Red & White - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

3.82/5  rDev -1.5%

Imperial Wit? Haha, j/k. Poured into a tulip.

A - A mysterious murky reddish brown coloration with a small head of froth. Laced very well, but the froth dissipated rather quickly into a ring.

S - Complex aroma of herbs and fruits, perhaps even a bit of alcohol. It's very nice, but I think there is too much clashing here for me to pinpoint.

T - The Abv is instantly apparent, but not overpowering. Sweet citrusy body, yeasty, spicy, tangy, and fairly complex.

M - Full bodied, low carbonation level, pretty dry finish.

D - A truly unique brew I must say. It definitely has characteristics of the traditional wit, but there are some new takes on the style here. Worth checking this one out for sure.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into a DFH tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a light reddish orange color, with a thin off-white head that fades quickly and leaves a thin lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is fruity and sour with oranges, wheat, some coriander and alcohol.

T: The taste starts out with flavors of orange, coriander spice, and grapes. There are light background flavors of wheat and Belgian yeast. There's a mild alcoholic sting but not it's not too strong for a beer with 10.00% ABV. The hops presence is mild and the malt character is on the thin side as you would expect from this type of beer. The after-taste is slightly sour.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is clean and dry.

D: Tasty, goes down dangerously easily, not too filling, strong kick, decent representation of style while adding a twist to it, this is a pretty good beer but not one that I would want to drink more than one bottle of.

10% abv

Pours a thick head that slowly disapates. Golden tan ale with an orange hue. Scent of orange and strong alcoholic aroma. Light body, crisp and bubbly on the tongue. A strange but enjoyable brew. I compare this to a saisson rather than a Heffe but all is well with this one.

4.05/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours an amber/orange with a small white head (used a fluted glass) and visible, floating bits of orange and coriander. You can smell both those as well, although very subtly. Didn't really notice the pinot noir in the nose, which was a bit disappointing, as that it was a favorite of mine back when I drank more wine (and before Sideways ruined it, but I digress). However, I really get that in the taste, which is balanced against the oak aging and the fruit. Excellent mouthfeel and the balance makes it very drinkable.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%

I wonder how the 25.6 oz. capped bottles hold up in cellaring to the caged and corked. Either way, I'm not cellaring this bad boy, as it's poured into a Thomas Hardy's snifter.

Appearance: A nice ruby color, probably due to the physical vinous characteristics, with tons of champagne-like bubbles still floating up after half the bottle's gone. The head dissipates a bit more quickly than I wanted, but everything else makes up for it.

Smell: Candi sugar, malt sweetness, honey, vanilla, more coriander than orange or any citrus, some cherry, strawberry and other light fruit, and slight vinous characteristics. I don't get much woodiness from the oak. This is a case where nuance takes over from what could be a mishmash of hugely unbalanced aromas. This is a beer, after all, and not a wine, so the hints of pinot and oak come through, but not so much that it's a whack and caustic version of a brew. Maybe with some aging this could gain more complexity, but it's certainly nice now. And wow, such a clean and euphoric buzz, one that's certainly evident and makes itself known as such (emphasizing the notes of cleanliness and euphoria, as 10% is of course going to bring on a buzz).

Taste: Drink this at room temperature, or at least give it some time out of the fridge. Again, nuance here is the key, along with the harmony of the flavors. Where is the alcohol here? I've tasted stronger in 5% versions of the style, and that's a good hint for me that it's a quality brew, as it doesn't come out in the aroma or the taste. Candi sugar and spice come out initially, letting in some bready flavors, bread crust, slight vinous bitterness, slight oak, then letting in some of the citrus and coriander, and finishing with a semi-dry balanced infusion of all of the above, a long finish, with both the citrus, the mild vinous characteristics, the candi sugar, and the spiciness. Fresh it's pretty awesome, but I wonder what could happen with age.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied with good carbonation (not enough to act like an overly carbonated BSPA, thankfully), and coating enough to bring out the flavors without being too heavy.

