Palo Santo Marron - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 11-19-2006

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

Reviews: 1,997 | Hads: 5,439
Reviews by Hopmodium:

4.65/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Palo Santo Marron brewed by Dogfish Head Brewery, with an ABV of 12.00% This brew pours out a dark brown color, with a nice light brown head. The brew has the look of cola. The smell is rich with flavor and sweetness. You also pick up on grain, malts, and a hit of hops in this brew. Now for the taste it is bold with flavor, and sweetness. There is a lot going on in Palo Santo Marron. At first, there is a bold sweetness and it fads to a clean roasted grains after taste. The mouthfeel is full bodied and well balance, there is nothing overpowering about this brew. I like how this brew is different from most brews on the market. Overall I giving Palo Santo Marron a 4.75 out 5. I would buy this brew again. (717 characters)

4.1/5  rDev -1.2%

From notes on 12/10/13

Poured into a snifter. Color is dark black with almost no head. Very boozy smell. Kind of like a woody whiskey smell. Most alcohol I've ever smelt in a beer. Oddly, and delightfully, the taste isn't boozy at all. Nice warm taste of sweet fruits like plum. Raisin and caramel too. Would have given it a 10 for taste if it was a little more carbonated, but I understand high abv beers have less. Nice warm mouth feel. Makes you smile when you sip it. Would be a great sit in front of the fireplace on a cold day kind of beer. (547 characters)

This is my god damned go to beer. My regular. It's delicious and different. It's for people who think stone brewing makes weak tasting beers. Propers to dogfish head. This beer is the pinnacle of brown ales. Period. (215 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours seal brown right out of the bottle, with nothing more than a ring of khaki froth around the surface. If I had a nickel for every brown ale that had such a deep, dark brown color...I’d be broke. This looks straight up nice. Aroma smells of salted caramel and peat, with hints of cherry and booze. Spotty lacing clings to the glass as the beer recedes.

Alcohol wastes no time asserting itself on the front end, but once it subsides, your tastebuds are treated to flavors of smooth, rich molasses accented by butterscotch, brown sugar, and vanilla. It doesn’t take long before your lips are ensconced in a sticky, malty, residue that could nearly glue your mouth shut. Earthy, herbal hops provide a subtle, bitter counterpoint without getting in the way of the malt. While the alcohol felt a little strident at first, some habituation reveals that it’s not nearly as pronounced as you’d expect for its ABV. The delicious aftertaste is a lingering haze of molasses and brown sugar. A hefty body provides plenty of substrate for the luxurious taste, while very fine carbonation lends just the right amount of texture; the mouthfeel is befitting of the taste is accompanies.

After recently trying a series of light, caramel-colored brown ales, this was a revelation. Palo Santo Marron comes across more like an imperial doppelbock than a traditional brown ale. It wouldn’t be hyperbole to say this tastes very much like a barrel-aged Celebrator. It has definitely earned some of my respect for what I’d previously considered an overrated brewery. (1,572 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured 12oz bottle with date of 7/21/14 into DFH Signature glass

Appearance - 4.5/5
Pitch black in color, with about a finger of brown head, which dissipates down to a thin layer. This is how I like to see a brown ale. Well, perhaps a dark opaque brown would be better, but I hate when a "brown ale" is a see-through reddish-brown, as is the case most of the time. So a very opaque appearance is a nice change from the typical brown ale.

Smell - 3.75/5
Deep, rich, roasty chocolate malts, sweet alcohol. Perhaps a little fruitiness.

Taste - 4.5/5
Wood flavor which is similar to oak, but a little different (the Palo Santo wood). I'd say the difference is that it's slightly less smoky and bitter, and a little more sweet. I like it better than oak flavor. Vanilla. Slightly fruity alcohol. The taste of this beer is great. It's hard to describe the complexity of the taste fully.

Mouthfeel - 4.5/5
Medium-full bodied. Extremely smooth and creamy. There is a light amount of carbonation. Perhaps a tad more would be nice, but I think it has close to the perfect amount.

Overall - 4.5/5
Overall, this was a great beer. Firstly, I was a big fan of the Palo Santo wood. It basically took oak taste, and removed some of the aspects of that taste which I didn't like, thus making an even better wood taste. I love the dark, opaque appearance, something that most brown ales lack. The feel of this beer in my mouth was incredible as well. So smooth and creamy, with just the right amount of carbonation (almost). Definitely recommended. I will definitely be picking up more of this in the future. (1,596 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass a deep chocolate brown with just a little light showing through a quick to form quick to fade brown head atop.Alot of stuff going on in the nose deep wood and vanilla mixed with dark fruit and chocolate just really appetizing.This brew went down very easy for such a high abv I thought it would be more of a sipping brew (wich it could be)but it glided down quite easily,flavors of dark fruit, chocolate, vanilla-like nuget and caramel mixed with slight wood this would be a fine dessert brew.A great beer almost like a port flavor wise,ejoyable. (580 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +14.5%

4.35/5  rDev +4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

3.56/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint snifter glass. Pours a very, very dark brown, almost black, but not quite. Interesting and beautiful. A perfectly smooth and mildly frothy tan head which quickly goes away, looks just like an espresso topper.

