Red & White - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 1,714 | Reviews: 693
4.49/5  rDev +15.7%

WOW! This is the beer that it is supposed to be. Very strong, very stern. Very Good.

Appearance - Reddish color with a strong head.

Smell - Strong wine character. I do not like wine, but this was intoxicating.

Taste - Wino Wino Wino Damn that is strong.

Mouthfeel - Very alcoholic and acidic.

Drinkability - This is the beer to age for a long time and enjoy when wine is just not going to do it.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

My gf really enjoyed this one, as did I.

A - cloudy amber with a white head which subsided somewhat quickly

S - sweet malt, fruit, wheat, some spice

T - very similar to the smell, wheat, spice, fruit, and alcohol are all prevalent, fairly enjoyable aftertaste

M - medium bodied with good carbonation

D - pretty enjoyable as a whole but I don't know that I could do more than 1 glass of it, and I'm glad I split it with my gf. Still, I like it and would consider getting it again (despite the DFH price increase, but I understand that's totally not their fault and desperate times call for desperate measures etc.). Worth a shot for sure.

4.44/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Wit beer? More like Belgian Strong. Poured a mostly cloudy burnt orange with darker yellow hue. A good pour leaving yeasty in the bottle leaves a soft white head with not much lacing or retention.

The nose is complex with sugary notes, Belgian yeasty characteristics and some fruity esters. To start the malt has sweet essence with a candi and bready backing. Some unique yeast qualities enhance the more bready quality. Some fruity nose with apricots, figs and raisins. The raisins really came out as it warmed. Some wine characteristics not feint. Not really any woody aromas as I was expecting.

The taste is just as complex. There is more of a bready quality then what the nose indicated. Some biscuit and wheat notes. The esters come out more fruity flavors. Apricots, fig and raisins continue but more noticeable wine/grape and cherry flavors blend in. Some yeast notes come out as well. Some peppery and a good sweet finish leaving a lot of flavor left over.

The body has a mid feel. A bit sweet for style even for a Strong. Overall a good beer. As I enter this looking at other reviews I wonder why this isn't rated higher. Really nice.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

750 mL bottle.

Pours a bright red-orange in color with a slim white head. Aroma of wheat, coriander, yeast, and a hint of grape.

Taste is sweet, with more coriander, wheat, yeast and a stronger pinor noir presence. You can also sense the oak barrel rounding out the edges.

This is interesting -- good, even -- but not something I'd come back to all too often.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my DT snifter. The color was an orangish copper. It had a small head that dissipated into a thin, broken collar. No carb or lacing. Some floaters. The aroma was a mixture of typical wit blended with the oaky vanilla smell from the oak barrels. Also could faintly smell the pinot. I tend not to like the oak aged beers and this one followed that trend. I liked the underlying beer but the oak aging was distracting to me. With that said, of the oak aged ones I've had lately this one comes in at the head of the pack. Only recommend if you like oak aged stuff. (One and done)

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured into a pilsner glass; in retrospect, I might have chosen a tulip, as that's as close as I have to the glass on the label.
As poured, the color is a deep orange, though I imagine it would be closer to red in a wider glass. There's some definite particulate in there (on my second glass at any rate), which you would think would settle but instead remains suspended throughout. Yeasty aroma mixed with grape. The taste reminds me of some other orange influenced brews I have had, though the 10% is far less evident than those other higher alcohol varieties. This is probably because the coriander and spiciness are not as foremost, but instead is balanced by a grapey sweetness. Finishes very dry, with just a touch of oak lingering on the palate.

3.86/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

1 pint, 9.6 oz bottle poured into large pilsner glasses.

A = Hazy copper, four finger off white foamy head with excellent retention, heavy lacing on glass.

S = Yeast, uncooked bread dough, fresh wheat, spices.

T = Rich wheat and yeast flavors, some warmth from the alcohol, long bitter almost sour finish.

M = Medium-heavy bodied, foamy mouthfeel, good mouthcoating.

