Red & White - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Witbier |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 08-23-2006

A big, Belgian-style witbier brewed with coriander and orange peel and fermented with pinot noir juice. After fermentation, a fraction of the batch is aged in one of our 10,000-gallon oak tanks.

2.33/5  rDev -39.9%

A- Poured from a 750 ml bottle into a pint glass. Poured a pink-reddish with little to no head.

S- Nice nose. A very noticeable tartness at first. Then notes of coriander, orange and pinot grapes. Smells like you are in for a treat.

T- Unfortunately the nose is where this all the good ended on this for me. I am a wine drinker and a beer drinker but this was neither. I think they should have aged this wit in Pinot barrels not add 'Pinot Noir Extract' to it. Sorry DFH this was a let down. It tasted too tart and astringent for my palate. I finished my glassful but it was tough. I don't know how to describe it except astringent!

M- I have to say the mouthfeel was okay. Decent carbonation and weight.

D- I had about 6oz of this and that was more than enough. I am sure others like it but it was not for me.

3.93/5  rDev +1.3%

A - this unique brew pours with a cranberry red hue, with a big white frothy head, beneath it there is massive amounts of both carbonation and sediment

S - the aroma is a struggle between sweetness and tartness, both seem associated with grapes, i cannot detect the orange peel, but i can detect a bit of the spicy coriander

T - i have little to no experience with Pinot Noir, so i cannot relate it to that, but i do notice a strong tart flavor up front that is pushed out of the way by a huge crashing oaky/vanilla/toffee sweetness that nicely coats, and returns to a grapeskin aftertaste

M&D - very smooth and easy down, a well crafted and well balanced brew, it teases that it may be unpleasant at first, but then it hits you with the balance and the great taste, well done again DFH

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Apparently, a few bottles of this retired brew made it to my local beer store. I poured the brew into a chimay sniffer glass. The color of the beer is a translucent orange, there was carbonation and head present when pouring, but after a few minutes it disappeared, leaving a wispy very light head. This beer has a fruity smell, sweet wine taste but with a barley wine type of finish when drinking it. mouthfeel is oily though and is surprisingly drinkable.
Like any limited dogfish head release is not your usual beer, this is no exception. I like to think of it as a cross of a wheat fruit beer and a barleywine and it's pretty good is you consider it as that. This beer is something to have as an alternative to your usual 6 pack of beer and to savor this beer once in a while.

3.83/5  rDev -1.3%

App: Nice bottle, cool illustrated label. The color of this beer is the true definition of "red & white." The head is pure thick white, almost translucent. And the beer itself is deep cherry red, red, red. Quite gorgeous.

Aroma: Hm, not so impressed by this. It's a strange smell between sweet and funky, which sounds good on paper, but doesn't come out as flatteringly in actuality. A bit wine-like, somewhat bold, but not big. Some alcohol presence in the nose accompanied by tart grape.

Taste: Full sweet, malty with solid alcohol and coriander notes. Spicy, big with strong grape sweetness. Pretty nice tastes but the flavors aren't blended and doesn't come across as well as I'd hoped.

Mouth: Medium bodied, full velvety and sparkly with good carbonation.

Drink: Eh, good but not great. But since this was a limited production we won't have the opportunity to drink that many more anyway.

3.95/5  rDev +1.8%

Brewed with coriander and orange peel with pinot noir juice along with 10 malts and 10 hops.

A: Bright cherry red color with a slight head that quickly vanished.

S: Orange peel is noticeable in flavor with some fresh cherries that is only slightly tart.

T: Juice like texture with some mangos and peaches as well in flavor. Wine like palate, dried cherries and oak cask flavors. Fruitiness and juice flavor blend well together but is not as complex as I expected it to be. A witbeer with fruit is the best way to descried this.

M: light texture and lightly carbonated. fruity.

D: refreshingly different making for a worth while try.

3.9/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours a ruby hue with a nice off white head that falls rather quickly and leaves some lacing. Nose is grapey and fruity. Flavor is quite unique. Strong and noticeable fruit tones mix with a mild alcohol presence. Odd wine mixture that slightly reminds me of something along the St. Lamvinus line, but not quite that in the long run. So we have the fruity and earthy mix here with a nice full carbonation and smooth liquid touch. Overall this is a very interesting beer to say the least. Could it be a staple in my beer diet? I'd have to say no. But still interesting enough to try.

