Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

Black & BlueBlack & Blue

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last
Reviews: 518 | Hads: 1,576
4.65/5  rDev +26.4%

Appearance- Pours a hazy reddish plum color. About a pinky worth of head that disapears after about 45 seconds. Real inviting look to it.

Smell- A little sweet malt. Really big fruit notes that make me say WOW. I get mostly raspberries. I can tell its real fruit and lots of it not some fake flavoring.

Taste- Wow again. So much fruit rushing towards me. Sweet as expected but not so much where I had trouble finish the bottle. I get raspberries in the begging with a little tartness and finsh agian with a touch of blueberries. A real jammy like quality that I find to be fantastic.

Mouthfeel- A good medium body with a decent creamy finish.

Overall- I do love fruit beers. Its a preferred style of mine. Knowing that though I havent tried a hole lot of them. But that being said this is one of my favorites so far. Everything seemed to work well. I cant wait to find more.

Dark amber in color with a slighty purplish brown tint. Aromas of Blueberries, citrus fruits such as grapfruits and lemons, along with some yeasty bread dough smells. The flavor is very interesting starting off with lots of Blueberries with the raspberries not showing up until the very end. Plenty of tart citrus and sour dough flavors show up between all the berry fruits. The beer seems to have lots of fruit in the aroma and flavor but no sweetness to balance out the sour. The carbonation comes off a little light. The alcohol seems more apparent in the beer compared to othe DFH fruit themed beers I have tried. A very interesting beer that I'm glad I tried, but not one I would run out to get again

3.75/5  rDev +1.9%

Appearance is a murky dark amber with a small faint head on top.

Smell is soft sweet blueberry jam and fresh raspberries. That is all.

Taste is more-than-semi-sweet and also fruity, but still tastes like a respectfully good brew. Has a dark side to the taste that makes it very full body tasting. Tastes good, but nothing distinctly amazing. The fruits are blended quite well to make it a surprisingly good tasting fruity beer (for once!). The taste is not overly sweet at first, but over time it becomes sweeter; however, it does not become too sweet, but pushes it perhaps just a tad too much for a beer.

Mouthfeel is medium-full and a little crisp. Feels somewhat heavy.

Drinkability is okay. Sometimes it's too rich like molasses and other times it seems just right. Can't drink very many of these. The drinkability is somewhat confusing to the personality of this beer because the body is so substantial and filling it makes you think winter, but the taste is so sweetly delicate (although robust as well) that it makes you think summer. Summer to me is typically a more drinkable beer.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Poured from a 750.
Deep ruby color, almost purple. Looks absolutely great.

Smells like a toned down pale belgian, some spiciness, not as much fruit as expected.

Taste follows smell, very belgiany, and a bit fruity, but just less than I had hoped for. Not bad by any means though.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but good. Lot's a carbonation. Finishes clean and dry.

I did manage to finish off the 750 by myself as no one else was around. The first 20 oz went down easy, it got bland by the end.

Overall a really good beer, but I feel like the same flavor could be acheived at much lower abv. I'd drink it again, but I probably wouldn't pay for it.

3.23/5  rDev -12.2%

Just purchased a 750ml of this new seasonal from Dogfish, bottled on date of 2/12/07. Was looking forward to this one, but this brew let me down.
It poured nicely, developed a decent size head and had a nice purple/ruby color. There was little head retention. Had a nice smell and initial taste was good, not overpowering on the fruit, although it did leave me actually wanting to taste more of the berries. The mouthfeel fell flat and left a chalky feeling on the back of my tounge. It's not a bad beer, but my high standards for Dogfish left me expecting to be blown away by this one and it did nothing of the sort.

This poured a red amber which was a bit surprising for a blackberry/blueberry brew. Decent head. Smells like the berries. Good taste to this. Can detect both the blackberries and blueberries. Slightly sour finish with a bit of the alcohol. Almost like wine in the mouth.

Easily had a couple glasses of this. A must share with dinner or after.

3.29/5  rDev -10.6%

Appearance: Amber with a pink/strawberry hue. Creamy off white head with a good retention and lacing. Looks delicious. I love beer.

Smell: I don't love fruit beers so much. Smells sweet and tart, lots of yeast, no hops. Are there hops in this thing?

Taste: Really tart upfront. Pretty heavy alcohol, long finish. Yeast is actually pretty tasty but the tartness isn't for me.

Mouthfeel: Nice. Medium bodied, not too crisp, not too heavy.

I like subtle flavors and heavy on the anything tends to make me miss the point. This beer did that. However, I think paired with the right food it could be delicious but on its own this wasn't for me.

4.24/5  rDev +15.2%

This is from a bottle I aged in my basement for a year. Poured into a Dogfish Head snifter glass.

A- Light amber color, thin head

S- black raspberry, blueberries. The smell is inviting and delicious! Really gets your attention.

T- I first tried this beer a year ago and liked it alot. Bought a newer bottle to compare it with as well. It ages well! New you pick up on the blueberry, black raspberry/blackberry flavor but there is also a sour, acidic taste as well. Aged the acidity fades away and the fruit flavors meld with the malty backbone very well. It does have a more boozy flavor but very smooth and drinkable.

