Red & White - Dogfish Head Brewery

Red & WhiteRed & White

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  10.00% ABV

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006)
2.55/5  rDev -34.3%

Poured into my new Brooklyn Brewery pilsner glass with a minimal head . Dark copper color very nice looking brew in the glass . The aromas are fruity and a tad spicy . A real chore to find any smells that come to mind . Sediment floats all around the glass . Taste-wise it is nothing to jump for joy about . Wheaty yes but nothing else comes to mind . After the first sip there is lacing on the glass . Boozy flavor with some bitterness . Second glass with the bottle warmed up the brew is a chore to drink . This started to be a big let down and maybe the one DFH product I will not purchase again . It is a bit too boozy for me .

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

750 ml bottle acquired as an extra from Gueuzedude, thanks for this generous addition to my package, split with my dad tonight, went well with our steaks, poured into an oversized wine glass

A-Pink and red color with light brown and orange highlights, 3/4 inch creamy white head that left a cloud on top of the liquid, some decent retention, not much lacing after the first few minutes

S-Wheat, dark red wine, black cherries, Belgian yeast, lots of booze, caramel malt, tons of fruit, huge amount of coriander, orange peel, cloves, some ginger, several other fruits, milk, and molasses

T-Started off with a funky tart at the beginning, quite a bit of chewiness in the middle, then some hard alcohol and tons of sugar, finish was strong along with cherries and malt, as it warmed it became even sweeter and its thickness showed through, lots of grapes and berries in the aftertaste, could have used some hoppiness to balance out some of the sweet syrupy accents, too much fruit and malt for me

M-Syrupy and sweet mouthfeel, pretty thick body, could have definitely used some more carbonation, taste lingered for a little while, was quite strong at times with an aggressively boozy finish

D-Could not have drank this bottle by myself, ten or eleven ounces was more than enough for me, heavy stuff that was not very smooth, high ABV at ten percent and you can taste the alcohol

Interesting beer from Dogfish Head, makes me want to try Black and Blue next, did not know a wit could be so unqiue, the pinor noir really makes this one different than anything else I have had, would drink again but I do not think it will be brewed again any time soon, recommended if you are curious

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

On tap at the Gaithersburg DFH Alehouse.

Obviously a strong red tinge to the traditional wit color. Not alot of head, but it was poured out of a pitcher sitting on the back of the bar. Not sure that's SOP for this beer or not.

Great character to the aroma, nice Belgian yeasty notes and definitely noticeable Pinot character. Fruity, some citrus and mild spice but really in the background. Flavor is yeasty, woody and fruity, with slight spicy notes in the back again. I like the blend of wine like notes and the wit spice and citrus.

Bigger bodied that a traditional wit, but not heavy at all. No I wouldn't drink another right away but I'd seek this one out again any chance I get.

A great creation from an awesome brewery.

4.1/5  rDev +5.7%

sure it's a wit beer, but i'm not exactly sure that it is in the right category for judging. anyways... hazy orangy amber with a nice white head that holds well and leaves nice lace. nose and taste are sweet creamy and caramelly malt, orange peel and corriander for sure with some spritzy, lemony, wheaty characteristics coming through as well. some clove comes through as it warms up as well. oaky smokey comes through in the finish, which is long and warming, with a fat, medium full body that carries a bit of prickliness. a wild beer in a class of its own. hard to judge. fun to drink once in a blue moon (no pun intended). stop hating.

2.6/5  rDev -33%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy copper with a white head that disipates quickly leaving no lace.
S - A definate fruity bitterness but nothing too exciting
T - Citrus and yeast with a tiny burn left over from some trace hops combined with the alcohol.
M - Syrap and murky yeast mouthfeel with little carbonation.
D - Was excited to try this beer but it did not really come through. Would drink again but only if it were a gift.

2.73/5  rDev -29.6%

Had this at the Amsterdam Bar in Dallas.