3.08/5  rDev -20.6%

750ml bottle, purchased about six months ago.
Pours a burnished copper color, not nearly the color I was expecting from a witbier. No head at all. Dead in the glass, which is surprising from a wheaty beer.
Smells like boozy, spicy caramel. More like a strong ale than a wit. More like a pinot noir than a wit.
The flavor is very malty, a little doughy and a lot caramel. Honey, vanilla and papery flavors, like it had a couple years in the bottle. Probably the barrel talking. Full bodied, sticky sweet, with jumpy, excitable carbonation. Mildly spicy, mostly coriander with some orange peel flavor in the finish providing some balance. Apricot fruitiness, some sour flavor from the wheat, I gather. Sweet overall, with very little going on besides caramel and more caramel. This might be better without the wine barrel. Lightly spicy, with that Dogfish Head sweet tooth they seem to have to all their beers. A bit of a prickle of alcoholic coriander lingers on the tongue. Kinda hot, plenty sweet.
Not my favorite. In fact, I'm disappointed. This could be a whole lot more wit-like. It could at least look like a witbier. Tastes like a depressed barleywine, or an american strong ale going through a bad spell. That being said, I did finish the bottle. There's something for that. If you're interested in a big-ass witbier, this is not a great example.

3.55/5  rDev -8.5%

A- This one poured a funky burnt orange color into my Dogfish Head shaped pint glass. I have never seen a beer this color before. Head is minimal after a semi conservative pour, but what is there is a neat bright pinkish-white color. This beer is non transparent.

S- The stongest smell that I cannot get out of my head is Welch's Grape juice. Otherwise, I catch the plain red grapes, chocolate covered cherries, and a bit of sour apple. Also, I think of Ocean Spray White Cranberry in there too. Sorry to "plug" all of these brand names, but that is the way I can distinguish these smells.

T- I can get the "witbier" effect from the Belgian candy sugar. Again, the cherries and grape juice mixed with cranberry are all over it. The mixture makes a somewhat raspberry flavor. Alcohol is there too and is noticeable. Through the lips, it is soft and smooth, but on the tongue, it comes alive and is flavorful and strong. The aftertaste is bitter and a tad "mediciney".

M- Carbonation is medium and the mouthfeel is sticky and oily.

D- I would say that the drinkablity is low on this one since it is so winey and sweet. When it warms, it turns more like cherry cough syrup too. However, it WAS good for this time, but I am not going back anytime soon.

Overall- First thing I can say is DIFFERENT! I love the fact that DFH has pushed the envelope again. That is my favorite quality of this brewery. They are not always giving you a sessionable brew or something you will love, but they give you a different look. Fruity, winey, strong and lively; just all around something different from beginning to end. I do not think any other brewery could pull this off. It is GREAT for the WOW! factor and for after dinner or with an Italian dish, I could see it hitting the spot. Do I like it? Hmm...maybe. Did I enjoy it? Definitely!

4.38/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to NutBrown for this brew.

750ml
Bottled On 02/09/07

Poured into a Dogfish Head glass a nice ruby red color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, which leaves some sticky lacing through out the drink. The nose is malty, oaky, tangy, slight citrus, raspberries, slight cheeries, yeasty, slight caramel. The taste is very nice, malty, slightly sweet, yeasty, oaky, and tangy. The alcohol is hidden very well, the finish is dry. Medium body. Very drinkable, I'm really liking this brew, quite different, nice mix of a witbier and some fruits. Recommended.

3.7/5  rDev -4.6%

Dark copper to reddish color with a fat, rocky off white head that has some pink tint in areas. Yeasty wheat sourness and a strong aroma of grape juice (Welch’s if you will), slight cheesy funk, and maybe some vanilla. Smooth malt begins and is quickly blanketed by a dry, sweet vinous character riding to the end and capitalized by a hefty oak barrel effervescent. Coriander, used moderately, does well to pull some of this chaos together. As it warms citrusy wit plays out more along with toffee notes. It’s 11 abv is pretty tamed making this damn drinkable. Silky, nearly syrupy mouthfeel maintains a nice crisp fizz. I would liked to see more wit in my wit but its never going to win a battle against pinot noir or oak barrels, non the less it was still good and I’d drink more.

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

Blood orange mixed with molten copper. The large, whipped creamy cap is primarily ecru in color, but features a pale rose blush that is almost certainly due to the Pinot noir juice. One doesn't often see this combination of colors in a single beer. The appearance is original, interesting and good. Let's see if the rest of the attributes follow suit.