D = This is a hard one for me. This admittedly isn't my favorite style, but I think my problem with this beer is not one of style but that it is a little too high in ABV and so is a little heavier both in body and burn than what I really wanted out of it. That said, this is definitely worth trying.

3.48/5  rDev -10.3%

I poured this into a chalice and served slightly below room temperature. It was a redish color with a light head that dissipated quickly leaving lace patchwork on the glass. It had a very fruity, citrus aroma with hints of coriander and alcohol. The taste was initially sour. It slowly developed some sweetness but the sour notes definitely remained. Lightly carbontated it felt almost creamy. It did go down rather easy for such a high alcohol beer.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

A: One finger off-white head, dissipated quickly, amber to light orange inside to out, good lacing

S: A bit of sweet caramel, grapefruit, alcohol

T: That caramel is up front, very wine like in middle which I loved, hop bite and big alcohol in back, overall I got an oakish taste and some citrus

M: Tingly, good carbonation, thick - not syrupy, mildly creamy, very wine-like feel, warming alcohol

D: Definitely a sipper, very winelike. I loved what they did with the pinot noir. It certainly does not fit the style, but it is so intriguing. Maybe it was because I drank it on an empty stomach, but the 10% ABV was an ass kicker. Good stuff!

2007 release

Attractive deep reddish orange coloring. A few bubbles but no head. The aroma is fruit, coriander and spices. I'm not sure how true this beer is to style but it is interesting and unique (to me). It is smooth....I rather enjoyed this one. No hint of the abv. However, this is meant to be a session beer. I think it is aging well and will continue to enhance.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Imperial Wit? Haha, j/k. Poured into a tulip.

A - A mysterious murky reddish brown coloration with a small head of froth. Laced very well, but the froth dissipated rather quickly into a ring.

S - Complex aroma of herbs and fruits, perhaps even a bit of alcohol. It's very nice, but I think there is too much clashing here for me to pinpoint.

T - The Abv is instantly apparent, but not overpowering. Sweet citrusy body, yeasty, spicy, tangy, and fairly complex.

M - Full bodied, low carbonation level, pretty dry finish.

D - A truly unique brew I must say. It definitely has characteristics of the traditional wit, but there are some new takes on the style here. Worth checking this one out for sure.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a DFH tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light reddish orange color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is fruity and sour with oranges, wheat, some coriander and alcohol.

T: The taste starts out with flavors of orange, coriander spice, and grapes. There are light background flavors of wheat and Belgian yeast. There's a mild alcoholic sting but not it's not too strong for a beer with 10.00% ABV. The hops presence is mild and the malt character is on the thin side as you would expect from this type of beer. The after-taste is slightly sour.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style while adding a twist to it, this is a pretty good beer but not one that I would want to drink more than one bottle of.

10% abv

Pours a thick head that slowly disapates. Golden tan ale with an orange hue. Scent of orange and strong alcoholic aroma. Light body, crisp and bubbly on the tongue. A strange but enjoyable brew. I compare this to a saisson rather than a Heffe but all is well with this one.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours an amber/orange with a small white head (used a fluted glass) and visible, floating bits of orange and coriander. You can smell both those as well, although very subtly. Didn't really notice the pinot noir in the nose, which was a bit disappointing, as that it was a favorite of mine back when I drank more wine (and before Sideways ruined it, but I digress). However, I really get that in the taste, which is balanced against the oak aging and the fruit. Excellent mouthfeel and the balance makes it very drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

I wonder how the 25.6 oz. capped bottles hold up in cellaring to the caged and corked. Either way, I'm not cellaring this bad boy, as it's poured into a Thomas Hardy's snifter.

Appearance: A nice ruby color, probably due to the physical vinous characteristics, with tons of champagne-like bubbles still floating up after half the bottle's gone. The head dissipates a bit more quickly than I wanted, but everything else makes up for it.

