Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006)
airevac19

JeffSuttonTX

03-11-2013 01:31:08 | More by JeffSuttonTX
jsp2

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Pours an odd, amber mixed with blue and red. Cloudy with bubbles releasing, and a very thick creamy head that reduces very slowly. Bottle says bottled in 2009 and has a picture of a creepy looking guy wearing a fancy blue coat. Pretty unique color to this brew.

Fruity, yeasty aroma with blueberries, roses, and cloves, very sweet and strong aroma.

Taste is rich with malty sweetness, spicy yeast followed by a tart berry flavor. Well balanced from the tartness of the berry with a malt sweetness. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste but not overwhelming at all. Maybe a faint bit of hops that blends well with the berry tartness.

Pretty low carbonation, rich with a lot of body. Silky and not cloying.

Yet another very unique brew from DFH. Each aspect of this brew is executed wonderfully compared to other fruit beers. Expect lots of Belgian and berry flavors but still a drinkable product that is not too sweet.

04-10-2009 22:01:40 | More by jsp2
csrbv

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Red orange hue with a quickly disappearing head

Smells like black raspberry and blueberry, even blueberry pie. go figure.

Tingly mouthfeel, but light in my opinion.

Overall, a really nice unique but slightly sweet fruit beer. I was expecting something insane from Dogfish Head based on the other reviews, but you pretty much get what you read on the label, which is really nice. Might be more of a desert beer than anything you would want to drink with a meal.

05-11-2012 23:00:03 | More by csrbv
Walkerjgt

05-17-2014 21:53:45 | More by Walkerjgt
DaleStenberg

11-03-2013 00:33:13 | More by DaleStenberg
TheCervezaChica

Vermont

4.7/5  rDev +28.4%

Since this beer has fruits in it I am already happy to drink it. I love the blueberry and blackberry taste that I get from it. I have had the chance to try this beer on tap as well as from the bottle, and I am usually happiest drinking something on draft.

This beer is a tad pricey, but I suppose since they use so much fruit and the ABV is pretty high then that would justify it. I am happy to have one of these beers and move on because it will definitely have you feeling nice pretty quickly.

This is another beer that it is a shame that DFH doesn't brew this beer year round, but good things come to those who wait.

The mouthfeel on this beer is wonderful and the fruit overpowers the alcohol enough so that you really can't taste it. The nose on it is very enticing. This is another great beer brewed by DFH.

06-30-2011 22:42:27 | More by TheCervezaChica
Supes

Arizona

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%

Appearance- Pours a hazy reddish plum color. About a pinky worth of head that disapears after about 45 seconds. Real inviting look to it.

Smell- A little sweet malt. Really big fruit notes that make me say WOW. I get mostly raspberries. I can tell its real fruit and lots of it not some fake flavoring.

Taste- Wow again. So much fruit rushing towards me. Sweet as expected but not so much where I had trouble finish the bottle. I get raspberries in the begging with a little tartness and finsh agian with a touch of blueberries. A real jammy like quality that I find to be fantastic.

Mouthfeel- A good medium body with a decent creamy finish.

Overall- I do love fruit beers. Its a preferred style of mine. Knowing that though I havent tried a hole lot of them. But that being said this is one of my favorites so far. Everything seemed to work well. I cant wait to find more.

06-28-2011 20:42:24 | More by Supes
Agent1

British Columbia (Canada)

4.68/5  rDev +27.9%

I will be opening an aged 750 ml bottle of Black & Blue from 2007. This was a limited edition release, and this particular bottle has been aging for the past seven years. It definitely changes with each bottle and it surprises me every time. I plan on opening the remaining 750s every 6 months until there are gone (only 2 bottles left after this one). This is my third bottle.

Appearance - A rich, deep orange. Dark copper with bright white head. Great lacing, but thin head. Great carbonation and the bubbles remain very, very active. That being said, there is not a huge amount of head on this beer, but overall, it looks sexy.