Of the traditional witbier ingredients, only coriander is noticeable in the nose. Perhaps I'll pick up the orange peel once warming has worked its usual magic (note: I don't). There's also a subtle berry-like grapiness that needed to have been more than subtle to make an impact. It isn't like Dogfish Head to pull its punches... but then I haven't tipped up the glass yet.

Red & White is good beer that doesn't make any serious moves toward being great beer. At least it isn't another boozy, 'too avant garde for its own good' DFH ale. The label description got me ready for something special, with its unquestionably audacious marriage of an Imperial witbier and red grape juice, aged on wine barrels and oak. Unless something changes as the bottom of the bottle nears, the setup is better than the delivery.

First of all, the beer is too sweet. That's the biggest reason why the drinkability score doesn't keep pace with the flavor score. R & W reminds me of a Belgian ale is some undefinable way. Must be the yeast. The flavor profile is reminiscent of sweet red wine mixed with a dash of orange juice and a sprinking of coriander.

I don't get the oakiness at all. In my experience, it's much easier to appreciate woodiness in a dry beer rather than a sweet beer... and this one is tooth-rottingingly sweet. It seems to me that Red & White would work best as a dessert beer, to be shared with an entire tableful of people. Matching it with a blackberry tart would probably be fantastic.

If you like big, syrupy, sticky mouthfeels then DFH has a beer for you. Since I do, I like this one just fine. It works because the number of bubbles is pretty damn close to perfect. A few more would have been okay too. A few less would not have been.

I have mixed feelings about Red & White. On the one hand I applaud Mr. Caglione for thinking outside the box (as always). On the other, the beer is too weighted down by candi sugar to have any hope of being compared with Belgium's best. Sometimes a lighter touch is required.

A: Nice bright crimson red with a thinnish layer of pink hued foam which holds nice and tight on top.

S: The bottle mentions orange and coriander and it is there right up front., The wine qualities are there as well. Pinot Noir and oaked barrels are noted in the nose. Overall there is a nice cool rose like sweetness, so fine. so mellow., yet soooo DFH.

T: The wine qualities really come thru. This one is somewhat acidic. It is Carbonated sparkling and smooth. Cherry and tart cranberry are noted right up front. It is sparkling in the start and finishes dry.

M: Nice and sprakling.

D: Nice to sip with dinner.

Overall: This brew is meant to be a clash betwee the white ale and red wine, and boy does it come thru. The wit and wine qualities are both noted and brought out nicely. The oak flavors matched with the tart yet sweet red fruits is subpurb. Waitress I will pass on the wine tonight bring me a bottle of DFH Red & White with my meal.

I had been saving this one for sometime as it's now nearly a year old. Today Alex (Beerbeing) stepped up and said he would send me another. I could not pop the top fast enough. I really enjoyed this one and I will enjoy letting the new bottle will age a bit. I will bring it amount among friends, and a great meal where a nice bottle of red wine would be proper. Man those lucky bastards don't know what's in store when I bring out this one.

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

Dogfish Head has crossed into the demilitarized zone between beer and wine with this one--a beautiful, forward-thinking brew that stakes out new territory in the world of drinks.

From a nine-month old bottle.

Amber in color with hints of cranberry and a long-lasting, lacing head that eventually reduces to a thin, fizzy ring. Grapefruit and grapes mix in the bouquet and are checked by a slight, peppery and phenolic scent. The initial taste is of sweet, stewed fruit--berries, specifically--and it gives way to a more robust, creamy middle and a slightly spicy finish. The orange peel and alcohol are all hidden beneath the velvety cloak of grape juice flavors.

After nearly 750 mL, the sweetness does get to be a bit cloying, so my one criticism is that this could be a slightly tarter beer, but if beer and wine are on a collision course for some future hybrid, this is a great place to start that project.

Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer leaves the 750ml bottle a fuzzy incarnadine color with a reddish pink head that crowns the body, lacing provides a tight skirt to surround the glass. Nose has a tart oak like aroma, combined with coriander & orange peel, also hints of red wine and amazingly only very little of the 10 percent ABV shows through. Start is vinous, with a nice bit of toasted grain sweetness, top is light to medium in feel. The finish has a unrelenting acidity, the wine like traits along with the oak make the end sweet and somewhat sour with the parched aftertaste long lasting, another amazing brew tis’ true.

