Black & Blue - Dogfish Head Brewery

good

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  10.00% ABV

Black & Blue is a Belgian-style golden ale fermented with blackberries and blueberries. Because we dose Black & Blue with real berries -- rather than artificial flavoring -- the fruit comes through in the flavor, not just the aroma.

The pureed berries are added as the beer leaves the brewhouse. In fermentation, the yeast -- the same one we use in Red & White and Pangaea -- feeds on sugars from the barley and the berries, giving Black & Blue a unique complexity and a high ABV.

(Beer added by: ggaughan on 08-23-2006)
Kelp

New Hampshire

04-23-2013 04:35:05 | More by Kelp
sendbeer

Georgia

09-14-2013 04:23:05 | More by sendbeer
billab914

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured from a 750ml bottle into my Lost Abbey sinner stemware. It poured a murky, reddish/orange color. The color looks pretty much like it has some dark blue fruit mixed in. It started off with a thick, pillowy white head to it but it faded after a minute or so. It did leave a bit of lacing as I drank it though.

The aroma not surprisingly has a pretty big fruit aspect to it. Both of the blueberry and blackberry come through pretty nicely. I get a little bit of a honey and caramel sweetness to it as well. Pretty good aroma for a fruit centered beer.

The taste also shows a lot of the berry characteristics to it. The blueberry and the blackberry mix pretty well together and give it a pretty good fruit juice like quality. It's definitely on the sweet side, but isn't cloyingly sweet. The taste is pretty much all about the fruit.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with carbonation being a bit above average. Drinkability was good, it was a pretty good fruit centered beer with some good and fresh berry flavors. It had a fruit juice like quality to it that was pretty good. Overall a pretty decent beer, and a very good beer of the style.

11-22-2010 01:07:26 | More by billab914
DrJay

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

This one poured a medium red colour with burnt orange edges. It also had a thin skim of fine, off-white foam and a ring of large bubbles that produced a bit of spotty lacing. The aroma was fruity, heavy on berry sweetness and a little yeasty. Mild bitterness with a lot of berry flavour up front, followed by earthy fruit skins and a slight tartness. A bit of malt provides some sweetness and there was a light alcohol flavour in the finish. Medium bodied with lowish carbonation. Slightly syrupy texture with a little warmth. Overall, the mouthfeel was a little dead. Decent for a big beer and impressive because the fruit really provides most of the character without seeming artificial. I split this one with my wife and she enjoyed it as well.

12-18-2007 18:31:56 | More by DrJay

07-24-2013 00:00:38 | More by chinchill
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

DIM sent this to me as an extra in an already epic box... Dan says he isn't trading.. believe him... I need the proper PA connection... Thanks Dan.. this was shared with my Bro... My pour is into MNFG...

1" foamy head.. sorta light pink head .. hazy orange brew... descent lacing and cap.

We were ready for this one... and were not expecting too much.. Smells like "beer" with some dark berries....

Flavor is better... big and smooth.. the berries are sorta mild... blackberry I think is the bigger player.. but as it warms.. I get a bit of tannic notes that Steven says is from the blueberry skin.... I can agree.. I guess....

I just wanted to be able to pick out a "base beer"... No dice.. It just makes me think of a big ole' clean beer hit hard with berries..

Steven and I tried to enjoy it.. thankfully.. it was the last beer of the night.. I am just not digging it.. I know how much this badboy costs... I appreciate the opportunity.. but.... I will damn sure never buy one. Dan... you are a true BA.. and almost certainly my favorite BA.. A good PA brother.

10-15-2009 06:53:08 | More by JohnGalt1
Zaphog

02-02-2012 16:38:12 | More by Zaphog
PEIhop

11-21-2011 01:16:15 | More by PEIhop
glid02

Georgia

3.43/5  rDev -6.3%

On-tap at the Brick Store.