Drinkability: Anywhere from $12-$14 a bottle (at least what I've seen), this can get a bit expensive. I liked the brew a lot, but I'm not sure how often I'd buy it. It may be something good for 4-packs, or to share with a friend, as the price is a bit high. But for the process I understand, not to mention I've been wanting to try it for a long time. It also changed my expectations a bit as far as what a Witbier could be. I'm with many on the specialty DFH brews being hit or miss, but thankfully this is a solid one for me.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

750ml bottle into a tulip glass.

Pours a very nice looking deep red/orange. Lots of tight bubbles leave a nice ring around the glass. Sticky lacing.

Smell is very typical Belgian Wit with corriander and orange peel at first. Of course the DFH twist shows up. A hint of grape juice lets you know this is not typical at all.

Tastes like the nose indicated. Definite corriander on the front end. Just a subtle bit of grape/wine on the edges. Boozy, but not overly so. I can't quite tell if I can taste oak or if that is just my mind telling me there is oak in there. Dry in the finish.

Overall, this is a good beer. Belgian White is not my favorite style typically but leave it to Sam and the boys to put a nice new spin on the style. I think it would be even better with food.

3.35/5  rDev -13.7%

25.6 oz bottle. Pours a light red with 1.5 cm off-white head. Aroma of some random fruits, mostly dark fruits and oranges. Initial flavor is balanced between sweet fruit, oak, and spice. Flavor ends dry and the pinot noir really comes out and dominates here and on the aftertaste. Medium body, some light lacing, light to moderate carbonation, and alcohol was defiantly noticed, kind of wine like in that sense. Drinkability is kind of low, if you want wine, buy wine.

2.57/5  rDev -33.8%

Poured into my new Brooklyn Brewery pilsner glass with a minimal head . Dark copper color very nice looking brew in the glass . The aromas are fruity and a tad spicy . A real chore to find any smells that come to mind . Sediment floats all around the glass . Taste-wise it is nothing to jump for joy about . Wheaty yes but nothing else comes to mind . After the first sip there is lacing on the glass . Boozy flavor with some bitterness . Second glass with the bottle warmed up the brew is a chore to drink . This started to be a big let down and maybe the one DFH product I will not purchase again . It is a bit too boozy for me .

3.73/5  rDev -3.9%

750 ml bottle acquired as an extra from Gueuzedude, thanks for this generous addition to my package, split with my dad tonight, went well with our steaks, poured into an oversized wine glass

A-Pink and red color with light brown and orange highlights, 3/4 inch creamy white head that left a cloud on top of the liquid, some decent retention, not much lacing after the first few minutes

S-Wheat, dark red wine, black cherries, Belgian yeast, lots of booze, caramel malt, tons of fruit, huge amount of coriander, orange peel, cloves, some ginger, several other fruits, milk, and molasses

T-Started off with a funky tart at the beginning, quite a bit of chewiness in the middle, then some hard alcohol and tons of sugar, finish was strong along with cherries and malt, as it warmed it became even sweeter and its thickness showed through, lots of grapes and berries in the aftertaste, could have used some hoppiness to balance out some of the sweet syrupy accents, too much fruit and malt for me

M-Syrupy and sweet mouthfeel, pretty thick body, could have definitely used some more carbonation, taste lingered for a little while, was quite strong at times with an aggressively boozy finish

D-Could not have drank this bottle by myself, ten or eleven ounces was more than enough for me, heavy stuff that was not very smooth, high ABV at ten percent and you can taste the alcohol

Interesting beer from Dogfish Head, makes me want to try Black and Blue next, did not know a wit could be so unqiue, the pinor noir really makes this one different than anything else I have had, would drink again but I do not think it will be brewed again any time soon, recommended if you are curious

4.32/5  rDev +11.3%

On tap at the Gaithersburg DFH Alehouse.

