Palo Santo Marron - Dogfish Head Brewery

Dogfish Head Brewery visit their website
Delaware, United States

American Brown Ale |  12.00% ABV

Beer added by: Imstillthegman on 11-19-2006

An unfiltered, unfettered, unprecedented brown ale aged in handmade wooden brewing vessels. The caramel and vanilla complexity unique to this beer comes from the exotic Paraguayan Palo Santo wood from which these tanks were crafted. Palo Santo means "holy tree," and its wood has been used in South American wine-making communities.

Reviews: 1,997 | Hads: 5,438
4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

Poured from a bottle a deep dark brown with a very thin tan head.

Aroma of sweet malt, caramel, vanilla, and booze.

The taste is roasted malts, dark chocolate, coffee, vanilla, raisins, and a clear reminder that this beer is 12% ABV. Finish is surprisingly clean.

Medium mouthfeel, creamy, and lightly carbonated.

This is one heck of a brown ale from DFH. A nice one to sit back, sip, and enjoy. (399 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +10.1%

Bottled 2/11/08 (glad they don't just give you the year like some DFH bottles)
Pours a dark porter brown color, nearly an opaque stout with a solid quarter inch of dirty tan head. They may call it a brown, but it looks like a stout; still pretty sexy. Aromas are signature DFH, sweet, sticky candy and fusel alcohols! Digging deeper, I can get some slightly roasty malts, chocolate, vanilla, and yes, some oak; but it's not overdone. It's a very fresh cut wood smell like you would get in a carpentry shop, really nice. On the palate, this beer just blooms. Flavors are much more brown like. There's just a touch of roasted malt, not unlike most American Browns, some caramel, fruity esters with a slightly watery finish. Despite the ABV, this beer is quite drinkable. DFH often struggles with these high gravity beers, but this one truly shines. The finish is more roasted bitterness and just shy of being dry. Carbonation is low and mouthfeel is quite heavy. It is really an extreme beer and I can't wait to see what DFH has in store next. I would like to see some more oak character, I felt it was rather lacking for a beer that stakes its name on it. (1,154 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

A: Pours a beautiful deep chocolate brown with hints of ruby on the edges. Tan head dissipates quickly leaving no lace and a slight swirl of foam in the middle.

S: Quite a bit going on in the nose, and I can definitely smell a bit of smoked wood. There's also a strong molasses sweetness to the aroma with some chocolate as well.

T: Whoa, this is quite the complex brew. An initial malty sweetness is balanced by the smoked wood flavor. Hints of chocolate, vanilla, dark fruits. The aftertaste has lingering spices, cinnamon and/or nutmeg.

M: Medium body with a bit of carbonation. Syrupy, sugary stickiness.

D: Where is that 12% alcohol? It's quite the sipper, though I find it very hard to stop sipping.

This is one of the more unique beers I have tried in a while and I find it difficult to categorize except that it's damn good. I hope DFH continues to push the envelope. Outstanding beer. (934 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -13.7%

Another of the unusual formulations to come out of Dogfish Head, Palo Santo Marron poured out closest in looks to a Porter. The body was dark brown coming out of the bottle, but in the glass, it looked pretty black. The head was quite large and settled down to a three plus finger layer of craggy foam. The smell was quite nondescript for a beer with such a complex origin. All I could smell was a little toffee, chocolate, and chicory. The taste was much more typical of wood barrel aged beers than the smell. I got a dash of vanilla, some sweet gummy flavors, a little chocolate, and a sour finish. I was somewhat disappointed that the alcohol was not hidden at all. I think this has some rough edges still which beg to be smoothed out by more aging. The mouthfeel was creamy and oily and the body was a little thicker than I was anticipating. Not a bad foray into wood aged beers, but more time is needed to mellow this baby out. (932 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -8.4%

12 oz longneck bottle, cool label and custom bottle cap. I have been waiting to try this one for a while, cracked it open and poured into a snifter.

Surprised to see how dark this is, looks like an RIS. Very black with a cocoa colored head that disappears very quickly, leaves no lace. Not very brown looking to me.

So the smell is sweet and very boozy, smells good but isn't very unique. Some chocolate and roasted malts coming through, and they come much more to the forefront on the taste. I didn't really get any sense of the woody taste, not really sure what to look for. Enough hops in here to balance out the sweetness. It tasted good, but not really very unique. Mouthfeel was medium, not quite full enough for the beer at hand. Drinkability is good, but not great. Maybe i am just missing this one completely, i don't really get what everybody sees in this one, and I love dogfish head. Its a cool concept, but i think the beer just falls a bit short. (962 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

Poured from bottle into Cabernet glass...

