Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

Reviews: 520 | Hads: 1,587
3.44/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: A reddish-amber color with a one-and-half finger white head that turns in a nice white lace.

S: A very thick, sweet, berry aroma with hints of citrus fill the nostrils.

T: A very sweet beer that hides the alcohol well. The berries are present throughout and with the aftertaste. It is almost wine-like.

M: Medium body and medium-carbonation. Pretty light for such a high alcohol beer.

O: A very interesting fruit beer. Nothing I could drink 3 or 4 of, but a nice sipping beer.

3.77/5  rDev +2.4%

Taken from notes last week when visiting Dogfish Brewpub:Served in snifter

A: Poured a rich dark amber color with some heavy lacing down sides of my glass.

S: Aroma is of a berry berry sweetness of fruits and malts.

T: Black and Blue indeed, Full of Blackberry and blueberry taste.The flavor is huge in this one and a solid malt backbone to make this one not just a malt beverage but a great beer.

M: Medium bodied with a slight estery/alchoholic taste.

O: I would definitly buy this again, will have to check out a bottle of it at home sometime.

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: 750 mL bottle poured into a Unibroue tulip in a couple parts. 2011 vintage.

Appearance: Medium brown in color with some blue highlights. A nice two finger, white and sticky head. Impressive lacing and good retention.

Aroma: The blueberries definitely are assertive here. Sweet blueberry notes definitely stand out. A little tart blackberry note, but it is definitely overwhelmed here. Not a ton else.

Taste: Big blueberry essence gives way to sweet caramel malt and surpirsingly bitter hops. The hops don't really lend a citrus note but are just bittering. The resulting flavor comes off very medicinal and astrigent at times. When the backing notes do not dominate, the blueberry really shines and is nice but most of the time, the medicinal flavors overwhelm.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full bodied and rather syrupy.

Overall, some nice blueberry notes that are at times overwhelmed by too many medicinal notes. The blackberry also really never comes through. Not a bad beer by any stretch, just not really worth getting more than once in my opinion.

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%

I had recently tried Dogfish Head’s Red & White and loved it. Then, I heard that they had a “sister” brew called Black & Blue and I had to run out and get it. We are getting quite patriotic with the color choices here and I like it. Amuricah!

The beer pours a transparent brown tinted with a strong pink hue. Actually, it looks pretty cool when I pick up my glass because it tints my hands red. Anyway, the beer pours about a two finger tall head that retains a nice lacing along the glass throughout the drink. The head also has a slight pink tint too it, which is quite unique. Outside of the fact that pink is not considered very masculine or normal for a beer, it is a very interesting façade.

The black & blue [sic] berries punch you in the nose on the first whiff. The blueberries are definitely more distinct. The aroma assemblage is not very complex outside of that. The taste is very similar to any other blueberry beer I have had in the past. It leads with a refreshing sweetness and then finishes with a distinct tartness. I hear that DfH uses real berries instead of artificial flavorings. That allows the distinct taste to ferment into the beer, which I would assume adds to the ABV. I wonder how much the quality of the berries can influence the variation in the taste of the beer. To conclude on the taste, it is good, but not unique in my opinion.

This beer is very light bodied and packs a light carbonation. It leaves a coating in your mouth that I am not extremely fond of. That coating parts with a lingering fermented berry taste.

Overall, I choose Red & White. I think Black & Blue lacks a uniqueness to separate itself from other blueberry-flavored beers. I could probably get a six-pack of another blueberry beer for the same price as I paid for this bottled pint and get a very similar taste. That being said, I have had some blueberry-flavored wheats that are artificially flavored and taste nothing like blueberries. This beer is not that hopeless.

4.12/5  rDev +12%

Had a sample last night at the brewpub in Rehoboth. I'm normally not a fan of fruit beers but had to try this one. WOW. Belgian Strong with blackberries and blueberries. Berries very noticeable in the aroma/flavor, but I don't know if I didn't know what they were that I would have been able to tell. Very well balanced between maltiness and fruit flavor. Don't think I could drink a full pint, but this is a perfectly executed fruit beer.

4.42/5  rDev +20.1%

This is a unique and well balanced fruit beer.

The appearance is a slightly reddish golden in color. Didn't get a lot of head and disappears quickly.

The smell is a pleasant fruity alcohol. I catch the blackberry aroma.

Taste is a balanced alcohol with fruit. The fruit is just right for the balance.

