Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 2/13/2007 - Into my oversized goblet

A- Hazy amber with a faint purple tinge to it. Zero head no matter how much I coaxed it. Just a blob of tiny white bubbles floating on top.

S- Strawberries, black berries, vanilla, slight bready yeasty smell, wine cooler and plums.

T- Fruit is very faint in this, and the alcohol was well hidden. Little malt presence. Little bit of spiciness.

M- Juicy as first sip, and than straight to very dry on the back end. Almost made me cough on my first sip.

D- As much as I did enjoy this I don't think I'd have another one with age on it. I will definately try it fresh and compare the difference. Very easy beer to drink.

3.76/5  rDev +2.7%

The bottled date on this one was 2/13/07, so it had almost exactly 4 months aging. It pours a very dark rich red color with no head. There are visible bubbles rising from the bottom of my DFH snifter. The only smell I get off of this is a wine-type aroma and it isn't very strong. I like that the fruit is fairly subtle, or at least not with the usual accompanying sweetness. The raspberries are up front, and as they fade out the blueberries step to the front. It's almost hard to think of this as a beer as it tastes and feels more like a wine. I do get a bit of malt flavor in the background, but just a very little bit. I like this beer for what it is and I'm interested to see if aging will change it at all. My guess is that it will probably only hold it's own or go downward.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

Presentation: 750ml brown bottle with an oldschool, classy-looking German-ish label.

Apperance: Beautiful slightly hazy rose/orange beer with a fluffy cream head that has great retention.

Smell: Bright, sweet, and fruity; there's dark fruit in here, but also something reminiscent of fresh blueberry muffins, and just a touch of alcohol and vanilla in the background.

Taste: Nice tart raspberry/blackberry flavors; there's not a lot of depth here though, and the alcohol is pretty apparent.

Mouthfeel: Medium-heavy

Drinkability: Pretty high for the abv

Conclusion: This was my treat to myself on my 26th birthday; I'd been wanting to try this beer for a long time, and while it was pretty tasty, I was expecting a little more depth and complexity...at any rate, it was pretty tasty with dessert.

3.62/5  rDev -1.1%

750mL bottle served into a tulip. Thanks, FernMaster.

Pours out a russet/orange looking color. Its hazy but not filled with floaties. The head is off-white and 1.5 fingers at its peak before receding to a tiny ring. Pretty average across the board.

Pulpy, juicy berry aromas hit the nose first and foremost. The beer is brewed with both blackberries and blueberries and you can easily smell both. Some light grain smells come through but the berry is dominant. This is pretty vinous, as you can expect.

The berries are less dominant on the tongue. They meld together to form a generic berriness and that berriness comes with a drying, almost tannic wine-like quality. Sometimes I get flashes of, like, a bock malt quality. This is straightforward but kind of pleasant.

Mouthfeel is thin, bordering on watery. It doesn't contribute positively or negatively. Its just... present in your mouth. Drinkability? Eh. Its pretty strong on the berry flavor. I'm glad that I'm sharing this 750mL bottle. One 12oz. serving would be perfect.

Decent fruit beer. It'd be nice to have every once in a while.

4.75/5  rDev +29.8%

2.71/5  rDev -26%

4/7/2007 $11.99 750 mL 10.00% Bottled on 2/12/07 (three days after Red & White).

Appearance:

Pours a clear brown with what can only be described as violet highlights. Topped by a quarter inch of tight white head (also with a purple hue), that is slow to settle.

Aroma:

Sweet dark berries, reminiscent of Au Courant or Sam Adams Boysenberry wheat. Lacks the complexity and subtle nuances of Red & White.

Taste/Mouthfeel:

Dry astringent metallic/medicinal berry flavors, with a strong Robitussin sensation that summons up deep buried memories of the most horrible illnesses, and almost makes me gag. What happened here? Red & White was phenominal, the best large beer DFH has done in while. This is a chore to suck down, and may meet a watery grave in my drain before long. Alcohol becomes apparent a few sips in, with a bit of hotness that goes straight to the head.

3.38/5  rDev -7.7%

750 ml bottle. ABV listed as 10% on the label, but who's counting when it's that strong? Pours up the color of a Manhattan, or like iced tea with a splash of cranberry in it. Light pink head holds nicely for a while. Subtle berry aroma with whiffs of alcohol and a medarate grainy aroma to it. I can tell I served this one up too cold so I'm going to come back to it in about 10 minutes. I can definitely pick up on the berry content now that it's warmed a bit, noticeably the blueberry (I love fresh blueberries, one of the reasons I had to try this beer). This beer certainly does have an alcoholic warmth to it. After a couple of sips, my stomach feels a touch warmed. The berry flavor is subtle, taking a back seat to a malty, grainy tasting beer. No descernable hop aroma or flavor to take note of, although there is a organic vegetal quality to the beer, but not hops. Carbonation seems a bit subtle due to the medium-to-thick body of the beer. Initially malty and sweet, with a faint tartness near the finish. I mentioned that I love blueberries and I'm just delighted that this beer kept its flavor in check. I've been disappointed with any other blueberry beer I've tried because they always taste like a Jelly Belly jellybean or if Kool-Aid made a blueberry flavor. Sam keeps reinventing his line of beers like Madonna keeps reinventing herself, only difference is that Sam is God and Madonna only thinks she is.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