Pours a syrupy dark amber color with a one-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of berries - both blue and rasp, as advertised. Underneath the fruitiness are hints of syrupy sweet malt aromas.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Thick and sweet malt flavors kick things off and are almost immediately overwhelmed by tons of berry flavors. The berry flavors start off slightly tart but sweeten fairly quickly. The sweet flavors intensify through to the ending.

Mouthfeel is pretty good. It's got a nice thickness however the carbonation is a bit on the heavy side.

Drinkability is just not very good. I struggled to finish what I could and didn't finish my glass.

Overall I was a bit disappointed by this beer but knowing DFH's track record (by no means a bad one) I should have expected nothing less than something intense and out of the norm. I won't buy this again but I could see some liking it - worth a shot if you like fruit beers and know what you're getting yourself into.

03-03-2010 00:06:38 | More by glid02
beertunes

Washington

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Poured into tulip. Poured a slightly pinkish red-brown color, with about an inch of slightly tan head that had medium retention and slight lacing.

A pleasant fruit aroma hits the nose, any sweetness is from fruit not malt. There is a slightly sharp tang behind the fruit flavor. The finish is a little sticky but not overly clingy.

A body that is smooth and a little light slides over the tongue. The drinkability is good, but maybe after a couple the sweetness might get to you. Overall a decent beer that's worth trying if you see it.

09-01-2009 01:50:29 | More by beertunes
Gusler

Arizona

4.03/5  rDev +10.1%

The beer sluices from the 750ml bottle a slightly chill hazed golden amber color with a bright white creamy two fingered head that settles quickly leaving a thin blanket of lace to seal off the glass. Nose has a sweet and sour note, spicy with a modest hint of the berries, hints of fusel alcohol, and at 11 percent ABV, no wonder. Start is ambrosial, fair to middling malt presence, and a mild tartness from the black raspberries, but not overly so, top is light to medium in feel. Finish carries on the sweet and tart duo, hops understated, and the alcohol present but well hidden, acidity benign and the aftertaste dry and tart. I’ve learned to like this style, and “Dogfish Head” has been the reason why, a “Marvelous” brewery.

10-24-2007 20:22:51 | More by Gusler
Brad007

Vermont

4.18/5  rDev +14.2%

Pours a ruby red color, which is that of raspberries and blueberries. Nice hue. Thick two-finger head that fades down a bit.

Aroma is full of raspberry and blueberry in the nose with a bit of tartness peeking out.

Taste is smooth and tart with raspberry and blueberry on the tongue. The flavors don't linger long though. What feels like wheat shows up in the middle.

Mouthfeel is not too sweet nor tart. Finishes kind of dry too. Alcohol is well-hidden. Easy to drink.

A very nice beer that doesn't go overboard on the fruit. A sipper but the alcohol is so well-hidden, you should step back and savor it anyway.

04-17-2009 02:07:16 | More by Brad007
DrBier

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

07-26-2014 04:06:21 | More by DrBier
johnnnniee

New Hampshire

3.15/5  rDev -13.9%

Pours a deep amber color with a reddish hue and a fluffy off white head that sticks around for a while. Smells of sweet berries, candy sugar, higher alcohols, lightly phenolic. The taste is not really what I expected from the nose. Lacking is much in the way of berry sweetness. I get a bit of tartness mixed with a malty sweetness before I feel the twinge of alcohol descend from my lips down my gullet splashing into my stomach. Tart sticky mouthfeel, medium to thick body, medium level of carbonation. I have mixed feelings about this one. I found the tartness and the flavor tasty, but the alcohol burn was a bit to much for me. Maybe an aged bottle of this would be better? I don't think I liked it well enough to put forth the effort to age though.