Obviously a strong red tinge to the traditional wit color. Not alot of head, but it was poured out of a pitcher sitting on the back of the bar. Not sure that's SOP for this beer or not.

Great character to the aroma, nice Belgian yeasty notes and definitely noticeable Pinot character. Fruity, some citrus and mild spice but really in the background. Flavor is yeasty, woody and fruity, with slight spicy notes in the back again. I like the blend of wine like notes and the wit spice and citrus.

Bigger bodied that a traditional wit, but not heavy at all. No I wouldn't drink another right away but I'd seek this one out again any chance I get.

A great creation from an awesome brewery.

4.12/5  rDev +6.2%

sure it's a wit beer, but i'm not exactly sure that it is in the right category for judging. anyways... hazy orangy amber with a nice white head that holds well and leaves nice lace. nose and taste are sweet creamy and caramelly malt, orange peel and corriander for sure with some spritzy, lemony, wheaty characteristics coming through as well. some clove comes through as it warms up as well. oaky smokey comes through in the finish, which is long and warming, with a fat, medium full body that carries a bit of prickliness. a wild beer in a class of its own. hard to judge. fun to drink once in a blue moon (no pun intended). stop hating.

2.56/5  rDev -34%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy copper with a white head that disipates quickly leaving no lace.
S - A definate fruity bitterness but nothing too exciting
T - Citrus and yeast with a tiny burn left over from some trace hops combined with the alcohol.
M - Syrap and murky yeast mouthfeel with little carbonation.
D - Was excited to try this beer but it did not really come through. Would drink again but only if it were a gift.

2.76/5  rDev -28.9%

Had this at the Amsterdam Bar in Dallas.

Beer poured a nice hazy red color with a decent white head on it in a Unibroue sniffer. Lacing was strong on the glass and a decent low head was constant. The smell coming off the brew was bland at best, very minor sweet notes. Really challenging to get any good smells here. Taste was just as bland. I could almost taste the yeast I think they used in Chateu Jaihu in the aftertaste, which was probably the high light of this brew. If I didn't drop 15 bucks on it I would have just done a drain pour. I had a hard time WANTing to finish it, and none of my friends were up to drink it either. Just wasn't that exciting to me. That said I'm not a wine fan/appreciator either. So maybe it was just me.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Bottle courtesy of Wickedpete: Poured a deep reddish color ale with a rather large foamy head with good retention and some good lacing notes. Aroma consists of coriander with some notes of wheat and light acidic touch. Taste is a very good mix between some wheat with great notes of coriander and some sweet malt. Great mix between spices and Belgian style malt. Full body with great carbonation and no alcohol. The only negative things that I have too say is that this beer might be slightly too sweet but apart from that great beer from Dogfish.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

$11.99 for a bottle! Yee haw! After my black & blue experience with DFH, I was really reluctant to try this. Glad I did.

Syrupy orange red-hinted color, translucent. Little head after a good pour. Looks good in a DFH goblet. Smells of Belgian yeast, believe it or not, and noticeable presence of the grapes that're involved. Taste is very nice - sweet, bitter, oak aging seems to have mellowed things out well. Grape presence is there, but only slightly. Nice beer from DFH.

4.78/5  rDev +23.2%

Sampled on 2-25-08
Bottled on 2-9-07

Pours a deep red/orange, very thick, with a huge foamy white head. The lacing covers the entire glass as you drink it.

Smell is very sweet, I get a strong hint of malted milk balls. A vegetabley sour fruit character comes next, adding a lot of complexity.

Taste is also quite sweet, with a caramel, candy-like character. It also tastes somewhat aged, in a good way, much like a wine. In fact, it really becomes more and more wine-like. Sour grapes and leaves add a great earthy quality and the alcohol dries out the finish.

Mouthfeel is absolutely perfect. Carbonation is spot-on, and the thickness lets the flavors coat the inside of your mouth.