Mouthfeel is moderate not light and not thick. I like it.

Overall a great beer for the style. However, at $10 a bottle only a few can afford to drink much of this one.

3.08/5  rDev -16.3%

Received a bottle of this one as a gift from my wife for some holiday or other. Poured a reddish-orange color with a slightly off-white head. Somewhat tart on the nose, with aromas of dark berries, alcohol and candi sugar. Medium bodied and tart, with flavors of dark berries, candi sugar and booze.

3.41/5  rDev -7.3%

Eh. This is a beer that is not sure what it wants to be. Pours an attractive reddish color, impressive head with some decent lacing. Not as much berry scent on the nose as one would expect. It is there but its not strong. Tastes of fermented raspberries, not much hops or too much of anything else. Mouthfeel is ok, not syrupy like I expected. Ok beer, nothing I would go out and buy again.

3.26/5  rDev -11.4%

Let me preface with this statement: I love dogfish head brews, with 90 minute, Squall, Chateau Jiahu, Burton Baton, Sahtea, and World Wide Stout being among my favorite craft brews.

A: It pours a light red, pretty translucent with just a rim lacing and a slight head with first pour.

S: It has a light, fruity, berry sort of smell. Pretty one dimensional, but I'm not good at smelling things anyway.

T: Honestly, it hits me like a strong raspberry lambic. It's very tart and is almost like a raspberry champagne. For the amount of berries described in the fermentation, I would expect sweetness, but it's more tart, dry, and raspberry than anything else. I'm trying to find the blueberry, but I just can't. Maybe a bit of it lingers in the aftertaste, but it's almost nonexistent.

M: This is nice and fizzy with not much lingering, and what I would expect out of a berry ale.

O: This is surprisingly good. It's light, refreshing, but I would've liked more:

Balance...it's VERY tart.

If I saw this again where I usually frequent, I would buy it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get it.

2.11/5  rDev -42.7%

If I wanted to drink a fruity champagne I'd drink a fruity champagne.

Dogfish Head is know for their "off-centered" beers. It's one of the primary appeals of the brewery and one of the reasons why I'll consistently get their product. But their penchant for experimentation means they sometimes miss the mark. And this one is a big miss.

This bottle was a year old when we cracked it; served the beer in wine glasses. Poured a quite lovely reddish color with a tiny head. The brew was murky but in an appealing way. It LOOKED great.

The aroma was ... well, it was not the aroma of beer. Smelled like a glass of champagne. The aroma of raspberry and blueberry were very much present. The smell "sparkled." Still, I rated it decently because while it didn't smell like beer it was still a pleasant aroma.

But the taste. Ugh, the taste. Judged as a BEER and not as another beverage it's hard to judge this one favorably. The brew was light-bodied bordering on thin. The bright, active carbonation and heavy fruits tasted more of champagne than beer. There is a *touch* of beer in the finish, but only a little. The tart of the raspberry was countered by the blueberry, but they didn't merge well with the overall package. Four of us tried it and the agreement was universal; this tasted like a fruity champagne, not beer.

Which is fine if you like champagne. I don't.

I've had many ups and a few stray downs with Dogfish Head's experiments. Even the downs I at least appreciated the experience and enjoyed having my expectations turned on their head.

But not this time. I'd rather drink a macro lager than this. Really. Huge thumbs down.

4.05/5  rDev +10.1%

750 mL bottle poured into white wine glasses because unfortunately we do not have any better glassware to sip this wonderful brew. Pours a cran-apple color, almost a pink amber with a light thin head.

I get a lot of red raspberries in the nose along with the maltiness and of course you can smell the alcohol as well.

The taste to me is all red raspberries. I eat red and black raspberries quite often and I dont get as much black raspberry in the taste, despite them being in the beer. Maybe my palate is just not that strong at differentiating. I might say there is some blueberry but it definitely doesnt come off as fresh blueberries. What do I know though. There is malt, yeast, and almost a tart cherry to it, faintly like a Belgian-style ale. Lots of alcohol in the throat, but of course this is a 10% ABV brew.

Mouthfeel is watery but tingles across the tongue from a lot of carbonation, almost like a champagne.

I could drink this for a lot of different reasons but its not highly drinkable due to the carbonation and alcohol level. It makes me burp, but it doesnt bother me.

For the price I wont buy up the store but if I see another bottle, I am most likely going to snag it.