Beer poured a nice hazy red color with a decent white head on it in a Unibroue sniffer. Lacing was strong on the glass and a decent low head was constant. The smell coming off the brew was bland at best, very minor sweet notes. Really challenging to get any good smells here. Taste was just as bland. I could almost taste the yeast I think they used in Chateu Jaihu in the aftertaste, which was probably the high light of this brew. If I didn't drop 15 bucks on it I would have just done a drain pour. I had a hard time WANTing to finish it, and none of my friends were up to drink it either. Just wasn't that exciting to me. That said I'm not a wine fan/appreciator either. So maybe it was just me.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottle courtesy of Wickedpete: Poured a deep reddish color ale with a rather large foamy head with good retention and some good lacing notes. Aroma consists of coriander with some notes of wheat and light acidic touch. Taste is a very good mix between some wheat with great notes of coriander and some sweet malt. Great mix between spices and Belgian style malt. Full body with great carbonation and no alcohol. The only negative things that I have too say is that this beer might be slightly too sweet but apart from that great beer from Dogfish.

4.28/5  rDev +10.3%

$11.99 for a bottle! Yee haw! After my black & blue experience with DFH, I was really reluctant to try this. Glad I did.

Syrupy orange red-hinted color, translucent. Little head after a good pour. Looks good in a DFH goblet. Smells of Belgian yeast, believe it or not, and noticeable presence of the grapes that're involved. Taste is very nice - sweet, bitter, oak aging seems to have mellowed things out well. Grape presence is there, but only slightly. Nice beer from DFH.

4.8/5  rDev +23.7%

Sampled on 2-25-08
Bottled on 2-9-07

Pours a deep red/orange, very thick, with a huge foamy white head. The lacing covers the entire glass as you drink it.

Smell is very sweet, I get a strong hint of malted milk balls. A vegetabley sour fruit character comes next, adding a lot of complexity.

Taste is also quite sweet, with a caramel, candy-like character. It also tastes somewhat aged, in a good way, much like a wine. In fact, it really becomes more and more wine-like. Sour grapes and leaves add a great earthy quality and the alcohol dries out the finish.

Mouthfeel is absolutely perfect. Carbonation is spot-on, and the thickness lets the flavors coat the inside of your mouth.

Drinkability is staggeringly good, considering the higher abv and big, sweet flavors.

Overall, a beer I have been wanting to try for a long time. Well worth the wait, and right up there with my favorites.

Score Edited: 4-4-08
2008 Vintage

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Finally got around to drining this. Bottle dated 2/12/07 which I picked up when I toured the DFH brewery in Milton last summer. Pours a nice crimson copper with a heavy malt nose. Hops is noticably understated and almost absent. Carmelized cherries hit the nose.

Overall a decent beer, but not as distinctive as I would have liked. Pinot Noir, Coriander and orange peel is too subtle to impart significant character. Good try DFH, but no cigar. Still, quite drinkable though. But sort of akin to buying a Red Hot Chili Peppers CD and finding a Lawrence Welk CD inside. I expected more character.

2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

A- Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Poured a pink-reddish with little to no head.

S- Nice nose. A very noticeable tartness at first. Then notes of coriander, orange and pinot grapes. Smells like you are in for a treat.

T- Unfortunately the nose is where this all the good ended on this for me. I am a wine drinker and a beer drinker but this was neither. I think they should have aged this wit in Pinot barrels not add 'Pinot Noir Extract' to it. Sorry DFH this was a let down. It tasted too tart and astringent for my palate. I finished my glassful but it was tough. I don't know how to describe it except astringent!

M- I have to say the mouthfeel was okay. Decent carbonation and weight.

D- I had about 6oz of this and that was more than enough. I am sure others like it but it was not for me.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

A - this unique brew pours with a cranberry red hue, with a big white frothy head, beneath it there is massive amounts of both carbonation and sediment

S - the aroma is a struggle between sweetness and tartness, both seem associated with grapes, i cannot detect the orange peel, but i can detect a bit of the spicy coriander

T - i have little to no experience with Pinot Noir, so i cannot relate it to that, but i do notice a strong tart flavor up front that is pushed out of the way by a huge crashing oaky/vanilla/toffee sweetness that nicely coats, and returns to a grapeskin aftertaste

M&D - very smooth and easy down, a well crafted and well balanced brew, it teases that it may be unpleasant at first, but then it hits you with the balance and the great taste, well done again DFH

