Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

Reviews: 517 | Hads: 1,570
3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer poured poured out as a purplish red color with a foamy pink/white head on top. The head settles and doesn't leave much lacing at all. The smell of the beer is fruity, yeasty and has a little funk to it. The taste of the beer is a lot like wine in my opinion. I think the berries used in it give off an interesting flavor once fermented in this brew. The mouthfeel is semi-thick like most of the DfH big bottles are. Overall this beer is decent, I can't say that I've wanted or needed to have it since the first and only time I drank it. If I was at a party and someone had it I would totally drink it again. (617 characters)

2.88/5  rDev -22%

Bottled in 2010.
Split with my wife and served in wine glasses.

This is a little bit like a blueberry/blackberry Cerise... Only not done as well in my opinion.
I REALLY like Cerise... This one isn't bad, but since fruit beers are my guilty pleasure, I tend to rate them a bit harder...

The beer looks like a nice fruit beer-- pinkish orange in color with a small white head. Nice thick and oily legs but no lacing and weak retention.
Smells like a wild berry Belgian golden ale mixed with blackberry Clearly Canadian sparkling water... It has some positives and some negatives... The flavor has an off-putting mineral/chalky quality that I'm not the biggest fan of-- although as it warms that goes away a bit (or perhaps I grow accustomed to it?!)
The beer starts of with some raspberry, black cherry, and light blueberry notes before finishing REALLY dry and kicking forth waaay too much yeast character. The finish lingers with a little boozy warmth that isn't entirely unpleasant-- but that stands out in a big way because the flavor profile isn't big enough to support this level of booziness. More fruit flavor would be awesome-- maybe triple the blueberry and double the blackberry.

The beer has a slight syrupy feel to it with an oiliness on the finish. More carbonation would help.

Overall-- this beer is too boozy, not flavorful enough, and in need of more carbonation. lots could be improved on--- but if this were my homebrew I would be eager to play with it. I certainly wouldn't stop here, I'd reconfigure the recipe and try to make something spectacular. I do harbor a slight concern that the base beer is the wrong platform off of which to build this recipe, but perhaps more fruit, and a bit more sweet malt action could save it. (1,750 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

A dark but bright red, almost a deep orange. Lots of sediment floating around underneath a bright white, nearly pink, silky head. Excellent retention. AS soon as I popped the cap, I was hit with an aroma of blueberries. Raspberries are there for sure as well. Definitely light and fruity on the nose, very pleasant. Touch of grain in the background.

Full of flavor, pretty much as always with DFH. There is a hint of blueberries that gives way to a tangy raspberry taste directly afterwards, only to come back to a sweetness in the end that combines with a warming boozy flavor. At 10%, its noticeable but not distracting, almost as an afterthought. There is a slight bitterness in the back of the mouth, detectable mainly after the swallow that is reminiscent of some light floral hops. The mouthfeel is silky smooth, but spritzy and crisp where it needs to be, and slightly boozy in the finish. Pretty excellent.

Overall this is a really enjoyable drink. I'm not usually very big on sweeter beers like this, but this had just enough balance to not be cloying, even after a whole bottle. I would say that this would be an excellent dessert beer shared after a nice family dinner where everybody could sip on it. It is pretty delicious. (1,239 characters)

2.86/5  rDev -22.5%

Picked up a 750 ML bottle in a trade with Dawson's Liquor in Severna Park, MD and poured it into a Tripel Karmeliet branded tulip glass - thanks fellas!

A: Pours a hazy amber hue with a decent head that dissipates quickly leaving a minor amount of lacing in its tracks.

S: Smells like mixed berry cool aid and not much more - no yeast, malt or hop presence what so ever - didn't expect much hop character, but where's the rest of the depth to this brew ???

T: Berry and booze with a hint of malt is all I get (a lot like berry flavored jolly ranchers with no end to the sweetness) - completely lost on this one...

M/D: Medium to full bodied, very chewy, with a creamy finish. Difficult to drink more than a small glass - too sweet and thick. Very weird for the style. (771 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a bright amber with a one inch of head. Nice retention. Smells of black raspberries and blueberries. Both are equally noticeable. There's also a hint of yeast. Taste is blueberries first and the black raspberries coming in second, but both have equal contribution again here. Despite all the fruit, it's not overly sweet. The alcohol is noticeable as the beer warms, but it adds warmth and takes nothing from the flavor. Well carbonated, crisp, smooth, very drinkable.

At 10% this beer is scary drinkable. This is one of the best fruit beers I have ever had. I'll definitely pay the price tag for this again. (615 characters)

4.04/5  rDev +9.5%

Red orange hue with a quickly disappearing head

smells like black raspberry and blueberry, even blueberry pie. go figure. Sweet Malts come thru, couldnt say which malts. Also a boozy aroma

warm boozyness hits along with the aforementioned fruits. Sweet maltiness (honey?) maybe even a mead-ish character.