3.07/5  rDev -16.6%

Vintage 2007: bottled 2/13/07

A: Pours a honey golden with red hue. Less than one finger loose foam slowly dissipates, eventually leaving broken surface of the same. Little visible bubbles.

S: Blackberries and blueberries well here. Below this is a malt backbone. Nothing special. Slightly tart.

T: Very sweet. I was hoping that over the years, the beer would maybe enjoy a little souring, but it seems no infection here. Maybe even not a live bottle.

M: Medium body with light and spritely carbonation. Like a thinned down syrup. Sticks in the mouth a bit. Not too much though.

D: This ale is drinkable, but would prefer more tartness from the berries if at all possible.

750mL bottle poured into a tulip. Yet again, thank you cjacobsen for sharing!

(A)- Pours a cloudy reddish orange color. Produced lots of white bubbles.

(S)- Dark fruits of blueberry, cranberry, and raspberry with a lightly dry oakiness.

(T)- Same as the smell. Has a nice profile of raspberry and blueberry with hints at a pomegranate too.

(M)- A good carbonation level and balance. A good complex fruit profile. Smooth.

(D)- Crisp and refreshing. Great fruit profile, yet sort of straightforward. Still enjoyable and tasty. Definitely a good fruit beer

4.52/5  rDev +22.8%

A: Very cloudy reddish color, kinda like the inside of a blueberry. Medium head with nice lacing

S: Nice berry aroma with a hint of Belgian yeast.

T: Very subtle very smooth. The berry's blend very nicely into a sour saison like beer with warm sweet earthy notes and tart berry finish. I really like the smoothness of the flavors.

M: Medium carbonation and mouth feel,the flavors lingers nicely.

D: This is always a repeat beer for me, i find it perfect for sipping while sitting around a nice big campfire.

4.35/5  rDev +18.2%

Split this bottle w/ a buddy. This is my second time enjoying this unique brew. Pours a purple w/ red hints, not really what you see everyday in a beer, looks great. I can smell blueberries, blackberries, vanilla. Those characterisitics are very noticeable in the taste as well. Pretty malty w/ a tart sweetness. Finishes sharp, well carbonated. Drinkability is good, but since it's borderline cloyingly sweet, it loses a point. The taste will have you coming back for more; alcohol is masked, but it's still dangerously drinkable. Awesome brew!

This definitely isn't your ordinary beer.. but the flavors alone make this very worthy. These are the kind of beers I expect from DFH. Well done, recommended!

4.8/5  rDev +30.4%

750 ml capped bottle poured into a tulip.

purple-ish colored with light, fizzy head.

Smelled strongly of berries, slightly earthy and smokey.

The brew was amazingly easy to drink. Very smooth with a slightly tart finish. I am traditionally not a fan of fruit flavored beers because of their tendancy to be very sweet and tart. Black and Blue was much more subtly flavored - I'm guessing due to the use of pureed fruit insteed of just flavoring.

Overall I thought it was very easy to drink and I enjoyed every aspect of the brew. I will definitely be buying this again.

4.42/5  rDev +20.1%

A - Cloudy red-ish orange hues, light head.

S - You can really smell the blackberries and blueberries.

T - Fruity with a sour after taste. Not strong tasting you can still taste the beer through the fruit.

M - Good carbonation, light.

D - Drank the 750ml by myself so I would say its very drinkable.

3.92/5  rDev +6.5%

A- Hazy reddish purple with a medium white head and seafoam lacing.

S- Blueberries, blackberries, toffee

T- Malts, sweet and tart, toffee, blueberries and a blackberry finish.

M- Warm, very well balanced. Nothing overpowering. Dry finish.

D- Very drinkable. Fruity but well balanced. Not overly sweet. Delicious.

3.76/5  rDev +2.2%

I poured this into a large burgundy wine glass, and the brew produced about a two finger thick and off white colored cranium. Body appearance is hazy with a brownish red color.

Aroma is a bit light with hints of blue berry, and slight toffee.

I was pleased with the taste. I guess I was expecting a malternative type of drink, but this really melds together quite well between the malt and the fruit. Definitely not sour, the taste has a more malty sweetness to it with hints of toffee and the berry kind of kicks in as if it replaced the hops.

Carbonated moderately with a dry overall feel. There is a bit of alcohol warmness in the end.