Sweet smelling with plenty of coffeelike caramel notes. Slightly fruity with some raisins and figs thrown in. Alcohol and fusels join the party as well.

Wow. Sweet and alcoholic. Some smoke and hoppiness but the alcohol is a bit overwhelming. A sweet, alcoholic mess. Creamy on the tongue saves this beer a little bit.

I was impressed with the first two categories but the rest was downhill. I keep trying these beers from DFH and am continually let down. Perhaps, I have learned my lesson. At $16 for a 4-pack, I will not be buying this one again. (800 characters)

3.99/5  rDev -3.9%

Reviewed from notes from 3/20/10.

A: Half of a 12 oz. bottle poured into an oversized wine glass. Poured black with a shade of brown and a dark khaki head that disappeared immediately. What stayed on top of my beer left an owl head in my glass. The owls are not what they seem. Lacing was almost negligible.

S: Lumberyard, molasses, and chewy toffee. There is a bit of spice, with some cinnamon and brown sugar notes, as well. Also, some cherry and plum notes are hiding in there. Sawdust.

T: There is a spicy cinnamon hint that supports a deep molasses and brown sugar flavor. The Palo Santo wood really gives a nice depth to the overall flavor. It balances the sweetness with a tannin taste the hits the back and sides of my palate. The dark fruit flavors are present, but not dominant. The alcohol is more detectable as the beer warms.

M: A good full body, but it could be a bit creamier, for my mouth. It is kind of upfront on the palate, instead of washing over the whole structure of my mouth. The alcohol does add a nice, full finish to the swallow.

D: With the high a.b.v. and tannin feel on the palate, this one is just a bit of a challenge to drink. I really enjoyed the beer, but I think it's more of a once in awhile sipper. (1,244 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Palo Santo Marron bottled on 05/27/09B 12% alcohol content.

A- Pour a heavy dark almost pitch black fluid with tight tan quarter inch head that stays on the the beer like a boat floating on water. Leaves heavy tan lacing on the glass.

S- Stong malty scents burn the nose with help of massive alcohol fumes as well. Rich burnt malts, woody scents, and almost wine like notes dominate upfront. Very complex smell.

T-M- All i can say is WOW... First up is the caramel malts followed by heavy hints of wood like flavors that have a lasting effect on the mouth... lasting but not overdone. Semi-sweet brown suger and coffee follow with an alcohol presence but no overwhelming. Fairly smooth feel that leaves a nice sticky presence on the tounge with great aftertaste.

D- Drinkable to the fact that it is a great beer no doubt... but one for me would be more than enough. Would recommend. (887 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -14.5%

12oz. bottle dated 11/11/09 poured into a tulip glass

It pours a rich silky looking deep brown with just the smallest of ruby highlights. A small mocha colored head arises and then dies within 15 seconds leaving just a ring of bubbles.

The nose is deep very rich and thick. I'm getting some spicy wood, licorice and vanilla. It reminds me a lot of Bells Batch 9000 with a strong licorice notes. A hint of expected alcohol at the end.

I know the back-story for this beer and sad;y have never smelled or even seen Palo Santo wood so i cannot pinpoint what this wood exactly adds to the beer but i can describe how I'm perceiving how different this wood tastes. The taste starts off with raw wood taste with some very subtle spiciness like black pepper (much different than like a saison pepperyness). The end begins to get pretty vegetative and similar to wet grass which I'm not digging too much. Intervened in what I'm perceiving as wood is a very sweet alcoholic rich beer. The sweetness is right at the border of cloying to me. Once again my mind races to make this beer similar to batch 9000 in richness and sweetness.

This beer just coats my mouth in sticky thick beer. The flavor lasts and lasts in my mouth. Carbonation is on the low side which works well for this beer. For a beer this size it's still only average drinkability. I had some trouble finishing the whole bottle because of the sweetness. (1,411 characters)

4.16/5  rDev +0.2%

This is yet another one of those extreme brews from DFH. A very heavy dark brown ale with definite potential for aging. Although it is a great beer it is very strong and i wouldnt suggest drinking more than one or two. That being said, it is a very rich and malty brown ale. (274 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6%

This bottle was donated to the cause by my good friend bjones10. Thanks Brian.