Smell: Candi sugar, malt sweetness, honey, vanilla, more coriander than orange or any citrus, some cherry, strawberry and other light fruit, and slight vinous characteristics. I don't get much woodiness from the oak. This is a case where nuance takes over from what could be a mishmash of hugely unbalanced aromas. This is a beer, after all, and not a wine, so the hints of pinot and oak come through, but not so much that it's a whack and caustic version of a brew. Maybe with some aging this could gain more complexity, but it's certainly nice now. And wow, such a clean and euphoric buzz, one that's certainly evident and makes itself known as such (emphasizing the notes of cleanliness and euphoria, as 10% is of course going to bring on a buzz).

Taste: Drink this at room temperature, or at least give it some time out of the fridge. Again, nuance here is the key, along with the harmony of the flavors. Where is the alcohol here? I've tasted stronger in 5% versions of the style, and that's a good hint for me that it's a quality brew, as it doesn't come out in the aroma or the taste. Candi sugar and spice come out initially, letting in some bready flavors, bread crust, slight vinous bitterness, slight oak, then letting in some of the citrus and coriander, and finishing with a semi-dry balanced infusion of all of the above, a long finish, with both the citrus, the mild vinous characteristics, the candi sugar, and the spiciness. Fresh it's pretty awesome, but I wonder what could happen with age.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with good carbonation (not enough to act like an overly carbonated BSPA, thankfully), and coating enough to bring out the flavors without being too heavy.

Drinkability: Anywhere from $12-$14 a bottle (at least what I've seen), this can get a bit expensive. I liked the brew a lot, but I'm not sure how often I'd buy it. It may be something good for 4-packs, or to share with a friend, as the price is a bit high. But for the process I understand, not to mention I've been wanting to try it for a long time. It also changed my expectations a bit as far as what a Witbier could be. I'm with many on the specialty DFH brews being hit or miss, but thankfully this is a solid one for me.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a very nice looking deep red/orange. Lots of tight bubbles leave a nice ring around the glass. Sticky lacing.

Smell is very typical Belgian Wit with corriander and orange peel at first. Of course the DFH twist shows up. A hint of grape juice lets you know this is not typical at all.

Tastes like the nose indicated. Definite corriander on the front end. Just a subtle bit of grape/wine on the edges. Boozy, but not overly so. I can't quite tell if I can taste oak or if that is just my mind telling me there is oak in there. Dry in the finish.

Overall, this is a good beer. Belgian White is not my favorite style typically but leave it to Sam and the boys to put a nice new spin on the style. I think it would be even better with food.

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

25.6 oz bottle. Pours a light red with 1.5 cm off-white head. Aroma of some random fruits, mostly dark fruits and oranges. Initial flavor is balanced between sweet fruit, oak, and spice. Flavor ends dry and the pinot noir really comes out and dominates here and on the aftertaste. Medium body, some light lacing, light to moderate carbonation, and alcohol was defiantly noticed, kind of wine like in that sense. Drinkability is kind of low, if you want wine, buy wine.

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured into my new Brooklyn Brewery pilsner glass with a minimal head . Dark copper color very nice looking brew in the glass . The aromas are fruity and a tad spicy . A real chore to find any smells that come to mind . Sediment floats all around the glass . Taste-wise it is nothing to jump for joy about . Wheaty yes but nothing else comes to mind . After the first sip there is lacing on the glass . Boozy flavor with some bitterness . Second glass with the bottle warmed up the brew is a chore to drink . This started to be a big let down and maybe the one DFH product I will not purchase again . It is a bit too boozy for me .

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

750 ml bottle acquired as an extra from Gueuzedude, thanks for this generous addition to my package, split with my dad tonight, went well with our steaks, poured into an oversized wine glass

A-Pink and red color with light brown and orange highlights, 3/4 inch creamy white head that left a cloud on top of the liquid, some decent retention, not much lacing after the first few minutes

S-Wheat, dark red wine, black cherries, Belgian yeast, lots of booze, caramel malt, tons of fruit, huge amount of coriander, orange peel, cloves, some ginger, several other fruits, milk, and molasses