2.7/5  rDev -26.6%

On tap in a tulip. Deep reddish amber with good glarity. The smallish off-white cap of foam fairly quickly shrinks to a collar of froth with a skim floating in the middle. Surprisingly decent lacing is left behind.

Fairly strong berry aromas with some husky grain and a vaguely Belgian yeastiness. Tastes pretty much as advertised, sweet blueberry up front, tarter blackberry in the finish, with the somewhat elusive yeastiness lurking about. A certain crisp grainy quality keeps it from becoming too sticky (the modest carbonation gets no credit for helping out). For a "big" beer, ABV-wise, there doesn't seem to be a ton going on. Seems like there could be potential with a few tweaks.

Overall impression: Pleasant enough, but rather forgettable.

This poured a red amber which was a bit surprising for a blackberry/blueberry brew. Decent head. Smells like the berries. Good taste to this. Can detect both the blackberries and blueberries. Slightly sour finish with a bit of the alcohol. Almost like wine in the mouth.

Easily had a couple glasses of this. A must share with dinner or after.

3.98/5  rDev +8.2%

750 ml capped bottle.

It pours a nice blueberry purple color. The head is fizzy and white but holds surprisingly well. It doesn't leave any lacing though.

It doesn't have too much smell, a faint hint of berries, but that is it.

The flavor is a bit more exciting. There is a nice tart berry flavor, not overwhelming, but enough to be interesting. The sweetness is at a nice subtle level, very nice considering the abv, I was expecting it to be sweeter. They have the sweetness level nailed but this one needed a bit more fruitiness.

Overall a solid fruit beer form Dogfish Head.

3.68/5  rDev 0%

Ok, grabbing big dfh bottles like crazy today! Everything is disappearing off the shelves! Someone said there is a tv show or something!

A- a reddish amber look with a good white head

S- a lift of sweet and sour berries compiled with spice. A little far from an ale. Alcohol is there

T- major spice on the tongue of sweet flavor that is sweet with dried berries. The dryness grows exponentially and is topped off with the alcohol. Good taste for a malted beverage

M- spiky on the tongue like a prickle busch. Ouch

D- wow, you can slam this. Dfh making another drinkable brew for the ladies!... And me

3.91/5  rDev +6.3%

I found this 750ml brown bottle at Sal's Liquors in Addison, IL for $9.99. Not a bad price for a large sized Dogfish Head product.

Despite the name "Black & Blue" for the black raspberry and blueberry puree inside, this beer pours neither black, blue, or any other purple berry color. Instead it pours a cloudy, reddish/brown color with a fast disappearing ½-finger of white head that leaves very little lacing.

The smell is all black raspberry.

Lots of black raspberry flavor and not as much blueberry, but the fruits and malts definitely dominate the taste here. Some tartness and funky yeast flavors keep it from being cloyingly sweet, and a touch of alcohol is also present. Not much hop presence at just 25 IBU's.

As others have said, it's more wine-like than beer-like with medium body and medium carbonation.

Overall I enjoyed it and appreciated the genuine fruit taste as opposed to fruit flavorings. It's a nice sipper, but I still like the Belgian lambics a lot better.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

Originally had this on tap tap at the brewery, and I thought I really liked it at the time. This is still an interesting beer once in a while, but the second time around I wasn't as nearly impressed. However, I have no idea how old it is... DFH seems to want to put "bottled in 2010" as the dating style on many beers these days, and the place I bought this at has sold old beer before. I have also heard of people aging this beer due to the abv, but over time, the fruit flavors will only fade. In short, this may have been 10 months old, and an assuredly fresh bottle might taste better.

Pours a cloudy blood orange color with a red glow to it, in the wider part of the glass it turns toward maroon or light violet. Nice small head and good spotted lacing.

Smells of strawberries, freshly washed wet raspberries, and of spicy peppery Belgian yeast. Also some slightly sweet, sharp alcohol on the nose.

The flavor is slightly sour, very tart. There are green fruit notes and lots of blueberry. The Belgian yeast takes over quickly though and begins to overpower the fruit flavors. Cracked white pepper, orange peel , and coriander.

Hot alcohol also tends to overwrite the more delicate fruitiness. It's not unappealing or undrinkable, but also much less hidden than the average DFH beer. Above average carbonation, and dry on the finish.

I drank almost the entire 750ml myself, so yeah, it's pretty drinkable.

Black & Blue from Dogfish Head Brewery