Smell - Cherries and raspberry jam. Red wine and grape on the nose. Honey and cotton candy. Fermented fruits, which is pretty obvious because, quite literally, that is what this is. Quite sweet. Makes the mouth water in anticipation.

Taste - Lots of astringent tannins. A very stinging alcohol bite which is so shocking, sour, yet rewarding to the tongue. Big, bold fruits here: candied apple, grape peel, fermented cherries raspberries, blackberries, blood orange, strawberries and lemon (most likely a flavor given off from the fermented fruit -- almost sour). Great choice of yeast (definitely a high gravity yeast at work here, otherwise it wouldn't allow this beer to age this good -- possibly Belgian?). Extremely complex. Lots of other subtle layers such as cloves, coriander, tea leaves, brown sugar and rich barley. Very sour...nearing a lambic, but not quite. This is the closest beer I've had to mimic traits of red wine due to its acidity.

Mouthfeel - Very full bodied. Great carbonation with a thick, sticky, syrupy mouthfeel -- almost similar to cough syrup, but in the most pleasant way. This activates all areas of the mouth. Being slightly sour from the fermented fruits and sugars, this delivers a heavy, hard hitting, gustatory orgasm.

Overall - More like wine than beer at this stage. This is aging really well, and I'm willing to bet I wouldn't like this beer freshly bottled nearly as much as I do now. I'm sure it would be a solid beer, but I can see it being super sweet, jammy and heavy on the fresh fruits used. This is becoming darker in color and richer in malts, sugars and fruits. Very, very tasty and complex.

01-23-2014 02:34:32 | More by Agent1
VMWhelan

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Poured from a 750mL bottle into a tulip.

Pours a reddish orange with a thick white frothy head. Head has shades of orange as well. Great lacing.

Nose is mostly the fruit (blueberries and raspberries) on top of some malt. Smells tart but sweet with some caramel and yeast notes.

Taste is again dominated by the fruit. Hits tart at first and the malt and some bready/yeastyness comes through after, almost reminiscent of a warm blueberry muffin. Some booziness in this one but its not overpowering, as it mixes with the tartiness very well.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Carbonation is medium-high. Slightly dry.

Drinkability is high. There's a good amount of booze in this one, but its very enjoyable and goes down easy. Not hard to kill the 750mL alone, but at 10%abv, you need to be careful.

05-04-2011 03:13:44 | More by VMWhelan
jbriggs7036

Maryland

4.65/5  rDev +27%

Surprised by how much I liked this beer. Made me rethink Dogfish Head. The dark color with fruit tends to throw me off, but this beer was quite exceptional. Highly recommended.

11-28-2009 04:33:33 | More by jbriggs7036
jwhancher

4.64/5  rDev +26.8%

Broke out a bottle with bottled on date of 2010. Poured into a large tulip glass.

Pours a somewhat cloudy amber with orange highlights. Small lacing on the top with a little lacing. Can see some sediment floating around but that's expected give the bottled on date.

Smells very pleasing. Just like a fruity wine would produce nice aromatics, this one delivers in the same vein. I get the berries but a good dose of orange & coriander. Also some jelly/jam and strawberries. Some alcohol notes in the nose, but well under control.

T: A heavy dose of orange, berry fruit, some lemon, and a red wine like presence. It's a little hard to straight pick out the black & blue berries as neither completely dominate the flavor (or aroma) profile. Has some nice hop bitterness at the tail end, but hop character is unnoticeable.

M: Feels about medium. It has a really nice thirst quenching quality to it. Would be great on a hot summer day.

O: This one is really hard to nail down as it takes on the wine -esque attributes while still maintaining the craft beer style. Almost seems like a red-wine sangria. Seriously.

I'm really impressed with what this is. This one blows away barriers as to what to expect of craft beer. I know this has been out there for some time and I'm pretty sure I've tried it before as I've had most DFH offerings being in Philly. Not sure if the age has anything to do with it, but I really am enjoying this. Wow! A great beer.