Drinkability is staggeringly good, considering the higher abv and big, sweet flavors.

Overall, a beer I have been wanting to try for a long time. Well worth the wait, and right up there with my favorites.

Score Edited: 4-4-08
2008 Vintage

3.2/5  rDev -17.5%

Finally got around to drining this. Bottle dated 2/12/07 which I picked up when I toured the DFH brewery in Milton last summer. Pours a nice crimson copper with a heavy malt nose. Hops is noticably understated and almost absent. Carmelized cherries hit the nose.

Overall a decent beer, but not as distinctive as I would have liked. Pinot Noir, Coriander and orange peel is too subtle to impart significant character. Good try DFH, but no cigar. Still, quite drinkable though. But sort of akin to buying a Red Hot Chili Peppers CD and finding a Lawrence Welk CD inside. I expected more character.

2.45/5  rDev -36.9%

A- Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Poured a pink-reddish with little to no head.

S- Nice nose. A very noticeable tartness at first. Then notes of coriander, orange and pinot grapes. Smells like you are in for a treat.

T- Unfortunately the nose is where this all the good ended on this for me. I am a wine drinker and a beer drinker but this was neither. I think they should have aged this wit in Pinot barrels not add 'Pinot Noir Extract' to it. Sorry DFH this was a let down. It tasted too tart and astringent for my palate. I finished my glassful but it was tough. I don't know how to describe it except astringent!

M- I have to say the mouthfeel was okay. Decent carbonation and weight.

D- I had about 6oz of this and that was more than enough. I am sure others like it but it was not for me.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

A - this unique brew pours with a cranberry red hue, with a big white frothy head, beneath it there is massive amounts of both carbonation and sediment

S - the aroma is a struggle between sweetness and tartness, both seem associated with grapes, i cannot detect the orange peel, but i can detect a bit of the spicy coriander

T - i have little to no experience with Pinot Noir, so i cannot relate it to that, but i do notice a strong tart flavor up front that is pushed out of the way by a huge crashing oaky/vanilla/toffee sweetness that nicely coats, and returns to a grapeskin aftertaste

M&D - very smooth and easy down, a well crafted and well balanced brew, it teases that it may be unpleasant at first, but then it hits you with the balance and the great taste, well done again DFH

3.66/5  rDev -5.7%

Apparently, a few bottles of this retired brew made it to my local beer store. I poured the brew into a chimay sniffer glass. The color of the beer is a translucent orange, there was carbonation and head present when pouring, but after a few minutes it disappeared, leaving a wispy very light head. This beer has a fruity smell, sweet wine taste but with a barley wine type of finish when drinking it. mouthfeel is oily though and is surprisingly drinkable.
Like any limited dogfish head release is not your usual beer, this is no exception. I like to think of it as a cross of a wheat fruit beer and a barleywine and it's pretty good is you consider it as that. This beer is something to have as an alternative to your usual 6 pack of beer and to savor this beer once in a while.

3.81/5  rDev -1.8%

App: Nice bottle, cool illustrated label. The color of this beer is the true definition of "red & white." The head is pure thick white, almost translucent. And the beer itself is deep cherry red, red, red. Quite gorgeous.

Aroma: Hm, not so impressed by this. It's a strange smell between sweet and funky, which sounds good on paper, but doesn't come out as flatteringly in actuality. A bit wine-like, somewhat bold, but not big. Some alcohol presence in the nose accompanied by tart grape.

Taste: Full sweet, malty with solid alcohol and coriander notes. Spicy, big with strong grape sweetness. Pretty nice tastes but the flavors aren't blended and doesn't come across as well as I'd hoped.

Mouth: Medium bodied, full velvety and sparkly with good carbonation.

Drink: Eh, good but not great. But since this was a limited production we won't have the opportunity to drink that many more anyway.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Brewed with coriander and orange peel with pinot noir juice along with 10 malts and 10 hops.

A: Bright cherry red color with a slight head that quickly vanished.