Big, rye or whole wheat bread-colored head. Oily thick, espresso-colored body. Lacing coats glass nicely

Copious malt and spice (can't place - a little cinnamon - maybe mild clove or allspice?) with chocolate and caramel overtures with some well-placed yeast

Heavy alcohol and espresso in the forefront with grassy hops (chicory tones) and sweet toasted maly

Very pleasant with deep, sweet alcoholic mouthfeel and finish

Extremely drinkable for style. Amazing stuff that I hope to revisit soon. (541 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -13.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours a dark blackish-brown with a chocolatey head that quickly recedes to a thin collar.

The aroma is sweet fudgy chocolate and some wood, coffee and alcohol.

The flavor is baking chocolate, vanilla and fudge and a slight hint of fruits followed by a slightly bitter, strongly alcoholic finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a little sharp carbonation.

Overall, the alcohol is a bit harsh. If it was as noticeable (or high), this would be a pretty decadent dessert drink. (495 characters)

4.25/5  rDev +2.4%

A: very dark, mostly black with a minimal mocha head that reduces to a ring quickly

S: Lots of aroma- caramel, raisins, molasses, a little chocolate and faint bourbon

T: Outstanding. roasted malts, molasses, vanilla and some smoke is noticeable.

M: full body, somewhat thick, creamy and no carbonation of note. If I didn't know, and was told this was 12%, I wouldn't believe

D: Mighty damn tasty (399 characters)

3.9/5  rDev -6%

Aggressive dark brown pour into a tulip with reddish/mahogony highlights. Lots of bubbles clinging to the side of the glass. Big mocha head that recedes quickly. Even swirling brings only a bit of it back. Aromas are most heavily of sugar and wafts of auslese like alcohol that I have come to associate with big DFH beers. Drinks very smoothly, with no evident carbonation. Smokey tastes coming from this one, along with burnt carmel. Some coffee notes as well. Remeinds me more of a stout than anything else - Great Divide Oak Aged Yeti comes to mind. However, this is sweeter - not at all cloying though. Bitterness provides a balance, but that is all. Alcohol remains in the background. Another tastey over the top beer form DFH. Not something that I would be in a rush to drink again, but a nice beer to hold onto for special occasions. (840 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

Just cracked open the first bottle of my 4 pack. Poured in to a pint glass. This beer poured a VERY dark brown (damn near black) with a small light-brown head which quickly dissolved, leaving a nice ring and small thin layer of bubbles. The nose is very sweet with alcohol creeping through. Some fruity notes also appear. I had this in the fridge for a couple of days, but the aroma really started to shine when it warmed up a bit. Very roasty and chocolatey on the first taste, with a nice warming feeling due to the high alcohol content. The brew has a fruity after taste that sticks around, but is quite pleasant. For being so incredibly dark of a beer, it wasn't as heavy as I was anticipating. As much as I want to kill my the rest of my 4 pack, I really want to see how well this beer ages. (796 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +4.1%

So my store was allocated 1 case of the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron, I was smart in picking up my 4 pack on Friday morning as soon as it was delivered. It turns out the rest of the case sold later that day...

(into my 33cl Chimay glass)

The Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron has a very floral nose of coffee, creamy vanilla, caramel, toffee with an added touch of spice. The brew pours a deep brown colour with attractive tan/red highlights. I got zero head retention from my pour (the bottled on date of only February 11th might have something to do with that). Beginning with touches of wood and malts and finshing with great subtle fruitiness, vanilla and nice touch of bitterness, this beer is very complex. The booming 12% alcohol content is definitely apparent in the midst of all the harmonious flavors but is in no way threatening or overpowering. Great tannins from the fruity character really make way for a long pleasant finish.

I've really enjoyed the Dogfish Head Palo Santo Marron. If you see this around be sure to drop the 15 bucks for a 4 pack. Try one, and let the other 3 sit. Thats what i'll be doing! Im damn sure that in a few months this beer will mature with amazing results.

