Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006)

Pour on draft at Coffee District, also numerous bottles at home.

This is how a fruit beer should be, soft flavors with amazing bouquet of dark fruit, but the alcohol backbone to round it out into a fine, fine beer. Dogfish just knows how to do these different beers correctly, love just about everything from them. This is in my top 5 of favorite beers!

4.97/5  rDev +35.8%

A: Golden orange. About a finger of thick head.
S: I get the berry scent and not much alcohol.
T: To die for. At sip tastes like alcohol with the berry scent making my brain think this should be berry taste and ends on a berry note.
M & D: I could drink this like juice (and am!). Get a bit of carbonation on sip and it is amazing. The scent and aftertaste make this easy to drink. First bottle I sipped. Second bottle I am drinking like a bum with his Thunderbird. I can't get enough of this!

4.88/5  rDev +33.3%

Thank God I took a cab from the ferry when I arrived in Delaware. This was love at first sip. A buddy and I tried our best to finish off the supply at the Rehoboth bar but sadly failed. I made sure to pick up a case on my return trip to the ferry (yes a case!)

Nice berry taste with both the black and blue berry flavors coming through. A dark ruby color and a velvety finish. I prefer drinking it from a snifter rather than the squat water glass you are provided at the bar. The alcohol (10%) let it's presence be known but it didn't overpower anything. You missed out if you didn't get any this year. Lets hope they brew it again in 2008.

4.83/5  rDev +32%

750 ml capped bottle poured into a tulip.

purple-ish colored with light, fizzy head.

Smelled strongly of berries, slightly earthy and smokey.

The brew was amazingly easy to drink. Very smooth with a slightly tart finish. I am traditionally not a fan of fruit flavored beers because of their tendancy to be very sweet and tart. Black and Blue was much more subtly flavored - I'm guessing due to the use of pureed fruit insteed of just flavoring.

Overall I thought it was very easy to drink and I enjoyed every aspect of the brew. I will definitely be buying this again.

4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

Wow I was blown away by this one!! Awesome peachy-red color as I poured it into an oversized wine glass. About one fingers worth of peachy white head with a good amount of lacing present as the glass emptied. A bitter smell to it at first and later on noticed a strong alcohol scent. It had the most amazing taste, both a sweet and bitter raspberry flavor first followed by a tart blueberry ending. Simply delicious I could drink this all day long. Didn't notice the alcohol at all, very deceiving, as I finished the bottle it began to hit me. I've got to get my hands on another one of these. This is the best beer I've had in a while!

4.78/5  rDev +30.6%

Dogfish Head Black and Blue poured a dark amber color, with a little bit of sediment. There was a medium sized head, that had a purple color to it. It smelt of hops, blueberries, and rasberries, so overall sweet, and bitter. It had a very unquie taste. First it had a typical dogfish head bitternes, then a taste of blueberries and rasberries, and it finished sweet, and smooth. It was easy to drink, and overall a great beer, very unquie and it may not be for everyone, but deffently worth a shot, and I found it very enjoyable.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%