Boozy, tingly mouthfeel, but heavy.

Overall, a really nice unique fruit beer. It reminds me of a light bodied mead. I was expecting something insane from DFH, but you pretty much get what you read on the label, which is nice. Just unexpected from my point of view. (575 characters)

3.47/5  rDev -6%

I tried on tap at the DFH brew pub in rehoboth.

While the appearance in the wide open glass was real enticing with nice thick head that slowly disipated and the smell strong of fruit, I would have to say that was the best part of the beer. I enjoy fruit beers but this one took on too much of a "juice" quality to me. It did however pack a nice kick alcohol wise!

Being a fan of Dogfish and their try anything attitude I wouldn't advise against trying it, just not my cup of beer. (482 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -14.4%

This is a 2009 bottle from....I'll get back to you when I have that sheet open.

Into pint glass.

Nice pour with a deep amber that is a touch cloudy in the center but brighter to the edges. Starts with a thick offwhite head that leavs half sticky lacing and a rim of tight bubbles at the end.

The initial burst of aroma is wonderful, very full of berries, a little bit of malt and a touch of booze. But it evaporated leaving only an overripe berry aroma that is fine, but flat.

The taste is similarly flat. There is a bit of malt, a touch of floral underneath but exceptionally strong 'juice' component. There's nothing exceptional here, if I drink the entire 750ml I imagine I'll have heartburn.

Very nice mouthfeel. It's well carbed, and that helps the juice flavor fizzle on the palate rather than staying as flat as it did in the nose. A little booze bite at the death is also welcome.

(138th) (904 characters)

2.73/5  rDev -26%

On Tap at Hulmeville Inn.

Appearence is much lighter than expected given the ingredients and the name of this beer. The color is olympic medal gold with a touch of faded orange sticking out. A flimsy cap that becomes nothing and leaves nothing.

Smell is quite pungent. I do get alot of berries, black over blue. But I also get a big heaping of grape. And it's not just grape, this smells exactly like grape jolly ranchers. After I smelt it, that's all I could get out of it.

Taste is quite bold and filled with sweet berry flavor. The problem is that it comes off artificial and that is because of the grape jolly rancher that engulfs this here beer. I get anice hit of backberry and grape, the blueberry, not so much.

Feel is a strong medium and the carb is a bit lighter than the Red and White counterpart. I was burping up Jolly ranchers long after I finished this so the artificial flavor stays a bit. A bit of alcohol to but not hot. I did not enjoy this so much. To fake tasting and everytime I taste candy in my beer, it's a huge turn off. (1,051 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -5.7%

Had 3 bottles of this along with 3 bottles of Red & White on a fishing trip to the Finger Lakes. Must say, I liked the Red & White better. At any rate, this is a fine fruit beer. The fruit is very pronounced in both nose and mouthfeel. Very sweet in my opinion. This would be a fine after dinner/dessert beer. The 10% is hardly noticeable. This one could sneak up on you quickly. Not so sure I'll revisit this in the future, but I enjoyed it quite a bit. (454 characters)

A - This beer pours a hazy orangish copper color. It has a nice 2-finger slightly off-white head on it. The head has decent retention and it leaves behind some nice lace on the glass.

S - It has a big beer scent which is to be expected. There are a lot of scents of blueberry, blackberries, and raspberries. There is also some honey sweetness and some belgian yeast.

T - There is a lot of blackberry and blueberry flavor up front. There is some nice candied sweetness and belgian yeast in the background. There are are also some spices and honey flavors present.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice smooth feel to it. There is some sourness, but it is balanced out by the sweetness. A bit of alcohol warmth on the back end.

O - This has good drinkability. It goes down easy and the flavor is very nice. Overall, I thought this was a very nice fruit beer. It has just the right amount of sweetness to perfectly balanced out the fruit. Definitely worth a try. I would buy this again. (1,032 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +7.6%

Bottle properly cellared and dated 2009 D. Poured into my NEW DFH signature glass.

A- A ruddy reddish, copper color. Bits of berry and yeast sediment floating in the glass. Decent pink hue head that clings to the glass in places as it fades. Awesome carbonation up the center from this new style glass!!!

S- Sweet & Sour berries, pungent yeastiness... A touch of alcohol hotness even after 2 years in the dungeon! Smells like real blueberry and blackberry's... not like the liquid extract that some use! Nice acid sourness mixed with the sweet malts. Not very complex, but I don't think it was supposed to be! This one is all about the berries!!!

T- Fresh squeezed berries!!! Sweet and sour bite that never lets go! The yeast throws itself into the party and gives some banana and figgy notes, but the sour fruit slams you in the face and lets you know that this is a berry forward brew!