T-Started off with a funky tart at the beginning, quite a bit of chewiness in the middle, then some hard alcohol and tons of sugar, finish was strong along with cherries and malt, as it warmed it became even sweeter and its thickness showed through, lots of grapes and berries in the aftertaste, could have used some hoppiness to balance out some of the sweet syrupy accents, too much fruit and malt for me

M-Syrupy and sweet mouthfeel, pretty thick body, could have definitely used some more carbonation, taste lingered for a little while, was quite strong at times with an aggressively boozy finish

D-Could not have drank this bottle by myself, ten or eleven ounces was more than enough for me, heavy stuff that was not very smooth, high ABV at ten percent and you can taste the alcohol

Interesting beer from Dogfish Head, makes me want to try Black and Blue next, did not know a wit could be so unqiue, the pinor noir really makes this one different than anything else I have had, would drink again but I do not think it will be brewed again any time soon, recommended if you are curious

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at the Gaithersburg DFH Alehouse.

Obviously a strong red tinge to the traditional wit color. Not alot of head, but it was poured out of a pitcher sitting on the back of the bar. Not sure that's SOP for this beer or not.

Great character to the aroma, nice Belgian yeasty notes and definitely noticeable Pinot character. Fruity, some citrus and mild spice but really in the background. Flavor is yeasty, woody and fruity, with slight spicy notes in the back again. I like the blend of wine like notes and the wit spice and citrus.

Bigger bodied that a traditional wit, but not heavy at all. No I wouldn't drink another right away but I'd seek this one out again any chance I get.

A great creation from an awesome brewery.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

sure it's a wit beer, but i'm not exactly sure that it is in the right category for judging. anyways... hazy orangy amber with a nice white head that holds well and leaves nice lace. nose and taste are sweet creamy and caramelly malt, orange peel and corriander for sure with some spritzy, lemony, wheaty characteristics coming through as well. some clove comes through as it warms up as well. oaky smokey comes through in the finish, which is long and warming, with a fat, medium full body that carries a bit of prickliness. a wild beer in a class of its own. hard to judge. fun to drink once in a blue moon (no pun intended). stop hating.

2.56/5  rDev -34%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy copper with a white head that disipates quickly leaving no lace.
S - A definate fruity bitterness but nothing too exciting
T - Citrus and yeast with a tiny burn left over from some trace hops combined with the alcohol.
M - Syrap and murky yeast mouthfeel with little carbonation.
D - Was excited to try this beer but it did not really come through. Would drink again but only if it were a gift.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

Had this at the Amsterdam Bar in Dallas.

Beer poured a nice hazy red color with a decent white head on it in a Unibroue sniffer. Lacing was strong on the glass and a decent low head was constant. The smell coming off the brew was bland at best, very minor sweet notes. Really challenging to get any good smells here. Taste was just as bland. I could almost taste the yeast I think they used in Chateu Jaihu in the aftertaste, which was probably the high light of this brew. If I didn't drop 15 bucks on it I would have just done a drain pour. I had a hard time WANTing to finish it, and none of my friends were up to drink it either. Just wasn't that exciting to me. That said I'm not a wine fan/appreciator either. So maybe it was just me.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottle courtesy of Wickedpete: Poured a deep reddish color ale with a rather large foamy head with good retention and some good lacing notes. Aroma consists of coriander with some notes of wheat and light acidic touch. Taste is a very good mix between some wheat with great notes of coriander and some sweet malt. Great mix between spices and Belgian style malt. Full body with great carbonation and no alcohol. The only negative things that I have too say is that this beer might be slightly too sweet but apart from that great beer from Dogfish.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

$11.99 for a bottle! Yee haw! After my black & blue experience with DFH, I was really reluctant to try this. Glad I did.

Syrupy orange red-hinted color, translucent. Little head after a good pour. Looks good in a DFH goblet. Smells of Belgian yeast, believe it or not, and noticeable presence of the grapes that're involved. Taste is very nice - sweet, bitter, oak aging seems to have mellowed things out well. Grape presence is there, but only slightly. Nice beer from DFH.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Red & White from Dogfish Head Brewery