wood. Even with the knowledge of pinot, I can honestly say after searching for it I don't pick up "pinot"...but I a. sure it is contributing to the overall complex flavors that blend well.

M- I do love the creamy soft mouthfeel of the brew. Carb is soft, but the beer is full.

D- This beer perplexes me... I would never had guessed this was a wit....more like a dubbel...i guess that's the pinot/oak flavors. But I would never had guessed this had anything to do with any wine grapes whatsoever. With that being said, I enjoyed this very much.... with an orange-soy-cilantro marinated pork sandwich.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

A: caramel brown/reddish slightly hazy color with small light head

S: belgian yeasty smell with fruit

T: thought it was a good complex flavor with some malt and oakiness, the pinot comes through well but not overpowering giving some fruit notes. no real bitterness

M: had some carbonation, but clean finish was nice

D: a good sipper, 10% hidden pretty well, but still was clearly a higher abv brew, would definitely enjoy again

3.92/5  rDev +1%

Appearance: Poured into a goblet. Poured a orange/yellow hazy color. Head was large and disappeared very quick. Left no lacing.

Smell: Very fruity. Orange and bannana nodes are stong. A woody smell lingers but I really couldn't determine what it was since it was so faint.

Taste: BITTER! Once the bitterness settles that nice wood flavor settles in, finishes very nicely with the pinot noir flavors.

Mouth Feel: Very well balenced, thick carbonation. No aftertaste

Drinkability:Being that it comes in a 750ml, probably best to share this unique thing with others. Not really my style though, and would probably not buy again

With that said, I am glad I bought this one. Definitely gave me something different, if given the chance try it!

Red & White from Dogfish Head Brewery