04-03-2013 00:41:01 | More by jwhancher
czfreeman

4.6/5  rDev +25.7%

I am a huge fan of Dogfish Head, I truly enjoy the innovation of Mr. Calagione. After drinking the stellar Red and White a few times, I was extremly excited to see this brew.
Pours out a murky burnt-orange, reddish tones in there, lightish amber. A gorgeous foamy pinkish colored crowm caps this effervescent glass of Rose'.
Smells of blueberry, raspberries, oaks, a nice funky Belgian yeastiness meshes in all the fruitiness. Red grapes, grassy herbal notes, white raisins, spiced cherries follow. This really is great on the aromatics, reminds me a bit of a Lambic, with a bit less tartness, but the subdued fruit-Belgian yeast interplay is quite enjoyable.

Flavor is simply great. I could list twelve dumb adjectives instead, but this simply is some really good brew. Think Framboise, or a Rose' wine, or the Lambic note comes back to mind. Raspberries, blueberry, white grapes, vanilla, sweet white raisins, white chocolate, angel food, red grapes, Anjou pears, honey, nice pale maltiness. A cherry smoky oaked flavor comes through all married with a fantastic Belgian creamy-funky yeast strain that takes a really well crafted beer to an entirely different level.

Drinkablity is decent, limited by the lack of avaliability and the price of this brew.
Alone, a great, conteplative sipper. But this beer really has some serious power when it comes to pairing. It would be a knockout paired with a arugula salad with goat cheese and a fig compote, or cut beautifully through the creaminess of buttery scallops. I imagine the tartness would marry well with a foie gras appetizer with a blueberry gastrique.
Mr. Calagione has yet again crushed the boundries between beer and wine and created a beautifully harmonious brew with qualities of each. Live, vibrant fruity qualities meets wild musty yeasty balance. Who else is doing something this innovative. I must score high for this great brew, can't wait to cook with this one.

03-31-2009 02:44:00 | More by czfreeman
Kakaraht

British Columbia (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%

A: Very cloudy reddish color, kinda like the inside of a blueberry. Medium head with nice lacing

S: Nice berry aroma with a hint of Belgian yeast.

T: Very subtle very smooth. The berry's blend very nicely into a sour saison like beer with warm sweet earthy notes and tart berry finish. I really like the smoothness of the flavors.

M: Medium carbonation and mouth feel,the flavors lingers nicely.

D: This is always a repeat beer for me, i find it perfect for sipping while sitting around a nice big campfire.

01-17-2011 03:58:50 | More by Kakaraht
melloashello

Tennessee

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%

I'm sipping on my second glass of this fine beer as I write this review. Let me just say, this beer is excellent. The pour was amazing, it just shines with beautiful color and the aroma is incredible. I'll be honest, after I finish this glass, I shall pour another and maybe another. The drinkability is out of this world. I love this beer. Another awesome job from Dogfish.

11-19-2009 04:18:03 | More by melloashello

Lanstrum

05-30-2013 22:23:39 | More by Lanstrum
Kolsch

4.5/5  rDev +23%

22oz bomber at Headkeeper, Greensburg PA. Shared with my wife.

Appearance: Flanders red, looks like a rose wine. Small cusp of head stayed around thru entire drink

Smell: was very welcoming. Fruity and very belgian like. Can't wait to taste this one.

Taste: was just awesome. Fruity, though you would think blueberry was the dominant flavor(it wasn't). Yeasty, sweet and not too tart. Very inline to a belgian dubble or triple. Wasn't as sweet as might by expected. I am not sure I would label this as a fruit beer. This definitely resembles a Belgian offering.

Overall: Absolutely one of the best beers that Dogfish has made. Far better than Red & White and even Fort for that matter.

04-11-2009 12:49:00 | More by Kolsch