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Apparently, a few bottles of this retired brew made it to my local beer store. I poured the brew into a chimay sniffer glass. The color of the beer is a translucent orange, there was carbonation and head present when pouring, but after a few minutes it disappeared, leaving a wispy very light head. This beer has a fruity smell, sweet wine taste but with a barley wine type of finish when drinking it. mouthfeel is oily though and is surprisingly drinkable.
Like any limited dogfish head release is not your usual beer, this is no exception. I like to think of it as a cross of a wheat fruit beer and a barleywine and it's pretty good is you consider it as that. This beer is something to have as an alternative to your usual 6 pack of beer and to savor this beer once in a while.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

App: Nice bottle, cool illustrated label. The color of this beer is the true definition of "red & white." The head is pure thick white, almost translucent. And the beer itself is deep cherry red, red, red. Quite gorgeous.

Aroma: Hm, not so impressed by this. It's a strange smell between sweet and funky, which sounds good on paper, but doesn't come out as flatteringly in actuality. A bit wine-like, somewhat bold, but not big. Some alcohol presence in the nose accompanied by tart grape.

Taste: Full sweet, malty with solid alcohol and coriander notes. Spicy, big with strong grape sweetness. Pretty nice tastes but the flavors aren't blended and doesn't come across as well as I'd hoped.

Mouth: Medium bodied, full velvety and sparkly with good carbonation.

Drink: Eh, good but not great. But since this was a limited production we won't have the opportunity to drink that many more anyway.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Brewed with coriander and orange peel with pinot noir juice along with 10 malts and 10 hops.

A: Bright cherry red color with a slight head that quickly vanished.

S: Orange peel is noticeable in flavor with some fresh cherries that is only slightly tart.

T: Juice like texture with some mangos and peaches as well in flavor. Wine like palate, dried cherries and oak cask flavors. Fruitiness and juice flavor blend well together but is not as complex as I expected it to be. A witbeer with fruit is the best way to descried this.

M: light texture and lightly carbonated. fruity.

D: refreshingly different making for a worth while try.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a ruby hue with a nice off white head that falls rather quickly and leaves some lacing. Nose is grapey and fruity. Flavor is quite unique. Strong and noticeable fruit tones mix with a mild alcohol presence. Odd wine mixture that slightly reminds me of something along the St. Lamvinus line, but not quite that in the long run. So we have the fruity and earthy mix here with a nice full carbonation and smooth liquid touch. Overall this is a very interesting beer to say the least. Could it be a staple in my beer diet? I'd have to say no. But still interesting enough to try.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

750ml bottle, purchased about six months ago.
Pours a burnished copper color, not nearly the color I was expecting from a witbier. No head at all. Dead in the glass, which is surprising from a wheaty beer.
Smells like boozy, spicy caramel. More like a strong ale than a wit. More like a pinot noir than a wit.
The flavor is very malty, a little doughy and a lot caramel. Honey, vanilla and papery flavors, like it had a couple years in the bottle. Probably the barrel talking. Full bodied, sticky sweet, with jumpy, excitable carbonation. Mildly spicy, mostly coriander with some orange peel flavor in the finish providing some balance. Apricot fruitiness, some sour flavor from the wheat, I gather. Sweet overall, with very little going on besides caramel and more caramel. This might be better without the wine barrel. Lightly spicy, with that Dogfish Head sweet tooth they seem to have to all their beers. A bit of a prickle of alcoholic coriander lingers on the tongue. Kinda hot, plenty sweet.
Not my favorite. In fact, I'm disappointed. This could be a whole lot more wit-like. It could at least look like a witbier. Tastes like a depressed barleywine, or an american strong ale going through a bad spell. That being said, I did finish the bottle. There's something for that. If you're interested in a big-ass witbier, this is not a great example.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

A- This one poured a funky burnt orange color into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. I have never seen a beer this color before. Head is minimal after a semi conservative pour, but what is there is a neat bright pinkish-white color. This beer is non transparent.

S- The stongest smell that I cannot get out of my head is Welch's Grape juice. Otherwise, I catch the plain red grapes, chocolate covered cherries, and a bit of sour apple. Also, I think of Ocean Spray White Cranberry in there too. Sorry to "plug" all of these brand names, but that is the way I can distinguish these smells.