This is an interesting brew for sure. Before drinking, I advise reading about it's making because this adds a whole layer of depth to the experience. Check this article out:

A: Poured into a snifter, it is a viscous dark chocolate color. It delivered a small espresso colored head that dissipates to a wisp on the surface and a thin ring. There's a small amount of spotty lacing but it never promises to deliver anything more.

S: Deep roasted malt, dark bitter chocolate, bitter coffee, vanilla and alcohol. The whisky-like alcohol becomes stronger as the drink progresses. I have to be honest that I am just not a fan of beers that scream heavy alcohol. It's just my personal taste.

T: Holy moly. Interesting stuff. It was worth getting that wood from the jungle because I am not quite sure you could produce that flavor easily any other way. First blush was a kinda vanilla and licorice. A deeper tasting revealed a licorice tangy sweetness, a spiciness with a deep, earthy, rich, burned, smokey, roasted malt. It's a hard flavor to put into words. At times, it has the dryness and dark fruit which gives it a dry red wine quality. Are you getting the impression from reading this that I am finding it complex? ☺ There's an alcohol burn there but not too bad. It definitely has that warming effect as you sip. I am not someone who goes wild with flavor descriptions in reviews but I have to admit that I feel like I may not have adequately covered off on all the things going on in this brew. You are just going to have to try it for yourself.

M: Mouthfeel is full, smooth and a little slick. There is a surprising amount of fine carbonation which works for me. I think it could become too heavy without the liveliness that the carbonation brings.

D: This may be classified as a brown ale by DFH but it has no business being called a brown ale. It's more like a strong ale but can come across in some ways like a RIS. I loved having the opportunity of trying it. It is definitely a great beer but it's too sweet and tangy and heavy in alcohol for my personal taste. At 12ABV, the beer is in the drivers seat - not the poor fool who is sipping it. You have to give it a try. It's one of those beers that makes you re-evaluate what beers are and can be. DFH may be surrounded by ridiculous hype but drinking a brew like this reminds me that their brand reputation is built on some real beer making prowess and pioneering spirit. (2,602 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

3.9/5  rDev -6%

A - This is an American Brown? If someone had just poured this for me and asked me to guess, I would have said Robust Porter. Didn't think it was to style, but attractive none-the-less.

S - Smelled like freshly baked banana bread to me that perhaps had some brandy poured on it, could definitely smell the alcohol. A very unique and good smell.

T - This is one unique beer, and I mean that in a good way. On taste, it was almost like a good Imperial Stout with dark fruit flavors most notably prune/raisin. There is also some black licorice flavor. You will notice the alcohol because it is there in abundance.

M - Black licorice flavor...syrupy mouth feel...am I drink Jager? No! I have to admit, the thought did cross my mind though. Good mouthfeel and really fits this unique beer.

D - I would almost classify this as a dessert beer. Sweet, a lot of complex fruit flavors, perfect after a nice hearty meal. I would not drink more than one at a sitting.

This is simply one of the most unique beers I have ever consumed. I'm honestly still not sure if I think it is really good or merely above average. I am going to give it the benefit of the doubt for now simply because it is so unique and I think must be tried by beer lovers. It give a new meaning to beer! (1,267 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +12.8%

It's rare to find a truly unique beer these days, and Dogfish Head has come through with a winner. The pour was great with nice lace and a silkiness that lined the glass beautifully. The aroma was quite intense with brown sugar, slight coffee and dark chocolate tones and prune scents all mixed together to form a very inviting scent. Flavors were very intense with slight port wine flavors mixed with bitter dark chocolate and a smoky aftertaste. It was a big surprise that there was not more of an alcohol flavor in there but the 12% blended in perfectly. Highly recommended and definantly let it warm a bit for maximum flavor. (629 characters)

Big, dark, sweet. Great winter brew. (37 characters)

3.28/5  rDev -21%

Aroma:
Sweet and slightly alcoholic

Appearance:
Dark, deep brown

Flavor:
I was really expecting to get a very strong woody flavor, but was pleasantly surprised to get a nice chocolate creaminess. The alcohol wasn't too present despite being 12% ABV. There's also a subtle hop finish. Overall, it has a very similar flavor to New Holland's Dragon's Milk Ale. (A good thing in my book.)

Mouthfeel:
Medium thickness and viscosity. Coats the mouth nicely, but doesn't leave your chest burning.

Overall, it's a surprisingly drinkable beer: creamy, hoppy, and packs a punch. Palo Santo ranks as one of my favorite Dogfish brews, though I wouldn't quaff it often. (660 characters)

Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head Brewery