(original date of review: 2/24/08) (1,238 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured into a snifter. A lot darker than i expected almost black. Ring of bubbles with some bubble-continental plates floating around. strong lacing. Odor is of strong fermented molasses along with raisins dates a little bit of smokey wood. Taste, at first, is a combo between a wee heavy and a sweet stout, with sugary, almost watery peat flavors. smokiness and vanilla comes through next, drying out the mouth. A definite alcohol presence, but tempered somewhat by the smokey flavor. Comes out overall more like a porter than a brown ale, imo, but it also sort of isnt trying to be any one style, i dont think. Wood gets a bit tannin-y and bitter towards the end, but not too badly. Medium bodied, surprizingly so. The first of these big dogfish head beers i've had that wasn't cloying and syrupy and all together hard to drink. Actually its hard to pick out all that alcohol in here. quite a nice drinking beer. Reminds me of alaskan smoked porter in some ways. (964 characters)

4.61/5  rDev +11.1%

Epic is an understatement when describing this beer. Full bodied and deliciously smooth. This is one of the best Dogfish beers I've ever had. Flavors of malt, vanilla, caramel, and nuts, with subtle hints of black cherries and fruity spice. This is a perfectly balanced brown ale with a chewy mouth feel and milky smooth finish. A must try for anyone who enjoys good beer. (372 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +1.2%

I bought a 4 pack at Famous Liquors today. There wasn't a DVD with it, but nonetheless, it intrigued me.

I poured into a mug. It's dark - thick tan head that reclines into a thin layer. There's a woodsy smell and very malty and sweet. I smell some smoke too.

It warms my throat as I finish each sip. Very malty - a hint of cherry or dark berries, even raisins (?), chocolate, touch of hops, but woodsy like burnt oak. Roasty and smoky without being charred or too strong.

This is an insanely complex beer and truly unique. This isn't my favorite style but I respect the hell out of this beer and the quality and uniqueness is evident.

I'm putting the other 3 bottles away to see how it ages. Being as complex as it is, I'm looking forward to seeing how it evolves! (770 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +8.4%

The last time I encountered this fine brew was last summer the week it was tapped at the Rehoboth Beach brewpub. Nice to see the decision that I yearned for, that is to turn it into a production beer. Looks deep dark mahogany with barely any ruby highlights when held toward the light large mocha tan head forms thick and takes it's time dying down even with double digit abv that's good retention not too mention the lacing that forms in even thick patches with each sip. Aromatics are full of raisin tartness with a sharp sweet brandy note about it, complex as all hell with a lively herbal incense like quality sweet brown sugar caramelized and drizzled over it all. Maybe just a touch of anise or some other herbal quality arising from the hop profile. Flavors blend so well with smoky, earthy, and woody tones all playing off one another. Mild medicinal alcohol presence but sweet dark roasted malts and caramelized sugars dominate the flavor base, deep fruit accents round it all out with more exotic spiciness kicking. Completely original nothing else to compare this brew to an experience every craftbeer drinker should try to obtain. Body is full with sticky residual sugars given it a light syrup texture even slow churned carbonation bubbles arising, really finishes with a smoky cigar box like note. Drinkability is excellent your 12 oz portion will be gone before you realize it, yes I know 12% it's hard to tell really blended well and aged to perfection here. I can't wait to try more brews aged in the new wooden tanks. This beer really helps regain Dogfish Head some of the credibility that it had for so long. A lot of their beers were becoming hit or miss this embodies the artform of brewing. (1,713 characters)

3.95/5  rDev -4.8%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours black, I mean stout-like black, with a one-finger tannish head.

S: Smells hoppy for a brown ale. Very woody smell, too.

T: Tastes of hops and wood, little bit of chocolate taste as well. Malts are present but not powerful.

M: On the thick side, carbonation is fine.

D: About as drinkable as a beer with a double-digit ABV% can be.

Another interesting beer from an adventurous brewery. Recommended. (445 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +13.3%

I didn't know much about this before picking it up, but with a DVD attached to / and after reading the package, I was in. Even though I've had some crazy DFH brews that I enjoyed but wasn't nuts about, I'm always willing, like many out there, to spend the money to try more. Poured into a Thomas Hardy's snifter at room temperature.

Appearance: An opaque deep brown, with hints of amber when you tip it toward the light near the top. Small hints of lacing and a head that billows and folds more quickly than I wanted.

Smell: Unfortunately the whiffs alcohol, though not unpleasant, seem to mask a bit of what I wish I was taking in. There's certainly the wood aromas, roasted malt, some pine (not sure from the wood or the hops), nuts, bread, and hints of fruit. Still balanced and pretty wild overall, but I was hoping there would be more.

