Palo Santo Marron - Dogfish Head Brewery

Palo Santo MarronPalo Santo Marron

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  12.00% ABV

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

(Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 11-19-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Palo Santo Marron Alström Bros

3.45/5  rDev -17.5%

a 2008 vintage. five years old at this point.

app: dark brown with quickly dissipating head. clear.

sm: figs, molasses and dates. fantastic.

ta: wet tobacco. weak malt. charred wood. dried fruit. a disappointment after the aroma, but still enjoyable.

mf: very thin. the malt aspects have fallen out. low carbonation.

overall: a bit over the hill at this point. the boozy notes have mellowed and transformed nicely, but there were not enough residual sugars to allow this guy to make it through the long haul. I'd guess this peaks around 1-2 years.

4.75/5  rDev +13.6%

4.1/5  rDev -1.9%

Served in a tulip glass at approx. 45 degrees.

A - Somehow, I am surprised every time I pour this one out in how dark it is. While not completely opaque, like an imperial stout, it is still very dark. Thick. When swirled around the glass you can see how it sticks to the sides. Low carbonation and dissipates quickly, leaving some lacing. A good sign as I do not like much carbonation in my beer.

S - Can definitely smell the booze in this one. The vanilla is very up front as well. Sweet smelling like caramelized plums.

T - The taste is much like it smells. When it warms up a little the booze is even more apparent. Not sure what Palo Santo wood is like, but it seems to me to be very similar to aging in a spiced rum barrel, or perhaps bourbon. The vanilla is probably the main factor contributing to my previous statement. Might have preferred less of a spiced rum taste as it was very prominent.

M - Thick. I was not sure exactly what to expect from a 'Brown Ale' at 12% but I guess, thinking of it now, this might be it. Has the mouth-feel, if not the taste or smoothness, of an imperial stout. Makes you have to lick your lips occasionally because they will get sticky.

O - This is one of my favorite beers from Dogfish Head. Currently, I am into extremely full bodied, hefty beers and this definitely fits very nicely.

3.25/5  rDev -22.2%

3.95/5  rDev -5.5%

12 oz. bottle, with a bottled on date reading 05/16/2012, so this beer is approaching it's first birthday. I have had this beer sometime last year, probably around when it was fresh, but I can't remember anything beyond that, so this is like a new experience to me.

Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours an oily, thick, dark-as-the-night shade of black. Aggressive pour yielded about a quarter inch of creamy brown head, dying out quickly. Thin ring of wispy lacing.

S - Smell is of roasted malts. Barrel-aged, wood smell, obviously. Potent alcohol booze smell. Chocolatey, but more vanilla. Slight hint of smoke. Earth & wood. A lot happening here, but it is all mostly subdued by the alcohol smell. As it sits, vanilla & caramel malts become it's dominant traits, as the bottle says.

T - Taste is of rich roasted malts, and a deep, lasting taste of spicy alcohol warmth from the Palo Santo wood. Sticky, coffee bean bitterness present. Almost a very fermented dark fruit / wine like quality to it. A smooth easy drinking beer, especially for such a high abv, yet it's just a bit too harsh for my liking. Very well-made, and an enjoyable & interesting concept though. I wonder what a few more years of age would do to one of these bottles.

M - Feel is dry, and slightly sticky. Hot alcohol lingerance.

Overall, a big hot boozy beer from Dogfish Head. Giant in it's concept and scope of originality, but to me, it is underwhelming. I will most likely try it again, but only because I am interested in seeing what some serious age would do to one of these bottles. Still, I'm loving the concept here.

Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron ---4/5.

3.99/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured from 12 oz bottle into Delirium snifter.

A: Black. no head to speak of, but active bubbles racing to the top.

S: Coffee, dark chocolate, dark fruits, alcohol. Very pleasant.

T: At first I wasn't impressed, The coffee flavor was overpowering. But after I let it breath in the glass for about 15 minutes it really opened up. The coffee is still there, but it's not overpowering anymore, joined by subtle chocolate undertones and a nice hint of the wood, giving it a dark rum flavor. The alcohol bites at the end but it isn't unpleasant.

M: Medium smoothness, a little oily. Sticks on the palate, and not in the best way. I can't exactly explain it but the mouthfeel doesn't match the taste.

O: I don't love this beer. There are things I really like about it, but the mouthfeel is pretty off-putting. I think I'm a little disappointed because I've been waiting to try this for a long time. I'm putting two bottles in the cellar, maybe it'll improve with age.

3.75/5  rDev -10.3%