M- medium body, smoother when aged.

O- I like this beer. This is a very enjoyable beer for people that like blueberry beer since this has actually blueberries and blackberries in it. Love the smell of it and how the flavors meld together. This ages very well, extremely happy with it after keeping it in my basement for a year

3.79/5  rDev +3%

Purchased in early fall of 2011, and chilled in my fridge for a couple months. Poured out of a 750ml big bottle and drank from the DFH snifter/crunk-glass. First time trying Black & Blue. Not usually a fan of fruit beers, but this one was pretty good.

Nice berry aroma, could even smell it when it was being poured. 10% ABV, but you really don't get the alcohol taste or burn. Seems like it could be a sessionable beer, but the abv might creep up on you. Strong yeasty flavor from Belgian yeast on back end. Overall, another good beer from a great brewery.... would try it again next year.

4.07/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Found in a discount bin of bombers at local store and was delighted to find this nice fruit beer! pours a beautiful reddish-peachy color with thin pinkish head. the blackberries come in heavy on smell with tinges of that sourish belgian yeast. nice strong flavor of the golden ale base plays under those real berries and extra notes of dates, licorice, granny smith apple on the back. as other reviews note, all the layers mask some of the booziness nicely!

4.16/5  rDev +13%

I loved the Black & Blue from Dogfish Head!

This is late in the season to be having a fruit beer, but I found a 2010 bottle at a local beer store and had to have it! It tastes just like it smells which is great since it smells wonderful! Of course I am having it in from the 750mL bottle in a snifter. to be 10% it sure is hidden well, but most of that probably comes from age. if you like fruit beers this has to be a target of yours, it is a wonderful treat!

4.67/5  rDev +26.9%

Since this beer has fruits in it I am already happy to drink it. I love the blueberry and blackberry taste that I get from it. I have had the chance to try this beer on tap as well as from the bottle, and I am usually happiest drinking something on draft.

This beer is a tad pricey, but I suppose since they use so much fruit and the ABV is pretty high then that would justify it. I am happy to have one of these beers and move on because it will definitely have you feeling nice pretty quickly.

This is another beer that it is a shame that DFH doesn't brew this beer year round, but good things come to those who wait.

The mouthfeel on this beer is wonderful and the fruit overpowers the alcohol enough so that you really can't taste it. The nose on it is very enticing. This is another great beer brewed by DFH.

4.8/5  rDev +30.4%

750 ml capped bottle poured into a tulip.

purple-ish colored with light, fizzy head.

Smelled strongly of berries, slightly earthy and smokey.

The brew was amazingly easy to drink. Very smooth with a slightly tart finish. I am traditionally not a fan of fruit flavored beers because of their tendancy to be very sweet and tart. Black and Blue was much more subtly flavored - I'm guessing due to the use of pureed fruit insteed of just flavoring.

Overall I thought it was very easy to drink and I enjoyed every aspect of the brew. I will definitely be buying this again.

3.16/5  rDev -14.1%

I think I got hyped up for this beer thinking it would be something really great. I love blueberry beers and I love Dogfish, so I thought it would be a great combo. So when I opened the bottle, I didn't think the smell was great, but they don't all smell great so that was whatever. The pour was good and the appearance was a good hardy beer. When it came to tasting I think it was just something that I didn't expect, so I didn't love it. Wasn't bad, but I'm not sure if I'll buy again soon. Mouthfeel was actually nice. Overall I gave it a 3 because it just wasn't for me.

4.42/5  rDev +20.1%

A - Cloudy red-ish orange hues, light head.

S - You can really smell the blackberries and blueberries.

T - Fruity with a sour after taste. Not strong tasting you can still taste the beer through the fruit.

M - Good carbonation, light.

D - Drank the 750ml by myself so I would say its very drinkable.

4.57/5  rDev +24.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Beautiful darker Belgian-style golden ale. Real blackberries and blueberries add a subtle taste and tang to the beer giving it a wonderful (but not overpowering) fruitiness and complexity. Leans towards Terrible Beer by Unibroue.

3.47/5  rDev -5.7%

I tried on tap at the DFH brew pub in rehoboth.

While the appearance in the wide open glass was real enticing with nice thick head that slowly disipated and the smell strong of fruit, I would have to say that was the best part of the beer. I enjoy fruit beers but this one took on too much of a "juice" quality to me. It did however pack a nice kick alcohol wise!

Being a fan of Dogfish and their try anything attitude I wouldn't advise against trying it, just not my cup of beer.

2.17/5  rDev -41%

Pour is encouraging, copper-colored, and nice lacing. Carbonation adequate, but minimal.

Nose is fruity, potent, sweet. Not my kind of beer. Here goes...

Taste? I just... don't... know what to say. A glass full of sugar masking alcohol. Like sucking down a bottle of fermented blueberry syrup from IHOP.

Sorry DH. This one was a mistake.

firstprev| 451-475 | 476-500 | 501-525  | next → last