T- I can get the "witbier" effect from the Belgian candy sugar. Again, the cherries and grape juice mixed with cranberry are all over it. The mixture makes a somewhat raspberry flavor. Alcohol is there too and is noticeable. Through the lips, it is soft and smooth, but on the tongue, it comes alive and is flavorful and strong. The aftertaste is bitter and a tad "mediciney".

M- Carbonation is medium and the mouthfeel is sticky and oily.

D- I would say that the drinkablity is low on this one since it is so winey and sweet. When it warms, it turns more like cherry cough syrup too. However, it WAS good for this time, but I am not going back anytime soon.

Overall- First thing I can say is DIFFERENT! I love the fact that DFH has pushed the envelope again. That is my favorite quality of this brewery. They are not always giving you a sessionable brew or something you will love, but they give you a different look. Fruity, winey, strong and lively; just all around something different from beginning to end. I do not think any other brewery could pull this off. It is GREAT for the WOW! factor and for after dinner or with an Italian dish, I could see it hitting the spot. Do I like it? Hmm...maybe. Did I enjoy it? Definitely!

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to NutBrown for this brew.

750ml
Bottled On 02/09/07

Poured into a Dogfish Head glass a nice ruby red color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing through out the drink. The nose is malty, oaky, tangy, slight citrus, raspberries, slight cheeries, yeasty, slight caramel. The taste is very nice, malty, slightly sweet, yeasty, oaky, and tangy. The alcohol is hidden very well, the finish is dry. Medium body. Very drinkable, I'm really liking this brew, quite different, nice mix of a witbier and some fruits. Recommended.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Dark copper to reddish color with a fat, rocky off white head that has some pink tint in areas. Yeasty wheat sourness and a strong aroma of grape juice (Welch’s if you will), slight cheesy funk, and maybe some vanilla. Smooth malt begins and is quickly blanketed by a dry, sweet vinous character riding to the end and capitalized by a hefty oak barrel effervescent. Coriander, used moderately, does well to pull some of this chaos together. As it warms citrusy wit plays out more along with toffee notes. It’s 11 abv is pretty tamed making this damn drinkable. Silky, nearly syrupy mouthfeel maintains a nice crisp fizz. I would liked to see more wit in my wit but its never going to win a battle against pinot noir or oak barrels, non the less it was still good and I’d drink more.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Blood orange mixed with molten copper. The large, whipped creamy cap is primarily ecru in color, but features a pale rose blush that is almost certainly due to the Pinot noir juice. One doesn't often see this combination of colors in a single beer. The appearance is original, interesting and good. Let's see if the rest of the attributes follow suit.

Of the traditional witbier ingredients, only coriander is noticeable in the nose. Perhaps I'll pick up the orange peel once warming has worked its usual magic (note: I don't). There's also a subtle berry-like grapiness that needed to have been more than subtle to make an impact. It isn't like Dogfish Head to pull its punches... but then I haven't tipped up the glass yet.

Red & White is good beer that doesn't make any serious moves toward being great beer. At least it isn't another boozy, 'too avant garde for its own good' DFH ale. The label description got me ready for something special, with its unquestionably audacious marriage of an Imperial witbier and red grape juice, aged on wine barrels and oak. Unless something changes as the bottom of the bottle nears, the setup is better than the delivery.

First of all, the beer is too sweet. That's the biggest reason why the drinkability score doesn't keep pace with the flavor score. R & W reminds me of a Belgian ale is some undefinable way. Must be the yeast. The flavor profile is reminiscent of sweet red wine mixed with a dash of orange juice and a sprinking of coriander.

I don't get the oakiness at all. In my experience, it's much easier to appreciate woodiness in a dry beer rather than a sweet beer... and this one is tooth-rottingingly sweet. It seems to me that Red & White would work best as a dessert beer, to be shared with an entire tableful of people. Matching it with a blackberry tart would probably be fantastic.

If you like big, syrupy, sticky mouthfeels then DFH has a beer for you. Since I do, I like this one just fine. It works because the number of bubbles is pretty damn close to perfect. A few more would have been okay too. A few less would not have been.