reddish caramel color with a thin but dense head.
the aroma has the raspberry and blueberry aromas, along with carmel and some smells remeniscent of wheat beer. i'm getting some plum as well. there is also a subtle astringent smell in there too, not overpowering or overly distracting though. whisps of banana. a little medicinal.
the taste is fairly subtle for such a big beer. it's obviously got the raspberry and blueberry again that hits mid palate. also it has the same vaguely wheat character in the mouth. pretty sweet particularly towards the finsh. it does also have a fruity bitterness towards the back end, though it's probably bittering hops mingled with the fruit. the malts provide a caramel and vanilla base for the fruit.
fuller side of medium boied with fine but active carbonation.
decent drinkability, sort of a big sticky beer, but the alcohol is well hidden actually. overall, worth a try, but nothing i'd come back to.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Dogfish Head Black & Blue is a tasty berry-flavoured beer. A lot of people hate on fruit beers, so if you're a fan of them then you'll like this.

A: Orange-pink colour and a 1 cm head that fades to decent lacing. 4

S: The smell is blueberries and some yeast. 4

T: The taste is all blueberries and yeast into a blueberry and alcohol aftertaste. Tasty. 4

M: Thick and foamy. 4.5

O: Fruity and enjoyable. 4

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

This beer pours a slightly cloudy, light reddish brown color, with a thin, but fluffy off white head. The head has a slight red tint to it. It fades slowly, leaving many thick laces.

This beer has a slightly grainy aroma. The fruit aromas are very subtle. Some blueberry and raspberry aroma. It has a sweet malty aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Very subtle fruit flavor. Slightly grainy, with a sweet malty aroma. The alcohol content is detectable in the flavor.

This beer leaves a slightly grainy aftertaste. It is a litle undercarbonated.

This beer would probably not make the best session beer. It is high in alcohol. The flavor is good though.

Overall: Thanks HimerMan for giving me the chance to try this one. Although not quite what I expected, it was good. I love everything I have ever had from Dogfish Head.

4.01/5  rDev +9.6%

From notes 7-4-08

Eye: Totally red. Very clear and red, blood red. Head is creamy, lacing superb and retention is great. Can I tell you more, no...Its as simple as that, straight forward and good.

Nose: Aroma is nice and strong. Blue and blackberries are very evident. Behind that is some belgian style brew, I think that its mostly the yeast character that gives it this "tone," there is also some belgian style malt character behind this, pale malts, sweet and rich. This is by far the most complex fruit beer I've ever smelt, however, I'm not going to really consider this a fruit beer. More likely I'd consider it an Belgian/American Strong. Its only fermented with fruit, I don't see it as being an active ingredient that is alone responsible for carrying the beers aroma, and flavor. Nice deep aroma, could be more complex-malt more forward, in better balance with the fruit, more hops, but hey....

Tongue: Tannins from the berries are apparent, they do give some balance to the beer however, as I really don't taste or feel any hops and bitterness. Nice sweet malt taste, hard to take apart under the berries, both black and blue, make a nice combo. I usually don't like blueberries in beer, however, this, perhaps because its mixed with blackberries, is great. Fruit flavor and tannins are a large part of this beer, though malt is huge too. Lots of Belgian characteristics in both malt and yeast character. This wouldn't be all that great if the malt and yeast characters didn't come through and cut as they do. Most fruit beers are all about fruit, this one is about everything...great.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Again, light on carbonation as should be a brew with high alcohol like this. Alcohol is hidden pretty well in the feel and taste of this brew, much better than in Red and White and Fort. Really this is one I could drink all night, nice and easy going down, slight alcohol balance-that is in the flavor of the brew it helps to balance it out-but it's a good brew to sit down and just chill with, finish the growler watch some movies...Got it for a good price, 23.99 for a 2L growler, when a 750 bottle is 12.99...now that's about two beers for 12.99 as opposed to 5-6 for 23.99. Bout a dollar or two cheaper for the growler. This isn't something I'd regularly pick up, its good but I'm not all that crazy about it. Check it out if you like Dogfish Head though. Great beer, one of the better fruit beers that I've had.

A - This beer pours a hazy orangish copper color. It has a nice 2-finger slightly off-white head on it. The head has decent retention and it leaves behind some nice lace on the glass.

S - It has a big beer scent which is to be expected. There are a lot of scents of blueberry, blackberries, and raspberries. There is also some honey sweetness and some belgian yeast.

T - There is a lot of blackberry and blueberry flavor up front. There is some nice candied sweetness and belgian yeast in the background. There are are also some spices and honey flavors present.

M - This has a medium body and good carbonation. It goes down easy and has a nice smooth feel to it. There is some sourness, but it is balanced out by the sweetness. A bit of alcohol warmth on the back end.

O - This has good drinkability. It goes down easy and the flavor is very nice. Overall, I thought this was a very nice fruit beer. It has just the right amount of sweetness to perfectly balanced out the fruit. Definitely worth a try. I would buy this again.

Black & Blue from Dogfish Head Brewery