Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006)
« first ‹ prev | 1326-1350 | 1351-1375 | 1376-1400  | next › last »
3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

NolanM, Sep 03, 2012

SkateZoo, Mar 04, 2012

This poured a red amber which was a bit surprising for a blackberry/blueberry brew. Decent head. Smells like the berries. Good taste to this. Can detect both the blackberries and blueberries. Slightly sour finish with a bit of the alcohol. Almost like wine in the mouth.

Easily had a couple glasses of this. A must share with dinner or after.

psycle, Dec 13, 2010

Bullfrogchef, Jan 17, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

Appearance: Amber with a pink/strawberry hue. Creamy off white head with a good retention and lacing. Looks delicious. I love beer.

Smell: I don't love fruit beers so much. Smells sweet and tart, lots of yeast, no hops. Are there hops in this thing?

Taste: Really tart upfront. Pretty heavy alcohol, long finish. Yeast is actually pretty tasty but the tartness isn't for me.

Mouthfeel: Nice. Medium bodied, not too crisp, not too heavy.

I like subtle flavors and heavy on the anything tends to make me miss the point. This beer did that. However, I think paired with the right food it could be delicious but on its own this wasn't for me.

bshanly, May 26, 2011
3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Purchased in early fall of 2011, and chilled in my fridge for a couple months. Poured out of a 750ml big bottle and drank from the DFH snifter/crunk-glass. First time trying Black & Blue. Not usually a fan of fruit beers, but this one was pretty good.

Nice berry aroma, could even smell it when it was being poured. 10% ABV, but you really don't get the alcohol taste or burn. Seems like it could be a sessionable beer, but the abv might creep up on you. Strong yeasty flavor from Belgian yeast on back end. Overall, another good beer from a great brewery.... would try it again next year.

Supadup21, Jan 06, 2012
4.09/5  rDev +11.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Found in a discount bin of bombers at local store and was delighted to find this nice fruit beer! pours a beautiful reddish-peachy color with thin pinkish head. the blackberries come in heavy on smell with tinges of that sourish belgian yeast. nice strong flavor of the golden ale base plays under those real berries and extra notes of dates, licorice, granny smith apple on the back. as other reviews note, all the layers mask some of the booziness nicely!

trankin6, Apr 13, 2014
3.18/5  rDev -13.1%

Just purchased a 750ml of this new seasonal from Dogfish, bottled on date of 2/12/07. Was looking forward to this one, but this brew let me down.
It poured nicely, developed a decent size head and had a nice purple/ruby color. There was little head retention. Had a nice smell and initial taste was good, not overpowering on the fruit, although it did leave me actually wanting to taste more of the berries. The mouthfeel fell flat and left a chalky feeling on the back of my tounge. It's not a bad beer, but my high standards for Dogfish left me expecting to be blown away by this one and it did nothing of the sort.

foggylovesbeer, Apr 03, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +13.4%

I loved the Black & Blue from Dogfish Head!

This is late in the season to be having a fruit beer, but I found a 2010 bottle at a local beer store and had to have it! It tastes just like it smells which is great since it smells wonderful! Of course I am having it in from the 750mL bottle in a snifter. to be 10% it sure is hidden well, but most of that probably comes from age. if you like fruit beers this has to be a target of yours, it is a wonderful treat!

bravesandbeer, Oct 05, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

nelsor, Dec 23, 2011
4.7/5  rDev +28.4%

Since this beer has fruits in it I am already happy to drink it. I love the blueberry and blackberry taste that I get from it. I have had the chance to try this beer on tap as well as from the bottle, and I am usually happiest drinking something on draft.

This beer is a tad pricey, but I suppose since they use so much fruit and the ABV is pretty high then that would justify it. I am happy to have one of these beers and move on because it will definitely have you feeling nice pretty quickly.

This is another beer that it is a shame that DFH doesn't brew this beer year round, but good things come to those who wait.

The mouthfeel on this beer is wonderful and the fruit overpowers the alcohol enough so that you really can't taste it. The nose on it is very enticing. This is another great beer brewed by DFH.

TheCervezaChica, Jun 30, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +14.8%

This is from a bottle I aged in my basement for a year. Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter glass.

A- Light amber color, thin head

S- black raspberry, blueberries. The smell is inviting and delicious! Really gets your attention.

T- I first tried this beer a year ago and liked it alot. Bought a newer bottle to compare it with as well. It ages well! New you pick up on the blueberry, black raspberry/blackberry flavor but there is also a sour, acidic taste as well. Aged the acidity fades away and the fruit flavors meld with the malty backbone very well. It does have a more boozy flavor but very smooth and drinkable.

M- medium body, smoother when aged.

O- I like this beer. This is a very enjoyable beer for people that like blueberry beer since this has actually blueberries and blackberries in it. Love the smell of it and how the flavors meld together. This ages very well, extremely happy with it after keeping it in my basement for a year

Cord018, Feb 11, 2012

ThirstyD, May 31, 2012

adcaton, Oct 29, 2012

heshleman, Jul 08, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +32%

750 ml capped bottle poured into a tulip.

purple-ish colored with light, fizzy head.

Smelled strongly of berries, slightly earthy and smokey.

The brew was amazingly easy to drink. Very smooth with a slightly tart finish. I am traditionally not a fan of fruit flavored beers because of their tendancy to be very sweet and tart. Black and Blue was much more subtly flavored - I'm guessing due to the use of pureed fruit insteed of just flavoring.

Overall I thought it was very easy to drink and I enjoyed every aspect of the brew. I will definitely be buying this again.

velvetimagery, Dec 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +21%

A - Cloudy red-ish orange hues, light head.

S - You can really smell the blackberries and blueberries.

T - Fruity with a sour after taste. Not strong tasting you can still taste the beer through the fruit.

M - Good carbonation, light.

D - Drank the 750ml by myself so I would say its very drinkable.

Twister00, Dec 25, 2010
3.4/5  rDev -7.1%

I tried on tap at the DFH brew pub in rehoboth.

While the appearance in the wide open glass was real enticing with nice thick head that slowly disipated and the smell strong of fruit, I would have to say that was the best part of the beer. I enjoy fruit beers but this one took on too much of a "juice" quality to me. It did however pack a nice kick alcohol wise!

Being a fan of Dogfish and their try anything attitude I wouldn't advise against trying it, just not my cup of beer.

jpalm80, Aug 03, 2011
2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

Pour is encouraging, copper-colored, and nice lacing. Carbonation adequate, but minimal.

Nose is fruity, potent, sweet. Not my kind of beer. Here goes...

Taste? I just... don't... know what to say. A glass full of sugar masking alcohol. Like sucking down a bottle of fermented blueberry syrup from IHOP.

Sorry DH. This one was a mistake.

_thekev, Jul 01, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

I think I got hyped up for this beer thinking it would be something really great. I love blueberry beers and I love Dogfish, so I thought it would be a great combo. So when I opened the bottle, I didn't think the smell was great, but they don't all smell great so that was whatever. The pour was good and the appearance was a good hardy beer. When it came to tasting I think it was just something that I didn't expect, so I didn't love it. Wasn't bad, but I'm not sure if I'll buy again soon. Mouthfeel was actually nice. Overall I gave it a 3 because it just wasn't for me.

douceman, Jun 24, 2014