I have mixed feelings about Red & White. On the one hand I applaud Mr. Caglione for thinking outside the box (as always). On the other, the beer is too weighted down by candi sugar to have any hope of being compared with Belgium's best. Sometimes a lighter touch is required.

A: Nice bright crimson red with a thinnish layer of pink hued foam which holds nice and tight on top.

S: The bottle mentions orange and coriander and it is there right up front., The wine qualities are there as well. Pinot Noir and oaked barrels are noted in the nose. Overall there is a nice cool rose like sweetness, so fine. so mellow., yet soooo DFH.

T: The wine qualities really come thru. This one is somewhat acidic. It is Carbonated sparkling and smooth. Cherry and tart cranberry are noted right up front. It is sparkling in the start and finishes dry.

M: Nice and sprakling.

D: Nice to sip with dinner.

Overall: This brew is meant to be a clash betwee the white ale and red wine, and boy does it come thru. The wit and wine qualities are both noted and brought out nicely. The oak flavors matched with the tart yet sweet red fruits is subpurb. Waitress I will pass on the wine tonight bring me a bottle of DFH Red & White with my meal.

I had been saving this one for sometime as it's now nearly a year old. Today Alex (Beerbeing) stepped up and said he would send me another. I could not pop the top fast enough. I really enjoyed this one and I will enjoy letting the new bottle will age a bit. I will bring it amount among friends, and a great meal where a nice bottle of red wine would be proper. Man those lucky bastards don't know what's in store when I bring out this one.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Dogfish Head has crossed into the demilitarized zone between beer and wine with this one--a beautiful, forward-thinking brew that stakes out new territory in the world of drinks.

From a nine-month old bottle.

Amber in color with hints of cranberry and a long-lasting, lacing head that eventually reduces to a thin, fizzy ring. Grapefruit and grapes mix in the bouquet and are checked by a slight, peppery and phenolic scent. The initial taste is of sweet, stewed fruit--berries, specifically--and it gives way to a more robust, creamy middle and a slightly spicy finish. The orange peel and alcohol are all hidden beneath the velvety cloak of grape juice flavors.

After nearly 750 mL, the sweetness does get to be a bit cloying, so my one criticism is that this could be a slightly tarter beer, but if beer and wine are on a collision course for some future hybrid, this is a great place to start that project.

Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer leaves the 750ml bottle a fuzzy incarnadine color with a reddish pink head that crowns the body, lacing provides a tight skirt to surround the glass. Nose has a tart oak like aroma, combined with coriander & orange peel, also hints of red wine and amazingly only very little of the 10 percent ABV shows through. Start is vinous, with a nice bit of toasted grain sweetness, top is light to medium in feel. The finish has a unrelenting acidity, the wine like traits along with the oak make the end sweet and somewhat sour with the parched aftertaste long lasting, another amazing brew tis’ true.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Served at cellar temperature in a Duvel tulip. On tap, this was amazing... now it's time to sample DFH's bottled offering.

Appearance- Wow... the color of this beer is so different, it's a crystal clear deep pink... going into the glass it looked like a lambic. Head retention is full and soapy, with fantastic sheets of lacing draped across the inside of the glass. It didn't start that way... on the first pour there was no head or lace.

Smell- Lush, thick layers of coriander, wood, vanilla... what a special treat for the nose! Fully integrated and phenomenally balanced... probably about as *big* as a witbier's aroma could be. No suggestion whatsoever of alcohol presence.

Taste- Complex. Delicious. Spicy! How to describe this beer... enormous in its reach, just look at the recipe. The coriander, orange peel, pinot noir juice concentrate, and its respective aging in two different types of barrels really comes across on the palate. It's so huge and massive that I just want to sip this, not really talk about it so much. Enough said, let's finish this bottle.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The beer begins quite prickly and carbonated, just short of being a detriment... then it quiets, becoming smoother and more wine-like. The belly warmth becomes an overall body warmth over the course of this two hour tasting, and I really want to emphasize what a successful, enjoyable rendition of a witbier this is. Never have I considered the possibility of this style as a nightcap, but it delivers big time. Try it if you can.

Red & White from Dogfish Head Brewery