S: Orange peel is noticeable in flavor with some fresh cherries that is only slightly tart.

T: Juice like texture with some mangos and peaches as well in flavor. Wine like palate, dried cherries and oak cask flavors. Fruitiness and juice flavor blend well together but is not as complex as I expected it to be. A witbeer with fruit is the best way to descried this.

M: light texture and lightly carbonated. fruity.

D: refreshingly different making for a worth while try.

3.88/5  rDev 0%

Pours a ruby hue with a nice off white head that falls rather quickly and leaves some lacing. Nose is grapey and fruity. Flavor is quite unique. Strong and noticeable fruit tones mix with a mild alcohol presence. Odd wine mixture that slightly reminds me of something along the St. Lamvinus line, but not quite that in the long run. So we have the fruity and earthy mix here with a nice full carbonation and smooth liquid touch. Overall this is a very interesting beer to say the least. Could it be a staple in my beer diet? I'd have to say no. But still interesting enough to try.

3.07/5  rDev -20.9%

750ml bottle, purchased about six months ago.
Pours a burnished copper color, not nearly the color I was expecting from a witbier. No head at all. Dead in the glass, which is surprising from a wheaty beer.
Smells like boozy, spicy caramel. More like a strong ale than a wit. More like a pinot noir than a wit.
The flavor is very malty, a little doughy and a lot caramel. Honey, vanilla and papery flavors, like it had a couple years in the bottle. Probably the barrel talking. Full bodied, sticky sweet, with jumpy, excitable carbonation. Mildly spicy, mostly coriander with some orange peel flavor in the finish providing some balance. Apricot fruitiness, some sour flavor from the wheat, I gather. Sweet overall, with very little going on besides caramel and more caramel. This might be better without the wine barrel. Lightly spicy, with that Dogfish Head sweet tooth they seem to have to all their beers. A bit of a prickle of alcoholic coriander lingers on the tongue. Kinda hot, plenty sweet.
Not my favorite. In fact, I'm disappointed. This could be a whole lot more wit-like. It could at least look like a witbier. Tastes like a depressed barleywine, or an american strong ale going through a bad spell. That being said, I did finish the bottle. There's something for that. If you're interested in a big-ass witbier, this is not a great example.

3.58/5  rDev -7.7%

A- This one poured a funky burnt orange color into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. I have never seen a beer this color before. Head is minimal after a semi conservative pour, but what is there is a neat bright pinkish-white color. This beer is non transparent.

S- The stongest smell that I cannot get out of my head is Welch's Grape juice. Otherwise, I catch the plain red grapes, chocolate covered cherries, and a bit of sour apple. Also, I think of Ocean Spray White Cranberry in there too. Sorry to "plug" all of these brand names, but that is the way I can distinguish these smells.

T- I can get the "witbier" effect from the Belgian candy sugar. Again, the cherries and grape juice mixed with cranberry are all over it. The mixture makes a somewhat raspberry flavor. Alcohol is there too and is noticeable. Through the lips, it is soft and smooth, but on the tongue, it comes alive and is flavorful and strong. The aftertaste is bitter and a tad "mediciney".

M- Carbonation is medium and the mouthfeel is sticky and oily.

D- I would say that the drinkablity is low on this one since it is so winey and sweet. When it warms, it turns more like cherry cough syrup too. However, it WAS good for this time, but I am not going back anytime soon.

Overall- First thing I can say is DIFFERENT! I love the fact that DFH has pushed the envelope again. That is my favorite quality of this brewery. They are not always giving you a sessionable brew or something you will love, but they give you a different look. Fruity, winey, strong and lively; just all around something different from beginning to end. I do not think any other brewery could pull this off. It is GREAT for the WOW! factor and for after dinner or with an Italian dish, I could see it hitting the spot. Do I like it? Hmm...maybe. Did I enjoy it? Definitely!

Red & White from Dogfish Head Brewery