Taste: There's a frightening amount of complexity in this brew when it comes to tasting it, though, with roasted malts, sour cherries, citrus zest, dark berries, different fruit from the malt complexity (some banana is evident, with hints of raspberry), huge complexity from the palo santo (which I'm sure I'm not even close to sensing all of it), dates, nuts, bread, sap, molasses, raisins, scotch, charcoal, smoke, vanilla. Finishes semi-dry initially, into some citrus, an odd roasted sweetness, and a long lingering roasted malt backbone with some oddly intriguing citrus hops, making one unique and lip-smacking brew. Insane and wonderful all around.

Mouthfeel: Medium to full-bodied with a huge velvety profile, perfect carbonation hitting enough for the flavors to come through but not enough to mask anything. Coating and enveloping without being sticky, letting the flavors do their thing.

Drinkability: A lot of love went into this beer. Even though I thought the DVD was great and enhanced my whole experience (not to mention DFH gets an additional thumbs up for using The Books for the open and close tune), this is a great and unique brew. Balanced, rich, flavorful, lingering, and top notch all around. Completely singular and worth the $12 or so for the 4-pack. Pick some up if you can find it. I'm hoping to let this age and see what happens, but I'm not sure I can wait. (2,237 characters)

3.64/5  rDev -12.3%

12 oz bottle. Pours nearly black with a dark red tint and 1.5 cm tan head that is bubbly and quickly diminishing. Aroma of wine, wood, and dark fruit. Initial flavor of aged wine and cherries. Flavor ends more woody and alcoholic. Light to medium body, limited lacing, lasting aftertaste, and strong alcohol presence. Limited drinkability based on alcohol level and personal dislike for wine, but a nice job on specialty beer. (426 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +12.5%

Pours almost black with a thick dark, tan head. Looks like an imperial stout. Very complex aroma, with notes of wine, vanilla, licorice, spices, and wood. Taste is equally rich and complex. Very smooth. Velvety mouth feel. Almost like a combination of a Quad and a RIS. Hiodes the alcohol very well. Finish lacks bitterness. That's about the only complaing I have about this one. Extremely nice offering from DFH. (413 characters)

4.15/5  rDev 0%

I made up a special trip up to Asheville to pick up this one when it came out as I knew it was going to be one I would like, well at least I hoped it would be. I mean c'mon what is there not to like about barrel aged imperial brown ales, from Dogfish none the less. So anyway, I put one in the fridge
the other day and when I got home last night I decided it was going to be the time to open this as a good night cap. I let it warm up a bit to a comfortable 55 degrees and poured it into my Rodenbach snifter. The pour was very dark, extremely dark brown with a slight burgundy tint to it. Completely opaque, with no light coming through even when held up to the light, remarkable. No head at all, well let me rephrase that, there was a touch of tan colored foam on the top but it quickly faded leaving it wide open, very interesting, and a little different then what I was expecting.

The aroma was very rich and sweet. A mild alcohol warming coming through on it, but not much, which was a touch surprising given the percentages involved here. Lots of weird oak-like, or maple-like, some kind of wood like smell coming of this, but hard to describe. Hints of caramel and earthy malts
permeating down through it really bringing out some depth. Now some really nice dark fruit like tone, not sure what to call it, but really nice, almost like a weird raisin, spice and odd sort of mix. When I took a sip I was amazed at how smooth this was. A rich medium bodied awaited me with tons of creamy
carbonation. This was incredible, as for being so strong, the alcohol was a mere afterthought. Tons of wood flavor were all over this and really quite nicely done to be honest. Really great flavors of light grass in the background mixing around with a good amount of spices. Hints of maple and cinnamon
way in the back and a nice raisin like fruitiness. Very dark and deep. Tons of caramel sweetness and a really great malt profile here. The finish was very strong, with lots of drying. Nice long lasting flavor towards the end as well with a really well balanced profile and a really great bit of balance. For something that was so big it was remarkably drinkable as the alcohol was more of an accent then a hindrance. Very well blended and just a great sipper.