4.22/5  rDev +8.8%

Served at cellar temperature in a Duvel tulip. On tap, this was amazing... now it's time to sample DFH's bottled offering.

Appearance- Wow... the color of this beer is so different, it's a crystal clear deep pink... going into the glass it looked like a lambic. Head retention is full and soapy, with fantastic sheets of lacing draped across the inside of the glass. It didn't start that way... on the first pour there was no head or lace.

Smell- Lush, thick layers of coriander, wood, vanilla... what a special treat for the nose! Fully integrated and phenomenally balanced... probably about as *big* as a witbier's aroma could be. No suggestion whatsoever of alcohol presence.

Taste- Complex. Delicious. Spicy! How to describe this beer... enormous in its reach, just look at the recipe. The coriander, orange peel, pinot noir juice concentrate, and its respective aging in two different types of barrels really comes across on the palate. It's so huge and massive that I just want to sip this, not really talk about it so much. Enough said, let's finish this bottle.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- The beer begins quite prickly and carbonated, just short of being a detriment... then it quiets, becoming smoother and more wine-like. The belly warmth becomes an overall body warmth over the course of this two hour tasting, and I really want to emphasize what a successful, enjoyable rendition of a witbier this is. Never have I considered the possibility of this style as a nightcap, but it delivers big time. Try it if you can.

4.13/5  rDev +6.4%

"Red & White: Malt beverage brewed with coriander & orange peel with pinot noir juice concentrate added with 11% aged in pinot noir barrels and 89% aged on oak barrel staves." Bottled on 2/9/07.

Into a tulip glass, pours a quite bright, odd crimson orange, with a thin rose tinted head, fading to a thin film, lacing in thick sheets of finely bubbled foam, long stringy lacing and small splotchy spots stick here and there.

The aroma is one of a kind. The coriander and orange peel are there to be sure, some faint vestiges of malt in the deep background... and then this pinot comes whiffin along, adding that vinous quality that basically sets this beer apart from.... basically everything else on Earth. That said, its a bit faint and I'm left wanting more.

The taste has more strength, and complexity. The orange peel and coriander are there again, and now some wheat malt that now give me a sense that this is indeed a witbier. But again, through the middle comes the grapes and the tannins that come with it, combine with the beer qualities, dry up, take on an oaky character is it continues to dry through the finish, adding vanilla is it finishes. The body is medium full, fairly smooth, good carbonation.

As I continue to drink along, I remind myself how crazy and innovative DFH is and continues to be. Beer + wine? Who does that? And does it well? So yes, its a yummy beer, not for every occasion for sure, but would I substitute this for wine when company is over for dinner? You bet you ass I would!

3.68/5  rDev -5.2%

750 ml. bottle. Interesting beer. Poured a nice color red. Slight pink head. Flavor was a classic Witbier with just a touch of Pinot, not overbearing, but you notice it there in the background. The alcohol is almost impossible to detect. Easy to drink and a nice twist / change for a Wit. Putting one in the cellar for a future tasting.

3.63/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

750ml bottle purchased for $12.99 on 9-24-7 at Cedar Hills New Seasons.
Bottled on 2-12-7.

Poured at 50 degrees with a reddish copper hue and a sizable foamy head that retreats quickly. Free form lacing clings to the wine glass like dried windex on a south facing window being cleaned on a summer day. The aroma is unique. Vinous with a definite hint of coriander. Can't identify much else other than alcohol and yeast. First sip somewhat reminds me of the Horny Devil, but obviously with the addition of red wine character. Very interesting. The alcohol is up front, as is the coriander. The mouthfeel is soft and massaging on the tongue. The minimal bite from the carbonation doesn't really show up until you swallow. The aftertaste is vinous. Overall, this is a good beer and I'm glad I tried it. I might pick up another bottle for cellaring purposes if I see it again.

4.45/5  rDev +14.7%

Bottle. Poured a cloudy reddish-brown color with a small white head. Slight lacing. Aroma is a combo of a red wine and an amber ale, perhaps. Flavor is maltier and not as sour as the aroma led to believe it would be. Very smooth and drinkable. Alcohol presence to it, but it doesn't taste like it was 10% to me. Nice. Thanks timmyk77 for the taste.

