Palo Santo Marron - Dogfish Head Brewery

Palo Santo MarronPalo Santo Marron

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  12.00% ABV

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

(Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 11-19-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Palo Santo Marron Alström Bros

1.25/5  rDev -70.1%

1.35/5  rDev -67.7%

I think we saved this beer too long. This was a 2008 bottle. Despite the ABV the beer was totally skunked. Last year, this was still a great beer. Did not continue to age well. Very disappointing. I wish we had reviewed this earlier, because this was truly a great beer.

1.5/5  rDev -64.1%

1.6/5  rDev -61.7%

I couldn't stand this beer. Normally I love a strong Dogfish IPA, but this is just too much alcohol which is overbearing. Some how I need to make my way through the last two bottles, bought some blue cheese/crackers to have something equally as sharp to be able to off-set the taste a bit. Tasted to me more like a a whiskey or something.

1.73/5  rDev -58.6%

12oz bottle served in Duvel tulip glass.

A: Very dark & opaque.Aggressive pour leads to a 3 finger head.

S: Smells of lumber...and something else unique. Palo Santo wood?...Nope "Vicks Formula 44" cough syrup.

T: Tastes like it smells. Wood and "Vicks Formula 44"...yuck! Also notes of burnt licorice. Alcohol is sharp and hot.

M: Coats the mouth with thick sticky sweetness.... too cloying. Then....a long lingering late bitterness....or feeling like I licked an ashtray. Brown ale? I think not.

D: Not very drinkable in my opinion. I shuddered on my first taste...something I never do with beer. As many others have said....I wanted to like this...gave it a lot of sips...but it just was not happening for me. This literally tasted like the vile cough syrup I used to take as a kid. Why would I pay $3.50 a bottle for that sensation? Well....I won't ever again! This dog was a drain pour.

1.75/5  rDev -58.1%

1.75/5  rDev -58.1%

1.85/5  rDev -55.7%

Just did not like this beer at all. Poured a thick, dark, sludgy black color with an off-white head that quickly dissipated. Smells like...wood and alcohol. You can't really get a sense of the malts or hops in my opinion, and I was not impressed by this beer, especially for the style. Tasted like I was licking a piece of freshly cut wood. Not cool. Mouthfeel was thick and unpleasant. DFH has much, much better offerings!

1.93/5  rDev -53.8%

I wasn't sure what to expect from this beer. A few friends had this one prior to me obtaining one and said they were not very impressed. I am an avid fan of DFH beers so I had to make my own decision on this beer when I saw it in the cooler while getting a mix-o-six.

Appearance - Poured dark with a medium/fair amount of head

Smell - Wood and alcohol is the impression that hit me the hardest

Taste - Bitter. Can't really explain it more than that.

Mouthfeel - Reminded me of cough syrup. I like the tast of cough syrup, but did not like this beer.

Overall - Not very pleasing. The pour looked good and smelled ok, but I did not enjoy the taste at all. I had a hard time finishing this one, and poured out the last inch or so of my glass down the drain. I usually like the DFH beers, but this one left me a bad taste in my mouth (pun intended!)

1.95/5  rDev -53.3%

Love this maker, hate, Hate,HATE this creation. The alcohol burn/taste is up front and quite stunning to the pallet. What other flavors you can discern (molasses and cleaning solution) are underwhelming. Please drop this mess and give us another treat, of which you have many.
All that being said, If you were already tanked and had smoked 3-4 cigars throughout the evening (I'm talking some heavy Ligero bombs here) this MIGHT pair nice with your 5th stick. Then again, if your that deep into it, your better of going to bed than consuming this potent elixir.

Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head Brewery