Overall I was more then happy with this release. This has to be one of my favorite of the big Dogfish Head releases. It was really quite mellow and unique with just a great balanced flavor. The wood aging really mellowed this out and it shows. I would love to drink this again, and I plan on going to pick
up more as soon as I can. I would really have to recommend this one to anyone who is a fan of big creations or wood aging. It is tremendously well done and refined, and one of the best things I have scene come out of Dogfish in a long time. Highly recommended. (2,829 characters)

4.47/5  rDev +7.7%

Easily one of my highest rated beers on here... and I think I might be short-changing it just a tad... for what they were trying to accomplish, this might be perfect.

Pours a rich, deep, dark dark dark brown, only exposing itself as truly mahogany towards the very end. Moderate lacing and thin head.

Rich and malty, toasty, oak and vanilla and chocolate/cocoa... delicious.

Taste is.... well... first of all, where's the alcohol? It's clearly full and rich... but it's just not there. Vanilla and chocolate again, the tannins are more rounding and softening than puckering, but they sit on the cheeks while the tongue is caressed by a velvety but just ever so slightly prickly malt sweetness. There are no huge and dominant flavors here, just layers of rich subtlety.

If I have any complaint, it's only that it sits a bit sweet on the tongue, particularly after having finished my glass (I used a Chimay goblet).

I'm not sure anyone else could have made this beer... who else but Dogfish Head is able to produce such insanely rich and strong beers of such subtlety and grace?

I simply must purchase a 4 pack for extended cellaring, and perhaps a bit more for the meantime... if there was a beer to convert people to high alcohol beers, this would have to be it, I think. Just a fantastic drinking experiment. Kudos. (1,323 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Poured a dark coffee brown with a hazel colored head that was gone in an instant.

S: Coffee, sweet ripe fruit, burnt sugar cane and yes I think I smell the wood.

T: This one started out with kind of a toffee-coffee malt and slipped in some hints of vanilla. I can taste the wood too. Very mellow. I know it sounds silly but when you smell wood you can taste it and I can taste the wood.

M: Smooth, creamy, soft and rich.

D: This is like sitting next to a warm fire with the one you love, only you don't mind how complex she is.

I've been a big fan of the DFH hoppy beers and knew this was a departure from that. I read the label, but I really didn't understand what I was in for. This beer is just amazing. (715 characters)

Appearance - Nearly opaque dark brown with a creamy cap of coffee-colored foam.

Smell - Molasses, vanilla, maple syrup. Slightly burnt toast. Sweet without being cloying.

Taste & mouthfeel - Rich roasty malt, vanilla, cinnamon and chocolate. The mouthfeel is chewy, almost like a liquid molasses cookie. Quite a bit of subtle complexity; I've had this a couple of times now and I'm still not entirely sure how to describe it. A nice toasty bitterness in the finish balances the initial sweetness. This is a true imperial brown - it retains the character of a brown ale without ever dipping into stout territory. Remarkably drinkable for 12%. A solid DFH offering. (665 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +1.9%

I poured a capped 12 ounce bottle into a tulip.

A: It poured a thick near black brown body that looked more like a stout than anything else. the head was chocolate brown, composed of small bubbles and stood about one finger tall. It receded to a thin even cover over the liquid and supported a dense lacing that clung to the side of the glass before sinking back into the liquid.

S: It had rich aromas of molassas, chocolate, and vinalla.

T: It had an unexpected flavor of molassas, brown sugar, dark fruits, chocolate malts and dark yeasty bread dough.

M: Thick and chewy with a full body. It had a sweet syurpy front and a clean warm back. The alochol was well hidden.

D: It was a solid brew with excellent balance, a clean finish and little after taste. The hight ABV and full body might make it a two or three bottle limit for any session. (848 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +9.6%

Color is black in the center then a range of brown to copper then bronze on the edges. The refraction of light is very winelike. The head is dark tan and fades to a thin film after a short while in the glass.

There is quite a bit happening on the nose. Brown sugar, chocolate, coffee, root beer, ginger, eucalyptus and chicory (which is odd because I doubt they put any chicory in here). A lot of what I don't understand in here, I'm chocking up to the palo santo wood, but not sure if that's correct. Regardless, this is a very interesting beer.

Taste is singular and complex, with a lot more going on than even the nose would suggest. Confusing but not overbearing. It has the profile of a classic Old Ale due to the high amount of added dark sugars, but the herbal/woody flavors shift the whole thing just to the left of that. I highly recommend it, but even though this is my second tasting, I haven't quite got a handle on this. I should have bought more. The remaining two will be fun to age. (1,000 characters)

Palo Santo Marron from Dogfish Head Brewery