Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006)

GeoCait, Aug 31, 2012

Beeradelphia, Aug 22, 2012

6demonbag, Jun 04, 2012

JeffSuttonTX, Mar 11, 2013
4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Pours an odd, amber mixed with blue and red. Cloudy with bubbles releasing, and a very thick creamy head that reduces very slowly. Bottle says bottled in 2009 and has a picture of a creepy looking guy wearing a fancy blue coat. Pretty unique color to this brew.

Fruity, yeasty aroma with blueberries, roses, and cloves, very sweet and strong aroma.

Taste is rich with malty sweetness, spicy yeast followed by a tart berry flavor. Well balanced from the tartness of the berry with a malt sweetness. Alcohol is present in the aftertaste but not overwhelming at all. Maybe a faint bit of hops that blends well with the berry tartness.

Pretty low carbonation, rich with a lot of body. Silky and not cloying.

Yet another very unique brew from DFH. Each aspect of this brew is executed wonderfully compared to other fruit beers. Expect lots of Belgian and berry flavors but still a drinkable product that is not too sweet.

jsp2, Apr 10, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

Red orange hue with a quickly disappearing head

Smells like black raspberry and blueberry, even blueberry pie. go figure.

Tingly mouthfeel, but light in my opinion.

Overall, a really nice unique but slightly sweet fruit beer. I was expecting something insane from Dogfish Head based on the other reviews, but you pretty much get what you read on the label, which is really nice. Might be more of a desert beer than anything you would want to drink with a meal.

csrbv, May 12, 2012

Walkerjgt, May 17, 2014

DaleStenberg, Nov 03, 2013
4.78/5  rDev +30.6%

Dogfish Head Black and Blue poured a dark amber color, with a little bit of sediment. There was a medium sized head, that had a purple color to it. It smelt of hops, blueberries, and rasberries, so overall sweet, and bitter. It had a very unquie taste. First it had a typical dogfish head bitternes, then a taste of blueberries and rasberries, and it finished sweet, and smooth. It was easy to drink, and overall a great beer, very unquie and it may not be for everyone, but deffently worth a shot, and I found it very enjoyable.

vette2006c5r, May 15, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +31.1%

Wow I was blown away by this one!! Awesome peachy-red color as I poured it into an oversized wine glass. About one fingers worth of peachy white head with a good amount of lacing present as the glass emptied. A bitter smell to it at first and later on noticed a strong alcohol scent. It had the most amazing taste, both a sweet and bitter raspberry flavor first followed by a tart blueberry ending. Simply delicious I could drink this all day long. Didn't notice the alcohol at all, very deceiving, as I finished the bottle it began to hit me. I've got to get my hands on another one of these. This is the best beer I've had in a while!

kurtissellen, Mar 31, 2008
4.83/5  rDev +32%

750 ml capped bottle poured into a tulip.

purple-ish colored with light, fizzy head.

Smelled strongly of berries, slightly earthy and smokey.

The brew was amazingly easy to drink. Very smooth with a slightly tart finish. I am traditionally not a fan of fruit flavored beers because of their tendancy to be very sweet and tart. Black and Blue was much more subtly flavored - I'm guessing due to the use of pureed fruit insteed of just flavoring.

Overall I thought it was very easy to drink and I enjoyed every aspect of the brew. I will definitely be buying this again.

velvetimagery, Dec 28, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +33.3%

Thank God I took a cab from the ferry when I arrived in Delaware. This was love at first sip. A buddy and I tried our best to finish off the supply at the Rehoboth bar but sadly failed. I made sure to pick up a case on my return trip to the ferry (yes a case!)

Nice berry taste with both the black and blue berry flavors coming through. A dark ruby color and a velvety finish. I prefer drinking it from a snifter rather than the squat water glass you are provided at the bar. The alcohol (10%) let it's presence be known but it didn't overpower anything. You missed out if you didn't get any this year. Lets hope they brew it again in 2008.

Keith238, Jul 31, 2007
4.97/5  rDev +35.8%

A: Golden orange. About a finger of thick head.
S: I get the berry scent and not much alcohol.
T: To die for. At sip tastes like alcohol with the berry scent making my brain think this should be berry taste and ends on a berry note.
M & D: I could drink this like juice (and am!). Get a bit of carbonation on sip and it is amazing. The scent and aftertaste make this easy to drink. First bottle I sipped. Second bottle I am drinking like a bum with his Thunderbird. I can't get enough of this!

jthor018, Aug 29, 2010