M- Still a ton of carbonation after 2 years! NICE!!! The sweetness and sour of the berry blend well, and really lean forward on your tongue. A nice yeastiness that seems to keep it all in check. Again, you're not gonna be looking for all the flavors that a Quad, IIPA, or RIS bring. But for what it is, and what it's supposed to represent... it's really nice!

O- A really nice fruit forward brew! Love the berry/carbonation POP!!! For what it's supposed to be and do... I'd say it's very good for the style it represents! Pair this with a fresh berry/spinach/blue cheese salad, A cheese and fruit plate, or blueberry jam glazed grilled chicken w/ coconut couscous! (1,560 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Dogfish Head Black & Blue is a clear, solid golden ale topped with a dense sand colored head that has outstanding retention and lacing. It has a super fruity aroma of fresh black raspberries and blueberries. It's a little sweet, a little floral and there's a whiff of light grain. It's medium bodied and lively. The finish is pretty clean and a little astringent. It's a little sweet and fairly bitter. There's a little sourness. It tastes more like fruit wine than fresh fruit. The black raspberry is pretty prominent at the start of the taste. It gets progressively more bitter as the finish approaches. It's mostly juniper and alcohol by the finish. Berries linger in the aftertaste. It has qualities of an old ale, a mead, a melomel and a sahti. It's very unique! It tastes a little boozy, so I wouldn't say this is for chugging, but it's enjoyable, unique and pretty classy. (879 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed from notes taken during playoff hockey. This was a 2008 vintage.

A - Poured into a Duvel tulip a reddish grapeskin crystal clear colour with a fizzy super tiny head that left a thin halo.

S - Super sweet blueberry juice and skin aromas with some nice malts. The ABV is present on the nose as well.

T - Pretty good with super sweet blueberry notes. Its painfully obvious that this is a 10%+ ABV beer as intermixed with the sweetness is a strong alcohol kick.

M - Low carbonation and somewhat syrupy. As in everything else, the ABV is present.

O - I can dig this brew. Its kinda like a blueberry barleywine. Not sure if a few more years would have made it all mellow out but if that ABV can tone down a bit this would be a really nice beer. (752 characters)

3.92/5  rDev +6.2%

A: Pours a reddish copper color with a two finger thick, slightly off-white head that slowly dissipates. Lacing is sparse, but sticks around throughout.

S: Massive raspberry and blueberry and fruit pie scent to it. Very sweet and natural smelling. Literally just like fresh picked fruit baking in the oven.

T: Very sweet and fruity. Tastes just like it smells. Very strong raspberry and blueberry flavors coming through with the slightest bit of malts just before the finish, which is a bit boozy.

M: Thin medium bodied beer with average carbonation. The feel is fruity, very fruity.

D: I wouldn't say this is a great beer, but for what they are trying to do here, they really nailed it. This is a fruit beer and everything about it screams fruity, berry goodness. If you're looking for a fruity, interesting beer, give this one a try. (841 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +26.6%

Since this beer has fruits in it I am already happy to drink it. I love the blueberry and blackberry taste that I get from it. I have had the chance to try this beer on tap as well as from the bottle, and I am usually happiest drinking something on draft.

This beer is a tad pricey, but I suppose since they use so much fruit and the ABV is pretty high then that would justify it. I am happy to have one of these beers and move on because it will definitely have you feeling nice pretty quickly.

This is another beer that it is a shame that DFH doesn't brew this beer year round, but good things come to those who wait.

The mouthfeel on this beer is wonderful and the fruit overpowers the alcohol enough so that you really can't taste it. The nose on it is very enticing. This is another great beer brewed by DFH. (819 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +17.3%

1pt 9.6 oz bottle poured into tankard.

A: Hazy reddish plum in color. Slightly off white head, two finger head that lasted the entire beer and left a well laced glass. Looks very interesting.

S: On opening it I smelled the raspberry then blueberry notes. Smells real not made artificially.

T: Pour was a little off so i dove in to lap the overflowing head i was greeted by an effervescent medially of blueberry and raspberry. Blueberry and raspberry are at the front of the palate with sweet malt rounding out the end.

M: Nice middle ground for this beer not too thick not too thin and well carbonated. Made me crave cheerios which I eat with either blueberry, blackberry or raspberry depending on what I have. So that is a point in its court.

D: Would,d be a great desert beer or you could... nah this is nice anytime. On another note it made em crave Cheerios which I eat with blue, black or raspberries. (915 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +26%

Appearance- Pours a hazy reddish plum color. About a pinky worth of head that disapears after about 45 seconds. Real inviting look to it.