06-05-2010 00:34:37 | More by johnnnniee
THECPJ

Delaware

11-14-2011 15:42:01 | More by THECPJ
dirtylou

Washington

750ml split with the lady love, while i pack for south africas

appearance: pours into a snifter, bright amber body with a light beige froth and little retention...this one glows with fruity tones

smell: a nice sugary-tart nose, raspberry puree, blueberry and other berries, cane sugar, sweet tarts

taste: sweet tarts, mostly raspberry puree, blue and blackberries, sugary sweet and lightly astringent. better than reviews indicate and the lady enjoys it

mouthfeel: light and tart

drinkability: easy street for the abv

06-05-2008 02:04:16 | More by dirtylou
tobelerone

Connecticut

3.71/5  rDev +1.4%

On tap at the Copper Mine.

This beer really surprised me in a nice way! It pours a reddish amber-brown with a small head and only so-so retention and lace so it’s not at all exceptional to look at. The nose has a good blackberry and blueberry presence as well as some sweet malt and light floral hops.

The flavor was very sweet and almost put this into the dessert category for me. Lots of intense fresh blue and blackberry flavor, a bit of grainy malt, some tannic notes, and very mild floral hops. Faint tartness. A hint of booze in the finish but nothing that lets on the 10% ABV.

Medium to slightly full-bodied, with moderate carbonation and a slightly sticky overall mouthfeel. The freshness of the fruit flavor really made this an enjoyable beer for me. I’d like to try this in the bottle to see if it comes up to the same level of drinkability and tastiness.

Revisit: I don't like this anymore very much. Found the bottle to be too sweet and boozy and a chore to drink. Not awful but just not very appealing. These qualities would work better in a big stout but this one just gets too hot and syrupy after a few sips.

06-05-2012 03:14:50 | More by tobelerone
drummermattie02

12-07-2011 23:16:40 | More by drummermattie02
ShanePB

04-19-2013 15:15:46 | More by ShanePB
scruffwhor

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

I've been dying to try this beer. Especially since I haven't been able to get a bottle in Illinois. But when I made a quick trip to Indianapolis, what do I see at Kahn's.

The very preety fruit juice colorings make up for the lack of head, the bubbling isn't bad either. I was expecting a more pronounced berry aroma, but was a little let down when the nose came up a little short. I was glad I could smell the blackberries, but the blueberries seemed to be a bit obscured. The taste was alright, especially considering the fruits don't overpower the overall taste of the beer. I could taste the Belgian malts as well as the black and blue berries. Very smooth palate. But overall a little blander than I expected. I'm glad I tried this beer. But it was a little sub-par.

08-01-2007 20:45:54 | More by scruffwhor
xnicknj

11-20-2011 19:07:29 | More by xnicknj
ccrida

Oregon

2.08/5  rDev -43.2%

Poured into my St. Feuillien Goblet, the Black & Blue has a fluffy egg shell head on top of a light purple body with slight chill haze and lots of bubbles.

This smells like malt liquor and less so berries. As it warms, the malt liquor nose becomes vodka.

Taste is on the thinner side and also mainly malt liquor with a soft and sweet berry essence. Initially bitter and sharp, it falls apart to a sharp metallic finish. As it warms, the booziness gets increasingly more vodka like.

Mouthfeel is on the light side and creamy, probably the best facet of this sub par brew.

Drinkablity is questionable at best. While it was cold, it actually went down easy enough and drank much lighter then it's 11%. Once it warmed, it was so gross I desperately put ice-cubes in my first glass! That actually saved it, and I put the rest of the bottle in the freezer for awhile. So ice-cold, it drinks like an over-priced wine cooler. Warmer, it's rough - think grape kool-aide and cheap vodka!

Going into this, I feared I was spending $14 for a fruity malt liquor, and my fears were confirmed. Once again Dogfish Head suckered me into ponying up way to much another one of their failed experiments. I'm beginning to really resent this brewery, in spite of their occasional hits. Kinda like Microsoft software, I'm tried of paying for the privilege of beta testing. Resist the temptation, it may sound good and has a cool label, but is definitely not recommended!

06-03-2007 03:33:29 | More by ccrida