3.23/5  rDev -16.8%

Served in a wine glass at aprox. 50F. Beer is reddish peach in color with very light carbonation.
Aroma is wine like with hints af fruit, coriander, yeast/bread, and oak.
Taste is similar to a desert wine with notes of date, apricot, and raisin. There are also strong notes of coriander and other flavors typically found in Whit beers (citrus/yeasty/ect.). I also get some apple notes. On top of all of those flavors there is the oak. It is slightly sweet especially when compared to a wine although it is by no means cloying. But given the flavor profile I think I would enjoy the beer more is it was a little drier.
Mouth feel gets a little heavy as beer warms. The carbonation does help the relative heaviness/sweetness of the beer.
Over all a very complex beer. Perhaps too complex?

Photo of
4.03/5  rDev +3.9%

750ml bottle

Crystal clear, red/gold color. Medium to large, creamy, light tan head with a touch of pink. Legs, but no lacing.

Winelike - chardonay. Sweet, maybe some raisins. Coriander and some orange.

Sweet more than bitter, cotton candy like, maybe some honey. Belgianesque. Orange.

Medium + body, with a heavy to viscous body. Medium to high carbonation. Refreshing.

Very different. I like it, despite my devotion to the hop. I bet this would go great with Turkey Day. Looks a bit like Mad Elf. Incredibly complex.

4.33/5  rDev +11.6%

Bought this and a bottle of the Black and Blue at the Dogfish Head brewery in DE. It poured a hazy ruby color with a pink foamy head and mild carbonation.
Sweet and bitter fruits dominate the smell, with raspberry cherry maybe some grape and hints of vanilla. Very complex and reminiscent of a lambic.
The sweet fruit taste dominates with grape, cherry and some vanilla. The taste is bittersweet but overall the focus here is fruit moreso than wheat.
The mouthfeel is almost more interesting than the taste; bubbly bitter carbonation washes over the palate while sweet tastes face into a more bittersweet aftertaste.
Overall very drinkable, complex and refreshing.

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%

Red & White pours a hazy deep red cranberry (almost purple) color into the glass. On top a small off white and pinkish hued fizzy foam forms. The head quickly dissolves to a thick ring around the surface leaving behind a few clumps of lace on the glass.

The aroma is musty and fruity. Notes of oak and vanilla give the scent an earthy tone, while some grape, cherry and cranberry aromas contribute to its fruitiness. Blended in the aroma is a dry alcohol that waters the eyes.

Each sip of this medium bodied beer is very soft and smooth with a mild carbonated tingle on the tip of the tongue. The flavor begins sweet with some oak and vanilla. In the middle tart fruit flavors of grape and cherry move in to balance out the sweetness. At the end the beer finishes sweet with some yeast and alcohol mixed in.

For 10% abv this beer is quite drinkable. The complex flavor is interesting and not found in many beers.

4.15/5  rDev +7%

This beer looked pretty good off the pour - slightly hazed with a burnt orange, nearly red, colour. A solid head of fine, off-white foam fell to a solid ring with with lingering bubbles on the surface. Some lacing, but little stickage. Aroma was appealing as well, with fruity grape notes and a hint of oak melding well with the malt. Fairly mellow, little evident alcohol, mild vanilla, and a bit crackery. The flavour was quite fruity, mostly grape/vinous in character with some (straw)berry sweetness. Bitterness was low, leaving it on the sweet side, but made somewhat of an impression towards the end. The wood makes its appearance at the mid-point - you definitely get the oakiness - but it tastes a little out of place at first, with a bit of a harsh quality that fortunately disappeared after a few sips. The finish was quite warm, full of berries and oak that lingered ligthly on the palate. Slightly sticky texture with fine, creamy carbonation. Overall, a very interesting beer. The alcohol was hidden well and the balance was pretty good for a big experimental beer. Definitely not an everyday drink, but it seems like it might work well with certain sweet, fruity desserts, even for those who aren't beer enthusiasts.

3.45/5  rDev -11.1%

750 ml bottle, bottled on 2/9/07. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a red amber color with a half inch off-white/light pink head. It smells like cherries, cranberries, coriander and a bit of red wine. The aroma is on the weak side. It tastes the same as it smells, however there's also oak and vanilla in the taste, along with a bit of earth and spicyness. Mouthfeel is light but has a good bit of carbonation. Drinkability is OK, it's smooth and a little slick. I think it's a decent beer, but it's not something I would want to drink on a regular basis.

Red & White from Dogfish Head Brewery