Smell- A little sweet malt. Really big fruit notes that make me say WOW. I get mostly raspberries. I can tell its real fruit and lots of it not some fake flavoring.

Taste- Wow again. So much fruit rushing towards me. Sweet as expected but not so much where I had trouble finish the bottle. I get raspberries in the begging with a little tartness and finsh agian with a touch of blueberries. A real jammy like quality that I find to be fantastic.

Mouthfeel- A good medium body with a decent creamy finish.

Overall- I do love fruit beers. Its a preferred style of mine. Knowing that though I havent tried a hole lot of them. But that being said this is one of my favorites so far. Everything seemed to work well. I cant wait to find more. (881 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +10.3%

A: This poured a slightly hazy copper with moderate white head.
S: It smelled like sweet blueberries and wild Belgian yeast, with some slightly tart blackberries and candi sugar and fresh wheat.
T: It tasted like tart blackberries and sweet blueberries, with sour yeast and spicy saison hops and a bit of fresh wheat. It had a light and clean aftertaste that was a bit dry.
M: It was slightly thick and viscous with lots of carbonation. Decent.
D: This was a very nice beer with good balance of sweet and tart. It could maybe be a bit more bold, but the alcohol was very well hidden so it was dangerously easy to drink. Great beer for any season, and could be really fun with food pairing. I enjoyed this better than Red & White. (729 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +10.8%

Appearance. Pours a lightly hazy, deep amber-red with a hint of blue. Thin bubbly white head.

Smell. Blackberry, floral hops and a little caramel and toasty grain. Smells good.

Taste: Sweet blueberries and tart blackberries. Some toasty grain creeps up and finishes pretty nicely with lots of fruit and a little booze.

Mouthfeel. Medium body with lively medium carbonation.

Overall. Nice berry flavours with great body and nice level of sweetness for what's going on in this one. Just a little boozy, but it's forgivable ;-) (528 characters)

4.24/5  rDev +14.9%

A- Red-copper. Thin head disappates quickly. Little lace
S- The berries come through pretty well. A good bit more blueberry than blackberry is the first thing I notice. There is a bit of like a wheat note to it. Upon investigation apparently the base beer is a Belgian Golden, but it really has some witbier characterstics on the nose.
T- Syrupy berries, again more blueberries than black, though black comes through as well. Not too complex, but on the scale of fruit beers this a tasty one.
M- Sticky, low carbonation.
O- This is a good beer, and one I think a lot of wine drinkers might enjoy. I wouldn't call it complex by any means, and the Belgian golden base didn't really show up for me, but I think this is a pretty good example of what a fruit beer can be. (766 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bomber into my Deschutes tulip...

A - A semi-murky copper color pours out leaving an off white head, and some pretty nice lacing!

S - Definately berries, and mixed with the alcohol aroma kinda smells a little like Robatusin! Maybe a real strong wine cooler or something.

T - Warming berries is the first impression. Slightly malty, with some spicy yeasty notes too.

M - Medium mouthfeel, but very carbonated... almost fizzy

O - Hmm, this beer is very different in a good way. This beer lives up to the name, and what it's supposed to be. (556 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -3%

A: amber body, 2 finger big head, solid lacing

S: big aroma of blueberries, blackberries, hint of malt

T: same as the nose, but slight tart dry finish

M: med body, big carbonation

O: It was interesting and glad I tried it, but
do not think I will be aching for this beer again.

GOOD, NOT A MUST HAVE! (306 characters)

2.65/5  rDev -28.2%

Had on tap at Crunchy's in East Lansing.

A: Pours a garnet with a dime of white head.

S: Huge berry fruit aroma like a soda pop. Just a hint of malt.

T: Taste is berry fruits with a wine cooler taste and considerable alcohol heat. I'm not sure what this beer is trying to be. I get very little malt or anything else but the berries and alcohol.

M: Fizzy like a wine cooler.

O: I did not like this beer. (407 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +11.1%

Previously sampled in bottle, which came across as very muted without much standout charachter. This draft version was exactly what i was hoping for.

Pours a clean and clear coppery gold color, small cap of white head, lingers and leaves a touch of lacing. Scent is dominated by the promised notes of blueberry and blackberry, faint notes of alcohol follow with a moderate amount of grahmn cracker sweetness. Taste again is fruit forward, especially at serving temp. Blueberry is at the front with a light tartness, blackberry and faint hints of concentrated grape juice. Slightly cloying by time the 10oz is over. A grahmn crackery sweetness seems to intensify as the drink warms, a little spice comes out as well. Alcohol is quite noticeable. Medium bodied, carbonation is moderate, lightly dry. Overall i prefered this to the bottle, the fruit stood out more, even though the beer felt more one dimensional. (911 characters)

Black & Blue from Dogfish Head Brewery